Interview With Richard Carrier on My Podcast

mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
Interview With Richard Carrier on My Podcast

The link is here if you want to skip my banter. 

 

Hey guys. Its been a long time since I have posted. I am glad to see that the RRS is still standing after the last few years. I hope to see it continue from now on. I had an atheist podcast a few years ago, couldn't pay the bills and had to stop. I decided to bring my podcast back recently, but not to make atheism the central point. I have a co-host who is a theist now, who I debate at the outset of this episode.  I wanted to have a kind of punk rock intellectual interview show.

 

I had Brian on the show's prior incarnation. 

 

I just recently did an interview with Richard Carrier. He was on several episodes of the RRS podcast, the God Who Wasn't There Movie and is a well respected atheist author and Mythicist. 

 

The Rational Response Squad is mentioned a couple of times in this show.  My co-host brings up an argument she disagreed with, and I cite the effect of an "atheist horde" online. Though I also mention my own affection for RRS. 

 

I am posting here, if nothing else, just because I know you guys would enjoy Richard Carrier. He was in excellent form, and I was interviewing him with a liberal theist audience in mind. 

 

I hope you guys like it, it has been a couple of years since I have been active here. I have changed. I am sure RRS has changed as all organizations evolve over time. I am looking forward to hearing from you guys. 

 

The Richard Carrier Episode 


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2446
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
Mindcore.

                     Where hast thou been-ist???????    There are at least three woman; and Maury Povich( here who want to see you about a paternity test,  Now man-up and state your intentions.   Do you have a paying job? A Lawyer? An alibi?

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3945
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Ooohh, looks interesting.

Ooohh, looks interesting.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
 Jeff: I got my old

 Jeff:

 

I got my old podcast pretty popular. But then my wife decided it was time for a divorce. We were both in school and she bailed on me in my last semester. Breaking up got real expensive and complicated and I couldn't pay my podcast bill. 

 

The break up ended up with me trying to patch things up in New York and getting kicked out by her on the street. I almost moved to Philly, interestingly enough. 

 

I came back to Texas, where I worked a job at 7-Eleven and certified to be a teacer. I did this while couch surfing and in the process have remarried and am now working full time as a 5th grade tacher. A very religious environment I am afraid. 

 

During the harsh climb it was very difficult for me to find time for my atheist acitivism and by the time I was stable enough to do any of it my perspective had changed. I think that there is definitely a role for aggressive atheism, after all its hard to tell someone everything they hold dear is a big fraud and not be perceived as rude. But I think my strengths lie more in a conscilatory approach. 

I think a lot of the reasons people are religious is because a.) they have not thought it through b.) they have not really defined their beliefs. 

But thank you for asking. I am happy to be back. 

 

Hanging out on this board has definitely had a positive effect on my life and has resulted in at least one friendship which has spanned the years. 

 

 

Your life is a love story!


Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
Posts: 868
Joined: 2008-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Excellent, Mr. Core.... nice

Excellent, Mr. Core.... nice 'cast sir..... and any friend of Jeffrick's is a friend of mine...


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks Rich! 

 Thanks Rich! 

Your life is a love story!


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1970
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Hi Rich,I listened to a

Hi Rich,

I listened to a little over an hour of it, and have about a half hour left to go.

I thought it was great. I enjoyed listening to the various perspectives you've employed, at looking at things.

I also like your partner's open minded approach, as well.

 

I'm diggin' this Richard Carrier guy!

Thanks for putting him on my radar.

 

Keep up the good work.

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
Posts: 5939
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Always liked Carrier, this

Always liked Carrier, this is right up to my expectations.

Found your partner's comments fascinating.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah, Diana has not read

 Yeah, Diana has not read any of the atheist books, and I don't think she has really considered her position deeply. 

 

But she is awesome, and she gets us our coolest guests. It doesn't hurt that she's beautiful and that she's been my friend for over 10 years. 

Your life is a love story!


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15774
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote: Yeah, Diana

mindcore wrote:

 Yeah, Diana has not read any of the atheist books, and I don't think she has really considered her position deeply. 

 

But she is awesome, and she gets us our coolest guests. It doesn't hurt that she's beautiful and that she's been my friend for over 10 years. 

She sounds nice enough, but I didn't like her "I don't want to destroy the magic" attitude. Knowing how things work doesn't mean that you have less of an appreciation for them. When she said, "there is just too much out there that our emotions to respond to" is allowing her sense of awe stop her and fill in the gap.

