Mythology question

AnarchyMell
Superfan
AnarchyMell's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mythology question

In my junior year in high school, I took latin.  In the class we learned about a roman god or demi-god that had almost the exact story of Moses, you know put in a basket and floated down the river.  Am I remembering it right?  ANd if I am does anyone have a clue about who this could be?

Thanks!  Smiling

Anarchism is the only philosophy which brings to man the consciousness of himself; which maintains that God, the State, and society are non-existent, that their promises are null and void, since they can be fulfilled only through man's subordination. Anarchism is therefore the teacher of the unity of life; not merely in nature, but in man.

Emma Goldman

robj101
atheist
robj101's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sargon, I think it's

Sargon, I think it's mentioned in the zeitgeist movie. Seems like there was actually another more popular one though.

Faith is the word but next to that snugged up closely "lie's" the want.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in god, in none."-Charlie Chaplin

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
AnarchyMell wrote: In my

AnarchyMell wrote:

In my junior year in high school, I took latin.  In the class we learned about a roman god or demi-god that had almost the exact story of Moses, you know put in a basket and floated down the river.  Am I remembering it right?  ANd if I am does anyone have a clue about who this could be?

Thanks!  Smiling

Here is one, Sargon of Akkad, 24th-23rd centuries BCE, who conquered the Sumerian states.

wiki wrote:

My mother was a high priestess, my father I knew not. The brothers of my father loved the hills. My city is Azupiranu, which is situated on the banks of the Euphrates. My high priestess mother conceived me, in secret she bore me. She set me in a basket of rushes, with bitumen she sealed my lid. She cast me into the river which rose over me. The river bore me up and carried me to Akki, the drawer of water. Akki, the drawer of water, took me as his son and reared me. Akki, the drawer of water, appointed me as his gardener. While I was a gardener, Ishtar granted me her love, and for four and […] years I exercised kingship.[15]

wiki wrote:

In every version, a servant is charged with the deed of killing the twins, but cannot bring himself to harm them. He places them in a basket and leaves it on the banks of the Tiber. The river rises in flood and carries the twins downstream, unharmed.[15]

Altar from Ostia showing the discovery of Romulus and Remus (now at the Palazzo Massimo)

The river deity Tiberinus makes the basket catch in the roots of a fig tree that grows in the Velabrum swamp at the base of the Palatine Hill. The twins are found and suckled by a she-wolf (Lupa) and fed by a woodpecker (Picus). A shepherd of Amulius named Faustulus discovers them and takes them to his hut, where he and his wife Acca Larentia raise them as their own.

In the legend, Rome was founded between 753-745 BCE.  And archeologists have found fortification walls on Palatine Hill (where Romulus was said to have founded the city) that date to about the mid 8th century. 

If you want to see what a christian apologist has to say about this, http://www.specialtyinterests.net/lost_and_found_cultural_foundations.html 

If you believe Moses might have existed, he predated Romulus by 500 years or so.  Which allows the apologist to say the Romans swiped the biblical version.  But I would say the two stories have little in common.  Romulus and Remus were not found by a princess but by a wolf.  And they were not treated as nobles, but raised as shepherds. 

My money is on the bible swiping the Sargon story.  He predates Moses by 1200+ years.  However, the apologist in the previously mentioned website says that is a bad date and Sargon is actually a contemporary of Moses.  Hard for me to see how the archeologists got it that wrong.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

AnarchyMell
Superfan
AnarchyMell's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks so much guys!!!

Thanks so much guys!!!

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
In "Journey to the West"

In "Journey to the West" when Xuanzang was an infant he is floated down a river in a basket and discovered in a way that is oddly reminiscent of Moses.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India