Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Singularity is Near ?

What do you guys think about the "singularity"

just your opinions

Quote:
The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology is a 2005 update of Raymond Kurzweil's 1999 book, The Age of Spiritual Machines and his 1987 book The Age of Intelligent Machines. In it, as in the two previous versions, Kurzweil attempts to give a glimpse of what awaits us in the near future. He discusses the coming technological singularity, and how we will be able to augment our bodies and minds with technology. He describes the singularity as resulting from a combination of three important technologies of the 21st century: genetics, nanotechnology, and robotics (including artificial intelligence)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I am of two minds on

Well, I am of two minds on his ideas.

On the one hand, if we don't blow ourselves up, poison ourselves, get hit by a gigantic meteor, etc... I am reasonably sure that our technology will steadily improve at least for several more decades. Eventually, the rate of progress must slow down, if for no better reason than the physical limits of matter.

Take nano technology for example. Tiny robots that can move through our blood stream cutting down arterial cholesterol buildup might happen. Although I must also add that they will be a source of heat and extra internal heat is the enemy of homeostasis. On the other hand, robots that can assemble individual molecules one atom at a time seem to be quite improbable on a number of grounds.

Past that, Ray Kurzweil seems to have constructed a fairly elaborate plan for how the next several decades will happen. He even lists a few specific years in which key events will occur. And where the fuck is my flying car?

I will grant that my laptop computer and my microwave oven are pretty cool and nobody predicited those fifty years ago. But they are simply not flying cars. I will grant Kurzweil similar status for his prophecies. Show them to me as they happen.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
the thing is we are using

the thing is we are using nanobots in mice and they dont cause any heat problems so far

btw flying cars will be available from next year

the fda approved it Smiling

google it

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Flying

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

liberatedatheist
atheistScience Freak
liberatedatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
 o shit! are people going

o shit! are people going to be able to take off from the road or will you have to head to an airport? I also imagine this will complicate things for airtraffic controllers. I think I am going to get my pilot's license now so i can grab one of these bad boys when they first come out.

I Am My God

The absence of evidence IS evidence of absence

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Honestly, flyng cars are not a great idea.

I can't drive from one side of town to the other without morons coming at me from all sides. Having these bastards coming out of the sun is going to be too much to bear. 

Of course, I want one.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Human-animals can not

Human-animals can not achieve singularity this quickly; they are too inept/daft/mundane/clueless/inefficient as is

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote:btw flying

Adventfred wrote:

You might have your federal agencies mixed up.  FDA is Food and Drug.  FAA is Aviation.  See:  http://www.faa.gov/

As far as the singularity:

There really aren't any "nano-bots" as distinct robotics; as machines become smaller, they simply become biology.  We're finding that molecular biology and a true understanding of genetics is crossing over with nanotechnology.

Nanotechnology/biotechnology will achieve the same ends, as the same science.  Biological immortality, unlimited food supply, and a genuine interface with large scale computer systems to yield a metaverse are all potentially socially problematic consequences.

That said, I have no reasonable doubt that the technological singularity is near (unless we stop it with legislation), and it will make human effort more or less obsolete; though as to just how near (fifty years?  One hundred?)  I am disinclined to guess.

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Adventfred

Blake wrote:

Adventfred wrote:

You might have your federal agencies mixed up.  FDA is Food and Drug.  FAA is Aviation.  See:  http://www.faa.gov/

There really aren't any "nano-bots" as distinct robotics; as machines become smaller, they simply become biology.  We're finding that molecular biology and a true understanding of genetics is crossing over with nanotechnology.

Nanotechnology/biotechnology will achieve the same ends, as the same science.  Biological immortality, unlimited food supply, and a genuine interface with large scale computer systems to yield a metaverse are all potentially socially problematic consequences.

That said, I have no reasonable doubt that the technological singularity is near (unless we stop it with legislation), and it will make human effort more or less obsolete; though as to just how near (fifty years?  One hundred?)  I am disinclined to guess.

facepalm yup i mixed it up haha

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
i guess the pertinent

i guess the pertinent question is how do we over come the social problems (maybe atheism ?)

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Yah, the whole flying car

Yah, the whole flying car thing was intended as a commentary on the failings of trying to say what the future will be like in a bunch of decades. Really, even two decades ahead is kind of hard to get right. Hell's bells but in the late 60's, there were people in respectable positions saying that we would have men on Mars by the early 80's. Yah, that worked out well.

And I can still go into any corner store an go from frozen burrito to chowing down in about three minutes. Fuck but engineers were cooking food under unshielded radar gear in the 30's. How the ell could anyone have missed out on that?

However, back to my main point, Kurzweil has already decided on what will happen in the next half century, in what order and with certain specific years named for specific achievements. Sorry but I don't think that is likely given the history of “life in the future” predictions.

Sure, if we do not push the master reset button on our culture somehow, cool things will happen. The thing is what are those things and when will they happen? Trying to guess that far out is a probable belly flop of bad guessing.

I saw an article in the New York Times a couple of months ago about a guy somewhere in Europe who has a Blue Gene computer that he is using to run a simulation of a rat brain. He thinks that he can be running a close approximation of a human brain in about five years. Let's wait and see if he pulls it off but if he does, he will have done so way sooner than Kurzweil had in mind.

Nanobots in mice? I googled the matter and came up basically blank. Apparently, we have made some very small machines but nothing that could be even close to a proper nanobot, at least as I understand the matter.

And yes, I still see a heat problem. The issue being not that a single nanobot will produce more than a fiddling tiny micro-calorie or so. But scaled up to production level, what is the total mass of nanobots that one person may want/need to carry around with them? If you can get by with a total of a couple of grams of nanobot, then you can probably shift the heat load around just by normal thermoregulation. On the other hand, if you need to have a few kilograms of nanobots, then thermoreuglation by itself will not be enough to keep your body temperature in the safe zone.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Answers in Gene

I agree with Answers in Gene Simmons.

Also I think energy will be a VERY serious problem in the next decades that will seriously hinder our progress. Renewables can't replace fossil fuels entirely, and not even close! Oil has about 40 years lifespan. Nuclear also runs out quickly (unless fast breeders are used in theory). Solar it's not a proven technology (efficiency and hight tech production facilities dependent on oil). Hydrogen is an illusion. Algae biodiesel is promising but much more investigation has to be made.

Fusion it's a dream that wont happen in the next 100 years

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:Renewables

Teralek wrote:
Renewables can't replace fossil fuels entirely, and not even close!

They could easily do so if we increased the efficiency of our energy use at peak, and in particularly if we developed better batteries.  It's all about the batteries for renewable energy- the power is there, it's just very unreliable (e.g. only during the day).

Quote:
Oil has about 40 years lifespan.

This is a kind of silly prediction.  Sorry, there's more fossil fuel than that.  See tar sands, and the *massive* amount of oil in the arctic region.

We may have hundreds of years of oil left if we use the (readily accessible but currently more  expensive) technology to access it.  It's just less convenient.

*and* I will remind you that oil is a renewable resource, and we don't know how fast it renews yet.

Quote:
Nuclear also runs out quickly (unless fast breeders are used in theory).

Okay, wrong on two points here.  Breeder reactors are not theoretical- though they are generally illegal because they can make weapons grade material very easily.  Also, the supply of fissionable material on Earth is extremely large, and is in no way likely to run out in the foreseeable future.

Critics of nuclear power like to flap nonsense about how it's so limited; this just isn't the case.  left wing conspiracy theories.

Quote:
Solar it's not a proven technology (efficiency and hight tech production facilities dependent on oil).

That sounds like right wing conspiracy theory shit.  Hey, at least your misinformation is balanced. 

Semiconductor solar panels, because the process of yielding pure semiconductors is energy intensive, don't have an extremely large return on energy over their lifetimes, but it is a slight positive return.  There's nothing magical about energy from oil that allows production of solar panels where energy from solar would not.  We simply would not be doing this stuff if it cost more energy to produce the solar panels than they make back over their lifetimes.

There are also other forms of solar power which are nearly 100% efficient and require very little energy to produce-- see solar cooking/heating by way of parabolic reflection.  Heating water by way of solar during the day for use in reservoirs of hot water at any time (a large power drain) is done throughout many countries.

And there's also thermoelectric and sterling engine based power to think about.

The organic dye based solar is perhaps not yet proven technology, but you're ignoring quite a bit that is.

Quote:
Hydrogen is an illusion.

Hydrogen is a means of energy storage- it needs to be sourced somewhere.  It is not an illusion, it is just misunderstood.

Quote:
Algae biodiesel is promising but much more investigation has to be made.

This is pretty much your only point I can't squarely argue with.

Quote:

Tokamak based fusion is only one kind of fusion- and the most dubious.  There are other kinds of fusion- including forms of uncontained fusion and focus fusion of heavier elements with hydrogen.  It's a sly bit foolish to put forth such a general prophesy about the future of all fusion.

Of all of the things that will be problems, a drastic shortage of energy is very unlikely to be one of them (although we may never have as much as we'd like- we'll always use what we have and then want more).

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake:

Nuclear power in combination with H2O being separated by electrical current could, in theory, make hydrogen combustion engines a reality.

As for fusion, I believe there's already a planned test reactor for either 2020 or 2030 (I'm not 100% sure but one of those two dates) that will simply test containment materials but won't actually be used to power anything.

(again, my memory of... where ever I read this is super fuzzy, so take it with a brick of salt. I personally wish I had made a bookmark of it myself.)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
"massive arctic oil

"massive arctic oil reserves" barely keep up with rising demand in the USA alone

Canadian tar sands will barely change anything, unless you are talking about massive environmental damage.

