Whooping cough is declared an epidemic in California

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Whooping cough is declared an epidemic in California

Does any one want to discuss this idiocy?  I don't know whether to nominate the parents for Darwin awards or spit.  Any suggestions?

PS - I got vaccinated as they became available, my children got all of theirs, and my grandson is fully vaccinated.  I told his dad, good, otherwise I would have done it when the grandson came to visit.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/whooping-cough-is-declared-an-epidemic-in-california-1828859/

After 910 cases of whooping cough that have left five babies dead, California has officially declared the outbreak an epidemic. If that isn’t bad enough, the case load is 400 percent higher this year than last, putting the state on track to break a 50-year record. With an additional 600 pertussis cases currently under investigation, officials believe things are about to get worse. Those most at risk? Unimmunized or incompletely immunized babies, whose lungs are still developing.

"Children should be vaccinated against the disease and parents, family members and caregivers of infants need a booster shot," California Department of Public Health director Dr. Mark Horton said Wednesday. A full regimen of pertussis vaccines includes shots at 15-18 months, along with a last round between 4-6 years. Additionally, health officials recommend additional booster shots at age 10 to 11.

According to Santa Clara Public Health Officer Marty Fenstersheib, the disease, which is a highly contagious infection of the respiratory system, poses a significant risk to young children, whose parents mistake its symptoms for common colds. How do you know if your kid has whooping cough? First signs include runny nose, sneezing, mild coughing and low-grade fever, which evolve after 1-2 weeks into a dry irritating coughing spells. Spells sometimes, but not always, end with the distinctive “whooping” sound.

Of course, this recent outbreak calls into question whether parents who choose not to vaccinate children could be to blame. According to Kidshealth.org, the advent of the pertussis vaccine reduced the annual whooping-cough deaths in the U.S. from between 5,000 and 10,000 people to just 30 a year. Now, like the measles resurgence in 2008, which targeted children whose parents had refused to have their kids inoculated, whooping cough is back on the rise. Last year, the number of whooping cough cases spiked past 25,000, the highest level it's been since the 1950s.

The debate around vaccinations has been especially contentious in the U.S in the last few years, as parent groups have rallied around the belief that vaccines can be linked to numerous ailments, including autism (a belief based on a study which has since been entirely retracted by the medical journal which first published it). Despite any hard proof, these groups persist in choosing not to vaccinate their children, a process which, Dr. Paul Offit says poses its own dangers, as detailed in last October’s issue of WIRED.

“The choice not to get a vaccine is not a choice to take no risk,” he says. “It’s just a choice to take a different risk, and we need to be better about saying, ‘Here’s what that different risk looks like.’ Dying of Hib meningitis is a horrible, ugly way to die.”

In the meantime, what can parents do?

• If you are worried that your kid might have whooping cough, see your pediatrician immediately.
  • While neither getting vaccinated nor surviving the illness provides lifetime immunity, kids from ages 11-18, whose immunity may have faded, can be given booster shots.
  • Because the disease is highly contagious (experts believe that 80 percent of non-immunized family members will develop whooping cough if they live in the same house as someone who has the infection) anyone who comes into close contact with someone who has pertussis should receive antibiotics to prevent spread of the disease.
  • In addition, young kids who were given an incomplete immunization might require a booster dose if exposed to an infected family member.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
 I live in a new age woo

I live in a new age woo zone which has one of the lowest vaccination rates in Australia.

Does California have a similar demographic?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dude, California is the

Dude, California is the largest woo zone in the US.  Which may not be strictly the best way to look at it as it is one of the most densely populated and most populated of the 50 states, so it get to be the biggest of quite a lot of things.  Still, if you are looking for much woo, you could do worse than to check out California.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Dude, California is the largest woo zone in the US.  Which may not be strictly the best way to look at it as it is one of the most densely populated and most populated of the 50 states, so it get to be the biggest of quite a lot of things.  Still, if you are looking for much woo, you could do worse than to check out California.

It seems to me that three kinds of families don't vaccinate their children.  The woo people - vaccinations are evil because they are not natural.  The conspiracy people - who are generally more conservative - the US government and the pharmaceutical companies are in cahoots to make more money by damaging our children with dangerous and needless vaccines.  And the ignorant can't think their way out of a paper sack people - they heard someone on tv or the internet or at their church and they are certain that immunizations are against scripture or cause autism or give children the disease they are supposedly being vaccinated against.  Kid you not on that last one.

I have never lived in California, so I can not speak for the proportion of woo there.  Yeah, during the 60s and 70s there were a lot of nutcases, but it seems to me that the political climate has been swinging to the right ever since Reagan.  I can speak for north of CA.  We have all kinds here, but the biggest group seems to be #3.

Also note that while CA may have 900-1500 cases or more, they have only had 5 confirmed deaths.  Over 25,000 cases of pertussis last year in the US means there is plenty of idiocy spread around.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: Does any one here want to discuss this idiocy

This kind of shit really pisses me off,the children pay with their lives,cause of the stupidity of their parents.I'm glad that my brother and his wife does not want any children,cause they think that vaccinations causes autism,and his wife is one of people that belongs to Mensa so I guess that that means she knows(yeah right).I remember that one night I was watching the Larry King show(some times he has a good panel discussion with opposing guest and he had Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey on talking about vaccinations and the problems that they cause,they had their doctor there agreeing with them.Tell me "WTF is the problem with a lot of people" ?   PS, I was just reading your last post and I guess that a lot of people fit into those 3 types.

Signature ? How ?