Hello

lala
lala's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Hello. I am seeking better company. Over the past month, I have been hanging out on Yahoo Answers. I guess my goal was to answer questions in the religion section in the hopes that some of the religious people would understand the atheist point of view a little better. I thought it would be a good place to post both serious answers and sometimes sarcastic answers depending on my mood or the tone of their question. What I found out was that the religious people on there can get away with anything even threatening to kill us without consequence and atheists get a violation for nearly everything they post whether it is good, bad, or indifferent. The discrimination and the censorship on Y/A has been driving me crazy. I need a place where a person can have a personality, speak their mind, be silly, be serious, be themselves. And ,most importantly, not have people following them around reporting everything little thing as abuse. I have come to the conclusion that trying to educate the people on there was a huge waste of time because it was like talking to a brick wall or a bunch of two year olds.

I am an atheist, activist, and historian. I love grammar, science, reading, music, TV, movies, and life in general. I have a low tolerance for stupidity but that doesn't mean I don't have my own stupid moments.  I can be a bit confusing to people sometimes because I simultaneously hate and love the human race. I am a misanthrope but at the same time I am an activist for human rights and equality. It makes sense in my head and that's all that matters.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.lala

Welcome to the forum.

lala wrote:
Hello. I am seeking better company. Over the past month, I have been hanging out on Yahoo Answers.

Lol. I recall having some fun on Yahoo Answers a while ago. Needless to say, the average IQ there is not particularly high, although still much higher than the yahoo messenger chat rooms.  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Yahoo Answers is pretty much

Yahoo Answers is pretty much majority rule; it's what happens when a site relies so heavily on reporting instead of more objective moderation.  What isn't popular gets censored.  Yahoo is cheap like that, which makes it something resembling the asshole of the internet's information systems; there's very little resembling intelligence outside of their pet advice areas.

I've been on forums where the Christians can say almost anything they like and get away with it and atheists have to shut up or get banned.  Needless to say for anybody who is familiar with my posting, I don't last long.

Welcome to RRS; you'll definitely appreciate it more here than there.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.A little surprised

Welcome.

A little surprised to hear about Yahoo being like that - I never went there myself.

If it is run as Blake says, that would explain it, I guess. Sad, but to be expected.

Another example of how simple 'democracy' can lead to the tyranny of the majority.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
lala wrote:      I am

lala wrote:

I am an atheist, activist, and historian. I love grammar, science, reading, music, TV, movies, and life in general. I have a low tolerance for stupidity but that doesn't mean I don't have my own stupid moments.  I can be a bit confusing to people sometimes because I simultaneously hate and love the human race. I am a misanthrope but at the same time I am an activist for human rights and equality. It makes sense in my head and that's all that matters.

Hehe, I think you said it perfectly lala.

Your probably going to like it here quite a lot. Welcome aboard.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno