Just Ask Grandpa - A Christian answers tough questions and debunks common myths

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Just Ask Grandpa - A Christian answers tough questions and debunks common myths

Way too many "delusional myths", and unanswered questions on this site. One cannot rationally disbelieve something unless they have a clear picture of what it is that they do not believe. Since I do not see these myths and false perceptions answered properly in terms of simple reasoning I shall attempt to do it myself.

Myth #1. God will burn "sinners" in "HELL" throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity. This is not supported in the bible. It is merely a false doctrine that entered the church during the dark ages. It has it's roots in paganism. Unfortunately most Christians still believe this myth. Ultimately those who choose to accept Gods gift of eternal life will go on to live forever in a world without all the suffering and horrors of this world. Those who do not accept His gift will cease to exist and have nothing to do with God as they have chosen and wished for. Sounds pretty fair to me!

If God were indeed to burn anybody throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity (including the devil) He would be the most terrible monster one could imagine. I myself would join the movement in defying and blasting God. Fortunately we have a loving creator God that will not and would not do that.

Rather than writing a 20 page study on the topic of death and hell, I will just give a website that those interested can visit that will clearly and definitively clear this myth up. It is hell truth.com.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
1844?

This is in reference to ex ministers #294.

1844? Are you referring to BCE, BC, AD, or CE? If you are referring to BC or BCE I have no idea. If you are referring to AD, or CE than we are getting down to the last days. Since most at this point are still trying to make China fit into the kingdoms mentioned in Daniel, or to split Media and Persia, it is a bit premature to talk of last day prophecies.

I can't wait to get into last day prophecies. If you agree with me on the early kingdoms than you can help speed things along by adding your expertise. If you are as confused as some than there is no point at this of jumping down to the last days.

I appreciate the support on my views thus far by freeminer. It will be interesting to see what his views are as we proceed down in time. It is rare that Gramps gets any support on an atheist site like this one. Sorry for the first person reference. I'll not make a habit of it since some find it so offensive.

I did the "download thing" PJTS suggested. Sure hope it worked. I guess we will see.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Actually, I am

Quote:
Actually, I am following critical analysis. You claim the writer of Daniel wrote inspired scripture and prophecy. If your god inspired the writer, your god would know about China and it's Empires as just as large and formidable as any in the ancient world. Since as you admit, the writer's perspective is such that the writer does not know about China, this indicates that there is little evidence for inspiration from a god that is all knowing.

gramster wrote:

As for taking over the exact region or territory, that is not how empires form.

I know, that's why I brought up Lydia, and the Chinese as well as Empires of the muslims and Turks.

sorry, still not following the logic of this. Daniel's prophecies are aimed firstly at the Jews - what's  it got to do with China? The significance of the empires dealt with are that they impact on the land and nationhood of Israel!

BTW.......I wasn't aware that this is a private section of the forum.

Quote:
No, the Bible is to be regarded as a non-historical book because it doesn't square with history. The Egyptians were building pyramids and the Babylonians were brewing beer during the time the Bible says they were underwater. Either the flood didn't happen or aliens gave these civilizations scuba gear.

I look forward to your substantiation of this assertion at a convenient point in the discussion. 

Quote:
"Redefine the question" as in show where critical analysis was lacking on Gramps' part and having basically acknowledge that he can't do it?

Gotcha.

you sought to redefine the question by eliminating any event outside the cause/effect framework from the outset thereby contradicting the very definition of "God" and negating the whole point of the discussion.

Quote:

1. The gold head - Babylon
  2. The silver breast and arms - Media
  3. The copper belly and thighs - Persia
  4. The iron legs - Greece
  5. The feet partly of iron and partly of molded clay - The Seleucids and the Ptolemies

This doesn't stand up for the simple reason that Daniel's 70th week remains unaccounted for. Furthermore, the text with regard to the 4th Empire is explicit as regards the eternal kingdom and the anointing and death of Christ AND the fact that Daniel's 70th week ALSO applies to this empire.

'It appeareth in nothing more, that atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man, than by this: that atheists will ever be talking of that their opinion, as if they fainted it within themselves and would be glad to be strengthened by the consent of others.' Francis Bacon.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
freeminer

freeminer wrote:

Quote:
Actually, I am following critical analysis. You claim the writer of Daniel wrote inspired scripture and prophecy. If your god inspired the writer, your god would know about China and it's Empires as just as large and formidable as any in the ancient world. Since as you admit, the writer's perspective is such that the writer does not know about China, this indicates that there is little evidence for inspiration from a god that is all knowing.

gramster wrote:

I know, that's why I brought up Lydia, and the Chinese as well as Empires of the muslims and Turks.

sorry, still not following the logic of this. Daniel's prophecies are aimed firstly at the Jews - what's  it got to do with China? The significance of the empires dealt with are that they impact on the land and nationhood of Israel!

Quote:
No, the Bible is to be regarded as a non-historical book because it doesn't square with history. The Egyptians were building pyramids and the Babylonians were brewing beer during the time the Bible says they were underwater. Either the flood didn't happen or aliens gave these civilizations scuba gear.

I look forward to your substantiation of this assertion at a convenient point in the discussion. 

Quote:
"Redefine the question" as in show where critical analysis was lacking on Gramps' part and having basically acknowledge that he can't do it?

Gotcha.

you sought to redefine the question by eliminating any event outside the cause/effect framework from the outset thereby contradicting the very definition of "God" and negating the whole point of the discussion.

Quote:

1. The gold head - Babylon
  2. The silver breast and arms - Media
  3. The copper belly and thighs - Persia
  4. The iron legs - Greece
  5. The feet partly of iron and partly of molded clay - The Seleucids and the Ptolemies

This doesn't stand up for the simple reason that Daniel's 70th week remains unaccounted for. Furthermore, the text with regard to the 4th Empire is explicit as regards the eternal kingdom and the anointing and death of Christ AND the fact that Daniel's 70th week ALSO applies to this empire.

For my part I will indeed be happy to oblige when convenient.

As for your dispute of the list I posted, you are proceeding from the assumption that your interpretation of Daniel must be correct. That's neither critical nor analysis.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Are we still disputing...

Are we still disputing any of the first three kingdoms. That being Babylon, Medo-Persia, and Alexander the Great's Empire under what ever name one wants to use? If so we can now go on to the 4th kingdom (Rome). If not what kingdom or kingdoms are being suggested as possible "suspects"?

I am now using explorer instead of mozilla. We will see if this works better.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:Are we still

gramster wrote:

Are we still disputing any of the first three kingdoms. That being Babylon, Medo-Persia, and Alexander the Great's Empire under what ever name one wants to use? If so we can now go on to the 4th kingdom (Rome). If not what kingdom or kingdoms are being suggested as possible "suspects"?

Look above for Rome's replacement - a truly divided empire.

A case could also be made for the satrapies could well be considered separate countries and Darius (who ruled pre-Cyrus) could have been made a grab for the territory. 

I know you hate speculation unless it's in the Bible...oh wait, this is. Darius is listed as a separate ruler.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:As for your dispute of

Quote:
As for your dispute of the list I posted, you are proceeding from the assumption that your interpretation of Daniel must be correct. That's neither critical nor analysis.

no, I have explicitly NOT done so. I have pointed out that since the Septuagint translation was commenced around the third cenury BC and completed in 132 BC, Daniel was certainly present in the Masoretic text BEFORE the Maccabean period. That is a very conservative view. Unless some wild eyed joker turned up in Alexandria shouting, "hold the presses", it seems clear that in 300BC the Jewish scholars were in possession of the full text.

Regarding your assertion that this does not constitute "critical analysis", I would point out that

a] The above is based on straightforward deduction from the historical facts and has nothing whatsoever to do with my personal opinion.

b] Your line of argument is based on the modern [ie post-Enlightenment] philosophical assumption that long range predictive prophecy is impossible - hardly objective.

Bible scholars put the date of completion of Daniel at circa 530 BC, shortly before the capture of Babylon by Cyrus in 539 BC. 

I would further point out that:

1] It is clear that the author himself viewed the Medo-Persian empire as just that; a joint enterprise. [cf text generally, eg Ch 5:28].

2] The characteristics of the language argue for a date earlier than the 2nd century. Linguistic evidence from the Dead Sea Scrolls, which contain authentic samples of Hebrew and Aramaic writing from the second century BC. demonstrate that the Hebrew and Aramaic chapters of Daniel must have been composed centuries earlier. Furthermore, the Persian and Greek words in Daniel do not require a late date. Some of the technical terms which appear in Ch3. were already so obsolete by the second century BC that translators of the Septuagint translated them incorrectly.

3] Several of the fullfillments of prophecies in Daniel could not have taken place by the second century anyway. The symbolism relating to the fourth empire make it unmistakably predictive of the Roman empire which did not take control of Syro-Palestine until 63 BC. The prophecy of the "Anointed One" 483 years after, "the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem" works out to the time of the ministry of Jesus.

Regarding the identity of Darius:

Daniel 6:28 (New American Standard Bible)

28So this ">(A)Daniel enjoyed success in the reign of Darius and in the reign of ">(B)Cyrus the Persian.

Scholars believe that Darius may be another name for Gubaru, referred to in Babylonian inscriptions as the governor that Cyrus put in charge of the newly conquered territories. Alternatively, it may have been Cyrus' throne name in Babylon. Here's another example of this:

1 Chronicles 5:26 (New American Standard Bible)

26So the God of Israel stirred up the spirit of ">(A)Pul, king of Assyria, even the spirit of Tilgath-pilneser king of Assyria, and he ">(B)carried them away into exile, namely the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh, and brought them to Halah, Habor, Hara and to the river of Gozan, to this day.  

Secularists poured scorn on the notion that anyone called Tilgath-pilneser ever existed  until, in recent times, an inscription of the name was found and it was realised that it was a name used by Pul. 

Quote:

The Bible is not simply concerned with "statehood", the governing secular power, when dealing with prophecy. It is also concerned with the "ecclesiastical" aspect. This may be seen if one analyses Revelation. Rome "ecclesiastical" is already divided into east and west.

'It appeareth in nothing more, that atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man, than by this: that atheists will ever be talking of that their opinion, as if they fainted it within themselves and would be glad to be strengthened by the consent of others.' Francis Bacon.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:Quote:As for

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

no, I have explicitly NOT done so. I have pointed out that since the Septuagint translation was commenced around the third cenury BC and completed in 132 BC, Daniel was certainly present in the Masoretic text BEFORE the Maccabean period. That is a very conservative view. Unless some wild eyed joker turned up in Alexandria shouting, "hold the presses", it seems clear that in 300BC the Jewish scholars were in possession of the full text.

Regarding your assertion that this does not constitute "critical analysis", I would point out that

a] The above is based on straightforward deduction from the historical facts and has nothing whatsoever to do with my personal opinion.

b] Your line of argument is based on the modern [ie post-Enlightenment] philosophical assumption that long range predictive prophecy is impossible - hardly objective.

Bible scholars put the date of completion of Daniel at circa 530 BC, shortly before the capture of Babylon by Cyrus in 539 BC. 

I would further point out that:

1] It is clear that the author himself viewed the Medo-Persian empire as just that; a joint enterprise. [cf text generally, eg Ch 5:28].

2] The characteristics of the language argue for a date earlier than the 2nd century. Linguistic evidence from the Dead Sea Scrolls, which contain authentic samples of Hebrew and Aramaic writing from the second century BC. demonstrate that the Hebrew and Aramaic chapters of Daniel must have been composed centuries earlier. Furthermore, the Persian and Greek words in Daniel do not require a late date. Some of the technical terms which appear in Ch3. were already so obsolete by the second century BC that translators of the Septuagint translated them incorrectly.

3] Several of the fullfillments of prophecies in Daniel could not have taken place by the second century anyway. The symbolism relating to the fourth empire make it unmistakably predictive of the Roman empire which did not take control of Syro-Palestine until 63 BC. The prophecy of the "Anointed One" 483 years after, "the issuing of the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem" works out to the time of the ministry of Jesus.

Regarding the identity of Darius:

Daniel 6:28 (New American Standard Bible)

28So this " class="xref">(A)Daniel enjoyed success in the reign of Darius and in the reign of " class="xref">(B)Cyrus the Persian.

Scholars believe that Darius may be another name for Gubaru, referred to in Babylonian inscriptions as the governor that Cyrus put in charge of the newly conquered territories. Alternatively, it may have been Cyrus' throne name in Babylon. Here's another example of this:

1 Chronicles 5:26 (New American Standard Bible)

26So the God of Israel stirred up the spirit of " class="xref">(A)Pul, king of Assyria, even the spirit of Tilgath-pilneser king of Assyria, and he " class="xref">(B)carried them away into exile, namely the Reubenites, the Gadites and the half-tribe of Manasseh, and brought them to Halah, Habor, Hara and to the river of Gozan, to this day.  

Secularists poured scorn on the notion that anyone called Tilgath-pilneser ever existed  until, in recent times, an inscription of the name was found and it was realised that it was a name used by Pul. 

Quote:

The Bible is not simply concerned with "statehood", the governing secular power, when dealing with prophecy. It is also concerned with the "ecclesiastical" aspect. This may be seen if one analyses Revelation. Rome "ecclesiastical" is already divided into east and west.

In reverse

1. Why would a story about military empires be concerned with church rulers? Or is this just an attempt to salvage a position?

2. Some scholars do mention Gubaru - I don't believe there is consensus. That doesn't look good for the Bible, though.

3. No, my view is based on Daniel's prophecies likely being written after they occurred (of which there is scholarly consensus, iirc).

4. You're only 400 years off. The events happened in 6th century BCE. The book happened much later (makes it a lot easier to get 100% accurate prophecies).

— George Carlin

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
freeminer

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

gramster wrote:

If the prophecies are aimed only at the Jews and pertain only to the period from Babylon to the Roman Empire explain this found in the following quotes. 

Also since you apparently like the NAB version, I used it for your convenience:

1- Daniel 2:28- "However, there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries, and He has made known to King Nebuchadnezzar what will take place in the latter days This was your dream and the visions in your mind while on your bed."

2- And Daniel 2:39 - "After you there will arise another kingdom inferior to you, then another third kingdom of bronze, which will rule over all the earth."

3-Then Daniel 2:44 - "In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which will never be destroyed, and that kingdom will not be left for another people; it will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, but it will itself endure forever."

In this first quote, it is apparent the prophecy is for the latter days, implicitly meaning at the end of time or end days of the world. Since 2500 years have passed and the world continues one cannot only consider this only refers to the few hundred years from the 6th century BCE to the time of the Roman Empire. The latter days have not arrived and it is conjecture to puzzle piece fit this prophecy to the empires in ancient times. Unless of course at some point the world ended and we all missed it.

In the 2nd quote, none of these kingdoms ruled all of the Earth as claimed by Daniel, that was the point of China. If an Empire such as the Zhou Dynasty concurrent to Babylon existed ruling a substantial portion of the Earth's population and civilization then the Medes, Persians and Greece did not meet this claim. The Han Empire in China ruled over an area equal to Rome with a similiar population, therefore Rome also did not rule over all the earth. Therefore. Daniel again is wrong, or you are  trying to puzzle piece fit this alleged prophecy to any of these ancient kingdoms.

In the 3rd quote, Daniel claims the god will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. As this hasn't actually occured as of yet except in puzzle piece fitting Jesus as instituting it, which is for another discussion, unless  you really want to send this thread down a new path.

freeminer wrote:

I suppose this is directed at me because I wasn't very joyous at your condescending attitude. As I said before, thanks for bringing your totally objective views to this thread, thanks for coming.

Also, to help all of us understand exactly who you are talking to, please learn to make better use of the quote function. If you need further help or understanding how to use it, please visit the following thread or ask how to do it so it's clear who you are answering or questioning.

See - http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/general_conversation_introductions_and_humor/7011

*edit fixed typos*

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
    Quote:In reverse1.

Quote:

In reverse

1. Why would a story about military empires be concerned with church rulers? Or is this just an attempt to salvage a position?

Based on the discussion thus far, I see no pressing reason to "salvage a position". The answer is that the Bible concerns itself with both in prophecy. A 'skim' reading of Revelation will confirm this. Since the purpose of prophecy is to give us "signs" by which we may "discern the times", this is only logical.  

Quote:
2. Some scholars do mention Gubaru - I don't believe there is consensus. That doesn't look good for the Bible, though.

thanks..........there are many issues, sacred and profane, upon which there is "no consensus". I fail to see why the lack of consensus impinges on the veracity of scripture any more than the lack of consensus on climate change impinges on scientific method. No-one believed the Hittites existed until we found their capital.             

Quote:
3. No, my view is based on Daniel's prophecies likely being written after they occurred (of which there is scholarly consensus, iirc).

but this is merely a restatement of your position. The only "consensus" you will find for it exists between those of a particular philosophical mindset, as I pointed out. That mindset dispenses with the notion of objectivity as a fundamental premise so those throwing their hats into that particular ring should be aware that the discovery of 'truth'  is not even a distant hope. 

Quote:
4. You're only 400 years off. The events happened in 6th century BCE. The book happened much later (makes it a lot easier to get 100% accurate prophecies).

the problem is that bland assertions unsupported by any evidence tends to be anathema to the thinking theist as well as the thinking atheist. As it happens the interpretation of the image is can be traced by analysing the text side by side with known historical events. I am happy to supply further elucidation should it be required. 

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
So freeminer, you seem to be

So freeminer, you seem to be fairly knowledgable on the bible.  Do you believe it is all true, are you a literalist?  Do you believe in worldwide floods, adam and eve and the talking snake, all that fun stuff? 

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:So

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

So freeminer, you seem to be fairly knowledgable on the bible.  Do you believe it is all true, are you a literalist?  Do you believe in worldwide floods, adam and eve and the talking snake, all that fun stuff? 

aaw.......cool hounds. Depends what you mean by a "literalist" ie. I don't believe my God is "a rock"....but generally, yep, I believe in all that fun stuff!

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:Bible

freeminer wrote:

I read this three times.  Surely, you wouldn't make such an obvious mistake, but no, you really did.

530 BC is nine years AFTER 539 BC.  You count backwards, remember?

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
yes "after" is correct of

yes "after" is correct of course........thanks

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
freeminer

freeminer wrote:

aaw.......cool hounds. Depends what you mean by a "literalist" ie. I don't believe my God is "a rock"....but generally, yep, I believe in all that fun stuff!

So my question to you would be why?  Why do you believe the stories in the bible about talking snakes, and not other stories with supernatural claims not found in your holybook of choice?  If you are able to believe these kinds of things without evidence, why not believe in other supernatural claims not found in the bible? 

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote: yes "after"

freeminer wrote:

yes "after" is correct of course........thanks

So Daniel was written AFTER the capture of Babylon.  To be clear.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:If the prophecies

Quote:
If the prophecies are aimed only at the Jews and pertain only to the period from Babylon to the Roman Empire explain this found in the following quotes. 

Isaid:

"Daniel's prophecies are aimed firstly at the Jews"

ie sequentially........but also "primarily" until the Church Age.

Quote:

1- Daniel 2:28- "However, there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries, and He has made known to King Nebuchadnezzar what will take place in the latter days This was your dream and the visions in your mind while on your bed."

2- And Daniel 2:39 - "After you there will arise another kingdom inferior to you, then another third kingdom of bronze, which will rule over all the earth."

3-Then Daniel 2:44 - "In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which will never be destroyed, and that kingdom will not be left for another people; it will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, but it will itself endure forever."

In this first quote, it is apparent the prophecy is for the latter days, implicitly meaning at the end of time or end days of the world. Since 2500 years have passed and the world continues one cannot only consider this only refers to the few hundred years from the 6th century BCE to the time of the Roman Empire.

Thanks, yes I like the NAB for its accuracy of nuance....... Re the first quote, as I said, we can only account for 69 of Daniel's 70 weeks which takes us up to the ministry of Jesus. ie 483 yrs. Thus we have "one week of years" during which, in the last days, a restored Roman empire will rule, that is a confederation based on Rome and occupying the same territory.. Daniel was NEVER told that all 70 weeks would be sequential. Also we have to be careful. Daniel should be understood along with all other prophecy...ie. while one expects it to fit into a coherent overall picture, it should not be read alone. If we await Daniel's 70th week, we should be expecting to see the fulfillment of other prophecy, which we do of course.

Quote:
The latter days have not arrived and it is conjecture to puzzle piece fit this prophecy to the empires in ancient times. Unless of course at some point the world ended and we all missed it.

see above. Whether the "latter days" have arrived may yet form part of our discussion.

Quote:
In the 2nd quote, now of these kingdoms ruled all of the Earth as claimed by Daniel, that was the point of China. If an Empire such as the Zhou Dynasty concurrent to Babylon existed ruling a substantial portion of the Earth's population and civilization then the Medes, Persians and Greece did not meet this claim. The Han Empire in China ruled over an area equal to Rome with a similiar population, therefore Rome also did not rule over all the earth. Therefore. Daniel again is wrong, or you are in trying to puzzle piece fit this alleged prophecy to any of these ancient kingdoms.

ok, allow me to stop a moment and ask you how interested you are in truth? You see, if an atheist wishes to comfort himself with the notion that Daniel is false on the grounds that Greece didn't rule from Tahiti to Greenland, then he is at liberty to do so, but if, along the way, he misses the actual truth that is being communicated and he proceeds to lean his eternal destiny on it...... then it may just be a bit of a hollow triumph! I was just asked whether I am a "literalist". Ask yourself what is being communicated and to whom. We can reasonably assume that the Babylonians were aware of the far east kingdoms but Nebuchadnezzer had no political or military interest in China..... his territories were extensive enough! I think the "whole earth" may reasonably be read as applying to those in which he did have an interest. Such rulers develop an interest in their legacy.

Quote:
In the 3rd quote, Daniel claims the god will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. As this hasn't actually occured as of yet except in puzzle piece fitting Jesus as instituting it, which is for another discussion, unless  you really want to send this thread down a new path.
I'm not sure why you consider it a "new path"unless you wish to positively avoid an understanding of prophecy. Does it unsettle you? How tough are you feeling? You see, Jesus made it quite clear that he was establishing a kingdom, he said, "now is the Kingdom of God among you..... " Revelation makes it clear that he will turn that spiritual kingdom into a physical one. To attempt to airbrush Christ out of prophecy is to avoid the whole point....... which is perhaps what you feel a need to do.

freeminer wrote:

Quote:
I suppose this is directed at me because I wasn't very joyous at your condescending attitude. As I said before, thanks for bringing your totally objective views to this thread, thanks for coming.

Thank you for your warm welcome. My comment was prompted by the fact that you apparently required "neutrality" of others having already [if I'm not mistaken] already confessed, with disarming honesty, to bias of your own! 

Apart from the occasional "f off" everyone is so polite! Thanks for your advice note!

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote: Quote:If

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

Isaid:

"Daniel's prophecies are aimed firstly at the Jews"

ie sequentially........but also "primarily" until the Church Age.

Jews do not consider Daniel to be one of the 55 prophets and his book is included in the writings section of the Tanakh not the prophetic section. According to the Jews his writings were aimed at a future age and not deemed to be prophetic. see Judaism 101.

Since your beliefs follow further down the road after Judaism explain why there is such a divergence?

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

In this first quote, it is apparent the prophecy is for the latter days, implicitly meaning at the end of time or end days of the world. Since 2500 years have passed and the world continues one cannot only consider this only refers to the few hundred years from the 6th century BCE to the time of the Roman Empire.

Thanks, yes I like the NAB for its accuracy of nuance....... Re the first quote, as I said, we can only account for 69 of Daniel's 70 weeks which takes us up to the ministry of Jesus. ie 483 yrs. Thus we have "one week of years" during which, in the last days, a restored Roman empire will rule, that is a confederation based on Rome and occupying the same territory.. Daniel was NEVER told that all 70 weeks would be sequential. Also we have to be careful. Daniel should be understood along with all other prophecy...ie. while one expects it to fit into a coherent overall picture, it should not be read alone. If we await Daniel's 70th week, we should be expecting to see the fulfillment of other prophecy, which we do of course.

See above, Jews do not consider Daniel to be a prophet. Keeping this in mind, why do you?

freeminer wrote:

Quote:
The latter days have not arrived and it is conjecture to puzzle piece fit this prophecy to the empires in ancient times. Unless of course at some point the world ended and we all missed it.

see above. Whether the "latter days" have arrived may yet form part of our discussion.

The latter days have been claimed to be the current times countless times in the last 2000 years. The NT in both the Gospels and Paul's writing seem to indicate it is upon them. And again and again many have thought the end was nigh ever since. Yet, we are still here and the world progresses down its path.

freeminer wrote:

Quote:
In the 2nd quote, now of these kingdoms ruled all of the Earth as claimed by Daniel, that was the point of China. If an Empire such as the Zhou Dynasty concurrent to Babylon existed ruling a substantial portion of the Earth's population and civilization then the Medes, Persians and Greece did not meet this claim. The Han Empire in China ruled over an area equal to Rome with a similar population, therefore Rome also did not rule over all the earth. Therefore. Daniel again is wrong, or you are in trying to puzzle piece fit this alleged prophecy to any of these ancient kingdoms.

ok, allow me to stop a moment and ask you how interested you are in truth? You see, if an atheist wishes to comfort himself with the notion that Daniel is false on the grounds that Greece didn't rule from Tahiti to Greenland, then he is at liberty to do so, but if, along the way, he misses the actual truth that is being communicated and he proceeds to lean his eternal destiny on it...... then it may just be a bit of a hollow triumph! I was just asked whether I am a "literalist". Ask yourself what is being communicated and to whom. We can reasonably assume that the Babylonians were aware of the far east kingdoms but Nebuchadnezzar had no political or military interest in China..... his territories were extensive enough! I think the "whole earth" may reasonably be read as applying to those in which he did have an interest. Such rulers develop an interest in their legacy.

It is not only Daniel that is a problem but all of the misconstrued views of ancient writings of but one culture of the ancient world.

Everyone is entitled to their own form of understanding that enables them to get up in the morning. Whether it affects "an eternal" destiny or not is clearly unsubstantiated. Claiming that you have the interpreted knowledge derived only from ancient writers which you claim is the truth is very arrogant. It would be far better to say it was your opinion based on your interpretations than to make such a unprovable assertion. 

The truth is. Daniel wrote many things which are clearly open to interpretations. In your case, you accept them as they are part of the foundation that builds Christianity. The Jews however see this in a very different perspective than you. Others, whether it be atheists or believers in other religious persuasions don't see what you claim either.

I did read where you claim to be a literalist, which helps in understanding exactly where you come from in your views.

I'm not entirely convinced of the awareness the Babylonians had of Eastern China. Perhaps there was awareness of India, as the Egyptians have been shown to have been involved in trade, and it appears so too was ancient Iran. That trade had occurred for 100s if not thousands of years by 500 BCE is not questioned, what is is exact understanding of the real vastness of China and East Asia. I have seen little in ancient Mediterranean history that supports a view that anyone prior to Rome in the early 1st century had a clue of the vast empires and civilizations that were in Eastern Asia. Alexander got as far as India and was far from the population centers of the Chinese.

I don't deny that Nebuchadnezzar would think as if he was the king of the world, it indicates his lack of knowledge of what the world actually was at the time. He saw that he was the strongest king in the area he dominated and had no idea how little of the world it actually encompassed. And as I said, neither did Daniel, or his god if it was inspired.

freeminer wrote:

Quote:
In the 3rd quote, Daniel claims the god will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. As this hasn't actually occurred as of yet except in puzzle piece fitting Jesus as instituting it, which is for another discussion, unless  you really want to send this thread down a new path.

I'm not sure why you consider it a "new path"unless you wish to positively avoid an understanding of prophecy. Does it unsettle you? How tough are you feeling? You see, Jesus made it quite clear that he was establishing a kingdom, he said, "now is the Kingdom of God among you..... " Revelation makes it clear that he will turn that spiritual kingdom into a physical one. To attempt to airbrush Christ out of prophecy is to avoid the whole point....... which is perhaps what you feel a need to do.

Again you interpret into support of your opinions what is meant  by "the kingdom of god" from the NT with no details or analysis.  Extensive explanation and evidence is required. Written unsupported assertions by either you or ancient writers is not evidence.

Revelation is an interesting discussion and re-visitation of not only Daniel but also Ezekiel and 1 Enoch and should be handled specifically in its entirety and not just by quote grabbing. It on it's own discredits itself, which we can discuss later if you wish. For now, Gramps was working down a path to show us how Daniel is supposedly relevant, you should try to remain focused in his support and not be divergent upon multiple paths of discussion. So far, Gramps has done very little to provide substantial substance to his opinions and your support has done little to move most from a neutral position.

freeminer wrote:

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

Thank you for your warm welcome. My comment was prompted by the fact that you apparently required "neutrality" of others having already [if I'm not mistaken] already confessed, with disarming honesty, to bias of your own! 

Apart from the occasional "f off" everyone is so polite! Thanks for your advice note! 

We all have a bias in our perspectives, when clearly opposite perspectives attempt to discuss anything of substance it can only be done from a neutral view. I did not say I required neutrality of others, clearly impossible on this forum, but a neutral stance in approaching an ancient document would be a good way to consider it. So far, this is not happening at all in this discussion. It is obvious that both Gramps and you wish to see Daniel as prophetic in support of your religious beliefs. As one that does not belief, I need to see and understand exactly how Daniel has any relevance at all. When I see claims that someone will rule all the world, yet it is but a tiny portion it does not give me a reason to see it as "inspired" by a god. I see it as a claim by an ancient who had no understanding of the real vastness of his own world. And disparity in reported history or specific confusion does not lead me to accept the version in a document that had the purpose of promoting a specific unsubstantiated god.

Actually, I don't swear and usually don't insult beyond pointing out extreme bias or snarky comments. It is always interesting to listen to how and why someone believes what they do in regards to religion and I'm always willing to listen. But what I won't quietly take is preaching or comments as in

"Does it unsettle you? How tough are you feeling?"

or

" You see, if an atheist wishes to comfort himself with the notion that Daniel is false on the grounds that Greece didn't rule from Tahiti to Greenland, then he is at liberty to do so, but if, along the way, he misses the actual truth that is being communicated and he proceeds to lean his eternal destiny on it...... then it may just be a bit of a hollow triumph"

This is in fact what I see as preaching and is not helpful at all in your own support.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:So my question to you

Quote:

So my question to you would be why?  Why do you believe the stories in the bible about talking snakes, and not other stories with supernatural claims not found in your holybook of choice?  If you are able to believe these kinds of things without evidence, why not believe in other supernatural claims not found in the bible? 

in question order:

a] because it offers the most rational, coherent world-view and because of personal experience.

b] because other "holy books" don't offer a coherent rational world-view and latterly because I recognise spiritual deception when I see it.

c] I don't believe anything without evidence........no-one has offered me evidence that granny will come back as a tree-frog. I do recognise supernatural claims not found in the Bible ........one just has to be discerning with regard to their source.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Jews do not consider

Quote:
Jews do not consider Daniel to be one of the 55 prophets and his book is included in the writings section of the Tanakh not the prophetic section. According to the Jews his writings were aimed at a future age and not deemed to be prophetic. see Judaism 101.

yes, that is correct, the Christian view is different from all but Messianic Jews. You wouldn't expect them to believe prophecies relating to Christ for instance!

Quote:
Since your beliefs follow further down the road after Judaism explain why there is such a divergence?

my above comment should largely explain - they still await the Messiah.......Daniel is far too close to the bone for them.

Quote:

See above, Jews do not consider Daniel to be a prophet. Keeping this in mind, why do you?

the Bible helpfully point out that the genuine prophet is marked by the fulfillment of his prophecies! But Daniel's prophecies dovetail with others also.

Quote:
The latter days have been claimed to be the current times countless times in the last 2000 years. The NT in both the Gospels and Paul's writing seem to indicate it is upon them. And again and again many have thought the end was nigh ever since. Yet, we are still here and the world progresses down its path.

yes but annoyingly, this is precisely what the Bible predicts people will say! I'm happy to discuss current "signs" in due course if you wish.

back later!

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:Quote:So my

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

in question order:

a] because it offers the most rational, coherent world-view and because of personal experience.

b] because other "holy books" don't offer a coherent rational world-view and latterly because I recognise spiritual deception when I see it.

c] I don't believe anything without evidence........no-one has offered me evidence that granny will come back as a tree-frog. I do recognise supernatural claims not found in the Bible ........one just has to be discerning with regard to their source.

1. How is "magic man done it" rational and coherent? Are your personal experiences from God only if they are positive?

2. From my readings, all "holy books" are equally incoherent? Is it spiritual deception only because it isn't from the God you like? Doesn't that put you above your God?

3. No one will ever off that evidence about your granny (though I think if it came from a Rev. in a church you like you'd take it more seriously). On what is your discernment of the supernatural based? "I like it/It affects me positively so it's from God"?

— George Carlin

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Kingdoms

jcgadfly wrote:

gramster wrote:

[/Look above for Rome's replacement - a truly divided empire.

A case could also be made for the satrapies could well be considered separate countries and Darius (who ruled pre-Cyrus) could have been made a grab for the territory. 

I know you hate speculation unless it's in the Bible...oh wait, this is. Darius is listed as a seplarate ruler.]

As for the kingdoms presented in Daniel 2 we need to get back to business. Even though it is a long shot, for the sake of argument we will leave open a slight possibility that Darius, the Turks, Satrapies, China, Peru, or some other planetary colony may be referenced here.

As Paul John was kind enough to point out, this prophecy gives reference to the later days. There were roughly 13 kings over Babylonia during the Medo-Persian empire, and 14 kings during Hellenistic Babylonia. If we try to make each one of these fit we will never make it to the later days.

I have considered all of the other kingdoms mentioned so far. None of them make any sense to me. It seems rational for us to examine the ONLY kingdoms or empires that historians would list as successive.

Ask a historian. What kingdom followed Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon. He will tell you Medo-Persia, Persia, or the Achaemenid Empire. Ask what kingdom was next. He will tell you Alexanders Macedonia or Greece. Ask what kingdom followed that. He will tell you Rome. If you ask for a detailed history of each of those kingdoms you would then get a lesson on all of the other individual kings, rulers, conquests etc.

Going forward I will be examining those kingdoms that are the most obvious. As we go along we can see if any of the other kingdoms mentioned can "hang in there" as possible "suspects", or if they are eliminated along the way.