Canadian conventional oil production peaked in 1973, but oil sands production is forecast to increase to at least 202

"Canadian conventional oil production peaked in 1973, but oil sands production is forecast to increase to at least 2020"

I know that saying 40 years is a very rough prediction, but it's very hard to make an accurate one. Nonetheless there is now a huge gap between discoveries and production. 

The problem is not so much as oil depletion but peak oil production that in my opinion already happened starting in 2005. We are now at a plateau. 

OPEC stated reserves are probably wrong:

Energy will have cyclical, ever increasing prices in the future, because of the inflection of the production curve. My view is that, under our current economic system, this will bring a hard and long term depression worldwide. That is until we can get an energy source as plentiful and easy to use as oil. There are sectors of the economy which are seriously threatened, like commercial aviation. I foresee a rebirth of the zeppelin.

What I see in Portugal is wind generators everywhere along the coast. One of the biggest solar parks in the world is here also. However last data points to 60% of all the electricity consumed comes from non renewable sources. More optimistic data has to come out so I can have a more optimistic opinion.

Uranium reserves are not a closed subject. Furthermore, to put into perspective, replacing a basic energy like coal for example, with nuclear would put such a pressure on uranium demand that it would soon run out (unless breeders were used) not to mention the huge costs of such an endeavor.

World Energy consumption

With such an high EROEI I think there are no alternatives to conventional oil.

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Yah, the whole flying car thing was intended as a commentary on the failings of trying to say what the future will be like in a bunch of decades. Really, even two decades ahead is kind of hard to get right. Hell's bells but in the late 60's, there were people in respectable positions saying that we would have men on Mars by the early 80's. Yah, that worked out well.

And I can still go into any corner store an go from frozen burrito to chowing down in about three minutes. Fuck but engineers were cooking food under unshielded radar gear in the 30's. How the ell could anyone have missed out on that?

However, back to my main point, Kurzweil has already decided on what will happen in the next half century, in what order and with certain specific years named for specific achievements. Sorry but I don't think that is likely given the history of “life in the future” predictions.

Sure, if we do not push the master reset button on our culture somehow, cool things will happen. The thing is what are those things and when will they happen? Trying to guess that far out is a probable belly flop of bad guessing.

I saw an article in the New York Times a couple of months ago about a guy somewhere in Europe who has a Blue Gene computer that he is using to run a simulation of a rat brain. He thinks that he can be running a close approximation of a human brain in about five years. Let's wait and see if he pulls it off but if he does, he will have done so way sooner than Kurzweil had in mind.

Nanobots in mice? I googled the matter and came up basically blank. Apparently, we have made some very small machines but nothing that could be even close to a proper nanobot, at least as I understand the matter.

And yes, I still see a heat problem. The issue being not that a single nanobot will produce more than a fiddling tiny micro-calorie or so. But scaled up to production level, what is the total mass of nanobots that one person may want/need to carry around with them? If you can get by with a total of a couple of grams of nanobot, then you can probably shift the heat load around just by normal thermoregulation. On the other hand, if you need to have a few kilograms of nanobots, then thermoreuglation by itself will not be enough to keep your body temperature in the safe zone.

heres a link to nanobots curing cancer in humans 

http://gizmodo.com/5501103/this-is-the-future-of-the-fight-against-cancer

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:I agree with

Teralek wrote:
I agree with Answers in Gene Simmons.

Well, TYVM.

Teralek wrote:
Also I think energy will be a VERY serious problem in the next decades that will seriously hinder our progress.

Actually, that may well be a good thing. Remember that the second law of thermodynamics will be obeyed. You want to see irreversible global warming? Give humans an unlimited cheap source of energy. Even if it produces no chemical pollution, it will inevitably produce pollution in the form of heat.

Now current ideas of global warming refer to energy from the sun becoming eat that can't escape back into space. However, heat pollution generated in the environment is still heat and if we make more than can get out into space, then the earth will heat up.

Teralek wrote:
Renewables can't replace fossil fuels entirely, and not even close!

Not now. No reasonable person expects them to do so. However, they can account for some percentage of our energy consumption. Pick number for that percentage, any number will do. If properly developed, they will at the least stretch out the supplies of petroleum.

Teralek wrote:
Oil has about 40 years lifespan.

That depends on what set of numbers you are using. The 40 year number is predicated on a few assumptions. For example, if we never develop renewables or build another nuclear reactor. It also happen to be based on a specific type of petroleum which is the stuff that is fairly easy to get to and has a relatively large EROEI.

That is related to what is going on with the current gulf oil spill. BP is going after oil that is harder to get to but still has a similar EROEI. There are also forms of petroleum that are easy enough to get to but have a lower EROEI such as tar sands and heavy crude (neither of which is currently considered to be “on the books” as exploitable reserves). Then there is methane hydrate, which is what clogged the first “top hat” that BP tried to use to cap the well. It is basically a form of natural gas that only exists in certain very specific conditions such as the deep ocean or the permafrost in high latitudes.

