Bill Maher doesn't see the forest for the trees

BookofJob
Theist
Posts: 20
Joined: 2010-04-29
User is offlineOffline
Bill Maher doesn't see the forest for the trees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYW2xXxFVtU&feature=related

 

 

http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/intelligent_design_religion_science.html

 

 The first 20 or so seconds are the best...see what Maher says (watch it all though freely)...then  read the second link.

Compare...with your own rational mind. Who told you that Christianity wants to 'close of all discussion'? Or that the search for God closes of all discussion?

Here's a test for all athiests.

Riddle me:

Who are the 3 portraits that Albert Einstien kept on his study wall? He (somewhat famously) kept 3 that are known. These are three men. What are the backgrounds of these three men? This is not a statement of Einstein being a Christian..he was not by all accounts.

It's a question about what 'rationally' closes of enquiry and what does not.

Is it true?.....or is it what you've been told? By perhaps the misinformed?

 

 

 

 


jimmy.williamson
Superfan
jimmy.williamson's picture
Posts: 249
Joined: 2010-08-07
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Bill. You are

I agree with Bill. You are Christian or so it would seem. That was the stories you were told to believe in. I am Atheist so I don't believe that there is a god. Bill says he's not sure, well I am. I was a Christian that broke free from the fairy tells. Read my signature.

Throughout human history as our species has faced the frighten terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are and where we are going; it has been the authority (the political, the religious, and the educational authorities) who have attempted to comfort us. By giving us order, rules, and regulation. Informing or forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question these authorities. THINK FOR YOURSELF…


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
BookofJob wrote:

BookofJob wrote:

Compare...with your own rational mind. Who told you that Christianity wants to 'close of all discussion'? Or that the search for God closes of all discussion?


 

Actually, numerous christians have told me all they need to know is Christ and the bible.  Hardly an open discussion.

 

BookofJob wrote:

Here's a test for all athiests.

Riddle me:

Who are the 3 portraits that Albert Einstien kept on his study wall? He (somewhat famously) kept 3 that are known. These are three men. What are the backgrounds of these three men? This is not a statement of Einstein being a Christian..he was not by all accounts.

It's a question about what 'rationally' closes of enquiry and what does not.

Is it true?.....or is it what you've been told? By perhaps the misinformed?

 

Newton, Maxwell, and Faraday.  They were all supposedly christian.  So?

Einstein was of Jewish descent.  He did not practice, but always felt connected ethnically.  So he put portraits on his study wall of men who made scientific discoveries that he felt were true genius.  Religion was not important to Einstein, what was important was the advance of knowledge.  Find me an ID'er who has made comparable advances in our knowledge of the world and I will get impressed.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
Posts: 862
Joined: 2009-08-06
User is offlineOffline
BookofJob wrote:t.Is it

BookofJob wrote:
t.

Is it true?.....or is it what you've been told? By perhaps the misinformed?

 

Farraday, Maxwell, and Newton....so what's your point?

Is what you beleive true, or is it what you've been told? By perhaps the misinformed?

 

On another note, the problem with ID is that it amounts to question begging. That is, one is looking for teleology in the form of design by arbitrary definitions of design defined by the proponents, of which the proponents attempt to show.

 

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
It doesn't matter

 

Which pictures were hanging on uncle albert's wall and whether or not we believe in their existence tho' we can't walk into that room and see for ourselves is not important. These pictures are mundane, everyday things. I have such pictures hanging my own wall here at home.

In comparison, god is a being as yet undefined. The qualities generally applied to this being are without coherent definition or means of measurement. All powerful. Perfect. Holy. Eternal. None of these words means anything actual. Then there are the anthropomorphic modules bolted onto the god-thing. Merciful. Forgiving. Loving. The texts show these qualities, from a biblical perspective, to be in universally short supply. The idea of god personifying the opioid pathway simulating chemicals that dish up human love is silly.  

Christians post re-birth suffer from a cognitive blindspot that guarantees they approach 'truth' from the point of view of acceptance of the existence of god, deny this how they will.

 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
Posts: 597
Joined: 2009-03-20
User is offlineOffline
It's really not that

It's really not that difficult to understand. Once you say something has been "designed" there is no longer any reason to seek out the ways that it evolved. Therefore, you're closing of [sic] enquiry [sic]. And as I've pointed out elsewhere, it's basically saying "I'm too stupid/ignorant to figure out how eyeballs (etc.) evolved, so therefore they must be designed."


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
I always wondered what would

I always wondered what would bother Christians more.

Science:

racking up evidence and proving that there is no intelligent designer of the universe.

or

discovering and publicizing his name and address.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2929
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I always

jcgadfly wrote:

I always wondered what would bother Christians more.

Science:

racking up evidence and proving that there is no intelligent designer of the universe.

or

discovering and publicizing his name and address.

Lol.  Obviously the second.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:jcgadfly

mellestad wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

I always wondered what would bother Christians more.

Science:

racking up evidence and proving that there is no intelligent designer of the universe.

or

discovering and publicizing his name and address.

Lol.  Obviously the second.

Majikthise: I mean, what's the use of our sitting around half the night arguing whether there may...
Vroomfondel: Or may not.
Majikthise: ...be a God, if this machine only goes and gives you his phone number in the morning?
Vroomfondel: That's right! We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

From The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Ep.1.4

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
Posts: 868
Joined: 2008-02-06
User is offlineOffline
BookofJob

BookofJob wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYW2xXxFVtU&feature=related

 

 

http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/intelligent_design_religion_science.html

 

 The first 20 or so seconds are the best...see what Maher says (watch it all though freely)...then  read the second link.

Compare...with your own rational mind. Who told you that Christianity wants to 'close of all discussion'? Or that the search for God closes of all discussion?

Here's a test for all athiests.

Riddle me:

Who are the 3 portraits that Albert Einstien kept on his study wall? He (somewhat famously) kept 3 that are known. These are three men. What are the backgrounds of these three men? This is not a statement of Einstein being a Christian..he was not by all accounts.

It's a question about what 'rationally' closes of enquiry and what does not.

Is it true?.....or is it what you've been told? By perhaps the misinformed? 

 

Way to not make a point, dude... For the record, I have a picture of my nutty Uncle Angelo, and Thurman Munson here in my office... to my knowledge they were both Christians... and that proves....?????


ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
Posts: 862
Joined: 2009-08-06
User is offlineOffline
I thinks BoJ needs a Troll

I thinks BoJ needs a Troll badge