I think I might start a church

liberatedatheist
atheistScience Freak
liberatedatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think I might start a church

So i went to a catholic mass with my mom, who is still sort of a fundy, and i noticed in the bulletin they give out that the church is pulling in over 20K a week in the collection basket. Thats 1.1 - 1.2 million dollars a year. Fucking a. That seems like an outrageously large amount of money for a church. I live in a relatively well to do town so I am curious if anyone knows how much their church might be raking in? Money like that makes me want to start one up...

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's easy.  You don't need

It's easy.  You don't need a building.  You don't need an accountant.  Starting up a 501(c)3 is a pain.  Starting up a 501(c)3 church is a snap.  No fees.  No accounting of funds, no budget.  Look up the IRS rules and forms.

I have a friend who was going to start a non-profit.  After messing about with the damn tax forms for months, she posted a sign in front of her house, "Spiritual devotions held here".  Filed the reduced paperwork and done.

So, if you want to make a fortune - or a cool mil a year -  you have to be more energetic.  See L. Ron Hubbard.  You too, can die a multi-millionaire if you are willing to dupe gullible people. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

jimispier
jimispier's picture
User is offlineOffline
liberatedatheist wrote: So

liberatedatheist wrote:

So i went to a catholic mass with my mom, who is still sort of a fundy, and i noticed in the bulletin they give out that the church is pulling in over 20K a week in the collection basket. Thats 1.1 - 1.2 million dollars a year. Fucking a. That seems like an outrageously large amount of money for a church. I live in a relatively well to do town so I am curious if anyone knows how much their church might be raking in? Money like that makes me want to start one up...

Here is the punch in the face: The either get tax exemption and/or other imaginary friend perks from the GOVERNMENT!

So they get to keep all of their money..

Not a bad con job. 

1.Make up a higher being.

2.Say that said higher being needs money.

3.Buy a yacht.

4.Repeat process for new car, house, summer house, "retreat" house, etc.. 

*Don't forget to tell the church folk that you are giving to the higher power as much or more than they do to guilt them into higher donations.. 

Jimi Spier
www.facebook.com/jimispier

"Christians: Prey for Atheists" -Jimi Spier (unless someone else wrote it first)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
I dunno...You'll have to ask

I dunno...

You'll have to ask these two:

They're the current head haunchos of the belief system -which I staunchly maintain is atheistic by definition, but has unusual ties to the occult- of which I consider myself a part of.

(I suspect TDS and Neptewn are more or less followers of this "World's First Carnal Religion", but I could be mistaken)

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
The first church of

The first church of "NI"

Don't ask me, it just fell out.

funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know I've thought about

You know I've thought about this and also thought about how morally wrong it would be for me to take advantage of peoples ignorance in order to profit off of them. I also thought maybe we could start a religion/cult whatever and have it run for like 10 years and them tell everyone it was all an experiment to demonstrate the stupidity of religion. We could document everything about how we converted people, how we convinced them to give up there money etc etc. We can make it all sci fi like scientology and throw in some new age stuff, crystals, alien dna recombination, wormholes etc. Could be fun and we would get paid whose with me?!!!