Hi from Cape Town

AtheistSam
atheist
AtheistSam's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi from Cape Town

I've really enjoyed the posts on this forum - nice to see so many varied thinkers here. I decided to join so that I can also post on the odd occasion (I find that mostly my thoughts are well expressed by others) and hopefully also make a contribution from time to time.

I look forward to being part of these discussions in the future: greetings from South Africa

rgdSam

What Would Jesus Drive? Well, God preferred an old Plymouth, "God drove Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden in a Fury"; Moses was said to ride a motor bike, "the roar of Moses’ Triumph is heard in the hills", while the apostles would carpool in a Honda, "the apostles were in one Accord".

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome aboard.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi from Canada.

Welcome. We have other South Africans on site its nice to see one more.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome, I look forward to

Welcome, I look forward to disagreeing with you Smiling

AtheistSam
atheist
AtheistSam's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Thx for the welcome

Thx for the welcome everyone: "gasp" there are other South African atheists here? I don't encounter many in real life - our new constitution is pretty liberal and we are moving away from the Calvinists that founded our country. (Wish they'd get over some of the stupid Sunday/Sabbath laws that prevent purchasing alcohol at supermarkets though Smiling )

And Ktulu - I look forward to seeing what we have in common and the opportunity perhaps, to agree to disagree: what do you find particularly annoying?

What Would Jesus Drive? Well, God preferred an old Plymouth, "God drove Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden in a Fury"; Moses was said to ride a motor bike, "the roar of Moses’ Triumph is heard in the hills", while the apostles would carpool in a Honda, "the apostles were in one Accord".

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
AtheistSam wrote:And Ktulu -

AtheistSam wrote:

And Ktulu - I look forward to seeing what we have in common and the opportunity perhaps, to agree to disagree: what do you find particularly annoying?

I was just kidding about the disagreeing part, I enjoy a good debate even if I have to play devil's advocate, but in the end I will always favour on the side of logic and reason. Smiling

I'm a rather bitter person, it's a long list...  let's see some of my favourites... hmmm:

1. Homeopathy

2. Vaccines causing Autism

3. Creationists (while amusing idiots on their own, when trying to change the education system they become dangerous)

4. Any irrational belief that directly or indirectly affects innocent people. 

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

AtheistSam
atheist
AtheistSam's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well Ktulu so far we are

Well Ktulu so far we are in agreement - my favorite homeopath cartoon is a little evil 'scientist' homeo about to pour a drop of his magic potion into the sea ... the caption is "with one drop I could poison the world"!

Can I add to your list of something that seriously annoys me --- and that is kosher/halaal meat. They slowly butcher these animals (the animal is not allowed to die until it bleeds to death) and hang them upside down while praying over them. Regardless of the SPCA rulings saying its a cruel and unusual death they justify it by their mythologies which they actually believe! Then the bit that sends me looking for a soapbox is that the animals they butcher so barbarically have "unclean" parts - so yep, you guessed it: they end up with the non-kosher/halaal meat which means I become an accomplice to this practice!!!

OK --- time for dinner: having non-religiously processed steak: yummmmm Smiling

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
G'day, and Welcome, from a

G'day, and Welcome, from a fellow "Southern Hemispherean" - Brisbane, Australia.

I have travelled a bit, but apart from an overnight stopover in Jo'burg on my way to Nairobi, haven't been to SA.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

AtheistSam
atheist
AtheistSam's picture
User is offlineOffline
 g'day mate - I've been to

g'day mate - I've been to Straya: fantastic place and best of all you blokes understand barbies! thx for the welcome and if I may add to your list of oxymorons: natural childbirth LOL

rgdSam