Greetings from Texas!

TexasStateAtheist
TexasStateAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Greetings from Texas!

My name's Porter, I'm a student at Texas State University. It's in Texas, and it's not in Austin, so there are a lot of annoying Jesus freaks. Anyway, I've been a non-Christian for about two years now after coming to my senses and realizing that Christianity, the religion I was brought up in, made no sense. My parents have not been very kind to their atheist son. They mention how good God is nearly every time I talk to them, mention how I should go to church, and so on and so forth. They're being "good Christians," which is to say that they won't leave me be.

I enjoy talking about my atheism, talking about how flawed religion is, and the like. I'm a history major, so obviously I enjoy history. Music is an integral part of my life. Listening, mind you, I'm not talented enough to play anything. Anyway, I found out about RRS through Greydon Square, one of my favorite rappers. I never thought about joining until I saw some RRS videos on youtube, namely the Blasphemy Challenge.

I'm happy to finally find a good strong atheist community. Cheers.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome from Canada

And welcome to rationality. There are several Texans on site, you'll hear from them.  Since you are a history major have you ever heard of Lord Mithras?  Otherwise do you have a history speciality?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is TX getting popular?Welcome

Is TX getting popular?

Welcome

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
TexasstateAtheist wrote:It's not Austin

First off------ Welcome to the Machine ! Did you ever sit down with your parents and show them the evidence for your non-belief,are they rational people. Buy them some Atheists books,like Richard Dawkins -"The God Illusion" Christopher Hitchens -"God is not Great " or Sam Harris -"Losing my Faith" They might have them at the Library.Anyway,you said History Major -Did you ever read Howard Zinn -"The People History of the United States ",I can't think of his name right now,but it's something Lowell wrote-"Lies My Teacher Told Me ",Fritz Stern -"Varieties of History.   

Signature ? How ?

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Texas State university in

Texas State university in San Marcos? I went to a trade school there

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, from the Deep North

Welcome, from the Deep North of the Real South (South of the Equator that is) - the State of Queensland in Australia.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

jimispier
jimispier's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Welcome Aboard!

Welcome Aboard!

TexasStateAtheist
User is offlineOffline
 Thanks for the well

Thanks for the well wishes. I appreciate it. Anyway, about my parents, I've decided that the best thing for me to do is ignore them and their spiteful comments. My sister, whom I'm very close with, has told me that this'd be the best option, as the parents are quite set in their ways. They became super religious after I fell away from the faith, by the way. Interesting how that happens, no?

Yesterday, in Astronomy class, when the professor was going on about the Gregorian calendar, he made mention that the main reason for creating the calendar was so that Easter would fall at roughly the same time each year. At that comment, something in my head clicked. I don't know why it hadn't before, but it did. I woke up to the fact that Christianity is a hodge-podge of stolen stories and symbols. Most of the holidays and symbols that have accumulated over the countless centuries of Zombie Jesus worship were stolen from either the pagans, or from other polytheistic religions. In the same vein, I find it hilarious that the Christmas tree, so beloved by the xtians, is actually spoken out against in the Bible, in Micah I think. It's yet another stolen symbol from other religions, but y'all knew that.

Anyway, to answer y'all's questions about my major, the name Lord Mithras rings a bell, not too familiar with that, and those books I'll have to check out. My emphasis in military history, something I've been learning about since I was able to read.

BTW, robj101, what trade school did you go to? TSTC mayhaps?

Editorial note: I fact checked myself, and it's Jeremiah that speaks out against trees.

Hear what the LORD says to you, O house of Israel. 2 This is what the LORD says: "Do not learn the ways of the nations or be terrified by signs in the sky, though the nations are terrified by them. 3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. 4 They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter.

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gary Job Corps, lol.

Gary Job Corps, lol.

Indiana Cajones
Indiana Cajones's picture
User is offlineOffline
Its great to see another

Its great to see another Texan join up. I attended SWTSU back in '79 - '82 and man, it was heaven on earth! Hope it is the same for you. I mostly lurk here but this is a very good site with some awesome intellect on display. Any Christians had better have well thought out arguments indeed! My thought has always been that theology simply does not make a lick of sense, so it has to be massive cultural programming at work. Read through the posts and enjoy! Maybe someday we can make a difference in this quagmire of superstition that is Texas...

TexasStateAtheist
User is offlineOffline
 A fellow Bobcat atheist?

A fellow Bobcat atheist? Kick ass! Thank you for the welcome, good sir.

Indiana Cajones
Indiana Cajones's picture
User is offlineOffline
In keeping with the spirit

In keeping with the spirit of this forum I will mention that I dated a nice girl from the Baptist Student Union for a while. She taught me a little Bible and in return was tutored in the ancient Roman lingual arts. God was mentioned many times...

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Indiana Cajones wrote:In

Indiana Cajones wrote:

In keeping with the spirit of this forum I will mention that I dated a nice girl from the Baptist Student Union for a while. She taught me a little Bible and in return was tutored in the ancient Roman lingual arts. God was mentioned many times...

i was in bsu in college.  i know in most colleges they're sort of another version of campus crusade for christ, i.e., huge movements with enormous meetings, a tight clique of leaders, propaganda for group mission trips, horrible "praise and worship" music, religious skits that are supposed to be funny, etc.  in my school, however, bsu was actually really nice.  it was sort of where the campus crusade misfits who were still religious but not in the modern "cool" way went to hang out.  we were a small group--the biggest we ever got was around 30--and we were all good friends.  plus, our brand of religion skipped all the guilt trip bullshit so i actually got to fool around with a couple of the girls in the group before i graduated. 

my god, one of the best chicks i ever had was in bsu.  she was a basketball player with a killer body.  i mean she was stacked but everything on her was just good, firm muscle.  she started out shy but it only took me a couple evenings to cure her of that.  that girl turned into a goddamn lynx.  sigh...

ironically enough, she was from texas.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Heya Porter, welcome!

Heya Porter, welcome!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/