Teralek wrote:
Nuclear also runs out quickly (unless fast breeders are used in theory).

Umm no. once again, the devil is in the details.

The fast breeder reactor is basically a long dead design that was seen as attractive because it could produce about 101% of the fuel that it burned up. As Blake noted, it was scrapped largely out of concern for the risk of nuclear proliferation.

However, there are many designs for reactors and they all have a number for breeding efficiency. The lowest is probably the naval designs that use 98% U235 mixed with a burnable high neutron absorption cross section. Due to the initial refinement of the fuel, they breed essentially no new fuel.

Past that, all the standard designs for reactors now deployed are running in the range of 100.2% breeding efficiency for light water reactors up to about 100.8% for heavy water reactors. In that sense, one could say that all reactors are breeders. In fact, the reason why fuel is removed from a reactor after a couple of years is because of the fact of the breeding. The fuel essentially becomes more powerful than the reactor is designed to use.

Also, there is the thoruim fuel cycle. Thorium is not a burnable fuel for a reactor. However, it is very common, easily refined and only exists in a single isotope, which when introduced into a conventional reactor, will itself breed usable fuel. There is probably enough trivially recoverable thoruim around the world to last us for several thousand years.

Teralek wrote:
Solar it's not a proven technology (efficiency and hight tech production facilities dependent on oil).

Dependent on oil as an energy source not as a material. As I say, energy can be had where and when we want it. It is more a question of investment than anything else. Give it time and it can happen.

Teralek wrote:
Hydrogen is an illusion.

Hydrogen is currently dependent on petroleum. Not only for the energy but also because commercial hydrogen is made from petroleum. Heavy petroleum is refined into lighter products by increasing the ratio of hydrogen to carbon at the molecular level. All of the industrial hydrogen that we need is produced by tapping some off during the refining.

Given a good energy source apart from petroleum, we can produce hydrogen more or less trivially from water.

One proposal that I have seen involves the rebuilding of the national energy grid using superconducting cable. Given sufficient nuclear capability, it is well within reason to produce hydrogen to use as te cryofluid needed to keep the cables at operating temperature. At the end point of the cable (where it arrives in a city), large quantities of hydrogen are present and that can be used to feel fuel cells, which among other things can be small enough to put in your car.

Teralek wrote:
Algae biodiesel is promising but much more investigation has to be made.

I have not looked into that one very much. It would probably be a good way to reduce CO2 output from fossil fuel power plants though.

Teralek wrote:

Well, the ITER is on track to be able to produce break even power in about another eight years. Due to some cost over runs, the sponsoring nations are right now negotiating to pump another 1.5 billion bucks into the project in order to hit the target. There are also a number of labs that are about that close to break even with inertial confinement.

That is of course only the next step in getting us on target for commercial fusion but it is a big one and we could well be there in another decade after that.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yup. If I was an optimist

Yup. If I was an optimist I'd have said what you did Answers in Gene Simmons.

However I don't think society have fully realized the consequences of a low EROEI.

I agree with you that an energy cap it's good on several points. However the economy doesn't think that way, thus I think this recession is just the start of a very long and dangerous condition. The problem I have with that is unemployment and poverty that may eventually affect me. I want to change the economic system.

I read an interview with a climate expert where the journalist asked him what levels of CO2 we could reach if we continue to use as much fossil fuels as possible as in "business as usual".

He said about 1000 ppm.

Then the journalist asked him what would happen to the climate on those conditions

He answered he had no idea... and was not smiling...

Is there any working thorium reactors in the world? I heard India was trying to develop them

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
answers wrote:That is of

answers wrote:
That is of course only the next step in getting us on target for commercial fusion but it is a big one and we could well be there in another decade after that.

Which relegates (potential) energy crises to myth status. Also, I believe I was referring to ITER in my previous post, but can't be sure.

The problem with fossil fuels, is that it's used in damn near everything with regards to modern economies.

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Kardashev scale

The Kardashev scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale#Current_status_of_human_civilization

The Kardashev scale is a method of measuring an advanced civilization's level of technological advancement. The scale is only theoretical and in terms of an actual civilization highly speculative; however, it puts energy consumption of an entire civilization in a cosmic perspective.

According to physicists we are still well below a type 1 civilization. Also the biggest problem in technological progress is as previously mentioned energy. Still waiting on the flick about RAy Kurzweil transcendent man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntY01qoIdus

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Nuclear power

Kapkao wrote:

Nuclear power in combination with H2O being separated by electrical current could, in theory, make hydrogen combustion engines a reality.

Kapkao, I think you're out of your element here and missed what I said.  My point was only that hydrogen is not a *source* of energy, but a means by which to distribute it.  The source, even as per your example, is something other.

