Go Kepler planet finder!!!

Indiana Cajones
Indiana Cajones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Go Kepler planet finder!!!

Data was released from the Kepler telescope's first 43 days of operation yeilding 750 planetary candidates. Not all will be actual planets owing to false positives from star spots, binaries and other factors but you can bet your boots there are a bunch. My basis for skepticism has always been based largely on Astronomy. Tell me it makes sense that Yaweh created the cosmos then waited 13.7 billion years at least to choose a group of scruffy goat herding primates on a tiny planet lost in an unimaginably vast universe to be the chosen people! Alrighty then!

x
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Uranus

Alas, even if intelligent life were to be found deep in Uranus, it wouldn't faze the hardliners too much.

Just one more place to send missionaries to.

Still, I strongly agree that anything that undermines anthropocentrism makes it harder for them.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
x wrote: Alas, even if

x wrote:

Alas, even if intelligent life were to be found deep in Uranus, it wouldn't faze the hardliners too much.

Just one more place to send missionaries to.

Quote:

Still, I strongly agree that anything that undermines anthropocentrism makes it harder for them.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)