Been having problems with my computer lately.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Been having problems with my computer lately.

After a bought with a virus I finally got removed, the past couple of days I have not been able to post on ANY website. My ability to post is back, exept for THIS website.

The only reason you are reading this post here is because I am not posting it from my computer, but my mom's computer.

In all this my settings have gotten fucked up and I think my computer settings are conflicting with my firefox settings which aslo have been changed as a result of this odesy.

I tried downloading the newest version of Firefox but I am running xp on an old computer and it is telling me that the new version doesn't match my old system.

So untill I can figure out how to make my font and or java settings match my search engine settings I wont be able to post here and am only limited to reading and can only post at my mom's place until I figure out how to fix this.

I'll tell you this, I am really getting tired of PCs and if Bill Gates were in front of me now I would cuss his ass out for putting out such crappy crap.

So if anyone is wondering why I haven't posted, this is why. So as far as my comeback webcast, it is on hold until I can fix this mess permanantly.

I HATE WINDOWS AND I HATE BILL GATES!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:After a bought

Brian37 wrote:

After a bought with a virus I finally got removed, the past couple of days I have not been able to post on ANY website. My ability to post is back, exept for THIS website.

The only reason you are reading this post here is because I am not posting it from my computer, but my mom's computer.

In all this my settings have gotten fucked up and I think my computer settings are conflicting with my firefox settings which aslo have been changed as a result of this odesy.

I tried downloading the newest version of Firefox but I am running xp on an old computer and it is telling me that the new version doesn't match my old system.

So untill I can figure out how to make my font and or java settings match my search engine settings I wont be able to post here and am only limited to reading and can only post at my mom's place until I figure out how to fix this.

I'll tell you this, I am really getting tired of PCs and if Bill Gates were in front of me now I would cuss his ass out for putting out such crappy crap.

So if anyone is wondering why I haven't posted, this is why. So as far as my comeback webcast, it is on hold until I can fix this mess permanantly.

Sorry to hear this Brian.

You are not alone hating Windows and its CREATOR.  But, Apple is a cult. Smiling And Linux is just another type of cult.  So no light in a sight.

Now you can install Microsoft antivirus for free that helps.  It works for XP.

Also, use Chrome or Explorer.  I had recently many troubles with the Firefox and completely removed it from all my machines. 

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist wrote:

100percentAtheist wrote:
But, Apple is a cult. Smiling

Is not !

You covet my powerbook, dontcha ? Yeah, I see you there....coveting.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I'll tell you

Brian37 wrote:

This is the price we pay for having Youtube (running on Adobe Flash) and USB connection. And for compatibility in general.
Compatibility is like promiscuity. It feels damn good, but you have to use rubber all the time, to be somewhat protected from STDs. Would you rather prefer the chaste nun of Mac, that never gets connected with anyone beyond the walls of Apple cloister?
What is your antivirus solution? Did you surf any suspicious web pages? What did you do? I never had such a serious problem with virus.

I use the free Microsoft security essentials, it's not bad and so far it caught all viruses that I brought home.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I HATE WINDOWS

Brian37 wrote:

ROFLMAO! Rage against the machine....

You could try Linux... I'm shameless....

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse

Anonymouse wrote:

100percentAtheist wrote:
But, Apple is a cult. Smiling

Is not !

You covet my powerbook, dontcha ? Yeah, I see you there....coveting.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
100percentAtheist wrote:You

100percentAtheist wrote:

You are not alone hating Windows and its CREATOR.  But, Apple is a cult. Smiling And Linux is just another type of cult.  So no light in a sight.

Well, some fanbois have a cultish aspect to them (from all three camps -- admit it, there are MS-Windows fanbois, and they are the most desperate of all, like a Starlost fan at a Star Trek convention). In the long run, though, it really depends on what you value.

Linux (and BSD -- why does everyone forget BSD?) is for those who value flexibility and freedom, at the cost of the occasional pain in the ass (though far less frequently than in years past -- thanks, Ubuntu!). OS X is for those who value simplicity, with the flexibility of Unix, at the cost of, well, cost. The hardware isn't much more expensive than similarly-equipped hardware (though not similarly engineered -- Macs are extremely well designed, though specific laptop models occasionally suffer from heating issues) from, say, Dell, but Dell definitely has cheaper options. Also, there's the possibility that Apple is becoming draconian in its control of the market. (This is true for the iPhone, but considering how tied down the cell phone app market was before, Apple has been downright liberating.) The proof of Apple's intentions will be whether or not they start locking down their general-purpose computers. At the moment, Apple has done nothing as bad as Microsoft has done in the past, so dismissing a Mac choice as a cult is an ad hominem. (You might also choose an Apple computer if you luuuuuuv Steve Jobs. Ewww.) (The Woz is more my type.)

MS-Windows is for those who wish to have the cheaper hardware and don't want to fuck around with Linux or BSD (why does everyone forget BSD?), or there's an application they need that only runs on MS-Windows (and can't comfortably be run inside a VM -- say, a game or something), or they really luuuuuv Bill Gates (ewww) (Paul Allen is more my type), or they want to get a job at an all-MS shop and want to learn their way around the system, or something along those lines. (There are probably other objective reasons to choose MS-Windows, but I can't think of them.)

So really, the choice is not so simple, when you decide to choose. The fact that some fanbois act out in cultish behavior does not negate the quality, simplicity (in the case of Apple), flexibility and power (in the case of Linux), or overall satisfaction of using a particular OS.

Quote:

Now you can install Microsoft antivirus for free that helps.  It works for XP.

Also, use Chrome or Explorer.  I had recently many troubles with the Firefox and completely removed it from all my machines.  

I'd go for Chrome. Explorer is getting better, but lags behind Chrome and Safari and Opera in terms of standards support and performance. Chrome has some downsides (why the fuck don't the formatting keybindings work on RSS?), but is generally very fast and very accurate. Plus, it has an excellent suite of web developer tools built right in.

Of course, all of this is my opinion. I could be wrong. Or drunk. Or both.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, Bill Gates is such a

Yeah, Bill Gates is such a Jerk. 

First he puts out a product that owns apple because it was more open and accessible- AKA slutty software- which is what the market demanded for its unprecedented growth- and allowed the modern technological age to come to the fore (which must be evil for some reason)

Next he uses capitalistic principles to make oodles of cash, and then has the audacity to give most of it away to charity.  Man, what a jerk- the least he could do it hoard it so he'd be consistently evil.  He's doing it on purpose, of course- the only reason he gives most of his money away is because he's a jerk and wants to buy good PR.  What a loser.

Then he "retires" from managing Microsoft, as he hasn't been CEO for a decade, so that he can pretend that he's not responsible for anything Microsoft does while spending all of his time on "charity"- while in reality for the past ten years he's been secretly controlling Steve Ballmer (CEO of Microsoft) from behind the scenes and forcing Steve (AKA Beelzebub) to make inferior software despite the complexity of operating systems being such that it's nearly impossible to fix or improve upon the existing infrastructure and still support essential backwards compatibility (but never mind, that's certainly Bill's fault too, since he invented computers he could have made them magically work instead of being prone to information glut and limits of human code comprehension- he totally did that on purpose and not because it was the only possible way to do it at the time- man, what a jerk).

Finally he realizes that people aren't being fooled by his PR scam of giving away his riches, and he rallies together the world's richest people and convinces them all to do the same thing, signing some evil charity donation blood pact, so people won't notice what a jerk Bill is for being one of the only rich people ever to give so much money to humanitarian charities.  Now that he's anonymous again and has convinces people that it's normal for rich people to give their money away, he can work all of his evil without anybody being the wiser.

Man, what a jerk he is...

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Blake, thanks for saying

Blake, thanks for saying what was on my mind.  Although I might have added, if it wasn't for him all of us likely wouldn't have met.  

http://www.celebatheists.com/wiki/Bill_Gates

Brian, download google chrome!  

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:The proof

nigelTheBold wrote:

The proof of Apple's intentions will be whether or not they start locking down their general-purpose computers. At the moment, Apple has done nothing as bad as Microsoft has done in the past, so dismissing a Mac choice as a cult is an ad hominem. (You might also choose an Apple computer if you luuuuuuv Steve Jobs. Ewww.) (The Woz is more my type.)
Mac is a tool of separation and lies, very cultish. Steve Jobs is a macbook thumper, he says his is the only thing that can use HTML5 (which is not true with new Firefox) and you can get to a sample HTML5 page on his website only if you use Safari. (well, directly) Furthermore, he accuses the Flash video of being too consuming for resources, heating the computer and therefore he doesn't support it. This is not true too, the new Flash standard is much more efficient, even though it can play HD video.
Add to it the mentioned lack of USB cables (making your USB devices useless) and the result is a senselessly aggressive policy. Even the applications written for Mac must be approved to be distributed by iSomething. The rules are not clear at all, but you can be sure that go-arounds to support Flash (and Youtube) aren't approved.

By the way, I recently wanted to see some reasons to get Apple, I went on the website, and the Quicktime videos didn't work. I had installed Quicktime Alternative. I put it away and installed the original, newest Quicktime. Still didn't work! Perhaps I need Mac to learn the reasons why Mac is better Smiling

nigelTheBold wrote:
MS-Windows is for those who wish to have the cheaper hardware and don't want to fuck around with Linux or BSD (why does everyone forget BSD?), or there's an application they need that only runs on MS-Windows (and can't comfortably be run inside a VM -- say, a game or something), or they really luuuuuv Bill Gates (ewww) (Paul Allen is more my type), or they want to get a job at an all-MS shop and want to learn their way around the system, or something along those lines. (There are probably other objective reasons to choose MS-Windows, but I can't think of them.)
These are objective reasons. Then there's a plenty subjective reasons, like... I grew up with Windows, the system seems to like me and causes me less problems than other people around say it causes. It's sort of a Tamagotchi relationship Smiling

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never realized how much

I never realized how much fun Mac bashing was until I started doing it. . I suppose I started doing it because Windows bashing got old.....

The great thing about Linux is that if you don't like the cult, you can switch -- or even better make your OWN cult. Woo Hoo!

But anyways....

I pretty much agree with Nigel about the merits of Linux and BSD...but it come at a cost. Linux as an installed OS is great, and finding useful software to do common task is easy, but specialty software can be hard to find, but I think one has wot weigh the options anytime one is considering an OS....

I know this is probably a dumb question, but have you tried uninstalling FF completely and deleting the application settings in your windows profile? If you open your computer and type in "%appdata%" into the location bar, you should see a list of folders. Nuke (or just rename) the Mozilla folder there. Then select "%appdata%\..\Local" for 7 or Vista or "%appdata%\..\Local Settings\Application Data" for XP and do the same thing there... This nukes all of the Mozilla Turds laying around....

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Good point

Good point Sapient,

ubuntuAnyone wrote:

I know this is probably a dumb question, but have you tried uninstalling FF completely and deleting the application settings in your windows profile? If you open your computer and type in "%appdata%" into the location bar, you should see a list of folders. Nuke (or just rename) the Mozilla folder there. Then select "%appdata%\..\Local" for 7 or Vista or "%appdata%\..\Local Settings\Application Data" for XP and do the same thing there... This nukes all of the Mozilla Turds laying around....

I think he's worried he can't find the right version to install (since his Windows version is old?)

He should be able to find the version he's using to re-install, though.

OP:  Just type in the exact version name into Google, you'll find it floating around out there still.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian, all the bashing

Brian, all the bashing aside, if you want an older version of firefox, get the TOR browser bundle.  It comes with version 1.3.12.

There are a bunch of other tools in there that you may never use but it will be an old copy of firefox.  Also, it can be installed to a  thumb drive and carried around with you in case you end up on a computer with another browser that you really don't like one bit.

http://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=