Atheism IS theism

froodley
User is offlineOffline
Atheism IS theism

To me, atheism/theism is the purvue of the childish.  It's just a weaksauce, childish claim that you can't prove.  Learn to dance the Dao, you fricking brat, or   If you want equally strong arguments on both sides, I'll go there all day.  I think everyone on this forum needs to get laid and/or try shrooms (but no hard drugs, you intellectually-lazy mofos).

Tadgh
atheist
Tadgh's picture
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote:Perhaps he

darth_josh wrote:
Perhaps he felt sleighted because we (Tadgh and I) were talking about him rather than directly to him.

Is he really gone? There were something like 194 posts when I chimed in, and I really didn't want to have to read them all, so I went straight to 'snarky' mode. What I did read made me think the whole thing was rather pointless.

darth, I'm usually not so adept at ignoring trolls, but I'm working on it. Thanks for the support.

jimmy.williamson
Superfan
jimmy.williamson's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tadgh wrote:darth_josh

Tadgh wrote:

darth_josh wrote:
Perhaps he felt sleighted because we (Tadgh and I) were talking about him rather than directly to him.

Is he really gone? There were something like 194 posts when I chimed in, and I really didn't want to have to read them all, so I went straight to 'snarky' mode. What I did read made me think the whole thing was rather pointless.

darth, I'm usually not so adept at ignoring trolls, but I'm working on it. Thanks for the support.

I think your high school comment did it. LOL He was on the edge and you pushed him, how do you feel?

Oh and save your time it was pointless!!!!

Throughout human history as our species has faced the frighten terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are and where we are going; it has been the authority (the political, the religious, and the educational authorities) who have attempted to comfort us. By giving us order, rules, and regulation. Informing or forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question these authorities. THINK FOR YOURSELF…

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
jimmy.williamson wrote:Tadgh

jimmy.williamson wrote:

Tadgh wrote:

darth_josh wrote:

I think your high school comment did it. LOL He was on the edge and you pushed him, how do you feel?

Oh and save your time it was pointless!!!!

He'll bounce back and post here again - bashers usually do.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
He'll be back. He's probably

He'll be back. He's probably taking his hair dyeing test in cosmetology today so he's pretty busy. Gah, I gotta stop being such a butthole but sometimes I just can't help it.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

rebecca.williamson wrote:

He'll be back. He's probably taking his hair dyeing test in cosmetology today so he's pretty busy. Gah, I gotta stop being such a butthole but sometimes I just can't help it.

If it was part of Mortuary Science he'd at least have a secure job and make decent money

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'd like to add no

I'd like to add no disrespect towards anyone in the cosmetology field cuz trust me I've done it. I was just refering to what he said about him being in school or something. He tried to say something about talking intelect I think but this whole thread has been a bunch of nonsense. Of course on froodlys behalf.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

Tadgh
atheist
Tadgh's picture
User is offlineOffline
rebecca.williamson

Nothing like a good butthole to brighten my day. Smiling

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Sapient wrote:

jimmy.williamson wrote:
What will our take on drugs be? Legal ones used in a strictly supervised setting of course. "wink wink"

You mean like the way Michael Jackson died?

Well, I kinda had Elvis or Curt Cobain in mind but yah, MJ works as well.

So would you mind if we all got wasted in stickcam some time?

The only functional issue that I see is that atheistextremeist lives on the other side of the world. So we probably have to do this on a Sunday morning. But let's not pretend that we have to go to church or something.

Attention Gene and the other drunks... have you seen this?

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/20982#comment-311597

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
froodley wrote:Materialists

froodley wrote:

Materialists will never understand poetry, and poets will never abide by the critique of their method.

I at least respected your stubbornness in redefining a word to suit your belief, but the stuff you just wrote drops that respect significantly.  I'm not sure how you could say something like that and be capable of observation and introspection.

Although, since your main defense seems to be claiming that you know everything already I guess I shouldn't expect much.  Sad

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gah! Thanks a lot Froodly.

Gah! Thanks a lot Froodly. Now my saturday is shot to hell!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly

jcgadfly wrote:

If it was part of Mortuary Science he'd at least have a secure job and make decent money

That and he would never have to worry about finding a date on Friday night either...

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:None of us

Brian37 wrote:

None of us here want people arrested merely for believing things we find absurd.

Hey now, speak for yourself!

I say we should have "agnostics" arrested and strung up by the ears until they decide what they believe.

Sapient wrote:
It's an epistemological position, but it says nothing about your belief.

I like this word use, but I would suggest one possible kind of agnostic that does say something about belief:  Huxleyan agnostic.

It seems the word meaning drifted since Huxley coined it, or people didn't understand what he was saying (and I didn't either, until I read some of his comments on the subject, and I'm still not sure I do- and it looks that it may have been an evolving term even in his own usage- shame we can't ask him now).

In reading some assorted statements from Huxley, he seemed to be using the term as a positive and certain rejection of gnosis ("gnosis" not as knowledge in the epistemological sense, but as a sensation as used in revelation, like a psychic connection with a deity, the "deep knowing", or that tingly feeling of certainty from faith) as a source of knowledge, which yields almost strictly scientific naturalism as belief.

So, it seems it wasn't uncertainty about "God", but an absolute rejection of all claims to evidence of this deity.  In rejecting all but scientific evidence, it could mean none other than implicit atheism.

So, an 'agnostic' by the original coining (perhaps, *if* I am right), must be an atheist unless in possession of certain and objective evidence of a god's existence.  In fact, by what Huxley seemed to have meant, even a positive atheist *must* be an agnostic because he or she rejects gnosis.

I might have to draw a diagram some time.

Anyway, if we were surrounded by Huxleyan agnostics of that kind, I wouldn't half mind it.