I have a "sense of awe" too when I look at my cat, and damned near died from a melted heart when he ran up to me as a kitten and hugged my leg. But knowing that my cat shared common ancestors with tigers and that all mammals for that matter shared common ancestors doesn't take away the joy of that moment.

Knowing how Penn and Teller preform an illusion doesn't take away my appreciation for their imagination for dreaming them up and I certainly don't default to assuming that they really sawed the woman in half, simply because I might not know HOW the trick was preformed.

She is basically saying she prefers willful ignorance to actual knowledge.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


redneF
atheistRational VIP!
redneF's picture
Posts: 1970
Joined: 2011-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:She sounds

Brian37 wrote:

She sounds nice enough, but I didn't like her "I don't want to destroy the magic" attitude. Knowing how things work doesn't mean that you have less of an appreciation for them. When she said, "there is just too much out there that our emotions to respond to" is allowing her sense of awe stop her and fill in the gap.

I have a "sense of awe" too when I look at my cat, and damned near died from a melted heart when he ran up to me as a kitten and hugged my leg. But knowing that my cat shared common ancestors with tigers and that all mammals for that matter shared common ancestors doesn't take away the joy of that moment.

Knowing how Penn and Teller preform an illusion doesn't take away my appreciation for their imagination for dreaming them up and I certainly don't default to assuming that they really sawed the woman in half, simply because I might not know HOW the trick was preformed.

She is basically saying she prefers willful ignorance to actual knowledge.

I agree with you 100%.

But, cut her some slack. She sounds young.

mindcore wrote:

 Yeah, Diana has not read any of the atheist books, and I don't think she has really considered her position deeply. 

 

But she is awesome, and she gets us our coolest guests. It doesn't hurt that she's beautiful and that she's been my friend for over 10 years. 

She's open minded, that's the main thing.

And hot you say?....

 

I keep asking myself " Are they just playin' stupid, or are they just plain stupid?..."

"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy" : David Brooks

" Only on the subject of God can smart people still imagine that they reap the fruits of human intelligence even as they plow them under." : Sam Harris


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
 For what its worth Brian,

 For what its worth Brian, I don't think she meant to portray herself as preferring ignorance. She's not really used to the whole atheist argument and debate. She is solidly pro-science. Pro-evolution. Pro-skepticism. She just gets a little fuzzy when it comes to ruling out God. 

 

Recently Diana told me privately that she is probably closer to agnostic. I think she is just merely beginning to figure this shit out, I think the kind of intellectual inventory that makes people atheists does not come naturally to most, hence why atheists are in the minority. We had a big fight about atheism several years ago, and she was solidly theistic back then. Take that as you would like, but I think its progress. 

 

And if you are curious about whether or not she's good looking there is a picture of her in day of the dead makeup on the website on the Man Marries Robot episode. 

 

http://mindcorepodcast.blogspot.com

Your life is a love story!


Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
Posts: 2479
Joined: 2006-03-19
User is offlineOffline
Good to hear from you again,

Good to hear from you again, mindcore! I'm currently downloading your podcast. Smiling

I dig your changed approach and the fact that you don't jump to the conclusion, "... and therefore aggressive atheism is evil." There is definitely room for both approaches. In fact, I say the more approaches taken, the better! Just get peeved when people who prefer a conciliatory approach dump on the confrontational approach.

Download complete! Looking forward to it....

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Good to hear

natural wrote:

Good to hear from you again, mindcore! I'm currently downloading your podcast. Smiling

I dig your changed approach and the fact that you don't jump to the conclusion, "... and therefore aggressive atheism is evil." There is definitely room for both approaches. In fact, I say the more approaches taken, the better! Just get peeved when people who prefer a conciliatory approach dump on the confrontational approach.

Download complete! Looking forward to it....

 

Thats definitely how I feel. I am glad you liked it.  I like the way Sam Harris does it. He seems to have a fully open mind, but gives as good as he gets. 

 

Though he is nice. He even practices and endorses meditation. Which, so do I. 

 This is good because it shows that he is looking for the appeal of "religious" experience. But then he shoots down the obvious backwardness with no slack cut for tradition. 

I have a long way to go before I reach my own finesse with it, but he is an inspiration. 

 

I think a lot of atheists don't understand the psychological appeal of religion, they just dismiss it as stupidity all the way through. Even those of us who have been religious. 

