Former Catholics question?

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
Former Catholics question?

For all those former Catholics on the boards, what is your current body of knowledge on the Catholic church?

As in have you read the Catechism of the Catholic Church, any of the early Church Father's writings, papal encyclicals, or the Bible (completely).

I would like to qualify reading to mean actually attempting to understand what is written, as one would do so with an article in a science journal or precious document. Or have you just read the materials as you would read a comic strip, with no effort to understand the meaning, contents, and background.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff. -The Doctor

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
How long does mummified

How long does mummified flesh last in a sealed container?

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper wrote:This is a

Cliff Jumper wrote:

This is a response to PJTS comments on Judaism:

It is not required in Jewish law or God's law to get married; however, if two people are married and fertile, than they are to be fruitful and multiple.

My argument in regards to the pill was not that. It was that the acceptance of contraception in Judaism and all other major Christian denominations, except Catholicism, is relatively recent. No Jew in the time of Christ accepted birth control and neither did Jesus. As for allowing the use of condoms in some cases because of it protecting existing life is completely against God's law. Murdering another for the sake of another is never permissible in God's law. 

As for the "Jesus stealing corn" I believe you are referring to Mark chapter 2 verses 23-28. In this case He and His disciples were munching on grain seeds, which is akin to picking a couple of blackberries on a bush on the side of a country road. This is not stealing. This is and was completely acceptable in God's law and Jewish law. What Jesus and His disciples did is known as the gleaning laws. Gleaning was a way to feed the poor, which was required by God's law. This was laid out in Leviticus chapter 23 verse 22. Harvesters were not to harvest the edge of their crops and suppose to leave what fell on the ground after the harvest for the poor. This is what Jesus and His disciples were doing. In fact in that Gospel reading you mentioned it states that Jesus and His disciples were walking beside the field. This particular part of the Gospel dealt with the pharisees trying to trap Jesus into admitting to work on the sabbath. This was not the case however as gleaning was permitted.

Another example of how Mosiac law differed from God's law is that of divorce. God under no circumstances allowed divorce; however, Moses allowed divorce under the Hebrew law. This is laid out well in Mathew Chapter 19 verses 1-12.

Give me a few more days and I'll provide some more.

I'm well aware of the gleening laws in the OT, as in Levitcus and shown in Ruth. The stealing was a smart alec comment, no more. What Jesus was accused of was working on the Sabbath and he was justified as was David to sustain life per the Law. Jesus and his rebels likely could have been pursued at this point by Herod and were in need of food thus allowing it.

OT laws in regard to divorce were blessed by the god. If you can find in the OT where god says Moses Law conflicts to his law please document.

The NT  quote you cite is NT and only indicates what Jesus Believers thought, find it in the OT where the god disagrees with Deuteronomy 24. 

Remember, Yahweh is very fickle and given to changing his mind as well shown in the OT. Citing Genesis is before Yahweh altered his directions and promises. Find it somewhere in the OT after Moses.

What is it you think, Moses pulled this law out of the air? 

If so, you are not far from finding the truth.

If Moses made this particular law up or pulled it out of the air, maybe he pulled all of them out of thin air.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Actually PJTS et. al. have not proven they understand better than I do. PJTS did not seem to know about Jewish gleaning laws, and he did not read Mark chapter 2 versus 23-28 correctly. As for many of the others they have made incorrect statements about the Catholic faith and the Christian faith in general.

One Pope cannot cancel out the edicts of another pope.

Give me some time on the shroud. Between this, masters course and trying to find a job. I like to use my little free time to relax and play War for Cybertron.

Make one smart alec comment and look what you get.

You make conclusions about gleaning from a single statement and thus conclude I have no understanding. No wonder you are a theist.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse quote:Lack of

Anonymouse quote:

Lack of abstinence and self control education ? Since Pepfar that's all they've been getting as far as prevention was concerned, so there is no lack whatsoever. Obviously, and according to the authorities who have to deal with this situation, it's not working, and they're putting the C back in.

You also seem to be skipping a lot of steps. First came the aids awareness campaign. Then they switched to the abc-program. Then numbers started going down, and kept going down, thanks to organisations such as TASO , the Kibale Tree Planting Project, and people like Philly Lutaya who helped break the taboo.

Then came Pepfar and up went the numbers.
Actually, they've been up for longer than the article suggest. The National Guidance and Empowerment Network's stats have been showing this trend long before the official government rates.

Response 1

Abstinence and self control education has been and is working. The "comprehensive sex ed" programs, which focus mainly on condoms and education on condoms of surrounding countries like Zimbabwe and Botswana have not worked.

Here are so more articles to support my point.

http://www.physiciansforlife.org/content/view/143/27/

http://www.physiciansforlife.org/content/view/530/27/

Here is a list of studies on the subject:

http://www.physiciansforlife.org/content/category/6/149/27/

Anonymouse quote:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. What exactly qualifies you to criticize an informed opinion of an experienced medical professional, who's been dealing with the AIDS situation in his country for his entire working life ?

Response 2

What qualifies me to criticize this doctor's informed opinion is my own informed opinion(I have that right), and 100s of other doctor's opinions making the opposite claim with both experimental and anecdotal evidence to back them up.

Anonymouse quote:

Have we read the same article ? In the very paragraph you're quoting "inconsistent use of condoms" is listed as one of the factors. More like no condoms at all, since they are no longer as freely available in Uganda as they were in the 90s.

Most of the other factors simply drive the point home that abstinence is a fairy tale. You keep forgetting : Pepfar is already pushing abstinence-only prevention. They have already failed.

Response 3

I did read the same article. Inconsistent use of condoms was one of the problems, but so weren't multiple sex partners, and an increase in the sex for money industry. These two things are directly linked to the promotion of condoms and the idea of "safe sex." 

Let's take a look at another quote:

"Ms Agnes Kibwota, 25, also a commercial sex worker says she has been in the business for six years. "Mine is business as usual so long as Shs100,000 is in my pocket daily there is no problem, why should I suffer?" Kibwota says. She says she does not bother about using condoms because the buyer has to decide on the game."

This is not an isolated incident. Again the same problem is going on in other African countries as seen in the above articles. If they are choosing not to use condoms then better education in their use will not work. Better education about self control and the sanctity of sex will and do have better results. See the above articles and studies.

It's important to note that the increase in and the promotion of condoms and other contraceptives is directly linked to an increase in sexual immorality/promiscuity not only in Africa, but in the USA and the world over.

Anonymouse quote:

What it shows is that the numbers are back up, and abstinence-only prevention isn't helping. You can preach abstinence till you're blue in the face, it doesn't work, and these numbers prove it.

Response 4

see the articles and studies I have provided link to above.

Anonymouse quote:

Once again, abstinence-only prevention was already going on. That's what the Pepfar prevention program was all about. It was already happening. Nobody was encouraging illicit sex, quite the opposite. For pete's sake, deliberate infection gets you the death penalty. How is that encouraging ?

Response 5

Again telling people not to have illicit sex, and then handing them a condom (contraceptive) is sending two conflicting messages. "Don't have sex, but since you will anyway I'll provide you a condom."

Again I'll liken it to my previous alcoholic analogy. "Don't drink any more alcohol, but since you will just remember to take a cold shower and drink of cup of joe in the morning."

Threatening a person who is already slowly dying with death is not a big threat either. Especially if they are willing, even while using contraceptives, to spread the disease to others.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff. -The Doctor

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline

Cliff Jumper wrote:

This is a response to PJTS comments on the Eucharistic miracles.

In regards to the real flesh and blood being planted in Lanciano, Italy this seems highly unlikely, because the flesh and blood has not decayed over 1500 years. So this means that there is something special about this piece of flesh and blood or some people are cutting out part of the heart of a person with an AB blood type, and putting on displace at least twice a week. I think the former is more highly likely. I also doubt that the Lanciano, Italy  host is a fake, because when it was originally "formed", for lack of a better term, it was a time during the Church's infancy, and not when they were "supposedly" interested in making relics.

Again the event is substantiated sufficiently at its origin.

What I said about the wafers was not misleading. Both have been studied by independent labs, and the Lanciano, Italy case is very well substantiated. Again it was first reported when it happened in 750 AD, witnessed by people at the mass, people today, and substantiated through separate contemporary writings.    

Mummified flesh is available from Egypt so does that mean the Egyptians must have been gods because it hasn't completely deteriorated?

I don't know what you mean by "...and putting on displace at least twice a week." Do you mean they put it on display so it must be real?

The Church's infancy so to speak was in the 2nd and 3rd century not the 8th. There are many despicable actions of the Church from the time of Constantine through the Inquisition. Torture and force were advocated by St Ambrose and are a basis for both the Crusades and the Inquisition. Jerome and Augustine are no better. All believed that bishops had the right to use force to maintain theology and morals.

So, no, I don't buy that the 8th century Church was sweet and innocent as you claim and if you want me to get very specific as to the crimes of the blessed early church fathers I'll be glad to do so.

The forged Donation of Constantine dates to this time period likely by Stephen II or on his orders. Some date it to the 9th century.

Have you ever taken any courses on papal history?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper wrote:PJTS

Cliff Jumper wrote:

PJTS said:

The point being here is altar boys are capable of creating your miracle with a few drops of blood. I was an altar boy in a Lutheran church and more than once one of us pulled a stunt on the pastor that was a mean old guy. Such as, moving the marker in his Bible off a page or 2 so when he went to read he'd stumble. Tying his sash with a knot. And several other minor things.

The other consideration, since the church had lost so many members it was destined to be closed and even priests, church secretaries, maintenance men all had an interest in keeping their jobs should be considered as someone that created the supposed miracle wafer.

One should not jump to conclusions such as was done here that it was real.

And as to the sex scandals of the Church, it only indicates the dishonesty, and cruelty of those who were supposedly trustworthy as not.  Whether it was one or 100 doesn't matter, the point is it caused the reduction in the congregation and the need for something to buoy up attendance. And it matters little whether the scandals were real or not, public perception is what caused the loss of members.

Response:

Unfortunately altar boys are not capable of creating this miracle, because putting a few drops of blood on a Communion wafer will not replicate the Lanciano, Italy case or several other cases. As I said previously they would need to get a hold of an incorruptible piece of heart, that has an AB blood type, and AB blood that is incorruptible as well. That's a very tall order.

So what I'm supposed to think is that Jesus had AB blood type is that it? Since a relic of cloth from an unnamed source likely from the middle ages based on the 1988 radiocarbon tests had AB blood and this heart chunk has AB blood, everything must be true is that it?

Barnum was right.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

As for your pranks on your pastor, these come no where near close to the Eucharistic miracles that have been recorded.

No one has jumped to conclusions on the Lanciano, Italy case, and the Church has not jumped to any conclusions in the recent cases of claimed Eucharistic miracles.

If the Church had unassailble proof it would be on display in the middle of St. Peter's.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

"And it matters little whether the scandals were real or not, public perception is what caused the loss of members." I find this quite disturbing coming from a "rational" mind. It is very important to know the truth of the matter, not what the perception of it is. People perceive many things to be true, but it does not make it so.  

You so like to twist things don't you. Did I say I agreed with the public perception. No, I didn't say that. Did I say that no one should search for the truth? No, I didn't say that either.

Do you not understand how public perception works? If a large group believes something to be true and acts on that basis as in this case, the effect was the loss of members. This happens to individuals as well who are convicted in the eyes of the public and the media even when innocent facing a lifetime of stigma though innocent. That is so very wrong.

You need to ask questions instead of jumping to conclusions when you don't understand. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Anonymouse quote:

Lack of abstinence and self control education ? Since Pepfar that's all they've been getting as far as prevention was concerned, so there is no lack whatsoever. Obviously, and according to the authorities who have to deal with this situation, it's not working, and they're putting the C back in.

You also seem to be skipping a lot of steps. First came the aids awareness campaign. Then they switched to the abc-program. Then numbers started going down, and kept going down, thanks to organisations such as TASO , the Kibale Tree Planting Project, and people like Philly Lutaya who helped break the taboo.

Then came Pepfar and up went the numbers.
Actually, they've been up for longer than the article suggest. The National Guidance and Empowerment Network's stats have been showing this trend long before the official government rates.

Response 1

Abstinence and self control education has been and is working. The "comprehensive sex ed" programs, which focus mainly on condoms and education on condoms of surrounding countries like Zimbabwe and Botswana have not worked.

http://www.physiciansforlife.org/content/view/143/27/

http://www.physiciansforlife.org/content/view/530/27/

Here is a list of studies on the subject:

http://www.physiciansforlife.org/content/category/6/149/27/

Anonymouse quote:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. What exactly qualifies you to criticize an informed opinion of an experienced medical professional, who's been dealing with the AIDS situation in his country for his entire working life ?

Response 2

What qualifies me to criticize this doctor's informed opinion is my own informed opinion(I have that right), and 100s of other doctor's opinions making the opposite claim with both experimental and anecdotal evidence to back them up.

Anonymouse quote:

Have we read the same article ? In the very paragraph you're quoting "inconsistent use of condoms" is listed as one of the factors. More like no condoms at all, since they are no longer as freely available in Uganda as they were in the 90s.

Most of the other factors simply drive the point home that abstinence is a fairy tale. You keep forgetting : Pepfar is already pushing abstinence-only prevention. They have already failed.

Response 3

I did read the same article. Inconsistent use of condoms was one of the problems, but so weren't multiple sex partners, and an increase in the sex for money industry. These two things are directly linked to the promotion of condoms and the idea of "safe sex." 

"Ms Agnes Kibwota, 25, also a commercial sex worker says she has been in the business for six years. "Mine is business as usual so long as Shs100,000 is in my pocket daily there is no problem, why should I suffer?" Kibwota says. She says she does not bother about using condoms because the buyer has to decide on the game."

This is not an isolated incident. Again the same problem is going on in other African countries as seen in the above articles. If they are choosing not to use condoms then better education in their use will not work. Better education about self control and the sanctity of sex will and do have better results. See the above articles and studies.

It's important to note that the increase in and the promotion of condoms and other contraceptives is directly linked to an increase in sexual immorality/promiscuity not only in Africa, but in the USA and the world over.

Anonymouse quote:

What it shows is that the numbers are back up, and abstinence-only prevention isn't helping. You can preach abstinence till you're blue in the face, it doesn't work, and these numbers prove it.

Response 4

Anonymouse quote:

Once again, abstinence-only prevention was already going on. That's what the Pepfar prevention program was all about. It was already happening. Nobody was encouraging illicit sex, quite the opposite. For pete's sake, deliberate infection gets you the death penalty. How is that encouraging ?

Response 5

Again telling people not to have illicit sex, and then handing them a condom (contraceptive) is sending two conflicting messages. "Don't have sex, but since you will anyway I'll provide you a condom."

Again I'll liken it to my previous alcoholic analogy. "Don't drink any more alcohol, but since you will just remember to take a cold shower and drink of cup of joe in the morning."

Threatening a person who is already slowly dying with death is not a big threat either. Especially if they are willing, even while using contraceptives, to spread the disease to others.

Can you try to find studies where the researchers funding isn't quite so dependent on their finding the "correct" conclusion?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper

Cliff Jumper wrote:

These many articles all seem to come from the same source. I could give you just as many articles from the Royal Society claiming the exact opposite.

Also, not a single one of yours concerns what we are discussing, namely the current situation in Uganda, where there is no proof that abstinence played any role in the success their early campaigns were having.

But thanks to Pepfar insisting on increased funding for abstinence-only prevention, we now have sufficient reason to suspect that condoms at least were the only effective part of the abc-formula.

Even Pepfar itself seems to be slowly coming around to that conclusion.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Of course you have that right, but surely you realise that doesn't make a lick of sense. You have no medical qualifications, and no experience with the situation we are discussing. And these 100s of doctors of yours must be feeling pretty silly by now, as Dr Semugoma's quotes have already been shown to be quite correct.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

How many times do I have to repeat this : Condoms weren't being promoted anymore. Pepfar was actively discouraging the use of condoms. Didn't I just tell you that several times already ?

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Okay, I'm going to say this again, but please listen this time : Condoms were not being promoted. The exact opposite was happening. The numbers in that article are the result of Pepfar. If they want to turn this around, they're going to have to change their strategy.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

See my response.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Looks like I'll have to say it one more time : Condom use was not being encouraged. Pepfar was actively discouraging the use of condoms in favor of abstinence. What you want to happen was already going on, and those increased numbers are the direct result of that.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

If you think that's an analogy for prevention then I think I see the problem.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

The point was that illicit sex was not being promoted, and the numbers still went up. That at least I won't have to repeat anymore. I hope.

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm coming late to this

I'm coming late to this debate.  I'm an ex-Catholic but I haven't studied the literature nor the mandates of the Catholic Church as deeply as the others here.  My atheism stemmed from logical examination of the existence of a "creator" of any creed, and in the remarkable inconsistencies in the bible.  If your argument is that I don't understand the thing I hate then I'll simply counter with this:  I don't hate the church.  I nothing the Catholic Church.  It perpetuates the myth of an invisible sky daddy.  That's enough for me to ignore it.

But anyway.  I have a point to make.

Cliff Jumper wrote:
My argument in regards to the pill was not that. It was that the acceptance of contraception in Judaism and all other major Christian denominations, except Catholicism, is relatively recent. No Jew in the time of Christ accepted birth control and neither did Jesus. As for allowing the use of condoms in some cases because of it protecting existing life is completely against God's law. Murdering another for the sake of another is never permissible in God's law.

It has been said several times during the course of this discussion that Jews were forbidden from spilling seed on the ground, as stated in Genesis.  This is what you're regarding as the birth control of the time, that Jewish men weren't allowed to pull out just before climax and let their seed be spilled?

Were Jewish men allowed blow jobs?  I don't mean to be crude, nor to insult, mock, or belittle this discussion.  This is a serious question.  Seed wouldn't necessarily be 'spilled' at this point and it acts as a form of birth control.

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote:I'm coming

MichaelMcF wrote:

I'm coming late to this debate.  I'm an ex-Catholic but I haven't studied the literature nor the mandates of the Catholic Church as deeply as the others here.  My atheism stemmed from logical examination of the existence of a "creator" of any creed, and in the remarkable inconsistencies in the bible.  If your argument is that I don't understand the thing I hate then I'll simply counter with this:  I don't hate the church.  I nothing the Catholic Church.  It perpetuates the myth of an invisible sky daddy.  That's enough for me to ignore it.

But anyway.  I have a point to make.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

It has been said several times during the course of this discussion that Jews were forbidden from spilling seed on the ground, as stated in Genesis.  This is what you're regarding as the birth control of the time, that Jewish men weren't allowed to pull out just before climax and let their seed be spilled?

Were Jewish men allowed blow jobs?  I don't mean to be crude, nor to insult, mock, or belittle this discussion.  This is a serious question.  Seed wouldn't necessarily be 'spilled' at this point and it acts as a form of birth control.

Several things to consider in this question.

1- In Judaism sex was a women's right, see - http://www.jewfaq.org/sex.htm So if the sole purpose was to gratify the man I don't see how this would be acceptable. If somehow the woman also was gratified then probably. This is a gray area.

2- It appears that as long as seed isn't spilled even unnantural sex may be allowed see - http://koshersex.com/oralanalsex.html 

Sex with your pregnant wife is allowed as is sex when you are past child-bearing years which both would seem to be a form of spilling seed, somewhat a contradiction. 

In regard to chemical birth control by women, Cliffjumper ignores what Judaism allows to justify his interpretation and the Catholic Church's prohibition desiring to keep women in a 2nd class status. The Talmud prescribes a minimum of 2 children yet requires in the laws of onah regular sexual relations. This means that sex has a purpose beyond procreation in Judaism.

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks for the answer.

Thanks for the answer.  Now I know Smiling

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
Believing in the teachings

Believing in the teachings of the Bible and the Catholic Church will help one properly comprehend justice, love, choice, and responsibility. Can you give me an example where you see this as being contradictory? 

I've read the some texts on the development of morality. None of them were all that great at explaining its development.

I said there was a non-decaying piece of flesh in Lanciano, Italy, because there is a piece of non-decaying flesh there. The Church has had many many many studies done on that piece of flesh and blood and the results are the same.

The Church as the font of rationality can be explained through its teachings on moral justice, love, choice, responsibility, and many other things.  Again please provide me with one that is not in your opinion.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper wrote:The

Cliff Jumper wrote:

The Church as the font of rationality can be explained through its teachings on moral justice, love, choice, responsibility, and many other things.  Again please provide me with one that is not in your opinion.

Like how pedophilia is the result of demonic influences?  How very...rational.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper wrote:Believing

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Believing in the teachings of the Bible and the Catholic Church will help one properly comprehend justice, love, choice, and responsibility. Can you give me an example where you see this as being contradictory? 

I've read the some texts on the development of morality. None of them were all that great at explaining its development.

I said there was a non-decaying piece of flesh in Lanciano, Italy, because there is a piece of non-decaying flesh there. The Church has had many many many studies done on that piece of flesh and blood and the results are the same.

1. Then you have neither read your Bible or Church history. Purgatory/indulgences - not just. Killing people by lying about condoms - not loving. Confession/forgiveness - abdicating responsibility.

2. The Church has had many studies done on that piece of flesh and the results are the same? Hmm. maybe we should get someone not beholden to the church to do a study? You think the church would pay for a contradictory result?

Non-decaying flesh could be:

A. frequently replaced fresh meat

or

B. a piece of divine carcass (if Jesus was really living don't you think he'd miss that piece? Or does he replace it as Lanciano needs it?)

3. see 1. I gave you three examples.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Cliff Jumper

mellestad wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

As for Transubstantiation part of my defense would be faith, but it has been shown several times that the Communion wafer and wine have transformed into real flesh and blood. There are several books on these cases. Some of these miracles occurred over 1000 years ago and some occurred less then a decade ago. A good place to start is to read the 1995 Methuen, Mass case in which a plain wafer was transformed into flesh and blood, or the Lanciano, Italy case from 780AD. Both of these wafers have been studied by independent labs. Here's a good video on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6SH93arrIE

Here is a good website that lists some of the major Eucharistic miracles:

http://www.circleofprayer.com/eucharistic-miracles.html

Not all of them are officially recognized by the Church yet, because further research is needed. Again I will answer more tomorrow.

The supposed event from 780 Italy is the fabric of Urban Legends. It is not possible to determine what actually occurred at all as it is an uncontrolled situation. A priest could have easily concocted the event to bring in greater contributions or to bring his church greater recognition.

As to Methuen MA, this church was closed due to the sex scandals of priests. There again was never an investigation substantiating the event. See - http://www.visionsofjesuschrist.com/weeping250.htm

Urban Legends tend to propagate supposed real events and neither of these 2 you have claimed here have ever been shown to be more than that.

The Methuen case was never investigated by the Diocese nor by investigators from Rome according to the records. Despite no investigation claims are found all over the Internet that this actually occurred and was proven to be true, even on Catholic Church Web Sites in the US. This is exactly how an Urban Legend is spread. Someone knows someone that knew someone that heard that something occurred.

If this stuff really happened, I don't think it would be hard to prove empirically anyway.  You would think evidence would abound.

What the youtube videos show from the OP is what the witnesses thought they saw. The lab confirmed only it was human blood supposedly.

However, altar boys are capable of much more than bending over for priests. Priests in a Diocese that was being investigated for sex scandals who knew the church was losing members are also capable of creativity. After all, they covered up the scandals didn't they, so why not create a miracle so to speak.

And of course why didn't the Vatican investigate??

Could we lose the lewd jokes, please?. Yes, we get it a super small portion of priests, compared the entire number of priests, in an extraordinarily liberal area of the country did something wrong. While I'm not excusing their actions by any means, it surprises me that other professions with sex scandals more massive then this get little to no attention. Also since many of the supposed cases never went to trial it remains to seen whether the cases had merit or not? Again not condoning what happened by any means, just saying it was a small number, blown way out of proportion by the media. This is a topic for another thread not this one. So please do not bring it up again. I'll be glad to decate this issue in another thread though.

Most professions don't claim to represent a deity.  If priests aren't any better than anyone else, who needs priests?

The Catholic Church has never stated that priests are better than anyone else. As for the need for priests, they are needed to in order to distribute the Sacraments, and guide the faithful to Christ. 

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Cliff Jumper

jcgadfly wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

1. Then you have neither read your Bible or Church history. Purgatory/indulgences - not just. Killing people by lying about condoms - not loving. Confession/forgiveness - abdicating responsibility.

2. The Church has had many studies done on that piece of flesh and the results are the same? Hmm. maybe we should get someone not beholden to the church to do a study? You think the church would pay for a contradictory result?

or

B. a piece of divine carcass (if Jesus was really living don't you think he'd miss that piece? Or does he replace it as Lanciano needs it?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_Lanciano <-- Has nice picture.

So there are some obviously dried pieces of something in two sealed containers.  The only modern test was done by the Vatican, and they determined that it was indeed human heart tissue.  That's it.

I'm confused as to where the miracle is though...flesh lasting that long in a sealed container isn't unusual, and I don't see anything about the flesh as unusual.  Well, besides the fact that someone apparently took the time to carve up some poor bastard's corpse to get some heart tissue.  Well, I can only hope the original monk didn't kill someone to get the heart.

The story even seems to indicate there was only one witness to the original event???  That can't be right.

I really, really, really don't get this kind of miracle claim.  Have Catholics never seen David Blaine, or heck, any modern stage magician?  If they can fool people without real magic, why is stuff like this considered miraculous?

"And Lo, Jesus Christ did make a tiger dissapear, and then Jesus did dissapear, and in the place of Jesus, a chorus girl then stood.  Applaud, and be saved!"

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper wrote:mellestad

Cliff Jumper wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

As for Transubstantiation part of my defense would be faith, but it has been shown several times that the Communion wafer and wine have transformed into real flesh and blood. There are several books on these cases. Some of these miracles occurred over 1000 years ago and some occurred less then a decade ago. A good place to start is to read the 1995 Methuen, Mass case in which a plain wafer was transformed into flesh and blood, or the Lanciano, Italy case from 780AD. Both of these wafers have been studied by independent labs. Here's a good video on it:

Not all of them are officially recognized by the Church yet, because further research is needed. Again I will answer more tomorrow.

The supposed event from 780 Italy is the fabric of Urban Legends. It is not possible to determine what actually occurred at all as it is an uncontrolled situation. A priest could have easily concocted the event to bring in greater contributions or to bring his church greater recognition.

As to Methuen MA, this church was closed due to the sex scandals of priests. There again was never an investigation substantiating the event. See - http://www.visionsofjesuschrist.com/weeping250.htm

Urban Legends tend to propagate supposed real events and neither of these 2 you have claimed here have ever been shown to be more than that.

The Methuen case was never investigated by the Diocese nor by investigators from Rome according to the records. Despite no investigation claims are found all over the Internet that this actually occurred and was proven to be true, even on Catholic Church Web Sites in the US. This is exactly how an Urban Legend is spread. Someone knows someone that knew someone that heard that something occurred.

If this stuff really happened, I don't think it would be hard to prove empirically anyway.  You would think evidence would abound.

What the youtube videos show from the OP is what the witnesses thought they saw. The lab confirmed only it was human blood supposedly.

However, altar boys are capable of much more than bending over for priests. Priests in a Diocese that was being investigated for sex scandals who knew the church was losing members are also capable of creativity. After all, they covered up the scandals didn't they, so why not create a miracle so to speak.

Could we lose the lewd jokes, please?. Yes, we get it a super small portion of priests, compared the entire number of priests, in an extraordinarily liberal area of the country did something wrong. While I'm not excusing their actions by any means, it surprises me that other professions with sex scandals more massive then this get little to no attention. Also since many of the supposed cases never went to trial it remains to seen whether the cases had merit or not? Again not condoning what happened by any means, just saying it was a small number, blown way out of proportion by the media. This is a topic for another thread not this one. So please do not bring it up again. I'll be glad to decate this issue in another thread though.

Most professions don't claim to represent a deity.  If priests aren't any better than anyone else, who needs priests?

The Catholic Church has never stated that priests are better than anyone else. As for the need for priests, they are needed to in order to distribute the Sacraments, and guide the faithful to Christ. 

If they're faithful, they have Christ as their guide. Who needs a priest?

Seems like they're only needed to collect money and be friendly to the altar boys.

— George Carlin

mellestad
User is offlineOffline

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Why can't the faithful figure it out for themselves?  Is God obtuse?

Edit:  God damn you Gadfly...damn you to hell!

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper wrote: The

Cliff Jumper wrote:

And so what is meant by Luke 17:21 - "Neither shall they say: Behold here, or behold there. For lo, the kingdom of God is within you." Douay-Rheims.

And in John 4:21-24 - "Jesus saith to her: Woman, believe me, that the hour cometh, when you shall neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, adore the Father. [22] You adore that which you know not: we adore that which we know; for salvation is of the Jews. [23] But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true adorers shall adore the Father in spirit and in truth. For the Father also seeketh such to adore him. [24] God is a spirit; and they that adore him, must adore him in spirit and in truth. Douay-Rheims.

And in Thomas - Saying # 3 - "Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you."

How should this be interpretated?

If the Kingdom of God is within you, what need does a priest serve?

If Jesus told the Samaritan woman she could worship basically anywhere what is the point of a priest?

In your opinion, where did Jesus create the sacraments?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:jcgadfly

mellestad wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

or

So there are some obviously dried pieces of something in two sealed containers.  The only modern test was done by the Vatican, and they determined that it was indeed human heart tissue.  That's it.

I'm confused as to where the miracle is though...flesh lasting that long in a sealed container isn't unusual, and I don't see anything about the flesh as unusual.  Well, besides the fact that someone apparently took the time to carve up some poor bastard's corpse to get some heart tissue.  Well, I can only hope the original monk didn't kill someone to get the heart.

The story even seems to indicate there was only one witness to the original event???  That can't be right.

I really, really, really don't get this kind of miracle claim.  Have Catholics never seen David Blaine, or heck, any modern stage magician?  If they can fool people without real magic, why is stuff like this considered miraculous?

"And Lo, Jesus Christ did make a tiger dissapear, and then Jesus did dissapear, and in the place of Jesus, a chorus girl then stood.  Applaud, and be saved!"

All this fuss is for divine desiccated meat? Passover Pemmican? Jesus Jerky?

I'm underwhelmed.

— George Carlin

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Brand new article, thought

Brand new article, thought it might be pertinent Smiling

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11347172

Summary:  Condom usage among young in Sub Saraha Africa doubles, new cases of HIV drop 25%.

I don't think there is anything else to say, is there?

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mellestad said:"I meant in a

Mellestad said:

"I meant in a broad sense.  Yes, specific beliefs are different, but both believe in woo-woo magic from God.  For you there is a vast difference because the details matter.  To me the details don't matter, because non of it is real to me.  Does that make sense?  To me yuor magic beliefs aren't any better than a Wiccan's beliefs, or an evangelicals."

Response 1

In a broad sense Catholicism is majorly different from all other Protestant faiths. Examples are Protestants' belief in sola scriptura (scripture alone) and sola fida (faith alone). Catholics do not believe that, yet those two ideas are the fundamentals of the protestant faiths.

Unlike Wiccan beliefs Catholicism is based in rational thought. Look at the writings from the Church doctors, Catherine of Sienna for example. Her writings are very rational, and make a lot of sense. I've spent a good part of this thread giving good examples for the Church's teachings on contraception. All of the teachings of the Catholic church are rational and reasonable. By reasonable I mean that the teachings are logical and follow reason.

I'm guessing that by woo-woo magic you mean the mysteries of the faith? Such as Transubstantiation, the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and/or Mary's perpetual virginity? Again these beliefs are logical. You could relate these mysteries to the three major assumptions that science must make to be useful. These are:

1. The universe is ordered

2. The universe is understandable through the scientific method

3. We will not know all there is to know about the universe

Mellestad said:

"I am very familiar with it, but this is the same problem as above.  To you, the details and rationalizations matter, to me, they don't.  Your religion *is* about immortality, and you use ritual in the service of that goal.  It isn't my fault that bluntness is not flattering."

Response 2:

Eating supernatural flesh from a human (born of a god non the less!) sacrifice to grant yourself immortality....really?

This is not the definition of the Eucharist, not even close. If you say you understand the Eucharist, than what is it? It is not supernatural human flesh. The Eucharist sustains the life of the soul, it does not grant immortality. Catholicism is not about immorality it deals with immorality.

Mellestad said:

"Same as above.  Prayer and miracles?  Angels, saints, demons, the Devil...and my shorthand is not accurate?  I don't see how."

Response 3:

"If you use your mind correctly, with enough belief, you can supernaturally influence reality in ways both subtle and profound...really?"

You as a human cannot supernaturally influence reality, God can. This is why I stated that the statement displayed your ignorance on the subject.

Miracles are not a form of woo woo magic. Magic is done on a whim where as miracles are performed for a reason, for example spiritual growth, and God has given us the ability to discern that it is a miracle by allowing us to judge the fruits of the miracle. Angles, saints, demons, and the Devil are not controlling forces over your life. They play a secondary role in our lives.

Mellestad said:

I did not bring up those things, I'm not sure what I said to prompt that.  I'm not of the opinion that religion makes people monsters, I think religion is just another viral meme that can be good or bad...but it isn't rational and it is very infectious.  I think the main danger of religion is the idea of faith, magical forgiveness and the concept that this world is not the 'real' reality we should be focused on (afterlife).

Christianity is not the basis of rational thought, that is simply incorrect.  The history of western philosophy started in ancient Greece, long before Christ.  Who told you Christians were responsible for rationality?

Besides, in general, how is Christianity more rational than other religions?

Response 4:

I misspoke before. Christianity does not form the basis for rational thought, but allowed for the flourishing of rational thought throughout the world.

I apologize for jumping to the conclusion about the Inquisition and Crusades. In my previous conversations this is the first thing people bring up against this argument.

Christianity is more rational than other religions because it's teachings are inextricably linked to natural law.

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline

jcgadfly wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

In regards to the real flesh and blood being planted in Lanciano, Italy this seems highly unlikely, because the flesh and blood has not decayed over 1500 years. So this means that there is something special about this piece of flesh and blood or some people are cutting out part of the heart of a person with an AB blood type, and putting on displace at least twice a week. I think the former is more highly likely. I also doubt that the Lanciano, Italy  host is a fake, because when it was originally "formed", for lack of a better term, it was a time during the Church's infancy, and not when they were "supposedly" interested in making relics.

What I said about the wafers was not misleading. Both have been studied by independent labs, and the Lanciano, Italy case is very well substantiated. Again it was first reported when it happened in 750 AD, witnessed by people at the mass, people today, and substantiated through separate contemporary writings.    

Or there have been a LOT of replacements. I could see a 1500 year conspiracy in the name of God. Celibates buggering altar boys has been around for how long?

It could also be meat that people are claiming is heart - has anyone unrelated to the Church shown it to be cardiac muscle?

In short yes the host has been studied by numerous labs independent of the Catholic Church, and all the findings show that it is human heat tissue and blood, type AB. See the above links and check out some books about the Lanciaano, Italy case.

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

Cliff Jumper wrote:

This is a response to PJTS comments on Judaism:

It is not required in Jewish law or God's law to get married; however, if two people are married and fertile, than they are to be fruitful and multiple.

As for the "Jesus stealing corn" I believe you are referring to Mark chapter 2 verses 23-28. In this case He and His disciples were munching on grain seeds, which is akin to picking a couple of blackberries on a bush on the side of a country road. This is not stealing. This is and was completely acceptable in God's law and Jewish law. What Jesus and His disciples did is known as the gleaning laws. Gleaning was a way to feed the poor, which was required by God's law. This was laid out in Leviticus chapter 23 verse 22. Harvesters were not to harvest the edge of their crops and suppose to leave what fell on the ground after the harvest for the poor. This is what Jesus and His disciples were doing. In fact in that Gospel reading you mentioned it states that Jesus and His disciples were walking beside the field. This particular part of the Gospel dealt with the pharisees trying to trap Jesus into admitting to work on the sabbath. This was not the case however as gleaning was permitted.

Another example of how Mosiac law differed from God's law is that of divorce. God under no circumstances allowed divorce; however, Moses allowed divorce under the Hebrew law. This is laid out well in Mathew Chapter 19 verses 1-12.

Give me a few more days and I'll provide some more.

I'm well aware of the gleening laws in the OT, as in Levitcus and shown in Ruth. The stealing was a smart alec comment, no more. What Jesus was accused of was working on the Sabbath and he was justified as was David to sustain life per the Law. Jesus and his rebels likely could have been pursued at this point by Herod and were in need of food thus allowing it.

OT laws in regard to divorce were blessed by the god. If you can find in the OT where god says Moses Law conflicts to his law please document.

The NT  quote you cite is NT and only indicates what Jesus Believers thought, find it in the OT where the god disagrees with Deuteronomy 24. 

Remember, Yahweh is very fickle and given to changing his mind as well shown in the OT. Citing Genesis is before Yahweh altered his directions and promises. Find it somewhere in the OT after Moses.

What is it you think, Moses pulled this law out of the air? 

If so, you are not far from finding the truth.

If Moses made this particular law up or pulled it out of the air, maybe he pulled all of them out of thin air.

Excuse me, I intended to say God tolerated divorce, because it was a pre-existing custom. God attempted to ween the the Jews off of divorce, as seen in Deuteronomy 24. These marriage laws were given to the Jews so that the custom of divorce, a sin, would be lessened and eliminated, but because divorce was not eliminated by the time of Jesus in Matthew chapter 19 Jesus fulfilled the explanation of the spirit of the law. The NT testament quote is directly from Jesus (God); therefore, God disagrees with the actions of the Jews in regards to divorce.

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Mummified flesh is available from Egypt so does that mean the Egyptians must have been gods because it hasn't completely deteriorated?

I don't know what you mean by "...and putting on displace at least twice a week." Do you mean they put it on display so it must be real?

The Church's infancy so to speak was in the 2nd and 3rd century not the 8th. There are many despicable actions of the Church from the time of Constantine through the Inquisition. Torture and force were advocated by St Ambrose and are a basis for both the Crusades and the Inquisition. Jerome and Augustine are no better. All believed that bishops had the right to use force to maintain theology and morals.

So, no, I don't buy that the 8th century Church was sweet and innocent as you claim and if you want me to get very specific as to the crimes of the blessed early church fathers I'll be glad to do so.

The forged Donation of Constantine dates to this time period likely by Stephen II or on his orders. Some date it to the 9th century.

Have you ever taken any courses on papal history?

Yes, mummified flesh is in Eygpt, but the host in Lanciano, Italy is not mummified. It is fresh flesh. It does not match the chemical make-up of mummified flesh.

What I meant was that part of a person's heart, who has AB blood type, was cut out at least on a weekly basis and put on display.

There may be some despicable actions by individuals in the name of the Church in the 8th century, but not done by the Church. The Inquisition was started by the Church, but was not a despicable act, that was mostly due to the Spanish government. The crusades again were started by the Church but not a despicable act. Some independent soldiers did some bad things, but the Church never condoned these acts.

Bishops having the right to use force to maintain theology and morals. I believe you are referring to the writings dealing when bishops and the Church are threatened with violence. In this case I agree with the early fathers. I'll have to go back and read the types of force allowed when not under threat of violence.

Yes I took 3 years of papal history. Probably and extra year counting 8th grade. Aside from my current research and readings.

How does a forged donation of Constantine compare to a scientifically verifiable incorruptible piece of flesh?  

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
PJTS said:So what I'm

PJTS said:

So what I'm supposed to think is that Jesus had AB blood type is that it? Since a relic of cloth from an unnamed source likely from the middle ages based on the 1988 radiocarbon tests had AB blood and this heart chunk has AB blood, everything must be true is that it?

Barnum was right.

Response 1:

I don't know what you're suppose to think. I'm trying to show that there is consistency with each of the Eucharisitc miracles. If all the official Eucharisitc miracles are fake then the hoaxers got really really really lucky that all the blood types were AB and all were incorruptible. Also they were lucky that it matched the Shroud of Turin blood type.

As for the shroud being made in the middle ages that is very unlikely. The cited radio-carbon dates from the 1988 tests are fraudulent. The piece of the Shroud that was tested has been proven to be a re-woven section from the Middle Ages. This was clearly visible from the UV photos taken in 77 by the STRP. This seems to point to a conscious effort at scientific fraud.

PJTS:

If the Church had unassailble proof it would be on display in the middle of St. Peter's.

Response 2:

Why would this proof have to be visible at St. Peter's square?

PJTS said:

I didn't twist anything. I quoted the statement and said it was disturbing. Which it was. I'm sorry if it came off that way. I had no intention of doing that.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper wrote:jcgadfly

Cliff Jumper wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Or there have been a LOT of replacements. I could see a 1500 year conspiracy in the name of God. Celibates buggering altar boys has been around for how long?

It could also be meat that people are claiming is heart - has anyone unrelated to the Church shown it to be cardiac muscle?

In short yes the host has been studied by numerous labs independent of the Catholic Church, and all the findings show that it is human heat tissue and blood, type AB. See the above links and check out some books about the Lanciaano, Italy case.

The pictures postd earlier in this thread doesn't look like fresh meat to me.

— George Carlin

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline

mellestad wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

The church has never said this. It has always been due to peoples' choice to sin.

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline

jcgadfly wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

or

Why are purgatory and indulgences not just? In other words why do you say that? No Catholics are killing anyone by lying about condoms, Planned Parenthood, and other family planning organizations are accomplices in killing people by lying about condoms. Confession and forgiveness in no way promotes abdication of responsibility. It's quite the opposite actually. In Confession and forgiveness the person  must realize their actions are wrong and accept the consequences of their actions. Then perform an act of penance. Try reading about Confession and forgiveness in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Please.

There were studies done on the host in Lanciano that were independent of the Church. Actually yes the Church would accept and pay for a study that could contradict the results. The Church is an extremely skeptical organization, when dealing with miraculous claims; hence, it takes so long for the Church to conclude it is a true miracle.

The host in Lanciano, Italy is not a piece of frequently replaced fresh meat. It is a true piece of human heart muscle with AB blood type. No, Jesus would not miss it nor would he have to replace it regularly. 

Your three examples are based on poor information. Please read about Purgatory and indulgences. Look at my previously posted articles about condoms and read the history of Planned Parenthood.  Read about the sacrament of  Confession in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Again your claims are based on bad information. It seems that you have little knowledge about the Church. 

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:jcgadfly

mellestad wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

or

Wikipedia, not a good source for information on these matters try:

http://www.catholicfreeshipping.com/Products/cfs_gensym-191.html

More than one test has been done on the Host in Lanciano, Italy.

The flesh in Lanciano, Italy has been around since 780AD. So there were no methods of preserving the flesh as there are today. It was never kept in any kind of sealed container either. It was only recently that this was done. Again carving someone's heart out, unless the piece of heart is incorruptible, will not replicate the Lanciano, Italy case.

You are right there was more then one witness to the event. In fact a whole mass full of people saw and contempories of the time saw and recorded it.

An incorruptible piece of heart tissue, with AB blood type, is not a magic trick it is a miracle. Miracles and magic tricks are quite different as I explained a little earlier. Please check out the Church's definition of a miracle.

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline

jcgadfly wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

If they're faithful, they have Christ as their guide. Who needs a priest?

Seems like they're only needed to collect money and be friendly to the altar boys.

Again they are needed for the distribution of the Sacraments, among other things. Check out the Catechism. Please?(Again no sarcasm here)

Again can we please lose the lewd comments.

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline

mellestad wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Why can't the faithful figure it out for themselves?  Is God obtuse?

Edit:  God damn you Gadfly...damn you to hell!

Again they are needed to distribute the Sacraments among other things. Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church for more answers on the matter.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Cliff Jumper wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

The church has never said this. It has always been due to peoples' choice to sin.

Your Pope contradicts you.

He (Benedict XVI) said pedophiles must be "excluded from any possibility of access to young people, because we know this is an illness where free will does not work. We must protect these people against themselves."

Now THAT'S a lewd comment. Absolving people doesn't solve the problem.

— George Carlin

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

Cliff Jumper wrote:

And so what is meant by Luke 17:21 - "Neither shall they say: Behold here, or behold there. For lo, the kingdom of God is within you." Douay-Rheims.

And in John 4:21-24 - "Jesus saith to her: Woman, believe me, that the hour cometh, when you shall neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, adore the Father. [22] You adore that which you know not: we adore that which we know; for salvation is of the Jews. [23] But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true adorers shall adore the Father in spirit and in truth. For the Father also seeketh such to adore him. [24] God is a spirit; and they that adore him, must adore him in spirit and in truth. Douay-Rheims.

And in Thomas - Saying # 3 - "Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you."

If Jesus told the Samaritan woman she could worship basically anywhere what is the point of a priest?

The meaning of Luke 17:21 has nothing to do with the priesthood. This part of Luke deals with how physically visible the Kingdom of God will be.

John 4:21-24- This deals with how the Holy Spirit will guide His Church. It doesn't have anything to do with worshiping wherever.

As for the "Gospel of Thomas" it's a Gnostic gospel; therefore, it is not a Christian, or Catholic book, and plays no role in determining the need and importance of priests. 

Jesus created the sacraments though out the Old and New Testaments. The Eucharist at the Last Supper, priests in the old and new testament. Ordination of priests at the Last Supper too. Confession in the Gospels, Acts of the Apostles, and the Torah. Marriage in Genesis. They may not be listed by name, such as the Eucharist, but the spirit, description, and command to do so is there.

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Brand new

mellestad wrote:

Summary:  Condom usage among young in Sub Saraha Africa doubles, new cases of HIV drop 25%.

From that same article:

The agency said young people "are leading the prevention revolution by choosing to have sex later, having fewer multiple partners and using condoms

Abstaining, and self control are listed as the two major preventative measures. I'd like to see what the percentages of use for each of the preventative measures. 

If contraceptive use is suppose to lower AIDS/STD rates than why is Europe seeing such an increase in STDs? Their "sex ed programs" have promoted condoms for years, yet it seems that better education in their use isn't working.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Cliff Jumper wrote:

mellestad wrote:

From that same article:

The agency said young people "are leading the prevention revolution by choosing to have sex later, having fewer multiple partners and using condoms

Abstaining, and self control are listed as the two major preventative measures. I'd like to see what the percentages of use for each of the preventative measures. 

If contraceptive use is suppose to lower AIDS/STD rates than why is Europe seeing such an increase in STDs? Their "sex ed programs" have promoted condoms for years, yet it seems that better education in their use isn't working.

So how is "don't use condoms - just time your sex better (aka the rhythm method)" more effective?

— George Carlin

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a general response

This is a general response to jcgadfly and Anonymouse

Aside from the studies and articles I've cited, granted some are from the same place, and conducted by people against contraception(though that does not make them any less true or useful) here is an article from Professor Edward Green.

http://www.tempi.it/007320-liberal-academic-edward-green-pope-right-about-aids-and-condom

There are more like this I'll post them later.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

The meaning of Luke 17:21 has nothing to do with the priesthood. This part of Luke deals with how physically visible the Kingdom of God will be.

I knew you'd say that.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

John 4:21-24- This deals with how the Holy Spirit will guide His Church. It doesn't have anything to do with worshiping wherever.

I also knew you'd say this.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

As for the "Gospel of Thomas" it's a Gnostic gospel; therefore, it is not a Christian, or Catholic book, and plays no role in determining the need and importance of priests.

And of course you can't consider anything outside of Catholicism can you?

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Jesus created the sacraments though out the Old and New Testaments. The Eucharist at the Last Supper, priests in the old and new testament. Ordination of priests at the Last Supper too. Confession in the Gospels, Acts of the Apostles, and the Torah. Marriage in Genesis. They may not be listed by name, such as the Eucharist, but the spirit, description, and command to do so is there.

I typed Jesus in a search box searching an online Bible for the Old Testament and Hebrew Scriptures and it finds nothing at all.

Please cite chapter and verse for each of your claims.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Aside from the studies and articles I've cited, granted some are from the same place, and conducted by people against contraception(though that does not make them any less true or useful) here is an article from Professor Edward Green.

http://www.tempi.it/007320-liberal-academic-edward-green-pope-right-about-aids-and-condom

There are more like this I'll post them later.

Wasn't the Uganda study brought up earlier? It emphasized abstinence and fidelity and eliminated condom distribution and failed miserably, didn't it?

How does Benny's repudiation of a solution as "sinful" and replacing it with wishful thinking solve the problem again?

— George Carlin

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline

jcgadfly wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

He (Benedict XVI) said pedophiles must be "excluded from any possibility of access to young people, because we know this is an illness where free will does not work. We must protect these people against themselves."

This is not contradictory. You are misunderstanding what Pope Benedict XVI is saying. He is saying that pedophiles have an illness, which compromises their ability to fully and completely exercise their free will. Such as a drug addict. He or she may not truly be able to stop because he/she is addicted physically/psychologically to a drug; however, this does not mean one cannot stop with help and treatment. This is the case with pedophiles as well.

He is not absolving the problem either. In fact he is saying that pedophiles should be kept away from children and punished, but also treated if possible.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper wrote:jcgadfly

Cliff Jumper wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

mellestad wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

This is not contradictory. You are misunderstanding what Pope Benedict XVI is saying. He is saying that pedophiles have an illness, which compromises their ability to fully and completely exercise their free will. Such as a drug addict. He or she may not truly be able to stop because he/she is addicted physically/psychologically to a drug; however, this does not mean one cannot stop with help and treatment. This is the case with pedophiles as well.

He is not absolving the problem either. In fact he is saying that pedophiles should be kept away from children and punished, but also treated if possible.

You - it's "peoples' choice to sin"

Ben - "free will does not work"

Need I make it more plain?

They even felt they had to point out a connection between homosexuality and pedophilia and downplay the celibacy/pedophilia connection. Thank you for announcing to the world that all of your child diddling priests are not celibate and gay. You may as well start ordaining priests who are actively gay from the beginning. It would be a refreshing bout of honesty (and the kids would be safer also). 

— George Carlin

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Excuse me, but no, it isn't.

I'll have to repeat it yet again, won't I ?

Pepfar didn't just concentrate their prevention campaign on abstinence and marital fidelity, they were actively discrediting the use of condoms. The result is in the numbers I've already shown you.

The C was taken out of the abc-method, and the numbers went up.

What's the problem here ? Are we waiting for a catholic organisation to put a spin on those numbers and publish an article about it ?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Posters like Cliff Jumper

Posters like Cliff Jumper make me take sabbaticals from posting.  I just get so frustrated when obviously intelligent people are unwilling to examine their own beliefs with honesty.

If I ever get stuck like this I hope someone intellectually slaps the shit out of me, or does whatever it takes to make me start being rational again.  This goes back to threads like Blake's "Can people be taught to be rational?".  I'd feel a lot better if there was some path or method that could show people how to think rationally and then apply that process in a reliable manner.

And it makes it worse when I'd probably get along great with someone like Cliff Jumper in person, as long as we kept religion out of it.  Things are always fine until you run into the parts of a person's life that are ruled by faith rather than reason, then everything gets scary.

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly:So how is "don't

jcgadfly:

So how is "don't use condoms - just time your sex better (aka the rhythm method)" more effective?

Response:

Hey. Sorry for not posting. I recently moved, and I've been busy with two research papers.

It's not just about timing your sex better, it's about self-control. Abstaining from sex or just general abstinence of any kind helps a person gain self-control or strengthen their self-control. This allows teens, or whoever, to control their urges.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper

Cliff Jumper wrote:

jcgadfly:

Response:

Hey. Sorry for not posting. I recently moved, and I've been busy with two research papers.

It's not just about timing your sex better, it's about self-control. Abstaining from sex or just general abstinence of any kind helps a person gain self-control or strengthen their self-control. This allows teens, or whoever, to control their urges.

So, you believe that "just say no because god says so" really works by itself? Despite the evidence to the contrary that you've posted?

That seems to lead to a perversion of the sex drive a la the "celibate" clergy

— George Carlin

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

I knew you'd say that.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

I typed Jesus in a search box searching an online Bible for the Old Testament and Hebrew Scriptures and it finds nothing at all.

May I ask why you wanted to know what the first two verses meant?

I consider and read plenty of things outside the church. As for the gnostic gospel, the reason I don't consider it important here is because it is not Catholic or Christian. Gnosticism is a completely separate religion. It borrows from Christianity, but it is a Greek Mystic religion. So, if I wanted to understand why the Catholic Church had priests I would read Catholic and Christian material on the subject, not about Greek mystic religions.

As for the sacraments and the Old Testament you wouldn't find Jesus telling people about the sacraments it would be God, the Father. Since the Catholic church teaches that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are the same I use Jesus and God interchangeably. Chapter and verse for the following sacraments:

Confession/Penance: Leviticus Chapters 4-5

Matthew 16:19, 2 Corinthians 5:18

Eucharist: again at the Last Supper

John 6:53-59

Priests: Last Supper when Jesus said, "Do this in memory of me."

Priests were established many places in the Old Testament. Also in Matthew 28:16-20.

Marriage:

Genesis 2:24-25

Matthew Chapter 19

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cliff Jumper

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

I hope and pray you won't go to hell, but I can't tell you that.

sentence is really the nub of the thing. Catholic, presbyterian, muslim - they are all the same. The beating heart of these faiths is "believe my unprovable dogma or die".

Oh - and it's not their fault. They want us to live forever, it's just that their lord's 'perfect justice' will have its way.

Catholic, Presbyterian, and Muslim religions are not all the same, they have some similarities but they are not the same. While some of the dogmas of the Catholic church are unprovable and therefore a matter of faith, many dogmas are not. Also no matter what you believe you will die. These faiths teach which after-life you will go to.

I can't speak for Islam, but Christianity does teach it is each person's fault. They are responsible for their actions, therefore, they choose their fate or ultimate destination. There is a lot more to the topic of justice, good, and evil that would require a lot more discussion. It's my experience that people who make this point have an inaccurate view of justice, love, choice, and responsibility. This may not be the case with you however.

Since when are there actually 'provable' dogmas?? The word dogma itself is used precisely to refer to "a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true".

Describing views of "justice, love, choice, and responsibility" as being 'accurate' or 'inaccurate' shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature and origin of those concepts. I guess you have the idea that they are ultimately objective, but the idea that such things are based on absolute standards is itself just as subjective as the various versions of those ideas themselves.

You could validly say that some concepts of justics, etc, are more conducive to a healthy society than others, or apply other criteria for assessing how workable or well tuned to the needs and desires of human society. 

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Contraception sometimes

Contraception sometimes fails. Intercourse doesn't always lead to conception or a viable baby/

When practiced carefully, it works more often than not. That is the point.

'Contraception fails', unqualified, is not a intelligible statement in this context - it certainly does not fail, either universally in intercourse, or as a way to significantly reduce population growth, and reduce STD transmission, especially AIDS .

There is no personal or societal harm arising from any act of contraception itself, or even from the act of extra-marital sex in many cases.

If either party is in a relationship where the partner would be deeply emotionally affected if they knew of the particular act, that is a reason to regard that particular act ethically wrong. That situation is far from being a universal. It any case, it is not the physical act that is wrong, it is the deception, doing something that one knows would deeply upset a person one has made a commitment to. Any act, not necessarily sexual, that involved such deception, concealing from a partner any act that would deeply upset them. 

Otherwise there is not an ethical issue, so to campaign against the use of condoms, which do reduce unwanted pregnancies and reduce the spread of AIDS, both clear social harms, based on some pre-conceived condemnation of extra-marital sex per se, is morally bankrupt.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Your response took some

Your response took some time, I thought you'd gone away.

Thanks for coming back though.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

How should this be interpreted?

I knew you'd say that.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Cliff Jumper wrote:

May I ask why you wanted to know what the first two verses meant?

I wanted to see what understanding you had.

I expected your response as you claim to be a practicing Catholic. For you to see the quote in Luke 17:21 in a different light, such as I suggest, would be a heresy. If the Kingdom of God was within you then the need to go to mass is unwarranted. The comment in John 4 also supports this view, as Jesus told the woman that the time was coming when worship was to be in spirit and not in any physical place. Thomas also reinforced this and really is not any different than the Luke statement both stating the Kingdom of God is not a place. I see Jesus' activities in a far different manner than you. If he was a real person, he was a Jew involved in rebellion but in a different way than John the Baptist and the Zealots. Jesus advocated that the Jews needed to come back to the "pure law" discard Hellenism and wash away its evil, symbolically being baptized. As a Jew, his actions indicate this throughout the stories about him. Whether this was a composite of a desert prophet or a single person is not possible to determine with the sketchy history from the tumultuous times in the 1st century. This however is an entire different subject, perhaps another day.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

I consider and read plenty of things outside the church. As for the gnostic gospel, the reason I don't consider it important here is because it is not Catholic or Christian. Gnosticism is a completely separate religion. It borrows from Christianity, but it is a Greek Mystic religion. So, if I wanted to understand why the Catholic Church had priests I would read Catholic and Christian material on the subject, not about Greek mystic religions.

Obviously as a good Catholic you'd read what the Church claims, though the Church has had its own ends as a higher priority many times versus the individual. You however probably trust what they have to say, though that is unwarranted based on past performance. There are enough issues for me that I researched far beyond what the RCC claims through its various methods.

There is much to learn in even pagan Greek mystic religions that relate to the RCC. No stone should be left unturned  in examining the "Church" and Christians.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

As for the sacraments and the Old Testament you wouldn't find Jesus telling people about the sacraments it would be God, the Father. Since the Catholic church teaches that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are the same I use Jesus and God interchangeably. Chapter and verse for the following sacraments:

Confession/Penance: Leviticus Chapters 4-5

Judaism is about making amends and correcting the sin you have done. Catholic confession is no way at all similar. If you rob a small convenience store and don't get caught, you can confess the crime to the priest. He will forgive you and give you penance. Even if he tells you that you should take the money back and turn yourself in, you are forgiven. Let's say you turn yourself in though but don't have the money. So you don't correct the damage you have done. The Catholic view is you have been forgiven and have changed your way. The Jewish view is you still have not made amends for your sin against the store owner.

Leviticus 4-5 - I won't ask if the RCC sacrifices bullocks, goats and rams as I know that isn't the current method. You are of course using this as a basis for the idea of penance established by the Torah. There is still the issue of making whole the one who has been wronged. If it is the god, that is wronged, you swear, blaspheme, or whatever the priest dispenses the forgiveness for the god. If it is another who has been wronged, the priest still forgives the person, but the person must make amends for his sin as in Judaism. However, this is rarely done, and how do you make whole an individual you have wronged by rape, murder, theft, deceit, or adultery. Once you have slept with your neighbors wife you can't undo what you did. I certainly wouldn't forgive you for that. If you raped or killed  my daughter, I'd forgive you as you were torn asunder. No, I wouldn't I'd spit on you as you died.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Matthew 16:19, 2 Corinthians 5:18

- Peter's temp job status in the Matt quote should have ended soon thereafter, however God had a plan B to which Jesus had no clue. I refer of course to the statement "Amen I say to you, there are some of them that stand here, that shall not taste death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." in Matt 16:28 - DRO Here it indicates that some of these people standing right in front of him, would still be alive when the KOG came. I realize the Church spins this to mean when he is resurrected but that's a hard core spin. If it meant the Resurrection, that was very near to the time this statement was made, like less than one year. I'm pretty sure they expected to still be around in a year. If this means on his return some far off day in the future, they are all dead, so this was a false statement taken that way. So, it's either unrealistic or its false.

Then of course even though Pete has the keys, so do 2 or 3 Jesus believers, as indicated in Matt 18:18-20-DRO - " Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven. [19] Again I say to you, that if two of you shall consent upon earth, concerning any thing whatsoever they shall ask, it shall be done to them by my Father who is in heaven. [20] For where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them.

So, if Pete is the Church, he can be replaced by 2 or more believers per this statement by Jesus. No priest needed.

2 Cor 5:18 - is Paul, who never met Jesus and says all sorts of things that should be questioned. Here, he claims "But all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Christ; and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation." Which supports the Matt 18:18-20 quote not the Pete has the keys quote. Again, priest not req'd.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Eucharist: again at the Last Supper

This somehow then requires a priest to perform. It is like a healing circle exercise, see Constantine's Sword by Carroll.  It's like, let's all drink to our fallen comrades who have died in battle. Again, see Matt 18:18-

Cliff Jumper wrote:

John 6:53-59

I won't go into how this sounds sick and cannibalistic, it does. I realize the symbolism you claim. However, this can totally be metaphorical too. The flesh and blood can mean his words and examples not a ritualistic eating of the god from pagans

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Priests: Last Supper when Jesus said, "Do this in memory of me."

As the beer mugs clank together. Same deal, different method.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Priests were established many places in the Old Testament. Also in Matthew 28:16-20.

Catholic priests are not of the tribe of Levi.

Matt 28-16-20 - does give them whatever power Jesus is supposed to have, though previous statements don't make it exclusive or a sacrament.

Cliff Jumper wrote:

Marriage:

Genesis 2:24-25

Matthew Chapter 19

In Genesis 2 - no priest is present, the god does not perform a ceremony. No sacrament is developed here.

Matt 19 - This is where Jesus changes the Law of Moses, or the writer did. It still does not require a priest.

Other sacraments you didn't discuss-

Baptism - which I would argue was putting off the Hellenistic influences or making yourself pure to accept the pure law.

Confirmation

Anointing the sick

Holy orders is what you claim more or less in Matt 28.

Glad you are back.

Cliff Jumper
Theist
Cliff Jumper's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pauljohntheskeptic said:I

Pauljohntheskeptic said:

I wanted to see what understanding you had.

I expected your response as you claim to be a practicing Catholic. For you to see the quote in Luke 17:21 in a different light, such as I suggest, would be a heresy. If the Kingdom of God was within you then the need to go to mass is unwarranted. The comment in John 4 also supports this view, as Jesus told the woman that the time was coming when worship was to be in spirit and not in any physical place. Thomas also reinforced this and really is not any different than the Luke statement both stating the Kingdom of God is not a place. I see Jesus' activities in a far different manner than you. If he was a real person, he was a Jew involved in rebellion but in a different way than John the Baptist and the Zealots. Jesus advocated that the Jews needed to come back to the "pure law" discard Hellenism and wash away its evil, symbolically being baptized. As a Jew, his actions indicate this throughout the stories about him. Whether this was a composite of a desert prophet or a single person is not possible to determine with the sketchy history from the tumultuous times in the 1st century. This however is an entire different subject, perhaps another day.

My Response

If I were to see the quote in Luke 17:21 differently it would be untrue and contradictory to other statements Jesus made and His actions. It has nothing to do with the actual kingdom God being within you it is about how physically visible the kingdom of God will be. The best translation for 17:21 is “For behold, the kingdom of God is among you.” This is referring to the ministry of Jesus Christ, and His coming Church.

Again Jon 4:21-24 deals with Jesus, His ministry, and the Holy Spirit coming upon His Church. It does not condone worshipping anywhere.

The Gospel of Thomas is again a Gnostic gospel, and not Christian so it cannot be an authoritative Christian Catholic text. It’s like reading an astrology text to understand astronomy.

How you may see Jesus and who Jesus actually was are two different things. Luke, an impeccable historian, along with at least 100 other historians of the time, agreed that Jesus was one person and the canonical Gospel accounts are historically accurate. As for Him being the Son of God and human that is a matter of faith. Again though with over 500 witnesses to His resurrected Self this seems very likely.

I would like to ask these questions. If Jesus said the kingdom of God is truly within everyone, why did he attend synagogue? Why did he establish the Eucharist? Why did he command we do these things in memory of Him?

It’s quite clear from Jesus and His Disciples that one must attend Church and celebrate the liturgy and the Eucharist at least once a week on Sunday, the Sabbath. This seen Biblically again in the Last Supper, and in Acts 2:42,46 and Acts 20:7. It can also be seen in the early Church documents. The Didache for example says, “On the Lord’s Day of the Lord gather together, break bread, and give thanks after confessing your transgressions so that your sacrifice may be pure.”

Pauljohntheskeptic said:

Obviously as a good Catholic you'd read what the Church claims, though the Church has had its own ends as a higher priority many times versus the individual. You however probably trust what they have to say, though that is unwarranted based on past performance. There are enough issues for me that I researched far beyond what the RCC claims through its various methods.

There is much to learn in even pagan Greek mystic religions that relate to the RCC. No stone should be left unturned  in examining the "Church" and Christians.

My Response:

What past performances of the Church make believing the tenants of the faith questionable? I’m asking this question, because I’m assuming when you say, “…though the Church has had its own ends as a higher priority many times versus the individual” you are referring to something bad the Church supposedly did, and not it’s mission to bring souls to Christ and bring them to heaven.

My own extra-canonical research leads me to trust the Church. What have you found that contradicts my findings?

Pauljohntheskeptic said:

Judaism is about making amends and correcting the sin you have done. Catholic confession is no way at all similar. If you rob a small convenience store and don't get caught, you can confess the crime to the priest. He will forgive you and give you penance. Even if he tells you that you should take the money back and turn yourself in, you are forgiven. Let's say you turn yourself in though but don't have the money. So you don't correct the damage you have done. The Catholic view is you have been forgiven and have changed your way. The Jewish view is you still have not made amends for your sin against the store owner.

Leviticus 4-5 - I won't ask if the RCC sacrifices bullocks, goats and rams as I know that isn't the current method. You are of course using this as a basis for the idea of penance established by the Torah. There is still the issue of making whole the one who has been wronged. If it is the god, that is wronged, you swear, blaspheme, or whatever the priest dispenses the forgiveness for the god. If it is another who has been wronged, the priest still forgives the person, but the person must make amends for his sin as in Judaism. However, this is rarely done, and how do you make whole an individual you have wronged by rape, murder, theft, deceit, or adultery. Once you have slept with your neighbors wife you can't undo what you did. I certainly wouldn't forgive you for that. If you raped or killed  my daughter, I'd forgive you as you were torn asunder. No, I wouldn't I'd spit on you as you died.

My Response:

There are two major errors in this statement. The first is that the priest forgives you, untrue. God through the priest forgives you.

Second, is your assertion that, “Judaism is about making amends and correcting the sin you have done. Catholic confession is no way at all similar.” This is false. Catholic Confession is just as much about correcting your actions, and making amends with who you have wronged. In order to receive absolution from God for your sins you must be contrite and penitent of heart, you must freely and truly admit that what you have done was wrong and sinful. You must also make amends with God and the person(s) you have sinned against. From the Catechism, “Penance requires… the sinner to endure all things willingly, be contrite of heart, confess with the lips, and practice complete humility and fruitful satisfaction” Fruitful satisfaction involves making amends. If you are not truly penitent or contrite, and you do not take satisfactory action as defined by the Catechism and God through the priest you are not absolved.  Check out the Catechism of the Catholic Church pgs 364-367 particularly sections 1450-1460.

According to your example of robbery this person is not absolved unless his does satisfactory penance. Satisfactory penance would mostly like entail jail time to repay your debt to society, and return the money if possible.

My point with Leviticus 4-5 was that Confession was designed to be a physical action of Confession and penance, as opposed to what Protestants believe. Again, God through the priests absolves you of your sins only if you meet the previously stated criteria. You need to do some more reading on the sacrament of Reconciliation. Sadly, this is an area in which RCIA classes have been lacking for the past 30 years. I will pray that you will be able to forgive those who wrong you.

Pauljohntheskeptic said:

Peter's temp job status in the Matt quote should have ended soon thereafter, however God had a plan B to which Jesus had no clue. I refer of course to the statement "Amen I say to you, there are some of them that stand here, that shall not taste death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." in Matt 16:28 - DRO Here it indicates that some of these people standing right in front of him, would still be alive when the KOG came. I realize the Church spins this to mean when he is resurrected but that's a hard core spin. If it meant the Resurrection, that was very near to the time this statement was made, like less than one year. I'm pretty sure they expected to still be around in a year. If this means on his return some far off day in the future, they are all dead, so this was a false statement taken that way. So, it's either unrealistic or its false.

Then of course even though Pete has the keys, so do 2 or 3 Jesus believers, as indicated in Matt 18:18-20-DRO - " Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven. [19] Again I say to you, that if two of you shall consent upon earth, concerning any thing whatsoever they shall ask, it shall be done to them by my Father who is in heaven. [20] For where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them.

So, if Pete is the Church, he can be replaced by 2 or more believers per this statement by Jesus. No priest needed.

2 Cor 5:18 - is Paul, who never met Jesus and says all sorts of things that should be questioned. Here, he claims "But all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Christ; and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation." Which supports the Matt 18:18-20 quote not the Pete has the keys quote. Again, priest not req'd.

My Response:

Again there is an error in your interpretation of Luke 9:27. This is referring to the coming of His Church, and the Holy Spirit. Jesus was not talking about the 2nd coming. This prophecy was fulfilled on Pentecost. It is very realistic. This means that Peter did not have a “temp job” he was to be the first Pope, and the other disciples were to be priests and bishops.

It is true that the Jesus gave all of His disciples the ability to bind and loose(making all the disciples priests), but he exclusively singled out Peter by giving him, “the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven…” or the Church; therefore, Peter is the first Pope. See the Catechism of the Catholic Church pgs. 141-142 specifically parts 552-553.

Again an error in your statement that Peter is the Church, this is incorrect. The Pope is the visible of head the Church on Earth. The Holy Spirit, Jesus is the creator of the Church, the head of the Church. This is why the Church is seen as the mystical body of Christ. See COCC pgs. 203-205.

Your interpretation of Matthew 18:18-20 is incorrect. These verses deal with the presence of efficacy of prayer. This does not eliminate the need for priests. 

The 2 Cor 5:18 deals with Paul’s attempt to explain God’s action through Jesus, specifically the reconciliation of sins through Jesus to be distributed by the ambassadors of Christ, priests. This is why it is part of the disciples ministry.

You might want to do some more research in this area. (no sarcasm intended)

Pauljohntheskeptic said:

This somehow then requires a priest to perform. It is like a healing circle exercise, see Constantine's Sword by Carroll.  It's like, let's all drink to our fallen comrades who have died in battle. Again, see Matt 18:18-

My Response:

Yes, the Eucharist requires a priest to perform it, because God commanded His disciples, the first priests, bishops, and Pope to do that in memory of Him. The need to celebrate the Eucharist is seen from the beginning of the Church at the Last Supper and Pentecost. Again see the Didache. You are grossly misinterpreting the Last Supper if you are likening it to drinking to fallen comrades. 

Pauljohntheskeptic said:

I won't go into how this sounds sick and cannibalistic, it does. I realize the symbolism you claim. However, this can totally be metaphorical too. The flesh and blood can mean his words and examples not a ritualistic eating of the god from pagans

My Response:

It does not sound sick and cannibalistic. Again please read the Catechism for more information on why the Eucharist is not cannibalistic. It cannot be metaphorical, because Jesus always explained the metaphors, parables, He told. In this case, he did not correct the crowds, because they correctly understood what He was saying. Michael Voris did a good show about this particular topic. It’s free to listen to here http://www.theonetruefaith.tv/index.php?nav=04&content=20 All of season 4.

Pauljohntheskeptic said:

As the beer mugs clank together. Same deal, different method.

My Response:

Again gross misinterpretation. 

Pauljohntheskeptic said:

Catholic priests are not of the tribe of Levi.

Matt 28-16-20 - does give them whatever power Jesus is supposed to have, though previous statements don't make it exclusive or a sacrament.

My Response:

No Catholic priests are not of the tribe of Levi, but this was to show you that God established the sacrament of Holy Orders in the Old Testament. This was then continued in the Church.

Matthew 28:16-20 does not give the Disciples all the powers Jesus had. It gave 10 of them the general powers(for lack of a better word) that priests have, and 1, Peter, the keys to the Kingdom, the Church, making Peter Pope. Previous statements do make this exclusive to those who receive the sacrament of Holy Orders. The Disciples of Christ were the only ones given the powers of binding and loosening, and the only ones to receive the Great Commission. They were the only ones given the power to ordain other people into the Catholic Church. 

Again, you might need to do more research on these areas. (no sarcasm intended)

Pauljohntheskeptic said:

In Genesis 2 - no priest is present, the god does not perform a ceremony. No sacrament is developed here.

Matt 19 - This is where Jesus changes the Law of Moses, or the writer did. It still does not require a priest.

Other sacraments you didn't discuss-

Baptism - which I would argue was putting off the Hellenistic influences or making yourself pure to accept the pure law.

Confirmation

Anointing the sick

Holy orders is what you claim more or less in Matt 28.

Glad you are back.

My Response:

In Genesis 2 God is present, the creator of the sacraments. You are correct that no modern ceremony is preformed, but the spirit of the ceremony is there. The marriage ceremony officially binds the two together, in the eyes’ of God, the Church, and the community. This is what God did in Genesis 2. This constitutes the development on the Sacrament of Matrimony.

In Matthew 19 Jesus does not change the Law of Moses He fulfills it. Again you need to do more research on this.

As for the other sacraments I’ll give an example of each being established in the Bible.

Baptism-many prefigurations of baptism are seen in the Old Testament. For example Noah’s Flood or the crossing of the Jordan River by the Jews into the Promised Land. Of course there is also Christ’s baptism.

Confirmation or Chrismation- First a definition of Confirmation, “Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace; it the sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us more closely with her mission, and help us bear witness to the Christian faith in words accompanied by deeds.” This is seen in at Pentecost, in Luke 12:12, Easter Sunday, and John 7:37-39

Anoiting of the Sick- James 5:14-15 or prefigured in the fulfillment of Isiah 53:4 in Matthew 8:17.

Now may I say this:

It seems to me that what you are looking for, when asking me to show you where the sacraments are in the Bible, is an actual list spoken by Christ. This, I will concede, is not in the Bible, but the spirit of the sacraments, a definition or description of them, and the command to do them is there. Many of the Sacraments received their names after the Ascension of Christ so they would not be spoken by name by Christ. Again though the spirit, definition, and command to practice them is seen in the Bible.