E-cigs, smokers is this the awnser???

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
E-cigs, smokers is this the awnser???

For anyone not familiar with an E-cig it is a battery powered electronic cigarette (vaporizer).  I have struggled for many years to quit smoking, I made it for 3 years (smoked cigars here and there) but then went backpacking and starting up again.  The feeling of something in my hand while I drink, the blowing of smoke, it's very hard to stop.  I've always associated the act of smoking with doing something "wrong" "bad", something I need to stop and something I will eventually pay for will my health.  But can I have my cake and eat it too?   The e-cig uses water vapour instead of any combustion to produce the smoking effect and throat hit therefore no carbon monoxide, no tar, no fire no smoke and no ashes.  You can get it with nicotine or without, and every flavour from watermelon and cherry lava to plain old tobacco flavoured.    I think I have exhausted almost every website and you tube video on this product, I didn't know how advanced the e-cig was and how well they worked.  I mean you can charge this thing at night on your usb and smoke it all day long 12 hours of use for heavy smokers.  You can smoke this thing in restaurants, bars, almost anywhere because it's completely harmless, it's just water vapour even non smokers don’t mind it yet smokers feel the same hit they get from a smoke.   This seems like the future of smoking to me, no more clumbsy lighters, dirty ash, yellow teeth, black lungs.   I will be ordering my first volcano inferno and testing it as soon as I can. It seems almost too good to be true, a never-ending magic cigarette that isn't a cigarette, lasts all day, doesn't harm you at all, and some say tastes even better.  Only time will tell...

Their is a huge network of people who have quite "analogue" cigarettes and began "vaping."  Check out http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com

The largest online community of people who "vape."

This is the best supplier of E-cigs I could find

http://www.volcanoecigs.com/

Some videos on the products:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhA8RX5OSOA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT4gaPAC_UM

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Smoker when drinker here, too.

I read something that suggested they were just as evil for you. I forget why.

It's tough to stop, I agree.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: I

Atheistextremist wrote:

I read something that suggested they were just as evil for you. I forget why.

It's tough to stop, I agree.

My government says this about electronic cigarettes:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/media/advisories-avis/_2009/2009_53-eng.php

Which can be summed up by quoting them:

"electronic smoking products may pose risks such as nicotine poisoning and addiction."

Well were already addicted to the act of smoking and there is no way you can over dose on the nicoteen unless you mix your own Kevorkian batch. Also you can smoke it nicoteen free.  I don't think there is any debate on the fact the vapour is vertually harmless, 100 fold atleast in comparison to a lit cigarette. As far as I can tell the doctors say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRr8KubdhCA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtCiq2kafe8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaZ6abK2RrQ&feature=related

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
How cheap are they to smoke

How cheap are they to smoke compared to cigs?

I might get one for my brother, see if I can prolong his life by a few years.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
$60 for the best model on

$60 for the best model on the market, comes in red black or chrome.  After that you just get refillabel cartridges, or make your own cartridges with your flavour of choice bulk style.  Very cheap in comparision to cigarettes, maybe $40-80 per month on liquid and equipment as appose to 300 for a pack a day.  Check out the volcano site.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
I smoked e-cigs for a while

I smoked e-cigs for a while but iv quit completely now. From what I experianced it was pretty good. Slightly more expensive than normal smoking where I live but that may be differant for you.

Little warning, don't expect them to be interchangable with analogues. You are likely addicted to more than just the nicotine. It will take a few days maybe a week or two to get used to the differances. But its not like quiting, its smoking but just feels differant, I didn't find it hard to adjust. Oh and you will likely start chaining it up untill the transition period is up. I know I did.

As for health, I felt my body get better when I swoped. I cannot say anything about long term but I certainly felt better using e-cigs than normal ones.

I am 100% certain, short of governments banning it first the e-cig is what smoking will turn into one day.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not a smoker, but at a

I'm not a smoker, but at a place where I worked last year, several people were starting to use these. They're very interesting; if I could invest money in these somehow, I definitely would.

They look exactly like regular cigarettes, you smoke them like regular cigarettes, and you actually get nicotine. I remember my co-worker saying that they were actually slight cheaper; if the refill cartridges are more expensive than regular cigarettes, it's not by much. It's probably healthier for you too; regular cigarettes have an entire shopping list of harmful chemicals and poisons. Yet, I think people are primarily addicted to the nicotine, so switching to this should be exponentially easier than quitting entirely. The people I talked to essentially confirmed that it was very easy to switch to this.    

But, the best part, by far, as already noted, is that there's no second hand smoke. Only water vapor. Not only does this mean that it won't be a health issue to people around you, it means you can smoke it anywhere. 

Edit: There's a lot of psychological conditioning involved too. People could just get nicotine patches, but........the very act of smoking is associated with the good feelings of the nicotine; people like holding it in their hand and puffing it. This product; it's......good.   

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 All the 'gadget monkeys'

All the 'gadget monkeys' at my work have switched already, I live in Canada, Ontario so a pack of smokes is about $10.  I think it will be a while before we see the hardcore not tech savvy smokers switch to it.  I haven't seen anyone outside work use it.  I should point out that I work for a very 'geek' heavy company.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I read up on those last year

I read up on those last year when I learned about the tobacco companies adding a fire retardant (FSC) to the products... found them to be too expensive. I buy a carton of Tahoe for $38.

Since opening shop in my home, I've restricted my smoking to designated areas only - this week I reduced it even more to just the bathroom and the back porch and I've gone from a pack a day to 1/2.

I'm not worried about my health, last chest x-ray my lungs were clear and my blood pressure is low - it's the cost that bugs me that's $200 a month I could be spending on something else that doesn't simply go up in smoke. Besides, I don't think I actually 'inhale'. Seriously, I don't breathe the smoke deeply down into my lungs, it just kind of hits the back of my throat and then I blow it out. Is this how other people inhale? I don't know.

I quit twice before, the first time was hell and I had dreams for a year about being in a smoke filled room. The second time was a piece of cake...that's when I got involved with martial arts... the first day was a bitch but, every day after got easier. Stupid me for starting up again.

Anyway, I'd rather quit than switch to another addiction.

Hah! Wasn't there a cigarette commercial that said, 'I'd rather fight than switch'?? Was it Vantage? I remember actors with black eyes.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nope, not Vantage...Taryton 

Nope, not Vantage...Taryton

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some of the work of E.

Some of the work of E. Bernays

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I remember

I remember when the cheap paperback books  you could get at the local bookstores (before the days of online ordering and major retail chains) that had those cigarette ads in the middle of them. The good old days.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I

harleysportster wrote:

I remember when the cheap paperback books  you could get at the local bookstores (before the days of online ordering and major retail chains) that had those cigarette ads in the middle of them. The good old days.

Yeah, I remember the first pack I bought cost like, .34 cents! Of course, back then in the 1970's, you could buy a new car for around $3,400.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote: Edit:

butterbattle wrote:

Edit: There's a lot of psychological conditioning involved too. People could just get nicotine patches, but........the very act of smoking is associated with the good feelings of the nicotine; people like holding it in their hand and puffing it. This product; it's......good.   

I once tried to start, but could never remember to pick the damn thing up and smoke it.  To me, the taste is atrocious and I never got anything resembling a nicotine hit.

The smell is atrocious, too.  I never realized until I got divorced.  My parents smoked and so did my ex.  So it was "normal" to live in a house that reeked of cigarettes.  Once I lived on my own for a month or two, then went someone's home where they smoked, I realized how bad the smell was.  People who smoke - their hair and clothes stink.  And while divorced, I once kissed a smoker - after not kissing a smoker for some months - and their mouth tasted disgusting.  All reasons my second husband is a non-smoker.

The only thing I know bad about the non-tobacco cigarettes is that they do not reduce your chances of lung cancer to zero.  Though people who have never smoked have been known to develop lung cancer.  The reason is that hot vapor alone can cause excessive cell divisions - an indication of irritation.  And it is the excessive cell replication that possibly leads to cancer.  I'll hunt up studies if people want, but it is what researchers look for when they do studies on mice.  The mice don't live long enough to develop cancer, they usually don't have time during the study to wait even a few months for real cancer to appear.  So when they dissect the mice, they look for places where the cells are explosively subdividing and extrapolate that as probable cancer.  It's one of the reasons I don't buy risk of cancer estimates based on only these kind of studies.  Give me a well run epidemiological study on humans instead.

And the epidemiological studies give clear correlation between smoking and lung cancer and heart disease.  But for me, it's the smell and taste more than any risk of cancer that keeps me from smoking.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
HELL NO!! I'm a VERY light

HELL NO!! I'm a VERY light smoker.  Only about 2 cigarettes a day so it take almost 2 week just to smoke 1 pack!

But I also exercise a lot and stay in great shape and eat right (very little meat, vegetarian most days).

Did you know less than 10% of smokers get lung cancer?  A lot of ex-smokers get it. The bottom line is it's all about lifestyle and not just if you smoke or not.  I agree with those who say chain smoking is bad and really increases your risk.

I could never even smoke a half a pack a day much less a pack or 2 a day!  If you smoke more than 2 or 3 a day it starts to choke you in a sense and you lose the taste of that nice flavor.

The best are Camel lights (Turkish tobacco is great) and Marlboro menthols.

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:HELL

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

HELL NO!! I'm a VERY light smoker.  Only about 2 cigarettes a day so it take almost 2 week just to smoke 1 pack!

