Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Evil Boy Thrown out of Evangelical Church for Singing

Singer 'given ultimatium to quit' Australia's Got Talent show

• June 17, 2010 5:34PM
  Taylor Henderson, Dannii Minogue

Singer Taylor Henderson pictured with Australia's Got Talent judge Dannii Minogue / Channel 7 Source: HWT Image Library

A SINGER who found overnight success after entering a TV talent contest has been embroiled in claims the church he grew up in tried to force him to quit stardom.

Australia's Got Talent finalist Taylor Henderson, 17, was given an ultimatum to quit the show or be banished from the Geelong Revival Centre, it was revealed yesterday.

It is believed Pastor Noel Hollins told Taylor to choose between the church and his place on the Channel 7 reality show.

"He was given some options and made decisions and he's a free person," Pastor Hollins said yesterday.

"He had the opportunity to make his own decision and that's all there is to it."

News of the ultimatum surfaced less than 24 hours after Taylor and his father Cameron surged to stardom in Tuesday night's Australia's Got Talent grand final.

Cameron, 42, was runner-up to Sydney-based dance group Justice Crew, while Taylor won enough nationwide votes to finish third.

The pair were at the family's Ceres property yesterday coming to grips with their stardom as music industry offers began pouring in.

Even the Geelong Advertiser was contacted by a company hopeful of signing Cameron to a contract.

The Hendersons declined to comment on the controversy, instead choosing to focus on their careers.

However, a former Geelong Revival Centre member who wished to remain anonymous, yesterday revealed details on the saga.

"Three weeks ago, he was marched to the pastor's office and given an ultimatum: give up the competition or don't attend the church and he chose the competition," he said.

"Australia's Got Talent  is considered worldly, a way of making a living. Certain careers in Geelong Revival Centre are not considered ethical or spiritual.

"It's unlikely for a lawyer to be part of the Geelong Revival Centre ... careers for women are frowned upon. This church is divided. It divides people and families."

Word on Taylor's plight spread quickly on an internet forum developed by ex-members of the Geelong Revival Centre.

One person, known as Brett, said the decision to banish Taylor was poor.

"How utterly typical. Will Noel ever realise that he has pretty much single-handedly killed the moving of the Spirit in the GRC?"

"Taylor and Cameron have that talent or gift, why not use it and share it with those less fortunate."

http://www.news.com.au/national/singer-given-ultimatium-to-quit-australias-got-talent-show/story-e6frfkvr-1225881022589

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
They should have stoned

They should have stoned him.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now see, this is where the

Now see, this is where the right wingers would be wrong who have falsely accused me of hating wealth. I don't hate wealth. This guy got lucky, if he hadn't been born with a good voice, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere near what he did. He also got lucky, because there are far more people with good voices who wont make it that far.

Having said that, this is all the more reason to ignore the superstitious bullshit claimants of the super natural spew. Why should this guy give one rats ass about getting kicked out of a comic book club full of credulous invisible friend worshipers?

Yes, we should give to charity and those less fortunate. But it doesn't require everyone living in poverty to prove ourselves. And I think it is abhorrent to try to emotionally blackmail someone into anything. Having more than others is not a crime. It only becomes a crime when it becomes a point of judgment and a point of hording.

Fuck these assholes.

"Hard work" is a myth. For everyone who "makes it" there are far more who do as much or more that don't get lucky. It is as much your luck as it is your ability. I find it ironic that people say "hard work" but play the lottery and the winners quit their jobs. No one is out to "work hard". Everyone tends to put in more effort and time into things they enjoy. Even the work ethic is something someone enjoys by itself as it's own reward.

Completely off topic, I know. But it still bugs me that people think that title and label make one morally superior to others. Belonging to a Church only means you belong to a church, it doesn't make you the father of this contestant, nor does it make him wrong for wanting something for himself.

Kudos to this guy and I am happy for him and his luck. Fuck the church and their self serving narcissism.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Now see, this

Brian37 wrote:

Now see, this is where the right wingers would be wrong who have falsely accused me of hating wealth. I don't hate wealth. This guy got lucky, if he hadn't been born with a good voice, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere near what he did. He also got lucky, because there are far more people with good voices who wont make it that far.

Having said that, this is all the more reason to ignore the superstitious bullshit claimants of the super natural spew. Why should this guy give one rats ass about getting kicked out of a comic book club full of credulous invisible friend worshipers?

Yes, we should give to charity and those less fortunate. But it doesn't require everyone living in poverty to prove ourselves. And I think it is abhorrent to try to emotionally blackmail someone into anything. Having more than others is not a crime. It only becomes a crime when it becomes a point of judgment and a point of hording.

Fuck these assholes.

"Hard work" is a myth. For everyone who "makes it" there are far more who do as much or more that don't get lucky. It is as much your luck as it is your ability. I find it ironic that people say "hard work" but play the lottery and the winners quit their jobs. No one is out to "work hard". Everyone tends to put in more effort and time into things they enjoy. Even the work ethic is something someone enjoys by itself as it's own reward.

Completely off topic, I know. But it still bugs me that people think that title and label make one morally superior to others. Belonging to a Church only means you belong to a church, it doesn't make you the father of this contestant, nor does it make him wrong for wanting something for himself.

Kudos to this guy and I am happy for him and his luck. Fuck the church and their self serving narcissism.

+1