Grand Opening...

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Grand Opening...

...Tomorrow!

It's been about 6 weeks since I made the commitment to make the plunge into the retail business and, somehow, I was able to keep right on schedule. Everything is in place and the local paper did a 'business spotlight' on me in today's paper (1/4 of a page with 3 pictures, continued on page 4!)...so... now the next phase is meet & greet my new customers.

I asked my friend to hang out and hand me tissues just in case no one shows.

Seriously, I'm pretty optimistic - I've had two customers already since I put up my sign and I've had three phone calls today about the shop from folks who read the article. One of them is a local busy-body who said she was real excited about it and would come by tomorrow. I know I won't need to spend any more $$ on advertising after she sees the place - her blabbing will be more than enough!

I'm glad I was ready a week early though, because all my nervousness has worn off and now I'm just plain excited!!!

Wish me luck!

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: Wish me luck !

By all means good luck,by the way what kind of store ? what do you sell ?  I must have missed that post.     

Signature ? How ?

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Good luck

I'm a bit to new to know who you are and what you're talking about, but I'll wish you the best of luck. I'll even spend some time thinking about you in my prayerless moments. That was a joke haha.

Please keep us updated!

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks Guys!See?? Even

Thanks Guys!

See?? Even moments before I open, I still make time for my atheist forum buds!  ...that's how much I value your opinions.

It's a sewing/craft supply outlet - home-based...for now.

This has been discussed on two separate threads (now three); one with Rebbecca and the other was the 'Unemployed Atheist' thread.

Got to go...one hour to Show Time!

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow, what a day!9am,

Wow, what a day!

9am, nothing...9:30, nothing so, I open a good book, kick back and start getting depressed. At 10, the busy-body shows. We had a good talk for about 30 minutes then...wham! non-stop traffic until 4! I couldn't leave the shop for one minute! Even made a few bucks. Took several orders and met a lot of nice people. Everyone said they would rather drive 40 miles out of town rather than shop at my competitors store and are so excited about having another option now.

I think it's official: I'm the owner of a soon-to-be very successful shop.

If it works out, the best part will be that I will be working my ass off for me for a change instead of working for someone else. Of course, if it fails, there will be no one to blame but myself.

Get this, my last customer was the lady I deal with at the unemployment office!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's wonderful.  Good

That's wonderful.  Good job!

Wish I could stop by -- maybe one day.......

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good luck

Good luck on your grand opening.

Diid you tell all of your customers that there was no god and that they were delusional if they thought there was ?

It would be a quick way to find out how many closet Atheists are in the community but it could be BAD for business. Might want to just play it safe.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline

I hope you make a fortune, what a great story.

Keep up the great work.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: ....wham ! non-stop traffic

Wow !  that sounds real good. I would like to tell you a short story,my aunt started her own business sewing and restoring old dolls,she was in big demand,my uncle Joe built a shop for her in the basement (it was nice),she was in business for over 30 years,she had to make appiontments to check out the old dolls that were constantly being brought to her to fix.      KEEP ON TRUCKIN '

Signature ? How ?

Thunderios
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Nice

Good job!
<long list of happy emoticons>

harleysportster wrote:
Diid you tell all of your customers that there was no god and that they were delusional if they thought there was ?

Might not be very good advertising, if you ask me Smiling "You are delusional. Come again!"

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:That's wonderful. 

cj wrote:

That's wonderful.  Good job!

Wish I could stop by -- maybe one day.......

That would be great! If you are ever in Middle TN, send me a PM and I'll give you directions.

One one hand, I'd like to blab all over the Internet where I am but, on the other, since it's home-based, I feel caution rules.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:     Wow

Ken G. wrote:

Wow !  that sounds real good. I would like to tell you a short story,my aunt started her own business sewing and restoring old dolls,she was in big demand,my uncle Joe built a shop for her in the basement (it was nice),she was in business for over 30 years,she had to make appiontments to check out the old dolls that were constantly being brought to her to fix.      KEEP ON TRUCKIN '

Wow, that's encouraging! I'm already planning on emptying another room to expand the shop.

I'll probably wait another month or two, when the weather gets warmer, and plan a huge yard sale/ re-Grand Opening.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thunderios wrote:Good

Thunderios wrote:

Good job!
<long list of happy emoticons>

harleysportster wrote:

Might not be very good advertising, if you ask me Smiling "You are delusional. Come again!"

Definitely NOT good for business.

Remember my Sonic incident? Although, while ordering cross stitch kits, I deliberately passed over any religious themes. I'll just have to remain a closet atheist and use subversive tactics to eliminate religion from the area.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
That's great Sandy, good

That's great Sandy, good luck and I hope you have some steady business!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
All I have to say to this is

All I have to say to this is "sew what?" Now make sure you do what Wall Street and big business does, ship all your jobs overseas to India and China so we can make pennies an hour for 80 hours a week and have the same slave labor they do. Because if we don't, we are UnAmerican.

This is my silly way of saying good luck.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Wow, what a

Sandycane wrote:

Wow, what a day!

9am, nothing...9:30, nothing so, I open a good book, kick back and start getting depressed. At 10, the busy-body shows. We had a good talk for about 30 minutes then...wham! non-stop traffic until 4! I couldn't leave the shop for one minute! Even made a few bucks. Took several orders and met a lot of nice people. Everyone said they would rather drive 40 miles out of town rather than shop at my competitors store and are so excited about having another option now.

If it works out, the best part will be that I will be working my ass off for me for a change instead of working for someone else. Of course, if it fails, there will be no one to blame but myself.

Certainly a good product and good service are key, but the reality is that half of all startups fail within the first two years. Planning ahead helps. Merely having a good product isn't all of it all the time. Luck does play part of it as much as the work does. I am not saying that to stop you from trying. Put all into it you can if this is what you want(meaning time and energy),

Always do your best at what you want to do. But don't think if it does not work out, that it is always you. Competition isn't about only making the least mistakes, it is also about being in the right place at the right time.

My point is competition is tough. Think about all the crappy pop stars who can wipe their asses with 1,000 bills, vs the much more talented bar musician who will go unnoticed.

Do this if this is what you want and make your best effort and. But don't put yourself down EVER for making your best effort.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Wow, what a

Sandycane wrote:

Wow, what a day!

Hehe, welcome to the world of being an "EVIL", "RICH" and "LUCKY" capitalist   Glad to hear your opening went well. Hope things keep working out for you. Keep us posted. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
PS:I decided half way

PS:

I decided half way through the day, yesterday, that I need more space. So, now I am in the process of cleaning out two finished rooms in my attic so I can move my bedroom up there so I can double the space of my shop downstairs. The cats are having a blast going up and down the stairs... it's been closed off to them before now.  

I never thought of myself as a 'Type-A' personality but, the older I get the more I seem to lean that way.  ...Oh, I just thought of why that is... the closer you come to death age, the more imperative it is to get things done!

Thanks for all the positive FB, everyone. It means a lot to me.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:I never

Sandycane wrote:

I never thought of myself as a 'Type-A' personality but, the older I get the more I seem to lean that way.  ...Oh, I just thought of why that is... the closer you come to death age, the more imperative it is to get things done!

Lol, so there is hope for me yet. Maybe I won't be lazy when I get older.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

Wow, what a day!

Hehe, welcome to the world of being an "EVIL", "RICH" and "LUCKY" capitalist   Glad to hear your opening went well. Hope things keep working out for you. Keep us posted. 

I wish her luck too, but I also think it is bullshit to always blame oneself when they don't "make it". In the town I work in, I have seen SEVERAL businesses pop up only to shut down months later. TWO attempts at a food joint in the same building right across the street IN ONE YEAR. And my former owners attempted another food place right down the street that failed and then rented out the building to someone else who attempted a food joint and failed.

AGAIN, it is not to discourage the attempt. I am all for her doing this if this is what she wants, but to put a dose of reality into it so she doesn't commit suicide if things don't work out.

One of my favorite comedians Richard Jenny commited suicide because he hadn't become the next Sinfield(sp). I think it is delusional to seek utopias and always think that "hard work" by itself always works. LUCK plays just as much a part of life as work does. If all it took was work, we'd all be rich.

I get sick of right wingers and assholes like Boener who think the business class is the only class in America and being rich is the only thing that is the measure of a person. BULLSHIT!

People who own businesses are the mooches. AND I AM FINE WITH THAT. The reality is that when you own the business YOU make money of of the labor of the people that work for you. You do the least physical labor, not the workers you pay.  I am fine with business owners who are not jaded and think they do it all by themselves. It takes workers and customers as well. Owning a business doesn't make you moral or better than those who work for you, it only means you own more material things.

Business ownership is the MINORITY not the majority. Most people in society are the workers. Most businesses FAIL within the first two years. THAT is the reality. The "land of OPORTUNITY" does not mean "all people who don't own businesses are losers".

Whoopie Goldburg said it best on "Inside The Actor's Studio" when a audience member asked her, "Will I get famous like you"?

Whoopie said, "All of you are capable of being great actors, but most, if not all of you, will not sit where I am sitting now".

Business risk is no different and if she fails, WHICH I DON'T WANT HER TO FAIL, as long as she tries her best, she can hold her head high no matter what happens.

Talking about reality does not make one negative, it makes one realistic. If she is wiling to face those odds she should not ignore them at the same time.

I love my boss, he is better than the prior owners. But he has this delusion that I am supposed to follow the same script he has just because he did it. He wants me to be impressed with his material things and I am not. What makes him a nice guy, is not what he owns, but how he treats us. But for some reason he wants to play morality police with my life by offering me a "career". I have what I want and need and if I want more, I determine that, not him.

My point is class war fare is bullshit and one's class doesn't make one more moral. If we are all individuals then we need to treat each other as such and not treat the working class and poor class as losers. The working class and poor are the people who do the work that put the rich where they are at. I get just as pissed at people who call someone who made it a "sellout".

I would still like my boss if he were just a cook and not the owner. He is a nice guy, regardless of his class. I just which people would stop being so fucking judgmental about others who don't have or don't want what they do.

I am SICK of this "either or" FALSE dichotomy. I am for her doing this if this is what she wants. But pointing out the reality of the odds and valuing the people who work for you doesn't make me negative or a commie.

WEALTH is not my issue, jadedness is.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:....WEALTH is

Brian37 wrote:

....WEALTH is not my issue, jadedness is.

Wow. I don't have time right now to reply to this line-by-line, which I intend to do later, because I need to put together information for one of my sales reps so he can help me design the layout of my shop.

Why? Because he has a degree in Marketing and has been with The most successful notions distributor for many years and I greatly value his advice and would be a fool not to ask for it.

In a nutshell, 'most' businesses fail because of poor research, planning and management. Rather than take the time to figure out exactly what is going wrong and why, they give up. I think that's why most businesses fail in the first two years - because the owners don't have the fortitude to tough it out and find a way to MAKE it work... And this quality is what separates the employees from the business owners.

I've got to comment on this though:

Quote:
I think it is delusional to seek utopias and always think that "hard work" by itself always works. LUCK plays just as much a part of life as work does. If all it took was work, we'd all be rich.
I strongly disagree... and will elaborate later....

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Brian37

Sandycane wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

....WEALTH is not my issue, jadedness is.

Wow. I don't have time right now to reply to this line-by-line, which I intend to do later, because I need to put together information for one of my sales reps so he can help me design the layout of my shop.

Why? Because he has a degree in Marketing and has been with The most successful notions distributor for many years and I greatly value his advice and would be a fool not to ask for it.

In a nutshell, 'most' businesses fail because of poor research, planning and management. Rather than take the time to figure out exactly what is going wrong and why, they give up. I think that's why most businesses fail in the first two years - because the owners don't have the fortitude to tough it out and find a way to MAKE it work... And this quality is what separates the employees from the business owners.

I've got to comment on this though:

Quote:
I think it is delusional to seek utopias and always think that "hard work" by itself always works. LUCK plays just as much a part of life as work does. If all it took was work, we'd all be rich.
I strongly disagree... and will elaborate later....

Sandy, even Trump has failed. Back in the late 80s he was bankrupt. Sure he came back from it, but even he failed.

I DO wish you all the luck in the world and DONT want to see you fail. But I'm sorry, I have seen even successful people FAIL. My prior owner had to sell of two other places. He tried to start another joint and it failed.

If you are going to blame yourself at every turn when the reality of life hits you, you are going to set yourself up for disappointment. Do your best, no one, least me, is going to tell you not to do your best. But it is bullshit to say "hard work" is the only thing in life. Luck is part of it too.

Humans will seek the easy way out whenever they can, which is why we invent things like cars and computers to make our lives easier, and why you want to own a business. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. But it is delusional to think you do it by yourself. NO ONE does it by themselves.

My boss could not take orders, seat people, cook and wash dishes all at the same time. He is the last person in and the first person out. HE IS ENTITLED TO DO THAT, but it is bullshit to say he is doing it all by himself. You might be the only one working in your business now, but once you grow you will hire people. Those people are not machines or property or numbers on a page. They will be just as important as you.

It is the same mentality as a husband who has a wife who doesn't have a job, "I own this house and you don't pay a dime so I get to dictate because I am the owner" How many women today would put up with that attitude? Why should a work environment be any different?

That attitude is what demoralizes workers and makes them less productive. I work where I work, first and foremost, because I need to eat. But I will never keep a job, no matter how well it pays, if the owner is a dictatorial prick. I love my job, not because of the pay, but because I am treated like I have a brain and my boss does not stand over me like a dictator. I would rather be poor and happy and have a life outside my job than to bow to someone's idea of what I should be. Paying someone does not mean you own them.

If we value give and take in society and we reject dictatorships then a workplace should be no different. The owner should have the final say, YES. But as a guiding principle in give and take, not iron fisted totalitarian dictatorships.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, Sandy, your thread is

Sorry, Sandy, your thread is getting hijacked 

Brian37 wrote:

Sandy, even Trump has failed. Back in the late 80s he was bankrupt. Sure he came back from it, but even he failed.

And did he fail because he was unlucky??? No. He failed because he made several mistakes. Instead of whining about poor luck he analyzed his errors and tried again. Like Sandy said, most businesses fail for a reason. Sometimes it is poor research, lack of funding or poor management. I have made several investing mistakes into failed businesses that ended up costing me a boatload of cash. Instead of whining about how unlucky I was I studied what went wrong and endeavor not to make the same mistakes again. If you look at most successful business people you will see the same pattern. The start a business, it fails, they study what went wrong, start another business. Rinse, wash, repeat until you get it right. Few get it right the first time, although with all the information available on the Internet I think it is much easier to avoid the most basic mistakes than it was 20 years ago.  Failure is ok if you learn from your mistake and going broke is not the end of the world. So when you go broke, don't kill yourself. 

Brian37 wrote:

I DO wish you all the luck in the world and DONT want to see you fail. But I'm sorry, I have seen even successful people FAIL. My prior owner had to sell of two other places. He tried to start another joint and it failed.

If you are going to blame yourself at every turn when the reality of life hits you, you are going to set yourself up for disappointment. Do your best, no one, least me, is going to tell you not to do your best. But it is bullshit to say "hard work" is the only thing in life. Luck is part of it too.

Wrong. If you are the sole proprietor of a business and it fails then you did something wrong. Either your product/service did not fill a large enough need at the price you are offering it for or you did not adequately contact the people who have the need for your product/service. But yes, even very successful business people can make mistakes and have a new business fail. In my experience this occurs most often because when starting a second business many people take short cuts and assume that things will be the same for the new location as they were for the old one when things might be very different. They don't work as diligently on the second business as they did on the first one, or, they have developed a business model that requires them to be heavily involved for the business to be successful and are simply spread too thin to take proper care of both locations. If you want to expand to multiple locations it is very important to have a business model that does not require your personal presence. Many business owners struggle with this concept because when they first start out like Sandy they HAVE to do everything because they cannot afford employees.

Brian37 wrote:

Humans will seek the easy way out whenever they can, which is why we invent things like cars and computers to make our lives easier, and why you want to own a business. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. But it is delusional to think you do it by yourself. NO ONE does it by themselves.

Why would you want to do it by yourself? That sounds like work. My goal is to get everyone else to do everything for me so all I have to do is sit on my ass and provide the money. I'm sure that someday Sandy would love to hire someone to staff the store so she doesn't have to be there every single day.

Brian37 wrote:

My boss could not take orders, seat people, cook and wash dishes all at the same time. He is the last person in and the first person out. HE IS ENTITLED TO DO THAT, but it is bullshit to say he is doing it all by himself. You might be the only one working in your business now, but once you grow you will hire people. Those people are not machines or property or numbers on a page. They will be just as important as you.

Sure, but if the business ever fails it is his fault. He can't blame the cooks, he is the one who hires/fires them (or decides who was the authority to do so) so if the quality sucks leading to a failed business it is ultimately his fault for hiring poor cooks (or not providing proper training to them). On the flipside, if his business remains successful it is his good decisions that have led to that success. Hiring employees is not that much different than choosing the quality of ham you buy. If you hire high quality employees you get high quality results. So while on a personal note and for morale building purposes having a good relationship with the employees is beneficial, at the end of the day employees are only worth the quality/quantity of output on the revenue report.

Brian37 wrote:

It is the same mentality as a husband who has a wife who doesn't have a job, "I own this house and you don't pay a dime so I get to dictate because I am the owner" How many women today would put up with that attitude? Why should a work environment be any different?

That attitude is what demoralizes workers and makes them less productive. I work where I work, first and foremost, because I need to eat. But I will never keep a job, no matter how well it pays, if the owner is a dictatorial prick. I love my job, not because of the pay, but because I am treated like I have a brain and my boss does not stand over me like a dictator. I would rather be poor and happy and have a life outside my job than to bow to someone's idea of what I should be. Paying someone does not mean you own them.

If we value give and take in society and we reject dictatorships then a workplace should be no different. The owner should have the final say, YES. But as a guiding principle in give and take, not iron fisted totalitarian dictatorships.

What does this have to do with anything? I agree, happy productive employees is a good thing. I actually think the best management style is to hire high quality people and let them make most of the day to day decisions so you only need to show up a day or two a month. Most businesses where management is trying to micromanage everything fail precisely because high quality employees will quit. I avoid investing in businesses where the proprietor thinks they need to be personally involved in everything. It is usually enough to hire high quality employees and only get involved in really important decisions.

I'm missing where the "luck" comes in. 

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hope you make gobs of

I hope you make gobs of money, and that owning a business brings you nothing but happiness...

Very happy for you, kiddo.... Do you do interent business too?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:My prior owner

Brian37 wrote:
My prior owner had to sell of two other places.

Wait... you have an owner?

This is starting to make sense now...

Given your signature:

Brian37 wrote:
Please also considering donating to Low Country Lab Rescue (dog rescue) at this link http://www.lowcountrylabrescue.org/

You're secretly a dog with computer skills, aren't you?

Sandy,

Congratulations.  Have a great time with this- I won't say "good luck" because I know you have the tenacity to stick to it and make your own luck Eye-wink

I hope you'll enjoy this business for a long time to come.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:I hope you

Rich Woods wrote:

I hope you make gobs of money, and that owning a business brings you nothing but happiness...

That's what I was wondering.  If you have something interesting I can shop early for my mom's next birthday.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Sorry,

Beyond Saving wrote:

Sorry, Sandy, your thread is getting hijacked 

Brian37 wrote:

And did he fail because he was unlucky??? No. He failed because he made several mistakes. Instead of whining about poor luck he analyzed his errors and tried again. Like Sandy said, most businesses fail for a reason. Sometimes it is poor research, lack of funding or poor management. I have made several investing mistakes into failed businesses that ended up costing me a boatload of cash. Instead of whining about how unlucky I was I studied what went wrong and endeavor not to make the same mistakes again. If you look at most successful business people you will see the same pattern. The start a business, it fails, they study what went wrong, start another business. Rinse, wash, repeat until you get it right. Few get it right the first time, although with all the information available on the Internet I think it is much easier to avoid the most basic mistakes than it was 20 years ago.  Failure is ok if you learn from your mistake and going broke is not the end of the world. So when you go broke, don't kill yourself. 

Brian37 wrote:

Wrong. If you are the sole proprietor of a business and it fails then you did something wrong. Either your product/service did not fill a large enough need at the price you are offering it for or you did not adequately contact the people who have the need for your product/service. But yes, even very successful business people can make mistakes and have a new business fail. In my experience this occurs most often because when starting a second business many people take short cuts and assume that things will be the same for the new location as they were for the old one when things might be very different. They don't work as diligently on the second business as they did on the first one, or, they have developed a business model that requires them to be heavily involved for the business to be successful and are simply spread too thin to take proper care of both locations. If you want to expand to multiple locations it is very important to have a business model that does not require your personal presence. Many business owners struggle with this concept because when they first start out like Sandy they HAVE to do everything because they cannot afford employees.

Brian37 wrote:

Why would you want to do it by yourself? That sounds like work. My goal is to get everyone else to do everything for me so all I have to do is sit on my ass and provide the money. I'm sure that someday Sandy would love to hire someone to staff the store so she doesn't have to be there every single day.

Brian37 wrote:

Sure, but if the business ever fails it is his fault. He can't blame the cooks, he is the one who hires/fires them (or decides who was the authority to do so) so if the quality sucks leading to a failed business it is ultimately his fault for hiring poor cooks (or not providing proper training to them). On the flipside, if his business remains successful it is his good decisions that have led to that success. Hiring employees is not that much different than choosing the quality of ham you buy. If you hire high quality employees you get high quality results. So while on a personal note and for morale building purposes having a good relationship with the employees is beneficial, at the end of the day employees are only worth the quality/quantity of output on the revenue report.

Brian37 wrote:

What does this have to do with anything? I agree, happy productive employees is a good thing. I actually think the best management style is to hire high quality people and let them make most of the day to day decisions so you only need to show up a day or two a month. Most businesses where management is trying to micromanage everything fail precisely because high quality employees will quit. I avoid investing in businesses where the proprietor thinks they need to be personally involved in everything. It is usually enough to hire high quality employees and only get involved in really important decisions.

I'm missing where the "luck" comes in. 

Bless you, my son... you just saved me from having to reply to Brian. I'm exhauted, physically and mentally so, I might have said something I would have regretted later.

Yeah, the 'luck' thing was absurd. If Brian believes in needing luck to be successful, he better start praying, too.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:I hope you

Rich Woods wrote:

Thanks Rich, I appreciate that.

Been open three days and have collected $$ each day so, off to a good start!

Nope, no Internet business - waaaaay too much competition plus, you have to consider shipping charges. Been there, done that, didn't like it.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Brian37 wrote:My

Blake wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Given your signature:

Brian37 wrote:
Please also considering donating to Low Country Lab Rescue (dog rescue) at this link http://www.lowcountrylabrescue.org/

Quote:
Sandy,

Congratulations.  Have a great time with this- I won't say "good luck" because I know you have the tenacity to stick to it and make your own luck Eye-wink

Thanks, Blake...tenacity is a good word for the occasion.

Duh, I just realized that I was the one who said earlier 'Wish me luck'. I meant it in the traditional way, not literally (Brian).   Like, 'Break a leg'.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Rich Woods

mellestad wrote:

Rich Woods wrote:

Very happy for you, kiddo.... Do you do Internet business too?

That's what I was wondering.  If you have something interesting I can shop early for my mom's next birthday.

Sorry... unless your Mom needs a baby quilt or a stuffed doll. I am focusing on selling the materials crafters need to make their own stuff. It's real hard to get paid the full value of a handmade item these days...lot's of competition (not to mention the Asian variety).

Have you checked out Etsy? Absolutely gorgeous handcrafted items for sale! mine included.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: Bless you,

Sandycane wrote:

Bless you, my son... you just saved me from having to reply to Brian. I'm exhauted, physically and mentally so, I might have said something I would have regretted later.

Yeah, the 'luck' thing was absurd. If Brian believes in needing luck to be successful, he better start praying, too.

No problem. You have a business to run. I actually rather enjoy going round and round with Brian on occasion. Especially when he starts telling me how "lucky" I am.  

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Blake

Sandycane wrote:

Blake wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Given your signature:

Brian37 wrote:

Quote:
Sandy,

Thanks, Blake...tenacity is a good word for the occasion.

Duh, I just realized that I was the one who said earlier 'Wish me luck'. I meant it in the traditional way, not literally (Brian).   Like, 'Break a leg'.

Sandy, I can take a joke, believe me. If you think I am driving you crazy in this thread, just think what my actuall co workers go through during inspecition time. And the ribbing I get every day from them. This is a walk int the park.

Sandy, we really are not on opposite sides on this issue. I think it is fantastic when people find something they enjoy and can make money doing it. But business ownership is the MINORITY in this country and it is very competitive and luck is as much a part of it as the work is, otherwise everyone would own a business and every business would succeed.

This is no different than mistaking the abundance of trees you see around you failing to take into account the amount of acorns that outnumber the full grown trees that rot and do nothing. There are far more employees than owners and far more businesses that fail than succeed.

I am just warning you not to set yourself up for disappointment if things don't work out. And I am also saying that life is not a script and that the workers are just as important as the owners and no one does anything by themselves, EVER.

You just talked about the busy body who gave you free advertising. YOU DIDN'T DO THAT, they did. Would things have been different if she hadn't gone around blabbing? That was an outside factor you had no control over. I am sure your own behavior around her helped, but you had no control over her once she left your store.

Do your research, I am quite sure that does help. Do your planning, I am quite sure that helps. But do not think that just because you own a business that there won't be outside factors that you have no control over, that might affect you in some way. You can only plan and do your best.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey go for it, Sandy.

My neice does the craft stuff - there's a lot of interest in it. Why not try the online thing  - I've plugged in her blog as a reference. Good luck to you!

http://pinklizzysews.blogspot.com/

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

Sandycane wrote:

No problem. You have a business to run. I actually rather enjoy going round and round with Brian on occasion. Especially when he starts telling me how "lucky" I am.  

I enjoy it as much as you too. But you are lucky. It is not "either/or". Doing your best is a given and it does help. But it is absurd to think that you can control everything all the time. There can be and often are, outside factors that you have no control over, that can affect you. Just like we have no face to face contact with Bin Ladin, but he has had an affect on us. Why would any other aspect of human existence be any different?

If you can accept science pointing to life being the result of a crap shoot, and also accept that it is a great tool for measuring and planning, but is only compass and does not claim absolutes, business should be no different.

Something will always hit you that you didn't expect. Planning can minimize the damage the unexpected, but it does not mean that you are always immune to being wiped out by something. You can only do your best and you cannot control other people, much less an entire economy which can affect you.

If you have food on your table and a roof over your head and live in a safe environment, you are damned lucky, owner or not.

To Sandy, regardless of our "differences" which I really don't think we have any, just that there are things you haven't considered. I really hope you succeed and your work ethic will be a factor, but it is not the only factor in life.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: My

Atheistextremist wrote:

My neice does the craft stuff - there's a lot of interest in it. Why not try the online thing  - I've plugged in her blog as a reference. Good luck to you!

http://pinklizzysews.blogspot.com/

Nice Blog! and very cute stuff!

Why not try the on-line thing? Because what I sell, people can already buy online or at their local sewing/craft shop. My super advantage is, that here there are no craft stores... except mine. If I don't have what my customer is looking for, I order it. I pay the shipping, they don't. And I make a profit.

My immediate focus is a 50-100 mile radius - that's a lot of customers. If I can create a large enough local customer base, while increasing my stock, my goal is to move to a much larger store and carry everything craft related.

But for now, I've got my hands full with what I have. Too much going on, with no help, and I could easily destroy what I have.

Maybe later as I grow and am able to hire some help, I am considering selling online craft items made by my customers. I am surprised at how many folks around here are computer illiterate. (Good for me though!)

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh, Brian.  I'll give you 5

Oh, Brian.  I'll give you 5 minutes because I have to get to work but, even if we continued this for hours, I doubt you would see the real difference between an employee and a business owner. I'm not interested in your views on socialism or the evils of Big Business right now.

As for being disappointed or, suicidal, neither are in my nature. If I give it all I've got and fail, it will be MY FAULT because I didn't try hard enough or I overlooked something. The only thing that would have made me disappointed is if I had not decided to make a go of it and someone else had. Period.

Brian37 wrote:

Sandy, I can take a joke, believe me. If you think I am driving you crazy in this thread, just think what my actuall co workers go through during inspecition time. And the ribbing I get every day from them. This is a walk int the park.

You're not driving me crazy. You appear to have no experience with business ownership so, your opinions regarding my situation have little value to me. Sorry but, true.

Quote:
Sandy, we really are not on opposite sides on this issue. I think it is fantastic when people find something they enjoy and can make money doing it. But business ownership is the MINORITY in this country and it is very competitive and luck is as much a part of it as the work is, otherwise everyone would own a business and every business would succeed.
We couldn't be more on opposite sides - I am a business owner and you are an employee. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that my business venture is equivilen to selling homemade cookies. It's not even close. I have invested a huge amount of time, effort and money after I made the decision to go ahead (after doing extensive research) and I will find a way to make this work. Period. Yes, business ownership is a minority compared to employees who work for them. It is also true that 1% of the population has 90% of the money.

Quote:
This is no different than mistaking the abundance of trees you see around you failing to take into account the amount of acorns that outnumber the full grown trees that rot and do nothing. There are far more employees than owners and far more businesses that fail than succeed.
Your analogy is flawed. The full grow trees can be compared to the business owners and the acorns to employees but, the acorns that rot are those who end up on welfare or always remain employees. Very few acorns make it to a mighty oak. And it has nothing to do with luck.

Quote:
I am just warning you not to set yourself up for disappointment if things don't work out. And I am also saying that life is not a script and that the workers are just as important as the owners and no one does anything by themselves, EVER.
Hate to burst your employee bubble but, employees are just cogs in the machine... and are often easily replaced by machines. Without an owner pushing the buttons,(employees or, machines) there would be no commerce... just a bunch of employees sitting around on Friday afternoon waiting for someone to sign their paycheck.

Quote:
You just talked about the busy body who gave you free advertising. YOU DIDN'T DO THAT, they did. Would things have been different if she hadn't gone around blabbing? That was an outside factor you had no control over. I am sure your own behavior around her helped, but you had no control over her once she left your store.
I've spent a small fortune on advertising and the busy-body played no part in the process. You are right, I have no control over what she says - good or bad - so, I would be a fool to depend on that type of advertising.

Quote:
Do your research, I am quite sure that does help. Do your planning, I am quite sure that helps. But do not think that just because you own a business that there won't be outside factors that you have no control over, that might affect you in some way. You can only plan and do your best.

I have and I will, thank you, and whatever unexpected road block should pop up, I will navigate around.

I've given you 20 minutes of my time when I had you scheduled for 5. Don't worry, I won't charge you extra.

One more thing you need to consider... when you clock out at the end of the day, your work is done and you get on with your personal life. A business owner is 'on the clock' 24/7 and has little time for a personal life. Think about that when you pick up your next paycheck.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I come from a long family

I come from a long family line of business owners, I grew up in the environment and I'm still around it.  My familial social life is surrounded by business owners and friends who are business owners.  Just establishing my 'street cred'.

Hard work is worth a lot, that and intelligence are the two most important things in any venture and in the long run they are responsible for pretty much everything else you need.

Having said that, of course Brian is right, not everything is under your control.  Luck isn't the right word, but the reality is there are *plenty* of situations that you simply can't work your way out of, and some of those situations are totally outside of your control so there is an element of chance.  Success is the same.

If saying, "I won't fail, there is a 100% chance I will succeed!" helps keep you motivated, great.  But if you have a stroke tomorrow and you become quadrapalegic you're not going to work your way out of it, your business venture will be over.  I could rattle off a virtually unlimited line of scenarios resulting in financial ruin, prison, general disaster, etc. but I won't because you know that.

What you can do is minimize risk and maximize success to the best of your ability.  The rest...is down to luck. Sticking out tongue

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:I come from

mellestad wrote:

I come from a long family line of business owners, I grew up in the environment and I'm still around it.  My familial social life is surrounded by business owners and friends who are business owners.  Just establishing my 'street cred'.

Hard work is worth a lot, that and intelligence are the two most important things in any venture and in the long run they are responsible for pretty much everything else you need.

Having said that, of course Brian is right, not everything is under your control.  Luck isn't the right word, but the reality is there are *plenty* of situations that you simply can't work your way out of, and some of those situations are totally outside of your control so there is an element of chance.  Success is the same.

If saying, "I won't fail, there is a 100% chance I will succeed!" helps keep you motivated, great.  But if you have a stroke tomorrow and you become quadrapalegic you're not going to work your way out of it, your business venture will be over.  I could rattle off a virtually unlimited line of scenarios resulting in financial ruin, prison, general disaster, etc. but I won't because you know that.

What you can do is minimize risk and maximize success to the best of your ability.  The rest...is down to luck. Sticking out tongue

You and Brian are being...I don't know the technical debating term for it... ridiculous. Sure, there are things that happen every day that are not accounted for in a business plan and that's when you improvise - or quit.

Let's see... I'll see your list of 'financial ruin, prison, general disaster, etc. ' and raise you a nuclear bomb.

I think the main point Beyond Saving and I were trying to get through to Brian is that LUCK has nothing to do with being a successful business owner...

...and technically, all of those 'unexpected' road blocks or disasters can be calculated and planned for in advance - unless you believe in Free Will and not determinism.

PS Brian: Here's another example of the difference between an employee and an owner - an employee can clock out for lunch at a pre-set time. I've been so busy this morning, I'm just now grabbing a PB&J sandwich before the next customer arrives. (I'm not complaining, though. I like it! )

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandy: Congratulations! I

Sandy: Congratulations! I hope you are successful, and more importantly, I hope you enjoy it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:I come from

mellestad wrote:

I thought I was alone in this thread, thank you. At least with this issue.

It is idodic to think that just because someone criticisises HOW an economy is going, somehow means that I a commie who wants a government run economy. NO!

And your employees are part of that "chance". If you have a high turnover rate your product suffers because you end up having to re-train people, whereas if they are happy, and stay, you have more productive people. What we have now is growing back to before the age of regulation. The ol "fronteer" "spirit" WAS SLAVERY. It was litterally every man for themselves, and with the exception of those who gained the money, life was awful. Our middle class really didn't pop up untill this past century and it was because of regulation and working standards and the value of the employee.

It cannot be "money equals power" and if you have it, you get power. China's communist party has a monoply on the wealth. Kim Jong Ill is not poor, although his country is. It is the ABUSE of power that is the problem and when you get too much of a monopoly on ANY POLITICAL SYSTEM, via class ware fare, the extreem can cut both ways. You can end up with the monopoly of socialism which the business class claims they don't want, but would love to have the slave labor China does. Or you can have tottal anarchy like Nigeria and Somolia where it is litterally every man for themselves.

We are going to end up like China's slave labor, or we will end up with a worker's revolt and actually end up with the government business owners say they don't want. I don't want that either.

There has to be a minimum standard along with that inequity otherwise you end up with anarchy or a workers revolt that leads to the very socialism they say they don't want. Either can and will  happen if the cost of living gap keeps exploding the way it is.

Class rule is the same thing as a dictatorship. A monopoly is still a monopoly, be it by a religion, political party, or class. Which is why our system is not communist or "every man for themselves" but one of advise and consent.

If you are going to stick by, "screw you if you don't want to be rich like me" , that is nothing but "might makes right".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: PS Brian:

Sandycane wrote:

PS Brian: Here's another example of the difference between an employee and an owner - an employee can clock out for lunch at a pre-set time. I've been so busy this morning, I'm just now grabbing a PB&J sandwich before the next customer arrives. (I'm not complaining, though. I like it! )

But in another post it was said they had no personal time because they were working 24/7. Again, if that is what they want to do, and they are happy with that GO FOR IT. But just don't project yourself on others who don't want to do that and don't make life economically impossible for them.

FYI my boss doesn't care when we take our breaks or how many we take as long as our work gets done. And that makes it much more less opressive when you can pace yourself and don't have a corporate script micromanaging you. Now that does require me showing him I don't need to be watched, which I do on my own. It works well for me because he'll ask me to do something BUT, after that he gets the fuck out of the way because he knows I will do it.

I like my job precisely because I am not tied to it, other than needing to eat and have a roof over my head. I like my boss because he gives me the leway to have my own brain and think for myself and do things on my own. I run circles around my co-workers PRECISELY because I am well rested because, at least right now, I only need one job.

But that is not the case for most people BECAUSE of the exploding pay gap and the gestapo script corporate America does to it's workers. Mom and pop shops treat their employees much better because if they are going to be dicks to them, they cant hide in an office 5 states away and pick people off anonomously like a car company or Wal Mart can.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:mellestad

Sandycane wrote:

mellestad wrote:

You and Brian are being...I don't know the technical debating term for it... ridiculous. Sure, there are things that happen every day that are not accounted for in a business plan and that's when you improvise - or quit.

Let's see... I'll see your list of 'financial ruin, prison, general disaster, etc. ' and raise you a nuclear bomb.

I think the main point Beyond Saving and I were trying to get through to Brian is that LUCK has nothing to do with being a successful business owner...

...and technically, all of those 'unexpected' road blocks or disasters can be calculated and planned for in advance - unless you believe in Free Will and not determinism.

If you assume you can control every factor I think that might more appropriately fall under 'ridiculous'.  For example, someone could be driving past your street looking for a hot dog stand and decide to come see you instead.  Did you control that?  No, it was 'luck'.  Can you help influence it?  Sure, you make sure you have a sign out and you make your place look attractive...maximizing potential and minimizing risk.  But that random person stumbling by was 'chance'.  They might turn out to be a 'busy body' who hates everything you do and begins a smear campaign that results in a 20% loss of revenue.  They might decide they love everything you have and buy out your whole inventory.  Can you influence that?  Probably, but it isn't always possible in a practical way.

Attempting to calculate all variables would fall under maximizing and minimizing.

This is, actually, very similar to the debate about free will and determinism, you are right about that.

------------

I doubt we disagree, I would imagine this is an issue of term usage.  Or you are just naively optimistic, but I've never had that impression before, so I imagine we're just talking past one another.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:... I doubt

mellestad wrote:

... I doubt we disagree, I would imagine this is an issue of term usage.  Or you are just naively optimistic, but I've never had that impression before, so I imagine we're just talking past one another.

You are probably right about this except for the part about 'luck' and 'chance'... I don't believe in either.

If the guy looking for hot dogs stops at my shop it is because he can't read signs or, maybe he's asking for directions...the point is, 'luck' has nothing to do with him stopping at my shop. He did it for a reason. Assigning the term 'luck' to the incident is equal to assigning credit to god when you need rain on your garden and -voila!- it rains.

I'd love to continue this but, I've got to go move a room full of furniture up to my attic now.

Later

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:mellestad

Sandycane wrote:

mellestad wrote:

... I doubt we disagree, I would imagine this is an issue of term usage.  Or you are just naively optimistic, but I've never had that impression before, so I imagine we're just talking past one another.

You are probably right about this except for the part about 'luck' and 'chance'... I don't believe in either.

If the guy looking for hot dogs stops at my shop it is because he can't read signs or, maybe he's asking for directions...the point is, 'luck' has nothing to do with him stopping at my shop. He did it for a reason. Assigning the term 'luck' to the incident is equal to assigning credit to god when you need rain on your garden and -voila!- it rains.

I'd love to continue this but, I've got to go move a room full of furniture up to my attic now.

Later

I hope we don't need to explain what we mean by luck and chance.  In case we *really* do, we would mean, "Events caused outside of practical control."

For example, if an airplane crashes into your house and kills you, sure, you *could* have built your business in a bunker. You *could* have installed anti air missile batteries on your roof.  Did your business not succeed because you failed to prepare for scenario?  I guess you could say that but most people would look at you funny.  

I wouldn't use the word 'luck' outside of a forum like this, but I expect most people here to understand the usage in a non-mystical way.  My fingers will get tired if I have to type the alternative every time.  I'm sure it would make Blake happier though.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I enjoy it as

Brian37 wrote:

I enjoy it as much as you too. But you are lucky. It is not "either/or". Doing your best is a given and it does help. But it is absurd to think that you can control everything all the time. There can be and often are, outside factors that you have no control over, that can affect you. Just like we have no face to face contact with Bin Ladin, but he has had an affect on us. Why would any other aspect of human existence be any different?

If you can accept science pointing to life being the result of a crap shoot, and also accept that it is a great tool for measuring and planning, but is only compass and does not claim absolutes, business should be no different.

Something will always hit you that you didn't expect. Planning can minimize the damage the unexpected, but it does not mean that you are always immune to being wiped out by something. You can only do your best and you cannot control other people, much less an entire economy which can affect you.

If you have food on your table and a roof over your head and live in a safe environment, you are damned lucky, owner or not.

To Sandy, regardless of our "differences" which I really don't think we have any, just that there are things you haven't considered. I really hope you succeed and your work ethic will be a factor, but it is not the only factor in life.

I went through a period in my life where I didn't have food on my table except what I killed myself, I didn't have a roof over my head and another period where I had a roof over my head but was in an extremely unsafe environment. I got out of those situations by solving logical problems one at a time, not through "luck". Sure, everyone has different situations that they end up in through happenstance. Some might arguably be easier than others to overcome. If you mean "luck" as in the sense that a nuclear bomb hasn't blown up on my head (or some other unavoidable tragedy) then sure I am lucky, but really no more so than the kid working the drive-through window who also has not had a bomb drop on his head. Also, I suppose there is quite a bit of luck in being born in a country with a relatively free economy that gives you the opportunity to do what you want.

However, when you are talking about running a successful small business (or investing in one) luck is an extremely small factor and not any more important than your luck at walking up stairs. Would you say "Wow, I walked up the stairs without falling, that was lucky"? Of course not. Even though a little bad luck might have caused you to trip and break a bone. It is absurd to look at a successful business person and presume that they must be more lucky than all the failed business people and that is why they are different. I see this kind of logic in the poker room all the time, players complaining how unlucky they are or how lucky another player is that they never consider that their long term losing streak is because they are doing something wrong. In the short term, anyone can have a stroke of luck that has good or bad effects on them. Over the long term, you will find the persistently "lucky" are doing something better than everyone else.

Good "luck" is found in business by creating your own opportunities or being prepared and watchful for opportunities. In Sandy's example she had a busybody who turned out to be a good advertising tool for her. Was there a small portion of luck in that the busybody stopped by her business? Maybe. But Sandy did extensive advertising and put her business out there. Then she made sure her potential customers (including the busybody) had a positive experience. It was BECAUSE of Sandy's choices and actions that the busybody decided to provide her free advertising. A successful business owner will always create and nurture positive relationships with people who might be beneficial in the future. You would be surprised at how many up and coming business owners fail to do so. It seems obvious that a business owner should shamelessly self-promote themselves but some businesses are downright hard to find. A business owner like Sandy who obviously loves to talk about her business will attract more people to her store. If she provides them with a good experience, some of them are going to advertise for her, others might never say a word about her store to anyone. It isn't "luck" that brings in people who will advertise for you, it is volume. If you bring in enough people and provide enough of them with a good experience some of them will advertise for you. 

You might think that it is the "luck" of who you know or meet that helps make you successful. Well, who you know and who you meet is extremely important but is most effective when you get to know people intentionally. There is a lot of money to be made from introducing people to other people that they need at the moment. That is why rich people have such thick rolodexes. Now the person who is raised among such people might have a small advantage, it is by no means a closed circle. Especially if you prefer to deal with small start-up businesses (as I do). Successful small business owners are always happy to talk to anyone and everyone about their business. They have a true passion for what they do. They will also be more than happy to give you a business card. Most importantly, when you ask in depth questions about their business and its operation they will often tell you about what they need. If you can fulfill that need or know someone who can you have a money making opportunity. The most universal need is cash, you would be surprised at how many people who are millionaires on paper have surprisingly little cash available without taking out loans. Their assets tend to be tied up in their business. If you can help people get what they need you can get good things in return. What you get varies by the situation. Sometimes it might be a commission, ownership in the company, a favor or just a "thanks a lot, let me know if I can ever do anything for you" depending on the exact situation. 

If you go out and meet enough people, some of them will be useful. It is a sheer numbers game. The more people you know and talk to the more likely one is to present you with an opportunity. Of course, taking advantage of that opportunity and recognizing those opportunities that can be profitable and those that are money pits is another task entirely and a different chapter in my unwritten book. And another task that is more skill than luck.

In Sandy's case, it would make sense for her to get to know local business owners, people involved in her industry either professionally or as hobbyists, and anyone who might be able to provide services that she might need in the future. Based on what she has posted it sounds like she is already well on her way to knowing the right people. Is it luck? I think not. She obviously has a great passion for what she is doing and I doubt there is anyone she comes in contact with who doesn't know about her business (except for perhaps the people at Sonic). So when people check out her store and are attracted by her charm it should come as no surprise that some of them are going to tell their friends about the great little shop that just opened up and has the nicest owner, you just have to go check it out. That is not luck. 

Now is she lucky that her store hasn't been struck by lightening and burned to the ground? I suppose. Is it lucky that that fabric industry has not had draconian regulations placed on it that would prevent her from entering the industry that she would experience if she wanted to be say, a health insurance company? I guess. Although that luck is really secondary to the ultimate success/failure of the shop. When it comes to getting the customers in the door and making them happy, that is ALL skill. If someday she finds that customers are not coming in the door, she will have to analyze her business and determine what is wrong. The simple check list is Am I offering a product people want? Are people who want my product aware of my store? Are my prices good enough? Do people enjoy their shopping experience here? Based on the answers to these questions she might have to change a few things. That is skill, not luck.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
So Beyond, you agree in

So Beyond, you agree in principle you're just arguing about degree, right?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:So Beyond,

mellestad wrote:

In short- yes. 

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving

Beyond Saving wrote:

mellestad wrote:

In short- yes. 

Cool.  Unless Sandy and Brian want to post competing percentages and argue about it I think everyone is in agreement.  It's so nice when everyone gets along!

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Beyond

mellestad wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

mellestad wrote:

In short- yes. 

Cool.  Unless Sandy and Brian want to post competing percentages and argue about it I think everyone is in agreement.  It's so nice when everyone gets along!

Lol,

Well for Sandy she is dealing with about 4.76% luck give or take. If I were to decide to start a new business it would be about 1.7% The difference is due to our ages since a crippling health problem or death is probably the most likely obstacle that would prove unsurmountable. Since her business is new, I assume it would go under if she was unable to work due to health issues. On the other hand, most of my current business interests do not require any direct effort on my part and would operate quite well even if I was in a coma or even dead, not that I would care at that point.  

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:I went

Beyond Saving wrote:

I went through a period in my life where I didn't have food on my table except what I killed myself, I didn't have a roof over my head and another period where I had a roof over my head but was in an extremely unsafe environment. I got out of those situations by solving logical problems one at a time, not through "luck". Sure, everyone has different situations that they end up in through happenstance. Some might arguably be easier than others to overcome. If you mean "luck" as in the sense that a nuclear bomb hasn't blown up on my head (or some other unavoidable tragedy) then sure I am lucky, but really no more so than the kid working the drive-through window who also has not had a bomb drop on his head. Also, I suppose there is quite a bit of luck in being born in a country with a relatively free economy that gives you the opportunity to do what you want.

However, when you are talking about running a successful small business (or investing in one) luck is an extremely small factor and not any more important than your luck at walking up stairs. Would you say "Wow, I walked up the stairs without falling, that was lucky"? Of course not. Even though a little bad luck might have caused you to trip and break a bone. It is absurd to look at a successful business person and presume that they must be more lucky than all the failed business people and that is why they are different. I see this kind of logic in the poker room all the time, players complaining how unlucky they are or how lucky another player is that they never consider that their long term losing streak is because they are doing something wrong. In the short term, anyone can have a stroke of luck that has good or bad effects on them. Over the long term, you will find the persistently "lucky" are doing something better than everyone else.

Good "luck" is found in business by creating your own opportunities or being prepared and watchful for opportunities. In Sandy's example she had a busybody who turned out to be a good advertising tool for her. Was there a small portion of luck in that the busybody stopped by her business? Maybe. But Sandy did extensive advertising and put her business out there. Then she made sure her potential customers (including the busybody) had a positive experience. It was BECAUSE of Sandy's choices and actions that the busybody decided to provide her free advertising. A successful business owner will always create and nurture positive relationships with people who might be beneficial in the future. You would be surprised at how many up and coming business owners fail to do so. It seems obvious that a business owner should shamelessly self-promote themselves but some businesses are downright hard to find. A business owner like Sandy who obviously loves to talk about her business will attract more people to her store. If she provides them with a good experience, some of them are going to advertise for her, others might never say a word about her store to anyone. It isn't "luck" that brings in people who will advertise for you, it is volume. If you bring in enough people and provide enough of them with a good experience some of them will advertise for you. 

You might think that it is the "luck" of who you know or meet that helps make you successful. Well, who you know and who you meet is extremely important but is most effective when you get to know people intentionally. There is a lot of money to be made from introducing people to other people that they need at the moment. That is why rich people have such thick rolodexes. Now the person who is raised among such people might have a small advantage, it is by no means a closed circle. Especially if you prefer to deal with small start-up businesses (as I do). Successful small business owners are always happy to talk to anyone and everyone about their business. They have a true passion for what they do. They will also be more than happy to give you a business card. Most importantly, when you ask in depth questions about their business and its operation they will often tell you about what they need. If you can fulfill that need or know someone who can you have a money making opportunity. The most universal need is cash, you would be surprised at how many people who are millionaires on paper have surprisingly little cash available without taking out loans. Their assets tend to be tied up in their business. If you can help people get what they need you can get good things in return. What you get varies by the situation. Sometimes it might be a commission, ownership in the company, a favor or just a "thanks a lot, let me know if I can ever do anything for you" depending on the exact situation. 

If you go out and meet enough people, some of them will be useful. It is a sheer numbers game. The more people you know and talk to the more likely one is to present you with an opportunity. Of course, taking advantage of that opportunity and recognizing those opportunities that can be profitable and those that are money pits is another task entirely and a different chapter in my unwritten book. And another task that is more skill than luck.

In Sandy's case, it would make sense for her to get to know local business owners, people involved in her industry either professionally or as hobbyists, and anyone who might be able to provide services that she might need in the future. Based on what she has posted it sounds like she is already well on her way to knowing the right people. Is it luck? I think not. She obviously has a great passion for what she is doing and I doubt there is anyone she comes in contact with who doesn't know about her business (except for perhaps the people at Sonic). So when people check out her store and are attracted by her charm it should come as no surprise that some of them are going to tell their friends about the great little shop that just opened up and has the nicest owner, you just have to go check it out. That is not luck. 

Now is she lucky that her store hasn't been struck by lightening and burned to the ground? I suppose. Is it lucky that that fabric industry has not had draconian regulations placed on it that would prevent her from entering the industry that she would experience if she wanted to be say, a health insurance company? I guess. Although that luck is really secondary to the ultimate success/failure of the shop. When it comes to getting the customers in the door and making them happy, that is ALL skill. If someday she finds that customers are not coming in the door, she will have to analyze her business and determine what is wrong. The simple check list is Am I offering a product people want? Are people who want my product aware of my store? Are my prices good enough? Do people enjoy their shopping experience here? Based on the answers to these questions she might have to change a few things. That is skill, not luck.

Words of Wisdom, copied to a word doc. and printed!  ...and I want a copy of that book of yours when you get it published!

Actually, I did have to make a crucial decision based on current affairs in the fabric industry: Two months ago, someone told me that the cost of cotton was going up come the first of the year so, I decided to wait and see if it was true before I decided which product to focus on - fabric or yarn. Well, sure enough, it did and now my focus is on building my yarn (synthetic) inventory. I still look for bargains on fabric though and will buy them when I come across them and there are basics that I will stock.

When the sales of cotton fabric go down because people refuse to pay the unreasonable high prices (and I think it will), I'll stock up on cotton fabric.

I've also been working my 'people skills'. I ask every customer who comes in to fill out a short questionnaire; contact info and craft interests, etc... those who are highly skilled in one area or another, I've asked if they would be interested in teaching a class. Positive responses so far. I also plan on writing a brief newsletter to send out once a month with business information like the days of the week I order and when I get in new products.

So far this week, I've made about half the sales I had figured I needed to break even - and I think that's fantastic for my first week in business.

I'm not being dense about the 'luck' issue. Sure, something terrible could happen that I have absolutely no control over but...

I still don't believe in luck or chance when it comes to building a successful business.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
PS Beyond Saving.... you

PS Beyond Saving.... you know, if I had an investor backing me, where I could afford to purchase all of the craft items I KNOW I could sell right now, instead of buying in dribs and drabs so as to not stress my credit card, and I could afford to rent an actual store in town, and hire several employees to handle the throngs of shoppers, I'd  be whistling Zippity-Do-Da out my butt. (remember the Griswold's 'Vacation'?)

Seriously, one of my distributors has a sale on DMC floss, all 475 colors on a spinner rack, ($4,000 retail). I told one of my customers about it today and she said she wished I would buy it because that's her preferred brand... and she's an expert cross-stitcher.

I have a Pay Pal account....

(I hope you know I'm just kidding with you)