ancient aliens

sbowman1983
atheist
User is offlineOffline
ancient aliens

If this has been discussed before somewhere else here, I'm sorry for reposting. I'm on a blackberry and it takes forever to read each topic. But everywhere I've looked I haven't seen anything.

Anyways, I just wanted to know what people think of this. Do you think it makes sense? Do you think there is significant evidence to support it?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I've never seen anything

I've never seen anything convincing.  Some ancient stuff is strange, no doubt, but you have to try pretty hard to make aliens the most likely explanation.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes it has been, and posting

Yes it has been, and posting it again wont make this conspiracy superstition any more real because of doing such.

Biology exists on this planet because the building blocks (atoms) that make up carbon based life(DNA) were contributed(separately) by natural bombardments of all sorts of cosmic elements that hit the planet over billions of years.

But there were no Mayan or Egyptian little green men who planted DNA here. That conspiracy crap is the same as Big Foot and Loc Ness and is as credible as Ouija Boards and Thor making lighting.

It is most likely that things like comets were what contributed water to the planet, but also the fluctuating climate change also contributed. The atoms that make up DNA did not plant themselves here already assembled but just like oxygen is not the only thing hydrogen bonds to, the atoms that make up DNA are also atoms of other non life, non-DNA things too.

Just like a wheel is not always associated with a car, a wheel can also be part of a bike or wheel barrel. It is still a wheel.

Anyone trying to sell you little green men theory might as well be selling you Jesus or Allah.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

sbowman1983
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Whoa brian, that's a little

Whoa brian, that's a little deep even for me lol.

I'm not completely on the bandwagon with the ancient alien theory here. I'm no conspiracy theorist. And I definitely don't buy into the whole "aliens planting the seeds of life" bit. But I also can't say that its impossible that aliens have visited earth in the past.

There's a few things that make me question whether it happened or not. The pyramid building theory is one of the big ones but I'm not talking about the fact that they were an engineering feat to accomplish. I'm talking about how before anyone from egypt or the eastern hemisphere ever knew of the new world, the aztecs and the mayans were building pyramids at roughly the same time (I may be wrong on exact time frames. If anyone knows the exact time periods, please correct me). Its amazing to me how different cultures had no ability to communicate between each other, yet they were building very similar structures.

The nazca lines are something else. Now a lot of people will say that they were made in honor of their gods and I can't say that they're wrong. But some of the lines do resemble modern day run ways and the human figure on the mountain side. Just because they resemble modern run ways doesn't mean that I believe that's what they are. I'm just saying.

There have been a lot of events that ancient people documented describing them the best they could, but when analyzed by modern historians, they can replace what is being described with modern machinery and it fit perfectly.

Don't think me some weird alien fanatic or conspiracy theorist with this. But it does kinda make sense to me.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:But I also can't say

Quote:
But I also can't say that its impossible that aliens have visited earth in the past.

Maybe if we had more earth like planets in our solar system I might agree with you.

But the laws of physics and entropy and thermodynamics and the speed of light are not subject to our personal whims.

Distance is a huge problem making a visitation to us practical, no matter how likely I might want to believe biological life exists elsewhere. I side with law of probability and Occham's razor.

Would it surprise me that life exists elsewhere in the universe? NO. But that does not mean that we have been visited. I would think if something that advanced already got to us, just like a god claim, it would be a bit selfish to hold back on us.

The short skinny on my take is distance is a problem for anything out there, even if it does exist. The laws of light speed are not breakable as to make space travel possible.

Atoms do not magically hold Jesus powers or Lex Luthor powers simply because we have not traveled to every nook and cranny of the universe.

I also don't know what happened before the big bang, but I would not attribute that to little green men any more than I would to Jesus or Thor.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only reason I say it is

The only reason I say it is likely that some sort of life exists in the universe is likely is the same way I would say that there is more than one sperm in a male load. That does not mean all the sperm will get an egg pregnant. Or that the sperm have the ability to communicate with each other.

It is only because we know that the atoms that make up our earth and our life are not pre packaged and exist elsewhere, just like we can observe a star(sun) then biological life existing elsewhere, even if we never find it, is a statistical likely hood even if we never find it.

What I object to in life, beyond the issue of "aliens" or religion or anything for that matter, is when someone states a claim and by proxy of naked assertion they are right by default.

I have no doubt, that since we have found water even on other planets in our own solar system, it would not shock me if some bacteria or single sell organism existed within our solar system.

What I DO object to is this idea that the universe is a highway that "they" or us can travel to the same way you and I can travel to flying from Japan to New York.

I get a lip twitch when sci fi fans suggest that the transporter from star trec is a possibility.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:...star

Brian37 wrote:

...star trec...

Hey now, it is Star Trek.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Brian37

mellestad wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

...star trec...

Hey now, it is Star Trek.

Out of all the series the original was the worst. I liked the Next Generation and Voyager equally. Sorry for my typo.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I agree, but it might just

I agree, but it might just be our age.  Maybe if I'd seen the Original series in the 60's when it was new and fresh it would have been better.

Besides, Patrick Stewart is dreamy.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:I agree, but

mellestad wrote:

I agree, but it might just be our age.  Maybe if I'd seen the Original series in the 60's when it was new and fresh it would have been better.

Besides, Patrick Stewart is dreamy.

I don't know, you have to love in the Original series how they all flew around the bridge in a big battle because no one had thought to install seat belts. Of course, I watched it when I was 7 and easily amused. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

sbowman1983
atheist
User is offlineOffline
If they had taken the

If they had taken the enterprise through crash tests that would have been an apparent safety issue

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
sbowman1983 wrote: The

sbowman1983 wrote:

The pyramid building theory is one of the big ones but I'm not talking about the fact that they were an engineering feat to accomplish. I'm talking about how before anyone from egypt or the eastern hemisphere ever knew of the new world, the aztecs and the mayans were building pyramids at roughly the same time (I may be wrong on exact time frames. If anyone knows the exact time periods, please correct me). Its amazing to me how different cultures had no ability to communicate between each other, yet they were building very similar structures.

Their is a very simple explanation for this.  Pyramids are the easiest and strongest way to build up (cones aswell perhaps).  Ancient man didn't have the technology to build that high without making the base huge and the structure smaller as it gets taller, leaving you with basic pyramid shapes.  It was simple logical engineering, start big, get smaller, the base will hold the weight.   Now, with our advanced steel structural engeneering we can really build any skyskcraper design we dream up.  In those days they didn't have many choices and so design was limited, if you wanted to build high, that was the way to go.   Their are many differences in the design of the structures throughout the various civilizations who built pyramids, just as much as you would expect there would be in seperate civilizations designing around there limitations (large base-smaller to top)  Ledges, windows, bridges, stairs etc... All are unique. 

sbowman1983 wrote:

The nazca lines are something else. Now a lot of people will say that they were made in honor of their gods and I can't say that they're wrong. But some of the lines do resemble modern day run ways and the human figure on the mountain side.

What is a runway exactly?  A stripe?  Are you saying this and that particular patch in the ground resembles a stripe?  Figure in the mountain head, yes.  Also animals, a cow and frog I believe (not sure).  I have seen the nasca lines, looks like large scale artwork to me.  Are they runways and pictures of aliens (or whatever)?  Maybe.  Or it is more likely it was just people doing what people do?  People get together, build things, draw things, paint on rocks, believe in spooks and build/draw/paint things in their honor.  It is what people did and still do.  Which is more likely:

(1)-Advanced aliens who can either (a)-break the laws of physics and travel hundreds and thousands of times the speed of light, or (b) live millions of years, spent those years flying through space to get to earth to teach primates how to build primitive structures and worship them.  Or

(2)-People doing what people do.   

sbowman1983 wrote:

Don't think me some weird alien fanatic or conspiracy theorist with this. But it does kinda make sense to me.

I believe their is a good chance life exists elsewhere.  Probably in very basic forms.  Inteligent life may exist, perhaps even life more advanced than ourselves.  However if it does (as brian so colorfully pointed out) it would most likely be to far to ever reach us.  Unless of course the life span of the alien is incredibly long, long enough that it wouldn't really make sense, or the aliens travelled impossible speeds.  Sadly it seems impossible that we could travell anywhere significant into space, 80 years just ain't enough, it is nothing.  We would have to live thousands of years travelling at impossible speeds to get anywhere.  

Just to play the alien game: If it is true, a being can live this long, or travel impossibly fast, do you really think it would look like anything we portray as aliens (bodies, legs, a head), or care about a species as primitive as us.  Do you think an entity like that would come to earth to tell monkeys how to build something 6 year old kids figure out how to do with lego (big base, smaller as you go up, stagger joints, make strong).  I would love there to be alien visitation, bring it on, it would be the most exciting thing to witness.  Sadly it seems improbable if not impossible, and if it is possible and they did/do visit, it is very likely they would see us as gerbils and pass on by, or just take our planet for its resourses *snap* just like that.  It is unlikely they would feel any emotional connection to us in any way.     

sbowman1983
atheist
User is offlineOffline
To be honest with you guys I

To be honest with you guys I saw this on the history channel a few months back and it made some sense to me. That's the only reason I asked. I honestly don't think that it actually happened. There were just some points that made some sense to me

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's no doubt whatever

that there are some amazing builds from Ancient times - the Mayans, Egyptians and Angkor Wat spring to mind. But I can't help thinking that these projects represent the complete outpouring of a nation's efforts. They were the entire infrastructure effort of the people. The Egyptians were pretty amazing with their stone cutting and whatnot. Gaia knows how they did it. But they certainly did do it. I can't rule out life on other planets but they'd be constrained by distance in the same way we are, you'd think?

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's not impossible, but

It's not impossible, but neither is it likely, and there is a void of evidence. Logic suggests that no intelligent aliens have ever been in our solar system.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
The guys who built Angkor

The guys who built Angkor Wat, which I have personally visited, (as well as the Pyramids in Egypt), didn't even use the arch, that had first appeared in Mesopotamia 3000 years earlier.

Sort of argues against any world-wide ancient knowledge...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
sbowman1983 wrote:To be

sbowman1983 wrote:
To be honest with you guys I saw this on the history channel a few months back and it made some sense to me. That's the only reason I asked. I honestly don't think that it actually happened. There were just some points that made some sense to me

It pisses me off that networks give themselves "official" sounding names like "Tru" tv or "History" or "The Learning Channel" and then put conspiracy crap on it so they can sell add space at the expense of filling the minds of credulous masses with BULLSHIT.

Isn't it funny we haven't seen a little green man interviewed on CNN or had their blood sample reviewed by the AMA. Isn't it funny that the ghost of Abraham Lincoln never gets interviewed on the Today Show or Lenno for that matter.

We have not been visited. There is no Loc Ness Monster. There is no Big Foot. Oswald acted alone. Ouija boards are bullshit too.

"Ghost hunters" is mind crap and bullshit. The only credible "Area 51" there is is a video game.

People like believing stupid shit because it sounds nice. Woo is woo and no matter how much you dress the skunk up in a different tux, it is still a skunk.

I'm sorry if you wanted me to spend any length of time deconstructing woo. The older I get the less patience I have for bullshit.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not aiming this at anyone

I am not aiming this particular post at any of the above, but would like to point something out. All too often times, it seems that the people that wish for something extraordinary do not give any credit or wish to give any credit to humanity and the human race at all.

In other words, the logic is often 

This is awesome = Man could never have accomplished this on his own.

I wonder why ? Is it really so hard to believe that an ancient society of people could have constructed such wonders without the aid of anything other than their own genius ?

Isn't it really possible to imagine that wonder can exist because of the fact that humanity, when put to the test, can go far above the limits of anything that it could ever dream of ?

Alot of the people that I encounter that wish for the extraordinary seem to think that my being an Atheist equals that I have no sense of mystery and wonder. How do they figure that ? There is wonder and mystery in the microscopes, the telescopes, the progress of medicine, the genius of architecture, the emotion of arts and music etc. etc.

The human race has alot of destructive tendencies, but it also has some of the most amazing capabilities.

Theists often call me cynical, despairing and without a meaningful life because of my views. But I never get an answer to this question : Which is more positive ?  To give humanity great credit for the potentials that it can over exceed ? Or to believe that humanity is just somehow plain bad, evil and destructive without something way more advanced and powerful guiding it ?

A bit off topic with the ancient aliens theory, but just something I have noticed.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, here is my take on

Well, here is my take on the question.

Could aliens have visited us in the past? If they have the technology to have done so, then yah, sure.

However, if that did happen, the big issue is why we don't have evidence that clearly says so. If they were here a thousand or so years ago, they why have archaeologists never found anything like a circuit board or a microprocessor? We don't need a whole lot of evidence here. Just a couple of things that can't be explained any other way.

What if aliens dropped by a billion years ago? Well, in that case, the evidence may have been destroyed by the ravages of time. If you can't prove it, then you can't prove it. All bets are off. Unless they encoded a practical star map in the DNA of all life on earth or something like that. Still, show me the evidence.

On the other hand, if it is possible to get to a level of technology where visiting the stars CAN happen, then what does that actually take? Well, we actually have a plan for that. It requires technology that we do not have today. Could we be there in a thousand years? I for one will not invest in that but I am not going to say it is impossible that far out.

The rub here is what is known as the “Fermi paradox”. Basically put, it the galaxy has already been explored, then why don't we see aliens all over the place? Really, if we eventually break out, we are going to be all over the place and primitive life will have to deal with us. So why are we not dealing with them?

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Desdenova
atheist
Desdenova's picture
User is offlineOffline
We also tend to overlook

We also tend to overlook that the Egyptians began with a basic ziggurat design that was created in Mesopotamia some 1.5 thousand years earlier (which in turn are predated by the raised platform altars of the Ubaid period, again demonstrating a steady progression of engineering ability) and expanded upon it’s humble step pyramid origin in the production of different experimental pyramid designs in what would eventually evolve architecturally to what we call the Great Pyramid. The Bent pyramid is a perfect example of how pyramid construction was a learning process, not the result of technology suddenly dropped in our laps. 

I share harleysportster’s sentiments. Give our ancestors credit for their achievements. They lacked our cumulative knowledge, but they were by no means incapable of remarkable feats of engineering.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.

Save a tree, eat a vegetarian.

Sometimes " The Majority " only means that all the fools are on the same side.

Ktulu
atheist
User is offlineOffline
 This argument seems to

This argument seems to imply that people from 5000 years ago were somehow less intelligent then people are today.  In terms of brain size evolution they were practically the same.  You take an ancient Egyptian and put him through our education system and you could easily come up with a software engineer.  If presented with the same issues they will come up with similar solutions that we would.  We just have better tools and a lot more knowledge.

It's really egotistical to believe that we are so much better then an ancient individual because we can operate a cellphone.  

"Don't seek these laws to understand. Only the mad can comprehend..." -- George Cosbuc

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

that there are some amazing builds from Ancient times - the Mayans, Egyptians and Angkor Wat spring to mind. But I can't help thinking that these projects represent the complete outpouring of a nation's efforts. They were the entire infrastructure effort of the people. The Egyptians were pretty amazing with their stone cutting and whatnot. Gaia knows how they did it. But they certainly did do it. I can't rule out life on other planets but they'd be constrained by distance in the same way we are, you'd think?

And time dilates with speed. Now, either the fundamental medium that maintains momentum in all things made of matter -time, basically-  is not dimension-like at all (a particle, or some such); OR time is just like it's close sibling, space.

The latter is much more probable than the former. If time is dimension-like, and time can be warped (or "dilated&quotEye-wink in the right circumstances, than so can space be warped.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Gawdzilla
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:I agree, but

mellestad wrote:

It was crap then, bad acting, cheesy sets and stupid stories.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ancient Aliens hmmmm

"Ancient Aliens"...

I cannot bare to watch the tv's version of "Ancient Aliens" (on H.I.) even if I am honestly forced to.

Adherents are almost dumb (in general). Believers completely distort the archeology (or have no knowledge of it).  From dead religions, They cherry pick only the religions' notions /ideas able to be tortured into their major re~interpretation. Ignoring more likely origins and the weight of the bulk of the materials they cite from. >Consistently, They seem to hugely insult the abilities of ancient man.   HMMMM   That's off the top of my head.

This I clearly say:  Irrevocable-damage  was done  to the History Channel for ever airing it.

hellypetro
User is offlineOffline
This argument seems to imply

This argument seems to imply that the people of 5000 years ago was somehow less intelligent then people today. What is the size of brain development were almost identical. It takes into Egypt, and put it through the school system, and you can easily come up with a software designer. If presented with the same things as they come up with similar solutions, we should have. There are just better tools, and much more.

Sig removed by moderator. Did you have something to say or are you just trying to get that advertisement out there?

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
danatemporary

danatemporary wrote:

"Ancient Aliens"...

This I clearly say:  Irrevocable-damage  was done  to the History Channel for ever airing it.

Yeah, The History Channel, Nat Geo, even The Discovery Channel have all dumbed their content waaaay down.   I refer to that effect as the Jerry Springer Syndrome,   increase ratings by appealing to the lowest common denominators in society.  Perhaps next these television producers could create the Bingo Channel so that all those morbidly obese shut-ins could still follow the excitement from home....

mrOriginal
atheist
mrOriginal's picture
User is offlineOffline
The surest sign of

The surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that it has not tried to contact us.

No doubt in my mind that other intelligent species exist out there, somewhere, but I have to agree with an earlier post that stated why they would come all that way just to build a few things, make us worship them, then leave.........It's silly.

Maybe one day we can develop a way to fold space and time and go wherever the fuck we want.  I hope that by that time religion will be wayyyyy out of the picture. 

We will probably destroy ourselves, and this planet long before we can ever visit other stars........

Star Trek rules.

mr. O

"Whoever feels predestined to see and not to believe will find all believers too noisy and pushy: he guards against them."

Friedrich Nietzsche

ZeroSignal
atheist
User is offlineOffline
mrOriginal wrote:Maybe one

mrOriginal wrote:

Maybe one day we can develop a way to fold space and time and go wherever the fuck we want.  I hope that by that time religion will be wayyyyy out of the picture. 

Robotech?..love it..Oh wait thread jack...

Im of the opinion, that for us to truly explore off our planet, we are going to need the cooperation of the human race as a whole.  With  a world infested with narrow minded religions, this will be be impossible until they are gone. So I'm with you on the out of the way thing.  May not be anywhere near my life time, but I hope our future generations get their heads out of their collective asses.

____

The bible, good fiction? A 3 year old can write a better story.