Hi, fellow athiests

astrosurfer
User is offlineOffline
Hi, fellow athiests

I am new to the forum. I love this place already.

Quick info about me....

Born in Scotland, UK. 1968.

Now living in Louisiana, USA since 2000.

I have known from an early age that there could not possibly exist this GOD most people speak of. I have protested it my whole life. I pretty much just laugh any time anyone wants to drill me with belief or religion and tell them that there are lots of other books that tell stories and that I am happy for them but they are believing in something that is not real...LOL

I've found that they also do not like that and thus the FANATIC rares it'd ugly head.

If I had a buck for every person who told me "Oh yeah you'll find out one day...blah blah..."

I frequently browse through STUMBLE and have read a whole bunch of stuff that has solidified my thoughts and shown me that I am not alone here. Everyone, and I mean everyone I know believes in their deity....has been this way my whole life...alone in my knowledge like you guys. There is one guy I know who says he doesn't believe but I'm not sure how true that is because he's not like me at all.

I'm tired of the way theists look at me like I'm some sort of lower class idiot. While most of the time I could add their IQ's together and still not equal mine.

I'm excited that there is actually this forum for us too. I am a member of lots of forums online and now feel like I may have found a home for those times when I've heard enough bible thumping for one day.

Sadly my wife is a devout christian and also has a bad habit of going that same fanatical way in GOD discussions (theists just can't help themselves I've concluded). So we don't talk about the subject much, however I do have to butt in sometimes to let her know that I've seen or heard enough thump.

Besides our FAITHS everything else is hunky dory.

Well enough about all that eh...

I look forward to joining in some of the topics however I'm more of a reader at times and get a kick out of other peoples rantings.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum,

Welcome to the forum, astrosurfer.

Feel free to use this forum as your open-minded oasis.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Scotland to Louisiana?  That is some trip.  I went from Yuma, AZ to Portland, OR.  Not half as far as you did.

Join the fun - post early and often.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome

Welcome aboard. Think you'll love it here.

Now, I don't want to be held responsible for landing you in divorce court or anything, but I wonder if your wife would consider reading some of this ? Granted, people who are strong in their faiths generally do not like to have that faith challenged and can get very defensive when it happens, but some well thought out arguments might give her something to at least THINK about. Not that I am suggesting that you go try that, mind you, you know your own personal life better than I.

Enjoy your stay.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey welcome.I have also

Hey welcome.

I have also never taken the religious crap seriously, but I do live in an environment where religion is not as all-pervading as you describe, although it was more of a thing when I was growing up.

Thankfully my father was not religious, and my mother was only conventionally, socially religious.

I do have some significant Scottish ancestry, as suggested by my family name, Spence.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology