Happy Carl Sagan Day U-all.I need someone to help me write a letter to the family that donated my new Liver

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Happy Carl Sagan Day U-all.I need someone to help me write a letter to the family that donated my new Liver

what does one say in my situation,your lost is my gain,Thanks

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Was it a partial liver

Was it a partial liver transplant (living donation), or did someone pass away?

In either case, focus on expressing gratitude, hope, good will, etc. How has this donation improved your quality of life? What do you hope to do with the extra health you've been given? How do you feel about the fact that there are people in the world who are good enough to donate for the sake of others? Etc.

I think the family of someone deceased would want to know that even in death, their family member has helped to make the world better for someone else. Something like that. Just go with your gut and show it to a couple people before you send it, if you're worried about saying something off-putting.

BTW: Glad to hear the news! Hope your recovery goes well. Smiling

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you know the people

and are you able to contact them? I thought this was off-limits.

In the event a simple thanks would be enough. They'd readily see new meaning in their loss.

Take care, Ken.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:and

Atheistextremist wrote:

and are you able to contact them? I thought this was off-limits.

I believe that contact information is not given, but that the organization itself can act as a proxy to convey a thank-you letter.

I'd keep it simple.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:contact info not given.

That's right,I write the letter then give it  to my liver Doctor who then hands it over to the National Transplantation Organization who thengives it to the family of the donor.

Signature ? How ?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:    That's

Ken G. wrote:

That's right,I write the letter then give it  to my liver Doctor who then hands it over to the National Transplantation Organization who thengives it to the family of the donor.

One of the most important questions to ask would be this:  How much do they know about you?

If you really wanted to make them feel good about it, and they don't know anything at all about you, you could always write it very poorly in crayon and draw a little picture.  They might think it's some little kid and be all heart-warmed and such "Thank U 4 my new liver.  I <3 U." ...

At least, that would be easier than trying to think of something appropriate to say as an adult.

Not something I'd do, but maybe still an option.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well Ken, I feel even

Well Ken, I feel even farther removed from the matter than you are. Still, I would want to know if it was a full liver that you got.

In that case, I would start by passing on my condolences for their loss. I don't think that anyone can know the grief of another. However, we can all know that whatever they are dealing with, the situation sucks.

Having lost both of my parents many years ago, I would tell them that it is not a good thing to try to “get over it”. They can't. The person is gone. They can find whatever comfort they can but that will not change the fact that they can do no more than to accept that the world is a whole lot smaller for them than it used to be.

Once you get past that part, then you can give them your thanks for the gift which you received. Trust me on this bit: They will not understand it anymore that I can understand how you feel over the matter. I would assume that you are happy with the situation but it should be fairly obvious that I can't really know how you feel.

Perhaps you could end it on a note of: “I can't fathom what you have to deal with. However, the gift which I have received is of a measure that few will ever know. For that the depth of my thanks can know no feeling that words can express”.

On the other hand, if it was a partial liver and the dude is still alive, then the letter would have to be very different.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene...wrote:was it a full liv

Hi Gene ! Thanks for the words of wisdom,I think that I will use that line " I can't fathom what you are dealing with,However............etc.  O'yeah, by the way it was a full liver from a 53 years old dude that died.   

Signature ? How ?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken, glad I could help.  

Ken, glad I could help.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=