Vegan food

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Vegan food

Hey Blake, what are some of your favorite dishes?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
I' m not Blake.

But I like Big Mac's, doubble whoppers with cheese,  mashed potatos & gravey, steak, pork, most anything Italian,  water buffalo; did I ever mention I weight 250 lbs.; peanut butter, macaroni-cheese-tuna fish combo,....etc. with a diet pepsi and lo-cal salad.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

But I like Big Mac's, doubble whoppers with cheese,  mashed potatos & gravey, steak, pork, most anything Italian,  water buffalo; did I ever mention I weight 250 lbs.; peanut butter, macaroni-cheese-tuna fish combo,....etc. with a diet pepsi and lo-cal salad.

All at one meal?

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Hey Blake,

mellestad wrote:

I usually like food that's mostly protein, and high in unsaturated fats.  Dense nutrition.  Lettuce is very lame- I usually won't touch it, as it does not qualify as food to me.  If I don't have bread, though, I will use it as a wrap if it's free- to wrap *actual* food in. 

You will rarely ever see me eating anything resembling a typical salad (maybe a couple times a year, if it's free and I don't have anything else to eat).

I eat mostly nuts, seeds, and beans, good bread, and pasta (which are all actual food).  Carrots qualify as good filler, and I'll usually use them shredded, but they don't compose much of my diet.  Fruit-wise I mostly eat tomatoes and peppers.  If I'm going to eat a green vegetable, it will probably be kale, collards, or some kind of spice like basil.

One of my favourite is a tahini and tomato sandwich, with basil leaves, and crushed black pepper and salt, on sourdough bread.  Rye bread is also good, if I have rye flour on hand  (I usually bake fresh sourdough with rosemary).

Hummus is a good go-to food.  Loaded with protein and complex carbohydrates.

Very firm tofu (little to no water in it) fried with hot peppers and soy sauce, with mushrooms, kale, and ginger.

Pasta with carmelized onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes.  Giant pots of chilli and occasional cornbread.

I frequently make lasagna and pizza, making the sauce and crust from scratch, and filling them largely with TVP (which is dense soy protein and fiber), and making a cholesterol free/low saturated fat (high in mono and polyunsaturated fat) cheese from almond meal.  I use a little shredded carrot as filler, and sometimes make a small "green" layer from dark greens like collards.

My vegan friends tend to look at me dubiously, wondering quietly if I've given them something non-vegan.  I'm widely regarded to make the "best pizza/lasagna ever" even by omnivores.

I go through maybe a liter of olive oil a month, a few pounds of almonds and other nuts and seeds, large quantities of flour/pasta, beans, and TVP, and uncanny amounts of tomato.

I'm also a pretty big fan of nutritional yeast, with regards to the nutrient content and taste for the cost; I don't always use it, though, as it's pretty specialty (needs to be bought in bulk).

I'm not big on sweets, but it's not uncommon for me to bake super-dense brownies using peanut butter, molasses, and the most cocoa powder you've ever seen used in a baked good.

I also bake cookies and cakes (usually pineapple coconut), if the need arises, but I don't do so for myself.

All in all, I cook with science and nutritional analysis of foods per cost and taste, and optimize based on that.

I spend $2 - $3 on food a day, I eat more and better than pretty much anybody I know, and I'm not fat.  I can't complain.

Sure, one misses meat and cheese for a while, but it's kind of like smoking- or religion.  The cravings go away, you stop wanting it, and eventually you don't need it anymore and it becomes apparent how irrational it is, and in many cases it's even distasteful after long enough.  One just has to make it over the hump starting off.  Taste is largely relative- don't eat much sugar, things taste sweeter, etc.  Just takes a little time to adjust.

Now I'm curious; most of the vegans I know in person are atheists- any other vegans or vegetarians on RRS?.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Thanks! Do you have much

Thanks!

Do you have much variety in your food overall, or are the things listed most of your go-to staples?

Are you still living in China?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Do you have

mellestad wrote:

Do you have much variety in your food overall, or are the things listed most of your go-to staples?

That was a pretty big list, and much depends on exactly how I prepare them, but variety is a non-issue- is inherent in the art.  I don't work from recipes... this isn't a particle phenomenon, but more of a wave.  I may have misled by listing, because the list itself is more of an imaginary "mean" of a body of foods that has such a variance that the mean never really occurs.  I cook in a space of flavours and chemistry, and every possible combination, so I can make anything that's viable as a food with the ingredients I have in arm's reach. 

"Pizza", for one, can vary greatly in itself- the only thing liable to be quite the same is the bread.  And stir-fry depends on the vegetables used.  I can make dozens of sauces for pizza, pasta, and whatnot, and fairly legitimately make anything I could possibly want, but I mostly focus around those I mentioned specifically because: 1. They're cheap 2. they're healthy and 3. I have found those techniques to be effective/efficient.

I mix it up quite drastically when I feel like it; it's not uncommon for me to make spring rolls, dumplings,  soup (lentil, split pea, tomato, rarely potato and onion, and anything else that happens to sound good),  and casseroles that defy simple descriptions.  I also make some things that would take paragraphs to explain, so I left those off.  The most conventional thing I make is probably popcorn when in the states or Canada (it's harder to find in China, and crazy expensive in Mexico, so I eat less of it when there), though it may be exotically spiced.  I don't really like potatoes much, but once in a blue moon I will feel like eating broiled potato wedges with olive oil and pepper- that varies little because I don't put much time into potatoes (having little interest in them); usually I just do this quickly when somebody else wants potatoes.  I also eat pineapple when it's cheap, and occasionally buy a big bag of frozen blueberries or cranberries.  And in China, I eat quite a few oranges because people keep giving them to me (free fruit is good in my book, though I will rarely buy it).  In the states I eat more apples, because people keep giving those to me (again, free fruit is good).

I've also made sushi and such, but as mentioned elsewhere I'm really not that keen on nori, and it's crazy expensive to buy some of that stuff (if I ate like that, I'd be spending something like $4 a day- Madness).  Added to that rare category are things like stuffing, twice baked potatoes, pumpkin pie, breakfast cereal (purchased, not made from scratch- though I have made granola), etc.  It's usually not something I can be bothered with spending time or money on, because I don't like it that much, but I'll make it for other people maybe once or twice a year.

I don't really like curry in general, except on popcorn, but I *could* hypothetically cook that if I felt like it.  I could also eat veggie burgers, but I don't see the point when I'd rather have something else by an order of magnitude or so.

I can't recall really *failing* at cooking anything I felt like I wanted (actually, I usually outdo whatever I was trying to make), but I'm mostly happy with the usual because I like it more than anything else.

If I feel like something else I've never made before, I can go to a grocery store, a gas station convenience store, or even just scrounge up enough things in the average kitchen to make something I want to eat, extracting the potential dish from the abstract flavour space of possibilities given what I have access to.  I'm like MacGyver when presented with a poorly stocked kitchen- give me a few random ingredients, and I can come up with something edible. 

You only have a box of corn starch, half a package of stale saltine crackers, three ketchup packets, a jar of pickle juice, and some airline peanuts?  I can work with that, and I'm not kidding when I say the results will probably be as good as what you'd find at most restaurants (which I find to generally be pretty profoundly bad, so it doesn't take much to beat).

Anyway, like I said, since I don't work from recipes, anything I mention that I've eaten or commonly eat is more of an approximation; a rough definition given to a broad and versatile category of what appears roughly to be a thing- the word is more the mean of what that thing would be, potentially, than what it ever is.  Variety is inherent, because- in fact- I tend to doubt that I have made quite the same thing twice in years.  I'm always tweaking, even drastically changing and searching for improvements.  There are things that work, and general tendencies I follow that have come about for good reason which I tend to vary less, but none-the-less variety is an inherent element in experimentation, which is an inherent element of art, which is inseparable from cooking for any self respecting chef Eye-wink

mellestad wrote:
Are you still living in China?

I'm there off and on.  At the moment I'm "chillin" in Mexico (awesome t-shirt weather), and in a month or so I'll head stateside for a bit, then probably through Canada briefly and back to China for a while.  It's tough to say.

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh FFS

Do you really think those living plants like being ripped out of their natural environment, loaded onto a truck, pulverized by scalding hot steam, and ground to bits by your gnashing teeth, depriving them of their natural right to procreate and pass along their genetic information to future generations?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:Do you

smartypants wrote:

Do you really think those living plants like being ripped out of their natural environment, loaded onto a truck, pulverized by scalding hot steam, and ground to bits by your gnashing teeth, depriving them of their natural right to procreate and pass along their genetic information to future generations?

That may sound like a new and clever joke to you, but I've heard it about a thousand times, so it's really pretty lame by now.

In the off chance that what you said isn't a fail joke, and you're really that big of an idiot (I've really only heard this argument from complete morons, but just to be safe):

1. Plants have no conscious ambitions or pain.  Don't even try to cite studies that show they feel pain; they have chemical reactions to stimuli which have direct physiological effects (much like somebody who is brain dead does due to the autonomic nervous system), but these can not be accurately described as pain because the plants aren't reactively motive (they are unable to run around avoiding pain, or seek out food in the sense of an animal), anything resembling an active intelligence and self-awareness required to execute that ego-based response is superfluous, and evolutionary baggage that would be impossible to sustain. They don't need the kind of consciousness intelligent moving animals have, so they don't have it.  The same can probably be said for sedentary animals such as sponges.  Complex avoidant behavior necessitates some sense of ego, which involves the dynamics of pleasure and pain- short that, those concepts are not applicable.

2. In the absence of legitimate ego-based drives and motivation, the only reference we have for anything we could call a plant's desires is the implicit motivation of anthropomorphized evolutionary forces.  In that respect, yes, they do like being cultivated by humans because the seeds of the plants are reserved and propagated.  Corn, for example, is one of the most successful plants on Earth in evolutionary terms, and it's because of human action.  In evolutionary terms, plants have made it very clear that they accept being eaten- in part or in whole- as the cost of procreation.  If they had their own motivations seated in ego (as animals do) with other drives and fears, we could disregard this because ego arguably overrides strict evolutionary motivation, but because they don't, that's all they have and we are doing right by them in the process.

3. If you're enough of an idiot to ignore the first and second consequential points, and really think it's bad to cultivate plants, then you should be a vegan anyway because the raising and killing of animals for food, in turn, kills far more plants than just eating plants directly by an order of magnitude.  There's no way around thermodynamics; cows are not photosynthesizing.  You kill more plants by eating meat than I ever could.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just to reinforce Blake's

Just to reinforce Blake's point, many plants grow parts of themselves, sometimes most of their substance, specifically to attract certain animals/birds to eat them, and later shit out their seeds, as a 'strategy' for spreading themselves, to make up for their own individual immobility.

So 'eating' plants, especially the tastier parts, far from being against the plant's interests, is falling for their 'intention'. Of course, in most cases, we do not treat the seeds in a way that gives any of them a chance of sprouting, so that is the part one might legitimately raise as an issue.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Of course,

BobSpence1 wrote:
Of course, in most cases, we do not treat the seeds in a way that gives any of them a chance of sprouting, so that is the part one might legitimately raise as an issue.

Yeah, but for any plant producing seeds is a numbers game; if enough sprout to continue the species, it's a win.  The fact that farmers reserve enough seed from the stock to plant for the next year is a guaranteed victory for the plant (planting them deliberately is at least as good as shitting them out inadvertently, if not better)... guaranteed, at least, unless people stop eating that particular kind of plant- but desirability as a food item is the definition of evolutionary fitness in the agricultural environment, so it's just a different sort of fitness they have to evolve for instead of those features that would be advantageous in the wild.

To go even further, humans are their best bet to spread to other planets- environments they never would have had access to- so being an agricultural species for humans in that sense is a distinct advantage over being a wild plant.

The same could be said for animal species *if* the moral problem of ego wasn't present.  It can be generally said, though, of pet species such as dogs and cats, even goldfish, who arguably don't have it as rough as agricultural species (so, no ego dilemma).

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:BobSpence1

Blake wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:
Of course, in most cases, we do not treat the seeds in a way that gives any of them a chance of sprouting, so that is the part one might legitimately raise as an issue.

Yeah, but for any plant producing seeds is a numbers game; if enough sprout to continue the species, it's a win.

Which is why I expressed it as not giving any of them a chance to sprout.

And I only conceded that that only 'might' make a case.

Of course, I am fully on board with your argument.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Blake

BobSpence1 wrote:

Blake wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Yeah, but for any plant producing seeds is a numbers game; if enough sprout to continue the species, it's a win.

Are you an omnivore, Bob?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:BobSpence1

mellestad wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Blake wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Are you an omnivore, Bob?

Nominally, in that have no blanket rejection of animal protein.

I eat very little red meat, based to a major degree on reading a while ago of studies showing a correlation between red-meat consumption and some forms of cancer, such as colon cancer. No doubt it also requires some genetic pre-disposition as well, but since that is what basically took out my father (actually it was liver cancer, which the original, operable, colon cancer metastasized into), I cannot ignore it. That and remembering the regular steaks my father ate, pretty much daily.

I will occasionally have regular meat (not steaks so much), especially as part of Indian or Chinese cuisine, as a treat. I have even had salad with kangaroo meat...

I am ok with chicken, fine with fish, especially oily fish (for omega-3's). I am concerned about fish consumption from an ethical point of view, since fishing seems to be unsustainable.

My regular meals are a wide mix of vegies, with a rotation of fish, vegie-protein such as tofu, or egg, for protein, a dowsing of extra-virgin olive oil, a sprinkling of cheese and one of a range of sauces or salad-dressings for flavour. I have been trying chopped fresh lemon-grass lately, and I quite like it. Generally I find fresh seasoning much tastier than the dried or otherwise prepared stuff.

I may supplement it during the day with a sandwich, often toasted, with margarine or avocado, beetroot and/or tomato, onion, cheese, with or without some vege-protein slice.

I have used fresh chopped garlic quite a bit, but I am going easy on that for social reasons - some people I regularly associate with seem sensitive to it.

I have taken lately to cooking my own beetroot.

For sweets I am tempted by peanut butter and honey. I also am weak for the occasional ice-cream indulgence...

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
You should weigh in on one

You should weigh in on one of the morality threads, i'd be interested to see how you justify yourself versus Blake's argument.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:You should

mellestad wrote:

You should weigh in on one of the morality threads, i'd be interested to see how you justify yourself versus Blake's argument.

I am certainly not without qualms on the killing of higher animals for food.

African "bush meat", such as monkeys and chimps, is way too much for me.

I have tried antelope and crocodile at a chain of restaurants in Africa called "Carnivores", but that was mainly for curiosity and novelty.

I did feel a twinge at that 'roo meat, but, again, I was curious, as much as anything.

I can't find it in myself to get excited about the 'rights' of sardines, or mackerel, the main fish I eat.

I do remember a strange feeling, during a SCUBA dive trip, having admired a big Maori wrasse in its natural element during a dive, then seeing it, or its cousin, on the back of the boat after the dive, then eating it for dinner that evening...

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Which is

BobSpence1 wrote:

What I mean is, that by the time we get the seeds, they've already had their chance and got the short straw-- that we effectively pay the farmers to give the overwhelming number of seeds in the harvest a statistical chance of sprouting before they reach us.  We could consider the grocery store to be the social equivalent of already masticated v.s. the field as having gotten lucky and not been crushed; the loss of further chance is just at a different place, but that doesn't negate its original existence.

However, this is not always the case in genetically engineered crops, where the farmers are sometimes forbidden by patent law from sprouting any of the seeds they grow- so from the time the seed germinates, there's almost a 0% chance that any of the seeds that plant produces would ever germinate (unless something gets stuck on the bottom of the tractor and falls off).  This might actually be an ethical argument against GE patents...  now that's an interesting thought.

"GE patents are unethical because they circumvent the plant's right to have a chance at its seeds sprouting."

Wow... that might be a new argument; I've never heard that before.  It *might* even hold up in court if a farmer retained seed to grow on ethical grounds.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Thanks, I know- I just wanted to be thorough.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
It wouldn't hold up in court

It wouldn't hold up in court because plants have no legal rights, therefore the farmer could not claim to be protecting said rights.

If you make that basic assumption though it would be logical.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:mellestad

BobSpence1 wrote:

mellestad wrote:

I have tried antelope and crocodile at a chain of restaurants in Africa called "Carnivores", but that was mainly for curiosity and novelty.

I did feel a twinge at that 'roo meat, but, again, I was curious, as much as anything.

I can't find it in myself to get excited about the 'rights' of sardines, or mackerel, the main fish I eat.

I do remember a strange feeling, during a SCUBA dive trip, having admired a big Maori wrasse in its natural element during a dive, then seeing it, or its cousin, on the back of the boat after the dive, then eating it for dinner that evening...

So do you have a way to justify your behavior within your moral system, or do you just ignore it and or or accept it as willful act of immorality?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well Blake,  Sounds like

Well Blake,

Sounds like you cook pretty munch the way that I do apart from the fact that I use meat.

Pretty much a trip to the store begins with what is on sale and the menu builds on that. Recipes are tools for people who do not know how to cook. That and people who have more money than ambition. Really, it would bug me to have to work from a recipe that called for a certain quantity of a particular ingredient when a perfectly good alternative can be had for considerably less money.

Now, if we are going to toot our respective horns, I will say this: Grandma started dad cooking when he was old enough to stand in front of the stove and he passed the tradition on to me. So I have about forty years of personal experience in the kitchen and directly connected to how people used to cook back when economy really mattered.

Also, for the record, most Americans are way over the top when it comes to using meat. Seriously, three bucks worth of meat will make enough of a casserole to keep me happy for half a week. That and ten bucks worth of other ingredients.

Another thing is that I keep a fairly well stocked pantry of assorted dried goods, stored in old pickle jars (ever seen the price of tupperware?). If you want to try one of my dishes follow this idea:

Take a couple of handfuls of several types of dried beans and soak them overnight. The next day cook until tender. Then add a couple of handfuls of some interesting type of rice (I have a few varieties on hand). Twenty minutes before it is done, add your vegetables and a small can of V8. Great soup.

Those who really have to have meat in everything can feel free to use as much of whatever as they feel the need to but it will be gilding the lily in terms of both taste and nutritional value. But feel free if that is your wont.

As to the farming thing, yes, that brings much evolutionary success. For both plants and animals as it happens. If one wants to save endangered species then make them into food. Cows are in no danger of dying out. American bison were down to several hundred animals forty years ago, now they are a significant portion of the food industry and even gaining in popularity since the meat is so lean.

Also, the free range products are really good. Better taste and better texture. Grain fed beef is not a better product, it is a bill of goods that the beef industry has sold the general population on. The reason it is made at all is because the high density nutrition of pure grain forces the cattle to develop faster than they would were they allowed to walk around and thus can be brought to market for rather less of an investment on the part of the cattle industry.

Actually, the way that grain fed beef is made is really disgusting. The cattle are herded into pens like a couple hundred animals per acre. Along one side of each pen is a troth with a machine that continuously adds grain for them to eat. They spend the last few months of their lives standing in cow shit a foot deep. Hence the reason for all the antibiotics that they are fed. The idea that antibiotics help them to grow is off point. Animals that live through such a gross environment will grow more than ones that die before they are ready for market.  

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:It wouldn't

mellestad wrote:

It wouldn't hold up in court because plants have no legal rights, therefore the farmer could not claim to be protecting said rights.

No, but the farmer does.  So, if he or she doesn't comply on ethical or religious grounds, the court might throw out the suit against him or her.  The GE company, though, could then provide an option to use one's own seed and pay a royalty fee on the amount one used.

BobSpence1 wrote:

So do you have a way to justify your behavior within your moral system, or do you just ignore it and or or accept it as willful act of immorality?

Eating fish, but not more intelligent animals could be consistent given a consistently applied metric of capacity for physical/emotional suffering.

However, the curiosity-driven eating of animals is a bit problematic unless he admits that the act is still immoral/that curiosity doesn't pose as a justification.  That is to say, it'd probably still be immoral for me to kill somebody, even if I did it out of curiosity.

I don't think curiosity can really reasonably be said to change the equation.  Different metrics of value scale based on propensity to suffer, etc. sure... but justifications are usually illogical rationalizations to prevent dissonance.

There is one unrelated matter I know of that *does* seem to change the equation, though, and that is eating invasive species which are damaging the local environment and causing general havoc (provided the commercial drive is actually solving the problem).  That is, if there's another legitimate moral reason to kill an animal, the matter of eating it is morally irrelevant.

See:  http://www.reef.org/lionfish

A moral vegan could arguably be consistent in eating lionfish caught in their invasive region if it were agreed that eliminating them was a moral prerogative, and if creating a commercial demand for their meat was a way to accomplish that.

http://www.reef.org/catalog/cookbook

At a certain point, though, the invasive species is either eliminated or too well established to be eliminated and it becomes part of the native environment, so one must bear in mind that the moral justification doesn't necessarily continue in that light indefinitely.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:mellestad

Blake wrote:

mellestad wrote:

No, but the farmer does.  So, if he or she doesn't comply on ethical or religious grounds, the court might throw out the suit against him or her.  The GE company, though, could then provide an option to use one's own seed and pay a royalty fee on the amount one used.

Yea, but at least in U.S. courts you can't take a position like that when it has no officially recognized status.  For example, I couldn't say that I believed my dog has the right to vote and then assault someone when they tried to remove my dog from the voting booth.

In general, the issue with GE crops is that by buying them the farmer is signing a contract with the patent owner and by doing so they are willfully giving up any rights to that.  A judge would just point out that the farmer didn't *have* to buy the GE crop and sign a contract.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:mellestad

Blake wrote:

mellestad wrote:

I usually like food that's mostly protein, and high in unsaturated fats.  Dense nutrition.  Lettuce is very lame- I usually won't touch it, as it does not qualify as food to me.  If I don't have bread, though, I will use it as a wrap if it's free- to wrap *actual* food in. 

You will rarely ever see me eating anything resembling a typical salad (maybe a couple times a year, if it's free and I don't have anything else to eat).

I eat mostly nuts, seeds, and beans, good bread, and pasta (which are all actual food).  Carrots qualify as good filler, and I'll usually use them shredded, but they don't compose much of my diet.  Fruit-wise I mostly eat tomatoes and peppers.  If I'm going to eat a green vegetable, it will probably be kale, collards, or some kind of spice like basil.

One of my favourite is a tahini and tomato sandwich, with basil leaves, and crushed black pepper and salt, on sourdough bread.  Rye bread is also good, if I have rye flour on hand  (I usually bake fresh sourdough with rosemary).

Hummus is a good go-to food.  Loaded with protein and complex carbohydrates.

Very firm tofu (little to no water in it) fried with hot peppers and soy sauce, with mushrooms, kale, and ginger.

Pasta with carmelized onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes.  Giant pots of chilli and occasional cornbread.

I frequently make lasagna and pizza, making the sauce and crust from scratch, and filling them largely with TVP (which is dense soy protein and fiber), and making a cholesterol free/low saturated fat (high in mono and polyunsaturated fat) cheese from almond meal.  I use a little shredded carrot as filler, and sometimes make a small "green" layer from dark greens like collards.

My vegan friends tend to look at me dubiously, wondering quietly if I've given them something non-vegan.  I'm widely regarded to make the "best pizza/lasagna ever" even by omnivores.

I go through maybe a liter of olive oil a month, a few pounds of almonds and other nuts and seeds, large quantities of flour/pasta, beans, and TVP, and uncanny amounts of tomato.

I'm also a pretty big fan of nutritional yeast, with regards to the nutrient content and taste for the cost; I don't always use it, though, as it's pretty specialty (needs to be bought in bulk).

I'm not big on sweets, but it's not uncommon for me to bake super-dense brownies using peanut butter, molasses, and the most cocoa powder you've ever seen used in a baked good.

I also bake cookies and cakes (usually pineapple coconut), if the need arises, but I don't do so for myself.

All in all, I cook with science and nutritional analysis of foods per cost and taste, and optimize based on that.

I spend $2 - $3 on food a day, I eat more and better than pretty much anybody I know, and I'm not fat.  I can't complain.

Sure, one misses meat and cheese for a while, but it's kind of like smoking- or religion.  The cravings go away, you stop wanting it, and eventually you don't need it anymore and it becomes apparent how irrational it is, and in many cases it's even distasteful after long enough.  One just has to make it over the hump starting off.  Taste is largely relative- don't eat much sugar, things taste sweeter, etc.  Just takes a little time to adjust.

Now I'm curious; most of the vegans I know in person are atheists- any other vegans or vegetarians on RRS?.

Overwhelmingly Vegetarian here!  Like 95%+! I LOVE Vegan/Vegetarian food!! It's the greatest!  Blake, that sounds FANTASTIC! Can you cook dinner for me one day? lol

I heard it's pretty difficult to get vegetarian food in China unless you go to a Buddhist temple or Buddhist restaurant.  My uncle went there and that's what he said. Is that what you've found or have you found some places that are good for vegetarians?

It must be even more difficult to get Vegan food in public in China?

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:smartypants

Blake wrote:

smartypants wrote:

That may sound like a new and clever joke to you, but I've heard it about a thousand times, so it's really pretty lame by now.

In the off chance that what you said isn't a fail joke, and you're really that big of an idiot (I've really only heard this argument from complete morons, but just to be safe):

1. Plants have no conscious ambitions or pain.  Don't even try to cite studies that show they feel pain; they have chemical reactions to stimuli which have direct physiological effects (much like somebody who is brain dead does due to the autonomic nervous system), but these can not be accurately described as pain because the plants aren't reactively motive (they are unable to run around avoiding pain, or seek out food in the sense of an animal), anything resembling an active intelligence and self-awareness required to execute that ego-based response is superfluous, and evolutionary baggage that would be impossible to sustain. They don't need the kind of consciousness intelligent moving animals have, so they don't have it.  The same can probably be said for sedentary animals such as sponges.  Complex avoidant behavior necessitates some sense of ego, which involves the dynamics of pleasure and pain- short that, those concepts are not applicable.

2. In the absence of legitimate ego-based drives and motivation, the only reference we have for anything we could call a plant's desires is the implicit motivation of anthropomorphized evolutionary forces.  In that respect, yes, they do like being cultivated by humans because the seeds of the plants are reserved and propagated.  Corn, for example, is one of the most successful plants on Earth in evolutionary terms, and it's because of human action.  In evolutionary terms, plants have made it very clear that they accept being eaten- in part or in whole- as the cost of procreation.  If they had their own motivations seated in ego (as animals do) with other drives and fears, we could disregard this because ego arguably overrides strict evolutionary motivation, but because they don't, that's all they have and we are doing right by them in the process.

3. If you're enough of an idiot to ignore the first and second consequential points, and really think it's bad to cultivate plants, then you should be a vegan anyway because the raising and killing of animals for food, in turn, kills far more plants than just eating plants directly by an order of magnitude.  There's no way around thermodynamics; cows are not photosynthesizing.  You kill more plants by eating meat than I ever could.

GREAT answer Blake! You are 100% correct!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
Really, it would bug me to have to work from a recipe that called for a certain quantity of a particular ingredient when a perfectly good alternative can be had for considerably less money.

Yes, that is really irritating.  I'm often correcting people on their strict adherence to recipes.  "Why are you adding that?  It's crazy expensive and you won't even taste it." "Because it says..."

Take a couple of handfuls of several types of dried beans and soak them overnight. The next day cook until tender. Then add a couple of handfuls of some interesting type of rice (I have a few varieties on hand). Twenty minutes before it is done, add your vegetables and a small can of V8. Great soup.

V8 is a good soup base, but it's usually pretty over-priced.  If you have a juicer (or even a blender) a cheaper method is buying condensed tomato paste, some sticks of celery and carrots (which amounts to the main ingredients of V8); it can make quite a bit more for a fraction of the cost.  Maybe add a bit of onion and some spice while at it.

Off brand vegetable juice is more reasonable, though- particularly the big cans.  If those are on sale I'll snap them up pretty quickly.

As to the farming thing, yes, that brings much evolutionary success. For both plants and animals as it happens. If one wants to save endangered species then make them into food.

Save... or damn, depending on your perspective.  It definitely does grant evolutionary success, but at a price to the individual animals involved. 

While an ecosystem may have some inherent value due to the individuals' lives it sustains (so we can argue against invasive species to prevent ecosystem crashes), biodiversity in itself does not have such a great value (it's primarily aesthetic, personal preference).  Why do we need pandas?  Well, we don't really.  We want pandas.

In that sense, lacking any other inherent value to the species itself (the information may be valuable, but we can easily store that as DNA), we have to ask which is more important- implicit evolutionary desire for success, or explicit and tangible desires and sensations of the individual.

In the case of plants, where there are no real individual desires for lack of ego, then it's a no-brainer.  It doesn't matter what conditions we sustain them in, because they don't care.

In animals, if we make the argument that implicit evolutionary success is more important than explicit suffering, then there are various uncomfortable moral conclusions we must also make about humanity-- that is, that all of humanity should be brutally enslaved to the directive of terraforming and proliferating life across other planets with no considerations beyond the optimization of pursuit of that goal.

I'm going to assume that you probably wouldn't make that argument- but if you do, then I'll admit that you're fully consistent in advocating the evolutionary goals of animals over the tangible sensory ones.

If we accept that sensory goals are more important, then in animals the issue becomes complicated by the conditions the animal suffers, or enjoys.

Only when the conditions are decidedly better along every meaningful metric than they would be in the wild does it become trivially good for the animals to sustain their populations in captivity (every meaningful metric- from stress to entertainment to longevity to even self actualization [or what have they]).  Outside of some rarely well funded zoos and pets, there are no instances of this I know of. 

Otherwise, it's arguably better to let them die off, and allow other animals to take their places (whatever ultimately ends up filling that open environment)- animals suffering or enjoying natural conditions potentially better than the captive ones; the matter of which species of animal is irrelevant to the metric of suffering.

Some vegans would make the argument that we shouldn't keep any animals at all, even if the conditions are better than in the wild.  To that I would say that if it doesn't make any difference to the animals (or if it's better), then saying it's a moral negative is saying that eliminating wild animals should be a moral prerogative (oblivion > natural level of suffering).  Inconsistency.

Anyway, this is important:

Also, the free range products are really good. Better taste and better texture. Grain fed beef is not a better product, it is a bill of goods that the beef industry has sold the general population on.

There is a profound moral difference in proper free-range meat (it isn't always, to have the label the requirements are pretty hazy) and grain-fed box-captive meat- as well as a difference in efficiency (considering the waste of grain) and the health value of the meat.

One would still be quite hard pressed to say that the conditions are better than those in the wild, though; a side-by-side analysis of all relevant metrics would have the be considered, lifespan being the most crucial of those with regards to any agricultural initiative.

Short that, it's still unethical to eat free-ranged meat, even if it saves a species-- though substantially *less* unethical than eating grain fed meat. 

Unless, of course, you go with the evolutionary prerogative, in which case it's unethical that you aren't slaving away on a diet of nutrient gruel to manifacture space probes. Eye-wink

You might be able to contrive a mixture of the two imperatives, although I'm not sure how that would play out in practice.  It's something to think about.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Overwhelmingly Vegetarian here!  Like 95%+! I LOVE Vegan/Vegetarian food!! It's the greatest!  Blake, that sounds FANTASTIC! Can you cook dinner for me one day? lol

I heard it's pretty difficult to get vegetarian food in China unless you go to a Buddhist temple or Buddhist restaurant.  My uncle went there and that's what he said. Is that what you've found or have you found some places that are good for vegetarians?

It must be even more difficult to get Vegan food in public in China?

Vegetarian food is very easy to get in China, at least in the cities I've visited.  Like many countries, meat is expensive and isn't a staple.

Vegan food is a bit more problematic, but to be honest that isn't something I've paid much attention to.  Eggs are used quite a bit, but other than that I think it would be fine...dairy isn't a big staple in general and the oils are usually plant based.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

That's great Smiling

Sure, what country do you live in?  I can try to remember to message you if I'm in the neighborhood.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Vegetarian restaurants are pretty common in the big cities, but otherwise, it's difficult to order something on the menu in most restaurants (so, for people who have no ability to think outside the box, it could be a problem).  However, if you speak Chinese, or can pantomime well, it's not a problem at all.  I don't speak much Chinese (enough to get myself into trouble, but not enough to get out again), but I can draw anything, so if I have a paper and pencil I can illustrate an explanation of almost anything to anybody speaking any language; it's a useful skill.

The best place to eat out in China (as far as the average restaurant) is a hot-pot restaurant (those are quite common).  Basically, they give you a big boiling pot of broth, and you point to raw vegetables, tofu, mushrooms, noodles, etc. and they bring them to you on a plate (washed) and you can cook them yourself.  They usually give you sesame oil with cilantro and some other spices to dip in, which is nice.

I don't know what's in the broth (probably chicken), so I just get water instead- I know how to ask, but I can't write it (I'd butcher the pinyin); with distinctly bad grammar, is sounds kind of like "z-eye ruh schway woh boo yao way dow- woh yao yen [count on your finger one], schway [count on your finger two], may yo way dow [wave your hands back and fourth to gesture no]"  if you said that and pantomimed a pot they *might* understand.  Basically, asking for salt and water with no flavour.  If I spoke a bit more Chinese I could ask for the spices, but plain water instead of broth.

That said, it's entirely unnecessary to pantomime or speak any Chinese in any large city, because there will be another patron at the restaurant who will speak some English and will be happy to translate for you if you try to speak English to the waitress and seem to be having difficulty (in Shanghai it seems to take between 10 and 30 seconds of speaking English to somebody who doesn't understand for another person who does to come over and translate unless there's nobody else around- and any nicer restaurant has staff that speak some English anyway).

I'd say China is one of the best countries in the world to be vegan in, simply because they have the best vegetables and tofu of anywhere in the world (great variety, fresh, and very cheap).  Since I cook for myself most of the time, eating in public is mostly not an issue for me, though there are vendors along the street selling fresh fruit on sticks in most places.  There are only a couple things I like to eat that are hard to find in China (I can't, for example, find molasses anywhere- only brown sugar, which is generally too sweet for my tastes).

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Vegetarian

mellestad wrote:

Vegetarian food is very easy to get in China, at least in the cities I've visited.  Like many countries, meat is expensive and isn't a staple.

They don't use much meat, but they *do* make liberal use of broth and teeny tiny pieces cut up and used as if it were a seasoning.  So that's something that has to be explained if you don't want vegetables that taste a little like meat or have little particles mixed in (it won't be listed in the menu, as to what has meat taste and what doesn't generally, so it's like roulette).

Most vegetarians aren't keen on the particles of meat, although it's not like such trivial amounts have very much effect on the bottom line.  A month of vegetables might add up to a hamburger.

It's the same deal in the Southwest of the states- vegetables there often have tiny pieces of bacon or ham ground up and mixed up in them, and are frequently cooked with chicken broth (without any of that being listed in the menu). 

If you didn't care about it, you wouldn't notice the one in three times it happened, but when you do it can be daunting if you have some kind of psychological aversion to asking the waiter questions.  There are some vegetarians who are very introverted and have serious issues with that kind of thing (and then when they get it, they can't pipe up to send it back, so they just hide it in a napkin to make like they ate it and then go hungry- those people are... I can't find the words).

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
hmm, interesting.  I'll

hmm, interesting.  I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm over there!

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:BobSpence1

mellestad wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

mellestad wrote:

There are a number of issues here.

One, somewhat as Blake said, I see a gradation in terms of the apparent level of emotional experience and self-awareness. Not really pinned down, but I am pretty sure you know what I mean.

As I said, I could not contemplate consciously eating primates of pretty much any kind. Or dog. Or elephant.

I don't see morality as necessarily a black-and-white thing.

Two, on a more technical issue, in no case where I have eaten animals have I killed them myself, or personally endorsed whoever did kill them.

The eating of meat, itself, is not the issue, in a moral sense.

Encouraging and approving the killing of the meat animals would be a moral issue. I am only doing that to the extent that I buy meat in some form, and I do very little of that.

Three, breeding and raising of animals specifically for food is more problematic. If they had a reasonable approximation to a 'natural' life, and were killed painlessly at a mature age, I may not have that much of a moral issue.

With an individual mature animal killed quickly in the wild, as with that fish on the dive trip, probably even less of a problem, since it has had a real life. I never could contemplate the idea of personally spearing fish, even though most people who went diving or snorkeling, or were familiar with the activity, seemed to assume that was one of the prime things one did it for. I  have difficulty with the idea of gratuitously killing even simple creatures, unless they are potentially harmful in some way. Once it is dead, the issue is different.

Flies and mosquitoes I am quite happy to zap with my string of rubber bands. Being so annoying AND simple gets past my threshhold.

Mass harvesting of wild animals is problematic both from the PoV of indiscriminate killing, and of likely unsustainability.

I don't really try to 'justify' the degree to which I may have contributed to encouraging the killing of animals, by buying some Indian or Oriental meal, I accept it as part of the reality of living, where many things we do regularly could be argued to have some negative ethical implications.

You could argue that my willingness to accept as food a lower animal killed by someone else, despite my personal unwillingness to kill one myself is to an extent hypocritical.

But they are two different things, to me. One is a practical rationalization, the other is a gut repugnance, based on empathy, I guess.

EDIT: I just remembered a slight 'ewww' response when seeing freshly collected sea-scallops (shell-fish) being dropped onto a barbecue plate...

They were very tasty though.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Interesting, thanks for the

Interesting, thanks for the elaboration.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I also recall mixed feelings

I also recall mixed feelings when I heard a rat-trap I had set in my ceiling go off, especially the uncomfortably prolonged period of thrashing that followed.

The worry of electrical wiring being chewed on, not to mention the pattering of tiny feet overhead, had bugged me.

Setting traps and poison around for mice is a slight discomfort for me, but they are dirtying and damaging my stuff, so it is another trade-off.

In terms of direct killing, I think my threshhold is somewhere around the level of cockroaches.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I guess my overall question

I guess my overall question though is how much value you put on your moral system being coherent...from what you've written that doesn't seem to be the case, rather you seem to use empathy based intuition, at least when it comes to food.

Do you just accept that your morality regarding animal treatment is incoherent, or is it just something you don't focus your intellect on, or have you justified it in a novel way so you don't feel as much dissonance, or something else entirely?

In my apparantly frequent discussions about this with Blake I'm always upside down in the discussion and I'm wondering how you cope, or don't cope.  Atheist Extremist seems to have views similar to yours and I hope he chimes in more some time.

Personally, over the last couple of months I went from thinking I had a somewhat coherent moral system to realizing I had no coherent moral system, to thinking a coherent moral system isn't possible, to thinking a coherent moral system isn't worth the effort it would cost.  The last opinion seems like an obvious case of rationalizing dissonance away though so I don't really trust it.  Other than that, every time I come up with some new way to look at it it gets holes shot through it, either by myself or someone else.

I can't seem to let it go, because giving up on a concept that directly applies to daily life seems to cause more dissonance than I'm able to ignore, so it pops up over and over.  Naturally, I'm fishing for someone smarter than me to justify my currently unjustified behavior in a way sufficient to set my mind at ease.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I really wasn't trying to

I really wasn't trying to restart the morality thread though, lol.  I just thought it would be fun to try something new in the kitchen, since I do most of the cooking.

Although I am...99% sure my subconscious had an ulterior motive.  I'm at the point now where I'm looking for easy solutions.  I can't see it happening though, because the implications of an empathy and pain based moral system are ridiculously vast.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am happy to base my moral

I am happy to base my moral system on maximizing well-being and personal and societal health, and minimizing harm and unnecessary distress and suffering.

The "Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you" kind of rule, is also a pretty good guide.

The empathy comes in with my 'gut reactions', my conscious moral thoughts are based on my best estimate of likely pain and suffering to the creature concerned. Two different but associated things.

Empathy drives inherent preferred responses, which would then be the starting point of the formulation of moral rules, which then entered the realm of conscious debate.

BTW, I see empathy as separate from intuition.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 OK, way too much to

OK, way too much to respond to in a single post. I have a couple of comments before getting onto business though.

First, I find that most Americans have some weird addiction to meat. I don't really follow that. Meat is food. Meat is probably more calorically dense than other foods but I fail to see why that matters.

Give me half a liter of hummus, a handful of pita bread and some green tea. I call that lunch.

It tastes good, it fills me up and it keeps me full all day long. While I do eat meat, I fail to see how meat is superior to other foods.

Second, I find that most Americans can't seem to deal with stuff that lacks spices.

In all honesty, I know a guy who never uses any spices at all. By his own admission, he does not understand them so he never goes there. Well, he combines different vegetables and sometimes meats in ways that are good. I am happy to eat his cooking.

If the underlying food is quite nice, then spices can be interesting. If the underlying food is not so good, well the spices are only there to cover the matter up. Personally, I would rather eat non-spiced food that happens to be good that bad food that is spiced up.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pea sprout grows in man's lung

BobSpence1 wrote:

Blake wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Life is tough and determined

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HD6JEVmVRI

My wife is entirely vegan. I get pretty close.

We just went to a great vegan restaurant today in D.C. called Cafe Green. It felt sinful. I had the cheeseburger, she had the steak and cheese. Really excellent and entirely vegan. I started being vegan in 1977. The taste of vegan food has come a long way.

http://www.javagreen.net/

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:One,

BobSpence1 wrote:

One, somewhat as Blake said, I see a gradation in terms of the apparent level of emotional experience and self-awareness. Not really pinned down, but I am pretty sure you know what I mean.[...]

Flies and mosquitoes I am quite happy to zap with my string of rubber bands. Being so annoying AND simple gets past my threshhold.[...]

Setting traps and poison around for mice is a slight discomfort for me, but they are dirtying and damaging my stuff, so it is another trade-off.

In terms of direct killing, I think my threshhold is somewhere around the level of cockroaches.

I'm on board with all of this; it's mostly simple math from the standpoint of suffering (once a more objective metric is established.

It's true that without extensive neuroscience, we can't be exact, but we can estimate.

The pain these insects would cause me: 500
The implicit existential suffering they experience from lack of fulfilled goals: 3?
The direct suffering they experience from being smashed: 6?

500 > 3 + 6

The moral solution is to kill them to defend personal life unless one has another solution (like taking them "outside" ) .

However, these alternatives impose the insects on another person, so the only place to really "take" them is very, very far away, which is problematic from an efficiency standpoint.

Lets say I spend 20 effort to prevent 9 suffering.  That same 20 effort could be redirected in other ways- such as volunteering at an animal shelter, to prevent 900 suffering in other species with a greater capacity for suffering.

Moral arithmetic requires a metric which is dependent on objective reasoning with regards to capacity to suffer (we shouldn't unduly under-estimate because a particular animal tastes good).

The only major element of subjectivity that comes in is with the normal distribution of the curve we use.  Does significance and capacity for suffering fall of sharply or gradually?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Normal_Distribution_PDF.svg

That is to ask: are we dealing with the blue curve, the red curve, the yellow curve?

None the less, things of equal measure can't be differentiated no matter how you view the relative or exponential importance of capacity for suffering (a pig is still going to be in the same neighborhood as a dog or even a child no matter how you draw the curve).

The most important thing for consistency is treating like animals similarly.  That is, either being a bastard and condoning dog and baby BBQs, or laying off the pork.

BobSpence1 wrote:

Two, on a more technical issue, in no case where I have eaten animals have I killed them myself, or personally endorsed whoever did kill them.
[...]
Encouraging and approving the killing of the meat animals would be a moral issue. I am only doing that to the extent that I buy meat in some form, and I do very little of that.[...]

There is something to be said for Freeganism with regards to meat consumption- in that it legitimately is morally identical to veganism provided it is practiced objectively.

Even accepting meat as a gift, though, creates an opportunity cost of who else that meat would have otherwise fed- a person who will likely not be content to go without, but will acquire other meat.

Really analyzing the consequences of accepting and eating meat extends endorsement and cause far beyond mere commercial purchases.

Even in the case of meat that we may find "in the dumpster", the question would be posed as to whether this meat could or could not be reasonably (with an amount of effort that would not overwhelm the moral significance) given to another to offset other meat which is driving the commercial demand for the raising and killing of animals.  It can probably be given to a homeless person, if one can be found, but they eat out of the trash anyway- so that isn't necessarily better than eating it oneself- or it could be given to a pet dog or cat, if one could be found, offsetting commercial dog or cat food.

BobSpence1 wrote:

I never could contemplate the idea of personally spearing fish, even though most people who went diving or snorkeling, or were familiar with the activity, seemed to assume that was one of the prime things one did it for. I  have difficulty with the idea of gratuitously killing even simple creatures, unless they are potentially harmful in some way. Once it is dead, the issue is different.

Yes, but unless those people were literally going to throw that meat away, you are fractionally personally responsible for the death of that fish (no less than had you been the one to kill it, to share with others), because by not eating it, the fish would have lasted a little bit longer-- and over a year, perhaps, one or two fewer fish would have been killed.

We can't ignore such immediate, although indirect, moral consequences to actions.

BobSpence1 wrote:

I don't really try to 'justify' the degree to which I may have contributed to encouraging the killing of animals, by buying some Indian or Oriental meal, I accept it as part of the reality of living, where many things we do regularly could be argued to have some negative ethical implications.

But it isn't really a reality of living- there are many people who forgo this to only the slightest measure of inconvenience.

When considering the moral use of inconveniencing ourselves, we should consider the opportunity cost.  How inconvenienced are you, really, and what could you have otherwise done with that effort?  Would the actions you would otherwise engage in offset the moral harm of the convenient action?  And quite importantly, are you engaging in those actions to a greater degree than you already would have in order to atone for the unethical action?

All important things to consider.

If one would have to spend a hundred dollars on procuring a relatively suffering-free meal in a certain situation, as compared with $3 for an oriental dish, what is that $97 being used for to reduce suffering elsewhere to compensate for the suffering caused in production of the oriental meal?

If the suffering caused to the pig, divided by the number of oriental meals made, is 60,000 and donating that $97 to a cause such as the humane society or even PETA averts only 50,000 suffering, it's still untenable.  If that donation, though, averts 70.000 suffering, then the moral course is clearly tenable.

If you're paying the savings from that convenience directly into a moral cause, and if that moral cause is averting more suffering than the convenience caused, then you're scot-free.  I'm hard pressed to imagine very many realistic scenarios in which that would occur, however.

BobSpence1 wrote:

You could argue that my willingness to accept as food a lower animal killed by someone else, despite my personal unwillingness to kill one myself is to an extent hypocritical.

But they are two different things, to me. One is a practical rationalization, the other is a gut repugnance, based on empathy, I guess.

I don't think it even needs to be argued, unless your practical behavior conforms to the scenario I outlined above.

I would argue that rationalization is perhaps the greatest enemy of morality along with unreality; we can rationalize anything we want, and thereby see otherwise good people do bad deeds.  Rationalization, being a "get out of morality free" card, could be argued in a sense to be one of the roots of an objective evil. 

That is, no matter the perspective or moral metric, rationalization subverts that, placing it in the position of evil in any situation- ergo objective evil, despite any degree of argued subjectivity to morality.

In being moral human beings, I think our first prerogative should be identifying and eliminating such poor rationalizations.  I don't think it [rationalization] is something to be so casually accepted, or waved off as trivial when it amounts to a moral cancer.

BobSpence1 wrote:

I am happy to base my moral system on maximizing well-being and personal and societal health, and minimizing harm and unnecessary distress and suffering.

I think you're in the same place I am, regarding perspective and understanding of the axioms- you just seem to let yourself rationalize away certain actions more frequently (perhaps out of habit).

I'm not perfect; I get into rationalizing now and then- but when I notice it I have to kick myself, and if somebody points it out I am ashamed to have done it-- I see rationalization as one of the greatest character flaws to be eliminated if we are to aspire to express our own values, and be genuine to ourselves.

Morality can be held to the same high standards of science, and it becomes all the more genuine for it.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:[...]to

mellestad wrote:
[...]to thinking a coherent moral system isn't worth the effort it would cost.  The last opinion seems like an obvious case of rationalizing dissonance away though so I don't really trust it. [...] Naturally, I'm fishing for someone smarter than me to justify my currently unjustified behavior in a way sufficient to set my mind at ease.

There are plenty justifications out there- like the social contract- but none I'm aware of that do not also justify eating babies, slaves, etc. You could argue that you do not prefer the taste of babies, and so arbitrarily do not eat them, though you would have to accept others who do eat them.

Of course, social contract is amoral in itself, so even that doesn't solve it if your ambition is to be a moral person (it's just a default rational foundation- one we can build morality on top of).

It should be made resoundingly clear there's nothing inherent in logic that says you can't choose to be amoral, or even outright anti-moral [maximize suffering or sabotage evolutionary purpose without any personal gain] if you want to define yourself as such.  This is a matter of your choice of existential self-definition. 

You could define yourself as somebody out to destroy society and eliminate all life... well, nothing I know of in logic prohibits that.  It would even be logical to kill yourself last after you achieved your goals, and even to abstain temporarily from killing others who share your goals to reach your end.

I suggest you read a little on utilitarianism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilitarianism

That is, given a moral axiom (generally founded in net experience of others), execute rationally ideal means to this end.  This is the principle from which most of my examples implicitly arise, although I have covered other ground as well to be thorough.

You might even want to read something by Peter Singer- although such writers are less likely than I am to express the complexity involved in the axioms themselves (they tend to jump right into application, taking the axioms as self evident without discussing alternatives).

As for me, I know of only two coherent moral sources:  Evolutionary purpose, and maximizing Ego (pain, pleasure, suffering).

In the former (evolutinary purpose), you would be prohibited from eating anything that wasn't super-efficient nutrient gruel (probably made from algae) and focusing 100% of your waking time on building probes to spread life across the universe.  This has a pretty dubious link to the word itself, but is viable due to the expression of implicit purpose in the course of evolution.

In the latter, you can actually consider yourself as a being that also experiences pleasure and pain (if you are inclined to subscribe to consequentialist approach, which is the most rational one as compared to alternatives like deontology- I'm happy to discuss that though), and you can justify having an enjoyable life without harming others. 

Depending on how you normalize the curve, this might allow you to eat things like insects, fish, and other organisms that may not experience pain as acutely as we do (they do experience pain, but it may not be as lasting, they may experience less emotional distress, and may not have as many ambitions to sabotage)-- providing you are consistent in your application.  That is, it wouldn't let you eat pigs without "eating" children; and probably would not allow you even to eat fish and lobsters without "eating" babies (brain not fully developed for several months; reactions are very rudimentary, as crustaceans). 
So, really, you'd just have to pay a bit more heed to the pain that your dietary components experienced, and be consistent in your selection of foods and other behaviors.  In that, you'd just have to stay updated on the neuroscience, and make your best, most objective estimates (not underestimating something because you want to eat it, or overestimating something because it's "cute" ) .

You would need to consider rational, Epicurean principles in practice, though, which would involve a constant state of gradual improvement until it reached a point of diminishing returns.  That is, you could be expected to taper yourself off most meats without experiencing any unpleasant withdrawal (by doing it gradually) and adjusting to a new baseline which is every bit as pleasurable as before (the crucial rational point of Epicureanism)-- or even expected to rip the bandage off quickly and suffer the brief (but quickly subsiding) pain in exchange for the long term advantages.  The end, logically, is effectively vegetarianism (or very close to it) in either case.

Of course, don't forget the options of freeganism, and eating the Lion fish as I explained a few posts above.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Couldn't you justify humans

Couldn't you justify humans as a special case because of the suffering caused by our own empathy?  For example, eating babies would probably create a large amount of pain in humans, most likely even the average baby eater, where as eating a pig is only going to cause as much pain as the pig suffered while dying?  Maybe by simply valuing emotional distress at a higher ratio than general pain?  You could eat a pig because no-one cares about the pig accept the pig, and as long as the pig had a decent life and didn't, 'see it coming', well, so what?

Essentially, couldn't you use the fact that not many species have the capacity to suffer from non-personal suffering to create a special category for those species, humans in particular?

Then you'd be in a situation where you could only eat babies no-one cared about, say, vat clones babies you grew in your basement for only your use (Assuming you actually had a net benifit in your own emotional balance sheet).

It seems like that might avoid most of the slippery slope type arguments where eating a dog->human meat slave farms.

Or you could extrapolate the likely result of a society that treated humans as sex slaves as being non-optimal and full of pain in a more general sense, since they have the capacity to feel that misery but a cow in a well kept feedlot might be perfectly content, or at least as content as any wild creature.

Then perhaps you'd be back in the situation where you can eat meat, but the primary concern is animal quality of life, method of death and overall sustainability.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Couldn't you

mellestad wrote:

Couldn't you justify humans as a special case because of the suffering caused by our own empathy?  For example, eating babies would probably create a large amount of pain in humans, most likely even the average baby eater, where as eating a pig is only going to cause as much pain as the pig suffered while dying?  Maybe by simply valuing emotional distress at a higher ratio than general pain?  You could eat a pig because no-one cares about the pig accept the pig, and as long as the pig had a decent life and didn't, 'see it coming', well, so what?

No.

1. I care about the pig, and other pigs also care about the pig (e.g. mothers, and other familial bonds), and in the case of cows or distinctly herd animals (like humans) they legitimately do care about each other.  Most animals we eat are social animals with empathetic bonds between themselves.  Find an animal without any empathetic bonds, and that nobody cares about, and then you'll beat this one.

2. The baby eater evidently doesn't care enough to not eat the babies- just as there are people who *do* care about pigs, there are people who don't care about that.

3. As long as the baby eater doesn't do so in public and advertise the fact, neither would most other people (out of sight, out of mind).  This is only an argument that, if you can hide it, then it's morally O.K.  You mentioned that briefly, but you didn't go into the consequences:

The same could be used to justify euthanizing vagrants, and those with no family.  Or, if a victim were going to move to another town, killing the victim (during sleep) in the victim's hotel room on the way there, and sending a letter to the new place saying that the victim decided to stay, and sending letters to the relatives saying that the victim is safe and happy.  That is, as long as nobody knows the deed was done (including the victim), it's A-O.K.

Taken to an extreme, this also makes Darth Vader morally justified in blowing up entire planets with the death-star (simultaneously killing everybody who cared about each other), provided he didn't give them much advance notice to fret over it.

What you're missing here is the variable of autonomy/self actualization entirely (hopes, fears, ambitions)- that the pig had plans for what it was going to do the next day (probably no more ambitious than the average American couch potato, but none-the-less), and you interfered with those plans.

Now, it can be argued that there are some organisms with relatively no sense of temporality, regarding future ambitions or aspirations.  Some small animals probably fall into this category (though there are notable exceptions of even thumb-nail sized spiders demonstrated to exhibit planning and ambition).  Young babies (up until around three months) do fall into this category, though- the brain is not fully developed, and while they experience pain, they have no sense of self or future.

mellestad wrote:
Essentially, couldn't you use the fact that not many species have the capacity to suffer from non-personal suffering to create a special category for those species, humans in particular?

Only if you accept all of the implications of that.  However, most animals used as food species are herd animals, so you'd have to kill the entire herd at once.  And also, the point that some humans do care about them.

mellestad wrote:
It seems like that might avoid most of the slippery slope type arguments where eating a dog->human meat slave farms.

While providing an even more frightening one in its place, sure Eye-wink

mellestad wrote:
Then perhaps you'd be back in the situation where you can eat meat, but the primary concern is animal quality of life, method of death and overall sustainability.

Only if one of these is the case:

1. You accept the implications of ignoring the value of self actualization.

2. You paid attention to that value, but only ate animals without any significant sense of temporality or capacity for ambition.

3. You genetically engineered or lobotomized food animals to prevent that sense of temporal consciousness and ambition (this would make them difficult to keep, since they probably wouldn't be able to walk five feet to the feed trough to eat)

4. You killed the animals only at the natural ends of their lives where they wouldn't have otherwise had any more time to exercise ambitions, or killed them at a time when they had greater dread of the future than ambition (e.g. in chronic pain from arthritis and cancer) which amounts to ethical euthanasia.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Mellestad, you may find this

Mellestad, you may find this interesting:

http://veganbookclub.wordpress.com/2007/07/04/disavowing-peter-singer/

It's a short summary of the arguments around animal rights (from within the movement), and of course a good demonstration of how people are idiots ('inherent' animal rights are arbitrary deontological nonsense, and utilitarianism does not allow for the oppression of minorities as they claim if one takes into account the Epicurean capacity for flexible interests- a failure to do so being irrational and unrealistic). 

It's kind of a shame that the people writing these books are mostly following absurdly arbitrary premises and are incapable of using basic powers of reasoning in understanding subjects they don't agree with.  It's that kind of dogmatic deontological absurdity that's causing problems today (like impressionable kids firebombing research labs- terrorism has no utility, people).

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
 personally I have no

personally I have no issues eating animals, and I have eaten a range of animals, even seafood although I have sworn off seafood due to allergic reactions so far to all of them that I have tasted (just upset stomach and pain for 3 hours and then a pukefest Laughing out loud ). However for me, i simply view it as it is, we are predators that consume animals, fruits and vegetables, beyond that it's just human fancy to believe that animals should be beyond human consumption. I personally do not like hunting for sport, if you are hunting eat what you kill. As well unfortunately, we are over populated to run free range animals for our consumption, and to have non commercial farms to feed our growing population. However some of us are lucky enough to be able to consume free range chickens, cows and pigs that have 50 to 100 acres to roam. (my family owns a ranch in Argentina as well as a winery....hmmmm wine ) from which the meat gets sent to a butcher in toronto. But the reality is we are predators that consume animals, to believe animals are some how beyond human consumption by making up ideas of equal rights and that they are some how equal to humans I find it very funny. But i don't believe animals should be tortured either, or caged in too small pens/cages for their entire lives, there should be some respect for the animal that your going to consume. 

As well use as much of the animal as possible, I do not like personally just killing an animal for part of it, like sharks for their fins, or bears for certain parts like gall bladders, if your going to kill an animal use as much as you can, it's ok to consume as much as possible. 

Damn it I think this got wordy....still kinda in a haze from last night. Happy new year everyone.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

While I do eat meat, I fail to see how meat is superior to other foods.

Which amounts to the greatest force of argument for vegetarianism.  If it isn't superior in nutrition, taste, or fullness, is ethically dubious, and environmentally problematic, why eat it?

If the underlying food is quite nice, then spices can be interesting. If the underlying food is not so good, well the spices are only there to cover the matter up. Personally, I would rather eat non-spiced food that happens to be good that bad food that is spiced up.

I use spices largely for variety.  In China it's largely unnecessary because the vegetable are so good (generally more flavourful); a quick mix of three or four, and I don't usually want anything covering up the flavour.  Usually just a bit of salt is great.  I generally won't even touch MSG in cooking because I consider it cheating.

ex-minister wrote:
My wife is entirely vegan. I get pretty close.

We just went to a great vegan restaurant today in D.C. called Cafe Green. It felt sinful. I had the cheeseburger, she had the steak and cheese. Really excellent and entirely vegan. I started being vegan in 1977. The taste of vegan food has come a long way.

That's awesome.  It's amazing how clever cooking can manage almost any flavour and texture profile with the right combinations of elemental tastes.

latincanuck wrote:
[Strawman argument, naked assertions, and is-ought fallacies]

It seems you haven't read any of my posts.  Maybe try again after reading?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:latincanuck

Blake wrote:

latincanuck wrote:
[Strawman argument, naked assertions, and is-ought fallacies]

It seems you haven't read any of my posts.  Maybe try again after reading?

who says I was addressing you specifically, I stated it as a general statement to those that make those silly assumption and views that animals are not to be consumed by humans because they are equal to humans, and as well as my personal views, I never addressed you directly, if i was i would have mentioned one of your posts or you directly, which I didn't. The whole animal rights o vegan culture has a wide range of folks, from those that hold religious views to those that believe animals are equal to humans or that we are not actual predators. My personal take on is that we are predators, simple as that.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
If I provisionally agreed

If I provisionally agreed with what you're saying, then the moral cost of eating a cleanly killed cow is pretty low in any case, at least unless you can show a lasting trauma.  Anecdotally, I've seen too many herd animals killed, and the response of the herd is fairly minimal even when the act is brutal, much less a 'humane' slaughter program where cows calmly shuffle to their deaths with no large amount of concern.  The response of a parent animal even is a very short term thing, something that you might categorize as distress rather than outright agony.  Again, anecdotally, I've seen mother cows have their calves taken away, bellowing, and 30 minutes later they show no change in baseline behavior.  That doesn't prove anything though, as I'm not sure how you would objectively measure that in a non-communicating species.  Brain scanning of some sort I suppose.

You talked before about assigning a moral cost based on pain, and that would follow here too, right?

Most of your examples also ignored my potential point about the cost to a society of behaving in that way.  For example, a universe where Darth Vader nukes planets is likely to be a pretty horrible one, and the reality of that decision and the impact of it happening in a vacuum (haha, get it, it is a planet in space) is unlikely.  I imagine you might have ignored it because you thought it was not a worthwhile point, as the case may be.

This might be a sort of reverse slippery slope argument, but since the basis of this entire discussion always ends up being about carrying moral systems to absurdity I have no problem bringing it up.

I'd also be interested if you could show a pig is self actualized enough to be conscious of 'tomorrow', or how you would define ambition.  Maybe they are, I'm not arguing, just curious.

The main flaw I see is your point about people like you being empathetically impacted by the death of a pig.  If that is the case (I'll take your word for it, since it doesn't bother me, even if I did it myself), then that would be a very valid point within that moral framework.  Then it would just be a matter of calculating the weight of pleasure and pain...which I imagine would fall against my argument, because the act wouldn't bring enough pleasure to overcome much.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Latincanuck,Wow, I was

Latincanuck,

Wow, I was trying to be nice and give you a chance not to be an idiot here.  You could have reviewed your argument, or did ten seconds of research or even just a bit of skimming, but you haven't.

You have no idea what the arguments for veganism actually are.  How about being passingly familiar with a subject before commenting on it?

You're still making straw men, naked assertions, and is-ought fallacies.

Let me break it down for you:

Quote:
[vegans say] that we are not actual predators. My personal take on is that we are predators, simple as that.

That's not an opinion, it's a fact that many humans have practiced predation, and even mentioning it in this context is a logical fallacy- the is-ought fallacy.

Humans evolved as omnivores (and so are most 'herbivores' if push comes to shove), and nobody here has claimed otherwise (and only a profoundly small number of vegans ever claim such- it is a straw-man argument to suggest that this is a vegan claim because it simply is not any significant part of any coherent vegan argument; you list it as though it's a crucial part of some triad- vegans as a whole fully acknowledge science in this respect).

Being an omnivore means the capacity to eat meat, vegetables, or a combination thereof.

Eating meat IS natural- and that's where you're making a terrible and foolish is-ought fallacy.  Just because we have eaten meat, or we can eat meat, doesn't make it appropriate in the modern era or mean that we should do so.

Do you want to know what's also perfectly natural?  F*cking RAPE

Rape is the evolutionary purpose of most penis forms (penises are not necessary for sexual intercourse in most cases, only for forceful sexual intercourse- they have been lost and re-evolved many times to that end).  Our closest relatives found in great apes (Chimps, and Orangutans especially [who copulate primarily by rape]) are also natural rapists.  We are naturally rapists.  You are a rapist- that's what you are, it's evolution, don't deny it!  Go forth, and rape!  If you're not raping you're just silly!

Throughout human history, men taking women and forcing themselves upon them has been condoned, and in many cultures it's perfectly normal (much like eating meat- natural, historically condoned, and still a popular pastime particularly among those with more medieval mentality Sticking out tongue ).  Only since the development of the modern social ethics in which women have finally been included (in the past couple centuries) has that begun to change, and it's due to modern morality.  It's due to thinking about the issues at hand instead of justifying actions based on tradition.

By your reasoning, you have NO room to criticize rapists without being a f*cking hypocrite... because you're a natural rapist yourself.

OR we could make the silly assumption that just because something is that way, doesn't mean it should be that way, and actually use our brains and logical argument to try to find a better way to behave beyond our base instincts.  But who would do a silly thing like that?  Apparently not you... no, you're just too smart to fall for something crazy like moral philosophy.

latincanuck wrote:
I stated it as a general statement to those that make those silly assumption and views that animals are not to be consumed by humans because they are equal to humans

Straw man #2!  Nobody is saying that aside from ignorant meat-heads making straw-men arguments.

The argument is not that all species of animals are equal, but that morality involves giving consideration to others, and the line of species is arbitrary (which is supported even by people like Dawkins, who will admit it with some seeming discomfort/dissonance).  The line of species being arbitrary means we can't discount the suffering of other species- to the extent they possess the capacity to suffer- just because they aren't human anymore than we can discount the suffering of other humans just because they aren't part of our lineage.

Not biasing our moral consideration arbitrarily, or with the help of rationalizations, is not the same as claiming all animals are equal.  Even the deontological claim of inherent animal rights doesn't go that far- it just asks for equal consideration on moral grounds, without ever asserting practical equality.

The vast majority of vegans don't ever subscribe to that latter claim (which is still more than your straw man), with at least 99% of them preferring humans explicitly in any moral choice, but simply recognizing that meat is entirely unnecessary, harmful to animals, generally harmful to the environment, and probably not very healthy anyway.

You have a real propensity for making ignorant and dangerous logical fallacies.  You might consider becoming a creationist- I hear they're hiring.

Quote:
The whole animal rights o vegan culture has a wide range of folks, from those that hold religious views...

That is the ONE thing you got right- a very, very small number of vegans (mostly in the middle East) hold religious views for their veganism (Jains), and a vanishingly small number of immigrants (particularly on the East coast) also do.  There are also a couple cults who endorse it, but with secular arguments (veganism is a biproduct of moral empathy, which the beliefs encourage, not the religious beliefs themselves).

Despite that you got one out of three right for at least some influence as to why some incredibly small minority are vegan, that is not in the least one of the arguments commonly posed for veganism (or that I've ever seen posed, because even those people don't make the religious arguments in public- and most of them even find the secular arguments more powerful)- at most it's only used to help some people consider the secular arguments.  The closest you'll probably ever see to a religious argument largely amounts to "Jesus must have been vegetarian because he was compassionate, and vegetarianism is compassionate, so all Christians should be"- which is still just an argument from compassion, the "Jesus" part is superfluous.

The arrogance of your post is, that in full ignorance, you make some half cocked is-ought fallacy like it's "checkmate vegans" followed by a bunch of absurd straw men arguments- as if anybody would actually believe those things.

I'll summarize the primary arguments you'll find of vegans for you:

1. Health/human welfare: Eating meat isn't particularly healthy; it contributes to obesity and various forms of cancer, as well as other chronic diseases taxing our health care system and hurting people who would likely otherwise be well on a better diet.  Since it's not necessary for health, and even harmful, we should avoid it and phase it out of our diets.

2. Suffering/morality:  Animal agriculture harms animals and causes suffering, since we don't need to cause that harm to live, we're just hurting them for pleasure, which is the essence of unnecessary cruelty- equivalent to dog fighting (also a form of hurting animals for pleasure- entertainment instead of taste).  If we want to be moral, we should reform our social habits to avoid such unnecessary cruelty and suffering and focus on less harmful alternatives.

3. Environment/human rights:  Animal agriculture is bad for the environment, and it isn't sustainable for the growing world population- the forms of factory farming we turn to just compound the problem, both environmentally and ethically (with regards to resource distribution for other people)- for the sake of humanity we shouldn't do this entirely superficial and unnecessary activity, which serves the gluttony of the rich at the expense of others.

4. Animal rights: Speciesism is an arbitrary and unsustainable line to draw.  While we are all different, and even among humans there is natural difference and inequality, modern ethical prerogative suggests consideration of others' interests in freedom despite differences; despite that they may look different, not be as strong, not be as fast or smart.  We don't need to enslave people because they're black, or dominate women because they don't have penises, and we don't need to dominate animals- using them for food is entirely unnecessary just as was slavery.  We're not all equal, but morality means treating each other with the same consideration despite any shortcomings we see in another, and granting each living being the autonomy it was born with to live his or her life as he or she sees fit.

My arguments have been more comprehensive on the second point, but since you seem unwilling to read them, I'll leave you with that.

None of what you said addressed or contradicted any of those four primary arguments (and you would need to contradict both #2 and #4 before even suggesting it might be moral to eat meat as a counter argument).  You've just asserted, roughly, that veganism is silly and presented ignorant straw-men reasons, suggesting that you're the only one being realistic on such topics as biology and history, following into perhaps the most notorious and dogmatic of logical fallacies- [u]is-ought[/i].

Anyway, off you go to engage in the raping and such, as is only natural and therefore proper in accordance with your brand of "logic".

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
On another point, I'm not

On another point, I'm not seeing any moral cost for being vegetarian rather than vegan as long as you were careful about where your animal products came from and how those animals were treated.

From a practical perspective veganism would probably be simpler, simply because you don't have to do as much research.

Would that be correct, or would you fall back on the autonomy idea that a cow in relative comfort is still a slave?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just a point, not that it

Just a point, not that it makes any argument that we should continue to eat meat, that the ability of our ancestors to eat meat was a major factor in allowing them to evolve beyond the other primates, especially when they began to cook it.

The purely vegetarian large primates such as gorillas spend a major part of their day just chewing their food.

It seems it was the greater nutritional density of meat, and the enhanced digestibility of cooked meat, that freed our ancestors up to spend more time on other things.

And support the significant energy and other nutritional requirements of a larger brain.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Just a

BobSpence1 wrote:

Just a point, not that it makes any argument that we should continue to eat meat, that the ability of our ancestors to eat meat was a major factor in allowing them to evolve beyond the other primates, especially when they began to cook it.

The purely vegetarian large primates such as gorillas spend a major part of their day just chewing their food.

It seems it was the greater nutritional density of meat, and the enhanced digestibility of cooked meat, that freed our ancestors up to spend more time on other things.

And support the significant energy and other nutritional requirements of a larger brain.

And conversely, vegetarianism and veganism wouldn't be practical without mechanization and modern farming methods.

At least not to support an advanced society.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Blake, this is another

Blake, this is another stupid tangent, but...

How do you justify any expenditure for personal edification beyond the basics?  As a westerner, if I do just about anything, the investment is grossly inefficient if our moral goal is, 'increase happiness and well-being, decrease suffering.

I mean, I don't see how you could justify any part of the traditional western lifestyle.  Are the only options to accept that and live with the dissonance, or revert to a state where 99% of your energy is devoted to activism or charity of some sort?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, and the answer is, "You can't justify it".  That just sucks though.

Even in your lifestyle, how do you justify it to yourself when you, for example, take a transcontinental flight, knowing full well the energy and sheer cost of that act has the potential to decrease suffering by "X" amount if put to another use?

So I guess it boils down to: How can someone justify any inefficient act, when the range of efficient moral acts is probably starkly limited?

-------------

This is all coming up in my mind because I'm thinking about the consequences if I were to implement moral vegetarianism or veganism.  It seems to me that if I keep running with that logic I'd rapidly be in a situation where my life choices or very limited and not a heck of a lot of fun.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:If I

mellestad wrote:

If I provisionally agreed with what you're saying, then the moral cost of eating a cleanly killed cow is pretty low in any case, at least unless you can show a lasting trauma.  Anecdotally, I've seen too many herd animals killed, and the response of the herd is fairly minimal even when the act is brutal, much less a 'humane' slaughter program where cows calmly shuffle to their deaths with no large amount of concern.

If you agree with the other implications of ignoring the value of self actualization, then *if* the cow's life is pleasant, doesn't know it's coming, painless death, etc., and either the herd is killed all at once or the reactions are really psychologically mild, and finally if we ignore the last point (empathy from outsiders) then -as you said- the concerns would just be over matters such as energy efficiency and environmental concerns.

Those are some big "if"s, and while one could devise a way to kill the whole herd at once, painlessly, pretty easily (e.g. flushing the barn with nitrogen during the night), I'm pretty skeptical that we're capable of interpreting cow sentiments as well as we may think, I don't think the first is very tenable, and I know you'll never get away with killing an animal without somebody caring about it unless it is done in complete secrecy.

mellestad wrote:
That doesn't prove anything though, as I'm not sure how you would objectively measure that in a non-communicating species.  Brain scanning of some sort I suppose.

You talked before about assigning a moral cost based on pain, and that would follow here too, right?

Yes, basically.  Though for every negative anecdote, you'll also find positive ones, so it's pretty hard to estimate those kinds of things.

Of course, there are things like this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM  that show herd morality's potential.  And the behavior of other animals that are closely related.

Cows may be bred to be behaviorally mellow, but that doesn't necessarily reflect what's going on inside (I wouldn't have expected breeding to remove herd attachments- just outward signs of uncontrolled behavior we might expect in humans).  Toddlers can make a pretty big fuss, but it's pretty easy to understand that the depth of anguish in adults is far more profound even lacking the external signs.

I will note, however- and very crucially- that you can find the same kinds of anecdotes from the slave era in the states- that blacks simply behave differently, or lack certain elements of emotional or mental response.  It could be a psychological side effect of captivity or breaking/constant control.  Slaves, worked hard, or deadened from repetition, won't necessarily react when another falls dead of exhaustion beside them.

All anecdotal, of course-  a proper controlled study on this kind of thing might be considered unethical, but it would be interesting.

I think the important question would be whether you can trust yourself to make a truly objective estimate given your desire to eat them, which may give the estimate a bit of weight in the more edible direction.

mellestad wrote:
Most of your examples also ignored my potential point about the cost to a society of behaving in that way.  For example, a universe where Darth Vader nukes planets is likely to be a pretty horrible one

I knew what you meant; Darth Vader was just a way of saying that the entire planet gets nuked (I was trying to think of a practical way of doing this, and the death star seemed as good as any); I didn't really mean to imply the Star Wars universe of many planets as well (which would be more applicable to a city being nuked on Earth)- it was a bad analogy due to that implicit implication.

Destroying the world/universe -- not necessarily morally wrong, disregarding self actualization.  It's an important extreme to consider.

mellestad wrote:
I'd also be interested if you could show a pig is self actualized enough to be conscious of 'tomorrow', or how you would define ambition.  Maybe they are, I'm not arguing, just curious.

Google will do, but you'll have to follow experiments mentioned in the web articles with additional Google searches; I don't have time to search very much.

First Google hit that says something useful/interesting:  http://www.suite101.com/content/the-intelligent-pig-a84448

Pigs are among the most studied (cheap and easily accessible, and very intelligent).

Assuming that they look forward to tomorrow isn't a stretch- assuming that they don't, with all of the other correlations and the obvious evolutionary necessity of such thought patterns in intelligent animals would be the stretch. 

I don't think evidence really needs to be provided for every conceivable thought capacity beyond tests of memory and basic intelligence (the rest should be pretty well implied by the performance in other, more easily testable, areas, and convergent evolution (if those things didn't already have to exist by the point we diverged)).

Here's a youtube video with some of the experiments being run in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfbf5DHcUcs

The narrator is kind of cheesy, but after that it has some footage (just wait for it after the intro).

I'm actually a little surprised by the chicken recognizing the video screen- from that we can likely intuit that the chicken knew it would be let into the room (probably repeated experiment), and so was able to pay attention to the screen and anticipate which bowl would have the food in it- effectively demonstrating a future goal of eating that food in particular (and I'd be willing to bet the chicken would probably remember it for the next day, too, if you formatted the experiment right).  Length of memory is a pretty good analog for extent of and capacity for future planning and ambition-- in pigs it would seem not to be days, but years (looking forward to a warm spring rain to roll around in, etc.).

Regarding birds, though, of course chickens don't have much on ravens, which are almost frighteningly intelligent (more so than dogs and young children, from the tests)- kind of shakes up one's assumptions about brain size.  We are *very* bad at guessing animals' intelligences without real tests, because anecdotes are so biased and we can't read nonverbal communication in animals well.  It seems we are constantly surprised, but we really shouldn't be- intelligence is evolutionarily useful in large mobile animals.

mellestad wrote:
The main flaw I see is your point about people like you being empathetically impacted by the death of a pig.  If that is the case (I'll take your word for it, since it doesn't bother me, even if I did it myself), then that would be a very valid point within that moral framework.  Then it would just be a matter of calculating the weight of pleasure and pain...which I imagine would fall against my argument, because the act wouldn't bring enough pleasure to overcome much.

Right, in practice the pleasure from meat usually isn't that great.  But also don't forget rational Epicurean behavior. 

Epicureanism:  that is, the [well demonstrated] premise that we can change our desires, and thus the pleasure and pain we experience- adjusting our baselines and expectations without losing anything objective in the process.

That would suggest that even if we had orgasms over bacon today, that we should stop eating it anyway, because we could just as easily have orgasms over carrots another time (in the right context), and it wouldn't be any different to the bottom line.

To put it in utilitarian terms, 300 pleasure for 300 pain may break even, but if we have the ability to change that dynamic into 300 pleasure for zero pain (even if it costs us a little short term pain, personally, to make the change) then we should do that as a moral prerogative.

I have the ability to change my palette to actually think Jalapenos are spicy- I would just have to suffer my cravings for spicy foods unfulfilled for some time- and if I had any moral reason to do so (instead of treating them like mild snack foods to be dipped in spicier salsa), there would be call to.  Any meat eater, likewise, has the ability to grow to enjoy vegetarian food more, and ultimately lose the cravings for meat- and given a moral reason to do so (in the framework of suffering) it would seem to be the practical course of action.  It's like quitting smoking; short term difficulty and pain of craving, long term benefit.