A Formal Introduction and Statement of Personal Principles

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
A Formal Introduction and Statement of Personal Principles

I am remiss for never having given a formal introduction of myself.

My name is David Richards, I am 25 years old, I live in the Greater Houston Area of Texas (a suburb to be precise), and I work at a small local computer repair shop as a PC tech; it's the family business.  Currently I'm working on a couple of Tech Certifications.

Several of you will be familiar with me from the Atheist / Theist Debate and Philosophy and Psychology forums, where I have given my two cents on a few threads.  I suppose it is best if I nail my colors to the mast right away, for those of you who might have had difficulty grasping where I come from.  I was raised a Charismatic Evangelical Fundamentalist Protestant but later grew to reject many of the theological attitudes expressed by that version of Christianity.  I converted to Eastern Orthodox Christianity about four years ago (officially baptized and chrismated, or 'confirmed') and have studied ancient philosophy and Christianity for about seven years.

I prefer not to discuss any sort of general, vague notion of theism but, in debate, to put forth my beliefs as an Orthodox Christian, even if I do not explicitly state them as such.  Thus, many of my thoughts have been shaped around various philosophies but I always try to measure these against my life as an Orthodox Christian.  I do not believe it does any good to discuss theism-in-general, as there is no neutral concept of God to be had, upon which all theists can agree.  Among just Christians there are vastly different ways in which God is conceived, so I believe the argument will never get off the ground for atheists until they can provide an internal critique of MY view.  I attempt to do this with atheism as I see that much of it flows from naive empiricism, Enlightenment or post-Enlightenment assumptions about reason, and almost dogmatic naturalism that is self-refuting.  Another important point to keep in mind is that science is essentially a method and as such can be compatible with several different philosophical assumptions.  By itself it proves nothing, but we must interpret raw data and raw facts according to some paradigm.  Therefore I try to avoid discussions around science unless it pertains to the philosophy of science itself.

I want to stress that both theism and atheism have their simplistic adherents and their sophisticated adherents.  I do not assume that any simplistic explanation is good enough to present a cogent case for my side, and I strive to present a sophisticated explanation of my beliefs.  I expect the same of my interlocutors, which is why, when I question assumptions, I really need formal arguments to back up assertions and not mere burden-shifting and question-begging.  I am always willing to have an open discussion, but tend to become annoyed with psychoanalysis or mantra-spouting.  (Flying Spaghetti Monster being just one example.)  I believe rational atheists can, and should, do better than this.  That is all for me; this is more of a statement of principles, and I hope I haven't worn out my welcome.

IC XC

David

Robby_C
Robby_C's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where is the ad hominem in

Where is the ad hominem in his posts?

Ad hominem is the attack on a person's character, or a judgement about the person themselves, Brian has done none of that.

He's actually gone out of the way to ensure he doesn't attack you in this way.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi again, David.

I want to spend a bit of time going through the points of our earlier discussion after coffee but having thumbed through the thread above I started wondering what you actually believed in. At present there's a claim of adherence to the beliefs of churches you feel are closer to the true doctrine. But at the core, what do you believe in? Creation, the fall of man, a long period of sin, jesus' ministry, death on cross for our sakes, rebirth and the turning loose of the holy spirit into the world to carry the message and so on? Where would you differ? I feel you have an understanding of our general no-god position but you are still in the shadow and seem to want to contend the key points three steps to the right of your faith.

Personally, I am ok with this, and I can understand why you might prefer to do things this way. I'm sure there are 1 or 2 central elements of your position, though to me they seem to rest on fulcrum points of comprehension and interpretation. I imagine that with these definitive issues under your belt, you are then free to embrace broader and more unprovable elements of doctrine?

P.S. You are a very unusual 25-year-old IT technician.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm sorry that you perceive

I'm sorry that you perceive my words as an "insult". They are not insults, but if you want to believe they are insults, I can't stop you.

Here are a couple of famous people you know who have a different attitude towards insults.

Sigmund Freud wrote:

The first human who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization.

Here's a pesky SOB who just happened to have something to do with the founding of our country:

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.

- Letter to Francis Adrian Van der Kemp, 30 July, 1816

and

Thomas Jefferson wrote:

The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. 

- Letter to John Adams, 11 April 1823

My point in quoting Jefferson was not to make the claim that he was an atheist. He wasn't.

My point in quoting both Freud and Jefferson was to get you beyond your insecurities. I want you to be, at least with me, focussed not on my choice of words or my blasphemy, but focussed on the arguments that I am making.

Others here have the patience to meander down the yellow-brick road. I don't have that patience. I will flat out admit to being the so-called 'bad cop' on this board, but I am not a bad guy.

All joking aside, I do want you here personally because I find the verbal boxing stimulating, so do yourself a favour and treat us all as individuals here, because we really are.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:Brian37

drichards85 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Who is name calling. Not me. If you are going to waste my time and yours falsely accusing me of things I am not doing this is not going to go anywhere.

[...]

You could be the nicest person in the world, since I don't know you, nor have I ever met you, I cant judge YOU, the person.

[...]

You are confusing honesty with hate because it frightens you that you might be wrong.

[...]

Do not expect me to pretend to be something I am not to placate your own insecurities.

[...]

You are certainly welcome to stay, but please, don't take anything personally.

[...]

I am sorry that offends you, but the only thing that really should offend you is your own credulity.

[...]

You are full of shit. How you make the leap to "I hate all religious  people" is pathetic and stupid.

[...]

Now, can we move on, or you just going to be a whiny crybaby?

[...]

I don't know where you got a degree at, but if you do have one, I would advise you to hire a lawyer and sue that institution for selling you lies.

[...]

Said the hypocrite who just named dropped scientists from history.

[...]

You want your god to be real so bad you cant see the absurdity of the claim itself.

[...]

PLEASE, for the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, stop taking what I am saying personally.

An ad hominem, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: 'to the man'), is an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.  The ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy.

Ad hominem abusive

Ad hominem abusive usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponent in order to invalidate their argument, but can also involve pointing out factual but ostensible character flaws or actions which are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and even true negative facts about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions.

Examples:

• "You can't believe Jack when he says the proposed policy would help the economy. He doesn't even have a job."
  • "Candidate Jane's proposal about zoning is ridiculous. She was caught cheating on her taxes in 2003."

- Wikipedia

Ok, and even if you want to make that case, all be it falsely, we can call it "ad homins" if you wish.

There is a problem with that attitude though. It assumes that I am doing it to hurt you and that I have no valid reason to say what I am saying.

EXAMPLE:

There is no difference between these to statements of fact conveying the same message.

1. "Santa is not real"

2. "Santa is a bullshit claim"

They would be "ad homins" if they were naked assertions made out of ignorance.

Focusing on my word choice doesn't further your claim. So if you want to falsely pretend you are taking the moral high ground by "I am not going to lower myself to your standards", again. I cant stop you from falsely believing those things.

So be the "bigger man" if you wish, but please stop this sideshow when the real issue is your claim that their is a magical super brain with magical super powers.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE:

Claimant; "Ouija boards work".

Skeptic, "Bullshit, people merely invented them and like believing that they work".

Having a bullshit  belief doesn't make the person stupid, it merely makes them human. You might not say, "Brian it is bullshit that you don't believe". If you actually did put it in those words, I wouldn't falsely shout stupid things like "YOU HATE ME" or "STOP CALLING ME NAMES"

My next question to you would be ok "WHY do you think it is bullshit that I don't believe"?

The only difference between you and me is that I believe in one less god than you do. When you understand why you reject all other deity claims besides yours, you will understand why I reject your claim as well.

You reject claims of Allah. I do too. The only difference between you and I in expressing our rejection of that claim is our choice of words. I do not fear words. I fear humans who don't want me kicking the tires. The same way you and I don't like Muslims blowing things up when they hear things they don't like.

Please be mature about this. If you can't handle me calling your claims bullshit you might as well stop responding to my posts. Do not torture yourself, but don't decide for me what I get to say on a message board you don't own or run. If you want to appeal to the admins and owner of the site to set rules regulating how we  interact with each other, you can and please feel free to do so. My guess is that you will be pointed to the "Kill em with Kindness" section which is the library setting of this board. You are not in the library section of this board.

I also have had this argument with atheists as well. My advise to anyone who is not comfortable with something to not partake in it. What you cant do is control other people. You can only control yourself.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look, if this doesn't

Look, if this doesn't convince you to drop the fallacious "name calling" argument I don't know what will.

If you want to equate me to Hitler, for example, because I don't believe in a god, or equate me to Stalin or Po Pot, I don't care. It wouldn't hurt my feelings. My objective isn't to stop you from making that claim(not you personally, just that countless others in the past have) I have NEVER, nor will I ever say, "DON'T SAY THAT" I will, and have always responded with "OK, why do you say that?" Then I respond with my reasoning as to why that is a bullshit "fallacy of equivocation".

When humans allow mere words to boil them to the point of anger violence is quick to follow. If humans do the right thing and control themselves without dictating to others, words only have the power to present information. YOU are allowing the word "bullshit" to control you.  Once you get beyond that, you will see that I piss and fart and do stupid things from time to time just like every other human.

The issue over words is a "comfort" issue and everyone has different levels of comfort in how and who and when they exchange ideas. . The only thing I can advise you to do is not respond to my posts if you don't like my choice of words. Just like if I were in a church and wanted to stay there IN THAT CONTEXT, my behavior would adapt to the situation if I wanted to stay there.

In this context this thread "bullshit"  is nothing more than a verbal boxing match. I am not out to get you, but I most certainly am out to thrash your claims about. A claim that cannot withstand blasphemy is not a claim worth holding. I am simply unabashed about my approach.

It is OK for you to say whatever you want to me as well(but we are only talking about me) others here have different ways of interaction, and that is fine too. Stopping at threats of violence of course, that is something no one should resort to.

SO, can you please stop focusing on my words and lets get on with the meat of your claim? PUTTY PWEASE?

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote: I

drichards85 wrote:

I understand that you believe that what constitutes evidence is the gathering of prior data (what's "prior" data? "Prior" to what? How can one know what counts as valid data unless they already have a belief in place as to what constitutes evidence?), then you build a model and plug it into a system that can be replicated, falsified, independently verified, etc.  So that's what you take to be evidence.  But where is your evidence for belief that this is evidence or even that this is the ONLY type of evidence?  On what basis do you rule out other models?  By appeals to your own?  That would be question-begging.  When you say that "There is only one good reason to hold a position. EVIDENCE." -- did you gather prior data, build a model and plug it into a system that was replicatable, falsifiable, independently verifiable, and so forth?  If you did, can you explain how it works that your belief about what constitutes evidence can be proven by the very standards it sets up as criteria for evidence and yet this is not circular?

IC XC

David

Let me try a shot at explaining this.  We all use evidence in our daily lives.  We all rely on evidence, we all rely on replicated, falsifiable, independently verifiable evidence every day.  And it is this every day experience that proves the necessity for RFIV evidence.

Examples:

1. Buying a car - new or used.  Shall I take the salesman's word for it?  "This car was only driven by a little old lady who did some good highway miles when visiting her grandkids."  Or should I research on the internet, look up the vin number for priors, talk to my friends, check with Consumer Reports and generally compare evidence on the reliability and condition of this particular car?  Same for any major purchase and for many minor purchases.

2. Ever been to a seance?  Played with a ouija board?  I have.  What happened?  Lots of laughing, telling of ghost stories, fake shivers - I was young and I played along.  Real shivers?  No.  Real predictions?  No.  Real spirits?  No.  I realize the seances I went to were not anywhere as sophisticated as the ones Harry Houdini busted.  But there was no evidence - no RFIV evidence of spirits at any of the parties I went to.

3. How about relationships?  "Oh, I love you.  You are the most wonderful person in the world.  We'll be together forever."  But then it doesn't last, you go from being most wonderful, to "all right in a sort of limited way for an off night", to "what a jerk/bitch".  So you learn to examine the evidence of your relationship - and wait for evidence of steadfastness.  Replicatable - it is 25 years later and I am still the most wonderful person in the world according to my husband.  Falsifiable - he helps me, he contributes around the house, he has never once been needlessly cruel or unkind.  Independently verifiable - all of my friends are jealous of our relationship.  Maybe you don't have the experience of a bad relationship, but you almost certainly will.  I have only met one couple who never had any other relationship than the one they have been in for over 60 years.

4. Businesses you frequent.  Replicatable - every time you walk in the floor is clean, the lights bright, the goods or services you need available.  Falsifiable - not once has anyone been anything other than pleasant and helpful.  Independently verifiable - all your friends and relatives and neighbors go there as well as they have the same experiences you do.

It is these kinds of experiences that show us that RFIV evidence has worth.  Every day.  Every place you go, every person you interact with.  Even if the evidence is negative - "Joe Blow in engineering?  What a dick.  You know what he did to his system today?  Took me 2 hours to straighten it out."  "Yeah, last week he....."  Hey, I've been doing IT support for 20+ years, I know what is said about the users.  I've even said it myself a time or two.

Some of us get to the point that RFIV evidence is the only kind we'll accept.  I don't trust any car salesman any further than I could spit him.  I have had enough bad relationships that it was over 10 years before I finally had enough RFIV evidence to began trusting my current husband.  Advertisements?  Hah, to laugh.  No one believes those things.  I might think - hm, that product might solve this problem.  But then I go research it, I don't just buy it on the strength of the marketing department's say so.  If it is inexpensive, I might try it out.  But I still don't take the marketing department's say so, I test it at home.  Replicatable, falsifiable, independently verified - what else can you rely on?

God/s/dess' word, a theist might say.  And I don't have a speck of RFIV evidence that god/s/dess' word means any thing but what the person who believes in it wants it to mean.  I can't make that blind leap of faith - even when I was trying to belong to a church it just didn't happen for me.  If I am going to believe in any god/s/dess, I require RFIV evidence.  Otherwise, it is just someone's imaginary friend.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Robby, are you serious?  I

Robby, are you serious?  I lifted direct quotes from Brian.  He call me a whiny crybaby, a hypocrite, and said I'm full of shit.  If none of that constitutes an attack, then I will start to use insults in my responses regularly and see how you like them.

At any rate, I will no longer engage Brian until he has learned to lay aside the charged rhetoric for actual engagement of my points directly and doesn't misrepresent them or construct strawmen.  At this point it seems he would rather get the last word in and constantly appeal to mockery (another logical fallacy) than actually respond to what I in fact write.

IC XC

David

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj,You describe your

cj,

You describe your position but you do not give me any reasons why I should endorse it.  The question is whether your belief in evidentialism has been (or can be) subjected to the same rigorous standards you would apply in other areas.  It is actually impossible to provide evidence for evidentialism, which means that the position is incoherent.  Furthermore, as I have pointed out numerous times in this thread people must select for what counts as evidence before they can gather evidence in the first place, and where is the evidence for what they say counts as evidence?  There is none.  Thus the whole belief rests on a standard that is not meet.  This is a very straightforward argument and up to this point no one has interacted with it directly or shown how my logic is flawed.  By your own standards where the evidence for your belief?  Just saying "It works" begs the question.

IC XC

David

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist, a lengthy

Atheistextremist, a lengthy discussion of the theological differences between what I believe and, say, a Roman Catholic or even your typical Evangelical Fundamentalist would need to go in-depth on historical and doctrinal minutiae as well as the concepts which underpin certain terminology.  Even the doctrine of the Holy Trinity is not conceptually the same in the East as it in the West.  I adhere to traditional Christian doctrine, so if there is some finer point you would like me to discuss I can do that.  But it has to be in the context of history, language, philosophy, and so forth.

When you say "you [have an] understanding of our general no-god position but you are still in the shadow and seem to want to contend the key points three steps to the right of your faith," what exactly do you mean?  Could you clarify?

You are right, I think, that there are a couple of definitive issues which allow me to embrace (and feel justified in embracing) a broad number of unprovable claims.  These could be said to relate to metaphysics, epistemology, and perhaps psychology and ontology.  The higher unprovable claims (for example that such-and-so saint did such-and-so miracle) simply follow from the prior commitments and worldview.

I apologize if you feel like I've been dodging your points, it hasn't been my intent, but some of these ideas take time to articulate or to digest and are not the "knowledge on the cheap" sort of approach which seems to be favored by many theists.  I don't think someone can just pick up a C.S. Lewis book (though I'm not putting him down, I like the guy) and presto, all the issues have been dealt with.  When I can carve out the time to elaborate I definitely want to give a go-around, as it is right now though, computers call.

IC XC

David

P.S. What is unusual about me?  That I am 25-years-old, an IT technician, or both, or something else?

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:cj,You

drichards85 wrote:

cj,

You describe your position but you do not give me any reasons why I should endorse it.  The question is whether your belief in evidentialism has been (or can be) subjected to the same rigorous standards you would apply in other areas.  It is actually impossible to provide evidence for evidentialism, which means that the position is incoherent.  Furthermore, as I have pointed out numerous times in this thread people must select for what counts as evidence before they can gather evidence in the first place, and where is the evidence for what they say counts as evidence?  There is none.  Thus the whole belief rests on a standard that is not meet.  This is a very straightforward argument and up to this point no one has interacted with it directly or shown how my logic is flawed.  By your own standards where the evidence for your belief?  Just saying "It works" begs the question.

IC XC

David

You can't subject standards of truth (metaphysical position) to themselves, regardless of position.  In this sense, all positions question beg.  (Just think, how can you prove that reality is actually coherent?  You can't.)  The difference for me comes with the pragmatic value of a position, and whether or not it serves as an accurate model of reality. 

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist,Precisely. 

v4ultingbassist,

Precisely.  The reason this is a major problem for evidentialists however is that their position is that a belief is only justified if evidence has been presented for that belief.  Their premise is not supported by any evidence whatsoever (unless they want to re-define evidence to include their belief, but that still begs the question) so it's special pleading, not to mention the fact that really they only consider a certain type of evidence to be genuine and there is no evidence for that selection either and no reason is given for why I should embrace what they call good evidence and reject what they (without any argument) reject.  I am more than happy to say that my axioms are unprovable but that they have more explanatory power, and that is a claim I am willing to defend here when I have more time, say on the weekend.  In fact, I believe that at least some of my axioms must remain unproven through reason if my system is even true or coherent.  I believe that if all my axioms could be proven to be true, then they would be false so that the truth of my position depends on having some beliefs that are unprovable.  This is a fine, coherent position for me to hold (I believe) but the evidentialist not only begs the question, his very premise refutes itself because it fails to live up to its own criteria.

IC XC

David

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
drichards85

drichards85 wrote:

Precisely.  The reason this is a major problem for evidentialists however is that their position is that a belief is only justified if evidence has been presented for that belief. 

Incorrect.  It is not just random picking and choosing of evidence.  For the scientific method, reality is the evidence.  Theories are then tested on specific aspects of reality, using observations and data.  If they work as a predictor for the behavior of reality, then they are considered an appropriate model for that specific area of inquiry.  You seem to think that we ignore inconsistencies or errors in our models; we do not.  We work to modify or redefine the model to be more accurate.  If you are in fact educated on institutionalized religion then you should recognize that a lot of the religions don't do this.  Some do, but take a long time to adapt the changes (example evolution with the Roman Catholic Church).  Because I have found science more useful and accurate when describing reality (religious texts are notoriously bad at this in terms of geology, evolution, astronomy etc), I have decided to assume all reality is describable by physical systems until proven wrong.  You should also realize that if you with to reject 'evidentialism' you will have nothing to argue on that is a direct reflection of reality.  All you are left with is logic arguments with no reference in reality.  The strongest argument will be logically sound and have physical evidence.

I am curious to know what the other unprovable claims you deem necessary are.  I have two: Reality is coherent, and is describable by physical systems.  The former is necessary, the latter based on pragmatsim and what I wrote above (essentially an extrapolation of the trend of science overturning religious dogma through the scientific method).

EDIT:  Respond whenever, no need to rush.

TruthMatters
TruthMatters's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheists have no rational

Atheists have no rational answers.   They behave like a pack of rabid hyenas in a mindless frenzy.  They are loaded with hatred.

Let's see how long they tolerate getting their butts kicked on the facts.

A man who recognizes no morality above himself, no ultimate accountability for his life and no moral significance of human life above insects or rodents must never be trusted with power. Stalin, Lenin, Mao, Castro, Kim Jung, Pol Pot and over 100 million dead in the 20th century alone all confirm the obvious. I wouldn't trust an Atheist to feed my dog.

TruthMatters
TruthMatters's picture
User is offlineOffline
 "The strongest argument

"The strongest argument will be logically sound and have physical evidence."

Show us the physical evidence that 1+1 =2?

Show us the physical evidence that the statment " There is no God" is true?

Show us the physical evidence that non-physical reality does not exist?

Defining physical reality to be all that exists is not an argument. It is an unprovable, untested speculation at best.

A man who recognizes no morality above himself, no ultimate accountability for his life and no moral significance of human life above insects or rodents must never be trusted with power. Stalin, Lenin, Mao, Castro, Kim Jung, Pol Pot and over 100 million dead in the 20th century alone all confirm the obvious. I wouldn't trust an Atheist to feed my dog.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
TruthMatters wrote: "The

TruthMatters wrote:

How many apples do you have when you put one next to another?

Quote:

I've never claimed there is no god.

Quote:

Show me the evidence that anything doesn't exist.  I've already admitted to an assumption of physicalism, not a declaration.

Quote:

Defining physical reality to be all that exists is not an argument. It is an unprovable, untested speculation at best.

The scientific method is the opposite of 'untested speculation.'  Religion is untested speculation that often refuses to acknowledge errors in its dogma.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:cj,You

drichards85 wrote:

cj,

IC XC

David

It is not begging the question.  My point was if one tries any other method other than gathering RFIV evidence, anyone quickly learns that they maybe should not have relied on intuition.  Or whatever. 

We have learned from childhood what evidence to gather - what happens when you put a stick in an ant hill.  When you stomp on it.  When the car runs over it.  When it rains.  When it freezes (though as a child, I didn't get a chance to run that experiment).  Every day of our lives we gather evidence until we have a feeling for the appropriate types of evidence to gather for a particular question or hypothesis.  You have a broken laptop in front of you.  Do you check the weather report to find out where and how to start fixing it?  Of course not.  You use RFVI evidence every day you fix or build yet another workstation.

How does a scientist know what evidence to gather?  S/he starts by being a graduate student and being mentored by an experienced scientist who has been gathering data in this particular field since they were graduate students.  Very often 10-20-30 years of experience.  This mentor knows this is the right kind of evidence to gather because they have run experiments to test hypothesis to create reports of their experiments that have been repeated by other scientists in other labs that are then published and reviewed by other peers yet again.  They make mistakes and learn from their mistakes.  They propose a theory for why something might work the way it works and then they either have it shot down or it gets accepted.  Experience.

Experience.  It is the only way to fly.  I want the pilot to have lots of hours in the air.  I want the mentors of this world - science, business, which ever field - to be experienced.  And it is experience from the time we are infants that has taught what evidence to gather.

You can go on about this is not a formal proof and I'll buy that.  But you can't fool me you roam around all day guessing what evidence you need to complete your tasks at work.  RFIV evidence gets the job done.  Woo doesn't.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist,I need to

v4ultingbassist,

I need to clarify.  First, I might not say that evidentialism is arbitrary (random picking and choosing) but it is impossible to gather what considers 'true' evidence until one has at least a rough idea of what constitutes evidence.  We could say that this problem is to methodology what the problem of the criterion is to the epistemology.  The problem of the criterion is this: suppose you are asked to sort good apples from bad.  Prior to this project one must have at least some idea of what counts as a good apple and what counts as a bad one, or they can never get started.  Furthermore, any attempt to define the criteria by which one knows 'good' from 'bad' will be self-referential.  If I say to you, "This apple is bad because it has bruises," it is because I assume (for whatever reason) that bruises are a indicative of bad apples, and I cannot justify that criterion on its own but now appeal to some other standard.  In the same way one must have some irreducible criterion by which they establish good evidence and bad evidence, or non-evidence, and this criterion cannot be justified by itself.  Now I have no problem with the thought that there are some irreducible axioms, but what I have problem with is any axiom that would be a 'special case,' such as in the case of evidentialism.  Evidentialism must first select for what counts as good evidence (which usually means to rule out religious experience - but why?) but the premise of evidentialism cannot be established by the methods of natural science, and it fails to meet its own criteria.  If some other criterion is appealed to in defense of evidentialism, then the premise of evidentialism is undermined; but if no other criterion is appealed to but this belief is simply held as a matter of course, it is special pleading.  I do not see how evidentialists can escape this conundrum.

When you say that "reality is the evidence," I fail to see how this helps at all, because many believe that reality is wider than the material universe.  One might define reality so as to rule out all phenomena which cannot be extracted from the methods of natural science and / or which fall outside the realm of natural phenomena, but on what basis does a person do so?  I understand well that the measure of reality for the naturalist is the natural order and very often naturalism relies on materialism, but simply to say that "reality is the evidence," when one must have to define the parameters of reality before they can select for what counts as genuien evidence simply assumes your own position.  This is circular.

As for the lack of re-definition among religious institutions, it is easy to cite examples of churches or religions that do this but keep in mind that this stubbornness is not unique to religious institutions but is found among all fields of inquiry where an old paradigm comes to be replaced by a new one.  This is not to say that these institutions were not seriously mistaken or tended to confuse points of dogma with natural science, but one would need to demonstrate a causal link between religious dogma per se and outmoded scientific theories.  And even if one proves that there is a necessary connection between the dogmas of a church and its outmoded scientific theories it would only prove it for that institution and not necessarily for religion in general; it would address one position on the spectrum but it would not serve to refute all positions on the spectrum.  To circle back, it is not a unique phenomena among religious institutions that there is some emotive or subjective investment in a belief system.  In fact, this occurs in the natural sciences all the time.  One is invested in a particular belief about the nature of science because of certain other beliefs to which they are committed.  What one is committed to, that which one invests in, is not an objective enterprise but rather subjective.  Some positions are just preferable to others for every person, and every person is different in terms of what he or she values.

For you and other naturalists (I take it you are a naturalist, if I am wrong please correct me) coherence is an important criterion.  As you note, this criterion is unprovable but is necessary for the truth (?) of a scientific thesis.  I take it you also value other scientific standards, such as parsimony and something's being independently verifiable and falsifiable.  If your belief could be shown to be philosophically inadequate to the task of fulfilling these criteria, you could either abandon it or go back to the drawing board to refine each of these criteria until your position was to be more consistent and coherent.  I hope to show in future posts that naturalism actually fails to meet its own criteria so it cannot be true, or at the very least is intellectually unattractive and should be undesirable to naturalists themselves.  As an aside the process of revision while operating under the same assumptions is existential proof of the fact that people are committed to and invested in certain beliefs and want to retain them for as long as possible before they are forced to transition to another set of beliefs.

[Natural] Science is certainly useful to describe [natural] reality, but it is only by wittling down the concept of reality to that which contains only spacetime (dubious at best given the discoveries of quantum mechanics) where serious problems arise.  For if one just takes natural science to be the standard by which reality is interpreted, and defines reality in such a way as to include the natural order, then the system is perfectly self-consistent yet perfectly tautological.  I have caught a lot of flack for my position that the existence of God is unprovable through reason and the methods of natural science, and that His being unprovable is actually necessary to the truth of His existence (if He were provable, He would not be the Christian God to say the least) and necessary for belief in God to be coherent.  Because I simply do not define reality in such a way that rules out supposed non-natural phenomena I can recognize that the methods which yield knowledge of one aspect of reality (nature) are inappropriate when applied to another aspect of reality (supernature).  This is fully consistent with my belief that God is outside the natural order; if something is outside the natural order then natural tools will not suffice to prove its existence.  This is matter of presuppositions and other aspects of reality which naturalism, materialism, physicalism, empiricism, rationalism, and evidentialism do not, in my view, explain coherently, consistently, or cogently.

The major thing I reject about evidentialism is that it selects, without warrant, for only one type of evidence based on the assumption that there is nothing outside the natural order, and thus it reduces to a rather naive empiricism.  It is not that I don't think claims which can in principle be verified or falsified by natural science should not be subjected to evidential considerations, but that I believe that there are many aspects of existence which cannot be reduced to simple evidence and that faith in God is just one (albeit the most important, from the religious perspective) of the axioms which cannot be reduced to basic rational proofs.  I allow natural science to test things within nature, to collect empirical data and to interpret these according to some paradigm.  I defer to scientists when it comes to biology and quantum theory.  I study science because I enjoy it.  I study the philosophy of science.  I simply have philosophical problems with naturalism because if the naturalist is consistent then his position hinders scientific progress since he must reject realism about material objects, realism about other minds, and realism about logical and moral facts.

Some of my philosophical reasons for rejecting naturalism can be found in Michael Rea's World Without Design: The Ontological Consequences of Naturalism.  If you are into philosophy and don't mind reading works which will challenge your worldview, then I recommend any atheist or naturalist to take up this book.

IC XC

David

TruthMatters
TruthMatters's picture
User is offlineOffline
 No, you are in fact

No, you are in fact wrong.

Science or physical matter cannot possibly prove mathematics.  Science assumes mathematics is true, but cannot prove mathematics.

If you are an Atheist, you most certainly do claim there is no God.

Defining physical reality as "all that exists" is most definately a speculative, unproven statement.  Your attempt to shift the subject and build a straw man argumnet on "scientific method" is just dishonest.

"Religion is untested speculation that often refuses to acknowledge errors in its dogma."

That's correct of humanity in general.  Let's see how honest your Naturalist bretheren are at acknowledging the limits of their Naturalism / reductionism /Philosophical materialism  they masquerade as 'science'.   Better yet, let's see how honestly your bretheren deal with the moral and philosophical implications of Atheist madness.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
TruthMatters,You are quite

TruthMatters,

You are quite right that mathematical constructs are not derivable from the methods of natural science.  This is because concepts are not derivable from the methods of natural science and methematical axioms are formulated independent of experience, yet seem to conform to our experience.  One must wonder how it is possible to formulate axioms independent of experience that conform to experience.  Though I disagree with much of his philosophy, I wonder if anyone here has read Plato's Meno.

IC XC

David

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
TruthMatters wrote: No, you

TruthMatters wrote:

Science or physical matter cannot possibly prove mathematics.  Science assumes mathematics is true, but cannot prove mathematics.

Defining physical reality as "all that exists" is most definately a speculative, unproven statement.  Your attempt to shift the subject and build a straw man argumnet on "scientific method" is just dishonest.

"Religion is untested speculation that often refuses to acknowledge errors in its dogma."

That's correct of humanity in general.  Let's see how honest your Naturalist bretheren are at acknowledging the limits of their Naturalism / reductionism /Philosophical materialism  they masquerade as 'science'.   Better yet, let's see how honestly your bretheren deal with the moral and philosophical implications of Atheist madness.

Hi.

I'll bet you think "agnostic" is some sort of middle ground between theism and atheism. Am I right?

I like your sig but it more accurately describes Christians. All you have to do is ask for forgiveness and promise that you'll try hard and not commit the infraction that merited the prayer (until it becomes advantageous again) and you're clean again. Talk about no moral compass.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
drichards85

drichards85 wrote:

v4ultingbassist,

I need to clarify.  First, I might not say that evidentialism is arbitrary (random picking and choosing) but it is impossible to gather what considers 'true' evidence until one has at least a rough idea of what constitutes evidence.  We could say that this problem is to methodology what the problem of the criterion is to the epistemology.  The problem of the criterion is this: suppose you are asked to sort good apples from bad.  Prior to this project one must have at least some idea of what counts as a good apple and what counts as a bad one, or they can never get started.  Furthermore, any attempt to define the criteria by which one knows 'good' from 'bad' will be self-referential.  If I say to you, "This apple is bad because it has bruises," it is because I assume (for whatever reason) that bruises are a indicative of bad apples, and I cannot justify that criterion on its own but now appeal to some other standard.  In the same way one must have some irreducible criterion by which they establish good evidence and bad evidence, or non-evidence, and this criterion cannot be justified by itself.  Now I have no problem with the thought that there are some irreducible axioms, but what I have problem with is any axiom that would be a 'special case,' such as in the case of evidentialism.  Evidentialism must first select for what counts as good evidence (which usually means to rule out religious experience - but why?) but the premise of evidentialism cannot be established by the methods of natural science, and it fails to meet its own criteria.  If some other criterion is appealed to in defense of evidentialism, then the premise of evidentialism is undermined; but if no other criterion is appealed to but this belief is simply held as a matter of course, it is special pleading.  I do not see how evidentialists can escape this conundrum.

Like I said before, no position can escape the conundrum of self-justification.  And for naturalism/physicalism, religious experience is not ruled out.  I assume you know that we posit that experiences can be false in terms of reality that others can know.  As in, taking mushrooms and hallucinating is a similar event to out-of-body experiences.  The difference is that you posit the existence of a non-physical reality while I posit that chemicals are doing something funky to your mind.  The evidence, the experience, is not discounted, only explained differently.

Quote:

When you say that "reality is the evidence," I fail to see how this helps at all, because many believe that reality is wider than the material universe.  One might define reality so as to rule out all phenomena which cannot be extracted from the methods of natural science and / or which fall outside the realm of natural phenomena, but on what basis does a person do so?  I understand well that the measure of reality for the naturalist is the natural order and very often naturalism relies on materialism, but simply to say that "reality is the evidence," when one must have to define the parameters of reality before they can select for what counts as genuien evidence simply assumes your own position.  This is circular.

Again, the difference lies in the status of externally real or internally.  I don't deny the existence of ghosts.  I deny the existence of ghosts having any reality external to our minds.  All non-physical things I ascribe as real only in conceptual terms; I don't agree in arguments that they exist in the universe and interact with other objects external to the mind.

Quote:

As for the lack of re-definition among religious institutions, it is easy to cite examples of churches or religions that do this but keep in mind that this stubbornness is not unique to religious institutions but is found among all fields of inquiry where an old paradigm comes to be replaced by a new one.  This is not to say that these institutions were not seriously mistaken or tended to confuse points of dogma with natural science, but one would need to demonstrate a causal link between religious dogma per se and outmoded scientific theories.  And even if one proves that there is a necessary connection between the dogmas of a church and its outmoded scientific theories it would only prove it for that institution and not necessarily for religion in general; it would address one position on the spectrum but it would not serve to refute all positions on the spectrum.  To circle back, it is not a unique phenomena among religious institutions that there is some emotive or subjective investment in a belief system.  In fact, this occurs in the natural sciences all the time.  One is invested in a particular belief about the nature of science because of certain other beliefs to which they are committed.  What one is committed to, that which one invests in, is not an objective enterprise but rather subjective.  Some positions are just preferable to others for every person, and every person is different in terms of what he or she values.

I understand that religious people aren't the only ones who are stubborn.  I entirely agree that I will work to fit an idea into my worldview before I reject my worldview as false.  The issue I have usually revolves around political/social ramifications.  Obviously the vast majority of people don't seriously examine their beliefs and views.  Consequently, they can pass on views that are detrimental without realizing it.  Religion is good at that.  We teach our kids the religion we grew up with because it's what we were taught as true and it became a part of our lives.  Certain things get passed on because people don't take the time to understand what they claim to believe.  This allows things like homophobia, racism, and sexism to continue unchecked.  Even worse, there can be a anti-intellectual push back like there is here in the states with fundamentalism, where people blatantly deny things we discovered/learned were true centuries ago.

Quote:

For you and other naturalists (I take it you are a naturalist, if I am wrong please correct me) coherence is an important criterion.  As you note, this criterion is unprovable but is necessary for the truth (?) of a scientific thesis.  I take it you also value other scientific standards, such as parsimony and something's being independently verifiable and falsifiable.  If your belief could be shown to be philosophically inadequate to the task of fulfilling these criteria, you could either abandon it or go back to the drawing board to refine each of these criteria until your position was to be more consistent and coherent.  I hope to show in future posts that naturalism actually fails to meet its own criteria so it cannot be true, or at the very least is intellectually unattractive and should be undesirable to naturalists themselves.  As an aside the process of revision while operating under the same assumptions is existential proof of the fact that people are committed to and invested in certain beliefs and want to retain them for as long as possible before they are forced to transition to another set of beliefs.

Physicalist, I guess.  See my position on philosophy below; I don't really care if it is 'philosophically adequate.' 

You can change views without being forced.  It happened to me from catholicism to atheism, gradually and painlessly.

Quote:

[Natural] Science is certainly useful to describe [natural] reality, but it is only by wittling down the concept of reality to that which contains only spacetime (dubious at best given the discoveries of quantum mechanics) where serious problems arise.  For if one just takes natural science to be the standard by which reality is interpreted, and defines reality in such a way as to include the natural order, then the system is perfectly self-consistent yet perfectly tautological.  I have caught a lot of flack for my position that the existence of God is unprovable through reason and the methods of natural science, and that His being unprovable is actually necessary to the truth of His existence (if He were provable, He would not be the Christian God to say the least) and necessary for belief in God to be coherent.  Because I simply do not define reality in such a way that rules out supposed non-natural phenomena I can recognize that the methods which yield knowledge of one aspect of reality (nature) are inappropriate when applied to another aspect of reality (supernature).  This is fully consistent with my belief that God is outside the natural order; if something is outside the natural order then natural tools will not suffice to prove its existence.  This is matter of presuppositions and other aspects of reality which naturalism, materialism, physicalism, empiricism, rationalism, and evidentialism do not, in my view, explain coherently, consistently, or cogently.

Again, I arrived at naturalism; I didn't start with it.  Humans went from thinking gods supplied what we now know is weather.  Humans used to think that god made us, and now (some of us) know that we evolved from lower life forms.  It is this trend that leads me to conclude that the things we don't understand are more likely to be physical than they are to be tied to some supernatural existence that leads to people to believe (stubbornly, as you pointed out) in things that can be harmful to others.  I'd rather promote critical thinking and introspection of beliefs than atheism itself.

Quote:

The major thing I reject about evidentialism is that it selects, without warrant, for only one type of evidence based on the assumption that there is nothing outside the natural order, and thus it reduces to a rather naive empiricism.  It is not that I don't think claims which can in principle be verified or falsified by natural science should not be subjected to evidential considerations, but that I believe that there are many aspects of existence which cannot be reduced to simple evidence and that faith in God is just one (albeit the most important, from the religious perspective) of the axioms which cannot be reduced to basic rational proofs.  I allow natural science to test things within nature, to collect empirical data and to interpret these according to some paradigm.  I defer to scientists when it comes to biology and quantum theory.  I study science because I enjoy it.  I study the philosophy of science.  I simply have philosophical problems with naturalism because if the naturalist is consistent then his position hinders scientific progress since he must reject realism about material objects, realism about other minds, and realism about logical and moral facts.

Again, it doesn't dismiss evidence, it explains it differently.  There is no such thing as 'types' of evidence, in this regard.  There is evidence, and conclusions drawn from it.  You conclude that an out-of-body experience is evidence of a non-physical reality.  I conclude that there is something weird going on in your brain.  We use the same evidence, and arrive at different conclusions.

Quote:

Some of my philosophical reasons for rejecting naturalism can be found in Michael Rea's World Without Design: The Ontological Consequences of Naturalism.  If you are into philosophy and don't mind reading works which will challenge your worldview, then I recommend any atheist or naturalist to take up this book.

IC XC

David

My issue with philosophy is that it is entirely useless for my life.  Hardly anyone I know in person has bothered with it, and this reflects the general population.  I don't need a sound philosophical argument to convince someone of something.  Pragmatically, philosophy is useless because only an extreme minority of people know anything about it.  This is the realistic side of me.  I know what has impacted me and my life.  I have not had any religious experiences.  I have not felt god.  I question people who claim to, and ask for evidence.  Obviously it's hard for me to accept someone's word, because, as I said, our minds are capable of providing us with experiences that external reality cannot.

I feel like the biggest distinction here lies in the mind-body problem.  Obviously I'm in the mind=brain camp.  My reason?  Our understanding of neurology and psychology continually grows and continually challenges the notion that are minds have some existence independent of our brain.

truthmatters wrote:

Mathematics doesn't need proving.  It is rules built on axioms.  Axioms that I argue are fundamental to nature and discovered, not created, by humans.

Atheist means I don't believe in god.  There is a difference. 

Quote:

TruthMatters,

You are quite right that mathematical constructs are not derivable from the methods of natural science.  This is because concepts are not derivable from the methods of natural science and methematical axioms are formulated independent of experience, yet seem to conform to our experience.  One must wonder how it is possible to formulate axioms independent of experience that conform to experience.  Though I disagree with much of his philosophy, I wonder if anyone here has read Plato's Meno.

IC XC

David

If your premise is that the mind is natural, then it is entirely possible for mathematics, and consequently concepts, to be derived from nature itself.  I entirely disagree that mathematical axioms are formulated independent of experience.  At the basis, use of non-contradiction can be observed in lower life forms, in that they can distinguish between two different things.  It is so basic that it is instinctual, so we know it because farther back along the evolutionary line a life form learned it.

TruthMatters
TruthMatters's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is one clunky

This is one clunky website. 

Skyzersdad
Skyzersdad's picture
User is offlineOffline

TruthMatters wrote:

Excuse me.  Even animals can count.  Newton developed calculus from his observations of the motions of the planets.  Science does NOT assume mathematics is "true" (whatever that is) but rather scientists use mathematics as a tool - where it is appropriate.  I do not have to assume my hammer is true in order to use it to drive a nail.  I don't use it to paint a wall.

TruthMatters wrote:

Atheist simply means 'does not believe in god'  I am a fairly 'hard' atheist, but if confronted with any real evidence of a god, I would be willing to accept it.

TruthMatters wrote:

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, still exists.  Conversely, if I have to believe in something to "make it so", that something does not exist.

TruthMatters wrote:

Morals, or ethics are not derived from god.  They are derived from our need to function in a society that has consistent, fair rules.  Ethics have been demonstrated in dogs, ravens, monkeys and tiny children - none of which can have received their direction from religion. 

I haven't got a clue what you are about with "Atheist Madness."  An atheist may kill an animal if he needs to eat, but it takes a theist to kill one in order to examine its entrails to figure out what god wants.  And then burn (waste) the carcass as a sacrifice.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:I affirm

drichards85 wrote:

I affirm most of what you say about Christian belief, though I would need some clarification on it.  What do you take to be a "metaphysical penalty"?  I wouldn't put it in quite those terms.  And God as "omnimax"?  Discussions of Christian theology are interesting, but I would rather present my beliefs rather than have them assumed.  At this point however I believe it may be necessary to do some other argumentative legwork before I present such beliefs since, if I present those first, they will automatically be rejected and there won't be much room left for discussion in the minds of atheists whose minds are shut off from the very possibility of my beliefs being true.  Atheism in itself does not require such beliefs as naturalism, empiricism, rationalism, evidentialism, and so forth, but most atheism does bolster its claims by appeal to such philosophies and methods of inquiry.  I believe that all of these philosophies and methods of inquiry may be shown to be self-refuting or incoherent or simply question-begging and that is one pillar of my argument.

By metaphysical penalty I mean consequences that cannot be avoided.  In Christianity you can always be forgiven, right?

Omnimax is shorthand for omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent and omnibenevolant.

So do you disagree with Brian's original summation of your beliefs, or just his language?

About the conversation with bassist:

So, what is your evidence, empirical or not, that supports the idea that there is something outside the realm of naturalism?  If it is it a purely logical argument, what is it about the reality that sparked the notion that the only solution was to rely on a non-naturalistic world view?

I personally, I've ever seen or heard of anything that would make me reject the obvious usefulness of practical rationality in favor of a non-naturalist philosophy...well, obviously, or I wouldn't be a rationalist!  You've mentioned a couple times now that 'naive empiricism' is insufficient, so I just want to know what you think it is insufficient for and what sparked that process.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:  The difference for

Quote:
  The difference for me comes with the pragmatic value of a position, and whether or not it serves as an accurate model of reality.

Johny Carson, "I the great Karnack, will tell you what is in this envelope"

Ed McMann "Hot air?"

Johny, "CUT, Damn it Ed, we are behind schedual we cant afford another retake, just go with it".

(END SARCASM)

And pret'ell, please wow us with your earth shattering "pragmatic" universal evidence. Let me guess, your bible just happens to be the model of reality, right?

You mean the same book that treats the sun and moon as separate sources of light? That kind of "pragmatic" value of "reality"?

The same book that magically pops out adult humans out of dirt?

The same book that magically pops out adult plants without the aid of photosynthesis?

The same book that magical makes a baby without a second set of DNA?

The same book that has human flesh surviving rigor mortis?

I think the only "pragmatic" thing you could do for us if you want us at your level is to sell us some of what you are smoking, it must be some good stuff.

I would hardly call a 2,000 year old book of tribal myth an "accurate model of reality". I would simply call it a book of myth. THAT is reality.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
TruthMatters wrote: "The

TruthMatters wrote:

Quote:

Kindergarten teacher, "Ok little Johny, how many oranges do you have in your lunchbox?

Little Johny, "Um.....um......let me look. .......ONE......Here....see"

Teacher, "Ok Sally, do you have an orange in your lunchbox?"

Sally, "Um....um....let me see.......YES.....I have one"

Teacher, "Ok class, how many oranges do we have?"

Class, "TWO"

Teacher, "Very good, now after you eat it will be nap time"

..........................................................................................

Quote:
how us the physical evidence that the statment " There is no God" is true?

In answer to statement two, you can count to two cant you?

We know what a human brain is, and it is physical material. Even a fly has a brain and it also has physical material. Your alleged god has no material at all? So you cheer for the the idea that a fly has more brain material than your alleged god?

The other part of this bad logic which could apply to any claim, not just god/s is "Prove that my claim isn't true"

I could make up any absurd claim and by your standard, it has to be true because you cant prove it isn't true.

FOLLOW THE PATTERN IN THIS EXAMPLE"

"Prove that I am not a billionair"

"Prove that I didn't have sex with Anjolina Jolie"

"Prove that I am not Elvis"(you didn't see him die in person, so how do you know he is really dead?)"

Now.......lets apply this to a god concept.

"Prove to me that Allah isn't real"

"Prove to me that Vishnu isn't real"

"Prove to me that Apollo isn't real"

.........................................................................................

Quote:

See part two and rinse and repeat before reading the following:

Certainly there are a lot of unknowns in the universe. But our species has developed scientific method as a quality control tool to insure the most accurate data to lead us to REAL answers.

This is akin to "you cant see air, but you know it exists"

At one time we didn't know what "air" was but we knew that we needed it to keep us alive. But we know better now in that scientists call "air" our "atmosphere" which is a mixture of different types of atoms(which the naked eye cant see, but an electron microscope can. Laypersons often mistakenly call it Oxygen which our "air" is not solely composed of.

We can't even see a quark, but through scientific formulas and calculations we KNOW they exist, just like we cant see atoms but we know they exist.

A "super natural" being, is not observed, it is manufactured and marketed. Much like a business will sell you something you don't need(Pet Rock) and offer you something "free" to entice you to buy it, which is silly because the "free " thing is incorporated into the cost of the thing you are buying.

I can imagine Mickey Mouse and Harry Potter too, but they are not real. Real mice are not that shape, and they don't talk like humans. And little boys don't fly around on brooms.

BUT, we do have lots of dead god/s from the past that no one longer believes in which is evidence, not evidence of the super natural, but humanities ability to make gods up and falsely believe in them. I simply do not see you doing anything differently than any other human of any religion, past or present. Your pet god is not special to us.

FYI, your second and third "Show us" statements make the same burden of proof mistake of "prove it doesn't exist".

I don't have to prove something doesn't exist when it isn't worth considering in the first place.

You don't have to think about Thor being real or disprove a claim of Thor do you? NO.

Quote:

If you have a better tool than scientific method, pony up with it. I will hand you the Nobel Prize myself if you can do that.

But I hardly think old books written by unscientific people are worthy of consideration anymore because of what we do know now.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Your god is a fiction"

Quote:
Your god is a fiction" is a bald assertion.

Us Hitler worshipers say, "Naked assertion" come on, when in Rome, right?

I did give you an argument. Here it goes again. And I will use your motif if you like.

1. Thoughts require material.

2. God is immaterial

3. God cannot exist because thoughts require material.

Now go get me a sample of God's brain since we have soooooooo much evidence for it. I am sure we will find as much evidence for your god's brain as we will for Allah's brain or Thor's brain.

Myth is fiction. BOTH are are words that are a glorified replacement for the word "LIE".

Considering WHEN polythiests and your monotheism started, without the aid of modern science, and the tribal gang club mentality all cultures had back then, a "pretty lie" can sell well to the masses if the marketeers and powers that be are good at selling the lie.

FICTION AND MYTH describe your claim quite nicely, just like it does for Thor and Apollo. The people who believed in those gods believed in them as fervently as you do in yours now. The gods of Abraham exist as claims, not because the claims are true, but because humans still want to believe they are true, and because they have SOME pretty stories in them that cheer lead for the club to defeat the villain, people like and buy this motif.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline

TruthMatters wrote:

lol

Funny how math works every time it is tried. Thanks to science and mathematics, those "assumptions" have created a computer connected to a network which allows you to communicate with people in other countries. Try praying to Jesus and see if he can send the message.

Now if one day someone discovered an instance in which 1+1=3 then scientists would certainly study that result and try to determine why. It is possible that someday our entire understanding of addition will need to be modified (unlikely especially as far as natural numbers are concerned). That is the beauty of science. When evidence appears that does not fit in the currently accepted models scientists get a hard on and start studying it and arguing over it until they can explain it. More than once, science has overturned or modified theories that were accepted for a long time. As far as basic math is concerned 1+1 = 2 every time it has ever been tried in the history of mankind. That is a pretty good track record. 

Religion on the other hand is forced to reject or ignore evidence that goes against its doctrines because it tends to be all or nothing. The bible is either the word of god and is therefore 100% true or it is not and therefore is a collection of fairy tales written by men with a questionable basis in truth. Of course, some modern christians have taken to saying "Well that part isn't literal" when we point out evidence that a particular story in the bible isn't possible with our current understanding of physics. Or they say "Well god can do anything" which brings up questions of why would god break the same rules he created? And why hasn't god broken them since? So go ahead and believe in your god and send a prayer to him that tomorrow the sun will rise in the west. I will put my money on the sun rising in the east because of nifty little things called science, evidence and repeatable results. And 1+1 will always equal 2, even when the government does the math and tries to claim it doesn't.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
 You sure have been eating

You sure have been eating your wheaties this week Brian.

I believe in the invisible little pixies that are going to go make my coffee in the morning and bring it to my room. So don't you dare make the bald naked assertion that my belief is false. STOP CALLING ME NAMES. I mean it Brian, you better stop. 

And when you point out that I have to walk to the coffee maker on my own two feet as evidence that my belief is false, well everyone knows that evidence is bullshit. People can't even agree that is evidence. Science is just a bunch of people making random assumptions. We don't know that 1+1=2. You can't prove my pixies don't exist. You can't prove evidence is evidence. Nothing is provable, therefore I will ignore all evidence and believe what I want. We can't really tell what is real anyway so we actually don't even know that we exist because you can't prove it. So since I don't exist and the pixies don't exist we both actually don't exist together so they will bring me my coffee tomorrow. Ha. Disprove that.  

I think that about sums up the entire thread.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:I need to

drichards85 wrote:

I need to clarify.  First, I might not say that evidentialism is arbitrary (random picking and choosing) but it is impossible to gather what considers 'true' evidence until one has at least a rough idea of what constitutes evidence.  We could say that this problem is to methodology what the problem of the criterion is to the epistemology.  The problem of the criterion is this: suppose you are asked to sort good apples from bad.  Prior to this project one must have at least some idea of what counts as a good apple and what counts as a bad one, or they can never get started.  Furthermore, any attempt to define the criteria by which one knows 'good' from 'bad' will be self-referential.  If I say to you, "This apple is bad because it has bruises," it is because I assume (for whatever reason) that bruises are a indicative of bad apples, and I cannot justify that criterion on its own but now appeal to some other standard.

Yeah, you are "assuming" because it is perfectly reproducible that an apple with a bruise is "bad" or more correctly, one bruised apple is going to have a similar distasteful texture as all the other bruised apples. Is it necessary for us to test every bruised apple in the history of the world to draw a conclusion? No. If you have a large enough sample size you can draw a conclusion which is far stronger than an "assumption"

drichards85 wrote:

In the same way one must have some irreducible criterion by which they establish good evidence and bad evidence, or non-evidence, and this criterion cannot be justified by itself.  Now I have no problem with the thought that there are some irreducible axioms, but what I have problem with is any axiom that would be a 'special case,' such as in the case of evidentialism.  Evidentialism must first select for what counts as good evidence (which usually means to rule out religious experience - but why?) but the premise of evidentialism cannot be established by the methods of natural science, and it fails to meet its own criteria.  If some other criterion is appealed to in defense of evidentialism, then the premise of evidentialism is undermined; but if no other criterion is appealed to but this belief is simply held as a matter of course, it is special pleading.  I do not see how evidentialists can escape this conundrum.

Good evidence is evidence that leads you to a conclusion that is reproducible and can be tested. Back to the apples a scientist might find a bruised "apple" that isn't "bad" then discovers it is actually a plum put there by mistake. Well obviously that is bad evidence since the scientist is testing the hypothesis that bruised apples are bad so the scientist discards the plum. In other words, scientists collect all available evidence to test their hypothesis. The only way it is "bad" evidence is if it is irrelevant to testing said hypothesis.  

drichards85 wrote:

When you get down to it you can't prove anything. Now you are talking a philosophical debate that quickly becomes pointless. As I told my philosophy professor if we don't exist then we are not really arguing about whether or not we exist so why are we wasting our time? If you wan't to believe you are living in the Matrix be my guest, but when you jump out the window that nasty little thing called gravity will make it a painful experience.

drichards85 wrote:

As an aside the process of revision while operating under the same assumptions is existential proof of the fact that people are committed to and invested in certain beliefs and want to retain them for as long as possible before they are forced to transition to another set of beliefs.

Except when evidence is offered that does not fit into our world view. Even the most stubborn scientists will admit the world is round. Can't say the same for some theists. What is more committed to your beliefs then claiming evidence is weak because we can't prove that we exist?

drichards85 wrote:

I don't know any scientist who claims to be able to describe everything. Science has a long way to go and many interesting areas to examine. The Christian god might not be provable but could certainly supply some evidence. For example, if god did the stopping the sun in the sky trick again, that would be some solid evidence. So far all the evidence points away from a god, especially the Christian god. Even a little evidence would help gods cause. Funny how there have not been any miracles since the invention of the video camera. (At least none that have not been proven fake.) God has been on vacation for a long time. You would think if he really loves us and wants us to believe in him so much he is willing to condemn us to hell for not believing he could offer us SOME physical proof. He did after all create the world. Ooooh, he could create another planet in our solar system. If he creates an exact replica of earth in our solar system in six days I'm sold. He did it once, why not again?

drichards85 wrote:

Not all scientists embrace naturalism as you describe it. Can you describe a particular piece of evidence that science ignores? If science is selectively picking certain types of evidence surely you can describe at least one item of evidence that is ignored. And what is a "moral" fact?

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist, I will

v4ultingbassist, 

I will respond to your post later when I can sit down and flesh out my thoughts; I thought I would begin by asking you various questions just so I get clarification on where you fall along the naturalist spectrum.  But first I need to address Brian's argument.

Brian, first, how do you find "thought" and how do you define "material"?  Why do you reject the belief of many philosophers and theologians throughout history that thought is immaterial, and what is your argument for the premise that thought requires material?  Could you elaborate on this, please?

Christian doctrine is that God is immaterial, yes, but what about God do you believe Christians teach is immaterial?

There seems to be a leap in your logic.  Perhaps you should include another premise (which is acceptable under Boolean logic) that the only concepts which exist are those which have thoughts.  Then it would follow that if thoughts require material, if God is immaterial then He is thoughtless, and if a concept is thoughtless then it does not exist; God (the Christian says) is immaterial, therefore He has no thoughts, and therefore He does not exist.  Would this round out your argument?

Or perhaps you refer to the concept that God is Pure Thought.  If this is the case, then I reject the belief that God is Pure Thought.  I would say that God has thoughts but that He is irreducible to Pure Thought.  There is more to God than just "thought," however it is construed.  God also acts.  In fact that Orthodox Christian is adamant that one cannot ever know the thoughts of God but can only come to know God [if He exists] through His actions.

So to recap, I need to know why you reject the belief that thoughts are in fact immaterial and that they require material, what it is you believe that Christians mean when they confess that God is immaterial, and why you believe that something which is does not have thoughts does not exist?

An ancillary point, but one which I believe may help clarify: something can be material yet not have any thoughts.  Most of nature is like this.  Do those material things which do not have thoughts exist?  If they do exist then it is possible for a thing not to have thoughts and yet exist; thus, God could (in theory) have no thoughts and yet He could exist.  He could conceivably be immaterial and thoughtless, just as the rock or tree is material and thoughtless, and yet exist.  Not that I believe this but it weakens your argument.

If you choose to believe that something can be thoughtless yet exist, because it is material, then really the measure of whether or not something exists is if it is material and therefore thoughts only exist under the condition that an object is material.  But wait, your argument at least implies that God does not exist because He does not have thoughts, or else I do not see how we come to the conclusion that because God is immaterial, and thought requires material, therefore God does not exist.  It is a non-sequitur unless we suppose that only those concepts which can have thoughts exist and those which are thoughtless (such as anything immaterial, by your standards) do not exist.  Therefore if thoughts exist only under the condition that an object is material but something can be material without thought, and those objects which are without thought do not exist, then only those material objects which have thoughts exist.  Since it is impossible to prove that other minds exist, then your position must embrace skepticism about the reality of other minds, also known as solipsism.

This is a double blow since it would force us to conclude not only that we may never know if other minds exist, but we cannot know if material objects exist.  We operate under the assumption that they do, we collect and test data, but if the interpretation yielded by our minds is always suspect and can never be any more than a subjective attribution of my individual mind on an object, but never properties which are intrinsic to that object, then the project of natural science is futile.  Given what Kuhn wrote about paradigms and how they are "incommensurable," how raw data is never interpreted in a thought-vacuum but always attended by received beliefs which do not rest on evidence themselves, it would seem impossible for science ever really to progress.  Kuhn destroyed that notion since he demonstrated that progress is not linear but revolutionary.

All around I find most of your premises questionable and I wondered if you could elaborate on why you reject the doctrine that thoughts are immaterial and why you believe that if something has no thoughts then it does not exist.

IC XC

David

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
What I mean is that most of our position

drichards85 wrote:

When you say "you [have an] understanding of our general no-god position but you are still in the shadow and seem to want to contend the key points three steps to the right of your faith," what exactly do you mean?  Could you clarify?

P.S. What is unusual about me?  That I am 25-years-old, an IT technician, or both, or something else?

Could be loosely covered by the generalization that as rationalists we accept what can be proven by repeatable experiment. You must have a detailed doctrine that incorporates a whole range of rationally odd things from Noah's Ark to the rebirth of christ. But with specifics of your deeper position unknown I was wondering about things you believe that might be questionable using different world views. You may have trouble accepting non self refuting reason but believe in what we would think of as physics-defying magic or you might embrace apparent mythology as part of your adherence to traditional theology. It's gentle adhom yes, but as C.S. Lewis wrote: "A belief in invisible cats cannot perhaps be logically disproved, but it tells us a good deal about those who hold it."

In any case, I'm enjoying the discussion and am trying to narrow it down to a single point. Perhaps we could consider the central element of your rationalistic doubt - that reason itself and that the establishment of concepts are not subject to self refutation - or that reason cannot be tested using empirical means. We can go off sideways but most of what I say you'll pigeonhole as flawed by its adherence to non self refuting reason, so this seems to me the best point to discuss. I'm interested in what you think is the source of this reason - mental/physical or spiritual. And is your proof for this based on the fact you believe the opposing position to be illogical but in the absence of direct proof - direct proof you feel would undermine your case if it existed?

P.S. I edit an IT magazine and have a lot of friends in supply, sales and integration. Most of the young propellerheads are more interested in what they are doing Friday night and the latest bits and gizmos than contesting philosophical points like this one.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85

drichards85 wrote:

v4ultingbassist, 

I will respond to your post later when I can sit down and flesh out my thoughts; I thought I would begin by asking you various questions just so I get clarification on where you fall along the naturalist spectrum.  But first I need to address Brian's argument.

Brian, first, how do you find "thought" and how do you define "material"?  Why do you reject the belief of many philosophers and theologians throughout history that thought is immaterial, and what is your argument for the premise that thought requires material?  Could you elaborate on this, please?

Christian doctrine is that God is immaterial, yes, but what about God do you believe Christians teach is immaterial?

There seems to be a leap in your logic.  Perhaps you should include another premise (which is acceptable under Boolean logic) that the only concepts which exist are those which have thoughts.  Then it would follow that if thoughts require material, if God is immaterial then He is thoughtless, and if a concept is thoughtless then it does not exist; God (the Christian says) is immaterial, therefore He has no thoughts, and therefore He does not exist.  Would this round out your argument?

Or perhaps you refer to the concept that God is Pure Thought.  If this is the case, then I reject the belief that God is Pure Thought.  I would say that God has thoughts but that He is irreducible to Pure Thought.  There is more to God than just "thought," however it is construed.  God also acts.  In fact that Orthodox Christian is adamant that one cannot ever know the thoughts of God but can only come to know God [if He exists] through His actions.

So to recap, I need to know why you reject the belief that thoughts are in fact immaterial and that they require material, what it is you believe that Christians mean when they confess that God is immaterial, and why you believe that something which is does not have thoughts does not exist?

An ancillary point, but one which I believe may help clarify: something can be material yet not have any thoughts.  Most of nature is like this.  Do those material things which do not have thoughts exist?  If they do exist then it is possible for a thing not to have thoughts and yet exist; thus, God could (in theory) have no thoughts and yet He could exist.  He could conceivably be immaterial and thoughtless, just as the rock or tree is material and thoughtless, and yet exist.  Not that I believe this but it weakens your argument.

If you choose to believe that something can be thoughtless yet exist, because it is material, then really the measure of whether or not something exists is if it is material and therefore thoughts only exist under the condition that an object is material.  But wait, your argument at least implies that God does not exist because He does not have thoughts, or else I do not see how we come to the conclusion that because God is immaterial, and thought requires material, therefore God does not exist.  It is a non-sequitur unless we suppose that only those concepts which can have thoughts exist and those which are thoughtless (such as anything immaterial, by your standards) do not exist.  Therefore if thoughts exist only under the condition that an object is material but something can be material without thought, and those objects which are without thought do not exist, then only those material objects which have thoughts exist.  Since it is impossible to prove that other minds exist, then your position must embrace skepticism about the reality of other minds, also known as solipsism.

This is a double blow since it would force us to conclude not only that we may never know if other minds exist, but we cannot know if material objects exist.  We operate under the assumption that they do, we collect and test data, but if the interpretation yielded by our minds is always suspect and can never be any more than a subjective attribution of my individual mind on an object, but never properties which are intrinsic to that object, then the project of natural science is futile.  Given what Kuhn wrote about paradigms and how they are "incommensurable," how raw data is never interpreted in a thought-vacuum but always attended by received beliefs which do not rest on evidence themselves, it would seem impossible for science ever really to progress.  Kuhn destroyed that notion since he demonstrated that progress is not linear but revolutionary.

All around I find most of your premises questionable and I wondered if you could elaborate on why you reject the doctrine that thoughts are immaterial and why you believe that if something has no thoughts then it does not exist.

IC XC

David

"Thoughts" are no more a thing than the number "1" is a thing. BOTH are merely words we use to describe the natural process we observe.

"thoughts"  is the word used describe the product of the act of  communication. 

"Love" is not a thing either. It is a word that we use to describe the REAL actions we observe.

Just like running is not a thing but a manifestation of a physical process.

And still, none of this has anything to do with the zombiegod yellow brick road you are attempting to distract me from.

Go find a 3 day old dead body and get it to magically reconstitute itself. Then get this replicated and falsified and independently verified. Good luck with that.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:why you believe that

Quote:
why you believe that if something has no thoughts then it does not exist.

Who the hell said that? Not me. Plenty of things that don't have thoughts exist. Water cant think. A tornado cant think. My shoes don't have the capability of thinking.

What I don't do, which you do, is give human like qualities to a fictional super hero and pretend it is real because it feels nice to have a super hero.

What I said is that there is no such thing as an invisible brain with magical super powers.

My cats poo in his litter box has more evidence for it than you do for your god. I never claimed my cat's poo could think or that it didn't exist because cat poo cant think.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist,I just

Atheistextremist,

I just wrote a few responses to you, all of which are now swallowed up in cyberspace.  Will write when I have time and am not so tired.  (Had to go to court today, that in itself was a drain.)

I like the latest bits and gizmos but I am not about the tech bling (best smartphone, best James Bond iWrist Watch, etc).  I suspect that the reasons I enjoy IT are the same reasons that drew me to, say, logic and analytic epistemology.  Also the mathematics and science of computers fascinate me and I enjoy the philosophy of mathematics and philosophy of science as well.  As for Friday nights, well, I have been out on Friday nights and those experiences led to more experiences... This may be the easiest thing in the world for you to believe, but I prefer to be by myself most of the time, and avoid the trouble, like many IT people. Smiling

Now when I have time I will address your other points in seriousness.  Good evening.

IC XC

David

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian, then can you please

Brian, then can you please just answer these questions so I can understand:

On what basis do you claim that thoughts require material?  Where is the evidence for this claim?

How does it follow then, that if God is immaterial, He does not exist?

I do not believe God is a super brain with magical powers, so for you to characterize it this way is a straw man.

IC XC

David

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:Brian,

drichards85 wrote:

Brian, then can you please just answer these questions so I can understand:

On what basis do you claim that thoughts require material?  Where is the evidence for this claim?

How does it follow then, that if God is immaterial, He does not exist?

I do not believe God is a super brain with magical powers, so for you to characterize it this way is a straw man.

IC XC

David

Show me one intance anywhere in human history(outside your book of myth) where a thought was not the emergent property of of a human brain.

I already told you what my evidence was. Human brains, there is no such thing as a magical super being with a "human like " invisible version of such. You merely like the idea of a super hero.

No you do not believe that God is a super brain. I agree that you truly believe that. so what?

The "poof" people buy in stage acts from magicians, people accept as not being real, but made up. It is real only in the sense it is an illusion. Some people still today, believe in "magic"

"poof" the earth was made. to ME is no different than the story in the Harry Portter book of a "human like" character, "poof" turning into a cat.

You merelly want to believe on is real when BOTH are fiction. You want to pretend your god is not different than Superman, I am telling you BOTH are made up and both are only "material" in the sense that they are REALLY, in real life, MADE UP. The only difference is that you have allowed your own emotions and credulity to swallow one fantastic claim and not another.

Superman was never sold as a fact. You god claim was, but neither are different. God is immaterial in the reality that their is no such thing. But god is material in that, just like people utter the word "superman", still doesn't make either real.

Ok? I can make up a god too. WATCH, I'll do it right now.

My Snarfwidgit did it. See, I can utter things too. Now that I have uttered "Snarfwidget", it is material.

Why don't you believe in my Snarfwidget?

I can also make fantastic claims about my "Snarfwidget"

My Snarfwidget created the universe. Because the universe is pretty, my Snarfwidget "poof" did it.

Of course you don't believe that anymore than you believe that Superman can fly.

Try understanding why you reject my "Snarfwidget" in this example then you will see why I reject your fantastic claims too.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
And again, I AM BEING

And again, I AM BEING SERIOUS in my ridicule, not to hateful, but to SHOW you how absurd the idea of a god is, any god, not just yours.

EVEN IN YOUR OWN BOOK it says "let us make them in our image" some versions, the writers have tried to avoid hide the polytheist past by changing the words to "let me make them in my image".

If we are in god's image(according to you) then it is not a stretch to assume by your model(FOR ARGUMENT'S SAKE ONLY) that this alleged being as qualities it shares with us.

I am saying it is the other way around, HUMANS assign human qualities to the world around them. There has never been a point in human history where humans have not done this. The first attempts at falsely filling in the gaps with gods were earthy. The volcano or animal was a god. Then humans went on to make their gods more human like, then they attempted to streamline their religion by making one god the absolute authority.

YOU merely like to believe that your god is not made up, nothing more. Your god is as real as the volcano god/s of the past and no different than making up Thor. If you can swallow "poof" logic, you might as well believe in Harry Potter or Superman.

Made up is made up. You merely think you are not making the mistake all other humans have made and continue to make. I am telling you you are no different or no more special than any other human, now or in the past.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian,Where is the evidence

Brian,

Where is the evidence that thoughts require material?

Can something exist without thoughts, per se?

How does it follow that if God is immaterial He does not exist?

When did I ever say that God thinks or that God is an invisible brain?

Is me having a personal investment in my belief relevant to the truth of that belief?

IC XC

David

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
About the conversation with

About the conversation with bassist:

So, what is your evidence, empirical or not, that supports the idea that there is something outside the realm of naturalism?  If it is it a purely logical argument, what is it about the reality that sparked the notion that the only solution was to rely on a non-naturalistic world view?

I personally, I've ever seen or heard of anything that would make me reject the obvious usefulness of practical rationality in favor of a non-naturalist philosophy...well, obviously, or I wouldn't be a rationalist!  You've mentioned a couple times now that 'naive empiricism' is insufficient, so I just want to know what you think it is insufficient for and what sparked that process.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad,Your comment to me

mellestad,

Your comment to me looks familiar; if you posted it before and I read it, I apologize for not responding at the time.  I may have intended to reply but become too busy and forgot.

First, we need to define terms.  What is naturalism?  I take it to be the supposition that there is nothing outside the natural order.  It may be coupled with materialism and / or physicalism, in which case mind reduces to matter, specifically the brain (as Brian wants to assert endlessly).  But it should be kept in mind that not all naturalism is materialist; some is idealist, some believe that mind is distinct from matter but is still part of nature.  Like supernaturalism, naturalism is a view which attempts to explain all existential phenomena in terms of nature, however it is construed.  Thus it takes as a basic source of evidence the discoveries, experiments, and methods of natural science, and it rejects religious experience as a source of evidence, usually by explaining religious experience purely in terms of nature.  Evidentialism then, upon which much naturalism rests, only refers to a specific type of evidence - the findings of natural science.  But there is nothing from natural science which proves the assumptions either of naturalism or supernaturalism.

There is no more evidence for the belief that nature is all there is, if we use the methods of natural science, then there is for the belief something can be or is outside of nature.  Thus while the atheist can comfortably say that his simply lacks belief in God, I do not think he can say the same about his positive convictions and bias toward natural science and against religious experience as a source of evidence.  Nah, he still has to defend his claims to naturalism, but naturalism cannot be defended by natural science since it is not a belief that can logically arrive at through studying nature but is a framework through which one interprets that data one has collected.

Empiricism is a theory of knowledge (epistemology - that is philosophy, NOT science!) which asserts that knowledge arises from evidence gathered from sense experience.  Though I believe that knowledge can and does arise from sense experience, I reject the assumption that all knowledge requires evidence of this sort.  Certainly, the very premise of empiricism - that knowledge is acquired through sense experience - is not a premise that was, or can be, acquired through sense experience.  Therefore, if empiricism is right, then it is wrong.  There are at least some beliefs which are held not on the evidential basis of sense experience but on some other basis (say, pure reason?) and if we are to reject any belief until it has been verified by sense experience, then we should reject empiricism on the basis that it has not yet been verified by sense experience.

IC XC

David

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote: Brian,

drichards85 wrote:

Brian,

Is me having a personal investment in my belief relevant to the truth of that belief?

IC XC

David

Reading in the Brain by Stanislas Dehaene a research neuroscientist.  I am currently reading the book (it is tough sledding for me way outside my usual expertise) and I am quoting from the chapter on The Dyslexic Brain, page 257.

Quote:

In reality, a direct one-to-one relation exists between each of our thoughts and the discharge patterns of given groups of neurons in the our brains - states of mind are states of brain matter.  It is impossible to affect the one without also stirring the other.  This does not mean that, by thinking hard, we can help our neurons to multiply or migrate!  What I mean is that the classic opposition between psychology and the brain sciences is unfounded.  Levels of organization in the cortex are so intricate that any psychological interference must produce repercussions in our brain circuits, all the way down to the cellular, synaptic, molecular, and even gene expression levels.  The sad fact that a given pathology is caused by microscopic neurobiological anomalies does not imply that psychological treatment cannot help . . . or vice versa.  Indeed, the links between the molecular and psychological levels are amazingly potent and direct.  Good examples can be found when lithium ions help fight depression, or when molecules of diacetylmorphine hydrochloride, also known as heroin, turn a normal human being into a craving maniac.

All emphasis is the author's. 

So any living creatures (including humans) are constrained to have neurons before they can have thoughts.  I think it is reasonable to say that the more collected neurons you have in one spot, ie brains, the more symbolic and coordinated those thoughts can be.  The book mentions experiments on the brain and brain development in rats, monkeys, and humans, so I think it is probably okay to extent the argument to any living creature including insects as they have neurons, too.  Plants don't have neurons, so we can exclude them.  Experiments included autopsies (rats, monkeys, humans), electrode implantation (monkeys, humans with epilepsy prior to surgery), and various fMRI and other noninvasive electromagnetic techniques in human experiments.

Of course things exist without thought.  eg, Rocks.  No neurons, no thoughts.

Personally, I don't agree that immateriality implies nonexistence.  Lack of interaction with the material implies nonexistence in my book.  Show me mountains moved, people decomposing in death returning to life, or some other obvious inexplicable physical miracle, and I'll believe god/s/dess interacts with the material world and therefore exists.

If god/s/dess doesn't have an invisible brain, do s/he/it/they have a visible one?  Where is it?  Does god/s/dess not think? 

Our personal investments always influence our opinions.  Yours, mine, Brian's.  Another book - Mistakes were made but not by me explores self justification - in politics, science, law enforcement, relationships and religion.  We want something to be true and so we pick and choose what facts to believe based on that desire.  We all do it.  The trick as I see it is to realize this is so and either consciously acknowledge your prejudices and go with them or to stick your head in the sand and yell, "not!"  I'm guessing Brian would prefer you acknowledge them.  I don't care one way or the other about what you do, but I think acknowledging them is probably healthier.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
drichards85

drichards85 wrote:

mellestad,

Your comment to me looks familiar; if you posted it before and I read it, I apologize for not responding at the time.  I may have intended to reply but become too busy and forgot.

First, we need to define terms.  What is naturalism?  I take it to be the supposition that there is nothing outside the natural order.  It may be coupled with materialism and / or physicalism, in which case mind reduces to matter, specifically the brain (as Brian wants to assert endlessly).  But it should be kept in mind that not all naturalism is materialist; some is idealist, some believe that mind is distinct from matter but is still part of nature.  Like supernaturalism, naturalism is a view which attempts to explain all existential phenomena in terms of nature, however it is construed.  Thus it takes as a basic source of evidence the discoveries, experiments, and methods of natural science, and it rejects religious experience as a source of evidence, usually by explaining religious experience purely in terms of nature.  Evidentialism then, upon which much naturalism rests, only refers to a specific type of evidence - the findings of natural science.  But there is nothing from natural science which proves the assumptions either of naturalism or supernaturalism.

There is no more evidence for the belief that nature is all there is, if we use the methods of natural science, then there is for the belief something can be or is outside of nature.  Thus while the atheist can comfortably say that his simply lacks belief in God, I do not think he can say the same about his positive convictions and bias toward natural science and against religious experience as a source of evidence.  Nah, he still has to defend his claims to naturalism, but naturalism cannot be defended by natural science since it is not a belief that can logically arrive at through studying nature but is a framework through which one interprets that data one has collected.

Empiricism is a theory of knowledge (epistemology - that is philosophy, NOT science!) which asserts that knowledge arises from evidence gathered from sense experience.  Though I believe that knowledge can and does arise from sense experience, I reject the assumption that all knowledge requires evidence of this sort.  Certainly, the very premise of empiricism - that knowledge is acquired through sense experience - is not a premise that was, or can be, acquired through sense experience.  Therefore, if empiricism is right, then it is wrong.  There are at least some beliefs which are held not on the evidential basis of sense experience but on some other basis (say, pure reason?) and if we are to reject any belief until it has been verified by sense experience, then we should reject empiricism on the basis that it has not yet been verified by sense experience.

IC XC

David

Was that a general commentary, or was that meant as an answer to my questions?

You obviously believe in something outside of naturalism/materialism.  We don't need to get cute with defining those because it isn't germane to the question, nor do we need to discuss empiricism unless one of us was using it in a novel form, which we are not.  I'm also not asking how you verify the root assumptions of either system.

I'm asking, what is it about reality that makes you think a non-naturalist/physicalist/materialist/yadda-yadda viewpoint is needed?  The last couple sentences almost made it sound like you think that you have some sort of intuitive knowledge of the supernatural that makes you reject naturalism, but I'm having to assume a lot about your position to get to that point.

I guess I have a hard time believing you woke up one day and decided that, since the basic assumption of naturalism cannot be verified then there must be a supernatural system instead.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
cj,Correlation does not

cj,

Correlation does not imply causation.  It may be the case that certain states of mind correspond states of brain matter, and even that states of brain matter are a necessary condition for states of mind, but where is the argument out states of mind are caused by states of brain matter?  If it can be shown that states of brain matter cause states of mind, then my belief and your belief are both caused by brain matter, so how do we determine whose belief is right and whose is wrong?  Or perhaps because all beliefs are caused by nature they are all equally right, or equally wrong, or can we know?  Is knowledge real or is it just a term we give to our own states of brain matter?  Solipsism looms large here.

I do not pretend that I have no personal investments.  My point is that to bring those up in debate does not effect whether or not my belief is true; if my belief is true then it is true despite why I believe it, and if it is false then it is false no matter how clever my arguments are.  Brian appears to delight in ad hominem, which is perhaps why every single response to me has contained at least one line about how I just do not want to admit that my God is made up.  As if my subconscious is scared of the truth of his and I just cannot bring myself to confess it.

I have to laugh at this obnoxious display of hubris and simply point out that I have never initiated a personal attack on someone here because they just disagreed; I have, however, kicked back when I felt that the attacks were full of vitriol and irrelevant to the point.  Someone can claim all day long that I have ulterior motives to believe, but I never denied a personal investment, I just pointed out that no person here is above such personal investments so if they do not effect the truth of your belief, they do not effect the truth of mine either.  Yes, I believe in God because my grandmother died when I was six - so what?  If I believe that racism is wrong because black people make good music and are good at athletics, is my belief that racism is wrong correct?  Are my reasons to believe racism is wrong correct?  Isn't it possible for someone to believe the right thing for the wrong reasons?  If that's the case then what the hell is the point in bringing up my supposed psychological reasons to believe?

I am not sure where you or anyone else got the idea that God has a brain, whether visible or invisible.  As Brian would say, "Who said God has an invisible brain?  Not me."

IC XC

David

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
mellestad,In the words of

mellestad,

In the words of Sherlock Holmes, "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true."  I believe that naturalism, together with classical foundationalism, empiricism, evidentialism, materialism, physicalism or any other views on which it relies can be eliminated as impossible beliefs since they fail to give an adequate account for the realism of other minds, the realism of material objects, moral realism, or realism in language for starters.  Though I do not believe that the existence of God can be demonstrated through reason, I believe that the philosophy of naturalism can be shown to be impossible and to lead to nihilism.  That is it in a nutshell.

IC XC

David

P.S. Note that this is not a proper argument, I have just expressed the reasons why I reject naturalism and not an argument for any of these theses.

EDIT: From one angle my belief is simply a rejection of naturalism; I do not need to give positive proof that there is something outside of nature so long as I can show that nature cannot be all there is.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85

drichards85 wrote:

Brian,

IC XC

David

BRAINS ARE THE EVIDENCE THAT THOUGHTS REQUIRE MATERIAL, NEURONS REQUIRE SOME SORT OF BRAIN.

I already answered no 2.

For the same reason Superman is immaterial. Making something up does not mean it exists. In the case of your god, god cannot logically exist because it has no physical location like a human brain, much less a neuron.

You don't have to say god is an invisible brain. But if god doesn't have one what the fuck would it think with?

Yes, you have invested so much time wanting to believe this crap you have fooled yourself into believing it. Rather than face that fact, because you have invested so much time, you would rather protect your ego and not face being wrong, than to actually test your claims to insure they were true.

You care about defending your god claim, not testing it. For the same reason Muslims blindly defend Allah. They are not interested in any quality control to insure what they believe is true, they, like you, are only interested in marketing their beliefs.

drichards85
Theist
drichards85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian,I am sorry, but if you

Brian,

I am sorry, but if you offered an argument to the effect that mind is reducible to matter then I missed it.

If brains are the proof that thought requires material, because neurons require some sort of brain, then what is the argument that mind is reducible to matter?

What is the argument that we think with only our physical brains?  What is the argument against the notion that the mind uses the brain to think?

How does the rest of what you write have anything to do with whether or not my belief is true?  Is it possible for someone to believe the right thing for the wrong reason?

IC XC

David

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85

drichards85 wrote:

mellestad,

In the words of Sherlock Holmes, "When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true."  I believe that naturalism, together with classical foundationalism, empiricism, evidentialism, materialism, physicalism or any other views on which it relies can be eliminated as impossible beliefs since they fail to give an adequate account for the realism of other minds, the realism of material objects, moral realism, or realism in language for starters.  Though I do not believe that the existence of God can be demonstrated through reason, I believe that the philosophy of naturalism can be shown to be impossible and to lead to nihilism.  That is it in a nutshell.

IC XC

David

P.S. Note that this is not a proper argument, I have just expressed the reasons why I reject naturalism and not an argument for any of these theses.

EDIT: From one angle my belief is simply a rejection of naturalism; I do not need to give positive proof that there is something outside of nature so long as I can show that nature cannot be all there is.

Except all you are really demonstrating is that the language in insufficient to describe everything. By proving that we cannot accurately communicate something does not lead to the conclusion that nature cannot be all there is. No one has suggested that nature is composed of all the things and only those things we can describe. Even if you could prove there is something supernatural it certainly does not follow that the something is god. Although the very essence of supernatural is questionable. Much of what we consider nature today was an some point considered supernatural. Our inability to explain x does not mean there must be a god. It simply means at this time we can't explain x.

Throughout the entire thread you have used attacks on Brian's argument structure and on naturalism but have offered zero evidence of your own beliefs. Specifically, you make the naked assertion that the existence of god cannot be demonstrated through reason. You have been repeatedly asked for any evidence that supports this assertion and instead have used sophistry (while accusing Brian of doing so) to talk about other issues. You attack the idea of evidence. At least two of us have pointed out that according to the biblical god supposedly interacted with the physical world before. So even if god is non-physical he is capable of affecting the physical world which would in turn leave evidence. 

So the core of the question that has become quite lost, why do you believe in god? What, if any, evidence do you have that suggests there is a god? Is it simply because we cannot prove our existence? That seems like a really big leap to me. I can't prove my existence, therefore there must be a god? Are you making that leap? You have written an awful lot but I still have no clue what you believe. I only know what you don't believe. 

I'm not looking for conclusive proof. I don't need you to actually show me god. Just a little something that would lead a reasonable person to suspect that god is a rational explanation.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:If brains

drichards85 wrote:

If brains are the proof that thought requires material, because neurons require some sort of brain, then what is the argument that mind is reducible to matter?

So can see it, touch it, smell it, taste it and study chemical changes in it. Sounds like matter to me. 

drichards85 wrote:

What is the argument that we think with only our physical brains?  What is the argument against the notion that the mind uses the brain to think?

When part of the brain stops working thoughts can be impaired. There is no evidence to support the idea that there is some kind of separate mind that uses the brain. The argument that there is would be equivalent to arguing that there are invisible puppet strings tied to my fingers that control their movements and my brain has no control over them.

Once again I ask, do you have any evidence that suggests there might be a separate mind that uses the brain? Or does your argument boil down to "Well you don't really understand how the brain works so there must be a god" A line of reasoning used for thousands of years to promote gods. It used to be rain that we couldn't explain. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
drichards85 wrote:Brian,I am

drichards85 wrote:

Brian,

I am sorry, but if you offered an argument to the effect that mind is reducible to matter then I missed it.

How does the rest of what you write have anything to do with whether or not my belief is true?  Is it possible for someone to believe the right thing for the wrong reason?

IC XC

David

More needless craptrap pseudo philosophy.

This is all you have to do to empirically prove to me that ANY kind of super natural being exists, BY ANY NAME.

1. Find credible data that has been establish and tested and proven. Not a history of mere tradition, but universal fact.

2. Construct a model you can plug this credible data into.

3. Set up tests that can be replicated and falsified.

4. Hand all of the above over to an independent source with no horse in the race and let them kick the tires around.

If they can use all that and come up with the same conclusions you have, then you have credible evidence.

Good luck with that. I will see you in church when you can do that.