Hello

Birth_of_Christ...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hello

I believe that the LORD our God spoke to the forefathers by the mouth of the prophets.

I believe in the testimony of Jesus Christ which is recorded in the Gospels of the Apostles' Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as the Word of the Kingdom of the only Living God our Father which is LORD of Heaven and Earth.

I believe that the Apostles spoke the Word of Truth because the Holy Spirit of the LORD our God abided with them to lead them to do the Will of our Father which is in Heaven.

Genesis 1
1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Birth_of_Christ_by_a_virgin

Birth_of_Christ_by_a_virgin wrote:

I believe that the LORD our God spoke to the forefathers by the mouth of the prophets.

I believe in the testimony of Jesus Christ which is recorded in the Gospels of the Apostles' Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as the Word of the Kingdom of the only Living God our Father which is LORD of Heaven and Earth.

I believe that the Apostles spoke the Word of Truth because the Holy Spirit of the LORD our God abided with them to lead them to do the Will of our Father which is in Heaven.

Welcome to the forums.

I don't believe any of what you have claimed at all.

1-I consider the Jewish prophets to be part of a religion based in mythology.

2-I consider Jesus to be a legend or myth. It's not exactly clear if he was a real person or not.

3-I consider the 4 Gospels to be multiple stories and legends with little basis in reality.

I hope you feel fulfilled by coming here. You have done your part per the Gospels.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is nice to see you here.

Welcome and I hope you do stay around.  Adam and Eve were NOT and are NOT Considered ' prophets'   so  'who spake unto they-ish' ?

Jesus did NOT testify in the christian sense of the word;  he was the son of god;  he did not need to.   Or do you have a different version of the bible then other Christians?

Mark, Luke,  Mathew and John had different versions  of everything: which am I suppose to believe and which am I suppose to dis-reguard?  

Lord Mithras' apostles {true witnesses} saw him as he died, and waited  has he arose again on the third day (Easter) to continue his   guardianship over the world;   600 years before YOUR Jesus charactor made the same promise but: never lived up to it?

Genesis 1: 3  and God said let there be light: and there was light.             Where did THIS light come from?    AND more importantly where did IT go to after the SUN was created 3 DAYS later!!!!!!!!!

Please stay around I would realy like to hear/read the answers to these and other questions; [ the first commandment for one}

Jim

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.I don't

Welcome to the forum.

I don't believe in God.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome to the

Welcome to the forums.

Everyone should believe in something.  I believe I could use another bourbon and ginger.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline

Welcome aboard.

I used to share your beliefs. I no longer hold any of them to be true.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you arrive at these beliefs ? What particular branch of the Christian faith do you follow ? Why do you hold this faith to be true over all the other variations of Christianity ? Do you see the Bible in literal terms or symbolic ones ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
Answering Jeffrick questions.

Quote:
Welcome and I hope you do stay around.  Adam and Eve were NOT and are NOT Considered ' prophets'   so  'who spake unto they-ish' ?

- Numbers 12 (King James version)
5.  And the Lord came down in the pillar of the cloud, and stood in the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam: and they both came forth.
 6.  And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the Lord will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.
 7.  My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house.
 8.  With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the Lord shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?

- "With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches;": Likewise, the Lord spoke to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

Quote:
Jesus did NOT testify in the christian sense of the word;  he was the son of god;  he did not need to.   Or do you have a different version of the bible then other Christians?

- John 3 (King James version)
31.  He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.
 32.  And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony.
 33.  He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.
 34.  For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
 35.  The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.
 36.  He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Quote:
Mark, Luke,  Mathew and John had different versions  of everything: which am I suppose to believe and which am I suppose to dis-reguard?

- Matthew 13 (King James version)
 52.  Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.

Quote:
Lord Mithras' apostles {true witnesses} saw him as he died, and waited  has he arose again on the third day (Easter) to continue his   guardianship over the world;   600 years before YOUR Jesus charactor made the same promise but: never lived up to it?

- Genesis 2 (King James version)
 9.  And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

- John 6 (King James version)
47.  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Quote:
Genesis 1: 3  and God said let there be light: and there was light.             Where did THIS light come from?    AND more importantly where did IT go to after the SUN was created 3 DAYS later!!!!!!!!!

- Isaiah 8 (King James version)
19.  And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
 20.  To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

- John 8 (King James version)
12.  Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

Quote:
Please stay around I would realy like to hear/read the answers to these and other questions; [ the first commandment for one}

- Mark 12 (King James version)
29.  And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
 30.  And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello. Are you ready for

Hello.

Are you ready for questioning your beliefs? Comparing them, turning them inside out, upside down, stretching on a meter, as we would never have seen them, yet seen for thousands times already? Smiling

There are many beliefs in the world. And prophets and miracles. Speaking deity's words or hearing voices in head is a sign of mediumship. Mediums even today also write books and their books are notoriously imprecise, which they try to cover by playing with people's emotions. For example, promising or threatening people. Mediums do not hesitate to say that their spirit is someone majestic and powerful, according to what they believe in. Jesus, God, or extraterrestrial  fleet admiral. I've seen them, mediums, I mean.

If you go a bit further to the East, you will find no fertile ground for Christianity, for there are legends and veritable records of much greater and more recent miracles than anyone in the West can imagine. Any decent fakir or yogi could not only rise from the dead several times, but also rise other people from dead. He could let things levitate or multiply food just like Jesus. In 1615 a delegation of highly- educated and distinguished men from the English East India Company visited the Emperor Jehangire.

"A large cauldron was set, and into it a quantity of rice thrown. Without the sign of fire this rice soon began to boil, and out from the cauldron was taken more than one hundred platters of cooked rice, with a stewed fowl at the top of each. This trick is performed on a smaller scale by the most ordinary fakirs of the present day.

A party of Bengalese conjurers and jugglers, showing their art before the emperor, were desired to produce upon the spot, and from seed, ten mulberry trees. They immediately planted ten seeds, which, in a few minutes produced as many trees. The ground divided over the spot where a seed was planted, tiny leaves appeared, at once followed by slender shoots, which rapidly gained elevation, putting out leaves and twigs and branches, finally spreading wide in the air, budding, blossoming and yielding fruit, which matured upon the spot, and was found to be excellent.

"Another had a bow and about fifty steel-pointed arrows. He shot an arrow into the air, when, lo! the arrow became fixed in space at a considerable height.Another and another arrow was sent off, each fixing itself in the shaft of the preceding, until all formed a chain of arrows in the air, excepting the last shot, which, striking the chain, brought the whole to the ground in detachments. 

So what is the Christianity about, besides very modest miracles? It is a re-edition of pagan legend of Tartaros and Elysium, of eternal punishment or eternal reward. Every second esotericist writes, that it was planted into Bible in the year 533 AD. Empress Theodora and emperor Justinian forced the Church fathers  to pick the doctrine and edit out of Bible what made it give sense before. No wonder, Theodora had first two popes executed. 

The true teaching of Jesus originated from a Jewish mystical sect. The place was full of them at the time, Pharisees, Saducees, Essenes... This is where Jesus studied most of his life, which Bible did not care to record, by the way. This is where he learned about Reincarnation and taught it as a logical and righteous law of divine justice. Every greater religion in the world believes in reincarnation ( including Islam ) , except of Christians who were forced not to by worldly power.

Mystical sects have a mystical teaching. It says, that there is one fundamental teaching released into the world in many places and historical period by a great teacher when the need arises. Jesus did not live his own life, he followed the symbolical scheme that before him lived Dionysus, Heracles or Mithra. It is a sequence of successive events symbolizing major spiritual advancements with metaphorical meaning. He might act it out literally for us, but the meaning is symbolical.

To accept the Bible as a "revelation" and nail belief to a literal translation, is worse than absurdity -
- it 
is a blasphemy against the Divine majesty of the "Unseen." 

Madame H. P. Blavatsky, Isis Unveiled 

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you really have to upper case

the word lord everytime you use it? It must slow down your tumbling train of thought no end.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline

our Father which is in Heaven.

Our daddy sure did screw around a lot, didn't he?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
My previous reply to Jeffrick.

I replied to Jeffrick and it has not been posted yet.

After I submitted the reply to Jeffrick yesterday, a message was displayed and said something along these lines, "My post would be read first before it is posted" and my post to Jeffrick has not been posted yet. I am still waiting for it to be posted before I continue posting anything else!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to believe. But pesky

I used to believe.

But pesky things like DNA and the fact it takes TWO contributors to manifest into a zygote, got in the way.

None of the gospels were written during his alleged time frame, FYI.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 anonymous wrote:My

anonymous wrote:

Anonymous posts go in a moderator queue. I don't see it handy to approve. However, if you would be so nice as to log in, then it will go through automatically. Or provide me with enough of a clue that I can find it and I will be happy to authorize it,

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Birth_of_Christ...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Previous post which was not approved

I understand now what happened. I thought that I was logged in but I was not. That is why the browser indicated that the "Your name:" that I typed, "Birth_of_Christ_by_a_virgin" was already in use. So, I left it as "anonymous". Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The post in question starts as follows:

Quote:

Numbers 12 (King James version)
5.  And the Lord came down in the pillar of the cloud, and stood in the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam: and they both came forth.
 6.  And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the Lord will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.
 8.  With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the Lord shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?

- "With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches;": Likewise, the Lord spoke to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

anonymous wrote:

Anonymous posts go in a moderator queue. I don't see it handy to approve. However, if you would be so nice as to log in, then it will go through automatically. Or provide me with enough of a clue that I can find it and I will be happy to authorize it,

Genesis 1

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline

Can you give me 1 good reason to believe any of this is true, other than words in a book?  If words in a book is all you have then you should be a muslim aswell, and a member of every other religion representing words in a book.  1 good reason, go!

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Surely this

person can't be serious. Why would you quote the bloody bible to prove anything sensible? It boggles the mind. The bible is a like a get-out-of-cognition-free card.

Use your head, Birth.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
WTF?

The wholly spirit of the lord our god abided with them? What does that mean in this context, Virgin Birth? How did this mysterious ethereal beast go about with the abiding you're talking about? The father was in heaven. The spirit can't be fluttering around on earth while the lord is poncing about on his diamonte-encrusted throne in heaven. That would be idolatry.

Birth_of_Christ...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
We have a sensible Father which is in Heaven.

Atheistextremist wrote:

person can't be serious. Why would you quote the bloody bible to prove anything sensible? It boggles the mind. The bible is a like a get-out-of-cognition-free card.

Use your head, Birth.

All of The Ten Commandments are sensible and have you considered the following Commandment?

- Exodus 20 (King James version)
5.  Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them (graven image), nor serve them (graven image): for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6.  And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

All fathers chastise their sons and daughters for it is sensible to them.

- Hebrews 12 (King James version)
6.  For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7.  If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
 8. (Literal Bible with Vertical Strong's Definitions or #'s)
   |1487| if
   |1161| But
   |5565| without
   |2075| you are
   |3809| discipline,
   |3739| of which
   |3353| participants
   |1096| have become
   |3956| all,
   |0686| then
   |3541| illegitimate
   |2075| you are
   |2532| and
   |3756| not
   |5207| sons.

- Strong's Ref. # 3541

Romanized  nothos
Pronounced noth'-os

of uncertain affinity; a spurious or illegitimate son:

KJV--bastard.

Genesis 1

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Atheistextremist wrote:

Use your head, Birth.

All of The Ten Commandments are sensible and have you considered the following Commandment?

5.  Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them (graven image), nor serve them (graven image): for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6.  And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

- Hebrews 12 (King James version)
6.  For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7.  If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
 8. (Literal Bible with Vertical Strong's Definitions or #'s)
   |1487| if
   |1161| But
   |5565| without
   |2075| you are
   |3809| discipline,
   |3739| of which
   |3353| participants
   |1096| have become
   |3956| all,
   |0686| then
   |3541| illegitimate
   |2075| you are
   |2532| and
   |3756| not
   |5207| sons.

- Strong's Ref. # 3541

Romanized  nothos
Pronounced noth'-os

of uncertain affinity; a spurious or illegitimate son:

KJV--bastard.

WTF is that bunch of incomprehensible nonsense supposed to mean?

There is no evidence that a God exists, but if he does, all the evidence of the history of the world proves he is evil and does not 'love' us.

The only commandments which are halfway respectable are the ones against murder and theft, but killing someone who is about to kill you or someone else is not a 'sin', and lying to a person to prevent them from finding someone they wish to harm, for example, is also not a sin.

Theft of the property of a rich man to feed a starving child is also not wrong.

Such simplistic lists of rules do not define morality.

And 'coveting' something is also not a sin, but condemning someone for their thoughts is.

And referring to someone's wife and servants as possessions is also wrong.

Who is being harmed by the 'worship' of a graven image? It is silly, yes, but not worthy of calling a sin, except in the eyes of your petty, self-centred, narcissistic God.

Morality is about avoiding harm to others, and offering help to those in distress, at the very least, not about obeying a set of edicts like that.

Commandments to worship him are also not worthy of a God - he should demonstrate he is worthy of worship, which he hasn't - quite the reverse.

And where are the commandments against rape, torture, and slavery??

If he exists, he appears to have 'created' us to torment us for his own amusement, and created a whole bunch of 'fun' disease-causing bacteria, viruses, and parasites for us to share our world with.

And built all these defects into our body so we have a chance of enjoying the pleasures of cancer, and falling apart as we age...

He even favours some children with hideous deformities or gross mental deficiencies before they are even born.

And we are supposed to worship this prick?

You are off your tiny brain.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline

LOL

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Anonymous wrote:I replied to

Anonymous wrote:

After I submitted the reply to Jeffrick yesterday, a message was displayed and said something along these lines, "My post would be read first before it is posted" and my post to Jeffrick has not been posted yet. I am still waiting for it to be posted before I continue posting anything else!

I approved them.  Create an account and you wont have to wait.

Gene and other mods, you can see those posts here: http://www.rationalresponders.com/admin/content/comment/list/approval

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline

How does this translate as a sensible command to you ? God is saying that he is jealous and will punish grandchildren and even great grandchildren over the parent bowing to a "graven image" ?

Do you think that someone could do something so bad that the parent should say "Man, that is it, that is unforgiveable. I hate you, I hate your children and I even hate your grandchildren and will do everything within my power to make them suffer because I hate you so much,". What sort of sane and rational person would do that ? Why an all knowing, all powerful, all loving god could do something like that is totally insane. God is so jealous that he punishes people that had nothing to do with the imaginary crime of "graven images" ? Do you really accept that ?

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Maybe Birth by Indignant Virgin

is our resident Poe. If so, I preferred Jean Chauvin better. He was a triumph of a thing.

Next, virgin boy is going to start quoting Romans at me. Not sure I can take it.

Birth_of_Christ...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Answering Jeffrick questions.

Quote:

- "With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches;": Likewise, the Lord spoke to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. The Commandments of the LORD Our God were clearly spoken to them and understood but still they disobeyed by believing instead the lies of the old serpent of whom the Lord Our God did not mention anything to them until after they fell to his temptation. Within Genesis 3:1-13 Eve does NOT say to the old serpent, the Lord Our God forbade me from speaking with you.

- Knowing that Adam and Eve were beguiled by the old serpent and also we having been warned by Jesus Christ of the lies of the devil and also having been warned by the Apostle Paul that satan has transformed himsef into an angel of light, why can't men perceive and understand that all the evil works in the world are of their father, the devil?

- 2 Corinthians 11
13.  For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
 14.  And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
 15.  Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Quote:

31.  He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.
 32.  And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony.
 34.  For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.
 36.  He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Quote:

52.  Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.

Quote:
Lord Mithras' apostles {true witnesses} saw him as he died, and waited  has he arose again on the third day (Easter) to continue his   guardianship over the world;   600 years before YOUR Jesus charactor made the same promise but: never lived up to it?

- Hebrews 13 (King James version)

8.  Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

9.  And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

47.  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Quote:
Genesis 1: 3  and God said let there be light: and there was light.             Where did THIS light come from?    AND more importantly where did IT go to after the SUN was created 3 DAYS later!!!!!!!!!

- 2 Corinthians 4 (King James version)
5.  For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
6.  For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Quote:

29.  And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
 30.  And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

And also in the Old Testament:

- Deuteronomy 6
4.  Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God is one Lord:
 5.  And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
 6.  And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
 7.  And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Genesis 1

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you have only the Bible

If you have only the Bible for guidance, you are truly LOST.

You are crying in the wilderness, from your firm foundation of sand, throwing at us tattered fragments of the empty nonsense that is scripture.

You sad, lost, deluded child.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
So, BoCbav.In order to prove

So, BoCbav.

In order to prove the reality of your pagan construct you have to go to the followers of the creator of said construct (Paul of Tarsus) who borrowed it from other savior-god myths and the Hebrews who borrowed the gods that were worshipped by the land's original inhabitants?

Can't you guys ever think on your own?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Quote:

- "With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches;": Likewise, the Lord spoke to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. The Commandments of the LORD Our God were clearly spoken to them and understood but still they disobeyed by believing instead the lies of the old serpent of whom the Lord Our God did not mention anything to them until after they fell to his temptation. Within Genesis 3:1-13 Eve does NOT say to the old serpent, the Lord Our God forbade me from speaking with you.

- Knowing that Adam and Eve were beguiled by the old serpent and also we having been warned by Jesus Christ of the lies of the devil and also having been warned by the Apostle Paul that satan has transformed himsef into an angel of light, why can't men perceive and understand that all the evil works in the world are of their father, the devil?

- 2 Corinthians 11
13.  For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
 15.  Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

- Hebrews 13 (King James version)

8.  Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Quote:

- 2 Corinthians 4 (King James version)
5.  For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
6.  For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Quote:

- Deuteronomy 6
 5.  And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
 7.  And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Quoting the bible is nothing but self serving circular reasoning. If I quote a Superman movie, because I've seen the City of New York in one, does that mean Superman exists?

All this proves is that you can quote an ancient book of myth.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline

I don't understand what that is supposed to mean. Besides, nothing has appeared on a cloud and given  any of the present  day population any sort of advice on what to do with our modern world and the issues it faces. Where does he stand on global warming ? Stem-cell research ? Planetary travel ? Cancer and Aids research ? War ? Government Spending ? Is god being deliberately vague ? Or is he not interested in the modern world and thereby allowing people to interpret an ancient text ?

- 2 Corinthians 11

Again, god is not being clear. What distinguishes "good" works ? Judging by the behavior of most of the people in the Biblical times, most of their behavior was barbaric in comparison to ours, so what defines "good" works ? Killing other tribes ? Raping women ? What is good works ?

Once again, vague, shrouded in all sorts of meaningless sentences that could mean anything and nothing at all.

- Genesis 2g 

How does this explain Jesus cursing a fig tree that could not bear fruit out of season ? Especially due to the fact that he was so enraged at the fig tree that he decided to curse it "FOREVER"

Everlasting just by believing ? So I can go out and commit any crimes that I wish ? Violate any laws that I wish ? Do whatever inhumane things that I wish ? And then just accept and believe and I get everlasting life ? Wow, what happens to all of those people that I treated so terribly ? What if the people I did such terrible things to were Atheists ? Are they NOT going to get everlasting life while I will ? Hardly seems fair. What about the people that have never heard of Jesus ? Are they just sent to hell for their ignorance ?

Why is it that god is so concerned with being loved by his creations all of the time, but seems to spend little time and energy to show real love to his creations ?

- Deuteronomy 6

More demands for love and recognition from his creations. But no real concern over what his creations really do. Just as long as they spend every moment of every hour of every day worshipping him. Surely god gets tired of all this worship all through  eternity all of the time ?

One of my main problems with trying to take the bible as a book with credibility is this. When I was a kid, after the first and second readings of the Catholic Mass, the priest then would give a sermon (homily) to explain those readings. The same thing often happened with the members of my church that studied the bible. We all had to run every bible verse and chapter past the priests and the experts to have them explain to us what it "truly" meant. Or course, the priests and the experts would have explanations for the conflicting bible verses and tell us to read some other chapter that was more applicable to what we "needed" to be studying. Yet, everyone in the parish wanted to say the Bible was the "literal" word of god. During my years of religious service, it never occurred to me if the thing was so literal, why couldn't I just read and understand without needing someone else to tell me what it meant ? Why was I always getting explanations like "Well Jesus said this but that is not what he meant, what he was talking about was ---,". You get the idea. I am sure that the same sort of thing goes on at your church. Do you ask your reverend of bible studying leaders for clarification on certain verses ? If it is a literal word, why would that be necessary ?

― Giordano Bruno

N I N E
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Why is it that all Christians, well all religions actually, only ever read the nice, happy things in their respective godblogs, never the glaring counter ideals that may greatly prove that their respective imaginary friend is either a lying psycho, or less real than a "South Park" outtake.

Anyone can do this, it's a game called "Dante's Barbeque", you take all the troublesome sentences and chapters out to completely rearrange the story to a much nicer, mow your lawn on Sunday, Happy Holidays, reading experience.

Now, all we need is a law stating that until the content of any book is beyond question as proof, then into the fiction section it goes, along with Harry Potter, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, and Billy Grahams book on Physics.

No Intervention No Evidence (NINE) 999999999999999

Birth_of_Christ...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quoting the bible

Quote:
Brian37:

Quoting the bible is nothing but self serving circular reasoning. If I quote a Superman movie, because I've seen the City of New York in one, does that mean Superman exists?

We are to increase our understanding of the teachings by the Apostles and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 4 (KJV)

12.  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Ephesians 4
10.  He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
 11.  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
 12.  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
 13.  Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Hebrews 5

12.  For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
 13.  For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
 14.  But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Genesis 1

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Groan.

Quote:
Brian37:

We are to increase our understanding of the teachings by the Apostles and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 4 (KJV)

12.  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Ephesians 4
10.  He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
 11.  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
 12.  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
 13.  Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Hebrews 5

12.  For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
 13.  For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
 14.  But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

And the atheists wept.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline

We are to increase our understanding of the teachings by the Apostles

Virtually everything they taught has been taught before, and a lot of it sucks.

and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Don't believe. Need evidence. Sorry.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Don't

butterbattle wrote:

Don't believe. Need evidence. Sorry.

If a series of Bible verses doesn't convert you, I don't know what will.  Filthy heathen.

Seriously Birth_of_Christ, what, exactly, do you think you're going to accomplish by posting Bible verses?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Birth_of_Christ...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quoting the bible.

By example of Our Lord Jesus Christ and of the Apostles for they also quoted from the Holy Scriptures for in them there is life eternal.

Psalms 119(KJV)

15.  I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
16.  I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

17.  Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word.

How can we have life eternal if we do not keep the Word of God (Word of Righteousness) in our heart and mind?

Romans 8(KJV)

4.  That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
 5.  For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
 6.  For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
 7.  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
 8.  So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
 9.  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
 10.  And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
 11.  But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Genesis 1

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

By example of Our Lord Jesus Christ and of the Apostles for they also quoted from the Holy Scriptures for in them there is life eternal.

Psalms 119(KJV)

How can we have life eternal if we do not keep the Word of God (Word of Righteousness) in our heart and mind?

Romans 8(KJV)

4.  That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
 5.  For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
 6.  For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
 7.  Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
 9.  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
 10.  And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
 11.  But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

All of the Bible or just the parts you like? Be honest, I dare you.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline

Again. Don't believe. Need evidence. Sorry.

Quote:
How can we have life eternal

We can't have life eternal. There is no such thing.

Quote:
if we do not keep the Word of God (Word of Righteousness) in our heart and mind?

Believing in archaic religious scrapings written by desert goat herders does not make our lives eternal. Sorry. Try again.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

Psalms 119(KJV)

Romans 8(KJV)

Quoting your holy book to prove the existence of the god you believe to be real is called CIRCULAR REASONING.

Muslims and Jews do it too.

We are not impressed with bible quotes anymore than we are when a Muslim quotes the Koran.

Birth_of_Christ...
Theist
User is offlineOffline
My last post

Why did I started posting on this forum?
a) I thought that if I answered your questions with quotations from the Bible(the Word of Truth rather than my own words because I didn't want to explain anything wrong) that I might be able to answer the questions you have concerning "the Word in the Bible".

b) But now I understand that by the Will of God you are not able to understand.

c) Who told me to come here and start answering questions? I thought and I felt that I could search the Bible  to find the answers to your questions so that you may understand those things you may have difficulty in understanding and I learn too.

d) Why wasn't I able to convince any of you to believe the Word of God from the preachings and teachings of the Prophets, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Apostles?

It is by the Will of God, not by my own will, that we all believe in the testimony and the works of, the Son of God, Our Lord Jesus Christ if we confess our sins to the Lord Our God and repent in our heart and mind to never do again wicked works.

Pray to God Our Father which is in Heaven to lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.

If you don't believe anything in the Bible?

Then you can never be a son of God because by His own Will begat He us with the Word of Truth and having received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Vasco Martins.

Genesis 1

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
If you never intended to

If you never intended to reply to us directly, you shouldn't have posted here in the first place.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline

I understand. I just don't agree. Sorry.

Quote:
d) Why wasn't I able to convince any of you to believe the Word of God from the preachings and teachings of the Prophets, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Apostles?

Eh.....because naked assertions aren't very convincing?

Quote:
It is by the Will of God, not by my own will, that we all believe in the testimony and the works of, the Son of God, Our Lord Jesus Christ if we confess our sins to the Lord Our God and repent in our heart and mind to never do again wicked works.

Uh, yeah. That's a naked assertion. It's not very convincing.

Quote:

Well, it's not that I don't believe anything in it. I believe if it matches reality. I don't believe it if it doesn't. I suspend judgment if I don't know either way.

Quote:
Then you can never be a son of God because by His own Will begat He us with the Word of Truth and having received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Well, if there is no God, then naturally, no one can ever be a "son of God," whatever that means.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline

a) I thought that if I answered your questions with quotations from the Bible(the Word of Truth rather than my own words because I didn't want to explain anything wrong) that I might be able to answer the questions you have concerning "the Word in the Bible".

c) Who told me to come here and start answering questions? I thought and I felt that I could search the Bible  to find the answers to your questions so that you may understand those things you may have difficulty in understanding and I learn too.

Pray to God Our Father which is in Heaven to lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.

Vasco Martins.

It is not the "will of god" that we don't understand. It is the reality of REASON in the fact that we have read the bible without beer goggles on, that we reject it.

For the same reason when YOU read Harry Potter you don't literally believe that little boys fly around on brooms.

FACT. It takes TWO sets of DNA to manifest into a Zygote. Thus making invisible magical godsperm theory of virgin birth claims bogus.

FACT, Human flesh DOES NOT survive rigor mortis. Thus making the zombie god claim of Jesus bogus.

There is no "will" givin to humans by disimbodied magical super brains in the sky. There is only YOU who want a super hero to exist.

What frightens you so much to cling to such old myth? Was it horrible for humanity to find out that the earth was a globe and not flat?

This is all there is. There was no Thor and there is no Vishnu or Allah or Yahweh or Christian god. There are merely humans who invent god/s.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline

Vasco Martins.

It must be nice that nothing is your fault.  Sort of makes God a dick though.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Vasco Martins.

So I'll see you in Heaven because I am acting in God's will because he forbids my understanding?

That means you've sucked up to God for nothing.

— George Carlin

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline

Vasco Martins.

I hope that is your real name, so you can go down on record as the bafoon that you are.  This entire thread has to be one of the most pathetic attempts at discussion from a theist I have ever seen.  Just preaching, begging, and a bunch of incoherent dribble.  This is either a joke, or a very lost mind.    

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow...

Birth_of_Christ_by_a_"virgin", you came on here just regurgitating "holy babble" quotes like they are evidence. They are not, they are claims. We require evidence for claims before we accept them. Therefore you need to start listing some evidence as to why those claims of the holy babble are true and accurate. Until then, they are just baseless claims and we will treat them accordingly.

And really, did you think that we are all atheists because we had never read that despicable book of slavery, rape, genocide, racism, misogyny, and homophobia you call the basis for morality? Most of us are atheists BECAUSE we read those horrible religious books and realized how full of shit they are!

So, you bring some evidence for those religious claims and we have something to talk about. Until then I have no reason to treat you as anything other then a crazy sheeple just quoting from a immoral, badly written fictional book as if it's fact.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
This claimed perfect being

This claimed perfect being had a shitload of do overs in the book the fans of this fiction wrote.

1. Garden of Eden, a claimed perfection ends up being changed and the two in it went on to create off spring who disobeyed god as well. If this perfect being wanted his creation to obey him, then there would be no need to create anything beyond the garden.

2. The flood was another solution, actually carpet bombing, was supposed to rid the world of sin by leaving it with a pure family, but Noah's offspring went on to keep fucking up.

3. That didn't seem to work so God cloned himself and committed a fake suicide to get people to stop misbehaving. Yet humans still fuck up/

4. Then he throws a fit, says fuck it, and for the exception of a few, he not only beats the crap out of dissenters, but has them tortured forever in the after life.

This does not reflect a real god, but the real imperfection of human thought that our species has evolved to concoct and falsely believe in.

The reality is that life and the universe never was nor never will be "perfect" and deity belief is merely the evolutionary flaw of filling in gaps with bad answers. Myths have died in the past and the god of Abraham will so too, in the future, morph into something new, or die all together.

It is why LDS church exists and Scientology was spawned from the successful marketing of con artists.

It is sad that our species will cling to a tradition because "it seems to work" rather than the useful pragmatism of actually testing and questioning social norms to improve the human condition.