Glenn Beck rally, the Islamic center and freedom of speech

ragdish
atheist
ragdish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Glenn Beck rally, the Islamic center and freedom of speech

Granted there are no Glenn Beck fanatics strapping dynamite to their chests but IMO his Christo-fascist rally mirrors the Islamic center being built at Ground Zero. I find both offensive and I absolutely defend their right to freedom of expression. For Beck and his rightwing nut jobs to hold a rally on the very spot where Martin Luther King gave his historic speech, this exemplifies how far freedom of thought has evolved in the US. And I wouldn't be surprised if Becky started singing:

Would you like to see Americana rule again

My friends

All you have to do is follow the worms!!!!!!!

Would you like to send our colored cousins home again

My friends

All you have to do is follow the worms!!!!!!!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are in about as much

You are in about as much danger of Rachael "carpet rubber" Mad cow taking over the government.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
continuing with the Pink

continuing with the Pink Floyd motif, here is how republicans see Glen Beck:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Speaking of totalitarianism,

Speaking of totalitarianism, I thought that you might be interested in the Military Orchestra of the Soviet Red Army...

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

You are in about as much danger of Rachael "carpet rubber" Mad cow taking over the government.

I'm more worried about Beck hailing someone dangerous as the American Messiah and leading him/her/it to the throne.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I understand Ragdish's

I understand Ragdish's concern....

In another thread there has been a hypothetical discussion as to whether a sudden worldwide epiphany embracing rationality and (for the most part) ending religion's stanglehold on intellect would effect the peace process....  The prevailing thought, which I happen to agree with... is that even with an absence of religion, human nature wouild still find a way for people to divide themselves into warring parties... simply put, the masses tend to be "followers"...

Enter Glenn Beck.... and I will agree that we are probably not talking about Beck alone, but rather the impact any charismatic, lyrically evangelical, ambitious performer might have on such people... The truth is... UnLike Rush Limbaugh who couldn't charm a puppy with a handful of doggy treats... Beck is Mezmerising, if not hypnotic when he speaks... especially Live...the fact that he can inspire such devotion that he could draw such a massive crowd on MLK's anniversary is foreboding...... watching how comfortable he is in front of such an audience without drugs or alchohol is truly amazing... The reality is, like our President...he too is a Rock star.... History shows how important charisma is to inciting the masses...

There was a time i actually *liked* Beck... when he was on "Headline News" he was not nearly this manic in his delivery... But to put that in perspective... I also used to play Baseball with a kid who would up going to jail for murder, and after becoming a white supremist was killed in a race riot while serving a life sentence... I once liked him too...

I just blogged about this: http://richwoodsblog.wordpress.com/

Tadgh
atheist
Tadgh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those clips (Leningrad

Those clips (Leningrad Cowboys) are hilarious, and actually rather amusing. I am definitely going to pass them along. Thanks.

huxuecan
User is offlineOffline
hat he brought in a dozen

Dude, the spam has simply got to stop.

AIGS