The problem with hydrogen as a means of distribution is that, while it could be fine for homes, it's not very useful for cars because it isn't very dense.  There is research into metal hydrides and other means to trap the hydrogen in a solid to hold it in more space efficient fuel tanks without absurd amounts of pressure and cooling systems.

We'll have to see where that takes us, as to whether hydrogen (for fuel cells, and not primitive combustion) is a useful means of distribution of that energy.

Teralek wrote:

"massive arctic oil reserves" barely keep up with rising demand in the USA alone...

Canadian tar sands will barely change anything, unless you are talking about massive environmental damage.

You don't know how much oil is in Alaska or how useful tar sands will be, but that wasn't all I was talking about.  There's a substantial amount in regions of Canada (and some disputed territory) currently covered by ice.

There are also sources of methane and other hydrocarbons, and carbon, deep in the Earth that make all of the oil ever used by humans look like nothing more than a drop in the bucket.

We could ask the question "Will we find/access it in time to make use of it?", and that is an apt question- but an even more important one is "Should we bother?"  To the latter, I'd have to say probably not.

Teralek wrote:

That is until we can get an energy source as plentiful and easy to use as oil. There are sectors of the economy which are seriously threatened, like commercial aviation. I foresee a rebirth of the zeppelin.

We have one for line transmission- it's called fission.

And it's much more likely that we'll move towards high speed trains for land transport than profoundly slow zeppelins, and maintain aircraft that are simply more efficient for overseas transit.

Do you have any grasp of drag forces or aerodynamics at all?  Increase the surface area of a body and drag increases at a prohibitively exponential rate- zeppelins simply can not move fast; they'd take more fuel than airplanes to even approach the same speeds.  Sure, they're cute, but that's all they have going for them unless you want to move at a snail's pace.

Teralek wrote:
What I see in Portugal is wind generators everywhere along the coast. One of the biggest solar parks in the world is here also. However last data points to 60% of all the electricity consumed comes from non renewable sources. More optimistic data has to come out so I can have a more optimistic opinion.

...That you don't understand the significance that 40% is coming from renewable resources is amazing.  That you don't find optimism in that speaks only to some perverse desire of yours not to.

You do understand that this accounts for most daily usage, with non-renewables kicking in at night due to deficiencies in battery technology?

What we're waiting for, for solar, is new power storage technology.

Once that is achieved, Infrastructure need only be scaled up for those numbers in central and south America to exceed local use. 

The only issue now with power storage is that it's slightly more expensive than non-renewables.  If those sources of energy raise in price, you'll see a boom in the renewable sectors.  It's simple economics.

Teralek wrote:
Uranium reserves are not a closed subject.

And yet you speak as if they are- conveniently from the opposite stance.  You are so certain that they will run out "soon".

http://www.iaea.org/NewsCenter/News/2006/uranium_resources.html

Only considering the Uranium we know about and can access now, our 'reserve' should last at least 80 years.  And using breeder reactors with *just* the uranium, we should be able to get over 2,000 more years out of it (at least 30 times the efficiency)- and that's without using Thorium.

Being very conservative and assuming that those figures only accounted for nuclear power being used for 10% of the world's energy, that would still be at least 200 on merely uranium if it took over for everything else.

Thorium is at least three times as abundant, so it would just be silly to suggest we would get any less than 800 years out of *known* fission technology.

Lets say we increase our energy use by a factor of ten, and it's all nuclear, that would still provide at least 80 years of fuel without any breakthroughs in technology or processing-- and no new discoveries of resources.

If we have any confidence in current geological estimates, we should be able to access at least five times that much with reasonable exploration efforts- giving us at least 400 years of power if we aren't complete idiots about it.

And that's just out of the stuff that's readily available- even at that absurd rate of consumption (ten times current power usage, all nuclear).

Quote:
Furthermore, to put into perspective, replacing a basic energy like coal for example, with nuclear would put such a pressure on uranium demand that it would soon run out (unless breeders were used) not to mention the huge costs of such an endeavor. 

That's like saying "You can't drive across the country (unless you stop at a gas station)"

Not using breeder reactors is profound stupidity- even suggesting that we might not use them is stupid in the context of any knowledge of economics or politics- a large part of the energy released is in the form of neutrons.

Why would we not use breeder reactors?  And why would we not reprocess all of our previously spent fuel in doing so?

Is it because we don't have the technology?  No.

Is it because it's environmentally dangerous?  No.

Currently, raw fuel is dirt cheap (in the neighborhood of $60 a pound)- and reprocessing is slightly more expensive than just using it once through.

Reprocessing can also facilitate the production of weapons grade fissile material- a concern in certain third world countries.

If the raw uranium becomes diminished, we will simply begin reprocessing as the price goes up, and get at least 30 times the fuel out of it.

As to what we'll do about third world countries- we will either have to stabilize their governments, accept that they will have WMDs, or pipe them energy from stable regions.

There's no reason that the major world powers, however, will not be reprocessing fuel in breeder reactors.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
This trancendance is about

This trancendance is about hacking the human brain:

Robotized TMS by ANT-Neuro

Tan Le: A headset that reads your brainwaves

Bybassing the normal inputs and outputs. Inputing pleasure and pain via computer rather than the body.

The need for religion will become obsolete when these technologies becomes mature.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Actually, that may well be a good thing. Remember that the second law of thermodynamics will be obeyed. You want to see irreversible global warming? Give humans an unlimited cheap source of energy. Even if it produces no chemical pollution, it will inevitably produce pollution in the form of heat.

Now current ideas of global warming refer to energy from the sun becoming eat that can't escape back into space. However, heat pollution generated in the environment is still heat and if we make more than can get out into space, then the earth will heat up.

Your logic is not entirely wrong, but your scale is way off.  Humans aren't capable of producing enough heat to make a difference- what we are capable of doing is worsening the greenhouse effect.

The hotter something is, the brighter it glows; with no greenhouse, that heat radiates away easily into space; if we really did produce enough heat to make a difference [we couldn't; not even deliberately] then all we would have to do is lessen the greenhouse effect by an extremely small amount to compensate for it.  OR we could mount a few mirrors and reflect a bit of visible light back into space. 

Remember, the greenhouse is trapping solar radiation falling over the 98 - 99% of the Earth that is uninhabited by humans.

To put into perspective the mind-bogglingly large amount of power that is:

Sunlight is well over a kilowatt per square meter during peak time.  Of course, the Earth rotates, so we generally get about a quarter of that on average- some 340 Watts.  About a third of it is actually reflected, so we're left with about 226 Watts per square meter.

The surface area of the Earth is about  5.1 e14 square meters.

That's about 173,400 terawatts.

To put this absurdly large amount of power into perspective, the world uses about 15 terawatts of power.

That's not one, not two, not three, but four orders of magnitude larger.

We could multiply our usage by a hundred, and it's very unlikely anybody would notice (particularly because hot spots like cities radiate out into space like glowing coals).  However, trap a bit more of that 173,400 terawatts in as heat over a broad area, and you get a slight overall temperature change which doesn't increase black body radiation significantly, and that makes a big difference.

Quote:
One proposal that I have seen involves the rebuilding of the national energy grid using superconducting cable. Given sufficient nuclear capability, it is well within reason to produce hydrogen to use as te cryofluid needed to keep the cables at operating temperature. At the end point of the cable (where it arrives in a city), large quantities of hydrogen are present and that can be used to feel fuel cells, which among other things can be small enough to put in your car.

That's really quite clever; I haven't heard that one.

liberatedatheist
atheistScience Freak
liberatedatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
funknotik wrote: Still

funknotik wrote:

Still waiting on the flick about RAy Kurzweil transcendent man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntY01qoIdus

I've always thought Ray has a huge lack of appreciation for how fucked up things could become.

I Am My God

The absence of evidence IS evidence of absence

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Kapkao

Blake wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Kapkao, I think you're out of your element here and missed what I said. 

Except I wasn't even responding to you...

Edit; well, maybe I was... o.O Memory is defective, I suppose.

Quote:

My point was only that hydrogen is not a *source* of energy, but a means by which to distribute it. 

I don't recall disputing this.

Quote:
The source, even as per your example, is something other.

The problem with hydrogen as a means of distribution is that, while it could be fine for homes, it's not very useful for cars because it isn't very dense.

Correct, it is gas. ... and?

Quote:
There is research into metal hydrides and other means to trap the hydrogen in a solid to hold it in more space efficient fuel tanks without absurd amounts of pressure and cooling systems.

We'll have to see where that takes us, as to whether hydrogen (for fuel cells, and not primitive combustion) is a useful means of distribution of that energy.

I guess it depends on whatever your definition of "primitive combustion" is (my guess is the current automotive engines used today.)

Yes, pressurized (frozen or condensed) hydrogen was what my original reference was to.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: As far as the

Quote:

Biology is the "Study of life". Unless nanotechnology can reproduce and continue it's existence without interference from it's manufacturing species (like viruses can), they really aren't alive.

The Qubit may represent a challenge to this. 

Quote:

We haven't produced a learning machine yet, nor have we even come close. (conspiracy theories aside)

I suppose the (possibly moot) question to ask you now is if you are opposed to people being allowed to live forever, have unlimited food (or perhaps no longer be dependent on organic sustenance at all), and be able exchange thoughts directly with other humans over photons, and to be able to enjoy life regardless of cultural background and congenital defect.

Are you against a machine-organized paradise?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Except I wasn't

Kapkao wrote:

Except I wasn't even responding to you...

Edit; well, maybe I was... o.O Memory is defective, I suppose.
[...]

I don't recall disputing this.

That's what had me confused.  I thought you were disputing it with a non-dispute, which is why I thought you have misread me.  I suppose we'll never know.

Quote:

Biology is the "Study of life". Unless nanotechnology can reproduce and continue it's existence without interference from it's manufacturing species (like viruses can), they really aren't alive.

There's no reason they can't.  Any suggestion to the contrary is simply superstitious, going against all knowledge in the field of material science, and I won't humor it.

Quote:
The Qubit may represent a challenge to this.

WTF?

How do you reason that?

Quote:

We haven't produced a learning machine yet, nor have we even come close. (conspiracy theories aside)

Again: WTF?

Yes we have.  Many.  And we've been doing it for decades.  They aren't very smart, but artificial neural networks are defined by the ability to learn and solve problems; that's why we use them.

Quote:
I suppose the (possibly moot) question to ask you now is if you are opposed to people being allowed to live forever, have unlimited food (or perhaps no longer be dependent on organic sustenance at all), and be able exchange thoughts directly with other humans over photons, and to be able to enjoy life regardless of cultural background and congenital defect.

Are you against a machine-organized paradise?

Not necessarily.  Being so would be akin to being against gravity.  It's an emergent property of technological evolution and it's going to happen.  Why should I mind something inherently natural and inevitable?

That said, neither am I necessarily for it.  It is a change... that's all.  It will mean different things to different people.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote: Quote:Biology

Blake wrote:

Quote:

There's no reason they can't.  Any suggestion to the contrary is simply superstitious, going against all knowledge in the field of material science, and I won't humor it.

My main point: no machines are currently alive. You were speaking in the present, I believe.

Quote:

WTF?

How do you reason that?

You misread so easily. The qubit may enable micro and nano machinery to reproduce without creative interference. Time will tell.

Quote:
Again: WTF?

Yes we have.  Many.  And we've been doing it for decades.  They aren't very smart, but artificial neural networks are defined by the ability to learn and solve problems; that's why we use them.

dictionary.com wrote:

Also called neural net . a computer model designed to simulate the behavior of biological neural networks, as in pattern recognition, language processing, and problem solving, with the goal of self-directed information processing.

Neural nets adapt (and then only somewhat so); they do not learn.

Quote:
Not necessarily.  Being so would be akin to being against gravity.  It's an emergent property of technological evolution and it's going to happen.  Why should I mind something inherently natural and inevitable?

That said, neither am I necessarily for it.  It is a change... that's all.  It will mean different things to different people.

What did you mean by "Socially problematic consequences"?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:My main point:

Kapkao wrote:

My main point: no machines are currently alive. You were speaking in the present, I believe.

Yes, one generally speaks in the present with regards to evident scientific fact. 

For example, I can say: a Yottawatt laser is very powerful.

Yes, it is.  Are there any?  Doesn't matter.  I'd be willing to bet you anything that there are many, many machines currently alive (just not necessarily in this location).

Quote:
You misread so easily. The qubit may enable micro and nano machinery to reproduce without creative interference. Time will tell.

Or just good old fashioned chemical or mechanical reproduction.

Quote:

Neural nets adapt (and then only somewhat so); they do not learn.

That is learning.

Quote:

What did you mean by "Socially problematic consequences"?

Economic ones, and some people not knowing what to do, or being dismayed over having no purpose- some reacting against it violently.  How do you think teamsters will respond to the mass proliferation of robot workers?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:   Blake

Kapkao wrote:

Blake wrote:

Quote:

There's no reason they can't. Any suggestion to the contrary is simply superstitious, going against all knowledge in the field of material science, and I won't humor it.

OK and just how do you define life as would apply to a machine?

Seriously, what process does a machine need to perform in order to be considered alive? The fact is that there are many machines that perform some function that would be used in any reasonable definition of life.

One interesting one that I read about in Scientific American a couple of years ago was a suite of software for electronics prototyping which had been merged with a genetic algorithm. When the program was run and allowed to combine parts randomly, it did exactly that. The resultant “devices” that did not serve any useful purpose were considered to be basically bad runs. The ones that did perform useful functions were mostly already known circuitry. However, the program did eventually develop previously unknown circuits which were patentable items. The authors did not write on the matter of who the patent office awarded credit for the work to but I think that a case could be made for giving at least partial credit to the computer that the software was running on.

Kapkao wrote:

Quote:
WTF?

How do you reason that?

Time for yet another WTF?

Do you even know what a qbit is and what having a bunch of them might be good for? Seriously, it is not just a word to use when you want to come off sounding knowledgeable. If you have an idea of how quantum computing is relevant to machine reproduction, then do please share the details.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Ultimately, it just needs to reproduce all by its lonesome.

However, the idea of any organism reproducing on its own is kind of absurd- by that definition, in requiring it to engage in the entire process by itself, humans aren't alive because we have to pull certain building blocks from other organisms in order to build more of ourselves.

So, what's the difference in my eating a soy bean to get a hand full of amino acids to assemble cells out of, and an assembling machine getting the parts it needs to build another one of itself from a shipping crate?  Objectively, not really any.

That's what makes the ideas of an objective qualification of 'life' such nonsense- it's all a matter of degree and kind of autonomy, growth, and reproduction.

Chemical, biological- it's all the same when you get down to it.

Quote:

I was fresh out of them, thanks for the loaner!

Here's a little link for Kapkao:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/7/26/

It might help explain the whole concept of a learning intelligence (and some of those social issues I was talking about).

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Time for another cliche\\redundant remark?

Quote:
Do you even know what a qbit is and what having a bunch of them might be good for? Seriously, it is not just a word to use when you want to come off sounding knowledgeable. If you have an idea of how quantum computing is relevant to machine reproduction, then do please share the details.

Yes, I know what a qubit is.

I also know it could (potentially) grant the processing power necessary for a microscopic machine to self-replicate and self-manage on internal programming, without direct control from a human-animal.

Quote:
Seriously, it is not just a word to use when you want to come off sounding knowledgeable.

Time for yet another

..........and?

Silicon-based binary processing falls well outside the space and efficiency limitations to run bio-machinery from within the human-animal chassis\\meat\\frame\\body. It is that simple\\arbitrary.

Quote:

Seriously, what process does a machine need to perform in order to be considered alive?

dictionary.com wrote:

life

 /laɪf/ Show Spelled [lahyf] Show IPA noun, plural lives
 /laɪvz/ Show Spelled[lahyvz] Show IPA, adjective
–noun
the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.
the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, esp. metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment

You may also want to check Blake's post. The essential, distinguishing characteristic between natural life on Earth, and artificial machines is, of course, the ability to fulfill a life-cycle; i.e. able to reproduce and independently adapt (evolve) to new circumstances.

Anything else, imo, is a machine/software code that is the byproduct of "intelligent design"; i.e. designed and partially directed by human-animals to perform any useful task.

An Earth without human-animals, is a world where machines are no longer functional. Everything else would function; machines would corrode, break down, and (after several millenia) crumble into the subterranean strata of the planet's crust.

Any machine that can not function and (self-effectively) "survive" without human-animal meddling is inert, and therefore not truly alive.

Blake has barely scratched the surface of the inevitable negative consequences of independent, highly-advanced machinery.

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
I've read two of Kurzweil's

I've read two of Kurzweil's books so far. I'm totally on board with it, believe he may be onto something, and in fact, hope I live long enough to see it happen. I find it intensely exciting.

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:I've read

smartypants wrote:

I've read two of Kurzweil's books so far. I'm totally on board with it, believe he may be onto something, and in fact, hope I live long enough to see it happen. I find it intensely exciting.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Blake has

Kapkao wrote:

Blake has barely scratched the surface of the inevitable negative consequences of independent, highly-advanced machinery.

I agree, I was only trying to scratch the surface.  Of course, there are also subjectively positive consequences.  Whether one outweighs the other is entirely opinion.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I still think we are on

I still think we are on track for an energy crisis. Blake didn't convince me. The numbers that I presented do.

It probably will be the transport sector who will scream first and this will bring a globalization crisis.

We just can't change energetic policy overnight. Infrastructural and political costs ate astronomical. A recession triggered by oil prices is the next in line.

So many times in the past we screamed "fusion power" that I just don't believe it anymore. Anyway it will be so expensive it ain't worth it.

Renewables don't come close to face our rising energy needs.

We need to change lifestyle and with it be more happy. Produce less, work less, buy less. Spend time with each other.

Singularity can wait. We have millennia of time.

We need common projects not resource takeover at any cost.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Teralek wrote:So many times

Teralek wrote:
So many times in the past we screamed "fusion power" that I just don't believe it anymore. Anyway it will be so expensive it ain't worth it.
Ignoring the rest of your ...is English your first language?  Anyhow, you don't need to believe in fusion power.  We already have it.  We've had it for a few decades.  Have you ever heard of JET (Joint European Torus), ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor), TFTR (Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor) or the many other experimental fusion (related) projects (even others aside from tokamaks)?  Not only have we the capability to produce fusion power, we're getting closer and closer to a sustainable fusion reaction that exceeds the minimum Q value (more energy from the fusion reaction than it takes to begin or sustain it) for an efficient reactor.  There are real hurdles in producing the power efficiently and without the tremendous cost it now takes, but the research is advancing and the experiments have led to advancement in future experimental designs.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy, I have to agree

Thomathy, I have to agree with you on this one. Except to note that you missed one great example. The Farnsworth Fusor. You can build one in your kitchen for a few hundred bucks and it will produce (if you do it right) over 200,000,000 degrees c in the center of the unit.

The deuterium is a tad expensive but you can buy a pint of heavy water through the mail. When you are not running your home brew reactor, you can make ice cubes that will impress your friends at parties (they sink to the bottom of drinks).

http://www.brian-mcdermott.com/fusion_is_easy.htm

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=