Meaning of Life is banned

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Meaning of Life is banned

Over the last few weeks we have been interacting with a user who goes by "Meaning_of_life."  MOL has had many interactions that skirt the edge of our rules however we have allowed his tripe to stay because we do everything we can to allow Christians a chance to vocalize themselves on our site.  Recently though MOL has gone too far and we have no choice but to ban him.  He has chosen to make his attacks very personal.  Divulging personal details about certain members, or using personal details about members that they don't want posted.  Some members have suggested that MOL is Matt however an ip check, and email check against sites like facebook show that MOL is someone entirely different.  If you haven't seen our forum rules, here they are.

I deleted two threads that were created with the sole purpose of attacking a forum member personally.  I will not point out the other thread in which a member was upset where a personal detail was used in an obnoxiously hurtful manner.  

If Meaning of Life would like to write an apology letter at some point he may send it to me, I will post it, and it will be used as consideration to remove the ban in the future. Currently MOL can view our site and this thread however any attempt to return will result in us blocking his access to the site entirely.  

MOL: Take note... I know your real name and where you live but haven't posted it.  You know why?  Because I'm not a disgusting asshole like you.

 

 

 

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2446
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
I support.

 

 

 

                          Give  'em hell  Brian!!   Yet I think he owes a written apologie to Rebecca Williamson.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

 

 

 

                          Give  'em hell  Brian!!   Yet I think he owes a written apologie to Rebecca Williamson.

I agree totally, Jeffrick.

For myself, I was rather disappointed. He made a whole thread about me and that was the best he could do.

My thanks to those who came to my defense.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
In support generally, but I

In support generally, but I don't think a written apology should give him a second chance.  His comment to Rebecca was inexcusable and there is no way to sufficiently apologize.  Perhaps if he volunteered at a live in facility or hostel for children and his hours were documented and forwarded on to Rebecca along with (hopefully) positive comments from the volunteer coordinator.  And if Rebecca then forgave him, maybe then.  Maybe.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2446
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
ditto

                  I too have a weight problem ;  for other people not me 250 lbs, give or take a bit., but i don't have a problem with it.  I washed dishes in five different restaurants and worked at an industrial laundry all for minnimum wage [apparently a co-worker of author Stephan King for several weeks back in 1975] I'd love a job at a library or book store since my forcible retirement two years ago. One library and four book stores have turned me down, so far.  If you ever saw my image on the old RRS podcasts,  that loaded bookshelf behind me is real [ one of three I own] .  So I didn't think of you when MoL went nuts but the insult to Mrs. Williamson was way out of line Is MoL realy Glenn 'bigot' Beck?

 

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
Posts: 868
Joined: 2008-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

 

 

 

                          Give  'em hell  Brian!!   Yet I think he owes a written apologie to Rebecca Williamson.

 

Someone capable of such an overt, unjustified assault is not likely to offer an apology... This kind of cowardice rarely accords an ability to reason, and more likely is the result of an emotionally damaged person, more worthy of pity than anger...

 

For myself, I'd like to say that if Rebecca and the others who were victims of defamation weren't consistantly smart and rational contributors, they would have never ben singled out...  You  and your thoughts are valued.


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

                  I too have a weight problem ;  for other people not me 250 lbs, give or take a bit., but i don't have a problem with it.  I washed dishes in five different restaurants and worked at an industrial laundry all for minnimum wage [apparently a co-worker of author Stephan King for several weeks back in 1975] I'd love a job at a library or book store since my forcible retirement two years ago. One library and four book stores have turned me down, so far.  If you ever saw my image on the old RRS podcasts,  that loaded bookshelf behind me is real [ one of three I own] .  So I didn't think of you when MoL went nuts but the insult to Mrs. Williamson was way out of line Is MoL realy Glenn 'bigot' Beck?

 

No problem, I wasn't going for sympathy. I was just hoping for more in a thread dedicated to me than "You're an old fat guy who works in education and is studying something you love."

 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Thank you Brian. This will

Thank you Brian. This will definatly be a less stressful discussion board without his existance.


jimmy.williamson
Superfan
jimmy.williamson's picture
Posts: 249
Joined: 2010-08-07
User is offlineOffline
Thank you brian

Brian, I keep my mouth shut through this in fear that my words would have had me removed. I think everyone has seen when you mess with becky you typically get me too. I would like to thank everyone that came to her defense. Thank you all! There seems to be a rash of these hateful Christians, and yes I do believe that he was a Christian. I think that when he decided that he couldn't save this board then destroy it. I'm sorry but my hatred for hypocritical Christians grows!

Throughout human history as our species has faced the frighten terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are and where we are going; it has been the authority (the political, the religious, and the educational authorities) who have attempted to comfort us. By giving us order, rules, and regulation. Informing or forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question these authorities. THINK FOR YOURSELF…


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Over the last

Sapient wrote:

Over the last few weeks we have been interacting with a user who goes by "Meaning_of_life."  MOL has had many interactions that skirt the edge of our rules however we have allowed his tripe to stay because we do everything we can to allow Christians a chance to vocalize themselves on our site.  Recently though MOL has gone too far and we have no choice but to ban him.  He has chosen to make his attacks very personal.  Divulging personal details about certain members, or using personal details about members that they don't want posted.  Some members have suggested that MOL is Matt however an ip check, and email check against sites like facebook show that MOL is someone entirely different.  If you haven't seen our forum rules, here they are.

I deleted two threads that were created with the sole purpose of attacking a forum member personally.  I will not point out the other thread in which a member was upset where a personal detail was used in an obnoxiously hurtful manner.  

If Meaning of Life would like to write an apology letter at some point he may send it to me, I will post it, and it will be used as consideration to remove the ban in the future. Currently MOL can view our site and this thread however any attempt to return will result in us blocking his access to the site entirely.  

MOL: Take note... I know your real name and where you live but haven't posted it.  You know why?  Because I'm not a disgusting asshole like you.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
Posts: 862
Joined: 2009-08-06
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Over the last

Sapient wrote:

Over the last few weeks we have been interacting with a user who goes by "Meaning_of_life."  MOL has had many interactions that skirt the edge of our rules however we have allowed his tripe to stay because we do everything we can to allow Christians a chance to vocalize themselves on our site.

He was a nice guy at first...but then it seems he started taking things personally when others started showing problems with his arguments.... Sad

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”


Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
Posts: 1565
Joined: 2007-01-18
User is offlineOffline
 nom nom nom, What?

 

nom nom nom, What?


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Gauche, that picture is

Gauche, that picture is awesome!

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
Alright... I never

Alright... I never understood the "tasty babies" meme. Someone care to explain it for me?


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Alright... I

Kapkao wrote:

Alright... I never understood the "tasty babies" meme. Someone care to explain it for me?

It's basic...

Eating babies is extremely evil.  Atheists should be perceived as extremely evil.  Atheists eat babies. 

 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
That's it? So that's means

That's it? So that's means that all stillbirth- and miscarriage-eating Chinese people are evil now?

I would think sending a vulture or two after a starving kid would be more evil than atheist babymunchers...

(btw, photographer commited suicide after getting an award for that pic)

...or, hell -atheists taking up arms with Grendel to waylay Beowulf & co. would be more evil than that!

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
Posts: 1565
Joined: 2007-01-18
User is offlineOffline
I didn't read his posts. Why

I didn't read his posts. Why would I read the posts of someone who calls himself "the meaning of life"? If you call yourself the meaning of life you have nothing to say that would interest me even remotely . I only clicked because I thought it was about the Monty Python film. The grim reaper came to the man's house and he said "is it about the hedge?" classic.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
He was amusing for his time

He was amusing for his time - he just couldn't handle his arguments being questioned.


Tadgh
atheist
Tadgh's picture
Posts: 125
Joined: 2010-08-29
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Alright... I

Kapkao wrote:
Alright... I never understood the "tasty babies" meme. Someone care to explain it for me?
 

 It is a reference to the old christian justification for suppressing various groups (Jews, witches, etc.) I think the justification may be older than the christians themselves, but it goes something like this: "That group of people make it a habit of eating (or drinking the blood of) christian babies. We whould burn and kill all of them."

I expect the charge has been levied against atheists. The 'tasty babies' meme is (I guess) a response to, or just a mocking of yet another set of lies the christians traditionally like to tell.

Oh, and by the way... Sapient, good job on banning the troll. I SO wanted to respond to the Hitchens post.


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2929
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:In support

cj wrote:

In support generally, but I don't think a written apology should give him a second chance.  His comment to Rebecca was inexcusable and there is no way to sufficiently apologize.  Perhaps if he volunteered at a live in facility or hostel for children and his hours were documented and forwarded on to Rebecca along with (hopefully) positive comments from the volunteer coordinator.  And if Rebecca then forgave him, maybe then.  Maybe.

Yup.

 

I was disappointed though, he was a sharp debater, especially for newer members.  I think the more experienced people ignored him for too long and it went to his head.  If I had to guess I'd say he got exactly what he wanted with a ban.  Now he can say the mean atheists persecuted him.

Still, the attitude was poison and the last few comments deserved a banning, no question.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


jimmy.williamson
Superfan
jimmy.williamson's picture
Posts: 249
Joined: 2010-08-07
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:cj wrote:In

mellestad wrote:

cj wrote:

In support generally, but I don't think a written apology should give him a second chance.  His comment to Rebecca was inexcusable and there is no way to sufficiently apologize.  Perhaps if he volunteered at a live in facility or hostel for children and his hours were documented and forwarded on to Rebecca along with (hopefully) positive comments from the volunteer coordinator.  And if Rebecca then forgave him, maybe then.  Maybe.

Yup.

 

I was disappointed though, he was a sharp debater, especially for newer members.  I think the more experienced people ignored him for too long and it went to his head.  If I had to guess I'd say he got exactly what he wanted with a ban.  Now he can say the mean atheists persecuted him.

Still, the attitude was poison and the last few comments deserved a banning, no question.

Did you actually read his post before you made this statement? He debated the meaning of the word "cruel" for two days with the definition right in front of his face.

Then when I tried to get him to verify his comments made about the original post he just kept avoiding the question. He would only verify them if I first agreed with his general position.

I hope your not the "more experienced people" you were referring too! If so good luck debating people that have no point, but try to make one. (Froodley) That would be a good start, lets see you talk some sense into Froodley.

Now the way MOL presented himself in the beginning was that of a debater, however seeing his pursuit of unobtainable points showed different.

I don't take kindly to people attacking my wife with rude comments. If you really want to see fire shoot out of my eyes say something about my son!

He did both, and showed NO SIGNS of being a debater at all. So don't be disappointed. The next moron is all yours!

Throughout human history as our species has faced the frighten terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are and where we are going; it has been the authority (the political, the religious, and the educational authorities) who have attempted to comfort us. By giving us order, rules, and regulation. Informing or forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question these authorities. THINK FOR YOURSELF…


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2929
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
jimmy.williamson

jimmy.williamson wrote:

mellestad wrote:

cj wrote:

In support generally, but I don't think a written apology should give him a second chance.  His comment to Rebecca was inexcusable and there is no way to sufficiently apologize.  Perhaps if he volunteered at a live in facility or hostel for children and his hours were documented and forwarded on to Rebecca along with (hopefully) positive comments from the volunteer coordinator.  And if Rebecca then forgave him, maybe then.  Maybe.

Yup.

 

I was disappointed though, he was a sharp debater, especially for newer members.  I think the more experienced people ignored him for too long and it went to his head.  If I had to guess I'd say he got exactly what he wanted with a ban.  Now he can say the mean atheists persecuted him.

Still, the attitude was poison and the last few comments deserved a banning, no question.

Did you actually read his post before you made this statement? He debated the meaning of the word "cruel" for two days with the definition right in front of his face.

Then when I tried to get him to verify his comments made about the original post he just kept avoiding the question. He would only verify them if I first agreed with his general position.

I hope your not the "more experienced people" you were referring too! If so good luck debating people that have no point, but try to make one. (Froodley) That would be a good start, lets see you talk some sense into Froodley.

Now the way MOL presented himself in the beginning was that of a debater, however seeing his pursuit of unobtainable points showed different.

I don't take kindly to people attacking my wife with rude comments. If you really want to see fire shoot out of my eyes say something about my son!

He did both, and showed NO SIGNS of being a debater at all. So don't be disappointed. The next moron is all yours!

Ok.  I'm not interested in bickering with you about it and, he is gone now in any case.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


jimmy.williamson
Superfan
jimmy.williamson's picture
Posts: 249
Joined: 2010-08-07
User is offlineOffline
Sorry to come across so

Sorry to come across so harsh, but that hit a nerve. That prick slandered my wife and kid. And I didn't see the first real points that he made. Were good just please understand MOL holds a real special place in my heart now. I may be new to this site however I'm not new to idea of Atheism or christianty. I did lose my cool with him a time or two, but he was very frustrating. I don't look to argue against you, rather I hope that we can debate together.

Throughout human history as our species has faced the frighten terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are and where we are going; it has been the authority (the political, the religious, and the educational authorities) who have attempted to comfort us. By giving us order, rules, and regulation. Informing or forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question these authorities. THINK FOR YOURSELF…


Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5133
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
Mellestad is one of the good guys, Jimmy,

 

I think MoL did a bit of a number on all of us. Initially, he seemed a decent bloke who put a lot of effort into a fairly cerebral epistemological position. And it's always a shame to lose a proactive debater. Having said this and as Melles pointed out, MoL crossed the line and deserved the axe. I don't know why he suddenly started playing the troll with you guys after being reasonable for so long - but as you see there's no support for that sort of behaviour here. .

I think it highlights the fundamental truth that you want to keep some of the more sensitive personal stuff between yourself and people you can trust in areas like Atheists Only on an open forum like this. Sooner or later some goose is going to whack you on the back of the head with your honesty. Of course, you can be brave and open as you and Rebecca have been but there is an element of risk in it. 

 

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
Posts: 679
Joined: 2010-05-02
User is offlineOffline
jimmy.williamson wrote:Sorry

jimmy.williamson wrote:
Sorry to come across so harsh, but that hit a nerve. That prick slandered my wife and kid. And I didn't see the first real points that he made. Were good just please understand MOL holds a real special place in my heart now. I may be new to this site however I'm not new to idea of Atheism or christianty. I did lose my cool with him a time or two, but he was very frustrating. I don't look to argue against you, rather I hope that we can debate together.

 

Jimmy,

I told the story of "meaning of life" to my wife.  Her response: you did not spend enough time on forums!  The point is that if you put anything online be ready that morons of various nature will attack anything and everything that you write; you should be prepared to this and do not take it close to your heart.   Think of this, Ann Coulter is someone on the web, and she may as well spit shit in anybody's face.  If someone on a message board would tell me that I am a f... m... .... , perhaps I will not feel bad about this, I know he will not likely to tell me this in person.  So, please do not get really frustrated, we are 6 billion people or so, and we are producing millions of tons of shit every day.  Maybe I am wrong, this is just a thought.

100%


jimmy.williamson
Superfan
jimmy.williamson's picture
Posts: 249
Joined: 2010-08-07
User is offlineOffline
I realize that people will

I realize that people will take any and every effort to kick you in the balls behind your back. My complaint with complementing him was he never really made a point. Most of his post were little jabs at people. Not just me and Becky but others as well. I also realized that this behavior would not be tolerated by the board. My hats off too all that come to our defense. You may or may not have noticed but right after all of this occurred I joined the paying subscription. This should show that I appreciate the support and I'm not wavered in my support of this forum. There will be more MOL I am sure of that. Maybe next time I will take a few more precautions myself. Again thank you all, and I have your backs if I see the same actions taken against you.

Throughout human history as our species has faced the frighten terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are and where we are going; it has been the authority (the political, the religious, and the educational authorities) who have attempted to comfort us. By giving us order, rules, and regulation. Informing or forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question these authorities. THINK FOR YOURSELF…


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:I

Atheistextremist wrote:

I think it highlights the fundamental truth that you want to keep some of the more sensitive personal stuff between yourself and people you can trust in areas like Atheists Only on an open forum like this.  

You're right.  I just spent some time affixing the "atheist" tag to several active members who I believe are atheist from my reading of their posts.  I believe that will give them access to the private forum.  I'll make a thread soon for other people to request the tag.

If you are a superfan of the site and would like that tag, please post a request here.  

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.


rebecca.williamson
atheist
Posts: 459
Joined: 2010-08-09
User is offlineOffline
Sapient

Sapient wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

I think it highlights the fundamental truth that you want to keep some of the more sensitive personal stuff between yourself and people you can trust in areas like Atheists Only on an open forum like this.  

You're right.  I just spent some time affixing the "atheist" tag to several active members who I believe are atheist from my reading of their posts.  I believe that will give them access to the private forum.  I'll make a thread soon for other people to request the tag.

If you are a superfan of the site and would like that tag, please post a request here.  

 

Cool!!! thanks

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.


Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
Posts: 868
Joined: 2008-02-06
User is offlineOffline
Agreed Jimmy... attacks at

Agreed Jimmy... attacks at someone's children are indefensible....Communicating annonomously on the Internet breeds cowardice... Messageboards in particular allow the mentally imbalanced and intimacy deprived to project their angst at others... The truth is that if he were standing in front of you, he wouldn't have the balls to have said any of it... which is truly pathetic...I get this all the time in my  live chatroom... Those unable to achieve an erection are particularly tiresome ....

 

I try to look at Internet Haters like this... It is to your credit that such people single you out... I know its frustrating... but it reflects well on your (and rebecca & JC) capacity to not only make a valid point, but defend it... If not, he would have never felt the need to resort to such tactics...


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Posts: 7580
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
 Rich took the words out of

 Rich took the words out of my mouth.

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.