Been Awhile

Kirkby
User is offlineOffline
Been Awhile

Hello all.  Just wanted to let y'all know I'm back (I came here a couple years ago for a very short stint).  I'd also like to thank all the rational minds on this forum for your excellent posts, which have helped me realize just how silly christianity is.  Simply put, I am now an atheist, and I'm interested in learning more about evolution and science in general.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Welcome/welcome back.

Welcome/welcome back.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Kirkby wrote:Hello all. 

Kirkby wrote:

Hello all.  Just wanted to let y'all know I'm back (I came here a couple years ago for a very short stint).  I'd also like to thank all the rational minds on this forum for your excellent posts, which have helped me realize just how silly christianity is.  Simply put, I am now an atheist, and I'm interested in learning more about evolution and science in general.

Welcome back.  I'm curious, could you expand on the role this website played in helping you overcome Christianity?  It helps keep us going to know these things.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back! 

Welcome back!

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Kirkby
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: Welcome

Sapient wrote:

Welcome back.  I'm curious, could you expand on the role this website played in helping you overcome Christianity?  It helps keep us going to know these things.

I already had issues with how many churches (especially megachurches) claim to believe the bible to be god's infalliable word, yet put the interpretation of a pastor on that same pedestal.  Having lost faith in the American church, the next step was shedding my christian belief completely.  Your site, along with several atheist YouTube videos, such as NonStampCollector's Context video, helped solidify my nonbelief.  By realizing the holes in many common arguements for a god-belief, such as the First Cause arguement's presumption of their deity being the first cause, I was able to overcome Christianity.  Your forums, along with an introduction to Logical Fallacies (skeptoid), helped me realize those holes.  I have also become more aware of the psychological tools used by religious groups.  I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed logical arguements and counter-arguements to the AvT, Kill em' with Kindness, & Irrational Precepts forums.

SHORT VERSION:

I came, I saw, I thought.  Then I quit believing.  Thanks.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
God belief is invisible

God belief is invisible spaghetti. One you buy the claim that food magically appears you will buy any flavor sold to you. Complex crap is complex crap. Twinkies sold in a gold foil wrapper sound nice, but I wouldn't eat Twinkies every day.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gratz

Gratz

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome back.  

Welcome back.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare