Vilenkin in relation to Kalam Cosmological Argument

frankie609
User is offlineOffline
Vilenkin in relation to Kalam Cosmological Argument

Hi everyone!

Ignoramus here. I hope you have the time to answer my questions.

Part I

Vilenkin said in his book:

"It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man. With the proof now in place, cosmologists can no longer hide behind the possibility of a past-eternal universe. There is no escape, they have to face the problem of a cosmic beginning."

(Vilenkin, Many Worlds in One, 176)

1) What does it exactly mean when he says "cosmic beginning"?

2) What are his arguments the led him to this conclusion?

3) Does this imply that the universe really doesn't exist before the big bang? That the universe really had a beginning?

Part II

I've been hearing different models of cosmology and such include Vilenkin's model.

1) Are they just simply hypotheses? Or could they be categorized as a valid scientific theory?

Part III

Reading upon his paper "Inflationary spacetimes are not past-complete"

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0110/0110012v2.pdf

1) What exactly is the message of this paper? Does it tell us that the universe need to have a beginning?

2) How credible is this paper? Is it valid hypothesis? Is it a valid scientific theory?

Can somebody please enlighten me on this matter? I am lost.

Thanks and much appreciated.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Mr_Metaphysics

Ktulu wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Ktulu wrote:

Let me reiterate where we are with my question.  Causation implies that 'SOMETHING' created the Big Bang ( or whatever equivalent of universe starting point you believe in, it's not relevant at this point ).  What is the next step in assuming that this 'SOMETHING' is God, or even sentient?

All causes are greater than their effects; therefore, the First Cause would be qualitatively greater than everything that is--as such, it possesses great making properties such as omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, eternity, self-existence, immateriality, and so forth.  You don't have to call this being 'God', but it is worshipful nonetheless.

How are all causes greater then their effects? That makes no sense to me.  I think this is where we are getting separated.  It's not intuitively so, I can let a rock drop from an overpass exerting little to no effort, it would hit a car and cause a chain reaction accident where the forces involved are exponentially greater then the force I exerted on the rock.  

Perfect.  You - personally - have exerted the energy necessary to get the rock to the top of the overpass.  You exert energy to hold it in place, then exert no more energy if you drop it.  Gravity and the kinetic energy of the moving vehicles below you and conservation of momentum do the rest of the work.

You - not much force exerted

resultant accident(s) - lots of energy expended, way more than you put in.

Granted, we could go relative and say the total energy expended is conserved.  That is, the sums of all forces involved - what you expended, what gravity expended and what all those moving cars expended - are measurable and add up to some tidy sum that balances with some other tidy sum and will get you an A+ on your physics homework.  And I'll go further.  If you want to tell me that energy is conserved throughout the universe(s), I will agree.

But when you start in with an invisible, immeasurable, supernatural force, I'm going to politely point you to the previous conservation of energy theory.  All forces have to balance.  If a force is external to a universe, there is no way it can affect that universe.  And that would be true for any "supernatural" force by definition.

I am not a physicist and those who understand quantum mechanics leave my understanding in the dust.  Given a choice between - "we are not certain" -  and - "god/s/dess did it" - I'll take the uncertainty.  I makes a lot more sense to me.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Perfect.  You -

cj wrote:

Perfect.  You - personally - have exerted the energy necessary to get the rock to the top of the overpass.  You exert energy to hold it in place, then exert no more energy if you drop it.  Gravity and the kinetic energy of the moving vehicles below you and conservation of momentum do the rest of the work.

You - not much force exerted

resultant accident(s) - lots of energy expended, way more than you put in.

Granted, we could go relative and say the total energy expended is conserved.  That is, the sums of all forces involved - what you expended, what gravity expended and what all those moving cars expended - are measurable and add up to some tidy sum that balances with some other tidy sum and will get you an A+ on your physics homework.  And I'll go further.  If you want to tell me that energy is conserved throughout the universe(s), I will agree.

But when you start in with an invisible, immeasurable, supernatural force, I'm going to politely point you to the previous conservation of energy theory.  All forces have to balance.  If a force is external to a universe, there is no way it can affect that universe.  And that would be true for any "supernatural" force by definition.

I am not a physicist and those who understand quantum mechanics leave my understanding in the dust.  Given a choice between - "we are not certain" -  and - "god/s/dess did it" - I'll take the uncertainty.  I makes a lot more sense to me.

The point I was trying to make was that if this said being lived in UBER-verse, the analogy I crudely put together stands.  He could cause our universe to 'begin' without him having any 'omni-' attributes.  It's all just intellectual masturbation, using physics gives it way too much credit, if he were to be using physics to prove his point then we would all be able to follow and agree.  I'm just trying to get to the bottom of his assertion that a CAUSING entity is God.  Hence all the silly scenarios.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:The point I was

Ktulu wrote:

The point I was trying to make was that if this said being lived in UBER-verse, the analogy I crudely put together stands.  He could cause our universe to 'begin' without him having any 'omni-' attributes.  It's all just intellectual masturbation, using physics gives it way too much credit, if he were to be using physics to prove his point then we would all be able to follow and agree.  I'm just trying to get to the bottom of his assertion that a CAUSING entity is God.  Hence all the silly scenarios.

