Genesis 1:3

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Genesis 1:3

And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. (Genesis 1:3, King James Version)

The Hebrew verb has two states; the perfect state, which indicates completed action, and the imperfect state which indicates action in progress, incompleteness. In Genesis 1:1 created in the Hebrew was the perfect state indicating completeness. The act of creating the heavens and the earth were complete. In 1:3, though the KJV doesn’t indicate the imperfect state of action in progress, when God says let there be light he actually proceeded to say let there be light, and light gradually came to be. A much more accurate translation, by J.W. Watts reads: “Afterward God proceeded to say, ‘Let there be light’; and gradually light came into existence,” Benjamin Willis Newton’s translation does likewise; brackets his: “And God proceeded to say [future], Let Light become to be, and Light proceeded to become to be [future].” The imperfect state is crucial to a fuller understanding of the first chapter of Genesis because it occurs 40 times.

Later verses indicate that though the light was gradually increasing after the first “day” but the source of that light wasn’t discernable until the fourth. We will see that later. This has caused a great deal of confusion with science minded skeptics. The sun had been created in verse 1, the light had penetrated the dust and debris by the first creative “day” but the source was not yet visible.

The Hebrew word for light used in verse 2 is ohr, which means the light given from the source rather than the source itself. That will become evident in later verses. Ohr is light diffused.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
so...Luminaries were

so...

Luminaries were perfectly complete - just unable to generate light?

or

They were able to generate light and when God said "let there be light" it cleared out the layer of water vapor, dust and gases (Oh wait, you believe the water canopy is correct - never mind).

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

David Henson
Theist
David Henson's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

so...

or

They were able to generate light and when God said "let there be light" it cleared out the layer of water vapor, dust and gases (Oh wait, you believe the water canopy is correct - never mind).

The Hebrew ohr means light. So light was visible at this stage, but the source of the light, the maohr, which is used later, wasn't visible until later. Maohr means the source of light and ohr means the light from the source.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
David

That does not change my original question from the Genises 1:1 post.   A light first then the source? A light that fades into a visible source on the fourth day?  Whom was it visible to?   No people nor animals around for a few more days, your all knowing creator doesn't need to see it, it can see the unseen and unseeable.

The whole genises book is clearly a story written by  high minded poets,  they were not trying to write a realistic novel they were writing and reciting mystical poetry.   Get over your self,  its just a poem.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
David Henson wrote:In 1:3,

David Henson wrote:
In 1:3, though the KJV doesn’t indicate the imperfect state of action in progress, when God says let there be light he actually proceeded to say let there be light, and light gradually came to be.

A much more accurate translation, by J.W. Watts reads: “Afterward God proceeded to say, ‘Let there be light’; and gradually light came into existence,” Benjamin Willis Newton’s translation does likewise; brackets his: “And God proceeded to say [future], Let Light become to be, and Light proceeded to become to be [future].” The imperfect state is crucial to a fuller understanding of the first chapter of Genesis because it occurs 40 times.

The light gradually came into existence? Okay, I'll buy it for now.

David Henson wrote:
Later verses indicate that though the light was gradually increasing after the first “day” but the source of that light wasn’t discernable until the fourth.

Explain to me how that is indicated when we get there.

It wouldn't be discernible by a hypothetical human on the surface?

David Henson wrote:
The sun had been created in verse 1,

I don't see that heavens necessarily includes the sun, especially since it explicitly talks about God making the sun in verse 16. So.....please justify.

David Henson wrote:
the light had penetrated the dust and debris by the first creative “day” but the source was not yet visible.

What dust and debris? I don't see a verse mentioning dust and debris.

The source of the light was not yet visible? Well, according the verse, God just said, "Let there be light." That, to me, implies that there was no source, just light everywhere. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Troll....?

Troll....?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

so...

or

Obviously God made a switch for one time use. The book got it a little wrong. He didn't say "let there be light" he said "clap on"  *clap* *clap* but you know how fickle translations can be.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Obviously God made a switch for one time use. The book got it a little wrong. He didn't say "let there be light" he said "clap on"  *clap* *clap* but you know how fickle translations can be.  

