original sin

liberatedatheist
atheistScience Freak
liberatedatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
original sin

quick little practice in logic: adam and eve committed the original sin by going against God's word and eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Eating the fruit of the tree i assume gave them knowledge of good and evil. So it is implied that beforehand they did not know what is good and what is evil. so how can they have known that god is good and they going against his word is evil until after they ate the fruit. so really the original sin was carried out in ignorance. doesnt seem very fair to me or is God allowed to punish you for sins you did not know you were committing?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216

Lee2216 wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:

We can't scientifically prove or disprove God because God is immaterial. On the other hand God can be proven by using reason and logic. There is tons of evidence for the existence of God but atheists don't use any logic or reason at all. We can scientifically prove that the universe had a beginning 14 billion years ago. Either God created it or He didn't. A logical and reasonable statement would be "something can't come from nothing." An illogical and unreasonable statement would be "something can come from nothing." Our faith is not blind as atheists claim.

By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was made not out of what was visible.  Hebrews 11:3

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who come to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him. Hebrews 11:6

You don't remember writing this? Yet you state you have given a scientific explanation. Contradiction after contradiction. Teh, teh, teh. Before you post your rants go back and read your own post. There is no scientific information for god. Theres quite possibly no scientific information that he doesn't exist. So how do you go about using science for someone nonexistant? And you wanna talk about logic? Ha!

Again, you guys love to cherry pick rather than read in context. I said you can prove God exists using reason and logic. I never said science proves that God exists, I said science can give us good evidence for the existence of God. Your argument is nothing more than a straw man.

Looks like she hit send before she had a chance to respond to one of your quotes. Or your being a disingenuous twat.

I also see that you've had a good time ignoring what I showed you.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:The works in

Lee2216 wrote:
The works in this verse refer only to Christians. The Christian who shares the gospel with many people will have more rewards than a Christian who only shares the gospel with just a few.

Ooohh? So you believe that faith in Christ determines whether or not you will go to heaven, and your works determine the quantity and/or quality of your rewards in heaven?

For example, if Hitler went to heaven, he'd get a little shack right next to the pearly gates. Martin Luther King Jr., on the other hand, will get a mansion at the top of a hill.

Okay, what's your evidence for this assertion?

Lee2216 wrote:
Cherry picker!! If read in context, the verses are referring to Christians, not unbelievers.

Maybe. It seems rather ambiguous to me.

If it is, it doesn't really matter. I'm not talking about unbelievers either, lol. The question is whether works matters for salvation i.e. can a person be saved with only faith. Unbelievers don't have faith, so they clearly can't be saved. (which I also find immoral) Ergo, we're talking about the difference between people who professedly have faith that do good works and that don't do good works.

Lee2216 wrote:
The judgement seat of Christ involves believers giving an account of their lives to Christ. The judgement seat of Christ does not determine salvation, that was determined by Christ's sacrifice on our behalf.

Okay. Do you have evidence for that?

Lee2216 wrote:
Again, nice cherry pickin'!! You have to read verses 14-26 to understand the context of what James is saying. James begins this section by using the example of someone who says he has faith, verse 14. He immediately gives an example of what true and false faiths are. He begins with the negative and demonstrates what an empty faith is, verses 15-17. The he gives an example of the type of faith that isn't that much different from the faith of demons, verse 19. Finally, he gives examples of living faith by showing Abraham and Rahab as the type of people who demonstrated their faith by deeds.

Oh, this is better if I post 14-26.

James 2:14-26

14What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Um, this seems to imply what you're arguing against. It even says, "can faith save him?" with the succeeding verses stamping an adamant "no." It's saying that you can't be saved with only faith, which is what it means when it says faith without works is dead. You also need works to get salvation.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:BobSpence1

Lee2216 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

rebecca.williamson wrote:
Wrong am I? Mine is logical because I don't believe in fairy tales. Are the Cinderella or Snow White stories true? No they aren't. It's also logical to me since each and every one of you Christians have a different take on the bible. One will say this is what the ot says while another will say the nt is the correction of the ot. Yet you all say you know god and he speaks to you. It's rediculous really. If there was a hell, everyone is going. Look, I know you think our thoughts are irrational but sit back and take a good hard look at your own. I'd have to say we have far more proof than you or any other Christian. FAITH IS NOT PROOF!

Where is your evidence that God and Christianity is a fairy tale? I'm waiting! Yes, your thoughts are irrational and illogical! The bible says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." We know the universe had a beginning. We know this because science can tell us. Science and the bible are not mutually exclusive as the atheists like to claim. I have given you logical scientific evidence. Where is your scientific evidence that God doesn't exist?

Except that the Earth wasn't 'created' till well after the stars formed. 

Light existed right from the beginning, the Earth didn't. There were no 'waters', no 'deep', till well after the earth cooled.

Dry land existed before the waters.

Life appeared in the seas long before it emerged onto dry land. Genesis has it the other way round.

It has birds being formed before the land animals, also wildly wrong.Genesis has the stars (ie the rest of the Universe) being created after land plants, which is also wildly wrong.

The moon is only in the night sky an average of 50% of the time, not so good for something supposed to provide the light at night.

IOW Genesis is so wildly in conflict with science in so many ways, it is ignorant bull-shit to claim it is harmony with science.

Genesis alone is sufficient to destroy any credibility the Bible might have had.

Science tells us that the universe had a beginning. The bible tells us we had a beginning. And this is conflicting? How come everybody on this site keeps avoiding the origins question? Because you all know the bible is right thats why. Did you learn this nonsense from your atheist college professors? It is ignorant to pay good money to be lied to.

I did not say there was a conflict between science and the bible about the idea it had a beginning, although there are theories about a wider universe within which the Big Bang event occurred, which include ideas that the greater reality may not have had a beginning.

But even a whole slew of agreements, especially such simple ones about whether or not our Universe had a beginning, make up for a whole bunch of very specific conflicts, which I listed, and you did not even try to address. That is a totally illogical, dishonest response.

Are you claiming all those things I listed are 'nonsense"? They all are in reference to specific verses in Genesis. I assumed you were sufficiently familiar with Genesis to know what I was referring to in each case. Do you want me to list the verse in each case?

Or don't you accept the science which conflicts with Genesis in each case? Do you only accept science when it agrees with your beliefs?

Or are you simply avoiding the questions? You hypocrite.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
You say you can prove God

You say you can prove God using reason and logic but you haven't done so.

You haven't even taken on my points yet so I doubt if you can actually do what you're claiming.

either prove God with reason and logic or admit that your mouth wrote a check that your butt can't cash and move on.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
As I stated before Lee, I

As I stated before Lee, I believe I'm done talking to you until you can stop contradicting yourself, educate yourself further, and stop twisting the bible verses around to mean what you need them to.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not for the first time, I am

Not for the first time, I am genuinely becoming uncomfortable with the possibility we are beating up on a child, or worse...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Not for the

BobSpence1 wrote:

Not for the first time, I am genuinely becoming uncomfortable with the possibility we are beating up on a child, or worse...

He came on here in a confrontational manner. As far as I'm concerned - if he is a child he grew up fast.

— George Carlin

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Probably a 16 or 17 year

Probably a 16 or 17 year old. They think they know everything but don't know their butts from a hole in the ground.

If all the Christians who have called other Christians " not really a Christian " were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left.

harleysportster
atheist
harleysportster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Odd

Odd how so many theists use electricity, microwave ovens, drive cars that were built and designed, take antibiotics and medicine, use computers, consult physicians, trust their refrigerators to work,  and accept the idea of defying gravity by means of flight, all of which were given to us by science.

But then they say that science should stay out of matters of faith cause it can not be proven.

But, if an old parchment or an old tomb is uncovered that they claim proves a biblical reference, who do they call ? The scientists.

When a particular "miracle" is supposed to occur, who do they call to verify if it can be miraculous ? The scientists.

But when it comes to proving the existence of an immaterial substance that exists outside of space and time,simultaneously loves us while condemning us forever, is personally spending time with each and every one of us to determine if our needs are met, and can bend the laws of physics if I pray to it hard enough, then they wish to say that scientists can not have an opinion on this because their theology is "above" science.

They are not above using bunk versions of it when it suits their needs (i.e. some of these creationist websites) but for the most part they want science to keep it's explanations away from their dogma.

Hmm, very odd.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I did not

BobSpence1 wrote:
I did not say there was a conflict between science and the bible about the idea it had a beginning, although there are theories about a wider universe within which the Big Bang event occurred, which include ideas that the greater reality may not have had a beginning.

But even a whole slew of agreements, especially such simple ones about whether or not our Universe had a beginning, make up for a whole bunch of very specific conflicts, which I listed, and you did not even try to address. That is a totally illogical, dishonest response.

Are you claiming all those things I listed are 'nonsense"? They all are in reference to specific verses in Genesis. I assumed you were sufficiently familiar with Genesis to know what I was referring to in each case. Do you want me to list the verse in each case?

Or don't you accept the science which conflicts with Genesis in each case? Do you only accept science when it agrees with your beliefs?

I've been sick with the flu and finally feeling a lot better. So no, I'm not avoiding your questions Bob. You have no reason to call me a hypocrite. I can accept science that conflicts with the bible. I don't deny at all that there are some conflicts, but that doesn't mean the bible is not true. All that means is that current science has no way to explain it or there are still some problems. We have only two possible choices. The creation account is true or it's not true. The order in which things were created is really irrelevant anyway. Nobody was there at the moment of creation other than God. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth is an unambiguous statement. I just can't understand for the life of me why the atheist denies this fact.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-His eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20 The scriptures says you have no excuse Bob!

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:You say you

jcgadfly wrote:

You haven't even taken on my points yet so I doubt if you can actually do what you're claiming.

either prove God with reason and logic or admit that your mouth wrote a check that your butt can't cash and move on.

He has given you plenty of evidence, you just choose to disbelieve.

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:jcgadfly

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

He has given you plenty of evidence, you just choose to disbelieve.

I love that cop out.

"I really don't have evidence and if I just pull something out from between my gluteals he'll probably call me on it. I know! I'll say that all the evidence is there but he's such an evil, hateful atheist that he denies what's in front of him because he's in rebellion against God. that covers my lack of knowledge and protects God too. I'm such a good Christian."

Sorry, bubbles. If you can't do what you claim to be able to do, admit it. Honesty from a Christian would be refreshing.

— George Carlin

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Ooohh? So

butterbattle wrote:
Ooohh? So you believe that faith in Christ determines whether or not you will go to heaven, and your works determine the quantity and/or quality of your rewards in heaven?

For example, if Hitler went to heaven, he'd get a little shack right next to the pearly gates. Martin Luther King Jr., on the other hand, will get a mansion at the top of a hill. Okay, what's your evidence for this assertion?

The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they each will be rewarded according to their own labor. 1 Corinthians 3:8

Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with Me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. Revelation 22:12

Lee2216 wrote:
The judgement seat of Christ involves believers giving an account of their lives to Christ. The judgement seat of Christ does not determine salvation, that was determined by Christ's sacrifice on our behalf.

butterbattle wrote:
Okay. Do you have evidence for that?

For we all must appear before the judgement seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done in the body, whether good or bad. 2 Corinthians 5:10

butterbattle wrote:
You also need works to get salvation.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:I love that

jcgadfly wrote:
I love that cop out.

"I really don't have evidence and if I just pull something out from between my gluteals he'll probably call me on it. I know! I'll say that all the evidence is there but he's such an evil, hateful atheist that he denies what's in front of him because he's in rebellion against God. that covers my lack of knowledge and protects God too. I'm such a good Christian."

Sorry, bubbles. If you can't do what you claim to be able to do, admit it. Honesty from a Christian would be refreshing.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - His eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20 Here's your evidence right here! You have NO EXCUSE jc!

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The Sacred Books says so it must be so

Lee2216 wrote:

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-His eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20 The scriptures says you have no excuse Bob!

The scriptures say we have no excuse eh ? Oh wow, I am all backed up into a corner with that one. NOT

The Koran clearly states that you are an infidel, it says so right there in the Koran, you have no excuse Lee, either Allah is or Allah is not. Either you stand for the principles of Islam or you are their enemy.

The Christian Identity movement plainly states that it is written in Scripture when Jesus spoke to the Jewish people that he was referring to them as the Children of the Devil. So therefore, if you deny this tenet of Christianity, you are denying the truth of what the God says. God, according to their tenets, from the same Bible that you use, is only interested in the white, non-jewish, races of people and  failure to embrace this makes you one of the enemy. You have no exuse Lee, it's right there in the Bible, you either stand with Christian Identity or you do not.

Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas is impatient for this country to be destroyed because of it's sexual lifestyle and the fact that gay people are a part of the culture. Unless you believe that everyone in this country deserves to die for this "sin" they would tell you that you are not following god. Your either for the Westboro Baptist Church or against. You have no choice Lee, you have to make a stand.

50/50 False Dichotomy= No Real Guarantee of truth.

The same weakness with Pascal's wager.

“It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.”
― Giordano Bruno

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Then why a crucifixion ?

Lee2216 wrote:

For we all must appear before the judgement seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done in the body, whether good or bad. 2 Corinthians 5:10

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Well if that is all true, then the idea of a crucifixion, death and resurrection was a totally pointless waste of time.

― Giordano Bruno

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:He came on

jcgadfly wrote:
He came on here in a confrontational manner. As far as I'm concerned - if he is a child he grew up fast.

I'm a soldier for Jesus Christ! Amen! I come here to proclaim the truth of God's word. This is a spiritual war! I come here to confront the lies and propaganda you spew! Satan hates the truth!

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:BobSpence1

Lee2216 wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I've been sick with the flu and finally feeling a lot better. So no, I'm not avoiding your questions Bob. You have no reason to call me a hypocrite. I can accept science that conflicts with the bible. I don't deny at all that there are some conflicts, but that doesn't mean the bible is not true. All that means is that current science has no way to explain it or there are still some problems. We have only two possible choices. The creation account is true or it's not true. The order in which things were created is really irrelevant anyway. Nobody was there at the moment of creation other than God. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth is an unambiguous statement. I just can't understand for the life of me why the atheist denies this fact.

There is zero evidence for the Universe being anything like described in Genesis. So without such evidence, there is zero reason to take Genesis seriously.

We do have an explanation for the account in Genesis - it is a mashup of origin myths from earlier cultures, which in turn were a mix of even earlier ideas and some of their own ideas, and so on.

None of these ideas were based on the detailed observation we have available now, and were not testable with the resources of the time, so were essentially just speculation, coming up with ideas which made sense within the more limited knowledge of their time.

If the creation account is not true, then there are an infinite number of alternative options, not just one, including all the origin stories of other cultures around the world. Science goes with whatever can be tested and is consistent with all other established theories.

That initial statement itself may be unambiguous, but it is flat out wrong - the Earth formed billions of years after the Universe itself, so the heavens, at least the stars, which means the rest of the Universe apart from the Sun and Moon and the rest of our solar system, were in existence long before the Earth. Actually there is an ambiguity as to exactly what is meant by 'the heavens'. I made the simplest assumption.

The order of creation is definitely crucial - you can't have green plants without the Sun, for example.

Noone can see anything directly and unambiguously pointing to the nature of God, not even whether he is 'good' or not.

What can be clearly seen is the willingness of many people to see what they want to, or expect to see.

The scriptures have no inherent validation, I could care less what some guy wrote a few thousand years ago. What is your excuse for accepting such crap without proof?

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
harleysportster

harleysportster wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

Well if that is all true, then the idea of a crucifixion, death and resurrection was a totally pointless waste of time.

Why do you believe that?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:
I love that cop out.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities - His eternal power and divine nature - have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20 Here's your evidence right here! You have NO EXCUSE jc!

Good thing for you I don't listen to Paul of Tarsus - the architect of your religion and the creator of the God you serve.

Oh, and I see you still have no evidence or intention of proving your God by reason and logic as you claim you can.

How much trouble do you intend to let yourself get into?

— George Carlin

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Truer words

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

I'm a soldier for Jesus Christ! Amen! I come here to proclaim the truth of God's word. This is a spiritual war! I come here to confront the lies and propaganda you spew! Satan hates the truth!

Truer words from the "religion of love and peace" and it's real intentions have never been spoken more plainly.

― Giordano Bruno

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

1. You're engaging yourself in a battle to save my soul but you act like you don't really give a damn about me coming over to your side. some soldier you are.

2. What truth can you proclaim from a book that neither you nor your God can follow?

3. With soldiers like you, the war is lost.

$. Congratulations! You managed to tell a half truth! You are here to confront, that much is certain. Whether your lies and propaganda are appealing enough to replace facts and evidence remains to be seen.

4. If Satan hates the truth, then he loves you more than you probably know.

— George Carlin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:The one who

Lee2216 wrote:
The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they each will be rewarded according to their own labor. 1 Corinthians 3:8

Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with Me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. Revelation 22:12

Lee2216 wrote:

Lee2216 wrote:

Ooohh, nice. In context, "we" is referring to Christians i.e. those that are already saved, right? 

But, what about James 2:14-26 that I posted in my previous response?

And what about these? These don't seem to be just talking about the rewards of the saved either.

"When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die. Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive." Ezekiel 18:26-27

"Except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:20

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:For since the

Lee2216 wrote:

I have an excuse. I don't believe claims made by the Bible until they are corroborated by evidence.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Any eternal aspects of

Any eternal aspects of anything can never be perceived by mortal finite beings.

What we see are definitely very finite and flawed things, and include many things which are fundamentally antithetical to us, such as many disease bacteria, viruses, and parasites.

Only looking at reality throughly scrunched-up eyes can 'see' the world as divine in any sense, you need to blind yourself to all these evils manifest in nature.

If there is a supreme being, the evidence all around us is that he is either a very confused being, or deliberately out to treat us as playthings to amuse himself, by alternately holding out promises, then laughing as he throws a tsunami at us, or a plague of viral disease, or whatever takes his fancy.

rebecca.williamson
atheist
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

War? Hmmm....always seems to be an evil word like war thrown in as chritians scream they are trying to spread the word of god because god told them to. Sounds like they're trying to recruit for the army of god. None of which makes me want to enlist.

Or is this a war against us atheists? I've been accused of being a satanist on this site so let me tell you what the meaning of theist is for me.....

T- take

H-heed

e-everyone

i-it's

s-satans

t-tagalong.

In short, I'm not a satanist but I think possibly you guys are. None of which even have the same views on christianity or any other religion for that matter. You all get the meanings in the bible twisted and you quote scriptures to meaning something totally different from what the last theist told me it meant. I've said this before on this site, I was always told by my grandmother and mostly my deranged mother that satan is the author of confusion. Kinda funny looking back because for years I let that woman confuse me a lot. I'm now convinced that if there  actually is a satan, she is it.

Same goes here. You all have different versions, some get so upset that they resort to name calling, exposing people on here, and even saying the most evil things about an atheists children. How can they claim to be spreading the word of god and then turn around to be the first one s to verbally, emotionally, and mentally attack someone simply because we won't buy their line of shit? The way the majority of theist come here and try to "debate" is very confusing to me. Especially those who end up doing the insulting I just mentioned. I don't like the confusion nor the degrading I've received from a few theists on here just because I don't agree with them or even correct them when I know they are wrong. It's childish somewhat but more so evil in my book.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

You have to do more than 'proclaim' something as 'the truth' to convince anyone here, especially when all the actual evidence points to it being a being a bunch of mythological nonsense.

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Lee2216 wrote:I'm a soldier

Lee2216 wrote:

Please feel free to name one non-Biblical source, that is not merely faith based, that will back up any of the outrageous claims that you are making. Any source that  you would like to name would be a good starting point.

― Giordano Bruno

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Crikey

Lee2216 wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

What can you say to this? A soldier for jesus. Somehow those 2 words don't fit together all that well.

Spiritual war. There are no spirits and so they cannot make war.

Satan hates the truth. There's no proof of satan's existence - this is just drivel. For ever and ever, amen.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Lee2216
Theist
Lee2216's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Good thing

jcgadfly wrote:
Good thing for you I don't listen to Paul of Tarsus - the architect of your religion and the creator of the God you serve.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Lee,Do you remember when I

Lee,

Do you remember when I asked you not to add context to what Paul wrote and instead work from his writings?

This vid doesn't do that. Paul's ideas are Paul's alone - this is why Paul refers to what he preaches as "my gospel". Yes I know that there are numerous sites that pull from the gospels and say that Paul is preaching the gospel of Jesus. Remember, those gospels were written at least 20 years after Paul's body of work was complete and written by Pauline converts with Paul's work in front of them.

It is also a great example of circular reasoning - "Paul preached a gospel of fact because Paul said he did."

The 2 Peter passage he mentions is also likely pseudoepigraphical - someone put Peter's name on his work to give it credibility (probably a Pauline convert from the 2nd century AD - the Pauline religion was officially called "Christianity" by then).

— George Carlin

N I N E
User is offlineOffline
Original Sin

Ok so this all knowing, all seeing deity, after asking "who" gave you the apple... OK, Let's count,...... God, Adam, Eve, Serpent, er.... 4!.  Obviously in the 6 days of making the Earth then having a nap he may, as we were made in his image, have needed a Police Force (Department) to work it out for him. Because as, he later turned out to be a megalomanic, psychotically challenged, ethnic cleansing, pillaging, accessory to mass murder,  bloody psychopath, one may have thought that one or more of these traits just-may-have-been-passed on. Proof of the pudding happened when his grandson ( well, yes, he created him didn't he)?, Cain, then went on to murder his brother, bit of bad workmanship going on there I think. But, what I have difficulty with, is that El Goddo awarded  us the sin, in perpetuity, because of something, some ignorant, backward, superstitious, desert nomads did (supposedly) thousands of years ago and buggerall to do with me jack.  Does that not mean that  he then had the power all along to just forgive us, (a txt or email,......... U R 4given, luv god x),. Nope, not a bit of it, more blood and sacrifice is needed, I know.......I !!!!, will make make the ultimate sacrifice, I will send........somebody else..... to die for me. (Ever tried running for office mate).

No Intervention No Evidence (NINE) 999999999999999

Composer
User is offlineOffline
Original Sin story book BS

IN SHORT... Jews do not believe in the existence of Original Sin. The concept of Original Sin simply states that because Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden, they brought Death into the world. Every human being dies because Adam and Eve committed a sin, and for their sin, all humans are punished with death. However, the Bible describes something entirely different. Adam and Eve were kicked out of the Garden of Eden because if they remained, they could eat the fruit of the Tree of Life, which would make them IMmortal. If Adam and Eve had to eat the fruit of the Tree of Life to become IMmortal, then they were created mortal to begin with. They did not bring Death into the world, and we don't die because they sinned. As a matter of Biblical fact, the answer to Question One shows that one person cannot die as the punishment for the sins committed by another. We die because Death is a natural part of existence, and has been since from the moment the first human beings were created. That is why God told the animals, before Adam and Eve ate the fruit from The Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil, to be fruitful and to multiply, since they needed to replace themselves. God also told the same thing to Adam and Eve before they ate that fruit as well. 

(Source: http://whatjewsbelieve.org/)

Composer: Successful Religion Buster!

HeWhoNeverWas
HeWhoNeverWas's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think what a lot of people

I think what a lot of people don't notice is that God forbids them from eating the fruit because they'll die, while the serpent tells them the exact opposite. What we are told next is that God kicks them out of heaven and proves the serpent right. In this case, the Bible points out God as a liar.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Well, they do die

Well, they do die eventually.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mellestad wrote:Well, they

mellestad wrote:

Well, they do die eventually.

Gen 2:17 (KJV)

"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

I don't see an "eventually" or a "spiritually" in there, do you? Those are the popular interpretations that folk made up.

Come on theists, defend your God. Tell me that "Thus saith the Lord" doesn't mean that anymore.

— George Carlin

Aramar the Black
User is offlineOffline
The Flood

So, God created these people. They sinned, and that original sin has stuck around. I'd assumed that was because sin was now inherent in humans, but perhaps it's simply a mystical force inherent in the world. In the case of the former (and perhaps the latter), why did God not just destroy ALL humans in the great flood, rather than keeping around a family; one possible of sin, or at least of passing sin on? Why not start with a clean slate? After all, "the Lord said, 'I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them.'"

If Noah was blameless (and perhaps thus untainted by sin), then why does (original) sin persist? If his sons or anyone else on the ark could taint furture human kind with the unhappy corruption of sin, then why were they allowed to live?
If sin is a mystical force brought into the world when the fruit was eaten, then why stop at a big flood and simply redo the whole earth and firmament? All it took was some words and six days, yeah?

Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth - Henry David Thoreau

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Disobeying God may have been

Disobeying God may have been a 'sin', but it was not necessarily evil or even an immoral thing to do.

If disobedience to an authority figure is automatically wrong, we should have let Hitler's deputies off because they were "just following orders".

harleysportster
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Aramar the Black wrote:So,

Aramar the Black wrote:

So, God created these people. They sinned, and that original sin has stuck around. I'd assumed that was because sin was now inherent in humans, but perhaps it's simply a mystical force inherent in the world. In the case of the former (and perhaps the latter), why did God not just destroy ALL humans in the great flood, rather than keeping around a family; one possible of sin, or at least of passing sin on? Why not start with a clean slate? After all, "the Lord said, 'I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them.'"

If Noah was blameless (and perhaps thus untainted by sin), then why does (original) sin persist? If his sons or anyone else on the ark could taint furture human kind with the unhappy corruption of sin, then why were they allowed to live?
If sin is a mystical force brought into the world when the fruit was eaten, then why stop at a big flood and simply redo the whole earth and firmament? All it took was some words and six days, yeah?

Of course,  you could look at it this way. If god knows everything, including what a person is going to do before they do it, then god already knew that the flood was not going to accomplish anything, knew that his son dying on the cross was not going to be widely believed, knew that Adam and Eve were going to bite the apple and let all of these things happen anyway.

The clever cop out that many  theists  will try to use is the one about man's free will is what causes all the problems. But when you really examine that notion in detail you see how absurd that it is.

This goes back to the same  quote from Epicurus :

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

God could not possibly be the creator of all and lay the blame at all of the evils in the world at the feet of the very creations he made.

If a painting is lousy, do you blame the paint or the painter for instance ?

If you buy a watch and it can not keep the proper time, would you blame the watch or look to the manufacturer ?

I can not understand why so many theists can not see that if they view humanity (god's creation) as horribly as they do, then it would only be reasonable that it would be a direct result of the fact that the god is horrible.

If god was indeed good and only wanted what was best for his creations, why did he not just get it right the first time rather than having to destroy the whole world ?

― Giordano Bruno

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
But God is, by definition,

But God is, by definition, good, so all these problems you raise are simply due to our inability to comprehend him... D'uh.

You must never even entertain the simple option, where all these difficulties disappear, that he does not exist. Or perhaps he does, but is he just gets if off by teasing and torturing us.

Composer
User is offlineOffline
Story book god lied to Adam & Eve

lrg644 wrote:
  Whether they knew the difference between good and evil doesn't matter.

Of course it matters considerably!

Not informing them what Good or Evil is, denied them an informed choice.

lrg644 wrote:
 God told them not to do it,

When did this story book god tell Eve ' not to partake of the forbidden tree? '