Muslims want to build Mosque near Ground Zero.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Muslims want to build Mosque near Ground Zero.

It should not be a controversy. If it is private property and current zoning laws allow for ANY religious institution to be built there, and the owner of the property wants to sell it to Muslims, then they should BY LAW be allowed to build it.

There is a FALSE assumption that only Christians died in those towers and many Muslims died to. Now of course I do not support any religion and find all god belief to be absurd. I am strictly talking about society trying to bully private property owners.

I get the emotional reaction and it was Muslim zealots who committed the horrible acts of 9/11. But their reaction to the Mosque being built says they care more about tribalism, than the pluralism the city has in reality and the secular concept of welcoming all that our founders intended.

We can blame religion for 9/11 just like we can blame religion for the Dark Ages. What we cannot do is allow fear mongers divide and destroy humanity.

It isn't about bowing to Islam, it is about the secular law our country falls under. If people wouldn't have a problem with a church or Synagogue there, then a Mosque should be treated no differently.

These same people who are complaining about the Mosque being built also complain about the lack of freedom non-Muslims have in the middle east.

I think these people might have forgotten the name of the tower complex was, "WORLD TRADE CENTER". It wasn't just white American Christians who died, there were people from 80 nations and every religion among the dead.

Islam isn't going away, and it should be debated and exposed for the myth it is just like any other religion. I am strictly talking about the rule of law and that if we are going to maintain our secular attitude then we cant complain when others in this country want to do what we do ourselves.

FYI, there was a Muslim woman at the city council meeting on video saying "I had family members die that day. I am an American too". She is right. What right do citizens have denying the rights of a fellow citizen based on guilt by association?

We don't have to give up the fight against the fascism of those who committed 9/11 , but we also lose our compassion even for those we disagree with. I do not assume that all the members of Islam want me dead because I am not a Muslim.

The bottom line is that if the property is legal and the transactions are legal and the building codes are legal, the owner should be allowed to do with that property what they wish. Anyone reading this who owns a business or even a house understands this. We cant have laws that only apply to us but not others. If freedom of religion is to be defended, then we cant be selective as to which one we defend".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I joined the fb page "say no

I joined the fb page "say no to the mosque at ground zero" for my own reasons. It should actually be fairly obvious.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I joined the

robj101 wrote:

I joined the fb page "say no to the mosque at ground zero" for my own reasons. It should actually be fairly obvious.

This is about LAW not emotionalism. Unless you can prove through legal means that this mosque would be used as a criminal organization, you have no right to keep them from doing what people of other religions do all the time.

Either we are a secular nation with equal protection under the law, or we are not. You are making the location a taboo. You do realize that the same city DENIED American Atheists a permit to conduct their own mourning ceremony. Is that what you want to be part of?

You are acting as if 9/11 was the only act of horror committed by humans on other humans in human history.

I understand the REACTION to the event and I understand the loss of life and we should never forget what happened that day. But in the end the common law is the only thing that all of us live under. We cannot throw that out for any reason, otherwise we are no better than the Muslims who attacked us.

I saw the face of a woman who saw the towers go down, just days after it happened, The look of fear and horror in her while she described it, shook telling me what she saw is burned into my memory. Days later I ran into a Muslim women in a parking lot and tried to comfort her because she was scared of everyone around her and was afraid that I would attack her. THOSE women both had the same look of fear.

Humans suffer and do horrible things to each other all the time. Making that event, as horrible as it was, a taboo is to diminish the history of human suffering in human history. That event shouldn't promote Islam or America or Christianity. It should serve as a reminder to all what not to do to others.

If you cannot allow Muslim citizens to be free in this country when they haven't been accused of something and want to assume guilt before they have done something, the fascist states they come from are famous for assuming guilt.

I am not saying don't keep an eye on Islam. I am not saying don't question Islam. I am saying that we are a secular nation and our laws should apply equally. If you are unwilling to do that, then you are no better than the Christian revisionists who want our government to favor Jesus and seat all others at the back of the bus.

This is STRICTLY about law. If the Muslims promoting this mosque are legal and the land is legal and they are citizens why should they be treated any differently? You do realize that if American Atheists bought that same building and wanted to put up an atheist building, they would have the same reaction and be JUST AS WRONG.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian is right from the moral

point of view. To sidestep the mosque issue, I think all religious houses should be banned from the area save for an austere pantheon where we can all go and quietly contemplate the multifarious sins of the most evil meme.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

point of view. To sidestep the mosque issue, I think all religious houses should be banned from the area save for an austere pantheon where we can all go and quietly contemplate the multifarious sins of the most evil meme.

Ok, and how do you propose we ban religion? Like Hitler and Stalin? Naw, that doesn't feed into the believer's stereotypes of atheists.

Atheists are just as capable of credulous utopia thinking. You think it is possible to get 6 billion people all on the same page?

I want to see the end of religion as much as any other atheist. But I will not lose my human empathy in knowing that people will believe what they believe. The only reasonable thing any human can do is to allow the claims to be made and allow the challenge of all claims.

I detect a note of sarcasm in your response, so forgive me if I misunderstood. I simply get a lip twitch when atheists use words like "rid" and "ban" for whatever reason.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well Brian, while there are

Well Brian, while there are idiots everywhere, NYC idiots are a very special bunch. Right now, they are engaging in a festival of cognitive dissonance the likes of which, I don't know if it has ever happened.

Seriously, go to NYC sometime and try to get anywhere in a taxi. Something like 70+% of the cab drivers in the area are moslems. There are already a bunch of mosques all over the area.

Also of note is that they already own the building and have been praying there for years. It is the old Burlington Coat Factory on Park place and Church st. It sits between the Amish market and a huge bar that uses the slogan “where too much is never enough”. The whole neighborhood is a dump and the buildings have mostly not had an exterior paint job in many years.

While it would not surprise me to hear that there are idiots all over the US protesting this, it is really only the ones actually in NYC that can even claim to have much of an opinion on the matter and that is fairly small.

What is behind this story that is only getting very slight play is that the moslems want to put up a shiny new building on the property where they are already praying. Against that, the idiots are trying to get this very special dump declared a landmark so that nobody can ever develop the property again. Even if the moslems sell out later on, it would pretty much never be useful for anything in the area once it gets landmark status. Then the people of NYC will be stuck with a huge ugly dump of a building that can never be torn down or used for anything not of “cultural significance” ever again.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Most of the taxi drivers are

Most of the taxi drivers are Muslim. And that makes them less human how?

Lets spark up the ovens because they are willing to take jobs you don't want. Are you sure you're not caught in a multi universe actually speaking about Mexicans in Arizona?

If you want to go after criminals and terrorists GREAT! I am with you all the way. But assuming guilt because of numbers and origin and label is exactly what we accuse theists of all the time.

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I agree we can't ban religion

Brian but there's nevertheless a fierce thing inside me that sometimes wants to grind it into a fine powder. I'm not going to defend this poisonous, reactive feeling. In any case I was serious about the pantheon. Maybe if all faiths worshipped together believers would realise humans look equally silly swaying back and forth with their eyes shut. To me there's always been a bigness of spirit in the concept of one pantheon for all worship.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Most of the

Brian37 wrote:

Not what I am saying Brian.  Rather, NYC has a crap load of muslims.  They are all worshiping somewhere.  Quite a lot of somewhere actually as there are at least a dozen major mosques there.  Including the one in the old Burlington Coat Factory building.  They are already there and worshiping.  Calling the building a landmark does not force them out, it only prevents them from having a shiny new building on that site.

Really, they needed more space for the community, so they found an empty building they could pick up cheaply.  Really cheaply because Burlington left due to the fact that they did not want to pay for repairs after it got a jet engine hurled through the upper stories.

In fact, there are like three other huge mosques within a mile of the place.  The specific group that now owns the building got like 90% of the way through the process to approve construction before anyone noticed.  Now there is a huge problem somehow.  Um, there was not a huge problem a year ago and they are not doing anything different today.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Not what I am saying Brian.  Rather, NYC has a crap load of muslims.  They are all worshiping somewhere.  Quite a lot of somewhere actually as there are at least a dozen major mosques there.  Including the one in the old Burlington Coat Factory building.  They are already there and worshiping.  Calling the building a landmark does not force them out, it only prevents them from having a shiny new building on that site.

Really, they needed more space for the community, so they found an empty building they could pick up cheaply.  Really cheaply because Burlington left due to the fact that they did not want to pay for repairs after it got a jet engine hurled through the upper stories.

In fact, there are like three other huge mosques within a mile of the place.  The specific group that now owns the building got like 90% of the way through the process to approve construction before anyone noticed.  Now there is a huge problem somehow.  Um, there was not a huge problem a year ago and they are not doing anything different today.

So? If I had a nickle for every Church in America. That is the price of freedom. They are not going to take over anymore than Christians have managed to try to turn America into a theocracy. Some Christians certainly do try and I see new Churches built all the time. What protects us is not getting rid of competition, what protects us is our common law.

If there is any funny business going on BY ANY religious group, not just Muslims, they all should be scrutinized. We certainly have seen plenty of Christian try to pull of scams and start hate groups. But that does not mean we should assume guilt by association.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:robj101

Brian37 wrote:

robj101 wrote:

This is about LAW not emotionalism. Unless you can prove through legal means that this mosque would be used as a criminal organization, you have no right to keep them from doing what people of other religions do all the time.

Either we are a secular nation with equal protection under the law, or we are not. You are making the location a taboo. You do realize that the same city DENIED American Atheists a permit to conduct their own mourning ceremony. Is that what you want to be part of?

You are acting as if 9/11 was the only act of horror committed by humans on other humans in human history.

I understand the REACTION to the event and I understand the loss of life and we should never forget what happened that day. But in the end the common law is the only thing that all of us live under. We cannot throw that out for any reason, otherwise we are no better than the Muslims who attacked us.

I saw the face of a woman who saw the towers go down, just days after it happened, The look of fear and horror in her while she described it, shook telling me what she saw is burned into my memory. Days later I ran into a Muslim women in a parking lot and tried to comfort her because she was scared of everyone around her and was afraid that I would attack her. THOSE women both had the same look of fear.

Humans suffer and do horrible things to each other all the time. Making that event, as horrible as it was, a taboo is to diminish the history of human suffering in human history. That event shouldn't promote Islam or America or Christianity. It should serve as a reminder to all what not to do to others.

If you cannot allow Muslim citizens to be free in this country when they haven't been accused of something and want to assume guilt before they have done something, the fascist states they come from are famous for assuming guilt.

I am not saying don't keep an eye on Islam. I am not saying don't question Islam. I am saying that we are a secular nation and our laws should apply equally. If you are unwilling to do that, then you are no better than the Christian revisionists who want our government to favor Jesus and seat all others at the back of the bus.

This is STRICTLY about law. If the Muslims promoting this mosque are legal and the land is legal and they are citizens why should they be treated any differently? You do realize that if American Atheists bought that same building and wanted to put up an atheist building, they would have the same reaction and be JUST AS WRONG.

First amendment rights, I am pretty sure I have them despite my atheism.

edit: and it all sounds good about us being secular and fair to everyone, but in practice it will not work.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Brian37

robj101 wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

robj101 wrote:

First amendment rights, I am pretty sure I have them despite my atheism.

edit: and it all sounds good about us being secular and fair to everyone, but in practice it will not work.

There is no other choice. It isn't a perfect system by any means, but it is far better than "My way or the highway" which religion and politics take. The only check on fascism is common law.

Now if you have a better idea I am all ears.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't, where Islam is

I don't, where Islam is concerned I am realistic and happy, call it fascism if you like. It's a threat to me, my family and everyone in the country. I considered posting say, Pat's no mosque at ground zero vid, the 3rd jihad video or numerous other vid's but I figure if you are interested you have already seen them and prefer to look down this particular tunnel.

The US is bad enough with christianity, I do not see a real need to add the insanity of islam to the mix if we can help it, but we can't so your desire to see the letter of the law will be upheld, untill you virtually have a gun held to your head demanding praise to allah in the next 20-30 years I would suspect. It only took about 10 years in Britain but the U.S. is a big country. The oil cash which we provide a good majority of will fund mosques and lawyers to zip our mouths shut about their religion soon enough.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I don't, where

robj101 wrote:

I don't, where Islam is concerned I am realistic and happy, call it fascism if you like. It's a threat to me, my family and everyone in the country. I considered posting say, Pat's no mosque at ground zero vid, the 3rd jihad video or numerous other vid's but I figure if you are interested you have already seen them and prefer to look down this particular tunnel.

The US is bad enough with christianity, I do not see a real need to add the insanity of islam to the mix if we can help it, but we can't so your desire to see the letter of the law will be upheld, untill you virtually have a gun held to your head demanding praise to allah in the next 20-30 years I would suspect. It only took about 10 years in Britain but the U.S. is a big country. The oil cash which we provide a good majority of will fund mosques and lawyers to zip our mouths shut about their religion soon enough.