I got it - and the silly scenarios do have a purpose.  If Mr. M sees how silly his point is from comparing it with our silly points, maybe we got somewhere.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Mr_Metaphysics (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Why would

mellestad wrote:

Why would anyone even care about those questions 'metaphysically', how are they even relevant to our experience?  It seems like asking a non-sense question to me...what's the point?  What problem exists that these questions need to find an answer for?  What powers of explanation do non-materialistic answers provide?

Some people enjoy philosophy.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Why would anyone even care about those questions 'metaphysically', how are they even relevant to our experience?  It seems like asking a non-sense question to me...what's the point?  What problem exists that these questions need to find an answer for?  What powers of explanation do non-materialistic answers provide?

Some people enjoy philosophy.

I understand asking the question, my confusion is about how you approach the answer.  Perhaps I should have been more specific.

Asking the questions makes sense to me.  It's neat, fun, etc.  What I don't understand is why you place actual value in a definitional word game or thought problem that is unfalsifiable.  A good portion of your world view seems to be centered around the idea that you can define a being into existence, even though you don't have any way to find out if you are right or wrong and in fact it is impossible to know if you're right or wrong.  If you were wrong the universe would function exactly as if you were right.

So why place that as a central pillar in your thinking?

Or did it go the other way, where the end result was a central portion of your belief and over time you've found this type of exercise to be the most satisfying form of confirmation for your existing belief structure?

I can understand the latter, but I can't understand the former.  It doesn't make sense how a person can talk themselves into such a corner without a reason pushing them along the way.

On the same idea, I don't understand how someone could even come up with these concepts outside of trying to justify deity belief or dualism.  It isn't like you would wake up one day and think of this stuff out of the blue, you've got to assume dualism and deity because they *feel* right and then come up with these arguments as justification.  I know sometimes people have good intuitive ideas, but they are only 'good' when they lead to some sort of falsifiable claim we can investigate.

I'm just trying to understand how a person gets to this point in their thinking, because it is foreign to me.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Or did it go

mellestad wrote:

Or did it go the other way, where the end result was a central portion of your belief and over time you've found this type of exercise to be the most satisfying form of confirmation for your existing belief structure?

There you go.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd think this fair enough

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

mellestad wrote:

There you go.

If the doctrine did not come with so much baggage. The trouble for me is that this sort induction shapes the acceptance of very odd things. The thinking the literary historical method can be used to prove the supernatural activities of Jesus for instance. The arbitrary inclusion of morals that are now outdated and contradictory. The idea that universal empathy is a concept that can be achieved in this reality not just be momentarily conceptualised.

Taken as a whole the bible is a religious Frankenstein. Most thoughtful christians are forced to cherry pick the elements that make sense to their inner moral compasses - whether they confess to this or no. 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:If

Atheistextremist wrote:

If the doctrine did not come with so much baggage. The trouble for me is that this sort induction shapes the acceptance of very odd things. The thinking the literary historical method can be used to prove the supernatural activities of Jesus for instance. The arbitrary inclusion of morals that are now outdated and contradictory. The idea that universal empathy is a concept that can be achieved in this reality not just be momentarily conceptualised.

Taken as a whole the bible is a religious Frankenstein. Most thoughtful christians are forced to cherry pick the elements that make sense to their inner moral compasses - whether they confess to this or no. 

'Odd' cannot be your litmus test, because the absolute truth will be mind-boggling whether you are atheist or theist.  The idea that the universe, left to its own devices, was the product of a decompression from a chaotic random indeterminate point of empirical nothingness is really odd--even weirder is the idea that our universe was one in an infinity of parallel universes (what do we know about 'parallel universes'?).  The idea of an unguided process whereby the distribution of similarities comes from random genetic mutations is counterintuitive, as is the idea that life emerges from non-life.  By the end of it, your everyday rational sensibilities cannot be your metric for truth; quantum mechanics demonstrates this.

The truth is not revealed to us so as to be sensitive to our common everyday intuitions, and it does not matter what your personal theology is.  I was not always a Christian--I used to be an atheist.  God was not something that I was looking for, and the Bible did not comport with my own moral compass; however, what I realized was that truth and logic was not based on my own personal preferences.  I know that you do not believe me, and that's okay. Again, I'm not here to convert you via my personal experience; I will only argue for God using apologetics.

The Bible is a collection of 66 books written over the course of 1,000 years.  Hence, the revelation of God is documented through various literary styles, and in various historical contexts.  I never attempted to hide the fact that God killed people (including small children), allowed slavery, or predestined people for eternal damnation.  If the authors of the Bible were not being genuine, perhaps they would have written about a God that was more comforting.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Reality is indeed

Reality is indeed 'mid-boggling' - this doesn't justify falling back to an illogical and even more complicating and inexplicable idea of an super 'creator' being, which apparently doesn't need a creator, in an effort to hide the gaps in our knowledge.

If you cannot explain the origin of the universe from 'simpler' elements, introducing a God only makes matters worse, since it is even more inexplicable, and implies a divergent infinite regress, or has itself to simply appear from nothing, no less of a 'problem' that the absolutely minimal random energy field needed to serve as the origin of a God-free Universe.

Complex stuff is observed to come from simpler components everyday.

Spontaneous appearance of infinite beings has never, and physically could never be observed.

What is more plausible?

Clearly, "You can't handle the Truth, Mr_mertaphysics".

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Reality is

BobSpence1 wrote:

Reality is indeed 'mid-boggling' - this doesn't justify falling back to an illogical and even more complicating and inexplicable idea of an super 'creator' being, which apparently doesn't need a creator, in an effort to hide the gaps in our knowledge.

I disagree with the grammar of your response.

First, you described theism as falling back to an 'illogical' idea.  But you know that theists do not find it to be illogical, so to present the situation as if the theist is falling back on something that s/he knows to be illogical is disingenuous.

Second, you described the idea as 'inexplicable'.  This is wrong--God is purported to have in himself the sufficient reason for his existence; therefore, he comports with the principle of sufficient reason. (Interestingly enough, you were here earlier arguing that the PSR is an obsolete idea; yet here you are criticizing God for being 'inexplicable'.)

Third, you described as 'complicating'.  Complicating for whom?  Scientists?  Obviously, it's not meant to be a natural explanation, so obviously it will complicate things for individuals whom methodologically presume that everything is natural.

Fourth, you present God as being an invention of theists in order to close gaps; again, God is not being presented as a natural explanation for anything.  We still do not know how certain things occurred; this is a question for scientists.  However, the question of why they occurred is a one for philosophers.

Quote:
If you cannot explain the origin of the universe from 'simpler' elements, introducing a God only makes matters worse

No it does not.  It is logically impossible for an effect to be qualitatively greater than its cause; this is axiomatic.  Therefore, by logical necessity, the first cause must be infinitely great.  Granted, this does not explain how things are created, but that's irrelevant.

Quote:

No, that's only true if you invoke some abstruse non-colloquial physicalist jargon where 'complex' and 'simpler' are defined in some complicating way.  Logically, nothing can give to itself what it does not have; no effect is greater than its cause.

Quote:
Spontaneous appearance of infinite beings has never, and physically could never be observed.

Of course it can never be observed; it is logically impossible for there to be more than one infinite being, and an infinite being cannot come into existence.

Quote:

I have a question for you.

You claim to be a scientist, or at least a science enthusiast.

Do you post on any science discussion boards?  Or do you study science merely as a way of undermining religion?

On this web site, http://www.meetup.com/BrisbaneAtheists/members/3951825/, you list as yourself as a participant in 'several atheist/skeptic web sites'.  There is not a single mention of you participating in any web sites for science enthusiasts.  This leads me to believe that the purpose of science for you is at variance with that of actual scientists, for they actually are interested in how the world works while you only seem to be selling it as an alternate religion to real religions.  (You are also part of some atheist society in Australia.)

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I disagree with the grammar of your response.

First, you described theism as falling back to an 'illogical' idea.  But you know that theists do not find it to be illogical, so to present the situation as if the theist is falling back on something that s/he knows to be illogical is disingenuous.

Second, you described the idea as 'inexplicable'.  This is wrong--God is purported to have in himself the sufficient reason for his existence; therefore, he comports with the principle of sufficient reason. (Interestingly enough, you were here earlier arguing that the PSR is an obsolete idea; yet here you are criticizing God for being 'inexplicable'.)

But that is a naked assumption - I know that "God is purported to have in himself the sufficient reason for his existence", but even you have just expressed it as a claim. That is a meaningless illogical statement in itself. A 'reason' within itself for its own existence? Are you kidding?? A thing can be the reason for its own existence?? This is the height of metaphysical nonsense. Believing that statement demonstrates that believers ARE illogical, even if they won't or csn't recognize it themselves.

Quote:

Third, you described as 'complicating'.  Complicating for whom?  Scientists?  Obviously, it's not meant to be a natural explanation, so obviously it will complicate things for individuals whom methodologically presume that everything is natural.

Introducing an unnecessary, completely inexplicable being IS a complcation, since does not explain any 'gaps' in our naturalistic explanation, just papers over them with magic.

Quote:

Fourth, you present God as being an invention of theists in order to close gaps; again, God is not being presented as a natural explanation for anything.  We still do not know how certain things occurred; this is a question for scientists.  However, the question of why they occurred is a one for philosophers.

God IS presented as the 'reason' for things, which embraces both how and why. But in either case, it assumes that God doesn't need a reason for his existence, thereby failing to provide an Ultimate explanation.

Scientist do indeed investigate Why. Again you demonstrate a deep ignorance about the nature of the only valid search for knowledge, ie Science.

Quote:

Quote:
If you cannot explain the origin of the universe from 'simpler' elements, introducing a God only makes matters worse

No it does not.  It is logically impossible for an effect to be qualitatively greater than its cause; this is axiomatic.  Therefore, by logical necessity, the first cause must be infinitely great.  Granted, this does not explain how things are created, but that's irrelevant.

We gave you plenty of explicit examples that this is a totally false assumption/intuition.You have not refuted them.

Quote:

Quote:

No, that's only true if you invoke some abstruse non-colloquial physicalist jargon where 'complex' and 'simpler' are defined in some complicating way.  Logically, nothing can give to itself what it does not have; no effect is greater than its cause.

No again.

Is a grown human more complex than a single cell?

Are the intricate shapes of a limeston cave not more complex and more ordered than the solid limestone and water from which they formed?

As a child, I often applied an electrical current to a salt solution through metal electrodes. Was not the incredible multicolored, multi-layered mix of gunk not more complex than the clear solution of one of the simplest substances in water that it emerged from?

Neither oxygen nor hydrogen can form icebergs or rainclouds by their individual natures, yet when they are allowed to combine, which they do with the slightest encouragement of a tiny spark, what the give rise to can do many things those simple gases cannot. 

Of course 'nothing can give to itself what it does not have' - that is not what I am claiming. Collections and combinations of one or more types of elementary 'bits' inevitably have attributes that are not possessed by the individual constituents, depending how the aggregation is structured. An atom has properties that are not possessed by individual neutrons, protons, and electrons.

The formation of a solar system of objects orbiting a star from formless cloud of gas and dust is pretty well understood in the broad, and can be simulated in a computer applying he law of gravity, the laws of motion, and the laws of thermodynamics.

Quote:

Quote:

Of course it can never be observed; it is logically impossible for there to be more than one infinite being, and an infinite being cannot come into existence.

It has not been demonstrated that even one 'infinite being' is logically consistent with our observed universe. It has not been shown logically that a creator of the universe is necessarily infinite anyway. Why can an infinite being not just "come into existence", if anything can? Tiny complementary particles appear to be able to.

Actually, it is logically possible for more than one infinite being to coexist, as long as there is at least one dimension or direction in which they are not infinite.

Quote:

Quote:

I have a question for you.

You claim to be a scientist, or at least a science enthusiast.

Do you post on any science discussion boards?  Or do you study science merely as a way of undermining religion?

On this web site, http://www.meetup.com/BrisbaneAtheists/members/3951825/, you list as yourself as a participant in 'several atheist/skeptic web sites'.  There is not a single mention of you participating in any web sites for science enthusiasts.  This leads me to believe that the purpose of science for you is at variance with that of actual scientists, for they actually are interested in how the world works while you only seem to be selling it as an alternate religion to real religions.  (You are also part of some atheist society in Australia.)

I study science as my prime interest. My passion can be described a search for Truth. Which is why I spend so much time here to help show to others the lies and delusions which underlie all such foolish superstitions. I have over time joined several sites, but have not found the time to keep up posting on all of them. I have found that more intensive participation in one reasonably active site with a number of members who I find congenial a more effective use of my available time at the moment.

"Real religions"? That is hilarious.

These days I mainly follow several podcasts on science. I also try and attend a local monthly meeting on science.

Your comments add to a thought I have had for a while - did you not post here under another handle, more specifically on the OA, even presenting that same expression of it in symbolic logic (or something very similar, AFAICR)? That poster eventually 'lost it', and started posting threads making all kinds of demeaning and insulting references to me personally, at least mostly to me. He also had dug up various bits of information about me to try and make me appear foolish or of poor judgement?

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Mr_Metaphysics wrote:On this

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

This is being taken to a whole new level here.  Why would you research Bob unless you're trying to discredit him in some way.  You're proposing this 'proof of god' that's based on some dark ages metaphysical argument.  We have given you plenty of reasons why we don't buy it.  We've presented you with plenty of other theoretical scenarios that describe the universe better then GoB and you haven't addressed.  You have done nothing but bury your head in the sand and hold on to your idiocy.  If Bob were the worst person out there ( just saying Bob, no offense ), it wouldn't make him any more or any less wrong.  The fact that you're looking to his character rather then his argument shows a lot more about YOUR character.  I will no longer be replying to your posts and you are now in the cyber-stalker category as far as I'm concerned.  I've seen your type in the past, and I would be taking some preventative information about you (I.P. and the like) if I were an admin, just in case this escalates.  Good luck with your search for god or whatever you call what you're doing.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hi Mr Met

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

'Odd' cannot be your litmus test, because the absolute truth will be mind-boggling whether you are atheist or theist.  The idea that the universe, left to its own devices, was the product of a decompression from a chaotic random indeterminate point of empirical nothingness is really odd--even weirder is the idea that our universe was one in an infinity of parallel universes (what do we know about 'parallel universes'?).  The idea of an unguided process whereby the distribution of similarities comes from random genetic mutations is counterintuitive, as is the idea that life emerges from non-life.  By the end of it, your everyday rational sensibilities cannot be your metric for truth; quantum mechanics demonstrates this.

The truth is not revealed to us so as to be sensitive to our common everyday intuitions, and it does not matter what your personal theology is.  I was not always a Christian--I used to be an atheist.  God was not something that I was looking for, and the Bible did not comport with my own moral compass; however, what I realized was that truth and logic was not based on my own personal preferences.  I know that you do not believe me, and that's okay. Again, I'm not here to convert you via my personal experience; I will only argue for God using apologetics.

The Bible is a collection of 66 books written over the course of 1,000 years.  Hence, the revelation of God is documented through various literary styles, and in various historical contexts.  I never attempted to hide the fact that God killed people (including small children), allowed slavery, or predestined people for eternal damnation.  If the authors of the Bible were not being genuine, perhaps they would have written about a God that was more comforting.

Look - the universe is made of hydrogen, oxygen and helium. Deeper still all matter is comprised of protons, neutrons and electrons. Odd then, is any depiction of an alternative reality that by its definition can never be known - the idea of a god who lives outside the universe, for instance, yet involves himself day to day. Bear in mind that parallel universes are a model. No one is insisting they are 100 per cent true and if you don't accept them you'll burn in a lake of fire.

Now, it's demonstrable that atoms and molecules have properties of self organisation. Do we understand the nature of abiogenesis - no. But is all life made of the most common elements found in the earth's crust? Yes. Our blood contains the same elements in different volumes as seawater. We can clearly see that from the moment of conception that all the processes of life are physical processes governed by biochemistry. Are we agreed on this?

I find your position on truth and logic interesting. Logic cannot prove god, as we know and truth - absolute truth may never be known. We can only say which model is best supported by evidence. The claimed nature of god means you can never know whether or not your assumptions are true. You are obliged to accept on the basis of your feelings. On faith. Under threat. It makes the idea of free will a complete joke, don't you think?

Yeah, I know a bit about the bible as former fundy christian and a preacher's son. I simply think it's contrived. I don't mind disagreeing with you over it. This business of a nasty god somehow supporting the truth about god is strange. God is not morally consistent. His commandments are truly pathetic. His character is a multiplicity. Is he the Canaanite high god El? Is he El's son Yahweh, the war god? Is he the sacrificial lamb? The holy spirit of human conscience? Our feelings of awe?

P'raps there was room for a god when there was no knowledge whatever but those days are gone. Our knowledge of the physical universe is deep. Why posit a supernatural cause when no such cause has ever/can never be seen? What is your motivation?

As I say. I'm relaxed about religious belief until there is arbitrary application of trademarks to general human morality followed by threats over a refusal to adhere to dogma and use of exclusive beliefs an excuse for the muslim and christian monotheists to wash their hands of acts which breach basic human rights. There is no excuse for this behaviour - ever.

It's always a cause of humour to me that the OT god fails to live up to the moral precepts of the 'modern' Roman jesus. That christians fail to see this is more bizarre still.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
And another thing

The stuff with Bob smacks of adhom. You were doing fine without it - why go there?

Are only those building space rockets allowed to use findings of the scientific method in support of their arguments? Bob has shown himself time and again to be patient, consistent and well informed. There's no doubt he has small truck with philosophy but that should be no great surprise to you.

Let's move on, shall we.

User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:This is being

Ktulu wrote:

This is being taken to a whole new level here.  Why would you research Bob unless you're trying to discredit him in some way.  You're proposing this 'proof of god' that's based on some dark ages metaphysical argument.  We have given you plenty of reasons why we don't buy it.  We've presented you with plenty of other theoretical scenarios that describe the universe better then GoB and you haven't addressed.  You have done nothing but bury your head in the sand and hold on to your idiocy.  If Bob were the worst person out there ( just saying Bob, no offense ), it wouldn't make him any more or any less wrong.  The fact that you're looking to his character rather then his argument shows a lot more about YOUR character.  I will no longer be replying to your posts and you are now in the cyber-stalker category as far as I'm concerned.  I've seen your type in the past, and I would be taking some preventative information about you (I.P. and the like) if I were an admin, just in case this escalates.  Good luck with your search for god or whatever you call what you're doing.  

What you put on the internet is fair game for everyone to read.  If Bob wanted that information private, then he should not have posted it.  If I put on my profile that I am the owner of a bordello, then you would more than likely allocate part of your posts to questioning my Christian values.  The only difference here is that the information Bob posted about himself was not on this particular web site.

User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:Look

Atheistextremist wrote:

Look - the universe is made of hydrogen, oxygen and helium. Deeper still all matter is comprised of protons, neutrons and electrons. Odd then, is any depiction of an alternative reality that by its definition can never be known - the idea of a god who lives outside the universe, for instance, yet involves himself day to day. Bear in mind that parallel universes are a model. No one is insisting they are 100 per cent true and if you don't accept them you'll burn in a lake of fire.

On the contrary, I think we can know that God exists; that is what is at stake here, and that is the nature of the debate.  Millions of people on this planet experience God, or at least something like God.  Now, there are many possible explanations for this, but perhaps one explanation is that God really is involving himself in the universe--just not with you.

Quote:
Now, it's demonstrable that atoms and molecules have properties of self organisation. Do we understand the nature of abiogenesis - no. But is all life made of the most common elements found in the earth's crust? Yes. Our blood contains the same elements in different volumes as seawater. We can clearly see that from the moment of conception that all the processes of life are physical processes governed by biochemistry. Are we agreed on this?

I agree with most of science, but from that I am not willing to say that the natural world is all that there is.  What we are discussing, here, is whether God can be demonstrated to exist; I'm willing to stand on the arguments given.  I think the ontological, cosmological, and transcendental arguments are all valid.

Quote:
I find your position on truth and logic interesting. Logic cannot prove god, as we know and truth - absolute truth may never be known. We can only say which model is best supported by evidence. The claimed nature of god means you can never know whether or not your assumptions are true. You are obliged to accept on the basis of your feelings. On faith. Under threat. It makes the idea of free will a complete joke, don't you think?

Again, I am arguing here that logic can be used to prove God.  As far as threats go, eternal punishment in Hell as a consequence for sin is similar to the horrible consequences that ensue if someone goes swimming during a rainstorm.  But it's not a threat for someone tell you, "Hey, if you go swimming during a rainstorm, you will be electrocuted."

Quote:
Yeah, I know a bit about the bible as former fundy christian and a preacher's son. I simply think it's contrived. I don't mind disagreeing with you over it. This business of a nasty god somehow supporting the truth about god is strange. God is not morally consistent. His commandments are truly pathetic. His character is a multiplicity. Is he the Canaanite high god El? Is he El's son Yahweh, the war god? Is he the sacrificial lamb? The holy spirit of human conscience? Our feelings of awe?

These are just your opinions Atheistextremist--as an atheist, you have no objective standard from which you can declare that God's morality is horrible.  By your worldview, it's only true for you that God is evil.  When you try to argue that God did evil thing in the Old Testament, you are actually borrowing from the religious worldview--absolute morality is a religious tenet.  As an atheist, you are unable to rationally justify that God did anything bad.

Quote:
As I say. I'm relaxed about religious belief until there is arbitrary application of trademarks to general human morality followed by threats over a refusal to adhere to dogma and use of exclusive beliefs an excuse for the muslim and christian monotheists to wash their hands of acts which breach basic human rights. There is no excuse for this behaviour - ever.

Religion is a source of much evil in the world--as are lawyers, doctors, atheists, and anything else.  

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
No, Mr Met

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

As an atheist, you have no objective standard from which you can declare that God's morality is horrible.  By your worldview, it's only true for you that God is evil.  When you try to argue that God did evil thing in the Old Testament, you are actually borrowing from the religious worldview--absolute morality is a religious tenet.  As an atheist, you are unable to rationally justify that God did anything bad.

I am not borrowing bible morality from a mere 1500BC. It's you who borrows human morality that has evolved over millions of years. We are far older than your dogma.

As a theist you seek to trademark core human moralities that are generally subjective and cultural. There are no universal moral laws tho' endeavouring not to cause hurt to other beings is something most humans, given our close relationships and mirror neurons, seem to share to some extent.

Do you seriously suggest there was no human feeling of right and wrong before the jews/babylonians wrote those lame ten commandments? Can you prove this to be true?

Absolute morality is an assertion, not a religious tenet. It has never been shown to exist and cannot be measured. The fact morality depends on point of view is endlessly demonstrable.

Further, morals can be shown to develop over time from conventional morality of reward and punishment, to post conventional empathetic morality to elevated conceptions of universal empathy. No one is born morally whole or even moral at all. These principles are learned.

User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

As an atheist, you have no objective standard from which you can declare that God's morality is horrible.  By your worldview, it's only true for you that God is evil.  When you try to argue that God did evil thing in the Old Testament, you are actually borrowing from the religious worldview--absolute morality is a religious tenet.  As an atheist, you are unable to rationally justify that God did anything bad.

I am not borrowing bible morality from a mere 1500BC. It's you who borrows human morality that has evolved over millions of years. We are far older than your dogma.

I did not say that you borrowed your morality from the Bible; what I said was that you borrow from the theistic worldview that morals are absolute.  And even if you continue paying lip service to the idea that morals are subjective and variant, you clearly do not speak this way with your actions.  You tacitly stated that God is evil--that the stuff he did in the OT is morally reprehensible; if you truly believe that morality is subjective, then how are you in any rational position to say this?  What position are you in to criticize God if you admit that his morality is nonetheless true for him even if it is not true for you?  It's inconsistent.

That human moral sensibilities evolved over many years only tells me how I came to be a moral agent; it does not tell me whether my sensibilities actually reflect reality.  Perhaps we could have evolved to believe that rape was morally permissible, or that stealing from blue eyed people is okay.  There is nothing inherent in evolution that is going to produce right and wrong.  By your worldview, right and wrong do not exist.  Do not propagate one worldview while borrowing from mine.

