American Atheist Plagiarizes Acharya's Work?

Dave22
User is offlineOffline

Quote:

"I stumbled across the article below while reading about the survey on Religious Literacy in America and taking an interest in a piece written by American Atheist President, Dave Silverman. While browsing articles on the American Atheist website I discovered what appears to be a serious case of plagiarism.

The following article purports to have been written by one "Edward Kagin," who is a lawyer and member of American Atheists' Board of Directors, serving as National Legal Director.

The comparisons to the original are provided below the quote in blue. As we can see, it's a virtual lift from Acharya's book The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold (1999). "

http://www.freethoughtnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=21268#p21268

As someone else pointed out:

"If Acharya is so wrong then why are highly respected atheists such as "Edward Kagin," who is a lawyer and member of American Atheists' Board of Directors plagiarizing her work and trying to pass it off as their own? Doesn't this fly in face of those atheists who are so rigidly against Acharya and her work?"

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Response from American

Response from American Atheists:

Quote:

Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth was published in 1941 and is now published by American Atheists press. Edwin surely got some info from there, as possibly did Acharya. Accusations of plagiarism are unwarranted

Dave22
User is offlineOffline
Here is the response to

Here is the response to American Atheists on that.

Acharya said she hasn't read that specific book.  Please cite the pages.

"The plagiarism has already been established...

"those lists were originated by Acharya S, in her own words, and where she's quoting or paraphrasing others, she cites her source. She did not copy them from anyone."

http://www.freethoughtnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=21490#p21490

If you read threw that thread it's blatantly obvious that Kagin plagiarized Acharya's work even if it wasn't intentional.

Here's the post from Blair Scott from American Atheists providing a comment from Kagin
http://www.freethoughtnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=21484#p21484

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Is it just me or does this

Is it just me or does this stuff read like "It is impossible for one person to come to the same conclusions as another independently (unless you're Acharya S)"?

I'm also not crazy about this case being tried in the court of her fans' opinions.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Since when did anybody care

Since when did anybody care about what American Atheists had to say?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Since

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Since when did anybody care about what American Atheists had to say?

We all dig following shit-storms.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Acharya has a Hindu surname

Acharya has a Hindu surname yet isn't she a white female atheist?  Can someone please expound on that?

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Acharya has a Hindu surname yet isn't she a white female atheist?  Can someone please expound on that?

nom de plume (pen name)

— George Carlin

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

nom de plume (pen name)

It just seems strange that she'd choose a Hindu name if she has no connection at all to Hinduism.  She could not actually be a Hindu but still like the stories, the culture, the food, or the names or something.

So does she have ANY kind of a connection at all to Hinduism?

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Dave22
User is offlineOffline
It's posted in her FAQ'sWhy

It's posted in her FAQ's

Why does Acharya S use a pen name?
http://www.freethoughtnation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=4756#p4756