Can a consistent atheist have morals?

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
Posts: 1211
Joined: 2010-11-19
User is offlineOffline
Can a consistent atheist have morals?

Hello,

Is it logically possible for atheists to have morals? I thought it best to start on a fresh topic. Besides the laws of the land, what keeps you from being a rapist or a mass murderer since you are worthless according to atheism and no ethics can be afforded to you.

Why is it that via your nature, everything you do is against the Bible. You don't go against Scripture because you intellectually go against Scripture, you do it because you "want" to via your desire. Where does your desire come from?

Isn't hating God a Hate Crime? Why would you be so intolerant about God when He tolerates you and allows you to breath. Why are you so intolerant and why are you so narrow minded that you don't allow the possibility for God.

But then again, according to this site, an agnostic is an atheist. lol. wow, that's a Classificational Fallacy if I ever saw one. Atheist via the etymological term is a fixed claim that there absolutely is no God. And now there are as many definitions for atheism as there are ice scream at Baskin Robbins. Just pick your flavor.

And this is what we would expect to find, since atheism is confusion and ridiculous. Atheism is by definition narrow-minded and is a hate crime since they hate God.

I will be moving for a while so will not be able to get back to this. Perhaps tomorrow before I go. But will return to see the pathetic attempts where atheists claim that they can have morals and they don't kill because of XYZ. Wow, 

Now don't do what your nature does. Don't ignore the challenge by asking me about my system. I have already answered this on numerous occasions, but atheists do this to avoid the question often. Have guts and honestly look at this.

The only standard is yourself, which is the very definition of ego-centricism and selfishness. Atheists by definition only think of themselves. They are like babies constantly waiting for the spoon to feed them.

So make your case, if only logically possible.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15756
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Jean Chauvin

Sapient wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:

Were your parents atheists? Were you raised in an atheist church? Why did you become an atheist? For real. Were you raised in the Christian church, then shacked up with some guy, thus the morals went first then the doctrine. And now atheism justifies your sin and God is not accountable to your wickedness. Is that about how it went?

For me it was after I started murdering abortion clinic doctors and molesting little boys.  Oh wait, that's you... never mind.

You did far worse. You gave an account of the NFL without their permission.


 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


El-ahrairah
atheist
El-ahrairah's picture
Posts: 62
Joined: 2010-10-21
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Awww,

butterbattle wrote:

Awww, dammit!

I'm so sorry, El. I was going to quote your post, but I accidentally hit edit and posted over it. *sob* Moderator fail. It looked like you put some work into that one too.

Anyways, what I was going to do was to add to your post by noting that just hating someone isn't a hate crime anyways. You have to commit a real crime like assault or murder against someone because of some group they're affiliated with, not just thoughtcrime.

Edit: Omg, I still have the unrefreshed page on a different window. Hahahahaha. I'll quote you.

Thanks! And that's a good point, I should have added that.

I'm waiting, Jean.

"The Aim of an Argument...should not be victory, but progress."
-Joseph Joubert (1754-1824)

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed."
-Richard Adams, Watership Down, 1972


GodlessMonk
atheist
GodlessMonk's picture
Posts: 58
Joined: 2009-11-23
User is offlineOffline
Just a couple of notes

Nothing that'll help anyone:

1. I can't help but wonder if Jean's avatar picture is cropped to delete the image of the a cop frisking him.

2. I don't think giving him a "troll" badge will scare him off.  I think he'll probably leave all on his own thinking he's "won".

3. I'd LOVE to see what he's like in person.  He probably thinks he's charming and witty.

4. Jean said he was moving, but he kept posting.  Priorities, huh?

5. Dude needs a modern dictionary.  He obviously doesn't understand words like "moral", or "respect" or "acting like a complete mook".  ESL?

6. We have to find and isolate these "Our Lady of Hate and Intolerance" churches.  They're gonna be the death of us all.

7. Taking HUGE leaps in faith is normal for this guy, so why are people surprised that he can take such HUGE leaps in logical fallacy as well?  (I think, therefore God exists!  Mmm hmm!)

8. I don't commit murder because I have too few nice clothes and blood is a bitch to wash out.

9. I think it's nice that there are facilities and people to help the differently abled with basic computer skills.  Don't you?  Just sayin'.

10. "A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are. "  Any other theists want to hand him a cookie and tell him to go sit in the corner?

 

Robb

"The general opinion is not always the perfect truth..."
- Giordano Bruno


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
GodlessMonk wrote:8. I don't

GodlessMonk wrote:

8. I don't commit murder because I have too few nice clothes and blood is a bitch to wash out.

 

Robb

 

A little assistance here.  A capful of ammonia - the kind you buy in the grocery store on the household cleaners aisle - added to the wash water will remove all blood stains.  Follow with a 1/4 cup or so of plain white vinegar in the rinse water, and you won't be able to smell it.

There - no excuse for not murdering that annoying neighbor. 

edit: corrected spelling - sigh.

 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


GodlessMonk
atheist
GodlessMonk's picture
Posts: 58
Joined: 2009-11-23
User is offlineOffline
Well, damn!

Now there's NOTHIN' TA STOP MAH!

 

Robb


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15756
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
GodlessMonk wrote:Now

GodlessMonk wrote:

Now there's NOTHIN' TA STOP MAH!

 

Robb

Luminall and prison sex. And that pesky conscience.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Hell Beasties!!

Jean Chauvin wrote:
I have a desire to do good... Just like you have a desire to be immoral and be a heathen.

Holy Jesus I almost just peed my pants. This guy is awesome!

I'm with you guys, I think this guy is the best Poe ever. No one can actually be this insane and still be able to use a computer. Don't truly religious psychotics like this fear technology as the ju-ju of the Horned Hell Beastie?


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote: Jean

marcusfish wrote:

Jean Chauvin wrote:
I have a desire to do good... Just like you have a desire to be immoral and be a heathen.

Holy Jesus I almost just peed my pants. This guy is awesome!

I'm with you guys, I think this guy is the best Poe ever. No one can actually be this insane and still be able to use a computer. Don't truly religious psychotics like this fear technology as the ju-ju of the Horned Hell Beastie?

Hahahahahahahaha!

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
I tend to agree with CJ

I tend to agree with CJ about the self esteem issues. The cut downs, name calling, insisting they are right, and they even become whiny because we won't buy into all this and say they'll pray for us because god put it in their hearts to. A guilt trip more or less. All signs of self esteem problems. Here's a therapist I would recomend Jean, though I don't even know that this one could get through to you.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA

 

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson wrote:I

rebecca.williamson wrote:

I tend to agree with CJ about the self esteem issues. The cut downs, name calling, insisting they are right, and they even become whiny because we won't buy into all this and say they'll pray for us because god put it in their hearts to. A guilt trip more or less. All signs of self esteem problems. Here's a therapist I would recomend Jean, though I don't even know that this one could get through to you.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA

 

There have been several people that I have debated with over the years that have been very civil. BUT, oddly enough, when I made some mention of their attitude they would always smile and say "My religion says I must be loving" or even more creepy "God demands that I be nice to you".

It always makes me wonder. Are they telling me that they are being nice, just because it is supposedly dictated to them to do so ? Are they saying that if their religion did NOT teach them to be nice to unbelievers, that they would be cruel, aggresive and probably very dangerous ? Always kinda disturbs me when I hear people say stuff like "Well, the good lord wants us to be kind to others". Always makes me wonder if that is the ONLY reason why they are choosing to do so.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
Posts: 1868
Joined: 2008-01-25
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:There

harleysportster wrote:

There have been several people that I have debated with over the years that have been very civil. BUT, oddly enough, when I made some mention of their attitude they would always smile and say "My religion says I must be loving" or even more creepy "God demands that I be nice to you".

It always makes me wonder. Are they telling me that they are being nice, just because it is supposedly dictated to them to do so ? Are they saying that if their religion did NOT teach them to be nice to unbelievers, that they would be cruel, aggresive and probably very dangerous ? Always kinda disturbs me when I hear people say stuff like "Well, the good lord wants us to be kind to others". Always makes me wonder if that is the ONLY reason why they are choosing to do so.

I suspect in most cases, they are just trying to provide a testimonial. They wish you to think their kind disposition is due to their religion, when in fact it is simply because they are nice by nature.

It always comes down to this: that which is good, attribute to the Lord. That which is bad is the devil's work.

I fucking hate that good people can't take credit for being good, simply because they believe in God.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers


harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
Posts: 3359
Joined: 2010-10-17
User is offlineOffline
I agree

nigelTheBold wrote:

It always comes down to this: that which is good, attribute to the Lord. That which is bad is the devil's work.

I fucking hate that good people can't take credit for being good, simply because they believe in God.

I actually had a family member tell me one time " I hope I never learn to think for myself, cause I would be so lost without God".

Just like so many people that I encounter, both in my family and outside, that constantly degrade themselves for everything that they do and are always professing how vile and unworthy that they  are in the eyes of god.

Hell, it took me years before I could get  past the irrational fear that I was just inherently some evil monster for having natural desires and thoughts.

One of my main reasons for disliking religion so much is the simple fact that people live in a world of self-hatred for themselves while simultaneously believing that the universe revolves around them.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

I tend to agree with CJ about the self esteem issues. The cut downs, name calling, insisting they are right, and they even become whiny because we won't buy into all this and say they'll pray for us because god put it in their hearts to. A guilt trip more or less. All signs of self esteem problems. Here's a therapist I would recomend Jean, though I don't even know that this one could get through to you.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA

 

There have been several people that I have debated with over the years that have been very civil. BUT, oddly enough, when I made some mention of their attitude they would always smile and say "My religion says I must be loving" or even more creepy "God demands that I be nice to you".

It always makes me wonder. Are they telling me that they are being nice, just because it is supposedly dictated to them to do so ? Are they saying that if their religion did NOT teach them to be nice to unbelievers, that they would be cruel, aggresive and probably very dangerous ? Always kinda disturbs me when I hear people say stuff like "Well, the good lord wants us to be kind to others". Always makes me wonder if that is the ONLY reason why they are choosing to do so.

 

I think this is one of historical functions of religion to keep aggressive people in obedience to the rulers.  If believers tell us that for them there would be no morals without religion, I don't see why we shouldn't believe them.  Unfortunately, it will take generations (if ever) to safely remove religion from human live. 


nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
Posts: 1868
Joined: 2008-01-25
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster wrote:One of

harleysportster wrote:

One of my main reasons for disliking religion so much is the simple fact that people live in a world of self-hatred for themselves while simultaneously believing that the universe revolves around them.

Great Grotty Grue. This right here sums up all that is vile about Christianity. This dichotomy is intrinsic to almost every debate you will ever have with a Christian, and the cause of almost every vile thing a Christian will propose.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

I tend to agree with CJ about the self esteem issues. The cut downs, name calling, insisting they are right, and they even become whiny because we won't buy into all this and say they'll pray for us because god put it in their hearts to. A guilt trip more or less. All signs of self esteem problems. Here's a therapist I would recomend Jean, though I don't even know that this one could get through to you.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA

 

There have been several people that I have debated with over the years that have been very civil. BUT, oddly enough, when I made some mention of their attitude they would always smile and say "My religion says I must be loving" or even more creepy "God demands that I be nice to you".

It always makes me wonder. Are they telling me that they are being nice, just because it is supposedly dictated to them to do so ? Are they saying that if their religion did NOT teach them to be nice to unbelievers, that they would be cruel, aggresive and probably very dangerous ? Always kinda disturbs me when I hear people say stuff like "Well, the good lord wants us to be kind to others". Always makes me wonder if that is the ONLY reason why they are choosing to do so.

That's exactly what it is. Only some say that while doing hideous things that people aren't aware of til it's too late. I know a guy who claims to this day to be a christian but 9 years ago was accused of child molestation from two different little girls. Of course he said he didn't do it but one I know for a fact did. The sick part is his wife stood by him because it's "the christian thing to do" and 2 years later had another baby with him. Turned out the baby was a girl so she'll find out soon enough. Of course unless it scared him bad enough that he realized that most kids end up telling someone. This is why I say some people need christianity because it keeps them in line but the flip side is that for some, there's no help at all.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
I'm First

harleysportster wrote:
Just like so many people that I encounter, both in my family and outside, that constantly degrade themselves for everything that they do and are always professing how vile and unworthy that they  are in the eyes of god.

Isn't the new thing "I'm Second"? I have seen giant billboards with that on there, my girlfriend had to explain to me what it actually meant.

Wonder which Christian bone nugget came up with that one.


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:Isn't the

marcusfish wrote:
Isn't the new thing "I'm Second"?

"I Am Second", that's it.

 http://www.iamsecond.com/

Unfortunately this is one heck of a slogan and I suspect it will be incredibly successful in recruiting new young Xians.

 


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
marcusfish wrote:marcusfish

marcusfish wrote:

marcusfish wrote:
Isn't the new thing "I'm Second"?

"I Am Second", that's it.

 http://www.iamsecond.com/

Unfortunately this is one heck of a slogan and I suspect it will be incredibly successful in recruiting new young Xians.

 

 

The website says it is for drug addicts.

 


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist

100percentAtheist wrote:

marcusfish wrote:

marcusfish wrote:
Isn't the new thing "I'm Second"?

"I Am Second", that's it.

 http://www.iamsecond.com/

Unfortunately this is one heck of a slogan and I suspect it will be incredibly successful in recruiting new young Xians.

 

 

The website says it is for drug addicts.

 

Yep. You trade in a drug addiction for a God addiction. Still not sure which is less harmful...

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


GodlessMonk
atheist
GodlessMonk's picture
Posts: 58
Joined: 2009-11-23
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Yep. You

jcgadfly wrote:

Yep. You trade in a drug addiction for a God addiction. Still not sure which is less harmful...

Well, drug addiction is harmful to yourself and others around you.  It causes you to lie to others as well as yourself.   You are often out of touch with reality.  It makes you spend a ton of money on it and turns you into a babbling idiot after too much exposure.  Pretty soon the only other people that want to be around you are other addicts...

Hmm.

Never mind. 

 

Robb

"The general opinion is not always the perfect truth..."
- Giordano Bruno