It's been done.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

sawilliams (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
First verb is Jussive; second is Consecutive Imperfect

The first verb is Imperfect prefixed by Waw Consecutive, so it looks imperfect, but is translated with the Perfect verbal form, "And He said."  The second verb is Jussive (a mild command/strong wish), "Let it be light."  The third verb is another Imperfect prefixed by Waw Consecutive, and is translated with the Perfect verbal form, "It was light."  Whatever the light, the next verse (Genesis 1:4) says Elohim divided between it (the light) and between the darkness.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
sawilliams wrote: The first

sawilliams wrote:

The first verb is Imperfect prefixed by Waw Consecutive, so it looks imperfect, but is translated with the Perfect verbal form, "And He said."  The second verb is Jussive (a mild command/strong wish), "Let it be light."  The third verb is another Imperfect prefixed by Waw Consecutive, and is translated with the Perfect verbal form, "It was light."  Whatever the light, the next verse (Genesis 1:4) says Elohim divided between it (the light) and between the darkness.

Darkness is easy to explain, but where did this light come from that Elohim devided?  Sun, moon and stars don't show up untill the forth day.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
David Henson wrote:And God

David Henson wrote:

And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. (Genesis 1:3, King James Version)

The Hebrew verb has two states; the perfect state, which indicates completed action, and the imperfect state which indicates action in progress, incompleteness. In Genesis 1:1 created in the Hebrew was the perfect state indicating completeness. The act of creating the heavens and the earth were complete. In 1:3, though the KJV doesn’t indicate the imperfect state of action in progress, when God says let there be light he actually proceeded to say let there be light, and light gradually came to be. A much more accurate translation, by J.W. Watts reads: “Afterward God proceeded to say, ‘Let there be light’; and gradually light came into existence,” Benjamin Willis Newton’s translation does likewise; brackets his: “And God proceeded to say [future], Let Light become to be, and Light proceeded to become to be [future].” The imperfect state is crucial to a fuller understanding of the first chapter of Genesis because it occurs 40 times.

Later verses indicate that though the light was gradually increasing after the first “day” but the source of that light wasn’t discernable until the fourth. We will see that later. This has caused a great deal of confusion with science minded skeptics. The sun had been created in verse 1, the light had penetrated the dust and debris by the first creative “day” but the source was not yet visible.

The Hebrew word for light used in verse 2 is ohr, which means the light given from the source rather than the source itself. That will become evident in later verses. Ohr is light diffused.

And the Ancient Egyptians looked up into the sky and said "that is the sun, so therefor it is a god". And we all know how real a sun god is.

Give it up. You are not the first to try to retrofit science to suit your pet god claims.

Really, cut the crap.

If there was a god(by any name) which there isn't. But if we are pretending, this alleged super hero is doing a shitty job of convincing 7 billion of us to be on the same page.

If what you claim were "evident" why don't you have a patent and why haven't you won a Nobel Prize in Science?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is there a reason for this

Is there a reason for this thread to be alive? It took almost two years for some one to post a reply.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
 It happens.Miss David

It happens.

Miss David Henson. Interesting character of the JW persuasion.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

David Henson wrote:

The simpler explanation is to observe when the Greek Septuagint was created "hebrew" was still a polyglot of Aramaic and Greek without clearly fixed form. Thus when it was first translated into "hebrew" it was a correct emulation of Greek at the time but usage changed later. Or the translator did not understand Greek and did the best he could.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:Is

digitalbeachbum wrote:

Is there a reason for this thread to be alive? It took almost two years for some one to post a reply.

That is because the date of the post is in fine print and when you multi task like me on several websites while shouting at the Redskins losing or the idiocy of a clip of Limbaugh that Cobert or Maddow show, it is easy to pass those things over. But, it still does not negate the responses.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog