Iran defends protestors in Egypt.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iran defends protestors in Egypt.

It is all over the news that Iran is supporting the protesters in Egypt, calling for non-violence on the part of Egypt's government.

YEA, this coming from the same dickwads who had their Gestapo motorcycle police gun down their own citizens to suppress dissent in their own country.

There has to be some sort of Sunni/Shiite alliance reason for their support. But for Iran to hypocritically support dissent and oppress their own people is utter bullshit.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Iran defends protestors in Egypt

Well at least they're saying that they support the protesters (even if they're lying), it's better than the USA who was supporting Mubarak with military support for years and most of those bombs are traced back to the USA,even the smoke and tear gas bombs. 

Signature ? How ?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:It is all over

Brian37 wrote:

It is all over the news that Iran is supporting the protesters in Egypt, calling for non-violence on the part of Egypt's government.

YEA, this coming from the same dickwads who had their Gestapo motorcycle police gun down their own citizens to suppress dissent in their own country.

There has to be some sort of Sunni/Shiite alliance reason for their support. But for Iran to hypocritically support dissent and oppress their own people is utter bullshit.

Well, what can you know? Remember, around 1990's Iran led by ayatollah Khomeini was all into war with Iraq, but according to media messages God told Khomeini to stop fighting. Ayatollah hated the idea, but had to obey God, as he said. It's hard to say how many Iran leaders currently listen to the mysterious disembodied voice of peace. You can expect anything from them, even they deserve a new chance. I really liked some Ahmadinejad's speeches and letters. Though a new president might be better for the future of the state. This one is too much under the thumb of ayatollahs. 

I don't like that there are no diplomatic and economic contacts allowed with Iran, at least in my country. If they think they're all among enemies, the regime of country will be of course tough. I can very well imagine that totalitarian Iran is meant to be much more diffcult for Israeli Mossad agents to infiltrate and sabotage. And trust me, that they try. My small country is even today full of Russian agents, possibly also American. There are some annual reports on TV about their activity. I guess my home secret service can do nothing but watch them.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:     Well at

Ken G. wrote:

Well at least they're saying that they support the protesters (even if they're lying), it's better than the USA who was supporting Mubarak with military support for years and most of those bombs are traced back to the USA,even the smoke and tear gas bombs. 

What other option does the USA have to keep Egypt from becoming an Islamic republic? Mubarak was seen as the lesser of two evils.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Ken G. wrote: 

EXC wrote:

Ken G. wrote:

What other option does the USA have to keep Egypt from becoming an Islamic republic? Mubarak was seen as the lesser of two evils.

Which is also why Iran is supporting the protesters. They are hoping that in the chaos an Islamic government will be able to take over. Iran doesn't give a shit about freedom, democracy or equality in Egypt. I am torn on the issue. While I am always for people getting freedom, I am not convinced that the freedom movement in Egypt is large enough or organized enough to set up any semblance of a Western style democratic government. I am afraid that the Muslim Brotherhood will likely become the main political force and take over, no doubt with assistance from Iran and money from Islamic Fundamentalists.

As Americans, we really need to discuss our financial support of dictators around the world. While I understand the short term benefit we get by having relatively benign dictators that will do whatever we want because we pay them off, in the long term it often harms us. We have done similar things throughout Central America, Cuba, Afghanistan, Iran etc. and it rarely turns out good for us in the long run. The Egyptian people see the US as helping their oppressive government, and they are right. Unfortunately, their anger towards us might steer them toward putting their faith in our enemies.   

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Shit like this makes you

Shit like this makes you realize how hard politics is...idealism and pragmatism are forced into conflict at every turn.  No easy answers.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:EXC

Beyond Saving wrote:

EXC wrote:

Ken G. wrote:

Which is also why Iran is supporting the protesters. They are hoping that in the chaos an Islamic government will be able to take over. Iran doesn't give a shit about freedom, democracy or equality in Egypt. I am torn on the issue. While I am always for people getting freedom, I am not convinced that the freedom movement in Egypt is large enough or organized enough to set up any semblance of a Western style democratic government. I am afraid that the Muslim Brotherhood will likely become the main political force and take over, no doubt with assistance from Iran and money from Islamic Fundamentalists.

As Americans, we really need to discuss our financial support of dictators around the world. While I understand the short term benefit we get by having relatively benign dictators that will do whatever we want because we pay them off, in the long term it often harms us. We have done similar things throughout Central America, Cuba, Afghanistan, Iran etc. and it rarely turns out good for us in the long run. The Egyptian people see the US as helping their oppressive government, and they are right. Unfortunately, their anger towards us might steer them toward putting their faith in our enemies.   

While that is a fear and certainly there are more fundy types there, there have been lots of cries for a secular government and even reports of "Allah Akbar" being shouted down during the protests because the protesters said it was a secular movement not a religious one.

AND I saw two videos recently  one of an actual protester saying, "We don't care what you believe, you could be Christian, Jew, Muslim or atheist, we just want Mubarak out".

AND an interview with a female Egyptian historian on MSNBC saying the same thing.

I doubt even with the brotherhood, unless they could come up with the same types of money Mubarak did, that they would be able to maintain a oppressive rule. The Egyptians had 30 years of that, I don't think they would put up with anyone doing that. Even from what insiders are saying is that they don't want to take absolute power, but just want a seat at the table like everyone else.

AND I also don't think it will be that long before Iran falls to it's citizens too. Their rule still has plenty of money which is why their protests were squashed last year, but their younger people wont grow into the same totalitarian rule they live under now. I think within my lifetime Iran will fall too.

The cat is out of the bag as far as freedom and technology wont be able to squashed out so easy now. More and more people all over the world are now understanding how small the world is and can see that even in spite of the governments they live under, they see plenty of people in the west that are not against the citizens themselves, just the rulers they might live under.

I fear what will happen in Iraq if they don't get their economy going. I fear they might end up with a worse dictator than Sadamn. But they too, lived under a dictator so I think as long as technology is open there they can constantly be reminded as to what they just left.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog