A what if question to everyone?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
A what if question to everyone?

It has been postulated in psychology. A national magazine article, Time or Newsweek, I forget which it was, postulated the following and of course I am paraphrasing. I want to expound on this example with something more long term as far as our species's future.

The article was not postulating a right or wrong answer but speculating what personality types would do what?

The example was if there was a train out of control barreling down the track and the passengers were sure to die, but the only way you could save them was to push a fat man off the bridge above to derail it to stop it from hitting another train, sure to kill more than the one person you shoved off the bridge? Would you do it?

Now, while I thought Bush was an asshole of a President, I myself, if it had been possible to do at the time, WOULD have given the order to shoot down the passenger liners on 9/11 to prevent them from hitting their targets.

NOW, that is just me, and the article never claimed right or wrong either way.

TO EXPOUND on this example.

Lets say as far as the future of humanity as an example.

If you knew the only way to save the species as a whole was to submit it to the likes of Kim Jong Ill, or have the entire species obliterated by a nuclear war, would you surrender?

Now, I am NOT postulating the permanent existence of such tyranny as a result of surrender. Just the thought that if it gave a future possibility for our species survival short term, would you surrender if it meant long term saving the species?

PLEASE PEOPLE, do not make this about labels or nationality. I am strictly talking about human psychology. You can replace Kim Jong Ill with Darth Vader, it is just a "what if" example.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote: Sandycane, I

Blake wrote:

Sandycane,

I feel a little nauseated and disheartened after reading your post.  That these kinds of ideas can spout from somebody who proports to appreciate an even remotely rational outlook on life is, well, inexcusable.

You've still failed to address my points, and in addition have introduced an elaborate mythology that corrupts general biological concepts such as trophic level into some perverse sentient absolute universal morality. Eergn...

Mellestad, you're seriously married to somebody like this?  Probably a good thing you avoid the topic @_@

Somebody: mellestad, cj, Beyond Saving, BobSpence1?  Anybody rational reading this- I implore you: please help me respond to Sandycane's "food chain = universal moral law" argument.

If I have to explain it to her again, I may not be able to be nice about it... as it stands, the amount of snark I'm repressing is threatening to give me an aneurysm.  Shit... are my ears bleeding again?

I have no idea what the hell you would expect me to say, Blake.  I said earlier and I've said in other threads - I'm not a vegetarian.  I wouldn't eat dog, though I know there are cultures - Chinese, some of the American Indians, I'm sure there are others - who do.  I wouldn't eat horse, though there are cultures that do.  I wouldn't eat cat - large or small - and some people do.  I wouldn't eat monkey - and some do.  I wouldn't eat brains or chitlins - though I had liver and onions for dinner last night.  I refuse to eat insects, but I like crab, shrimp and lobster.  None of this is logical, none is rational.  And I feel no need to justify my preferences to you or anyone else.  Why should Sandycane put up with you?

My irrationality extends to plant choices in diet as well.  I will eat almost any vegetable or fruit.  But I hate lima (or butter) beans.  I'm not particularly fond of Mangoes.  Why?  Who knows?  I think it is a left over from my childhood.  I like most ethnic foods I have tried - but Japanese food bores me.  I'm not into subtle, I like flavors that light up my palate.  Not rational.  Thai or Korean is more my style.  Or really hot Mexican or South American.  Other people can't stand hot chilies.  Paprika?  Yum.  Hot paprika is better.  Southern style grits?  No thanks.  No rationality in sight.

I'm sure if you seriously thought about your likes and dislikes when it comes to food - even if you are vegan - you will find items in your diet choices that are seriously irrational as well.

PS: for those not familiar with some of the more esoteric dietary items I mentioned.  I used to be married to someone who grew up in the "deep South" of the US.  His family was from Mississippi.  So I was introduced to some food items I had not run into before our marriage.

Chitlins or chitterlings - intestines of a pig.  I have no idea of the different ways to prepare it, but what I was offered smelled bad and tasted worse.

Grits - coarse ground corn cooked as a sort of soft cereal or porridge.  If the corn kernels are treated with an alkali (like potash, lye or lime) they are called hominy.  If you use this treated corn or hominy to make porridge, you get hominy grits.  Tasteless.  I'm not fond of cooked cereal like oatmeal either.  There is a snack sold in the US made from hominy that has been toasted and salted.  Not bad - enough crunch and salt and almost anything is edible.

Turnip greens Southern style - I didn't mention them earlier but the way the ex-mother-in-law cooked them - They are pretty tasteless.  Boil them with a ham bone.  A salted ham bone.  Lots of salt.  Then cook until it is a salty, glue like mass of green stuff. 

I don't know why people in the south get fat on Southern cooking.  Or maybe it was that my introduction was by a really lousy cook.

Not rational, not even close.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you cj. That was

Thank you cj. That was perfect.

Food in the South is definitely 'different'.

A lady I used to take care of used to love to make 'greens'. When I showed up for work in the morning, I could smell them cooking before I reached the door. Yuck! ...and they would cook in the pot All Day long.

Down here, the menu usually reads: 3 Veggies and a Meat. Usually a choice of slaw, white/pinto beans, okra, greens, smashed taters. The meat is either fried liver or fried chicken...or fried catfish. I guess that's why I like Sonic when I have to eat out on the run.

Of course, my favorite restaurant is either the Olive Garden or, Red Lobster. Yum Yum! There's not much of a choice around here and it's a 40 mile drive to either of these places.

'Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.' A. Einstein

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
To bad we aren't talking

To bad we aren't talking about the fat man any longer, that was fun 

In my country we eat cooked snails. I don't find them a delicacy personally, but many people here enjoy them much.

Here we also do bullfighting which I disagree. It's a barbaric circus with origins in ancient Rome.

Both these things are culturally accepted. I don't find it wrong to kill animals for food and I don't even find it wrong to kill for sport to a certain extent, like hunters do. What I criticize is the indulgence on the pleasure of an animal suffering or a mindless killing spree - This is unnecessary and morally degrading. Culture can only go to a certain limit, beyond that it is irrational, selfish and wrong.

As some of you already know I'm for moral objectivity. So for example, a tribe that kills humans for food or the Inca civilization that beheaded thousands to offer tribute to their Gods is just plain wrong, no matter the culture, opinion, religious belief, intelligence, "size of ego", etc. - This is what I call moral objectivity. Because it is something that IS as SUCH independently of my opinion.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tipically yummi! LOL 

Tipically yummi! LOL

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
My absolute favorite

My absolute favorite seafood:

I could eat a truck load of them! never had a snail but, if they taste like steamed clams, I'd be willing to try.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Thank you

Sandycane wrote:

Thank you cj. That was perfect.

Food in the South is definitely 'different'.

A lady I used to take care of used to love to make 'greens'. When I showed up for work in the morning, I could smell them cooking before I reached the door. Yuck! ...and they would cook in the pot All Day long.

Down here, the menu usually reads: 3 Veggies and a Meat. Usually a choice of slaw, white/pinto beans, okra, greens, smashed taters. The meat is either fried liver or fried chicken...or fried catfish. I guess that's why I like Sonic when I have to eat out on the run.

Of course, my favorite restaurant is either the Olive Garden or, Red Lobster. Yum Yum! There's not much of a choice around here and it's a 40 mile drive to either of these places.

Yeah, I used to live in a very small town in central Washington.  4 restaurants.  One was a sort of fast food place - it was a local franchise, not national and nothing special.  The one downtown all the really old people ate at - I think chicken fried steak was their forte'.  One was a bar-b-que joint (all their dinners tasted of the sauce they used) and the other was a truck stop.  You wanted anything else and it was a minimum of 60 miles.  We used to get up early on Sunday morning, get in the car and drive three hours to Seattle for breakfast and grocery shopping.

For Blake - who is a Seattleite - The Athenian Cafe in Pike Place Market.  Kedgeree or Hangtown Fries followed by shopping for vegetables other than cabbage or broccoli.  I like cabbage and broccoli - but not when they are the only fresh vegetables I can get at the local grocery store.  Pike Place Market has beautiful fresh vegetables of all kinds all year long.  Fish and shell fish fresh off the boats.  And a French bakery to die for.  I think it is the original Starbucks coffee shop at the market.  Right, Blake?  The market could qualify as a vision of heaven after weeks of cabbage.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeepers Tera

Teralek wrote:

Tipically yummi! LOL

I et some snails in Bonneiux a couple of years ago. It was a case of one chew and a swallow. I was glad when the snail course was done.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Sandycane you may like

Sandycane you may like snails... they are more spicy than clams. But they don't taste much like seafood... I think they may be between seafood and chicken with an odd texture... they don't have a strong taste that's why people spice them with olive oil, garlic and other condiments...

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Y'all are making me

Y'all are making me hungry. Mmmmmmmm.... love snails, oysters, mussels, clams, lobster, crab, crawfish and pretty much anything else that comes in a shell. And greens can be real good if prepared properly but probably 95% of them aren't. Generally southerners tend to cook them too long at too low of a temperature because thats they way grandma did it. Most greens can be cooked at a med high temp with a little oil, spot of honey and a generous squeeze of lemon juice. Saute until it achieves a firm yet chewable texture and serve immediately. The hardier greens like mustard greens are best braised in a mixture of white wine, chicken broth and garlic for about 15-20 minutes.

(You think chitlins are bad you should try lutefisk which I am fairly sure is the most disgusting food you can buy in the US)

And Sandy, I was only half kidding about the cats. They actually are quite tasty at least cougar and bobcat are, I have never tried house cat. It just always struck me as weird that people get grossed out from eating some certain type of animal but will eat others. I thought, and I think Blake thought as well you were saying that we raise cattle to eat therefore it is ok to eat them, implying that if animals were not being raised to eat it would be less moral. Although, warning to anyone tempted to try cat, in many localities it is illegal to kill and eat a pet cat or dog even if you own it. Such a waste of perfectly edible meat. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Y'all are making me hungry. Mmmmmmmm.... love snails, oysters, mussels, clams, lobster, crab, crawfish and pretty much anything else that comes in a shell. And greens can be real good if prepared properly but probably 95% of them aren't. Generally southerners tend to cook them too long at too low of a temperature because thats they way grandma did it. Most greens can be cooked at a med high temp with a little oil, spot of honey and a generous squeeze of lemon juice. Saute until it achieves a firm yet chewable texture and serve immediately. The hardier greens like mustard greens are best braised in a mixture of white wine, chicken broth and garlic for about 15-20 minutes.

(You think chitlins are bad you should try lutefisk which I am fairly sure is the most disgusting food you can buy in the US)

A Garrison Keillor story---

Lady meets the Lutheran pastor on the street.  "How are you doing Mrs.?" "Oh, pastor, I have skunks under the porch and I don't know how to get rid of them."  "Put some lutefisk under the porch and they'll go away."  "Thank you, Pastor, I'll try that."  A few weeks later, the same pastor meets the same lady.  "And how is your skunk problem doing, Mrs.?"  "The skunks are gone, Pastor."  "Good!"  "But, Pastor, what do I do about the Norwegians?"

Beyond Saving wrote:

And Sandy, I was only half kidding about the cats. They actually are quite tasty at least cougar and bobcat are, I have never tried house cat. It just always struck me as weird that people get grossed out from eating some certain type of animal but will eat others. I thought, and I think Blake thought as well you were saying that we raise cattle to eat therefore it is ok to eat them, implying that if animals were not being raised to eat it would be less moral. Although, warning to anyone tempted to try cat, in many localities it is illegal to kill and eat a pet cat or dog even if you own it. Such a waste of perfectly edible meat. 

I'm with Sandycane.  No cats for dinner.  No dogs for dinner.  Waste of protein or not.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving,Thank you,

Beyond Saving,

Thank you, much more nicely put than I would have done it.

Sandycane,

He just invalidated your arguments, and you mostly ignored it.

You did make one concession, though:

Sandycane wrote:
Some do eat things that I would think of as gross. If no ANIMAL ABUSE is involved, so be it.

This is something I just asked before- does it come down to abuse- before you said no, and created an elaborate mythology to explain your moral complex based on trophic levels- now you seem to concede and admit that it *does* come down to abuse.

If you accept deviation from your sacred 'natural order' (which was never natural to begin with), do you then accept that cannibalism is O.K. as long as abuse didn't occur?

While it may not be legal, can you accept that is is moral for one to go out and kill people to eat, as long as one does it quickly and without them feeling any more pain than is absolutely necessary?

Sandycane wrote:
You're obviously a highly intelligent person and are a skilled debater. However, it is clear to me that you also have a huge ego, think you are always right and that you feel you have already won this argument - because you think you are right and I am wrong -  but, because of my ignorance, I have so far failed to see the error of my way.

This is not really an argument, it's a series of rational people trying to explain to you the error in your logic (or lack thereof); and trying to figure out how to help you understand that.

Beyond Saving, mellestad, and I *disagree* with each other to a large part on opinion- that's not the issue, and you don't seem to understand that.

Sandycane wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, Bucko, but, you are not
the ultimate authority on morality.

That's quite what I'm trying to tell you, but meeting rejection and denial.

Morality is relative- it is not based on your opinions, or upon arbitrarily ascribed "purpose" (something that is objectively meaningless), upon any concept of trophic levels, or anything else.

THERE IS NO ULTIMATE AUTHORITY ON MORALITY.  There is only the fact of its relativity- only the fact that it is an opinion.

Sandycane wrote:
You have still neglected to declare your position on animal abuse or, your reason you are a vegetarian and believe that it is wrong to eat meat.

It's amazing to me that you don't understand why mellestad and I aren't going into that.

Can you guess?

Probably not.

It's because it's not relevant, even remotely, to the conversation.

My opinions, mellestad's opinions, are meaningless in this.

We're only talking about the FACT of internal consistency, or lack thereof.

Sandycane wrote:
Until you do so, and stop tip-toeing around the subject and being nebulous about your position on animal abuse, I see no point in arguing with you.

BECAUSE THAT'S NOT THE SUBJECT!  I'm not tip-toeing around anything!

Sandycane wrote:
You know you are right and making sure everyone else knows it too, is all that matters to you. I know better.

Of course I'm correct, and so is mellestad (and now that Beyond Saving has clarified his position, it seems he is too- st least mostly).

We all disagree with each other on matters of opinion (which are neither correct nor incorrect- they have no truth value), but do you know what we have in common?

Internal consistency- maybe a lack of hypocrisy?

You should try it.  It's pretty easy; either simply stop trying to force your own (inconsistent) belief systems upon others, or start being consistent.

If you want to know my opinion, I can tell you- but you must first acknowledge that it has nothing to do with the conversation at hand- that being the lack of logical consistency shown by the 'middle ground' as mellestad and I had been discussing it.

It doesn't matter if you want to save the whales, or kill them all to burn their oil for fuel- the question here is one of internal consistency.  None of us are arguing for or against killing or torturing animals here- we're arguing for being consistent in your actions with those you attempt to force upon others.

cj,
cj wrote:

Hitler is a fat guy on Mars.    GMAFB

I think you know that was all tongue in cheek Sticking out tongue

cj wrote:
I have no idea what the hell you would expect me to say, Blake. 

I wouldn't eat [X] though there are cultures that do.[...]

None of this is logical, none is rational.  And I feel no need to justify my preferences to you or anyone else.

That's just it cj,

You recognize that they are arbitrary preferences and don't try to justify them.  More importantly, it seems you don't try to impose them upon others by way of absolutist moral judgment.

You just say 'I eat what I eat on whim', and you don't pretend it's based on some consistent universal moral law.

If you will read Sandycane's posts, she ascribes justifications based on some contrived form of universal morality to explain why it's wrong for anybody to do that (not just her personal actions, but those of others), and why she feels she's entitled to pass judgment (and actual laws) against others' actions while permitting her own.  She pretends to have a rational basis (although she seems very wishy washy on this), while referencing internally contradictory justifications and moral prescriptions.

cj wrote:

I'm sure if you seriously thought about your likes and dislikes when it comes to food - even if you are vegan - you will find items in your diet choices that are seriously irrational as well.

I could eat or not eat anything I wanted, and treat other animals however, and not be a hypocrite as long as I refrained from more negatively judging others for actions that were the same or better than mine in accordance with my own expressed moral standards.

That's something you seem to be doing where you acknowledge that other people do as they do- say, eating dogs or cats- while you won't because you don't want to. 

cj wrote:
I'm with Sandycane.  No cats for dinner.  No dogs for dinner.  Waste of protein or not.

When you say this, is it a personal preference, or something you're wanting to impose upon the universe as a whole?  I get the impression that it's the former.

Sandycane isn't being quite as ambivalent and tolerant towards the actions of others- that's where mellestad and I are criticizing her.

I was hoping you would see that distinction and explain it to her more nicely than I could, is all.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
And now back to a more

And now back to a more interesting conversation- social contract (sorry for the delay Beyond Saving)

Beyond Saving wrote:

Blake wrote:

Then you agree that the same actions of boycott are the only ones that should be taken against societies that abuse and control women as property, keep slaves or human livestock, or do something else that you find objectionable to your very arbitrary personal moral preferences?

No. I believe we should go kill those people, but it isn't based solely on morality reasons. People who enslave others are a danger because one day they may decide to enslave me, my family or someone I care about. So in the interest of self and family preservation, those types of people should be killed. Basically, the best way to ensure your own freedom is to help protect the freedoms of others you might not care about.

Note my emphasis.  That's pretty broad-- what if I care about the cows somebody is abusing on a farm? (I do, but that's beside the point)

You can't extend social contract that far without arriving at certain unintended consequences.

So, lets stick to the possibility of them enslaving YOU (which is what social contract is about), and we can consider family to be your property.

Now, if you'll examine systems of slavery throughout human history, taking somebody into slavery who was a free man is generally a very serious crime.  How are you not protected from this legally, even without going after these people?

Slavery has always been tightly controlled and regulated, as to who was and wasn't a slave, by government for that very reason.

You can't make any argument about going after these people for pragmatic, social contract reasons, because given practical social contract laws and regulations, those people *aren't* a danger to you or your property.

The people who are enslaved are slaves- the people who are not are free people.  Conversion from one to the other has only historically been as punishment for criminal violation, as consequence of war, as a consequence of willing contract, or by the owner releasing a slave (or where slaves have certain rights, by the slave procuring freedom).

Slavery is not a violation of social contract; it's a tiered contract.  It would only be a violation if a person could be taken into slavery without due process.

Beyond Saving wrote:

I don't see why the penalty should be more severe if I kill him because he is immoral than if I kill him just because I felt like it. Either way, I murdered a random person and should go to jail for a very long time if not life.

Oh ho!  But it's not random. 

If you killed him because he was immoral by your opinion, there is a very non-random force involved.  Applied to a society, this means more people who are judged 'immoral' by the majority are killed than those who are not.

If the law does not step in and increase the punishment beyond a mere "cost of doing business", then this bias becomes a de facto mob law against the immoral practice.

Lets say that the penalty for killing somebody is a shiny nickel.  A hugely disproportionate number of 'immoral' people (by the opinions of the majority) would be killed as compared to 'moral' people.

Increasing the penalty will potentially decrease the number of murders in general, but until the penalties are balanced using hate crime laws to the point that it's just as likely that an "immoral" person will be killed as a "moral" one (that is, until it is actually random), then there is in fact the force of a law against that immoral practice.

Does that make sense?

Beyond Saving wrote:
It is just if I liked the man there is no way I am going to push him. If I intensely disliked him there is a slightly better chance that I will risk going to jail or whatever other punishment society had for me.

Exactly, and that applies to everybody- thus creating an atmosphere of physical persecution without regards to the law- the precise thing that the law is supposed to prevent.  When the law does not prevent that, the persecution becomes the new law of the land- a moral law.  It can be just as effective as if it were on the books- there's no practical difference.  That's why a society founded purely on social contract must have laws acting to protect people from moral persecution, wherein they are acting in accordance with the social contract but in contrast to the morality of the public- and those laws must be strong enough to overcome the "cost of doing business" attitude displayed in a society whose majority is carrying out that moral punishment despite the letter of the law.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Was Sandy pushing a universal moral norm

or just sermonising her position as we all tend to do here from time to time? Just from a brief read it seems she's more concerned with non torture of her lunch than anything else. P'raps I missed something in the translation. Her position seemed obviously subjective but in the context of what makes us comfortable at table, being subjective is perfectly ok? I think in her first foray into this aspect of the lateralisation of the OP she used the term "in my opinion" a couple of times. 

It's more a matter of essentialism in Sandy's case, I think. The fact she says she could not eat an animal 'she knew by name' gives this element of her character away. I'm not sure I agree that an animal being only 'a biological machine' opens the critter up to ill treatment. Animals are definitely aware of their environment in some way and cattle in particular go to their deaths in a meatworks in real distress. Sure, we are made up of biological mechanisms but consciousness/awareness in higher orders does take these mechanisms to another level. A level in which fear is a useful survival lever. Does causing fear constitute abuse? Yes - I think it does.

I agree with Sandy, too, that animals do have individual natures tho how deep this goes and how much is our own self projection is a question. Sandy already said she did not believe in spirit.  But personally, I would eat an animal I knew by name. In fact I'd probably name the beast 'Stew' throughout its life to remind me what the future held for the both of us.  Further, having an inherent respect for other living things is ok by me. We all share the same planet and are all part of the same life family. This would not stop me from scoffing a creature but it has occurred to me in the context of dinner that the critter probably died in terror and this was not a pleasant thought. Admittedly, the bugs that will eat my dead body will not consider these issues but that's ok, too.

I think if the lot of us toured the whakatu freezing works and then sat down for a nice rare fillet, we'd look at each other with some discomfort over our shiraz. I've been to a few meatworks over the years for work and I do remember distinctly the obvious shared distress of the cattle. They had to be forced into the race by electric shock. Not a pretty sight.

So while harming animals makes me uncomfortable, I still eat meat - rare and with blood on it for preference - I enjoy it, and have no intention of stopping, so I guess I'm a killer at heart.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:or

Atheistextremist wrote:
or just sermonising her position as we all tend to do here from time to time?

My internet is slow, so I'm not about to quote mine, but I'll do my best to summarize the arguments from memory (which much necessarily be a little inaccurate, but should get the gist of it).

mellestad: Most animal rights perspectives are contradictory

Me:  How's that?  Either you care, or you don't.

mellestad: But most people are in the middle- they push their views on others, while being contradictory themselves.  I hurt animals for the pleasure of eating them, and I can't judge people who fight dogs for entertainment.  I don't like it, but it's just my opinion and I can't push that on others because I also hurt animals in another way.

Beyond Saving (without coffee): I eat meat. I judge them and I'm more likely to push the guy onto the train tracks if I he's immoral.

Me: Morals aren't absolute, that's just your opinion; you're advocating vigilante moral law.

Beyond Saving: Sorry, I didn't have my coffee; definitely it's just my opinion, and I wouldn't suggest pushing those on others- I just might not like the people.  I agree that vigilantism must be prevented, and if I did that it's an emotional outburst I should be punished for- I try to control myself.

Meanwile, Sandycane:  People who hurt animals should be shot.  I eat meat.  Eating meat is a special exception that is morally right because that's their purpose.

Me: The trophic level is not universal purpose.  You can't just arbitrarily ascribe purpose to others unless you accept that I can do that to you, or somebody can do that to children and eat them because 'that was their purpose'.  If you mean that it's about harm, then that's something we can discuss- is that it?

mellestad: But you don't need to eat meat, you can eat something else- it's a choice you make.

Sandycane: But you forgot it's a magical purpose of the universe to eat them!  You're illogical! It's not just harm, it's purpose!!

Me: I already explained that argument is bat shit crazy and you're ignoring me, please somebody set her straight.  My head hurts.

Beyond Saving: What's the difference in eating a cow you've purposed to eat and a cat you haven't?  It's just opinion, there's no real difference.

Sandycane: Well that's icky, but I guess if there's no more harm it's O.K. to eat that.

Me: I already asked you if it was about harm, and now you finally seem to admit it is after denying it.  Then it's morally fine for somebody to be a cannibal if they aren't causing any more harm to people than is necessary to kill and eat them?

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake,

Blake,

Since cj, Terelek and especially atheistextremist get the gist of what I'm saying, I have to conclude you are just being argumentative or dense - maybe both.

I'm talking about how I feel on the subject, not declaring that everyone else should feel the same as I do.

EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES TO ANIMAL ABUSE: ANYONE WHO ABUSES ANIMALS SHOULD BE LOCKED UP. 'Animal abuse', IMO, includes everything from keeping a dog on a 3' chain 24/7, sticking a fire cracker up a cats butt, to having sex with your pet goat. It does not include humanely raising and slaughtering animals for food purposes. I don't know why this is so difficult for you to understand.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:or

Atheistextremist wrote:

or just sermonising her position as we all tend to do here from time to time? Just from a brief read it seems she's more concerned with non torture of her lunch than anything else. P'raps I missed something in the translation. Her position seemed obviously subjective but in the context of what makes us comfortable at table, being subjective is perfectly ok? I think in her first foray into this aspect of the lateralisation of the OP she used the term "in my opinion" a couple of times. 

It's more a matter of essentialism in Sandy's case, I think. The fact she says she could not eat an animal 'she knew by name' gives this element of her character away. I'm not sure I agree that an animal being only 'a biological machine' opens the critter up to ill treatment. Animals are definitely aware of their environment in some way and cattle in particular go to their deaths in a meatworks in real distress. Sure, we are made up of biological mechanisms but consciousness/awareness in higher orders does take these mechanisms to another level. A level in which fear is a useful survival lever. Does causing fear constitute abuse? Yes - I think it does.

I agree with Sandy, too, that animals do have individual natures tho how deep this goes and how much is our own self projection is a question. Sandy already said she did not believe in spirit.  But personally, I would eat an animal I knew by name. In fact I'd probably name the beast 'Stew' throughout its life to remind me what the future held for the both of us.  Further, having an inherent respect for other living things is ok by me. We all share the same planet and are all part of the same life family. This would not stop me from scoffing a creature but it has occurred to me in the context of dinner that the critter probably died in terror and this was not a pleasant thought. Admittedly, the bugs that will eat my dead body will not consider these issues but that's ok, too.

I think if the lot of us toured the whakatu freezing works and then sat down for a nice rare fillet, we'd look at each other with some discomfort over our shiraz. I've been to a few meatworks over the years for work and I do remember distinctly the obvious shared distress of the cattle. They had to be forced into the race by electric shock. Not a pretty sight.

So while harming animals makes me uncomfortable, I still eat meat - rare and with blood on it for preference - I enjoy it, and have no intention of stopping, so I guess I'm a killer at heart.

I think, for the most part, you and I are in agreement... although, I'm a pacifist at heart (except when I see abuse of any kind )

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ok - I see what everyone is saying

and get the differences of opinion. Sandy - if you were in the wilds you'd kill a creature as best you could to survive, wouldn't you? I would, myself. I did once sock a bloke who was whacking an octopus with a tennis raquet at the beach. Then i probably had a steak sanga or a meat pie for lunch. Maybe the intention to cause suffering - the lack of empathy - is the issue for Sandy?

In terms of the disagreement I don't think you can eat most kinds of meat without an animal being distressed or inconvenienced in some way. So there is a double standard there - intentional or not. There's part of me that thinks this dispute relates to the ambiguity of language. While Sandy says she'd kill a person for harming an animal, she's probably saying deliberate abuse of animals makes her blood boil.

In Oz we have a dispute with Japan over an issue like this. They kill whales in our declared marine sanctuaries and while the govt does nothing, private interest groups attack the whaling ships and protest over their killing the whales with grenade-tipped harpoons. In response the japanese accuse us of killing and eating kangaroos and cattle and suggest the 2 things are the same. Interestingly whale watching in Oz is a more valuable industry than whale meat in japan. And most the whales watching customers are Japanese. Go figure.

As sandy said upthread, maybe the best thing is to try to be as humane as possible. None of us delights in torturing animals and we probably all have had/have pets we care for, perhaps love. And most all of us eat hairy things that had parents. Animals are lovable but they are yummy. These are not the easiest qualities to reconcile.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Blake,Since

Sandycane wrote:

Blake,

Since cj, Terelek and especially atheistextremist get the gist of what I'm saying, I have to conclude you are just being argumentative or dense - maybe both.

That's irrelevant to the points I have made.

If you even did care, you would see that I have addressed both cj and Atheistextremist- not that that's any of your business.

And you want to claim that Terelek agrees with you as an argument in your favour?  Terelek's thoughts on anything involving logic don't really carry any weight, so even in your world where somehow appeal to authority is a way to get out of answering to criticism, you've probably chosen a poor bedfellow.

You, however, have conveniently ignored every point I have made by throwing out a band wagon of red herring (and one which ignores that more than half the people here are arguing against you if that even were a point), and failed to answer the questions posed.  You're dishonest with yourself to the point that it bleeds over into your elective perception even in a discussion.

Sandycane wrote:

I'm talking about how I feel on the subject, not declaring that everyone else should feel the same as I do.

Bloody hell, yes you very f*cking well are.  Look here- You demand that everybody agree with your personal whim on what constitutes animal abuse by submitting to law based on it:

Sandycane wrote:

EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES TO ANIMAL ABUSE: ANYONE WHO ABUSES ANIMALS SHOULD BE LOCKED UP. 'Animal abuse', IMO, includes everything from keeping a dog on a 3' chain 24/7, sticking a fire cracker up a cats butt, to having sex with your pet goat. It does not include humanely raising and slaughtering animals for food purposes.

You're demanding laws- that apply to EVERYBODY, and force EVERYBODY to do or not do what you think is right- which relate to "animal abuse", which must be interpreted exclusively by YOUR arrogant opinion of what it constitutes and what it excludes- assertions on your part made without any semblance of reason.

You say "IMO", but that means jack shit when you're purveying absolute and totalitarian demands like this.

"There should be laws to kill you IMHO, oh no! No offense!  That's just my opinion.  I'm not forcing it on anybody- I'm just going to go over here and call my congressman and vote for those laws. Lalala, I can't hear you!"

@*&#%^#!  This shit is f*cking farcical!

Well little miss, it will probably surprise you to learn that, contrary to your magical thinking, other people have different opinions which are just as valid as yours, and in the opinions of others, animal abuse may or may not include any of those things or more- you're being completely arbitrary in your classification of what constitutes animal abuse.  You're excluding everything YOU like to do, and including everything you just happen not to like- OH MY DOG!  HOW CONVENIENT!!

Most importantly, you're FORCING that on everybody by willing the government to bow to your self righteous opinion of magical universal morality.  You fancy yourself the sole arbiter of universal human morality- news flash:  YOU ARE NOTHING OF THE SUCH.

Sandycane wrote:
I don't know why this is so difficult for you to understand.

Nothing about this is difficult for me to understand.

Not you.  Not what you're claiming.  Not what you're demanding of society.

I understand that YOU can't separate moral opinion from objective fact, and that YOU think you have the right to impose YOUR opinion- which YOU fancy to be some obvious universal moral fact that anybody who disagrees with you just "doesn't understand"- of what is proper treatment of animals upon all of society by demanding laws to comply with it and throw people in prison (or shoot them) when their actions disagree with YOUR moral mandates.

What you don't understand is that morality is relative, and what constitutes abuse of animals is not for you to decide (despite your trivial attempts at diffusing this with your farcical disclaimers)- you are not the queen of the universe with the exclusive authority to dictate moral law to all of us lowly mortals.  There is also NO magical moral law out there that you and you alone have the divine ability to tap into and know, and that everybody who doesn't agree with is wrong.  Morality is RELATIVE.  There is no good or evil.  ABUSE is a subjective term that will forever depend on opinion, and YOUR opinion is not to dictate that.

Once you come to understand that, maybe you can take a little dose of humility and come back to discuss this like a sane and rational human being and stop insisting that your arbitrary and contradictory opinions be codified into law for enforcement upon all of society.

Rather than dictating to all of us what YOU know is immoral- what YOU know to be abusive to animals- maybe you can consider others' opinions as to what constitutes animal abuse?  Hmmm?  WHAT A NOVEL IDEA, WOW!

Hell, maybe you can even be insightful enough to consider the opinions of the animals being abused?  Because frankly, I f*cking doubt very much that it makes a bloody difference if you're "thankful" after you brutally slaughter them or not.  Maybe they had something they were planning to do that day?  Maybe it wasn't much more than peck around for seeds, sniff a few butts, or roll in mud, but I very much doubt that most of them wanted to be killed for your whim, and I doubt very much that any of them would give a flying f*ck how reverent or irreverent you are after the fact- they'd f*cking dead.

You are blithely ignorant and apparently incapable of comprehending that there could be any opinion on morality other than your own, whether equally or even *gasp* more valid, and blind to the possibility that your opinion of what constitutes animal suffering might just mean jack shit to any other party involved.

Your opinion: "'Animal abuse', IMO, includes everything from keeping a dog on a 3' chain 24/7, sticking a fire cracker up a cats butt, to having sex with your pet goat. It does not include humanely raising and slaughtering animals for food purposes." = SHIT.

Try to get that through your head.  It's worthless.  Are you getting this?  No?  Probably not.

I'll try to explain just a little of why that is (I know you will probably choose to ignore it or misunderstand it, but maybe somebody with an ounce of sense will read this and, with more patience than I have, be able to phrase it in whatever terms you might comprehend):

It's based on NO social reasoning (e.g. social contract- and is in fact in serious violation of social contract).

It's based on NO more objective standard (say, pain or suffering as experienced by the only party that matters?).

It violates Occam's razor up and down with a rusty nail gun and rancid sentiments of convenience (tack on a few dozen more arbitrary exceptions, why don't you?).

Alas, it's very likely that you have chosen to ignore most of what I've said, and have at this very moment begun building a new straw man to argue with if enough actually did get through your morally self-righteous head to be misunderstood.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:And now back to

Blake wrote:

And now back to a more interesting conversation- social contract (sorry for the delay Beyond Saving)

Beyond Saving wrote:

No. I believe we should go kill those people, but it isn't based solely on morality reasons. People who enslave others are a danger because one day they may decide to enslave me, my family or someone I care about. So in the interest of self and family preservation, those types of people should be killed. Basically, the best way to ensure your own freedom is to help protect the freedoms of others you might not care about.

Note my emphasis.  That's pretty broad-- what if I care about the cows somebody is abusing on a farm? (I do, but that's beside the point)

You can't extend social contract that far without arriving at certain unintended consequences.

So, lets stick to the possibility of them enslaving YOU (which is what social contract is about), and we can consider family to be your property.

Yes it is rather broad and I'll admit arbitrary. I draw the line at all humans living within the state. My reasoning is that the main purpose of living in a state as opposed to anarchy, is an attempt to get along. While the argument can be made that we are not that different from other animals, a state is created mainly for the purpose of protecting humans from humans. I don't see a reason to extend it further than that. Of course, some might argue that the contract should also extend to unborn humans. I disagree, but I think you reach a point where the exact line that a social contract should have becomes a matter of preference and taste. Some people liked living in Hitler's Germany as much as we love to use it as the portrait of all evil in our rhetoric today. Since I am a born human, it is possible that in a society that allows abuse to certain types of humans that abuse will eventually reach me. For example, with slavery you are right, generally the slave is well defined legally. However, that definition has been known to change. My personal liberty is endangered on two fronts, first the definition may expand to include me, second even if danger of expanding to me isn't very large because I am solidly in the protected class the danger of the enslaved class eventually overthrowing the slavers and doing some pretty nasty things to me for revenge is quite real.

I believe the most pleasant society is based on the premise "I promise not to do x to you if you don't do x to me." And we can argue all day about what should be included in x. Although, I do feel the need to point out that this type of society has been shown to be inherently unstable. From a purely rational viewpoint of what kind of society is going to remain stable for the longest period of time slavery, conquest and inequality can have stabilizing factors. My preference is to live in a society that is inherently unstable and attempt to keep it together as long as possible. Most people today don't seem to realize this but states based on democracy and the idea of universal human equality do not have a promising history.

Blake wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

I don't see why the penalty should be more severe if I kill him because he is immoral than if I kill him just because I felt like it. Either way, I murdered a random person and should go to jail for a very long time if not life.

Oh ho!  But it's not random. 

If you killed him because he was immoral by your opinion, there is a very non-random force involved.  Applied to a society, this means more people who are judged 'immoral' by the majority are killed than those who are not.

If the law does not step in and increase the punishment beyond a mere "cost of doing business", then this bias becomes a de facto mob law against the immoral practice.

Lets say that the penalty for killing somebody is a shiny nickel.  A hugely disproportionate number of 'immoral' people (by the opinions of the majority) would be killed as compared to 'moral' people.

Increasing the penalty will potentially decrease the number of murders in general, but until the penalties are balanced using hate crime laws to the point that it's just as likely that an "immoral" person will be killed as a "moral" one (that is, until it is actually random), then there is in fact the force of a law against that immoral practice.

Does that make sense?

Yes, I see your point on a theoretical level and will concede it. However, I don't see how it could work on a practical level. Why go through the effort to determine a persons motivation for committing murder when it is obvious that no matter what the reason was the practiced punishment was not severe enough to deter the murderer. The law is attempting to stop 100% of murder, not to make different types of murder occur in equal amounts. In the fat man scenario I was assuming that committing a murder would essentially screw my whole life so in some respect pushing the fat man would be the equivalent of jc choosing to jump. I would be sacrificing my freedom, and perhaps life, to save the people on the ground, who would have to be something really special to get me to give up my freedom. There comes a point where it is simply impossible to make a law severe enough so the only way to equalize the likeliness of an immoral person and a moral person being killed would be to reduce and maybe even eliminate the penalty or actually create a large reward for killing the moral person and thus make it more likely I would push the moral person.

Your rational legal system has to take into account that much of the time people are not rational and do not do things for rational reasons.

Blake wrote:

Exactly, and that applies to everybody- thus creating an atmosphere of physical persecution without regards to the law- the precise thing that the law is supposed to prevent.  When the law does not prevent that, the persecution becomes the new law of the land- a moral law.  It can be just as effective as if it were on the books- there's no practical difference.  That's why a society founded purely on social contract must have laws acting to protect people from moral persecution, wherein they are acting in accordance with the social contract but in contrast to the morality of the public- and those laws must be strong enough to overcome the "cost of doing business" attitude displayed in a society whose majority is carrying out that moral punishment despite the letter of the law.

Except there is no such thing as a law that is strong enough. People will always break laws and there will always be some situation where a person will decide whatever the laws punishment, their illegal action is worthwhile. To the point that if the punishment is so horrible (say extreme torture) a person will break the law and then promptly kill themselves. Then the danger with an extremely aggressive law is always the practical matter of determining actual guilt. I used to be all for capital punishment, but recently I have changed my opinion because determining guilt can never be perfect and it is highly likely that sooner or later the state will kill someone who did not break the law. With a social contract, it isn't any more right for the state to break the contract than it is for an individual to break it. And while it is impossible to prevent 100% of the breeches on both sides it is important that both sides believe the other is doing its best to uphold the contract. 

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Now, I wonder where

this is going to go next...

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:In

Atheistextremist wrote:

In terms of the disagreement I don't think you can eat most kinds of meat without an animal being distressed or inconvenienced in some way. So there is a double standard there - intentional or not.

Exactly.  *If* we use a metric of suffering, unless you *have to* eat meat, you can't justify that action over another that also causes suffering.  And none of us have to eat meat- some just think it tastes good.  That acceptance of pleasure (taste) at the cost of suffering.

You were hypocritical when you socked the guy on the beach: He enjoyed the sound of the *thwack* against the octopus, or the sight of it squirming.  He was accepting that pleasure at the cost of the octopus' suffering.  You enjoy the taste and smell of a cooked animal that has suffered to provide that for you.  You accept that pleasure at the cost of that animal's suffering.

That is, *if* we use the metric of suffering- you've no place to judge the octopus thwacking guy, and you probably owe him an apology (or you don't owe him an apology, but you do owe one to the cow).  You can't continue to engage in both behaviors and maintain consistency.  By smacking the guy, you were imposing your standards upon him, but not following them yourself.

Atheistextremist wrote:

There's part of me that thinks this dispute relates to the ambiguity of language. While Sandy says she'd kill a person for harming an animal, she's probably saying deliberate abuse of animals makes her blood boil.

If it only makes her angry, and she doesn't do anything about it to impose her conflicted morality on others, then that's another matter.  She made it very clear that we should have laws to put those people in prison- that is, she wants her morality forced on others at gun point.

Mellestad doesn't like seeing people abuse animals for fun, same with Beyond Saving, but the recognize that they can't force their perspectives upon others because in another way, they do the same thing.

Sandycane doesn't understand that- she thinks her way of abusing animals is a special exemption, and that her moral perspective on the prohibition of over ways of abusing animals should be forced on everybody else.

Atheistextremist wrote:

Animals are lovable but they are yummy. These are not the easiest qualities to reconcile.

Right, which is why people such as Sandycane turn to delusional thought processes and compartmentalization to avoid dealing with those conflicting feelings.  She wants to have her animals and eat them too.

I think it is for us rational thinkers to rise above that kind of behavior, and those illogical thought processes- and hold each other to that.

We can either recognize that we have no place to impose our beliefs on practices that are within the bounds of the social contract, or we can engage with an internally consistent and preferably objectively sourced moral system, and comply with it ourselves before attempting to hold others to those standards.

The former means we also have to turn a blind eye to men who cut off their wives' noses, human slavery, or even farms that raise small children for sex and then kill them at puberty for entertainment and soft human meat.  Personally, I don't prefer that- but that's just me.  Mellestad and Beyond Savings seem to prefer that minimal social contract approach- and as long as they don't protest slavery and those kinds of abuses of women and children, I can't criticize them for hypocrisy.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: and

Atheistextremist wrote:

and get the differences of opinion. Sandy - if you were in the wilds you'd kill a creature as best you could to survive, wouldn't you? I would, myself. I did once sock a bloke who was whacking an octopus with a tennis raquet at the beach. Then i probably had a steak sanga or a meat pie for lunch. Maybe the intention to cause suffering - the lack of empathy - is the issue for Sandy?

In terms of the disagreement I don't think you can eat most kinds of meat without an animal being distressed or inconvenienced in some way. So there is a double standard there - intentional or not. There's part of me that thinks this dispute relates to the ambiguity of language. While Sandy says she'd kill a person for harming an animal, she's probably saying deliberate abuse of animals makes her blood boil.

In Oz we have a dispute with Japan over an issue like this. They kill whales in our declared marine sanctuaries and while the govt does nothing, private interest groups attack the whaling ships and protest over their killing the whales with grenade-tipped harpoons. In response the japanese accuse us of killing and eating kangaroos and cattle and suggest the 2 things are the same. Interestingly whale watching in Oz is a more valuable industry than whale meat in japan. And most the whales watching customers are Japanese. Go figure.

As sandy said upthread, maybe the best thing is to try to be as humane as possible. None of us delights in torturing animals and we probably all have had/have pets we care for, perhaps love. And most all of us eat hairy things that had parents. Animals are lovable but they are yummy. These are not the easiest qualities to reconcile.

Exactly.

Problem is, there are some people who delight in torturing animals - and other people for that matter. Those who abuse animals usually go on to abuse humans. That is one reason why there are laws to punish those who abuse animals.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I see what you are saying

Blake wrote:

That is, *if* we use the metric of suffering- you've no place to judge the octopus thwacking guy, and you probably owe him an apology (or you don't owe him an apology, but you do owe one to the cow).  You can't continue to engage in both behaviors and maintain consistency.  By smacking the guy, you were imposing your standards upon him, but not following them yourself.

We can either recognize that we have no place to impose our beliefs on practices that are within the bounds of the social contract, or we can engage with an internally consistent and preferably objectively sourced moral system, and comply with it ourselves before attempting to hold others to those standards.

The former means we also have to turn a blind eye to men who cut off their wives' noses, human slavery, or even farms that raise small children for sex and then kill them at puberty for entertainment and soft human meat.  Personally, I don't prefer that- but that's just me.  Mellestad and Beyond Savings seem to prefer that minimal social contract approach- and as long as they don't protest slavery and those kinds of abuses of women and children, I can't criticize them for hypocrisy.

I do agree my morality is subjective opinion based on the nature of my own upbringing and I agree being angry over animal abuse and eating meat is technically inconsistent.

I'd still respond harshly to some one who harmed animals for sadistic pleasure. This may not be strictly consistent but there's a difference between some one who kills something from hunger and some one who just beats the everloving shit out of something for sport, right?

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Blah, blah,

Blake wrote:

Blah, blah, blah...

I've seen 'social contract' quite a bit in this thread so, I looked it up. A social contract, agreed upon by the members of a particular society, for the benefit of that society, is not written in stone and is most certainly not objective. Nor is the social contract of one society universally accepted or, recognized by members of other societies. This 'social contract' that you keep waving around is determined by people like me - and you. Fortunately, there are more people like me who feel that it is WRONG to torture animals just for the fun of it.

And still, you can not see the difference between whacking an innocent creature purely for the enjoyment of seeing it writhe in pain and agony and humanely killing it for food. I think you are intentionally being obtuse.

Did you forget to take your meds today or, are you always this hysterical?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

this is going to go next...

lol, yeah this might be one of the most diverse threads we have ever had. The topic seems to change with every post.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Yes it

Beyond Saving wrote:

Yes it is rather broad and I'll admit arbitrary.

Social contract is NOT arbitrary. 

I could just as well extend 'social' contract to arbitrarily include cows- but that's not the way it works.  That wouldn't be mere social contract anymore.

Social contract is minimal: the extent to which you arbitrarily extend those rationally minimal protections is the precise extent to which you are imposing your moral law upon the system-- it's also the precise extent to which you are being a hypocrite Eye-wink  Didn't you say you weren't imposing moral law?  Hmm...

In short- no, you may not do that.  If you're doing that, it's no longer social contract, and you have no place calling it that.  Call it, instead "Beyond Savings brand totalitarian moral law".

Beyond Saving wrote:
I draw the line at all humans living within the state. My reasoning is that the main purpose of living in a state as opposed to anarchy, is an attempt to get along. While the argument can be made that we are not that different from other animals, a state is created mainly for the purpose of protecting humans from humans. I don't see a reason to extend it further than that.

You don't see a reason to extend it further than that because there isn't one- the same reason there's not a reason to extend it beyond the participants of the social contract that actually have something to offer.  There is reason to consider children to be property, but there is no reason to extend social contract to them.

So yeah, I have to call bullshit Sticking out tongue .  The state is not made to protect humans from humans- it's to protect a certain group from their own members and others.  That group is made up of those capable of bargaining for their positions into the social contract.

You don't crack me over the skull with a rock in my sleep because I don't crack you over the skull with a rock in your sleep- but the two year old doesn't have the strength or the coordination to threaten either of us, nor does the two year old possess the social reasoning skills or inhibitions to control his or herself if he or she did- not all humans are logically included in the social contract.

Like I said, there's a reason to include them as property- you don't steal my child because I don't steal yours- but they are not members of the social contract until they reach such an age that they have enough bargaining power to enter into it and gain mutual protection.

Beyond Saving wrote:
Of course, some might argue that the contract should also extend to unborn humans. I disagree, but I think you reach a point where the exact line that a social contract should have becomes a matter of preference and taste.

No, no you don't, at least not at any point remotely near that.  The only ambiguity that comes in is how great a threat another member needs to be in order to be included, and that is at the determination of the member in the social contract- nobody else.  That is, as members of the social contract, will we allow in those who are a small threat, or only an equal threat?  There are costs and benefits to each decision.

A baby is NEVER a threat.  And a fetus?  Seriously?  Don't make me laugh.

An adult woman can be a threat to men- if she has a knife, a particularly sharp rock, or has the jump on you in your sleep.  Particularly if she has a gun- that was a great equalizer.

If a social class- women, slaves, any particular group- are sufficiently suppressed and controlled (such as by denying them weapons and education, or instilling a religion that demotivates any uprising), then there is no simple basis for including them in the social contract.

Beyond Saving wrote:
Since I am a born human, it is possible that in a society that allows abuse to certain types of humans that abuse will eventually reach me.

What, are you going to reverse age into a child?

You don't seem to understand the basis of social contract- once in, unless you violate it, you're in.  Even if reverse aging was a thing, that would be covered  by social contract.

You don't smash my head in with a rock when I am asleep, become sick, get old, turn into a baby, etc., because I don't smash your head in with a rock when you come about similar conditions.

Beyond Saving wrote:
My personal liberty is endangered on two fronts, first the definition may expand to include me, second even if danger of expanding to me isn't very large because I am solidly in the protected class the danger of the enslaved class eventually overthrowing the slavers and doing some pretty nasty things to me for revenge is quite real.

1. Changing definitions of social class are usually matters of war or political coup.  That's not an argument, because that applies regardless of whether your society has slaves or not.  We could all be taken as slaves tomorrow regardless of what we do today.

2. Keeping anything is a liability.  A beekeeper's bees might sting somebody.  Pigs might get out and attack people (they tend to be pretty pissed off when you keep and abuse them for years, randomly slaughtering them for food too).  Anything can go wrong- it is a necessity of social contract that we require people to guard others against potential harm their actions could cause.  This is also not an argument.

You're really grasping at straws here- perhaps because you don't want to admit the obvious?

That's not to say that there aren't other reasons to argue against slavery- there are, but most of them (e.g. efficiency, pathology) also apply to arguments against animal agriculture- there just aren't social contract arguments against it.  Nor are there against raising babies for food, or many other actions we might personally find unpleasant.

Beyond Saving wrote:
Yes, I see your point on a theoretical level and will concede it. However, I don't see how it could work on a practical level.

It's the basis for hate crime laws on the books, is it not?

This may be easier to understand in terms outside the context of murder.

So, here we have Joe the homophobe.  Joe is drunk, and he wants to start a fight- it's something he's going to do.  Well, he would just beat up the guy with the X sports team hat, but he's pretty sure he's going to spend the night in county lockup anyway, so he might as well make it worth it.  He heads over to the local gay bar and finds an easy target walking home and beats the hell out of him instead.

Even with a reduced capacity to think, the bigot is able to consider that if he's going to get in trouble, he might as well make it worth it and beet up on a type of person he doesn't like.

There are a f*ck load of Joe homophobes out there, and in that atmosphere, with an exceedingly higher incidence of violent assault and harassment where the perpetrators accept the consequence as the price for a night of fun, being openly gay is effectively illegal.

Sure, in an ideal world we'd crank up the penalties for assault until people stop beating each other up at all- that's just not practical, though.  People aren't going to stop committing crimes.  We don't have enough jails, or enough funding for the jails, many of the perpetrators don't have enough money to pay larger fines and are probably in dept, and if we tried to just kill all of them we'd have more appeals than we knew what to do with and our justice system would be choked to a stand-still.

What if stealing a dollar was treated as the same crime as stealing a million dollars?  The motivation in the latter case is much higher- obviously nobody is going to bother with trying to steal dollars anymore for the same penalty.  Either you lock up everybody who steals a dollar, or you issue a minor citation to the ones who steal a million- in any case, people will be driven to the higher payoff.  If that higher payoff happened to be beating up a homosexual, everybody who was aiming for a fight would do that.

When there are different motivations for the crime, it's effectively a different crime with regards to how it needs to be treated, and the punishment has to be proportional to the motivation to stop it from happening.  If it isn't, this is funneling aggression towards a minority with whom the majority disagrees, and that produces a very hostile atmosphere that encroaches on the civil liberties of that minority (which the law should be defending)- making a law that discriminates against the minority by failing to protect them from the proportionate hostility they face.

Beyond Saving wrote:
Except there is no such thing as a law that is strong enough.

Punishment of extreme crimes is a tricky situation in any case (hate crime or not).  Maybe discussing something more along the lines of theft or assault will help put it into more manageable perspective.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Blake

Sandycane wrote:

Blake wrote:

Blah, blah, blah...

I've seen 'social contract' quite a bit in this thread so, I looked it up. A social contract, agreed upon by the members of a particular society, for the benefit of that society, is not written in stone and is most certainly not objective. Nor is the social contract of one society universally accepted or, recognized by members of other societies. This 'social contract' that you keep waving around is determined by people like me - and you. Fortunately, there are more people like me who feel that it is WRONG to torture animals just for the fun of it.

And still, you can not see the difference between whacking an innocent creature purely for the enjoyment of seeing it writhe in pain and agony and humanely killing it for food. I think you are intentionally being obtuse.

Did you forget to take your meds today or, are you always this hysterical?

Blake, take a pill, smoke, deep breath, listen to classical music, meditate or whatever your personal preference is to calm yourself before your head explodes, Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

The crux of the question Sandy is what basis the laws have and how do you determine what IS abuse to animals. For example, you seem to have no problem with owning pets. Many people believe that owning a pet is akin to slavery. There is a rather large movement in the US called PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) that has freeing all animals from bondage as one of their main goals. The central question is, what makes YOUR moral ideas right, but theirs wrong? I'm sure you would consider it wrong to keep a human around as a "pet" so why is it ok to do so to an animal? And when it comes to creating laws, which random moral line do we follow? Is it simply whatever the majority thinks?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:This

Atheistextremist wrote:

This may not be strictly consistent but there's a difference between some one who kills something from hunger and some one who just beats the everloving shit out of something for sport, right?

Not to the animal.  As far as they know, pain is pain, suffering is suffering, death is death.  Maybe you would gladly sacrifice yourself for a noble ideal of feeding somebody else, but I don't pretend to believe that the animals people are eating have that inclination- I doubt that most of them have any awareness of why they are being killed; just the fear and knowledge of the fact at hand.

But here's where you're really off: nobody here is killing animals for actual hunger- not a one of us.  If you're using a computer, on the internet, there is absolutely no reason you need to be killing any animals for food.  The only people on Earth who actually do kill animals for hunger don't have access to this forum to debate the matter- and probably can't read or write to begin with.

Anybody here who eats meat is demanding the killing of (and associated pain experienced by) those animals for nothing more than a taste sensation.

You have plenty to eat that is not made from dead animals- you just don't like the taste quite as much- it's not your hunger that you're satisfying, it's a craving for a pleasurable taste experience.  Please don't try to obfuscate that fact by using suggestive words like "hunger" that make it sound different from any other visceral craving.

A sportsman just as much has a figurative 'hunger', or 'craving', to kill for fun and sport as you do for the taste and smell.  Another might have a 'hunger' for the experience of dog fighting, and the thrill and fun of that.  This is not an inherently different experience- it's a matter of pleasure and personal taste- you're just using different physical senses to experience it.

The hunter or dog fighter is using sight and sound, you're using taste and smell.

Ask any dog fighter if he or she wouldn't mind using p-zombie dogs, or a deer hunter if he or she wouldn't mind hunting p-zombie deer, and... well, you'll probably get a blank stare from most of them.  But from those of them who understand the Concept you would likely find indifference or agreement that the p-zombies would be preferable.

Those who "abuse" animals in various other ways do so for reasons no less legitimate than your culinary preferences.

Taste preferences are no more an excuse to exempt the harm to animal from the qualification of abuse than are visual, aural, or tactile preferences of others.

Sandycane wrote:
I've seen 'social contract' quite a bit in this thread so, I looked it up.

GFY, but you still have no idea what we're talking about; our context is not general, but specific to the theory of the minimal social contract as prescribed by deductive reason following from the basis of society.  Read it again after you've taken a few political science classes and have managed to remove your head from the place it is malodorously lodged.

To the point, you obviously have no intention of answering the criticisms leveled against you, little doubt because you are unable, and you're evidently incapable of making any valid point in support of your arguments; you evidently have no place in an adult discussion. 

If by a long shot you ever manage to grow a bit of humility, I'd be willing to try again, but as it stands you are impertinently thankless.  Feel free to continue embarrassing yourself, but don't expect me to respond to your stupidity- others are certainly more able to tolerate idiocy than I am, so perhaps they will be more charitable in helping you understand the miscarriages of logic you've been perpetrating and *possibly correcting them. 

*I suggest possibility only in the sense of that which remains at odd to astronomic improbability, not that I find it remotely likely to occur within the lifetime of our universe.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I see nothing wrong with

I see nothing wrong with having pets. Pets like to be petted and live better in our houses than in the harsh conditions outside. Take Garfield for exemple; he is a fat cat who sometimes pets his owner instead. They are happy and that's what is important 

As a human, I wouldn't mind to be petted by some women... 

You see in all these subjects the motivations and attitudes are really what matter! If your attitude is selfish, cruel, arrogant or irrational. Suffer for the sake of suffer, pain for the sake of pain, than it is wrong.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: Blake,

Beyond Saving wrote:

Blake, take a pill, smoke, deep breath, listen to classical music, meditate or whatever your personal preference is to calm yourself before your head explodes, Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Haha, I'm chill now.  My snark has been vented before it hit critical mass Eye-wink

Thanks for replying to that, though.  You're O.K. Beyond Saving.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:The crux

Beyond Saving wrote:

The crux of the question Sandy is what basis the laws have and how do you determine what IS abuse to animals. For example, you seem to have no problem with owning pets. Many people believe that owning a pet is akin to slavery. There is a rather large movement in the US called PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) that has freeing all animals from bondage as one of their main goals.

I am aware of who PETA is and while I think some of their tactics are over the top, I also think they are necessary for the protection of animals. If they weren't so extreme, no one would pay any attention to them and nothing would be done about animal abuse.

I just went to their web site and found a summary of a book comparing animal 'slavery' to African-American slavery. I didn't see where PETA endorsed this view. I also found an article praising the efforts of a couple of chicken factories to reduce the trauma inflicted on the chickens in the killing process.: http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2010/10/22/peta-makes-waves-in-chicken-farming-industry.aspx 

There was another article offering advice on how to keep your pet safe during Halloween: http://www.peta.org/living/Animal-Friendly-Fun/keep-your-animals-safe-and-happy-this-halloween.aspx 

I didn't see anywhere on their site where their goal is to 'free all animals from bondage' as you claim...just the opposite by offering advice on how to keep your pet safe. 

Quote:
The central question is, what makes YOUR moral ideas right', but theirs wrong? I'm sure you would consider it wrong to keep a human around as a "pet" so why is it ok to do so to an animal? And when it comes to creating laws, which random moral line do we follow? Is it simply whatever the majority thinks?

Pretty much it. If you live in India, your social contract forbids eating cows. If you don't agree, move to the USA where you can get a nice juicy steak.

Again...the issue is not forbidding people from eating meat, it's forbidding torture.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Beyond Saving

Blake wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Yes it is rather broad and I'll admit arbitrary.

Social contract is NOT arbitrary. 

I could just as well extend 'social' contract to arbitrarily include cows- but that's not the way it works.  That wouldn't be mere social contract anymore.

Social contract is minimal: the extent to which you arbitrarily extend those rationally minimal protections is the precise extent to which you are imposing your moral law upon the system-- it's also the precise extent to which you are being a hypocrite Eye-wink  Didn't you say you weren't imposing moral law?  Hmm...

In short- no, you may not do that.  If you're doing that, it's no longer social contract, and you have no place calling it that.  Call it, instead "Beyond Savings brand totalitarian moral law".

I like the sound of that. I need a t-shirt that says that. 

Blake wrote:

So yeah, I have to call bullshit Sticking out tongue .  The state is not made to protect humans from humans- it's to protect a certain group from their own members and others.  That group is made up of those capable of bargaining for their positions into the social contract.

Ah, but the question is exactly how you define the group. And how is your definition anything but as arbitrary as mine? A slave can be a threat, even when aggressively repressed. Even a child can become a threat as soon as they become physically capable of picking up and using a weapon. I use the rather broad group of all humans living within a certain geographical area. But how is that any more or less arbitrary than saying all adults except group x which we call slaves? And with children exactly where do you draw the line? A 15 year old can be as much a threat as an 21 year old. Of course, our current society doesn't extend full social contract status to the 15 year old. The line really is determined at the founding of the contract and which groups are included or excluded is really a preference of the groups holding power while creating the society. 

Blake wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:
Since I am a born human, it is possible that in a society that allows abuse to certain types of humans that abuse will eventually reach me.

What, are you going to reverse age into a child?

If I can figure out how to do that I will rule the world!!! Here comes Beyond Savings Totalitarian Moral Law, if you want my secret reverse aging process, obey my law. Hehe.

Blake wrote:

That's not to say that there aren't other reasons to argue against slavery- there are, but most of them (e.g. efficiency, pathology) also apply to arguments against animal agriculture- there just aren't social contract arguments against it.  Nor are there against raising babies for food, or many other actions we might personally find unpleasant.

Agreed, that is why I said

Beyond Saving wrote:
Of course, some might argue that the contract should also extend to unborn humans. I disagree, but I think you reach a point where the exact line that a social contract should have becomes a matter of preference and taste.

My point is that which groups are included and which are excluded is determined by the powers that be when it is created and or changed. There really is no social contract reason against enslaving people with red hair if people with red hair are not in a position of significant enough power when the contract is created. Although, I believe that a strong argument can be made when creating a social contract that people with red hair should be included because while they might not have power now, they may in the future and cause a revolution thus destroying the social contract. So in an attempt to make the social contract more stable it may be in the interest of the social contract to include people who do not pose an immediate threat but may be a potential threat in the future. The same argument could be made for children, who if abused under the contract might rebel against it when they get older and become a threat. I'm not saying it is a necessity of the social contract, but something that should be considered when determining which groups are in and which are not.

Blake wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:
Yes, I see your point on a theoretical level and will concede it. However, I don't see how it could work on a practical level.

It's the basis for hate crime laws on the books, is it not?

Yes it is, and I am against hate crime legislation.  

Blake wrote:

Sure, in an ideal world we'd crank up the penalties for assault until people stop beating each other up at all- that's just not practical, though.  People aren't going to stop committing crimes.  We don't have enough jails, or enough funding for the jails, many of the perpetrators don't have enough money to pay larger fines and are probably in dept, and if we tried to just kill all of them we'd have more appeals than we knew what to do with and our justice system would be choked to a stand-still.

True. The best we can achieve is to set punishments that reduce the infractions but do not overly tax our available resources. 

Blake wrote:

What if stealing a dollar was treated as the same crime as stealing a million dollars?  The motivation in the latter case is much higher- obviously nobody is going to bother with trying to steal dollars anymore for the same penalty.  Either you lock up everybody who steals a dollar, or you issue a minor citation to the ones who steal a million- in any case, people will be driven to the higher payoff.  If that higher payoff happened to be beating up a homosexual, everybody who was aiming for a fight would do that.

The analogy doesn't follow. Stealing a dollar and stealing a million dollars are cases of different crimes not different motivations. If you steal a dollar, you have only caused $1 of damage to another person in the social contract. If you steal a million dollars you have caused a million dollars of damage. Both could have the same motivation. For example, maybe the thief is stealing it to make a house payment. In the first, the thief only needed a dollar, in the other the thief needed a million (it was a really nice house). 

You have pointed out we have limitations in our resources as far as how much punishment we can/want to deliver. It makes sense that the punishment be related to how much damage was caused by the breech in the contract. If you punch someone it probably isn't worth the resources to punish you as much as if you beat someone to the point they are hospitalized. 

Blake wrote:

When there are different motivations for the crime, it's effectively a different crime with regards to how it needs to be treated, and the punishment has to be proportional to the motivation to stop it from happening.  If it isn't, this is funneling aggression towards a minority with whom the majority disagrees, and that produces a very hostile atmosphere that encroaches on the civil liberties of that minority (which the law should be defending)- making a law that discriminates against the minority by failing to protect them from the proportionate hostility they face.

And you think that by giving a minority extra special protection doesn't? Hate crime laws essentially give one group more protection from the social contract than another group. If you are a homosexual, you will always be able to claim that anyone who assaulted you did it because you were gay. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to determine what a persons motivations were. If a straight man beats up a homosexual they will likely face extra punishment even if the motivation was completely unrelated to the victims sexual preference. If I were to beat up my neighbor because I don't like barking dogs is my infraction of the social contract really any worse than if I beat him up for being gay? If I get off with a smaller penalty for beating up the neighbor with the barking dog, doesn't that help create a hostile atmosphere against people who own barking dogs? If the owner happened to be homosexual, he gets special protection. 

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Beyond

Sandycane wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

The crux of the question Sandy is what basis the laws have and how do you determine what IS abuse to animals. For example, you seem to have no problem with owning pets. Many people believe that owning a pet is akin to slavery. There is a rather large movement in the US called PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) that has freeing all animals from bondage as one of their main goals.

I am aware of who PETA is and while I think some of their tactics are over the top, I also think they are necessary for the protection of animals. If they weren't so extreme, no one would pay any attention to them and nothing would be done about animal abuse.

I just went to their web site and found a summary of a book comparing animal 'slavery' to African-American slavery. I didn't see where PETA endorsed this view. I also found an article praising the efforts of a couple of chicken factories to reduce the trauma inflicted on the chickens in the killing process.: http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2010/10/22/peta-makes-waves-in-chicken-farming-industry.aspx 

There was another article offering advice on how to keep your pet safe during Halloween: http://www.peta.org/living/Animal-Friendly-Fun/keep-your-animals-safe-and-happy-this-halloween.aspx 

I didn't see anywhere on their site where their goal is to 'free all animals from bondage' as you claim...just the opposite by offering advice on how to keep your pet safe. 

PETA Statement on Companion Animals wrote:

In a perfect world, all other-than-human animals would be free of human interference, and dogs and cats would be part of the ecological scheme, as they were before humans domesticated them and as they remain in some parts of the undeveloped world.

And there are various quotes from people high in the organisation making similar statements. 

But how widespread this belief among PETA members is irrelevant to the discussion. I was simply pointing out that some people view what you do as immoral. So what basis do you use to determine that your morality is the one that should be adopted by society? As opposed to those who think owning a pet is the same as slavery?

Sandycane wrote:

Quote:
The central question is, what makes YOUR moral ideas right', but theirs wrong? I'm sure you would consider it wrong to keep a human around as a "pet" so why is it ok to do so to an animal? And when it comes to creating laws, which random moral line do we follow? Is it simply whatever the majority thinks?

Pretty much it. If you live in India, your social contract forbids eating cows. If you don't agree, move to the USA where you can get a nice juicy steak.

Again...the issue is not forbidding people from eating meat, it's forbidding torture.

The issue is not forbidding eating meat or forbidding torture. The issue is WHY should society follow your morality as opposed to something else. Why not Beyond Savings Totalitarian Morality?

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Blah, blah, blah

Blake wrote:

Blah, blah, blah and.... more blah...

I know you don't intend them to be but, I just wanted to let you know your replies are seriously funny.  You definitely win the prize for Biggest Anonymous Ego. 

(Anonymous? Ego?...hmmm, must give you one hell of an inferiority complex. )

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote:Ah, but

Beyond Saving wrote:

Ah, but the question is exactly how you define the group. And how is your definition anything but as arbitrary as mine?

The group is that which is mutually recognized to make up the equal parties in the social contract.  It's not arbitrary, it's relative, emergent and self-defined based on rational principles and common grounds, but there can be many layers and types of social contracts coexisting among the same population.

The most common legal grounds would be a class of citizens inhabiting a state- you are right in that a 'state' represents the typical bounds of a social contract's reach (although states may engage in treaties with each other).

Beyond Saving wrote:
A slave can be a threat, even when aggressively repressed.

Mostly a threat to the owner.  And if the slave escapes or kills the owner, laws that integrate the slave into the social contract would eliminate said slave's motivation to pose a threat.  Slavery has been a long held and extremely stable system throughout history.  Yes, there are slave revolts and occasionally somebody who isn't involved is killed- but likewise non-human livestock have escaped and hurt or killed people too.  Like I said, it's about the liability inherent in an action- and that's a different matter; one not exclusive to slavery.

Beyond Saving wrote:
Even a child can become a threat as soon as they become physically capable of picking up and using a weapon.

And a cow, a horse, a pig, or even a dog can be a pretty serious threat even without any additional weaponry- and no less mentally competent than a young child (and probably much more coordinated).

All property can be dangerous- that isn't the metric- it's about being an imposing threat; something not controlled by the other- which is also capable of entering into the mutual social contract for mutual benefit.

Beyond Saving wrote:
I use the rather broad group of all humans living within a certain geographical area.  But how is that any more or less arbitrary than saying all adults except group x which we call slaves?

You weren't just using that; you were implicitly imposing that on all societies without taking into account the true minimum of what a pure social contract represents.

I'm not saying you have to designate a group x which are slaves- just that it is permissible.  And it's not arbitrary if that group is already enslaved- if group z has full control over group x and group z is forming a social contract, there's no reason in accordance with a pure social contract to include group x unless there are other significant mitigating factors at play.

If a society has already formed, and somebody wants slaves, that person can not take slaves from other people in the society, but may bring in people from another area that are not covered by the social contract- or make new people- to serve as slaves.  Provided that person maintains full control over that slave population and prevents it from being a threat to you, there is no reason to argue against it on the basis of social contract.

Beyond Saving wrote:
And with children exactly where do you draw the line? A 15 year old can be as much a threat as an 21 year old.

This isn't the problem you make it out to be.  One can draw the line as late as one is willing to use the resources to control them.  If you want to keep them as slaves until 30, force them into military service for a time before they can be citizens, or anything you like, then that would be your prerogative.

If a father decided not to free his children to become members of society, but instead keep them as slaves, then it would be *his* responsibility to make sure he kept them under control, and any liability they posed would be his to bear.

It's only a question of how much time, and how much resource expenditure, the controlling parties are willing to bear.

Beyond Saving wrote:
The line really is determined at the founding of the contract and which groups are included or excluded is really a preference of the groups holding power while creating the society.

Any additional concessions of membership the group grants- such as mandating that all 15 year olds are citizens- is above and beyond what the social contract calls for.  The most basic social contract calls only for admitting those who must be admitted, or appropriately dealing with those who are not (by expelling, killing, enslaving, etc.).  Where there's a lower cost to society to admit the party than to otherwise deal with the party, or that party would provide something of greater value if admitted, then the social contract would call for that party to be admitted.  The only major point of subjectivity that comes in to play there is the potential benefit v.s. risk (like any investment)- but in no case does that preclude a fully controlled and impotent class of slaves/children sex toys/pigs provided the expenses are taken to adequately mitigate the risks as per that society's comfort level.

There's some pretty complicated cost and benefit analysis that goes on there- complex to the point that it is arguably impossible to come up with a perfect solution for most societies- but the more objective basis is there, and there are some pretty obviously subjectively repulsive things that can be permitted under a system guided purely by rational social contract.  You have yet to provide a reason why a baby sex factory that rapes the babies to death before they're old enough to pose any threat is a violation of social contract (provided the babies aren't stolen, etc.)- social contract can permit, in most modern opinions, some pretty f*cked up shit.

Beyond Saving wrote:
My point is that which groups are included and which are excluded is determined by the powers that be when it is created and or changed. There really is no social contract reason against enslaving people with red hair if people with red hair are not in a position of significant enough power when the contract is created. Although, I believe that a strong argument can be made when creating a social contract that people with red hair should be included because while they might not have power now, they may in the future and cause a revolution thus destroying the social contract.

Pigs might spontaneously develop opposable thumbs by way of mutation and overthrow human society.  Aliens might touch down on Earth and determine that humans, an 'inferior' species, is not deserving of freedom from slavery because we haven't granted the same to those species 'inferior' to us. 

There are quite a few things that *might* happen.  I hope you agree that the burden of proof would be on you to demonstrate how that's at all probable- and that it would be a consideration of risk/benefit that the society would have to make by weighing the risks against the economic benefits.

If the power over the redheads was weak and tenuous, then you might have an argument.  If they were quite thoroughly overwhelmed, owned, denied weapons, education, possessions- you wouldn't have much of one.

Either way, you're missing two important mitigating points:

1. The social contract is primarily a matter of interest in the now- people aren't traditionally concerned with what might happen in a hundred years.

2. When a lower class rebels, they typically only seek admission into the social contract, and not total overthrow of society.  That's not a big risk, except to the owners- who are the ones that stand to benefit and chose whether to own redheads or not.

Beyond Saving wrote:
So in an attempt to make the social contract more stable it may be in the interest of the social contract to include people who do not pose an immediate threat but may be a potential threat in the future. The same argument could be made for children, who if abused under the contract might rebel against it when they get older and become a threat.

You're grasping for straws again.

There is basis in social contract to outlaw certain kinds of abuse of children who will certainly come to be part of the social contract- we don't exactly want society flooded with homicidal maniacs, so running a maniac making factory would be frowned upon- but if the children will not be released into the society (for example, if they will be harvested for meat), then there is no argument there.

However, even for children who will become adults who will be allowed into the social contract, I think you may find that human psychology makes them more likely to become their parents than to fight the system that abused them as children.  In either case, at the time that they would come into power, if they were allowed to be free, they would have nothing to fight against but themselves.

Bleak?  Yes, I never said it wasn't.

Like I said, I somewhat disagree with social contract as the only basis for society.  It permits some kind of f*cked up shit.

Beyond Saving wrote:
You have pointed out we have limitations in our resources as far as how much punishment we can/want to deliver. It makes sense that the punishment be related to how much damage was caused by the breech in the contract. If you punch someone it probably isn't worth the resources to punish you as much as if you beat someone to the point they are hospitalized.

I think you're missing the damage that is done in mass via persecution.

My point was that of two crimes with the same penalty, the criminal will choose the crime with the greater reward.  If there is a prejudice against a kind of person, criminals who hate them will target those people unless there's something there to stop them.

In a country where law enforcement is pretty good, that may not be a strong force, but there are some countries where you can't be an atheist- though the law 'allows' it, the penalty for assault is non-existent or not practiced, and a known atheist would be beaten up so often as to make it effectively illegal to not believe in Allah.

There must be stronger enforcement or harsher punishment for hate crimes, otherwise you just have moral law by virtue of mob rule.

Beyond Saving wrote:
And you think that by giving a minority extra special protection doesn't? Hate crime laws essentially give one group more protection from the social contract than another group.

If it's abused, it does.  There are questions of burden of proof, but I don't think that's a reason to throw the baby out with the bath water- just because practice is difficult, doesn't mean we should give up and completely defer to mob moral law.

Even in some places in the middle east where Sharia may not be on the books, it's still law.

Social contract amounts to nothing if it's not protected against impositions of moral law by inhabitants.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: PETA

Beyond Saving wrote:

In a perfect world, all other-than-human animals would be free of human interference, and dogs and cats would be part of the ecological scheme, as they were before humans domesticated them and as they remain in some parts of the undeveloped world.

And there are various quotes from people high in the organisation making similar statements. 

Let's see how this would actually work out: Let's say Jan 1 2011 a new law goes into effect saying all domesticated animals are to be set free. I guarantee by Jan 1 2012, there would be a new law saying it is okay for anyone to shoot a stray animal caught destroying their property. There would be packs of wild, starving, rabid dogs and cats roaming everywhere. The Wildlife Foundation would need to set up hunting seasons for cats and dogs just as they do now to control the deer population. Not good for the animals. Animals that are kept as pets are - generally - kept well fed, vaccinated and cared for as an additional member of the family. Same with animals raised for food - those raised in a humane way are in far better shape than those found in the wild. There is no profit to the farmer in raising sick, underfed livestock.

Quote:
But how widespread this belief among PETA members is irrelevant to the discussion. I was simply pointing out that some people view what you do as immoral. So what basis do you use to determine that your morality is the one that should be adopted by society? As opposed to those who think owning a pet is the same as slavery?
 As I said above, it is better for the animal. 

Quote:
The issue is not forbidding eating meat or forbidding torture. The issue is WHY should society follow your morality as opposed to something else. Why not Beyond Savings Totalitarian Morality?

I know I've answered this before... people who abuse animals 'usually' go on to abuse humans. It is better for society to identify these sickos and put them away before they do harm to other humans.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: PETA

Beyond Saving wrote:

The facts are, we don't live in a Perfect World and animals need humans to protect them from other humans. If you are asking why my belief that animal abuse should be punished is more valid than the belief that it is okay to abuse animals, all I can say is, 'It just is'...and the fact that there are laws that protect animals from abuse is proof that my belief is the more popular one in our society.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Atheistextremist wrote:Now

Atheistextremist wrote:
Now I wonder this is going to go next...

Wow! This thread simply does not track.

Sandy, if you were a dude if Afghanistan, you would need to be married by age five or you will never get laid. The fact is that the seven year olds already have five wives.

You would be left with no option but camels. Here is the deal, a camel's girly bits are two meters off the ground. Since the US is almost in a position to force laws on them, if you don't care much for bestiality, then you should lobby for a ban on step ladders.

Not that the US doesn't have a problem with who gets laid how they want. The thing is that here, if 50% +1 voter has an opinion on whether people should be allowed to get laid by someone with the same body parts, that can go in the state constitution.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote: The facts

Sandycane wrote:

The facts are, we don't live in a Perfect World and animals need humans to protect them from other humans. If you are asking why my belief that animal abuse should be punished is more valid than the belief that it is okay to abuse animals, all I can say is, 'It just is'...and the fact that there are laws that protect animals from abuse is proof that my belief is the more popular one in our society.

Okay, Blake.  My previous post was only a very small portion of my opinion on this subject.  I agree with Sandycane - this world is not perfect.  My opinions are not consistent or even logically rational.  We need animal abuse laws because some people are sick.  For those who have missed it in previous threads I posted on, my husband and I have been involved with dog rescue both as members of an international dog rescue association and as private rescue.  Also, my husband used to work as an environmental/health inspector.  I have seen (and smelled) the results of abuse and neglect personally.

People who abandon kittens by dumping the barely weaned babies out in the country because "they can take care of themselves in the country" should go directly to a very special place in hell.  But there is no law against it in many counties.  Some counties do have a law, but it is almost impossible to enforce as you have to be able to identify the person doing the dumping. 

People who turn their dogs loose in the country because "some farmer will really want this untrained herding / hunting bred dog" should also go straight to hell.  The farmer doesn't want or have time to train said untrained dog.  If the dog is very lucky, they will be picked up by animal control and then farmed out to some rescue sucker - like me.  We will nurse the dog back to health, remove the parasites, fix the injuries, get the weight back on, and groom the coat back to a glossy shine.  Then we house train them and get some basic obedience on them and finally find them a new home and beg for a few dollars in donations to try to offset the thousands we suckers spent on the dog.  My household has suspended our rescue efforts while I am unemployed as we just can't afford it now.

Two veal operations.  Operation A has small fenced areas right next to a busy county road.  Each area is spotlessly clean.  There is a plastic shelter in each area large enough the calf can easily get inside.  The calves are obviously healthy, kicking around, enjoying the sun.  Operation B is well off of any main roads.  The calves are confined to a plastic shelter with no space to run and are not allowed in the sun.  They are standing in their own feces and have been long enough to literally eat the skin off of their lower legs - the part of the leg that is always covered in muck.  Operation B finally got enough complaints that the state shut them down - the county has no jurisdiction over farming or ranching in that particular state.  IMNSHO, Operation B not only should have been fined and their right to raise veal taken away, they too should wind up in a special area of hell.

In Japan, as I am sure you know, there is special beef that is raised on sake mash, massaged, not allowed to move around, but kept spotlessly clean until the steer is slaughtered with a minimum of pain and fuss.  Because that makes the beef more tender.  I see no problem with this method.

Puppy mills should have very strict and draconian inspections.  Because it is so easy to skimp on necessary vet care and socialization of the pups.  Individual breeders of dogs who sell on contracts, provide vet care, never have more than one litter at a time, are probably okay to license, and maybe inspect every other year.  Why?  Because I have experience with both and I can tell you that one is more humane and likely to remain more humane than the other.  Pet hoarders are mentally ill and should not be allowed any pets.  Why?  Because they are ill and often do not have the funds to care for the animals nor to even realize they are not caring for the animals properly.  My experience.  Sandycane has told us she rescues animals as well - her experience is not to be diminished just because it is her personal experience.

Yes, it is largely arbitrary, dependent on local morals and standards of cleanliness, and the attitudes of the people involved vary widely.  Each county has different animal abuse laws.  But I think we can all agree that some abuse is senseless and actually counterproductive to the goals stated by the owners of the operation.  It is that pyramid of self justification again.  A person starts out with good intentions then makes a bad decision, does a little self justification, then proceeds to make another bad decision.  We need animal abuse laws to help these people get back on track or to at least stop them from abusing any more animals.

I think it is pretty arbitrary of you, Blake, to insist all animal operations are abusive.  There is a difference between whacking an octopus with a racket and offing little octopi for tako salad (a Hawaiian dish, not at all like the taco salad based on Mexican cuisine).  There is a difference between a ranch where the livestock are treated with care and one where they are abused and/or neglected.  Yes, it is a matter of degree.  Yes, we can all disagree on some points, but I think we would all agree on others.  And our local animal control laws express that balance of opinion.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:
Now I wonder this is going to go next...

Wow! This thread simply does not track.

Sandy, if you were a dude if Afghanistan, you would need to be married by age five or you will never get laid. The fact is that the seven year olds already have five wives.

You would be left with no option but camels. Here is the deal, a camel's girly bits are two meters off the ground. Since the US is almost in a position to force laws on them, if you don't care much for bestiality, then you should lobby for a ban on step ladders.

Not that the US doesn't have a problem with who gets laid how they want. The thing is that here, if 50% +1 voter has an opinion on whether people should be allowed to get laid by someone with the same body parts, that can go in the state constitution.

This one is too easy.  What is legal - consenting adults.  Why bestiality is not legal - animals can not legally (or otherwise) consent.  Duh.  Allowing old goatish men to marry little girls should be illegal.  It is only legal in Afghanistan because Muhammad married a six year old girl and had sex with her - according to the Quran story.  Consent was/is not a part of this relationship and it should be illegal to marry people younger than the legal age of consent.

But in Afghanistan and some other countries, adult women do not have the right to consent or refuse either.  And that is also fucked.  Is it my opinion important to these people?  No.  Is my opinion going to change their opinion?  No.  It it all relative?  No.  Because there are good and valid societal gains from giving all adult persons the right to consent or refuse.  There are good and valid biological and psychological reasons for insisting on "adult".  Hunt up the damn sociological and psychological studies for yourself.

Like every other law, it is arbitrary and I know that.  In many countries, 18 or 21 is the age one can enter into a legal and binding contract as long as there is no question of your "compos mentis".  Some states in the US still insist on allowing people younger than the legal age of consent to enter into a marriage contract.  This is arbitrary and ridiculous - again IMNSHO.

Just insisting on consent and some vague definition of adult is arbitrary.  I know this.  We rock along on the big circus ball trying to get things "right".  Hopefully, we can steer things into some sort of "better" in some sort of near term future.

So do we outlaw step ladders?  No, we insist on adult consent - in some sort of definition we can all agree upon based on sound sociological and psychological research - for entering into binding contracts.

Sandycane
atheist
Sandycane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thank you cj, again, for

Thank you cj, again, for expressing my thoughts and feelings so well.

I just found an article and book on this subject...One is a book by Carole Pateman and the other a review of a book by Martha Nussbaum : Frontiers of Justice: Disability, Nationality, Species Membership.

Nussbaum hits the nail squarely on the head regarding a 'social contract' and how it should include animal rights:

"Just because you don't have a fully functioning mind doesn't mean you don't deserve to be treated with respect. Analogously, just because an animal has immediate, practical intelligence rather than self-conscious reaction doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be treated with dignity. Our choices effect the lives of non-human species every day, and often cause them enormous suffering. Animals are not simply part of the furniture of the world; they are active beings trying to live their lives; and we often stand in their way. That looks like a problem of justice"

From Ms. Nussbaum's book:

"These commonalities sometimes inspire sympathy and moral concern, although they are more often treated obtusively.'

That would be YOU, Blake.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a pointless question

nevermind... but yeah, "needs before desires".  It is one thing to fuss about personal morals and values being shot down, but in the face of death they take a distant 2nd place to survival.

Also, any hypothetical that relies on a false dichotomy is usually a clumsy hypothetical. Most of the OP qualifies...

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
G'day Kap

How's it going? Hope all well.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:nevermind...

Kapkao wrote:

nevermind... but yeah, "needs before desires".  It is one thing to fuss about personal morals and values being shot down, but in the face of death they take a distant 2nd place to survival.

Also, any hypothetical that relies on a false dichotomy is usually a clumsy hypothetical. Most of the OP qualifies...

I'm with you on that one, Kap. 

How goes the battle?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:But I think we can

cj wrote:

But I think we can all agree that some abuse is senseless and actually counterproductive to the goals stated by the owners of the operation.

What if the stated goal of the operation is abuse?  How are you to say that's unacceptable?

What if the goal of the operation isn't abuse, but is itself a wholly unnecessary goal and inextricably linked to certain abuses?

I think you can see where I'm going.

We could mandate with reasonable objectivity that facilities do not cause unnecessary abuse as per efficient pursuit of their "stated goals".  But what of those goals themselves?

Are there not some goals less worthy than others?

Medical animal testing may save people's lives, but what does the manufacture of foie gras do that's so essential? Hmm?

Yes, if you want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs- but you completely avoid the most important question here: do we really *need* to be making omelets?  The abuse that occurs from that is just as much chosen as any other- no matter how great or small it may be.

cj wrote:

I think it is pretty arbitrary of you, Blake, to insist all animal operations are abusive.

I'm not insisting that any of them are or are not objectively abusive- I'm insisting that it's an opinion, and that my opinion is no less valid than yours, is no less valid than the opinion of the sadistic dog-fighter.

There is one opinion that might be a little more relevant to the question, though- the ones who are actually suffering the abuse.

cj wrote:
There is a difference between whacking an octopus with a racket and offing little octopi for tako salad (a Hawaiian dish, not at all like the taco salad based on Mexican cuisine).

You really think it makes a big difference to the octopodes?

cj wrote:
There is a difference between a ranch where the livestock are treated with care and one where they are abused and/or neglected.

Wonderful, a lesser of two 'evils'- why don't we all start up a kiddie sex farm where the rapists use lube and lay off the cattle prods a little?  That totally justifies the action as moral.

Seriously, I can imagine an even *lesser* 'evil'- I bet you can too.  It's just that nobody wants to deal with the implications of that.

There is no legitimate argument for these farms existing at all beyond consumer demand for the taste of meat.  That taste is no objectively different from any other fetish, be that foie gras or baby sex.

cj wrote:

What is legal - consenting adults.  Why bestiality is not legal - animals can not legally (or otherwise) consent.

Ohhh, so if you want to have sex with animals, you need their consent, but if you just want to kill them, then you don't.

Wonderful, another special exception to add to the list of universal moral mandates.

Apparently bodily autonomy doesn't mean enough to have a say in whether one will live or die, but it does grant one choice in sexual partners?

Personally, I'd rather be raped than murdered- I don't know about you- I think it would be more than fair to stay on the safe side and say that the same probably applies to most species.

But no- we don't care what they want, we only care what we want.  Because not as many people want to have sex with animals, we'll make that abhorrent and abusive, but because so many people want to eat them, we'll make killing them A-O.K.

cj wrote:

Just insisting on consent and some vague definition of adult is arbitrary.  I know this.

And yet you argue with me on that point?  Because that *is* my point- and particularly this:

cj wrote:
We rock along on the big circus ball trying to get things "right".  Hopefully, we can steer things into some sort of "better" in some sort of near term future.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do by arguing that we be more consistent in our approach to respecting the autonomy of other living things- rather than granting special exceptions when we want to taste them.  Just because the majority wants to do something that harms animals, doesn't make it any more right than what the minority wants to do that harms animals- recognition of this can serve to foist an uncomfortable matter into the mind and encourage re-evaluation of our own actions as they relate to animal treatment.

You recognize your inconsistency- why don't you acknowledge consistency as a possible solution, or at least a step in the right direction?

cj wrote:

Yes, we can all disagree on some points, but I think we would all agree on others.  And our local animal control laws express that balance of opinion.

So, lets all take care to maintain the status quo and respect the arbitrary will of the majority no matter how inconsistent, irrational, or harmful it may still be, because it justifies our moral stagnation.

In other words:

'Don't rock the boat Blake- we feel uncomfortable when you point out our contradictions.  We don't like to be encouraged to re-evaluate our moralities and face up to those conflicting actions we take.'?

Hey, I saw some interesting quotes recently:

Einstein wrote:
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.

Interestingly, he became a vegetarian later in his life (I'm not sure what year this quote is from, I just saw it on a forum somewhere... I wonder where...)

Nussbaum wrote:

Just because you don't have a fully functioning mind doesn't mean you don't deserve to be treated with respect. Analogously, just because an animal has immediate, practical intelligence rather than self-conscious reaction doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to be treated with dignity. Our choices effect the lives of non-human species every day, and often cause them enormous suffering. Animals are not simply part of the furniture of the world; they are active beings trying to live their lives; and we often stand in their way. That looks like a problem of justice

That's a wonderful quote- if only the people saying that kind of thing would live up the the implications instead of choosing hypocrisy out of personal convenience...

Now if only I could remember where I found that... hmm...

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Are you a vego, Blake?

Just wondering.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:Are

Atheistextremist wrote:

Are you a vego, Blake?

Just wondering.

I am, and I don't currently ask anybody to act in accordance with my opinions- I just ask for consistency in acting in accordance with their own.

I don't believe people have the right to ignorance.  It's not 'evil' that is the cause of most suffering, but willful ignorance on the part of those who don't want to be inconvenienced by their own culpability.

If people didn't have the luxury of brushing off the pain they cause with illogical rationalizations, they might actually have to confront their own actions with the moral regard due to them and seriously consider whether their beliefs justify those actions, or if they aren't really being just as bad as those they criticize.

If somebody wants to campaign for animal rights, that's awesome, but they had damn well better hold themselves to what those standards represent before they look to imposing them on others.

As I've expressed formerly, I'm not so sure that a society based purely on a raw social contract where baby sex factories are A-O.K. is necessarily a good thing. 

Holding ourselves to a higher moral standard can be respected, even if it's not pragmatic in any other way, but let that standard adhere to at least a semblance of rationality and objectivity, rather than the whim of the majority's fancy and convenience. 

As it stands these people live by a farcical and internally contradictory standard that serves as nothing more than a codification of the collective's illogical rationalizations; an authority set to ensure the stagnation of moral progress for years to come.  Trying to eliminate the resultant suffering while feeding into the willful ignorance that causes it is counterproductive.

You can polish a turd as much as you want, but it's still a turd.

Given the general quality of idiocy and self-delusion that humans express, it might be unlikely that society can aspire to being much more than a polished turd- but as people who claim to make some attempt at being rational, I think we can do a bit better than that, personally.  For all of our impotence in acting upon society at large for change, there is one thing we do have complete control over- ourselves.

It's remarkably easy to do what one believes is the right thing once one stops avoiding that conclusion with broken logic.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sandycane wrote:Beyond

Sandycane wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

Let's see how this would actually work out: Let's say Jan 1 2011 a new law goes into effect saying all domesticated animals are to be set free. I guarantee by Jan 1 2012, there would be a new law saying it is okay for anyone to shoot a stray animal caught destroying their property. There would be packs of wild, starving, rabid dogs and cats roaming everywhere. The Wildlife Foundation would need to set up hunting seasons for cats and dogs just as they do now to control the deer population. Not good for the animals. Animals that are kept as pets are - generally - kept well fed, vaccinated and cared for as an additional member of the family. Same with animals raised for food - those raised in a humane way are in far better shape than those found in the wild. There is no profit to the farmer in raising sick, underfed livestock.

Quote:
 As I said above, it is better for the animal. 

Quote:

I know I've answered this before... people who abuse animals 'usually' go on to abuse humans. It is better for society to identify these sickos and put them away before they do harm to other humans.

So using your logic we should go out and domesticate every single animal in the world? After all, they will be a lot better off. We should also readopt slavery because there is a lot of evidence that blacks in America are better off in terms of health. Slavery is ok, as long as you do a good job taking care of them?

Also you don't believe an animal population can regulate itself? One of the main reasons we need hunting to actively control the deer populations (efforts which have universally failed) is because of the lack of predators (caused by us). Releasing cats and dogs recreates natural predators that were here before us. True, due to the sheer number that would be released at once one could expect a dramatic lowering in prey populations. However, given time the cats and dogs that are incapable of finding food would die. The predator population would swing down and the prey population rises. We see it all the time in coyotes and bobcats, why do you think dogs and cats would be different?

Arguing that people who abuse animals might indicate they will go on the abuse humans is the most rational argument you have made throughout the thread. It is the rest of the arguments that are weak. Such as why are humans superior to animals. I argue we aren't except I happen to be human, I have the power, and you animal are not in my social contract. Mmmmmm..... tasty. On one hand you say abuse to animals is ok in the case of eating them but not ok when done for fun. Does the animal care? 

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ok - I appreciate the heat of your position far better now.

Blake wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Are you a vego, Blake?

Just wondering.

It's remarkably easy to do what one believes is the right thing once one stops avoiding that conclusion with broken logic.

But how deep does the rabbit hole go?

In your morality is it the higher orders that are aware of pain that you resist harming through abuse - including eating? What about living plants? If we take universal ultruism to the ultimate conclusion - and harm nothing - can we still exist?

You obviously have a balancing point in your own system. Where is it? What plant and animal products can we use given - and i say this without application of tongue to cheek - that we could probably get by on navy beans in tomato sauce and whichever fruits and veg we could discover whose seeds prefer a little digestion with their distribution?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:In Japan, as I am

cj wrote:

In Japan, as I am sure you know, there is special beef that is raised on sake mash, massaged, not allowed to move around, but kept spotlessly clean until the steer is slaughtered with a minimum of pain and fuss.  Because that makes the beef more tender.  I see no problem with this method.

That isn't exactly true. Tajima cattle are raised remarkably like, well, cattle. The majority of the stories made up about them are old wives tales. I'm not sure if they were created by the genius of the Kobe company or just by tourists coming home and exaggerating because of the phenomenal beef combined with the Japanese not talking about how the meat got that good. American farmers have tried the massaging techniques, beer, sake etc. in an attempt to recreate the texture but ultimately, woo woo does not defeat great genetics. And since the Japanese won't export their best Tajima cattle you have to pay for a ticket to Japan just to eat it. I hear the Wagyu beef gets close and it is very tasty but I have not had the opportunity to go to Japan yet. It is on my bucket list.