Of course Islam is a threat to you. Willful credulity is a threat to humanity, not just Islam. But we are also dealing with human beings, not robots, we cannot treat humans who make absurd claims as a different species, otherwise we are no different or less tribal as those we accuse.

You think simply because I was not a direct witness in the city at the time that it didn't affect me? What I wont do is take the same "us vs them" attitude we accuse them of. That is NOT the same as saying we should put up with criminals or zealots.

This country has gotten through slavery, genocide, sexism a civil war and 2 World Wars and we are still here. Your fatalism is exactly what humanity doesn't need more of.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
"We need to kick them all

"We need to kick them all out"

You do know that we had a president say that atheists shouldn't be considered citizens. And McCarthy went around accusing even fellow Christians of being atheist communists. So your solution is to accuse all Muslims of being terrorists by guilt by association?

Was it right for America to put Japanese citizens in internment camps during WW2, not because they had any evidence on every single one of them, but merely because of their origin?

I cant fear what has not happened yet. I fear more what humans are capable of when paranoid. It is one thing to keep an eye on things and be skeptical, it is inhuman to treat another human as a sub species because of some fear of something you think might happen.

Why stop at kicking Muslims out? Hitler started by denying Jews property rights or business ownership. Don't let the fear that some Muslims want to instill on you send you down the same fascist path their advocates are selling.

The west does not have to bow to Islam nor should it. But we cannot let fear cause us to become the very thing we say we hate.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
If it is private property,

If it is private property, then it is private property. We can't arbitrarily state that nobody can build a mosque there.

If it's really so bad, the government could buy it and make it into a memorial or something.  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:"We need to

Brian37 wrote:

"We need to kick them all out"

You do know that we had a president say that atheists shouldn't be considered citizens. And McCarthy went around accusing even fellow Christians of being atheist communists. So your solution is to accuse all Muslims of being terrorists by guilt by association?

Was it right for America to put Japanese citizens in internment camps during WW2, not because they had any evidence on every single one of them, but merely because of their origin?

I cant fear what has not happened yet. I fear more what humans are capable of when paranoid. It is one thing to keep an eye on things and be skeptical, it is inhuman to treat another human as a sub species because of some fear of something you think might happen.

Why stop at kicking Muslims out? Hitler started by denying Jews property rights or business ownership. Don't let the fear that some Muslims want to instill on you send you down the same fascist path their advocates are selling.

The west does not have to bow to Islam nor should it. But we cannot let fear cause us to become the very thing we say we hate.

Tell us the story of islam in europe. Speak of multi-culturalism and political correctness. Because once they really get a foot in the door it's over, their goal is world domination it says so in their holy book. I believe christians have the same goal but christianity is a bit more moderate in terms of violence. If you choose to lean back and "see what happens" thats fine and you can complain about me complaining but it doesn't change the fact that islam is comming and islam is a terrible disease.

No one can "stop" the mosque at ground zero all they can really do is add public awareness. I think the mosque will go up and that will be that but there will be some trouble over it. Try setting up an atheist convention center in the middle east, see what happens.

http://barenakedislam.wordpress.com/2010/06/05/beheadings-r-us/ enjoy the religion of peace.

edit: forgot to address the japanese internment camps, it was sad but necessary. Common sense dictates that any one of them could have been a sympathizer and killed many. Uncommon sense says that they were innocent and should have been left alone, but obviously they were not a problem but would any of them have been a problem otherwise? We will never know, all we do know is that they were locked up in a camp and didn't have the ability to kill anyone. Now we suffer from too much political correctness. You sir seem quite politically correct on this issue. "let them come, they haven't done anything. Just because they have been a problem elsewhere if they claim to be moderate then they are probably ok." This seems to be what you are saying which is a hard left approach aiming a blind eye at what they have already done. I'm relatively certain I am not the only one who would argue this with you on this forum.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/05/faisal-shahzad-caught-on-_n_564705.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/13/afghan-soldier-kills-3-br_n_644214.html

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Forgot an important

Forgot an important one:

http://www.newsrealblog.com/2010/07/13/dead-woman-walking-artist-who-proposed-everybody-draw-muhammed-day/

Yes this would a rare time to deny deny. Untill the "moderates" decide to be moderate and remove the cancerous growth from their underbelly, deny deny.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:edit: forgot

robj101 wrote:

edit: forgot to address the japanese internment camps, it was sad but necessary. Common sense dictates that any one of them could have been a sympathizer and killed many.

Save me, Jesus. This is so stupid (and rather evil) that I don't know where to begin.

First off: if it was necessary, then why weren't all German-Americans sent to camps for being possible Nazi sympathizers? The second largest Nazi party in the world at the time was the US Nazi party. Yet no German-Americans were sent to camps. That was plain-old racism. Whites related to our enemies? They are just Americans like you or I. Non-whites related to our enemies? Possible sympathizers, better seize their property and send them to concentration camps. I hate it when people scream 'racism!,' but it really was anti-white racism and NOT a pragmatic move.

Second: many of those Japanese-American families had been in the US for generations. They were ethnically Japanese in the same way that I'm ethnically Irish. It would be absurd to accuse me of secretly wanting to advance Irish interests in opposition to the US. It was absurd to accuse those people of secretly wanting to harm the US when their families had been here for generations and they only had the most tenuous, distant connection to Japan.

Unless you are a full-blooded Native American, then you are ethnically in the same boat as those Japanese-Americans back in WWII. It would NOT be common sense to seize your property and send you to a concentration camp if the US and whatever nation you are ethnically related to went to war. In fact: are you claiming that you would gladly surrender your property and freedom to the government if the US hypothetically went to war with whatever country your ancestors are from? Let me guess: the answer is 'no.'

The Japanese internment camps are a black stain on our history. Let's not try and white-wash it by pretending that it was a sensible policy.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never said it was good.

I never said it was good. They considered it necessary and it happened. I doubt that is the darkest stain in our history though...

I did not mean to imply that I personally think it was necessary, but they did, there have been many things done that seem evil but for the times seemed necessary or they would not have done it. Sure a lot of things have been done out of pure malice but unless you can actually imagine the mindset of people 80 years ago I don't think you have a legitimate claim here. Todays politics and social moral standards are very different. I would like to say that slavery was one of the worst things in american history and indeed it was, but at the time it was just everyday shit. We learn and get better.. or worse, thats the way it works.

liberatedatheist
atheistScience Freak
liberatedatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote: Tell us the

robj101 wrote:

Tell us the story of islam in europe. Speak of multi-culturalism and political correctness. Because once they really get a foot in the door it's over, their goal is world domination it says so in their holy book. I believe christians have the same goal but christianity is a bit more moderate in terms of violence. If you choose to lean back and "see what happens" thats fine and you can complain about me complaining but it doesn't change the fact that islam is comming and islam is a terrible disease.

No one can "stop" the mosque at ground zero all they can really do is add public awareness. I think the mosque will go up and that will be that but there will be some trouble over it. Try setting up an atheist convention center in the middle east, see what happens.

http://barenakedislam.wordpress.com/2010/06/05/beheadings-r-us/ enjoy the religion of peace. 

Holy fuck i have never come so close to vomiting after watching something than i just did after seeing the eugene armstrong beheading video. i still dont think building a mosque is a big deal but there has to be something done on a global scale to end fundamentalism. fuck this shit 

I Am My God

The absence of evidence IS evidence of absence

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
liberatedatheist

liberatedatheist wrote:

robj101 wrote:

Holy fuck i have never come so close to vomiting after watching something than i just did after seeing the eugene armstrong beheading video. i still dont think building a mosque is a big deal but there has to be something done on a global scale to end fundamentalism. fuck this shit 

Eh I haven't even watched them. I saw the still and thats enough for me. The kids are the worst part, I don't even know who it is they are killing but they look to be 12 years old or something.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yay, he will go to prison to

Yay, he will go to prison to convert more innmates. Fine american citizens.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:First

Jormungander wrote:

First off: if it was necessary, then why weren't all German-Americans sent to camps for being possible Nazi sympathizers? The second largest Nazi party in the world at the time was the US Nazi party. Yet no German-Americans were sent to camps. That was plain-old racism. Whites related to our enemies? They are just Americans like you or I. Non-whites related to our enemies? Possible sympathizers, better seize their property and send them to concentration camps. I hate it when people scream 'racism!,' but it really was anti-white racism and NOT a pragmatic move.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_9066

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_internment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_American_internment

I haven't had time to thoroughly peruse the articles, nevertheless, I would ( with all due respect ) suggest not jumping to conclusions regarding either the guilt or innocence regarding the US government and war-time hysteria in the 1940's.   See American government's passive acceptance of Japan's Unit 731 war crimes simply because the Truman administration wanted to obtain their "valuable" information regarding chemical and biological weapons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 is correct that

Brian37 is correct that Islam isn't going away, and some of his viewpoints mirror my own I made at a right-wing political website (where some of the Xtian posters were screaming anti-muslim rage)....

but as usual, he goes off on a tangent about humanity, and "compassion", and "not be a controversy", and of course "emotionalism" -much while spewing some interesting emotionalisms of his own making.

Brian... are you really that misguided in your worldview? Our species arose from conflict and strife, and most likely, Homo Sapiens Sapiens will END in conflict and strife as well. From my pov, what remains to be seen is if anyone around today has the sensibility to give rise to a better, more able species in the wake of their downfall -utilizing science, naturally.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Your fatalism

Brian37 wrote:
Your fatalism is exactly what humanity doesn't need more of.

Your misguided idealism is what our species has had enough of in the 20th century. You want  to do an imitation of Gandhi, do it with someone who believes that silly "no more violence!" crap.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote: Brian... are

Kapkao wrote:

Brian... are you really that misguided in your worldview? Our species arose from conflict and strife, and most likely, Homo Sapiens Sapiens will END in conflict and strife as well. From my pov, what remains to be seen is if anyone around today has the sensibility to give rise to a better, more able species in the wake of their downfall -utilizing science, naturally.

If we're smart, we'll just engineer ourselves to be better, via bionics, genetic engineering etc.

On the mosque issue, they should be allowed to.  If someone from a group does something stupid, it doesn't mean that the rest will.  Fundamentalists are the major problem, not everyone who subscribes to the faith.  Just like there are christians who deny evolution and despise homosexuality, there are christians who simply believe in something larger than themselves, but know not to restrict others' views. 

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Brian37

Kapkao wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

Your misguided idealism is what our species has had enough of in the 20th century. You want  to do an imitation of Gandhi, do it with someone who believes that silly "no more violence!" crap.

I didn't want to be that blunt but I suppose I can count on you for something.

Idealism < Realism

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: Ok, and how

Brian37 wrote:

Ok, and how do you propose we ban religion? Like Hitler and Stalin?

neither hitler nor stalin banned religion.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:The US is bad

robj101 wrote:

The US is bad enough with christianity, I do not see a real need to add the insanity of islam to the mix if we can help it, but we can't so your desire to see the letter of the law will be upheld, untill you virtually have a gun held to your head demanding praise to allah in the next 20-30 years I would suspect. It only took about 10 years in Britain but the U.S. is a big country.

what precisely happened in britain?  i mean, i've been there, even lived and studied there for a semester, and nobody demanded a confession of faith from me.  i mean, there are a lot of muslims in london (not so much in any of the cities i went to), and i often went through their communities.  they seemed like genial, urbane folks, and all the crazy, shouting protestors must have been somewhere else.  all the white, "real" english people went about their business and visited their churches in peace.  in fact, i wish more american cities were like london.

they had damn good restaurants too.  you could even order alcohol.

it doesn't matter what religion a person is or how violent their holy book tells them to be, history (including the history of islam) tells us that once a significant enough portion of the population gets firmly entrenched in the middle class, things turn real quick toward preserving the status quo.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
London seemed fine to me

iwbiek wrote:

what precisely happened in britain?  i mean, i've been there, even lived and studied there for a semester, and nobody demanded a confession of faith from me.  i mean, there are a lot of muslims in london (not so much in any of the cities i went to), and i often went through their communities.  they seemed like genial, urbane folks, and all the crazy, shouting protestors must have been somewhere else.  all the white, "real" english people went about their business and visited their churches in peace.  in fact, i wish more american cities were like london.

it doesn't matter what religion a person is or how violent their holy book tells them to be, history (including the history of islam) tells us that once a significant enough portion of the population gets firmly entrenched in the middle class, things turn real quick toward preserving the status quo.

I lived and worked in London for almost twenty years and would concur.

In fact, one of my happiest times was looking out the window of a Whitechapel Road pub during a long lunch and marvelling at the amazing variety of people who passed by the window, peacefully going about their business.

The harmony was very noticeable in the work environment too. Plenty of 'races', plenty of religions (but never mentioned) and no problems. Very middle class.

It is partly why I support the eventual inclusion of Turkey in the EU. People seem to go feral if left alone with poverty and ignorance. Socialising them seems to be the best solution.

They are all just people.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
v4ultingbassist wrote:If

v4ultingbassist wrote:
If we're smart, we'll just engineer ourselves to be better, via bionics, genetic engineering etc. 

Get away from me with your errant rationalism, you!

Actually, I think that's what I meant, basically, but if we replace all of our physical substance with something that's entirely artificial, can we honestly claim to be human, from that point onwards?

I guess that's kind of the whole "transhumanism" conceptualization that has arisen in recent times.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll reiterate something I demonstrated for Ragdish

iwbiek wrote:

To me, the only thing your "those who do not learn from history..." post demonstrates, is that non-middle-classed individuals should be barred from entry into more civilized, developed lands.

Or maybe your illustrative understanding of "history" is merely a bullshit attempt at endorsing the leftist's Global Village mantra.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:Kapkao

robj101 wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

I didn't want to be that blunt but I suppose I can count on you for something.

Idealism < Realism

Yeah, it's just terrible that our POVs on politics and life overlap so frequently -some people might think we had a little bromance going for us! '

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:Brian37

iwbiek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

You are right, let me restate that more accurately. Would you want to live under those rulers. They squashed all dissent, be it business, political or religious. So yea, religion did exist, but if it wasn't part of the ruling party, if it expected to survive, it kept it's mouth shut. That is what fascism is.

You cannot oppress people you disagree with, it only breeds resentment and paranoia and division. Islam in the east certainly is living in the past. But we cannot in the west lump all Muslims in with those who would do and want harm to come to the west. That is guilt by association.

Trying to treat all Muslims the same is absurd. It is one thing to challenge moderates to not enable the far right in their label. But that is no different than doing the same with any other label. What we should not do is become the very thing we say we hate in order to solve a problem.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:You cannot

Brian37 wrote:
You cannot oppress people you disagree with, it only breeds resentment and paranoia and division.

Last time I checked, no one is advocating oppression. Could be wrong, but unless we shift the discussion towards idiot white supremacists, I doubt it.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:iwbiek

Brian37 wrote:

iwbiek wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

You are right, let me restate that more accurately. Would you want to live under those rulers. They squashed all dissent, be it business, political or religious. So yea, religion did exist, but if it wasn't part of the ruling party, if it expected to survive, it kept it's mouth shut. That is what fascism is.

You cannot oppress people you disagree with, it only breeds resentment and paranoia and division. Islam in the east certainly is living in the past. But we cannot in the west lump all Muslims in with those who would do and want harm to come to the west. That is guilt by association.

Trying to treat all Muslims the same is absurd. It is one thing to challenge moderates to not enable the far right in their label. But that is no different than doing the same with any other label. What we should not do is become the very thing we say we hate in order to solve a problem.

Fight fire with fire?

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Can I just ask if there

is anyone here who would cheerfully live as an atheist in a majority muslim country?

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote:is

Atheistextremist wrote:

is anyone here who would cheerfully live as an atheist in a majority muslim country?

Yes, and I'm considering it as something of an expedition (in one that is stable and has freedom of religion).  I like to try living in new and interesting places- though I wouldn't want to raise children in such a place for any length of time.

The thing I do like about highly religious areas is that the atheist groups can be easier to find (and be more active- not necessarily politically, but socially).  Atheist groups are nowhere to be found in some countries, for example China, because it just wouldn't make any sense (being that almost everybody is).

When there isn't any religion to help distinguish between average people, and those supremely practiced in rational thinking, it's hard to meet the really good ones (although average people are less irritating, and it's really nice to be able to make friends with almost anybody off the street and know they aren't advocating scripture that tells them to convert and/or kill me).

That is to say, the milk is too homogeneous, and there's nothing to let the cream rise to the top.  Even though the milk in such religious countries is arguably soured, the little cream that does rise to the top is that much more fantastic for it.

Too many milk metaphors.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Warning - not for the lactose intolerant

Blake wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Yes, and I'm considering it as something of an expedition (in one that is stable and has freedom of religion).  I like to try living in new and interesting places- though I wouldn't want to raise children in such a place for any length of time.

The thing I do like about highly religious areas is that the atheist groups can be easier to find (and be more active- not necessarily politically, but socially).  Atheist groups are nowhere to be found in some countries, for example China, because it just wouldn't make any sense (being that almost everybody is).

When there isn't any religion to help distinguish between average people, and those supremely practiced in rational thinking, it's hard to meet the really good ones (although average people are less irritating, and it's really nice to be able to make friends with almost anybody off the street and know they aren't advocating scripture that tells them to convert and/or kill me).

That is to say, the milk is too homogeneous, and there's nothing to let the cream rise to the top.  Even though the milk in such religious countries is arguably soured, the little cream that does rise to the top is that much more fantastic for it.

Too many milk metaphors.

You should warn people about these things.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

v4ultingbassist
Science Freak
v4ultingbassist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Get away from

Kapkao wrote:

Get away from me with your errant rationalism, you!

Actually, I think that's what I meant, basically, but if we replace all of our physical substance with something that's entirely artificial, can we honestly claim to be human, from that point onwards?

I guess that's kind of the whole "transhumanism" conceptualization that has arisen in recent times.

Well, the issue becomes whether or not we can create non-biological self replicating materials.  Otherwise, it'll be biological based and we can still call ourselves human.  Hell, even if it isn't biological, we can still call ourselves human, because at that point we will be defining what our species is more so than evolution (though technically that may be what evolution leads to, so still evolutionary). 

Man, the future is gonna be awesome lol

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

Cheerfully? How about willfully?

As an apatheist, I'd say yes, because I've never had much use for booze and while I do enjoy pork sausage, it's a bit of a luxury to me considering that industrial agriculture is so rare over there and that Islam-approved meat is probably several times more healthy and (depending in part on the person who cooks it) possibly more tasty.

Most importantly, however...

It's pretty damn easy for someone like me to pay lip service to a God they have never really believed in, in the first place. That's one of the perks of apatheism, plus Islam, like xtianity but unlike Judaism, is always accepting new recruits.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Atheistextremist

Blake wrote:

Atheistextremist wrote:

Too many milk metaphors.

It's not necessarily difficult to find the intellectually talented, as opposed to the mundanely nontheistic. However, compelling rational thinkers to organize and form social circles is difficult in a place already nonreligious.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
  Let them build their

Let them build their mosque, then sometime later fly a couple of commercial sized ( Boeing B720 ) jet airliners into it  ...and watch it burn.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish wrote:  Let

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Let them build their mosque, then sometime later fly a couple of commercial sized ( Boeing B720 ) jet airliners into it  ...and watch it burn.

There was talk of spilling pigs blood on the soil.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:There was talk

robj101 wrote:

There was talk of spilling pigs blood on the soil.

I'm good with that, too...

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm, actually now I'm

Hmm, actually now I'm wondering if a common bag of pork rinds might come in handy, ready packaged muslim poison lol.

And then I found this little gem. http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/publius-forum/2010/06/those-poor-muslims-forced-to-sell-pork-rinds-in-chicago.html

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Yeah we had the pig's blood

thing thrown on a pre-mosque site in sydney. They built it anyway. I am always torn by the fact I think people should probably be allowed to live as they choose in line with the constitution, but realise the religious do not subscribe to these precepts for a single second. It's hard to like a person who secretly believes you are immoral and deserve eternal torment. The muslim imagination has made hell very interesting for the dhimmis and it's very hard not to be angry with them for it.

Then there's the invisibility of moderate islam. The only brave islamic moderate in the public eye is that muslim woman who's name I forget just now. She really is an impressive human being.

No doubt whatever, some muslims will be quietly delighted to be pegging new tents in the heartland of the great satan. 

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

thing thrown on a pre-mosque site in sydney. They built it anyway. I am always torn by the fact I think people should probably be allowed to live as they choose in line with the constitution, but realise the religious do not subscribe to these precepts for a single second. It's hard to like a person who secretly believes you are immoral and deserve eternal torment. The muslim imagination has made hell very interesting for the dhimmis and it's very hard not to be angry with them for it.

Then there's the invisibility of moderate islam. The only brave islamic moderate in the public eye is that muslim woman who's name I forget just now. She really is an impressive human being.

No doubt whatever, some muslims will be quietly delighted to be pegging new tents in the heartland of the great satan. 

For every true moderate in the public eye you could probably list a handfull of extremists. If they really want to stand up and denounce their extremist fellows thats fine but so few do and in fact many seem to applaud them.

Ill post this but you have likely seen it.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here is another that makes

Here is another that makes sense.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
RE: Atheist Extremist

I'm of the opinion that "Half-naked thrashings until age 17" (and the associated, life-long torment you mentioned in another thread) are revolting to no end to me, because you seem like a great person otherwise.

Parents oppressing their own children with violence and what have you... that's wrong regardless of creed, religion, nationality...