Who is listed right along side Noah and Job in the Old Testament ???

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who is listed right along side Noah and Job in the Old Testament ???

A reference in the bible?  It sound as if a "Baal worshiper" is right along side 'righteous ones' listed like Job and Noah, in-the  OT book of "Ezekiel-Fourteenish" ezekiel Fourteenish:12-21 ?  In all fairness, it could be a transcription error . Has anyone ever heard about this?

Please tell me something about this if you can.  A little out of my depth. 

FYI this is not a bible lesson,  forum Ref in : "The Ancient Near East: An Anthology of Texts and Pictures"

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Do you mean Daniel? Ezekiel

Do you mean Daniel? 

Ezekiel 14:19

Quote:

19  "Or if I should send a plague against that country and pour out My wrath in blood on it to cut off man and beast from it,

20  even though Noah, Daniel and Job were in its midst, as I live," declares the Lord GOD, "they could not deliver either their son or their daughter. They would deliver only themselves by their righteousness."iver only themselves by their righteousness."

Daniel was not a Baal worshiper 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel

Are you perhaps thinking of the tribe of Dan? You may need to elaborate on the OP

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who is listed right along side Noah and Job in the Old Testament

Quote:

Insanely few even know about the alleged "Transcription" error. Critics suggest it "might' be an obscure reference to a Ugartic tale and not the "biblical" Daniel at all. 

You might want to reflect  that in a direct answer to-this. A very serious question. If this is  a matter of  an accusation of academic dishonesty. I m willing to except your take.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 I'm going to look this up

I'm going to look this up tomorrow, getting very late now, sleepy.  

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ktulu wrote:Do you mean

Ktulu wrote:

Do you mean Daniel? 

Ezekiel 14:19

Quote:

19  "Or if I should send a plague against that country and pour out My wrath in blood on it to cut off man and beast from it,

20  even though Noah, Daniel and Job were in its midst, as I live," declares the Lord GOD, "they could not deliver either their son or their daughter. They would deliver only themselves by their righteousness."iver only themselves by their righteousness."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel

Are you perhaps thinking of the tribe of Dan? You may need to elaborate on the OP

Wrong Daniel apparently. Ezekiel supposedly lived about 400 years before the biblical Daniel, so he is probably referring to the Ugaritic Dnil. Either that or he was dropping the name of someone not yet born in with two old guys, both of whom were not Jewish. Dnil of Ugarit was a Baal worshipper.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

Quote:

Insanely few even know about the alleged "Transcription" error. Critics suggest it "might' be an obscure reference to a Ugartic tale and not the "biblical" Daniel at all. 

You might want to reflect  that in a direct answer to-this. A very serious question. If this is  a matter of  an accusation of academic dishonesty. I m willing to except your take.

This is a distraction and completely misses reality.

The reason polytheists are mentioned in the bible is because this start up rival had to find a way to market their wears while demonizing the competition. So you incorporate old ideas, change names and characters. Yahweh started out as one god in the divine family of the Ugartic texts along with Baal.

This is no different when Pepsi comes out with a new soda and Coke looks at it and says, "we need to come up with  a competing product.

Religions are successful, not because their traditions, superstitions or god/s. Religions are successful because of humans marketing them.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 are you like the only one here nowadays ?

Brian37 wrote:

This is a distraction and completely misses reality.

The reason polytheists are mentioned in the bible is ... 

Depending on what classification you are talking about. You might be confusing the nitty gritty with the 'biz'  . . . I am finding christians  keep side~stepping important issues, because of a real lack of  historical  knowledge.  Plus, ANYTHING that makes  christians get up and crack OPEN  a book.  Should NOT  be considered at all worthless  :~