God as a safety net

ssalvia
atheist
User is offlineOffline
God as a safety net

Hey guys,

Being raised in an italian catholic family, I've often noticed how God, Jesus and various saints are used as a support system. And now more than ever, it seems like putting faith into something like God allows people to take the pressure off themselves and let go of a lot of tension regarding life's little speed bumps. Its a nice little security blanket. Would you agree?

S.

OhMan
atheist
OhMan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tell that to them and they

Tell that to them and they would think your a condescending asshole. People shouldn't need to invent some sort of 'emotional crutch' in order to get through life, especially if it is a fabrication.

Even if believe in God was statistically proven to increase a persons happiness, it still wouldn't have any impact on its truth value. At the end of the day, it all comes down to whether or not you agree with this statement: "ignorance is bliss".

I for one, do not think ignorance is bliss.

jimmy.williamson
Superfan
jimmy.williamson's picture
User is offlineOffline
ssalvia wrote: Hey

ssalvia wrote:

Hey guys,

Being raised in an italian catholic family, I've often noticed how God, Jesus and various saints are used as a support system. And now more than ever, it seems like putting faith into something like God allows people to take the pressure off themselves and let go of a lot of tension regarding life's little speed bumps. Its a nice little security blanket. Would you agree?

S.

I see the use of a safety net as there way of doing thing and not taking the credit. Its like when they get caught with there pants down around their ankles they blame the devil for putting these evil thoughts in their heads. All they have to do ask for forgiveness and all is well. It just allows them to make horrible judgment calls and feel great at the end of the day.

Throughout human history as our species has faced the frighten terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are and where we are going; it has been the authority (the political, the religious, and the educational authorities) who have attempted to comfort us. By giving us order, rules, and regulation. Informing or forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question these authorities. THINK FOR YOURSELF…

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I came across this study

I came across this study which may be relevant

http://www2.psych.ubc.ca/~ara/Manuscripts/Norenzayanetal_SocCog_2008.doc.pdf

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
@OP:  Yea, it is a security

@OP:  Yea, it is a security blanket...both against daily circumstance and against the fear of death and ceasing to exist.

Although to be fair, even most atheists have plenty of similar psychological crutches...it is sort of human nature.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.