But I also exercise a lot and stay in great shape and eat right (very little meat, vegetarian most days).

Did you know less than 10% of smokers get lung cancer?  A lot of ex-smokers get it. The bottom line is it's all about lifestyle and not just if you smoke or not.  I agree with those who say chain smoking is bad and really increases your risk.

I could never even smoke a half a pack a day much less a pack or 2 a day!  If you smoke more than 2 or 3 a day it starts to choke you in a sense and you lose the taste of that nice flavor.

Even if that 10% number is accurate, you also have to factor in all the other causes of death exacerbated by smoking.  Every study not done by a tobacco company shows smoking at all rates reduces life expectancy.  Statistically, "1 or 2 a day is fine' just isn't true.

It doesn't matter what your lifestyle is.  Statistically, you will be outlived by your peers who do not smoke and your final years will be less pleasant.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad

mellestad wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Even if that 10% number is accurate, you also have to factor in all the other causes of death exacerbated by smoking.  Every study not done by a tobacco company shows smoking at all rates reduces life expectancy.  Statistically, "1 or 2 a day is fine' just isn't true.

It doesn't matter what your lifestyle is.  Statistically, you will be outlived by your peers who do not smoke and your final years will be less pleasant.

I have to call BS on this statement. There are things far more harmful to a body than mild to moderate smoking. ( 5 pack-a-day chain smokers not included)

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:mellestad

Sandycane wrote:

mellestad wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I have to call BS on this statement. There are things far more harmful to a body than mild to moderate smoking. ( 5 pack-a-day chain smokers not included)

Who said that was the most harmful thing you can do to your body?  That seems quite a straw man to make out of what I wrote.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote: Sandycane

mellestad wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

mellestad wrote:
Even if that 10% number is accurate, you also have to factor in all the other causes of death exacerbated by smoking. Every study not done by a tobacco company shows smoking at all rates reduces life expectancy. Statistically, "1 or 2 a day is fine' just isn't true.

It doesn't matter what your lifestyle is. Statistically, you will be outlived by your peers who do not smoke and your final years will be less pleasant.

I have to call BS on this statement. There are things far more harmful to a body than mild to moderate smoking. ( 5 pack-a-day chain smokers not included)

Who said that was the most harmful thing you can do to your body? That seems quite a straw man to make out of what I wrote.

Well, I would agree that it sounds like a strawman on the face of the idea. However, if you look deeper, the case is not so clear.

OK, so someone gets hit by a bus and dies. The fact that he was a smoker was totally irrelevant to the matter. Had he not been hit by a bus at age 30, one is tempted to project into the future and make some type of prediction as to what would have happened to him. The only problem here is that this is an individual case. As already shown, smokers die from non smoking related issues all the time. Therefore, it simply cannot be accurate to say that “smokers always get smoking related illnesses”.

That, in itself is going to be part of the 10% figure.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Also, it is a fact that some people just are not going to have the specific genetic predisposition to any given problem.

Now, what follows is, again, about individuals but even so, it needs to be considered.

When I was a teenager and nearly ready to look for work, I did a couple of summers of volunteer work locally. One of them was in a nursing home. I spent that time, I part, pushing around people in wheelchairs who had ashtrays bolted to the arm rests. Heck, they made it 75 years of smoking and it was not a problem. Something is going to kill them fairly soon. There is no point in denying them the one pleasure that they have left in this world.

Again, this is a case of a very small sample size, so it is hard to conclude much from it. However, those who speak in the absolutist terms that “all smokers must get smokers illnesses” are clearly not operating in the real world.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now, there is one more factor that I would like to touch on. Do you remember the multi billion dollar tobacco settlement from a dozen or so years ago? That was based on the categorical assumption that smokers require more in total service and more in total dollars of end of life care.

Well, that is one of those things that is in the area of “kind of/sort of/not exactly”. The fact is that when you look at numbers for 100,000 of population, smokers do tend to die sooner. Thus they actually have a lower cost for end of life care (since they get one thing that will kill them). Non-smokers tend to end up with a few expensive things that need to be dealt with.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

OK, so someone gets hit by a bus and dies. The fact that he was a smoker was totally irrelevant to the matter. Had he not been hit by a bus at age 30, one is tempted to project into the future and make some type of prediction as to what would have happened to him. The only problem here is that this is an individual case. As already shown, smokers die from non smoking related issues all the time. Therefore, it simply cannot be accurate to say that “smokers always get smoking related illnesses”.

This reminds me of something Chris Rock said about John Maccain.  Something among the lines that if you're that old, getting hit by a bus is considered dying of natural causes "If he was younger he woulda gotten the fuck out of the way!"

Chris Rock is funny.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc