Greetings from Italy (overseas military)

atheistannie
atheist
atheistannie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings from Italy (overseas military)

I was watching a debate between the Rational Response Squad and Kirk Cameron online and had no idea about you guys before today, so I'm really excited to find you have a website and forums Smiling My husband and I are currently living overseas in Italy and feel isolated where we live at the moment. All the families we have met in the past six years have all been religious and we haven't been able to have a rational conversation in YEARS with people surrounding us.... We haven't been 'home' in almost seven years. We would love to meet other like-minded people to chat with! So... greetings everyone Smiling

Ann

"Only sheep need a shepherd" - anonymous ?

"Under Christianity neither morality nor religion has any point of contact with actuality. It offers purely imaginary causes and purely imaginary effects" - Nietzsche

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

It is always nice to greet a new member. I'm in southern Ontario, myself, near Toronto. Have you ever been to Canada?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

atheistannie
atheist
atheistannie's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Just to Victoria when I

Just to Victoria when I was a younger child, someday maybe I'll see more! I'm originally from Washington State, so kinda close Smiling

"Under Christianity neither morality nor religion has any point of contact with actuality. It offers purely imaginary causes and purely imaginary effects" - Nietzsche

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome.I'm from way-y

Welcome.

I'm from way-y south, Australia.

Although I have visited both Italy (Vinci, Florence, Pisa, Padua, Venice), and the US, and touched Canada at Niagara Falls...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

sidekick
sidekick's picture
User is offlineOffline
hi! i'm new here, too, but

hi! i'm new here, too, but its already great.  i just moved to california from washington state, my husband is also military.  when i was military i made it to japan and south america a few times but never italy, always wanted to go, mostly to see the art.  originally from minnesota, town of population 200 with 3 churches, but people mostly saved their religion for sunday.  anyway, welcome!

btw, kirk cameron has totally ruined reruns of growing pains for me.

I know the answer! The answer lies in the heart of all mankind!...The answer is 12? I think I'm in the wrong building. --Charles M. Schulz

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome aboard Annie, glad

Welcome aboard Annie, glad you liked the debate!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi

My son is in the Air Force and was stationed on the heel of the boot in Italy during the Bosnia mess.  He spent christmas there and said it was really boring.  Way too religious for him.  But he also said there was a topless beach just a few miles down the road which made up for it.  He was TDY so was only there for a few months.  He also spent time in England before the base there was closed.  He says the English really do up christmas right.  He is now in South Korea.

Me, I'm in Portland, OR.  Have relatives in Spokane, we lived there ourselves for a year, then in Ritzville and Ephrata for a few years before moving here.  Originally I'm from Yuma AZ, but I love the rain here.

Welcome and have fun, post early and often.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hello. Welcome to the

Hello. Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey there, Annie.

Welcome. We have a bit of a global village going on here.

Don't worry about the italians and their faith. They never got over their roman idolatry. 

Jesus would be very unhappy.

Look forward to seeing you around.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

atheistannie
atheist
atheistannie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you all for the warm

Thank you all for the warm welcomes! :D 

I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone on here etc.!!

atheistannie
atheist
atheistannie's picture
User is offlineOffline
sidekick wrote:hi! i'm new

sidekick wrote:

hi! i'm new here, too, but its already great.  i just moved to california from washington state, my husband is also military.  when i was military i made it to japan and south america a few times but never italy, always wanted to go, mostly to see the art.  originally from minnesota, town of population 200 with 3 churches, but people mostly saved their religion for sunday.  anyway, welcome!

btw, kirk cameron has totally ruined reruns of growing pains for me.

I'm originally from Washington State! Where were you guys stationed at ? I was from the Kitsap Peninsula area Smiling 

I was so frustrated watching that debate, I was wishing I was there and could yell at Kirk Cameron and that other guy... There was one instance where he was asked a direct question regarding cancer and kept avoiding it over and over and over... I was so not surprised.. lol and the crocoduck ? wtf ????? I think he's INSANE!

atheistannie
atheist
atheistannie's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:My son is in the

cj wrote:

My son is in the Air Force and was stationed on the heel of the boot in Italy during the Bosnia mess.  He spent christmas there and said it was really boring.  Way too religious for him.  But he also said there was a topless beach just a few miles down the road which made up for it.  He was TDY so was only there for a few months.  He also spent time in England before the base there was closed.  He says the English really do up christmas right.  He is now in South Korea.

Me, I'm in Portland, OR.  Have relatives in Spokane, we lived there ourselves for a year, then in Ritzville and Ephrata for a few years before moving here.  Originally I'm from Yuma AZ, but I love the rain here.

Welcome and have fun, post early and often.

Italy is boring, I don't want to badmouth the place, but the area we live in is very dirty and the driving is a mess lol  I hope to see England before we leave.. 

I wish I was back on that side of the states! Originally from the Kitsap Peninsula area in WA State, so I love the rain myself.. and the cold and grey skies Eye-wink

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
atheistannie wrote:Italy is

atheistannie wrote:

Italy is boring, I don't want to badmouth the place, but the area we live in is very dirty and the driving is a mess lol  I hope to see England before we leave.. 

I wish I was back on that side of the states! Originally from the Kitsap Peninsula area in WA State, so I love the rain myself.. and the cold and grey skies Eye-wink

You would love today.  Rain from Vancouver, Canada to Salem, OR.  No rain at my house this exact instance, but no cloud breaks in sight and I think it is going to start raining soon.  Strong wind and chilly, too.  Hurrah for fresh coffee and a warm home.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Annie!I seem to

Welcome, Annie!

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Italy (or maybe Rome) is a lot less actively religious than it may appear. Although most people identify as Christian, actually very few attend churches anymore. I could be mistaken, but I think it was Italy. It's possible I'm thinking of Spain, tho. Wish I could find that link.

Maybe there's a free-thought/atheist/humanist group near you? Might be a long-shot, but you never know.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Come è il tuo

Come è il tuo italiano?

http://www.uaar.it/

C'è un forum qui:

http://forum.uaar.it/

(Sembra invisibile a meno che si registra)

Too Italian/didn't read:

Welcome to the RRS!

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard

If your surrounded by religious people and wishing for some Atheist interaction, you have certainly come to the right place. Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
atheistannie wrote:I'm

atheistannie wrote:

I'm originally from Washington State! Where were you guys stationed at ? I was from the Kitsap Peninsula area Smiling 

I'm Chinese, was born in China, but I've been living near Seattle for over a decade. It's pretty nice here.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Come è il tuo

Blake wrote:

Come è il tuo italiano?

C'è un forum qui:

Too Italian/didn't read:

Welcome to the RRS!

On this board we speak AMERICAN

atheistannie
atheist
atheistannie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Blake

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Blake wrote:

Come è il tuo italiano?

C'è un forum qui:

Too Italian/didn't read:

Welcome to the RRS!

On this board we speak AMERICAN

hehe They speak 'Neapolitan' in this area, so we never bothered to learn any Italian! hehe From what I understand sometimes other Italians have no idea what they are saying here because of the difference in the dialect. 

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
atheistannie wrote:hehe They

atheistannie wrote:

hehe They speak 'Neapolitan' in this area, so we never bothered to learn any Italian!

Oh, well then...

Strawberry strawberry vanilla, chocolate vanilla chocolate strawberry.  (My ice cream dialect is a bit rusty)

I was just saying, that site is good- atheists, agnostics, and rational thinkers in Italy.  You can register for the forums there and they should be visible.  You should be able to post in English and just ask if anybody know about any gatherings near you, or if anybody is near for a card game night or whatever.  Most educated Italians speak English (which will mean a huge overlap with atheists), so it should be hard to find interesting people in your area, no matter how isolated.

And of course, we're always good for some interesting conversation here too.

Jean Chauvin
Theistard
Jean Chauvin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi atheistannie

Hi AtheistAnnie,

I'm a hardcore Christian. If you are in Italy, you are probably surrounded by Roman Catholics. If you'd like, I can document the paganism of Roman Catholicism. Let's start with the host. They eat their Jesus, and then their Jesus turns into poop. That's a false Jesus.

I'm here as a public service announcement.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

A Rational Christian of Intelligence (rare)with a valid and sound justification for my epistemology and a logical refutation for those with logical fallacies and false worldviews upon their normative of thinking in retrospect to objective normative(s). This is only understood via the imago dei in which we all are.

Respectfully,

Jean Chauvin (Jude 3).

luca
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Noone cares but...

I'm sorry to hear these things about Italy, even when it's true. And you can guess what italians think about american bases...

Also, this should be the first messace of JC... so cuddly