Cosmic Orphan

redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cosmic Orphan

I really like this analysis by Daniel Dennett, on characteristics in humans that are also intrinsic to many animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vse2E4_7Y7s&feature=related

It always amuses me when certain people get upset at the idea that we are merely mammals, or that we share ancestors with chimps and so forth.

Additionally to what Dennett talks about, I think there's no doubt that when humans are young, fearful, and feel vulnerable, it is not only entirely 'natural' or 'instinctive' to run towards a parent or adult, for protection, and for explanations, reassurances, but that it is entirely rational, pragmatic, and philosophical to do so, which raises the complexity level of the impetus and deliberation to do so.

And there's no doubt a terrible sense of panic and fear, when someone very young finds themselves both in the presence of fear, and in the absence of any adults, or ones who are more powerful/strong/brave/knowing, than themselves.

Fundamentally, this indicates a strong desire to defend oneself from harm/survival. During immediate peak times of duress, the mind suspends most other things that typically occupy our consciousness, and focuses strickly on ensuring our own survival.

We can see this component as being one of the most powerful influences in our lives, even in this modern age, where the vast majority of natural threats to our individual survival, are placed well out of reach of ourselves.

Humans look for defenses.

Humans look for reassurances. It is both instinctive, as well as conscious and deliberate. Rational.

Humans find solace in both having defenses to combat threats, and reassurances that we can overcome threats.

This can easily lead to desperation. In order to satisfy the primary 'survival' drive. 

What better defenses and reassurances could there possibly be, than, if we could have an ultimate source of defense and reassurance?

Any rational person would logically want that. That would seem to be practically universal among the human species.

One could try and logically try and 'think' up an 'invention' that would provide the ultimate defense. Something of unprecedented power. Capable of destroying anything.

What could possibly be better and more perfect than if we had a 'god'? That was always there for us, to defend us, and reassure us, and provide us with ultimate solace?

We'd never be alone. We'd always have that superhero.

Wouldn't that idea be something of immense desire?

Imagine the fears of a people and culture of immense ignorance, before they had understanding, defenses. How vulnerable and afraid they must have been.

There would be a desperate desire for such a superhero.

A desperate desire for a miracle.

Modern humans are more than willing to delude themselves into 'false hope' soley on the basis of it making them 'feel better' to do so. Many will openly admit it.

The god 'delusion' (false hope/false positive) being 'natural' (sic) in the human species, is not difficult to understand (where it could originate from, and what drives the human species to it) at all.

Having a 'cosmic superhero daddy' is immensely more desirable than being a 'cosmic orphan'.

Hence the immense 'drive' to find a 'cosmic superhero daddy' is the logical extension of the fundamental 'drive' for survival/safety.

And a human willingness and capability to accept a placebo, in the place of one in reality.

Dawkins was right. It's like a moth being drawn/driven to a flame.

Mystery solved...

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing that.

I had heard of Dennett but had never picked up any of his works.

I picked up his Freedom Evolves book about three days ago from the library. Thought provoking stuff on determinism, indeterminism and free will.

Dennett is quite a wellspring of thought provoking information. I feel like my IQ actually went up a little bit after delving into it and I am only on the fifth chapter.

Here is a real good video of Dennett speaking on Why Religion gives people excuses not to think :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLpZnv8Vp-E&NR=1

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 I love the 'sweet tooth'

I love the 'sweet tooth' analogy and how, evolutionarily speaking, having a sweet tooth is no longer a good thing.  Good information.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Personally, I prefer

Personally, I prefer Captain America as a superhero. That is a guy who kicks some major ass. Jesus? All that he ever took out were a few pimps and loan sharks.

And if you think about that scene, he must have known that they would be there. It was standard business for the time after all, so he can't really claim to have been surprised.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Our Drive to Believe

Good find redneF.

I recently read a book on evolutionary psychology which led me to some of the same realizations. Humans are problem solvers and when there are problems we can't figure a solution to, we just create one. A permanent sense of security sounds like an unanswerable problem to me... enter Gods.

I like the idea of this cosmic orphan - very descriptive of the dilemma.