"A Thief In The Night"

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
"A Thief In The Night"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uovfj03KVY0

A Thief In The Night is some crazy Christian end times movie.

I left this comment on YouTube:

"lmao. Oh yes. I have been looking for this movie for a long time. I have not watched it since I was a child. It scared me so much, it made me cry. Funny how as a kid I could watch this crap, but I couldn't watch horror movies. Ahh, the joys of being raised in a Christian home. Thank God I am an atheist now and can laugh at this crap and clearly see it for the bullshit this is. Any parent who teaches their kids that hell is real and that the end times will happen is mentally abusing their kids."

After taking it all in though, I know that I can chuckle about it now, but I admit, I get goose bumps and I have not even watched it yet and I even had a tiny bit of tears. It's a disturbing reminder of the type of environment I grew up in. It really was child abuse. But I am going to watch this and stand-up to my childhood fears and see it for the joke it is. It's probably some cheesy, B-rated corny movie with bad acting.

I recall I use to have a fear of Alien abduction too, but last summer I watched two other movies that kept me up at night called "The UFO Incident" and "Communion". Both those movies are good, but the costumes the aliens wear are dated and laughable now. 

It just woul have been great if one of my parents could have told me all of this stuff was nonsense. But I became my own inner-parent years ago. I am grateful for sites like this. It's a comfort to know I am not the only one out there who was mentally abused by this stuff and that there are people who do care, that want to make a difference and stop this type of abuse.

Anyhow, sorry for the whining. It's a tough subject.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote:It really was

Zeeboe wrote:
It really was child abuse. But I am going to watch this and stand-up to my childhood fears and see it for the joke it is. It's probably some cheesy, B-rated corny movie with bad acting.

Well, I've just watched 10 minutes of this thing, and I'm still laughing. "Bad acting" doesn't even come close.

Like the other guy in the comments said, we should think of a more suitable title for this thing. Replace the soundtrack with something a little more cheerful, and you could call it "Goobye and good riddance !". Damn, that's a pretty good idea for a movie actually. I'll go write the screenplay right now.

Seriously, all christians disappear ? That's a feel-good movie.

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
Had to take care of some

Had to take care of some errands so I am just now watching this. Total B-rated hogwash so far. Apart of me just wants to slap myself (even if it was a long time and I was just a child)

for ever letting this freak me out, but I was like 7 or 8. That should tell you a lot about this movie: It's target audience were kids. I've talked to a few other folks over the years online about this very film and they too were scared by it growing up and some of them have told me they were made to watch this. So messed up and disturbing, but that's how it starts. Through the kids and it just goes on and on through generations. I think most adults (even some Christians) would see this movie for the B-rated trash it is and laugh at it. The producers only hope were going after us stupid children who will believe just about anything our parents tell us.

That church scene at the start is pretty realistic. Talking about the end of days and then followed by crappy and cheesy singing. That has always gone on in churches and always will. It's funny because when I was a Christian I use to see other people's beliefs as crazy, yet mine was totally sane. Now I see all of them as being insane. Seriously, churches are no different then madhouses but at least madhouses have guards there to keep the mentally ill in line and smack them if they get outta line....but I guess that is where the RRS comes in. You guys are the prison guards to the madhouses. (churches) Laughing out loud

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
You had to watch this as a

You had to watch this as a child?????  There just isn't a emoticon to express my feelings on the subject.  Between the lame dialog, really bad band, and the 70s hair - you have my total sympathy.

I went to church pretty regularly when I was 12-13.  We did plays and such.  I was in one - I asked to be Jezebel.  Played it for laughs.  Those plays were really silly - I thought so then, too.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
This movie scares me for

This movie scares me for whole new reasons now. The acting is truly horrible. It's like watching some Public Service video I have to watch at work sometimes or the stuff they showed us in school.

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
I got 2 minutes & 44 seconds

I got 2 minutes & 44 seconds into that when I decided to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as my savior, and then beg him for a quick death...

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
This is the sequel for the

This is the sequel for the curious - It was actually this film that freaked me out, especially the ending. There are quite a few Christians on these channels that actually believe this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxBLV0EUCUw

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote: There are

Zeeboe wrote:

There are quite a few Christians on these channels that actually believe this stuff.

Yeah, I noticed that. Funny how those movies always focus on the horrible faith of those "left behind", and never much on the celestial reward of the faithfull (which seems to consist of nothing more than gloating).

Makes me wonder, if you took sadism out of christianity, what would be left ?

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Scare tactics for idiots, a

Scare tactics for idiots, a favorite of religion.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote:This is the

Zeeboe wrote:

This is the sequel for the curious - It was actually this film that freaked me out, especially the ending. There are quite a few Christians on these channels that actually believe this stuff.

Yea armageddon as I would imagine it, a bunch of fukin zombies standing around quoting scripture. I can't think of a harsher more unbearable torture.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zeeboe wrote:This is the

Zeeboe wrote:

I'm having a hard time why anyone would be upset to be left behind.  I always thought heaven sounded incredibly boring. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Well, I've

Anonymouse wrote:

Well, I've just watched 10 minutes of this thing, and I'm still laughing. "Bad acting" doesn't even come close.

I know I kept waiting for the hard core sex scenes to start, but they never did.

Anonymouse wrote:

Seriously, all christians disappear ? That's a feel-good movie.

Party in Hell.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I saw this movie in 1973

When I was about 6. It seems funny and laughable now but it was child abuse then. I was a mess. For years after I used to come home from school and be terrified if I couldn't find my mother. Funnily, the minister of the brethren temple where I saw it saw me crying and took me off for a weird chat about how I knew I had sinned and I then had to kneel down and pray to Jesus and ask him to forgive me and henceforth be my personal friend. I think I was was born again on a weekly basis growing up.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

When I was about 6. It seems funny and laughable now but it was child abuse then. I was a mess. For years after I used to come home from school and be terrified if I couldn't find my mother. Funnily, the minister of the brethren temple where I saw it saw me crying and took me off for a weird chat about how I knew I had sinned and I then had to kneel down and pray to Jesus and ask him to forgive me and henceforth be my personal friend. I think I was was born again on a weekly basis growing up.

They showed that to you when you were 6 ?

Those were some very sick people.

Zeeboe
User is offlineOffline
That is pretty messed up. I

That is pretty messed up. I was seven when I saw it and it's amazing and sick how for generations this film has abused so many different people in their childhood. Freakin' Christians. It's what they do best.