Quote:
As a theist you seek to trademark core human moralities that are generally subjective and cultural. There are no universal moral laws tho' endeavouring not to cause hurt to other beings is something most humans, given our close relationships and mirror neurons, seem to share to some extent.

If you believe that, then stop telling me that God was evil in the Old Testament.  You just admitted that morality is subjective, and therefore it is not objectively true that God did anything wicked.  It's only true for you and your atheist pals that he did something horrible.

Quote:
Do you seriously suggest there was no human feeling of right and wrong before the jews/babylonians wrote those lame ten commandments? Can you prove this to be true?

I'm not suggesting that at all.  The time in which we developed our moral sensibilities (i.e., the genesis of morality) is not my debate, nor is my debate in regards to how we know what is right (i.e., moral epistemology).  My only suggestion is that in order for you to believe in moral realism, you must believe in God; hence, my debate here is with regard to moral ontology.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nevertheless

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Mr_Metaphysics wrote:

I did not say that you borrowed your morality from the Bible; what I said was that you borrow from the theistic worldview that morals are absolute.  And even if you continue paying lip service to the idea that morals are subjective and variant, you clearly do not speak this way with your actions.  You tacitly stated that God is evil--that the stuff he did in the OT is morally reprehensible; if you truly believe that morality is subjective, then how are you in any rational position to say this?  What position are you in to criticize God if you admit that his morality is nonetheless true for him even if it is not true for you?  It's inconsistent.

That human moral sensibilities evolved over many years only tells me how I came to be a moral agent; it does not tell me whether my sensibilities actually reflect reality.  Perhaps we could have evolved to believe that rape was morally permissible, or that stealing from blue eyed people is okay.  There is nothing inherent in evolution that is going to produce right and wrong.  By your worldview, right and wrong do not exist.  Do not propagate one worldview while borrowing from mine.

Quote:

If you believe that, then stop telling me that God was evil in the Old Testament.  You just admitted that morality is subjective, and therefore it is not objectively true that God did anything wicked.  It's only true for you and your atheist pals that he did something horrible.

Quote:

I'm not suggesting that at all.  The time in which we developed our moral sensibilities (i.e., the genesis of morality) is not my debate, nor is my debate in regards to how we know what is right (i.e., moral epistemology).  My only suggestion is that in order for you to believe in moral realism, you must believe in God; hence, my debate here is with regard to moral ontology.

Morality is not universal and I am still entitled to criticise the failed morality of the god of the OT. I don't require universal morality to do that. In my opinion the morality of the bronze age was flawed. In your opinion it may be justified because humans chose to swim in a lightning storm. I think you are wrong and you obviously feel the same way about me. Where is the universal morality here? Show me your universal moral code. Is it written somewhere?

User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

(Double post)

User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Morality is not universal and I am still entitled to criticise the failed morality of the god of the OT. I don't require universal morality to do that. In my opinion the morality of the bronze age was flawed. In your opinion it may be justified because humans chose to swim in a lightning storm. I think you are wrong and you obviously feel the same way about me. Where is the universal morality here? Show me your universal moral code. Is it written somewhere?

By 'universal', I take it that you mean 'objective'.  That you are free criticize the ethics of another person is true, but what I am looking for is a rational basis for doing so.   Ethics are normative, which is to say that they are statements telling us what we should or should not do.  By declaring the God of the OT to be evil, you are effectively telling him and everyone else that what he does should not be done.  What justification do you have for your ethical system?  Just saying, 'In my opinion, it is wrong' does not seem to be sufficient justification for you to say that someone should not do something.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I see what you are saying here

I just don't believe morals are objective in the way you suggest. Humans are all related and share similar qualities and that means our general moral standards are similar but they are not objective or universal. My cultural mores tell me to look after people, my mirror neurons allow me to feel a sense of empathy enhanced by an experience of living through another person's suffering just by watching it. I know what pain feels like and I have no desire to inflict in on others. No doubt muslims feel it is moral to throw rocks at adulterers. I disagree with them. Which of us do you think is right??

The idea only some arbitrary universal objective set of moral rules the specifics of which we have yet to establish is rational has no basis whatever.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
The basic rationale for

The basic rationale for considering whether an action is 'wrong', which makes most sense to me, is whether it is likely to cause harm, pain, or distress to another, for no ultimate benefit to them, against their wishes. I include  the 'ultimate benefit' factor to allow for treatments for injury or disease which may cause pain in the process.

The closest to a general moral 'rule' is the negative 'golden rule', "do not do to others what you would not wish done to yourself".

The more common positive version does not make allowance for differences among individuals as to what they actually like.

The origin is clearly evolutionary for a social species such as ourselves to maximize cooperation which depends on mutual assistance to maximize survival.

Any general discussion beyond these considerations is superfluous, AFAICS. There will be endless disagreement about the details, as with any matter of significance to us.

The evidence for a God as moral arbiter is all against such a thing, IMHO. You get into the classic 'problem of evil', which only arises in the attempt to introduce the idea of a 'good' God. Throw out the God hypothesis, and everything makes much more sense.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
This line of reasoning

This line of reasoning (morals) sounds like a good segue for the Bible to come into this clusterfuck of metaphysical diarrhea.  Now that he's convinced us that God exists, he's going to convince us that he's the GoB.  I think I go to get my good blue suit out again, I may have to go to church next Sunday, this dude is serious about conversion.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Of course the ""Big Bang"

Of course the ""Big Bang" models do not rule out an indefinite past for the Universe in the broader sense" ... but they also don’t rule out the existence of a First Cause!

I know why you guys are so allergic to the hypostasized existence of a FC... because it's a first step to general theists cry GOD. And you can't stand that!

That's ok I understand. However nothing that I've ever discussed here proved me without doubt that a FC is close to impossible. On the contrary. General cosmological theory and philosophical arguments always said to me that the existence of a FC is more likely than not... whatever that FC is! This is a key point in my theory! From a FC I don't jump in lightly to any conclusion, much less to a "God". I don't know what the FC is, period. But probably has a strange relation to this Universe since it seems to have no temporal, spatial or material intrinsic bonds to this reality.

I think this paper is has a strong point towards a FC. Even if I was an atheist it would be stupid to be completely against a FC... but I guess I could never have your agenda against everything that seems remotely religious. That would have undermined my good judgment. Having said that... my knowledge of science doesn’t permit me to read this paper in a comprehensive way....

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote: Of course

Teralek wrote:

Of course the ""Big Bang" models do not rule out an indefinite past for the Universe in the broader sense" ... but they also don’t rule out the existence of a First Cause!

I know why you guys are so allergic to the hypostasized existence of a FC... because it's a first step to general theists cry GOD. And you can't stand that!

That's ok I understand. However nothing that I've ever discussed here proved me without doubt that a FC is close to impossible. On the contrary. General cosmological theory and philosophical arguments always said to me that the existence of a FC is more likely than not... whatever that FC is! This is a key point in my theory! From a FC I don't jump in lightly to any conclusion, much less to a "God". I don't know what the FC is, period. But probably has a strange relation to this Universe since it seems to have no temporal, spatial or material intrinsic bonds to this reality.

But unless you can provide some actual evidence and argument to justify this idea, that last statement is of no significance, except as an indication of your personal inclinations.

Quote:

A first cause by its very nature MUST have a connection to our Reality.

Anyway, if it is in a separate reality, you are back to square one - what was the first cause for that reality, since something that is part of a reality cannot be the cause of that reality. You are into the dreaded infinite regress.

I think this paper is has a strong point towards a FC. Even if I was an atheist it would be stupid to be completely against a FC... but I guess I could never have your agenda against everything that seems remotely religious. That would have undermined my good judgment. Having said that... my knowledge of science doesn’t permit me to read this paper in a comprehensive way....

The lack of any coherent argument that a FC must necessarily have any of the attributes that would make it deserve being thought of as a thinking entity, let alone a 'God' is the real failing of the KCA.

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
It always seemed to me that

It always seemed to me that 'first cause' arguments--even if they were true--invalidates all known religions. So the Christian god is a formless first cause of everything? Oh...I thought he was a personal god directly involved with 'us'. *shrugs* Well, I guess you'll reject christianity now 

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bob wrote:But unless you can

Bob wrote:
But unless you can provide some actual evidence and argument to justify this idea, that last statement is of no significance, except as an indication of your personal inclinations.

lalib wrote:

It always seemed to me that 'first cause' arguments--even if they were true--invalidates all known religions. So the Christian god is a formless first cause of everything? Oh...I thought he was a personal god directly involved with 'us'. *shrugs* Well, I guess you'll reject christianity now 

Everyone has inclinations Bob  even you. That is why you reject the FC without evidence.

I'm not a Christian lalib . I say once more, in the God question I am an ignostic and I believe in the afterlife as it is mentioned by near death experiencers. I believe in Plato mind/body duality.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:Bob wrote:But

Teralek wrote:

Bob wrote:

lalib wrote:

Everyone has inclinations Bob  even you. That is why you reject the FC without evidence.

I'm not a Christian lalib . I say once more, in the God question I am an ignostic and I believe in the afterlife as it is mentioned by near death experiencers. I believe in Plato mind/body duality.

The FC argument presents no argument or evidence for a specific God corresponding to that FC. That is a completely justifable statement, whether I am 'inclined' that way ornot.

I am indeed 'inclined' to certain ideas, such as that it is willfully ignorant to accept anything without at least something to support it. And to prefer truth over fantasy and myth as an explanation of the world.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree completely! That is

I agree completely! That is why I never said this was proof of God. 

Ultimatly God is a matter of faith. There is no direct evidence to support it

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote: I'm not a

Teralek wrote:

ok, I should have made it clear I was using the impersonal, generic 'you'. 

Teralek wrote:

Ultimatly God is a matter of faith. There is no direct evidence to support it

I thought you were a theist?