WTF??!? WHY is there pro-Christian banner ads on the front page??!!??

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
WTF??!? WHY is there pro-Christian banner ads on the front page??!!??

I went to the main front page (which I usually don't do) and I was shocked to see a banner ad for some dumbass site about peace with god or some crap and there was a stupid prayer on their page saying we had to say this and accept Jesus.

What the F*CK!!???!??!?!??  Come on Sapient or whoever is in charge! Can we PLEASE get some more responsible and SANE ads on the front page to properly represent the great site of www.RationalResponders.com?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
The administrators do not

The administrators do not really have control of the ads that appear on the site. Google simply reads the keywords in the page and picks ads based on that. Naturally, many of them will be religious ads.

You don't have to think of it as a bad thing. Those Christians paid Google to advertise their site. Then, our website is paid for having those ads. So, in a way, our website is being paid for by Christians.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:I

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

I went to the main front page (which I usually don't do) and I was shocked to see a banner ad for some dumbass site about peace with god or some crap and there was a stupid prayer on their page saying we had to say this and accept Jesus.

What the F*CK!!???!??!?!??  Come on Sapient or whoever is in charge! Can we PLEASE get some more responsible and SANE ads on the front page to properly represent the great site of www.RationalResponders.com?

Google AdSense detects this forum as a forum about religion...and posts ads accordingly.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you use Firefox? 

Do you use Firefox?  Install AdBlockPlus.  Great add-in.

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:Do you use

cj wrote:

Don't say that too loud Smiling People will notice. And besides, the fewer people who use ABP, the less advertisers are annoyed by it. If everybody would use ABP, they would have to find a new (worse) way to advertise.
Just keep it for the elites Eye-wink

I was also going to say that I find it ironic that Christians pay for this website Sticking out tongue

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
If they want to pay an

If they want to pay an Atheist owned site to post an ad, let them... Not only shouldn't we care, we should all click on it a few times...  ad revenue gets generated through the amount of clicks..

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thunderios wrote:cj wrote:Do

Thunderios wrote:

cj wrote:

Don't say that too loud Smiling People will notice. And besides, the fewer people who use ABP, the less advertisers are annoyed by it. If everybody would use ABP, they would have to find a new (worse) way to advertise.
Just keep it for the elites Eye-wink

I was also going to say that I find it ironic that Christians pay for this website Sticking out tongue

What is interesting is it almost always blocks the ads on the main page, but it doesn't block the ads on this page.  I haven't told it to do so.  As you know, but for the benefit of those who don't know ABP, you can set which ads to block and which to allow.  And I don't mind the Amazon or book ads.  And I even click on them when I remember that that is the only way I can contribute at the moment.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:If they

Rich Woods wrote:

If they want to pay an Atheist owned site to post an ad, let them... Not only shouldn't we care, we should all click on it a few times...  ad revenue gets generated through the amount of clicks..

Are you saying that every time someone clicks on the ad on this site, the one responsible for placing the ad (christian groups, etc...) have to pay this site for each click?

I'm with you...I'll be clicking on those ads from now on. Maybe if the advertising gets too expensive, they'll quit!

We could have a contest: See who can click the most christian ads in an hour.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yeah, the way google ads

Yeah, the way google ads work is they pay for a certain maximum number of clicks, say 10000, and they pay for each click up to that amount. Once it has been clicked 10,000 times the ad stops running until they approve more. So by clicking, not only do you cost them money, but if they haven't approved a high enough number you might be stopping other people from seeing the ad. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Yeah,

Beyond Saving wrote:

Yeah, the way google ads work is they pay for a certain maximum number of clicks, say 10000, and they pay for each click up to that amount. Once it has been clicked 10,000 times the ad stops running until they approve more. So by clicking, not only do you cost them money, but if they haven't approved a high enough number you might be stopping other people from seeing the ad. 

Exactly.

Plus, if you click on their sites you are responsible for a small measure of their bandwidth being used up.

On the downside, you give them a page hit and that might give them legitimacy, but lets me honest, it isn't going to matter.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: Are you

Sandycane wrote:

Are you saying that every time someone clicks on the ad on this site, the one responsible for placing the ad (christian groups, etc...) have to pay this site for each click?

I'm with you...I'll be clicking on those ads from now on. Maybe if the advertising gets too expensive, they'll quit!

We could have a contest: See who can click the most christian ads in an hour.

I second that. I'll be clicking on every Christian website that I see !

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:I

harleysportster wrote:

I second that. I'll be clicking on every Christian website that I see !

Funny, since I've been reading this thread, I haven't seen the xtian banner ads - and I've been looking for them. I have seen them in the past though and also thought, 'WTF!'

Now, I can't wait for them to pop up again.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Beyond

mellestad wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Exactly.

Plus, if you click on their sites you are responsible for a small measure of their bandwidth being used up.

On the downside, you give them a page hit and that might give them legitimacy, but lets me honest, it isn't going to matter.

Ok I feel better about it now.  Why don't we just get those nutty Christian groups to send us a check?

But wouldn't you agree it would be better if we had some other sites banner ads like a travel/tourism group, retail store, tv network, etc.?  If we did use that Ad Blocker then we'd just get non-religious banner ads here.

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:But

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
But wouldn't you agree it would be better if we had some other sites banner ads like a travel/tourism group, retail store, tv network, etc.? If we did use that Ad Blocker then we'd just get non-religious banner ads here.

Well, that would make sense if people were calling the shots. Too bad that is not the case.

Really, google is about as impersonal as a service can get. The google servers scan the pages as they come across them. Then they place ads based on what might pass as keywords. Watch this:

Moslem women want to date you now! Burkas are the ultimate in sex. See the space around her eyes. Hot moslem girls. Moslem babes. Date moslem chicks.

Now wait a while for google to run into this thread again and see just what kind of ads it loads here.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Tadgh
atheist
Tadgh's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's exactly what I was

That's exactly what I was thinking. Having seen at least two christian oriented ads, I just figured, "Good. The xians have to pay for that." I didn't even think about the fact that the RRS gets money for showing the ads as well. But, clicking on them? It would have never occured to me.

lalib
atheist
lalib's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Just wanted to say that I

Just wanted to say that I just saw an ad in this thread by Google for their pay per click ad service.