Obama goes to church and it makes national news...WTF?

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Obama goes to church and it makes national news...WTF?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Playing the "I'm not a

Playing the "I'm not a Muslim, damn it" card?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why are you singling out

Why are you singling out Obama?  EVERY president has during the Christmas season always ends up in a  photo op.

Do you think ANY president could get elected, or re-elected if they didn't pray in some sort of church? It is sad considering the seemingly wasted words the founders took the pains of writing in "No Religious Test", but it would be political suicide to not do such.

I hope within my lifetime people will get over this stupid superstition of their elected officials always having to be the same religion as the voters. It would be nice if our voting public understood that common law, not common dogma, and the performance of the elected official should be the only judgment of the voter.

We have now, or first open Muslim in Keith Elleson in our congress, and our first open atheist in Pete Stark in our congress. But it wasn't that long ago when even Jews and Catholics have had just as much a hard time getting elected as an atheist does today.

But showing Obama in a church is no different than showing Bush Jr in a church. It is unfortunately an unwritten mandate the public has of their president. If neither of them did that, they wouldn't stay in office.

To the assholes who shout, "He's not a Christian", I respond,

SO THE FUCK WHAT? He was born in Hawaii a state in the United States. He legally applied to run for office. He won enough votes to win the election. "NO RELIGIOUS TEST"

The morons who try to make his religion an issue are merely crying sour grapes that someone other than a white, right wing Christian out competed them politically.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Why are you

Brian37 wrote:

Why are you singling out Obama?  EVERY president has during the Christmas season always ends up in a  photo op.

Do you think ANY president could get elected, or re-elected if they didn't pray in some sort of church? It is sad considering the seemingly wasted words the founders took the pains of writing in "No Religious Test", but it would be political suicide to not do such.

I hope within my lifetime people will get over this stupid superstition of their elected officials always having to be the same religion as the voters. It would be nice if our voting public understood that common law, not common dogma, and the performance of the elected official should be the only judgment of the voter.

We have now, or first open Muslim in Keith Elleson in our congress, and our first open atheist in Pete Stark in our congress. But it wasn't that long ago when even Jews and Catholics have had just as much a hard time getting elected as an atheist does today.

But showing Obama in a church is no different than showing Bush Jr in a church. It is unfortunately an unwritten mandate the public has of their president. If neither of them did that, they wouldn't stay in office.

SO THE FUCK WHAT? He was born in Hawaii a state in the United States. He legally applied to run for office. He won enough votes to win the election. "NO RELIGIOUS TEST"

The morons who try to make his religion an issue are merely crying sour grapes that someone other than a white, right wing Christian out competed them politically.

the question isn't "Why did Obama go to church?" but "Why in the hell is this news?"

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Brian37

jcgadfly wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

the question isn't "Why did Obama go to church?" but "Why in the hell is this news?"

Don't make it about Obama. EVERY President before him has made the news at this time going into church.

It shouldn't be news, I agree. I think the people getting stuck in the airports because of the snow is much more important. But it gets reported every year no matter who the president is.Why? Because the fans of Jesus like it when you suck up to them. That is more important than air safety, isn't it?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:jcgadfly

Brian37 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Don't make it about Obama. EVERY President before him has made the news at this time going into church.

It shouldn't be news, I agree. I think the people getting stuck in the airports because of the snow is much more important. But it gets reported every year no matter who the president is.Why? Because the fans of Jesus like it when you suck up to them. That is more important than air safety, isn't it?

It's only about Obama because he is the one in charge at present and no one since JFK has had to go through so much BS about his religion from Christians (and Kennedy was a Christian also).

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Don't make it

Brian37 wrote:
Don't make it about Obama.

Plenty of other political ammo out there if anyone is interested

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
It makes the news because he

It makes the news because he almost never goes.  A lot of religious people get riled up about it because of that, and there are quotes from Obama that make him seem anti-religious.  The idea that he is a secret non-citizen Muslim also helps.

Essentially, it gets mention in national news because people care about it.  News is just entertainment, and if it gets people to read an article it will print, full stop.  I think every time he mentions God he gets an article because he barely ever uses religion in his speeches.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
A lot of good points!!

But I am going to key on Mellestad.   I don't believe Barak or Michelle have any interest or belief in a religion. It does not suite the way eather was raised. But he could not get elected to anything with honesty; ergo " I chose to be a christian."  probably on the exact same day he chose to run in an election.   {I have written this before here}.   Obama has chosen a church in D.C. to attend for he and his family but has yet to find the time to attend it. Yeah to him! A.Lincoln made the same choice but never got around to it eather.

Maybe we should remind the current GOP,  and the rest of America that the most conservative Republican Presidents since WWII, Eisenhower, Nixon and Reagan never found time for church  and mentioned that god thingy even less then Obama does.

Bush Sr. didn't bother with the god-stuff much but it was Democrat Clinton who brought god and christian born again stuff BACK to the white house.  Bush jr. just acted like he was holier then thou, he was an ex- drunk, ex-junky and thought the rest of us should be clean and sober as well.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Why are you

Brian37 wrote:

He can't go anywhere without such... I'm just curious why it makes headlines... I never heard as such for W, Slick Willy etc.

Brian37 wrote:

I'd prefer them to keep religion out of politics...The best way it seems for a president or any public figure to do this is to regularly attend services such that no one give's a pooh when they do...

Anyhoo...

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”