Jesus

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Jesus

I don't get this.  At stores all around the country you see Jesus candles and, for the most part, they have the same picture on the front.  Something like this:

So, why is Jesus imagined as an androgynous figure with facial makeup and pouty, lipsticked lips and luscious wavy locks?  I think he's wearing a night gown as well.  Plucked eyebrows too, now that I look closely.  If you see the real candle or a full sized photo it is fairly obvious Jesus has mascara on as well.  I'm not sure about the beard, it reminds me of Salma Hayek as the bearded lady (Not sure why).

Is this aimed at a particular market segment?  Older housewives?  Gay men?  Lusty teenagers of either sex?  A particular group of people, maybe Latinos?  I see them all over the place around here.  The candles, not the Latinos.  Although I see them too.  Hmm...correlation?  But in the Pacific Northwest, most Catholics are Latinos so it might be a larger Catholic trend towards strange man-girl Jesus images....

roseweeed
Superfan
roseweeed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't know about the candles

Don't know about the candles -- my guess is some sort of marketing survey showed candles with that image sold better, so more got produced and then people bonded with it.  Like brand loyalty -- can't have a candle without the authentic she-male Jesus.  Now they're everywhere . . . like Starbucks.

I've always thought that Jesus' image could be swapped with E.T.  Their stories are very much the same -- E.T. descends from the heavens, does good works, heals the sick, defends the meek, angers authorities, is pursued and captured, dies, is resurrected, and ascends back into the heavens, leaving mortals behind whose lives are forever changed.

One time I visited a Catholic artifacts wholesale outlet with a friend, a place where churches and priests could purchase everything from robes to beads to kneeling pads.  One entire aisle was nothing but framed pictures of the she-male Jesus, row after row after row.  Hundreds of them.  So I sneaked in a framed visage of E.T., stuck it in the middle, inconspicuous and surrounded . . . Lord, Lord, Lord, Lord, E.T., Lord, Lord, Lord, Lord . . .   Wonder if anyone ever noticed -- wish I could have been there when they did.

roseweed

Everything that happens, happens somehow.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
roseweeed wrote:Don't know

roseweeed wrote:

Don't know about the candles -- my guess is some sort of marketing survey showed candles with that image sold better, so more got produced and then people bonded with it.  Like brand loyalty -- can't have a candle without the authentic she-male Jesus.  Now they're everywhere . . . like Starbucks.

One time I visited a Catholic artifacts wholesale outlet with a friend, a place where churches and priests could purchase everything from robes to beads to kneeling pads.  One entire aisle was nothing but framed pictures of the she-male Jesus, row after row after row.  Hundreds of them.  So I sneaked in a framed visage of E.T., stuck it in the middle, inconspicuous and surrounded . . . Lord, Lord, Lord, Lord, E.T., Lord, Lord, Lord, Lord . . .   Wonder if anyone ever noticed -- wish I could have been there when they did.

That reminds me of a scene in the film Holy Mountain (psycho, I know) where fat men dressed as Roman soldiers and Virgin Mary sell Christian souvenirs. They get the Thief (main hero) drunk unconscious, they take a gypsum cast of him, and when he wakes up from alcohol, he sees a huge warehouse around him full of pasteboard Jesuses in cross position, made in his image. Which pisses him off a lot and proceeds to tear most of them apart. Eventually he gets tired, keeps one pasteboard Jesus and seeks a suitable place for him. When he tries to put him in a seemingly empty church, a priest kicks him out because he has one Jesus taken into his bed Sticking out tongue

Alexandro Chodorovsky knew what he made the film about Smiling

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why does that Jesus wear a

Why does that Jesus wear a necklace with a cross on it? If he's still alive then it appears he's saying, "This little cross I'm wearing is how I will be murdered." If he's just come back from the dead then it appears he's saying, "See. Even dead people can wear jewelry."

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
User is offlineOffline
E.T.

roseweeed wrote:

I've always thought that Jesus' image could be swapped with E.T.  Their stories are very much the same -- E.T. descends from the heavens, does good works, heals the sick, defends the meek, angers authorities, is pursued and captured, dies, is resurrected, and ascends back into the heavens, leaving mortals behind whose lives are forever changed.

Ok, I went ahead and laughed out loud at that.

Well played sir.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 I'm 100% Latin and that

I'm 100% Latin and that image of Jesus does nothing for me... maybe if he had perky boobs and a nice big round ass...  and some nice full lips, and a bouncy car with gold flames painted on the sides...  but I digress.

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey, Ktulu.

Ktulu wrote:

I'm 100% Latin and that image of Jesus does nothing for me... maybe if he had perky boobs and a nice big round ass...  and some nice full lips, and a bouncy car with gold flames painted on the sides...  but I digress.

...please go on...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Is this

mellestad wrote:

Is this aimed at a particular market segment?  

Women with penis envy and men with castration anxiety.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen