Atheist caught in the middle of Religious people

godisgoneonhoneymoon
godisgoneonhoneymoon's picture
Posts: 23
Joined: 2008-11-21
User is offlineOffline
Atheist caught in the middle of Religious people

Hey everyone,

 

Wanna ask you something, m an atheist, agnostic or whatever but not a fucked sick religios.

And I am caught with them, I mean everything of ma life is touched by religious people.

everyone is religious here, from a to z. So obviously life sucks here, u have to hide everything from everyone.

So i was asking you, is there anyway u would try going somewhere free like europe, america, canada, aurstralia nad its neighborings.

i mean they dont give visa to our nationalities that easy. is there any chance, u think? i have already applied for fulbright scholarship for doing ma masters, but that is difficult to work. I dont say i got no tallent for that shit, but still there is a very strange and complicated process for that, u dont even get short listed to attend the exam for that.

 

So lets see what you all say!

 

PEACE!


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15888
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
All kidding aside, being

All kidding aside, being serious here. I have to admit that I am a horrible speller myself. But when I see typing like this you come across as young and used to typing short texts. And I am merely getting the impression that English is not your first language as well.

As far as wanting to move somewhere else, no. The Constitution is not the problem. The founders were wise enough to make it neutral and a tool for all to use. SOME, not all Christians unfortunately have been sold a revisionist history.

America certainly has its nut cases who think our laws were ripped out of the bible, true. But it has plenty of people believers and atheists that use the Constitution and free speech to keep a leash on theocracy and will prevent it from shredding the Constitution.

And how would me leaving change anything here? I have seen changes in the very places I have lived in the past 10 years BECAUSE of people speaking up and speaking out. If it were not for the Constitution those changes wouldn't be possible.

I most certainly feel lonely on this island sometimes, but running away from the fight(competing ideas) wouldn't be something I would want to do. I want to stay and make the attempt to make things better here. I think they are slowly getting better. Change doesn't happen over night.

10 years ago the atheist voice was under the radar in the states. We were at that time considered the fringe of society. But that myth is widely being crushed by the growing number of atheists speaking out. I'm not going anywhere. The only thing that might cause me to leave would be cause of living. But unless atheists are rounded up like Jews, which cant see happening in the states, I don't think I have anything to worry about. I have more to fear from a drunk driver or robber breaking into my house, than I do from my government having me arrested because they might not like what I say.

 

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
Posts: 2481
Joined: 2010-02-20
User is offlineOffline
I have been thinking lately

I have been thinking lately if I had the cash and a bit more drive, I would leave this god forsaken place... ><

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
robj101 wrote:I have been

robj101 wrote:

I have been thinking lately if I had the cash and a bit more drive, I would leave this god forsaken place... ><

 

I have even researched it.  They don't want you if you aren't young and rich.  Who?  Any other country worth living in.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
godisgoneonhoneymoon

godisgoneonhoneymoon wrote:

Hey everyone,

 

Wanna ask you something, m an atheist, agnostic or whatever but not a fucked sick religios.

And I am caught with them, I mean everything of ma life is touched by religious people.

everyone is religious here, from a to z. So obviously life sucks here, u have to hide everything from everyone.

So i was asking you, is there anyway u would try going somewhere free like europe, america, canada, aurstralia nad its neighborings.

i mean they dont give visa to our nationalities that easy. is there any chance, u think? i have already applied for fulbright scholarship for doing ma masters, but that is difficult to work. I dont say i got no tallent for that shit, but still there is a very strange and complicated process for that, u dont even get short listed to attend the exam for that.

 

So lets see what you all say!

 

PEACE!

 

Where are you?  And the US economy is so messed up, I'm not sure why anyone would want to move here.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 4241
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote: Where are

cj wrote:

 

Where are you? 

i'm putting my money on the the philippines.


Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
Posts: 868
Joined: 2008-02-06
User is offlineOffline
I realize that everyone's

I realize that everyone's circumstance isn't like mine... But I am not only out, and extremely vocal about my view on Religion, but I give no quarter to bigots... some people think I am an asshole (they are right, BTW).... but most are on board with me... I dont tolerate bullshit...and the minute someone starts in with spiritual perfidy, I immediately respond, and depending on the setting, perhaps not politely...

In fact... in most cases, when confronted with someone hoping to endear themselves through "faith" (which is why they bring it up, they are probably used to having ntheir bullshit well recieved), once exposed, I have seen them backpeddle like a Free Safety covering a deep route...most religious people kow deep down they are full of shit... and like any other bully, when you step up, they'll back down...

You just have to be willing to fight... which on this issue, I always am.

I have enough friends Smiling


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15888
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:I realize

Rich Woods wrote:

I realize that everyone's circumstance isn't like mine... But I am not only out, and extremely vocal about my view on Religion, but I give no quarter to bigots... some people think I am an asshole (they are right, BTW).... but most are on board with me... I dont tolerate bullshit...and the minute someone starts in with spiritual perfidy, I immediately respond, and depending on the setting, perhaps not politely...

In fact... in most cases, when confronted with someone hoping to endear themselves through "faith" (which is why they bring it up, they are probably used to having ntheir bullshit well recieved), once exposed, I have seen them backpeddle like a Free Safety covering a deep route...most religious people kow deep down they are full of shit... and like any other bully, when you step up, they'll back down...

You just have to be willing to fight... which on this issue, I always am.

I have enough friends Smiling

Quote:
I have seen them backpeddle like a Free Safety covering a deep route

DUDE YOU ALMOST MADE ME SPIT OUT MY BEER! THAT IS BLASPHEMY!

I doubt many here would get the American football player position reference. But for the NFL and college fans, here who do, kudos on a funny metaphor. That was priceless.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
Posts: 868
Joined: 2008-02-06
User is offlineOffline
TY, Brian sir...

TY, Brian sir...


godisgoneonhoneymoon
godisgoneonhoneymoon's picture
Posts: 23
Joined: 2008-11-21
User is offlineOffline
To all of you (I didnt

To all of you (I didnt understand some of you though):

 

The first guy was right. English is not my language. I speak Pashto, the Language most of the Talibans talk with (I am thankful for this, it saved my life 4 times) I live and work among the strangest people on the earth. You can not fight here, absolutely not possible, you dont need to compare this place with the 10 years back straggle of Atheists in America! Because its not America, it's Afghanistan! You talk about anything beside what was written nearly 1400 years back in Saudi Arabia, you die, and its not joking.

 

Ok leave about me going out, let me tell you about life here, i mean an Atheist's life in Kabul. There are mosques all around and when they Call for Pray, you colleages, your people at home, start praying and if you don't, they might not say anything (its this democratic in Kabul and some other cities, the rest of the places you difinitly need to join people for the prayers) but they would start disliking and sometimes hate you.

You are sitting in a cab, listening to your favourite song, and there the prayers time comes, he turns it off, without you able to say anything.

About alcohol: There used to be two places in the middle of Kabul, where they would serve anyone beer, they closed the place, (though i still get my bzz, from these international troops' supermarkets and through another guy).

Women: Nothing, dont even think about it.

Entertainment: there is a lake close to Kabul less than 45 minutes ride, you go there, you find some drinks, and you come back and cops will stop you and check your mouth if you are drunk.

If you have to go to the provinces, then thats totally differnt, you dont wear jeans,(and it is serious, you wear that or anything like that beside the local stuff, you can be in serious trouble), in some places you can not go without beard (which means you dont go there).

Difficult to make friends, i mean real friends, because the day they come to know you don't beleive, they would at least try not to see you again.

In short there is no freedom of any kind and straggle to change is really difficult, There is no sense of individualism at all in the whole country!

Religion makes me suffer everyday!


Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
Posts: 4121
Joined: 2010-01-12
User is offlineOffline
iwbiek wrote:cj

iwbiek wrote:

cj wrote:

 

Where are you? 

i'm putting my money on the the philippines.

ditto.


SHIT! WRONG AGAIN, I am. >< 

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)


cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
Posts: 3330
Joined: 2007-01-05
User is offlineOffline
godisgoneonhoneymoon

godisgoneonhoneymoon wrote:

In short there is no freedom of any kind and straggle to change is really difficult, There is no sense of individualism at all in the whole country!

 

Man, I wish I could do more.  Do you want to get out?  Can you get a job as a translator?  Your written English is pretty good.  There was an American soldier who is an atheist on the forum who was/is (?) stationed in Afghanistan.  He isn't the only one.  I know this is risky, talking to foreign soldiers, but it is the only way I can think of to get out. 

Best wishes.  Come write to us when you can.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.


funknotik
atheist
funknotik's picture
Posts: 159
Joined: 2007-12-10
User is offlineOffline
Your english is pretty good

Your english is pretty good which is definitely an asset in getting out of there. Hope all is well and you get out of there asap, Wish I could do more to help.


godisgoneonhoneymoon
godisgoneonhoneymoon's picture
Posts: 23
Joined: 2008-11-21
User is offlineOffline
Hey I am doing great here. I

Hey I am doing great here. I work for this international non-profit org. So it's pretty good actually.

 

But have you seen Hank's movie, where he has to live alone in an island for so long, after his plane crashes, it feels like that sometimes.

The rest it's ok. It can be even fun sometimes. Because you sit and talk with Talibans-Type people and they don't know you are different.

 

So I just wanted to see what you all say

thanks and cheerz!

 

 

Religion makes me suffer everyday!