Where have they been? Media now reporting Pew survey, atheists know more about religion.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where have they been? Media now reporting Pew survey, atheists know more about religion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/us/28religion.html?_r=4&hp

direct link to the study: http://www.pewforum.org/Other-Beliefs-and-Practices/U-S-Religious-Knowledge-Survey.aspx

WHAT A SHOCKER.

New survey says we know more about religion than our believing counterparts. DUH!

Now, the stereotypical question we often get is why? If we don't believe in their superstitious garbage, why do we bother?

Because it affects all aspects of life, from personal, to political, to global.

I once got yelled at by a man who saw my atheist bumpersticker "WHY, if you don't believe why do you quote the bible"?

That is so stupid. That would be like an offense in an NFL game complaining that their QB got sacked because of their bad offensive line.

I think if anyone makes a claim ON ANY ISSUE, only a fool blindly accepts it. If your position is worth holding, it should be able to withstand being kicked around. If a claim ON ANY ISSUE, cannot be kicked around, then maybe the person holding that position should rethink that position.

We know more about religion because we don't blindly buy what people sell. Most believers simply buy what the guy in the pulpit sells them and then go home on sunday and watch NASCAR or NFL.

WE DO recommend that EVERYONE read from cover to cover their holy books. How anyone can buy magical fantastic claims of "poof" "god did it" and not see that it is merely myth, requires one to suspend skepticism and questioning.

If one can accept that the sun is not a thinking being, as once believed by the Ancient Egyptians, then it should not be a stretch to reject, even the generic claim of a brain with no brain or body, or cerebellum, or neurons. Much less one that pops adults of dirt, screws virgins without a penis or sperm.

There is no such thing as a disembodied brain or "chosen people". Deities are merely anthropomorphism as a reflection of human ignorance as a placebo gap answer in an attempt to protect our own egos.

Why do atheists know more about religion than most religious people? Because we don't let fear or ignorance stop us from questioning. Questioning set norms is why blacks are no longer slaves. Questioning is why women can vote now. Questioning is why we know what an atom is, and what neurons are. Questioning is why we no longer believe the earth is flat.

Questioning is good and is the only way to filter out crap.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I avoid many discussions

I avoid many discussions that I know will lead nowhere due to the vacant expresion and cro-magnon sloped brow of the person engaging me with entry-level theocrisy by asking them simply if they've read the Bible... As they stammer through their lie,  I suggest the International Standards version,because its written in the simplest English....and to come back after they know what they're arguing for...

Laughably, most claim that a catholic education is sufficient.... but I believe that what most really mean is "I watch Fox News, they tell me all I have to know about the bible"...

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: We know more

Brian37 wrote:

We know more about religion because we don't blindly buy what people sell. Most believers simply buy what the guy in the pulpit sells them and then go home on sunday and watch NASCAR or NFL.

WE DO recommend that EVERYONE read from cover to cover their holy books. How anyone can buy magical fantastic claims of "poof" "god did it" and not see that it is merely myth, requires one to suspend skepticism and questioning.

If one can accept that the sun is not a thinking being, as once believed by the Ancient Egyptians, then it should not be a stretch to reject, even the generic claim of a brain with no brain or body, or cerebellum, or neurons. Much less one that pops adults of dirt, screws virgins without a penis or sperm.

There is no such thing as a disembodied brain or "chosen people". Deities are merely anthropomorphism as a reflection of human ignorance as a placebo gap answer in an attempt to protect our own egos.

Why do atheists know more about religion than most religious people? Because we don't let fear or ignorance stop us from questioning. Questioning set norms is why blacks are no longer slaves. Questioning is why women can vote now. Questioning is why we know what an atom is, and what neurons are. Questioning is why we no longer believe the earth is flat.

Questioning is good and is the only way to filter out crap.

Excellent points Brian.  We are kindred spirits. Don't you believe in spirits?

To put in succinctly we perfrom DUE DILLEGENCE before we blindly believe crap! 

To quote the great NON-Christian founding father of America, Benjamin Franklin, "To go by faith is to be BLIND to reason".

If people just performed a simple historical review they would see that Moses cleary did NOT exist and it's 99.9% certain that Jesus did not exist and even if he did it was NOT the Jesus of the bible. It was simply a person they drew inspiration from to fabricate the biblical Jesus! After all Greek writers wrote about Zeus and Hercules and Greek writers wrote about Jesus and NEITHER have any corroboration OUTSIDE the bible!!

Christians are OWNED like they've been for the past 2000 years and like how they always will be!!

P.S. Brian, why couldn't your Skins beat the Rams?? The Rams are 1-27 in their last 28!! That was pretty sad by the Skins!

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
I say this earlier grate

I say this earlier grate find imho  

also you make some good points brian37, but how do the mormons know the most now ?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well Fred

Adventfred wrote:

also you make some good points brian37, but how do the mormons know the most now ?

It's all because they are wearing magical Reginald Grundies...

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
This article is hilarious.

This article is hilarious. Hispanic Catholics fail.

45% of people think that the Golden Rule is one of the Ten Commandments.

No, the Old Testament isn't that wise and civilized, sorry.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I went over to my mother's

I went over to my mother's place after posting this, took her out to lunch. While leaving her place for lunch I told her about this. So we get back to her room sure enough, she turns on CNN and there is the story.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
P.S. Brian, why couldn't your Skins beat the Rams?? The Rams are 1-27 in their last 28!! That was pretty sad by the Skins!

Why do you like rubbing salt in my wounds? You know at this point, I'd almost rather go to church. WHY DON'T YOU DUCK MY SICK FUTHER MUCKER! You you you so and so............Why do people like making me cry?  I WANT MY MOMMY! FIND A HAPPY PLACE!

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bill Maher was on Joy

Bill Maher was on Joy Behar's show last night and he said when he toured the country doing his movie "Religilous" he found out that religious people know absolutely nothing about religion!

He said many of them actually DON'T want to know so they can fantasize about it any way they want!

As far as Mormons go it's probably because they actually require and push their members read their lunacy.  But the atheists/agnostics still scored higher than they did and quite a lot higher.

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

It's all because they are wearing magical Reginald Grundies...

well said mate