atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Out out brief Candle, By Brian37

QUOTE WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE MACBETH:"To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Here is my spin on that wonderful and profound line:

Out, Out brief candle, By Brian37

To-deities, and to-gods, and to-God

Creeps in this petty tyrant from day to day

Until the extinction of humanity new ones will be invented

And all our yestergods have been created by fools

The way to tribal death. Out out brief myth

Claims are but a walking shadow, a poor reflection

That struts our narcissism upon the stage

And then is heard no more. It is a tale

Told by the credulous, full of sound and fury

Signifying nothing.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to be honest here. I

I have to be honest here. I couldn't read a Shakespeare play to save my life. But this is one line I do get.

I think the key to understanding ancient plays, isn't to understand the words or even the meter(if you are a laymen like me) first. To understand the play I think it is important to understand the motif of the plot first.

What I couldn't stand in College is that they wouldn't "spoil" it for you by telling you line by line what it meant. That turned me off. To this day that line is about the only Shakespeare line I know or remember.

I had more luck with the Oedipus trilogies(ironically after college when I got board). I had nothing to do and decided to read them all. Did so in one setting.

It is funny how the pressure of a classroom will stifle you. But when you don't fear the bullets wizzing over your head, you tend to retain more information.

I still to this day remember the plot of Oedipus Rex(part one). I don't remember the plot of Oedipus at Colonus(part two). I do remember, and my favorite play of the three is Antigone(part 3).

I guess I don't want to give the illusion that I love Shakespeare. I don't remember a damned thing about reading Othello in Jr college. I do remember struggling to understand it.

This line and this line alone inspired me. Nothing more.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog