Phil Plait - Don't Be A Dick

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Phil Plait - Don't Be A Dick

Just came across this good video with Phil Plait aka the bad astronomer.

http://vimeo.com/13704095

Phil Plait - Don't Be A Dick from JREF on Vimeo.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
And many of us have

And many of us have anecdotes of that type of non-confrontational interaction FAILING MISERABLY, while seeing great success by openly challenging those same individuals.

Also, if the message of 'inclusiveness' is to be followed then even the harshest, meanest, most obnoxious fellow ideologues must be given the freedom to pursue their respective individual efforts.

I love Phil. I read the blog.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not able to see the

I'm not able to see the video now so can someone please give me a summary?

I love the way he debunked the crazy Moon hoax idiots.  He has a very informative website too.  He also totally debunked that moron Richard Hoagland.

Plaitt HAS to be an atheist or at least an agnostic.  That's his nature.

Click here to find out why Christianity is the biggest fairy tale ever created!! www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm www.JesusNEVERexisted.com

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
The most amazing thing about

The most amazing thing about the whole speech was when he said "How do you explain to someone who is not thinking clearly that they are not thinking clearly?" I realized that now and I'm through trying to convince people when they hold irrational thoughts. I can present the evidence to them and they can figure it out on their own, but there is no point in trying to reason with someone in an unreasonable mind set.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Teach a man to fish and

"Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime. Teach a man to reason and he'll Think for a lifetime."

Damn I wish I wrote that....

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:"Teach a

Rich Woods wrote:

"Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime. Teach a man to reason and he'll Think for a lifetime."

Give a man fire and he'll stay warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:And many of

darth_josh wrote:

And many of us have anecdotes of that type of non-confrontational interaction FAILING MISERABLY, while seeing great success by openly challenging those same individuals.

Also, if the message of 'inclusiveness' is to be followed then even the harshest, meanest, most obnoxious fellow ideologues must be given the freedom to pursue their respective individual efforts.

I love Phil. I read the blog.

Ever heard the phrase "you attract more flies with honey than you do with shit"?

I suppose it depends on what you focus on as 'evidence', but I've yet to hear of activists becoming successful by using the stick more often than the carrot.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Rich

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Rich Woods wrote:

Give a man fire and he'll stay warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Kapkao wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Rich Woods wrote:

Both of you can scratch my ass.... Smiling

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Kapkao

Rich Woods wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Rich Woods wrote:

Both of you can scratch my ass.... Smiling

Nay, I'm not here to give you a finger-banging. That's what the swinger's clubs are for.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Cpt_pineapple

Kapkao wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Rich Woods wrote:

P1: Nothing is better than eternal happiness.

P2: A ham sandwich is certainly better than nothing.

Now complete the syllogism.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
P3: Life's a bitch, and then

P3: Life's a bitch, and then you marry one

P4: Unless you're gay and American.