I think there is just some misguided aspects of it, and that it seems to really be built on things that are appealing to most people. The trick is to figure out what is useful and get rid of the rest. 

 

I think Harris got us off to a great start by saying we need to get rid of faith. 

 

Faith in of itself has little role as a virtue. The fact that it is considered a virtue is a problem.

Your life is a love story!


Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
Posts: 2479
Joined: 2006-03-19
User is offlineOffline
mindcore wrote: This is good

mindcore wrote:
This is good because it shows that he is looking for the appeal of "religious" experience. ...

I think a lot of atheists don't understand the psychological appeal of religion, they just dismiss it as stupidity all the way through. Even those of us who have been religious. 

I think there is just some misguided aspects of it, and that it seems to really be built on things that are appealing to most people. The trick is to figure out what is useful and get rid of the rest.

I think I get where you're coming from. I have a similar point of view, regarding the importance of figuring out the psychological aspects of religion and filtering out the real effects from the bullshit mythology. I started writing about it a while back, basing my philosophy on the concept of wonder. Specifically, I make the 'argument from wondrous experience', which directly confronts the 'argument from religious experience', which I think is the one last refuge of religious argument that we atheists haven't yet effectively countered in the popular arguments against religion.

It goes something like this: All so-called 'religious experience' is really just our natural ability to experience awe and wonder, and has no basis in anything supernatural. All humans can experience these feelings of wonder, to greater or lesser degrees, and there is nothing about them that is inherently 'religious'. Specifically, we can and do experience intense feelings of awe and wonder when contemplating a naturalistic, scientific view of the universe. In fact, I would argue that such experiences are in fact enhanced by having an awareness of the scientific facts; in other words, scientifically based experiences of wonder are actually aestheticallly superior to so-called 'religious' experiences which are hampered by a confused, simplistic, and ultimately dehumanizing mythology.

You may be interested to check out the wonderism group on Atheist Nexus. I haven't written much recently, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to. Just too busy at the moment.

Quote:
I think Harris got us off to a great start by saying we need to get rid of faith. 

Faith in of itself has little role as a virtue. The fact that it is considered a virtue is a problem.

For example, I wrote a bit about faith basically agreeing with exactly what you're saying: http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/wonderism/forum/topics/wonderism-vs-faith

Also, for a summary idea: What is wonderism?

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!


mindcore
BloggerScientist
mindcore's picture
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008-02-12
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:mindcore

natural wrote:

mindcore wrote:
This is good because it shows that he is looking for the appeal of "religious" experience. ...

I think a lot of atheists don't understand the psychological appeal of religion, they just dismiss it as stupidity all the way through. Even those of us who have been religious. 

I think there is just some misguided aspects of it, and that it seems to really be built on things that are appealing to most people. The trick is to figure out what is useful and get rid of the rest.

I think I get where you're coming from. I have a similar point of view, regarding the importance of figuring out the psychological aspects of religion and filtering out the real effects from the bullshit mythology. I started writing about it a while back, basing my philosophy on the concept of wonder. Specifically, I make the 'argument from wondrous experience', which directly confronts the 'argument from religious experience', which I think is the one last refuge of religious argument that we atheists haven't yet effectively countered in the popular arguments against religion.

It goes something like this: All so-called 'religious experience' is really just our natural ability to experience awe and wonder, and has no basis in anything supernatural. All humans can experience these feelings of wonder, to greater or lesser degrees, and there is nothing about them that is inherently 'religious'. Specifically, we can and do experience intense feelings of awe and wonder when contemplating a naturalistic, scientific view of the universe. In fact, I would argue that such experiences are in fact enhanced by having an awareness of the scientific facts; in other words, scientifically based experiences of wonder are actually aestheticallly superior to so-called 'religious' experiences which are hampered by a confused, simplistic, and ultimately dehumanizing mythology.

You may be interested to check out the wonderism group on Atheist Nexus. I haven't written much recently, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to. Just too busy at the moment.

Quote:
I think Harris got us off to a great start by saying we need to get rid of faith. 

Faith in of itself has little role as a virtue. The fact that it is considered a virtue is a problem.

For example, I wrote a bit about faith basically agreeing with exactly what you're saying: http://www.atheistnexus.org/group/wonderism/forum/topics/wonderism-vs-faith

Also, for a summary idea: What is wonderism?

 

This is wonderful. I think you may have caused me to fire up my atheist nexus account. I completely agree. Wonderism is a brilliant idea and I intend to borrow it.

Your life is a love story!