This is not picking and choosing the powers that fit and validate MY PERSONAL views. As we go forward we will see that the "proof is in the pudding". The powers that Daniel is referring will fit like hand and glove. Otherwise we have the wrong ones.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:jcgadfly

gramster wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

gramster wrote:

I know you hate speculation unless it's in the Bible...oh wait, this is. Darius is listed as a seplarate ruler.]

As for the kingdoms presented in Daniel 2 we need to get back to business. Even though it is a long shot, for the sake of argument we will leave open a slight possibility that Darius, the Turks, Satrapies, China, Peru, or some other planetary colony may be referenced here.

As Paul John was kind enough to point out, this prophecy gives reference to the later days. There were roughly 13 kings over Babylonia during the Medo-Persian empire, and 14 kings during Hellenistic Babylonia. If we try to make each one of these fit we will never make it to the later days.

I have considered all of the other kingdoms mentioned so far. None of them make any sense to me. It seems rational for us to examine the ONLY kingdoms or empires that historians would list as successive.

Ask a historian. What kingdom followed Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon. He will tell you Medo-Persia, Persia, or the Achaemenid Empire. Ask what kingdom was next. He will tell you Alexanders Macedonia or Greece. Ask what kingdom followed that. He will tell you Rome. If you ask for a detailed history of each of those kingdoms you would then get a lesson on all of the other individual kings, rulers, conquests etc.

Going forward I will be examining those kingdoms that are the most obvious. As we go along we can see if any of the other kingdoms mentioned can "hang in there" as possible "suspects", or if they are eliminated along the way.

This is not picking and choosing the powers that fit and validate MY PERSONAL views. As we go forward we will see that the "proof is in the pudding". The powers that Daniel is referring will fit like hand and glove. Otherwise we have the wrong ones.

You mean "ask a lay Bible historian" don't you? Other historians would probably know more than hobbyists.

However, I look forward to reading how you will shoehorn this into your personal views (while claiming you're not).

— George Carlin

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:Quote:Jews

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

yes, that is correct, the Christian view is different from all but Messianic Jews. You wouldn't expect them to believe prophecies relating to Christ for instance!

The point here is your divergent view is in opposition to the beliefs of those who established the god and scriptures you hold to be literally true yet you consider the Jews to error in their understanding and only Christian misconstrued interpretation from the original Jewish concepts are correct. You need to show how the Jews error to establish your basis and do so with substantial evidence not hearsay claims of the NT. In other words, some point in the past, whether it be at the time of Isaiah, Ezra, or Daniel Jewish understanding of their god's prophets failed to comprehend what was given them by the prophets in their expectations of the mashiach.

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

my above comment should largely explain - they still await the Messiah.......Daniel is far too close to the bone for them.

This is not an explanation but is an assertion. The Jews do await the mashiach because Jesus doesn't fit what they understood.

Explain why and how they took a path that is incorrect.

freeminer wrote:

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

the Bible helpfully point out that the genuine prophet is marked by the fulfillment of his prophecies! But Daniel's prophecies dovetail with others also.

Quote:

yes but annoyingly, this is precisely what the Bible predicts people will say! I'm happy to discuss current "signs" in due course if you wish.

back later!

You have many details to address in your claims the Jewish people did not understand what was given them by their prophets before you go into any attempt to show there are current signs the latter days approach. You need to remain focused and not go in so many directions at once, we can discuss current signs once you establish you have the foundation and clear evidance to show Jews misunderstood their prophets at some point in the past, using their scriptures, not Pauline doctrines or NT hearsay claims.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:jcgadfly

gramster wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

gramster wrote:

Sir, my point still remains, that Daniel and those of his time had no idea that the world was as vast as it is. You on the other hand know there was far more to the world at the time because you have the benefit of looking back with that knowledge. Since you choose to ignore it and take only the knowledge of those who were ignorant of reality, you do so with the intent to fit these supposed sayings (not prophecies though as the Jews don't agree they are) to build your foundations for your beliefs. Clearly Daniel and the people of the Middle East at this point had no idea they were in error and so too would Nebuchadnezzar if he thought he ruled the world, as he did not.

gramster wrote:

Yes, in regard ONLY to the history of the Middle East and Mediterranean, these kingdoms did follow each other except you still leave out the kingdoms that split up from Alexander, namely Ptolemaic and Seleucid kingdoms. The Seleucid Kingdom lasted for nearly 250 years in some form, yet you are dismissive of it. It was the largest of the kingdoms after Alexander lasting in a very huge territory for many years longer than Alexander, yet you are dismissive of it. Why?

If you ask a historian to detail the largest kingdoms and empires in the ancient entire world, the Chinese and others will be included. So what you are doing, is creating a subset to accept the ignorance of those of antiquity that made future predictions ONLY for a small portion of the entire world though they claimed it was the Whole Earth, Daniel 2:39, which is not true for any kingdom of the Middle East then nor later.

gramster wrote:

And by the way, the claim Nebuchadnezzar was a greater king than any of the Persians is also not true. Daniel 2:39 says the kingdom that came after his would be inferior to his. If we go with the Medes-Persians, their kingdom lasted until Alexander conquered most of it by 331 BCE or for over 225 years. Nebuchadnezzar only ruled for 43 years and Babylon ceased to exist as a separate Empire in 539 BCE.

So far, the gloves don't fit.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:1. How is "magic man

Quote:

1. How is "magic man done it" rational and coherent?

Quote:

can I politely suggest that the standard atheist "sky fairy" stuff isn't conducive to mature discussion?  To anwer your question with a question......why should the notion of events emanating from outside the cause/effect closed system be irrational?

Quote:
Are your personal experiences from God only if they are positive?

they are all positive even when they don't appear to be.

Quote:
2. From my readings, all "holy books" are equally incoherent?

your reading is wrong..........no shame in that, the only mistake a man can make is not to be genuinely seeking.

Quote:
Is it spiritual deception only because it isn't from the God you like? Doesn't that put you above your God?

there is only one.......this simplifies things a good deal.

Quote:
3. No one will ever off that evidence about your granny (though I think if it came from a Rev. in a church you like you'd take it more seriously).

you appear to believe you know me. To presume me to be a fool is a mistake.

Quote:
On what is your discernment of the supernatural based? "I like it/It affects me positively so it's from God"?

as your Bible would tell you, it's based on the indwelling Holy Spirit.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
 Mods? Why does a very open

Mods? Why does a very open theist like Freeminer have an Atheist label?

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:1. How is

jcgadfly wrote:

1. How is "magic man done it" rational and coherent?

freemine wrote:
rcan I politely suggest that the standard atheist "sky fairy" stuff isn't conducive to mature discussion?  To anwer your question with a question......why should the notion of events emanating from outside the cause/effect closed system be irrational?

jcgadfly wrote:
Are your personal experiences from God only if they are positive?

freeminer wrote:
they are all positive even when they don't appear to be.

jcgadfly wrote:
2. From my readings, all "holy books" are equally incoherent?

freeminer wrote:
your reading is wrong..........no shame in that, the only mistake a man can make is not to be genuinely seeking.

jcgadfly wrote:
Is it spiritual deception only because it isn't from the God you like? Doesn't that put you above your God?

freeminer wrote:
there is only one.......this simplifies things a good deal.

jcgadfly wrote:
3. No one will ever off that evidence about your granny (though I think if it came from a Rev. in a church you like you'd take it more seriously).

freeminer wrote:
you appear to believe you know me. To presume me to be a fool is a mistake.

jcgadfly wrote:
On what is your discernment of the supernatural based? "I like it/It affects me positively so it's from God"?

freeminer wrote:
as your Bible would tell you, it's based on the indwelling Holy Spirit.

Apologies for setting everything off in quotes - words were running together for me.

1. You said it yourself - cause/effect is a closed system. Having an uncaused cause is an invocation of magic. It's also a logical fallacy called special pleading - "Everything must play by the rules except..."

2. So you give God credit for the bad experiences because you've been indoctrinated in "all things work together for our good..."? That's one way to release God from his doing evil.

3. Not even Christians agree on their being one God - hence denominationalism. They all add their tweaks.

4. I don't know you but I know a lot of people like you. They're the types that I grew up with. The church was struggling to survive and they asked the pastor to take another job (as many of them were doing to help the church). All the lazy schlub said was "Jehovah-jireh, Jehovah-jireh". Well, The lord didn't provide, he's out of the faith and the pastorate and the church no longer exists. Way to go God! NB: Before you start on "You're an atheist - you want churches gone" - no, I'd like to see them taxed as functioning members of society but the institution does have some redeeming qualities in the social realm.

5. Yeah, the Bible can't keep any of its positions on mundane matters consistent. I doubt if I could trust it on the supernatural.

— George Carlin

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:It is not only

Quote:
It is not only Daniel that is a problem but all of the misconstrued views of ancient writings of but one culture of the ancient world.

but I have presented evidence to show that Daniel is not a problem. No-one forces anyone to believe anything but rationally, all the evidence points to the authenticity of Daniel as a prophet. At the end of the day, however coherent the evidence, people don't believe if they don't want to, regardless of the evidence. Ultimately the question is not one of rationality or evidence. That it why Jews dismiss Daniel and render Isaiah an incoherent mess!

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their own form of understanding that enables them to get up in the morning. Whether it affects "an eternal" destiny or not is clearly unsubstantiated.

what you mean is that it's unsubstantiated by you.

Quote:
Claiming that you have the interpreted knowledge derived only from ancient writers which you claim is the truth is very arrogant. It would be far better to say it was your opinion based on your interpretations than to make such a unprovable assertion.

but your notion that it is an "unprovable assertion" is your very own "unfounded assertion"  What you mean is that if I adopted a  relativistic mindset, it would sit more comfortably with your own sensibilities. However, the Bible says, "the fear  of God is the beginning of knowledge", not the beginning of "opinion". 

Quote:
The truth is. Daniel wrote many things which are clearly open to interpretations.

if you mean, people can come up with all sorts of alternative stories, then yes, this is quite so. Whether any of them can be rationally held by any thinking person is another matter. 

Quote:
In your case, you accept them as they are part of the foundation that builds Christianity. The Jews however see this in a very different perspective than you. Others, whether it be atheists or believers in other religious persuasions don't see what you claim either.

yes, but you see, I never was one to run with the herd. As I said earlier, consensus is not synonymous with truth. Jesus said the opposite would be the case.

Quote:
I did read where you claim to be a literalist, which helps in understanding exactly where you come from in your views.

I explained the sense in which I am not a literalist but as opposed to theological liberalism.......yes. Does knowing which box to put me in make you feel more comfortable?

Quote:
I'm not entirely convinced of the awareness the Babylonians had of Eastern China. Perhaps there was awareness of India, as the Egyptians have been shown to have been involved in trade, and it appears so too was ancient Iran. That trade had occurred for 100s if not thousands of years by 500 BCE is not questioned, what is is exact understanding of the real vastness of China and East Asia. I have seen little in ancient Mediterranean history that supports a view that anyone prior to Rome in the early 1st century had a clue of the vast empires and civilizations that were in Eastern Asia. Alexander got as far as India and was far from the population centers of the Chinese.

yes, well Iran is a modern construct of course........I think we would find considerable Babylonian interest in India. I suspect that, as you say, detailed knowledge of the far east was probably lacking but I also suspect that trade was far mmore extensive than is thought. 

Quote:
I don't deny that Nebuchadnezzar would think as if he was the king of the world, it indicates his lack of knowledge of what the world actually was at the time. He saw that he was the strongest king in the area he dominated and had no idea how little of the world it actually encompassed. And as I said, neither did Daniel, or his god if it was inspired.

I know you must find it difficult to come to terms with the idea of God's omniscience. God didn't tell Daniel as much as he's told us!!!

Quote:
In the 3rd quote, Daniel claims the god will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. As this hasn't actually occurred as of yet except in puzzle piece fitting Jesus as instituting it, which is for another discussion, unless  you really want to send this thread down a new path.

Quote:

Quote:
Again you interpret into support of your opinions what is meant  by "the kingdom of god" from the NT with no details or analysis.

it ain't rocket science!!!!! We are given the time frame.......we land bang on the ministry of Jesus who quite explicitly states that the "kingdom of God is among you" and even gets his title nailed up on his cross! What analysis would you like? Revelation 19, Ezekiel and Zechariah 14 all detail his return to establish a physical kingdom after Daniel's 70th week. 

Quote:
 Extensive explanation and evidence is required. Written unsupported assertions by either you or ancient writers is not evidence.

I am not the one making "unsupported assertions" here, quite the contrary. What are these "other interpretations"which are so well supported by evidence? I am very happy to give you a full run down of Daniel's correlation with historical events if you want it. 

Quote:
Revelation is an interesting discussion and re-visitation of not only Daniel but also Ezekiel and 1 Enoch and should be handled specifically in its entirety and not just by quote grabbing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "quote-grabbing" . We have the major and minor prophetic books and Revelation. Psalms also ccontains prophecy as do the Gospels. It is in the nature of prophecy that it requires disentangling.  

Quote:
It on it's own discredits itself, which we can discuss later if you wish.

well this is bang on topic. If you can show that Daniel "discredits itself".......go ahead. 

Quote:
For now, Gramps was working down a path to show us how Daniel is supposedly relevant, you should try to remain focused in his support and not be divergent upon multiple paths of discussion. So far, Gramps has done very little to provide substantial substance to his opinions and your support has done little to move most from a neutral position.

I am more than happy to remain with Daniel for the moment. I have put up an independent argument for the authenticity of Daniel by relating it to the known dating of the Septuagint. This has nothing to do with "interpretation", simply straightforward logic applied to the accepted dates. My case remains unrefuted. Therefore, if it has "done little to move you" an examination of your own neutrality may be in order. Bear in mind that you are an atheist on a site with the avowed aim of destroying theism!!!  A consideration of the logic of the schema you've put forward might be a good idea. Are you proposing it as  a total fabrication? If so what would the agenda be? Is it supposed to present a coherent picture with other prophecies or would you like to come up with alternative paradigms for ALL prophecy? Prophecy sets out to warn you. It would seem easier for you just to ignore it but if we're going to do this, let's submit your idea to rigorous analysis.  I am very happy to support gramps' line of reasoning where necessary.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Dishonest Manipulation by Freeminer

I discovered while I was addressing Freeminer's comments he manipulated what I said by making it appear I was discussing something other than what I referenced.

I consider him to be dishonest at this point and will wait for an apology. If he does not make one, I'm done with him as he has shown his true colors as a manipulative individual. 

**Edit deleted comments and quotes to Freeminer except the manipulated section***

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

well this is bang on topic. If you can show that Daniel "discredits itself".......go ahead.

What you did here is dishonest manipulation and is cause to end all discussion with you unless you admit your are dishonest and apologize and you  never do it again.

post 317 wrote:
Revelation is an interesting discussion and re-visitation of not only Daniel but also Ezekiel and 1 Enoch and should be handled specifically in its entirety and not just by quote grabbing. It on it's own discredits itself, which we can discuss later if you wish.

You took a comment in regards to Revelation and made it seem like I was discussing Daniel.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:
The most specific prophecy to Babylon's destruction is Isaiah 13. Isaiah claims the Medes would utterly destroy Babylon. He predicted extreme violence and death, v18. In v19, "And Babylon the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency shall be as when God overthrew Sodom & Gomorrah." - KJV

The problem with this prophecy is it did not happen that way.

Babylon welcomes Cyrus with green twigs and leaves as a liberator, not a conqueror. The king of Babylon, Nabondius who isn't even mentioned in the Bible flees and eventually surrenders.

Babylon is used by the Persians as a capitol city and later on by Alexander the Great who dies there in 329 BCE.

This all invalidates Isaiah's false prophecy, one of many he screwed up.

Ah, thanks for find it. 

"She will never be inhabited or lived in through all generations; no Arab will pitch his tent there, no shepherd will rest his flocks there." Isaiah 13:20 - NIV

Well, now that I have the actual Bible verse instead of just gramp's unsupported blabberings, it's pretty clear that this prophecy is long falsified. I wonder if he can come up with a weird response to this.

Firstly:

The name of the Babylonian king Belshazzar (Daniel 5) appeared for the first time in a text found in a foundation deposit of the temple. Scholars once said the Bible was wrong in naming Belshazzar as king when the Persians conquered Babylon, since the known records indicated that Nabonidus was the last king of Babylon.

What the foundation deposit tablet, along with other subsequently found texts, revealed was that Belshazzar was the son of Nabonidus and coregent with his father. While Nabonidus was away campaigning, which he loved to do, Belshazzar was left to run the country from Babylon. Thus, Belshazzar offered Daniel the position of “third highest ruler in the kingdom” if he would decipher the handwriting on the wall (Dan. 5:16). This was the highest available office in the kingdom, since Nabonidus was number one and his son Belshazzar was number two. Instead of being in error, the Bible precisely reflected the political situation that existed in ancient Babylon at the time of its fall to the Medes and Persians.

ok, this is an aside but just "en passent".......Isaiah 13 reads:

17Behold, I am going to ">(AI)stir up the Medes against them,
         Who will not value silver or ">(AJ)take pleasure in gold.
    18And their bows will mow down the ">(AK)young men,
         They will not even have compassion on the fruit of the womb,
         Nor will their ">(AL)eye pity children.
    19And ">(AM)Babylon, the ">(AN)beauty of kingdoms, the glory of the Chaldeans' pride,
         Will be as when God ">(AO)overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.
    20It will ">(AP)never be inhabited or lived in from generation to generation;
         Nor will the ">(AQ)Arab pitch his tent there,
         Nor will shepherds make their flocks lie down there.
    21But ">(AR)desert creatures will lie down there,
         And their houses will be full of owls;
         Ostriches also will live there, and shaggy goats will frolic there.
    22Hyenas will howl in their fortified towers
         And jackals in their luxurious ">(AS)palaces.
         Her fateful time also will soon come
         And her days will not be prolonged.

just love the "green twigs" story!........who came up with that gem?

Scholars believe that this portion of Isaiah was completed not long after 701BC. Understandably, you haven't understood eschatological exegesis. The simplest way to explain is   probably:

Verses 17-18. Did they happen? yes, ie we have no contrary evidence.

Verses 19-22 Did they happen? Yes, we know this.

The point is, one cannot understand prophecy by presuming that events are necessarily concurrent..... sorry! A classic case is Daniel 11 where his prophecy of Antiochus runs straight into his prophecy of the Antichrist. 

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I discovered while I

Quote:

I discovered while I was addressing Freeminer's comments he manipulated what I said by making it appear I was discussing something other than what I referenced.

I consider him to be dishonest at this point and will wait for an apology. If he does not make one, I'm done with him as he has shown his true colors as a manipulative individual. 

this looks like a rapid backtracking on your part and your unsubstantiated complaint looks like a particularly feeble excuse. I require a demonstration of where I have "manipulated" anything. I won't waste my time requesting an apology because I perceive that you don't appear to have the requisite honour.  

Quote:

Quote:
What you did here is dishonest manipulation and is cause to end all discussion with you unless you admit your are dishonest and apologize and you  never do it again.

did you or did you not state that "Daniel discredits itself"? Now back it up or withdraw it.

post 317 wrote:
Revelation is an interesting discussion and re-visitation of not only Daniel but also Ezekiel and 1 Enoch and should be handled specifically in its entirety and not just by quote grabbing. It on it's own discredits itself, which we can discuss later if you wish.

Quote:
You took a comment in regards to Revelation and made it seem like I was discussing Daniel.

my request for an explanation of your "quote grabbing" phrase was not directed at your use of any book in particular as the comment with which I followed the request made amply clear. The exegesis of any

prophetic passage can appear as "quote grabbing" to the uninitiated because it is not laid out sequentially in one place, the references to the same event occur all over the place. Enoch contains some valid history but it not part of the Reformed canon. I agree that Revelation is sequential in large  part which is why I personally believe post- Tribulation paradigms to be nonsense. That doesn't prevent quotes from Revelation being used to show how they relate to other prophecies. 

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:yes, that is

Quote:

Quote:
The point here is your divergent view is in opposition to the beliefs of those who established the god and scriptures you hold to be literally true yet you consider the Jews to error in their understanding and only Christian misconstrued interpretation from the original Jewish concepts are correct.

Do you see what you've done here? You've started by presupposing that the concepts of scripture are Jewish concepts. Critique scripture by all means but at least do so on the basis of what it claims itself to be rather than on what men imagine it to be. Scripture itself says of the Jews:

1. Isaiah 6:9
    He said, "Go and tell this people: " 'Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving.'
    Isaiah 6:8-10 (in Context) Isaiah 6 (Whole Chapter)
  2. Matthew 13:14
    In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah: " 'You will be ever hearing but never understanding; you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.
    Matthew 13:13-15 (in Context)
 The Bible states that the Holy Spirit indwelling a man is the one who reveals the truth of scripture to him. The Jews have rejected this.

Quote:
You need to show how the Jews error to establish your basis and do so with substantial evidence not hearsay claims of the NT.

This was Jewish reaction to God's revelation!

Nehemiah 9:26
"But they were disobedient and rebelled against you; they put your law behind their backs. They killed your prophets, who had admonished them in order to turn them back to you; they committed awful blasphemies.
Nehemiah 9:25-27 (in Context)

The point is that NT claims are not based on hearsay but eyewitness evidence.......by men for whom it cost everything.          

Quote:
In other words, some point in the past, whether it be at the time of Isaiah, Ezra, or Daniel Jewish understanding of their god's prophets failed to comprehend what was given them by the prophets in their expectations of the mashiach.

If the prize was your soul, I would happily set out the litany of murders committed upon the prophets and the multitudinous times the Jews ignored their warnings. The whole OT bears witness against them. 

Quote:

The divergence is explained by the Spirit coming to indwell people. This explains all divergence, then and now.

Quote:

Quote:
This is not an explanation but is an assertion. The Jews do await the mashiach because Jesus doesn't fit what they understood.
which nation has ever produced such a self- condemnatory history?

Quote:
Explain why and how they took a path that is incorrect.

read it .......this is the subject of the whole OT. Time and again they refused to believe God and made gods of their own - nothing changes.

Quote:
You have many details to address in your claims the Jewish people did not understand what was given them by their prophets before you go into any attempt to show there are current signs the latter days approach. You need to remain focused and not go in so many directions at once, we can discuss current signs once you establish you have the foundation and clear evidance to show Jews misunderstood their prophets at some point in the past, using their scriptures, not Pauline doctrines or NT hearsay claims.

If you want a Jewish perspective on the validity or otherwise of Daniel you could always ask on the Jewish section of the BBC forum. If you want to be shown how Daniel meshes with other prophecy and known history, I can show this. What you are asking is, "why are people irrational?" The short answer is, "because they place their own autonomous intellect above the revelation of God ie the same reason you dismiss the NT as "hearsay". That doesn't require you to approach scripture unquestioningly, merely not to treat it irrationally. A classic case is the Jewish treatment of Isaiah........one has to leave one's brain at the door. 

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:1. You said it

Quote:
1. You said it yourself - cause/effect is a closed system. Having an uncaused cause is an invocation of magic
........like the Big Bang you mean?........hmm. The notion that cause/effect is not a closed system is entirely unsubstantiated and thus this has nothing whatsoever to do with magic. It is a fundamental premise of scripture that Universal Law is just that, the law of our universe.  

Quote:
It's also a logical fallacy called special pleading - "Everything must play by the rules except..."

I've already pointed out a couple of times on RRS that the atheist invokes special pleading every time he purports to use logic.

Quote:
2. So you give God credit for the bad experiences because you've been indoctrinated in "all things work together for our good..."?

you just have to admire the backhand insult.........I apologise for exhibiting such obvious gullibility.

Quote:
That's one way to release God from his doing evil.

this suggests you have a fully equipped alternative moral system...... I look forward to hearing about it! 

Quote:
3. Not even Christians agree on their being one God - hence denominationalism.
......no, hence Unitarianism........get your story straight. 

Quote:
4. I don't know you but I know a lot of people like you.

how tedious to be so transparent! 

Quote:
They're the types that I grew up with. The church was struggling to survive and they asked the pastor to take another job (as many of them were doing to help the church). All the lazy schlub said was "Jehovah-jireh, Jehovah-jireh". Well, The lord didn't provide, he's out of the faith and the pastorate and the church no longer exists. Way to go God! NB: Before you start on "You're an atheist - you want churches gone" - no, I'd like to see them taxed as functioning members of society but the institution does have some redeeming qualities in the social realm.

I live in hope that RRS will be populated by persons of sufficient intelligence not to confuse Christianity with the behaviour of every jack-the-lad who hijacks the title.......please don't disappoint me so soon. 

Quote:
5. Yeah, the Bible can't keep any of its positions on mundane matters consistent. I doubt if I could trust it on the supernatural.

yeah......I suppose that would rate high among all your other doubts. Since its unreliability is so obvious, why employ the sledgehammer of RRS to debunk it?.......or did you just fancy the fullfillment of an easy challenge? Isn't it on a par with mugging old ladies? Wouldn't your  time be better spent at the local basketweaving club?  

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote: Quote:1.

freeminer wrote:

Quote:
1. You said it yourself - cause/effect is a closed system. Having an uncaused cause is an invocation of magic
........like the Big Bang you mean?........hmm. The notion that cause/effect is not a closed system is entirely unsubstantiated and thus this has nothing whatsoever to do with magic. It is a fundamental premise of scripture that Universal Law is just that, the law of our universe.  

Quote:
It's also a logical fallacy called special pleading - "Everything must play by the rules except..."

I've already pointed out a couple of times on RRS that the atheist invokes special pleading every time he purports to use logic.

Quote:
2. So you give God credit for the bad experiences because you've been indoctrinated in "all things work together for our good..."?

you just have to admire the backhand insult.........I apologise for exhibiting such obvious gullibility.

Quote:
That's one way to release God from his doing evil.

this suggests you have a fully equipped alternative moral system...... I look forward to hearing about it! 

Quote:
3. Not even Christians agree on their being one God - hence denominationalism.
......no, hence Unitarianism........get your story straight. 

Quote:
4. I don't know you but I know a lot of people like you.

how tedious to be so transparent! 

Quote:
They're the types that I grew up with. The church was struggling to survive and they asked the pastor to take another job (as many of them were doing to help the church). All the lazy schlub said was "Jehovah-jireh, Jehovah-jireh". Well, The lord didn't provide, he's out of the faith and the pastorate and the church no longer exists. Way to go God! NB: Before you start on "You're an atheist - you want churches gone" - no, I'd like to see them taxed as functioning members of society but the institution does have some redeeming qualities in the social realm.

I live in hope that RRS will be populated by persons of sufficient intelligence not to confuse Christianity with the behaviour of every jack-the-lad who hijacks the title.......please don't disappoint me so soon. 

Quote:

yeah......I suppose that would rate high among all your other doubts. Since its unreliability is so obvious, why employ the sledgehammer of RRS to debunk it?.......or did you just fancy the fullfillment of an easy challenge? Isn't it on a par with mugging old ladies? Wouldn't your  time be better spent at the local basketweaving club?  

1. I don't know what caused the Big Bang. I know it had a cause because it is in the universe and it plays by the rules. Adding a magic person who exists outside the universe and has no cause for its existence is far different.

2. How is using applying the rules of logic a special plead? You can't say that everything but logic is following the rules of logic.

3. Not a backhanded insult - merely a question. and you answered it. Your training in Romans 8:28 and James1:1-3 tells you that if you love God, everything will work out right for you no matter how bad things get. You bring the Pollyanna attitude because you're trained to. It's like the super-optimistic kid whose parents tell him he got a pony for Christmas and they fill his room with manure. He grabs a pitchfork and goes into his room saying, "I know there's a pony in here somewhere".

4. Why be disappointed? You fit the description I gave quite nicely with your "Bad things are really good things because God said so" I know you're a Paulist so this may not mean much (because it comes from Jesus) but here:

"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

I don't see every Christian as you or that ex-pastor in my example. If I did, I'd be an anti-theist. But in your case, the description fits well.

5. Other people have done the work. Google "Contradictions in the Bible".

I did like your insult as well. As most of the basket weavers I know (I live near an artist's colony) think about what they do before they do it. I'm sure they'd have an easy time with you.

If you really consider yourself that much of an intellectual lightweight, why did you come here and pontificate?

— George Carlin

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
“Jesus said to them,

“Jesus said to them, ‘This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.’” Luke 24:44 (NIV)

The Old Testament verses are the prophecy; the New Testament verses proclaim the fulfillment. Check them all out for yourself!

• Born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:21-23)
  • A descendant of Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3; 22:18; Matthew 1:1; Galatians 3:16)
  • Of the tribe of Judah (Genesis 49:10; Luke 3:23, 33; Hebrews 7:14)
  • Of the house of David (2 Samuel 7:12-16; Matthew 1:1)
  • Born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2, Matthew 2:1; Luke 2:4-7)
  • Taken to Egypt (Hosea 11:1; Matthew 2:14-15)
  • Herod´s killing of the infants (Jeremiah 31:15; Matthew 2:16-18)
  • Anointed by the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 11:2; Matthew 3:16-17)
  • Heralded by the messenger of the Lord (John the Baptist) (Isaiah 40:3-5; Malachi 3:1; Matthew 3:1-3)
  • Would perform miracles (Isaiah 35:5-6; Matthew 9:35)
  • Would preach good news (Isaiah 61:1; Luke 4:14-21)
  • Would minister in Galilee (Isaiah 9:1; Matthew 4:12-16) Would cleanse the Temple (Malachi 3:1; Matthew 21:12-13)
  • Would first present Himself as King 173,880 days from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem (Daniel 9:25; Matthew 21:4-11)
  • Would enter Jerusalem as a king on a donkey (Zechariah 9:9; Matthew 21:4-9)
  • Would be rejected by Jews (Psalm 118:22; I Peter 2:7)
  • Die a humiliating death (Psalm 22; Isaiah 53) involving:
    1. rejection (Isaiah 53:3; John 1:10-11; 7:5,48)
    2. betrayal by a friend (Psalm 41:9; Luke 22:3-4; John 13:18)
    3. sold for 30 pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:12; Matthew 26:14-15)
    4. silence before His accusers (Isaiah 53:7; Matthew 27:12-14)
    5. being mocked (Psalm 22: 7-8; Matthew 27:31)
    6. beaten (Isaiah 52:14; Matthew 27:26)
    7. spit upon (Isaiah 50:6; Matthew 27:30)
    8. piercing His hands and feet (Psalm 22:16; Matthew 27:31)
    9. being crucified with thieves (Isaiah 53:12; Matthew 27:38)
    10. praying for His persecutors (Isaiah 53:12; Luke 23:34)
    11. piercing His side (Zechariah 12:10; John 19:34)
    12. given gall and vinegar to drink (Psalm 69:21, Matthew 27:34, Luke 23:36)
    13. no broken bones (Psalm 34:20; John 19:32-36)
    14. buried in a rich man’s tomb (Isaiah 53:9; Matthew 27:57-60)
    15. casting lots for His garments (Psalm 22:18; John 19:23-24)
  • Would rise from the dead!! (Psalm 16:10; Mark 16:6; Acts 2:31)
  • Ascend into Heaven (Psalm 68:18; Acts 1:9)
  • Would sit down at the right hand of God (Psalm 110:1; Hebrews 1:3)

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
  Quote:1. I don't know

Quote:

1. I don't know what caused the Big Bang. I know it had a cause because it is in the universe and it plays by the rules. Adding a magic person who exists outside the universe and has no cause for its existence is far different.

this is remarkable because when I last looked, matter could neither be created nor destroyed, "playing by the rules".

Quote:
2. How is using applying the rules of logic a special plead? You can't say that everything but logic is following the rules of logic.
logic is a non-material entity - according to atheists, these don't exist. 

Quote:
3. Not a backhanded insult - merely a question. and you answered it. Your training in Romans 8:28 and James1:1-3 tells you that if you love God, everything will work out right for you no matter how bad things get. You bring the Pollyanna attitude because you're trained to. It's like the super-optimistic kid whose parents tell him he got a pony for Christmas and they fill his room with manure. He grabs a pitchfork and goes into his room saying, "I know there's a pony in here somewhere".
I found my pony many years ago. You sound like someone for whom things aren't going well! In fact you sound like someone who can't imagine things going well!

Quote:
4. Why be disappointed? You fit the description I gave quite nicely with your "Bad things are really good things because God said so" I know you're a Paulist so this may not mean much (because it comes from Jesus) but here:

what I said was, God takes evil and uses it to accomplish his plan which is for ultimate good. Polyanna nothing....."training" doesn't enter the question. Scripture isn't true simply for its warm glow but because it answers the questions and can be personally proven.

Quote:
"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."
do you know what he spoke of?

Quote:
I don't see every Christian as you or that ex-pastor in my example. If I did, I'd be an anti-theist. But in your case, the description fits well.
you spend your time on an anti-theist site and are your very own well of presumption.

Quote:

it's odd you know, the Bible manages to communicate its propositions to hundreds of thousands of people........have you ever stopped to wonder why you in particular have so much difficulty?

Quote:
I did like your insult as well. As most of the basket weavers I know (I live near an artist's colony) think about what they do before they do it. I'm sure they'd have an easy time with you.
why don't you take a leaf out of their book, think more and presume less.

Quote:
If you really consider yourself that much of an intellectual lightweight, why did you come here and pontificate?

you asked a question, I answered it........so far I don't feel out of my depth!

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Poor comprehension or

Poor comprehension or manipulation?

Freeminer has either demonstrated issues with comprehension of what is written or he manipulated a sentence out of context for his own intended purpose.

1-If Freeminer can't grasp the context and intent of something as simple as this, it may indicate he does so with his comprehension of the Bible as well such that he can interpret it to the end he seeks.

2-If Freeminer intentionally manipulated a sentence out of context to the end of promoting his agenda then he has demonstrated he is dishonest and discredits those he represents. This technique has been done by many Christians throughout time, such as Ambrose, Augustine, and the Inquisitors. The idea is that all is fair in the promotion of the message of the god. Violence, coercion, murder, torture, and deception.

At this point, I can't tell which he is doing, though I'm sure with time it will come out.

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

this looks like a rapid backtracking on your part and your unsubstantiated complaint looks like a particularly feeble excuse. I require a demonstration of where I have "manipulated" anything. I won't waste my time requesting an apology because I perceive that you don't appear to have the requisite honour.  

This looks like justification on your part for your actions demonstrating that you have most likely a problem in comprehension. Whether it be from convenience or a biological anomaly it creates a false reality creating suspicion that you simply cannot understand logically anything that may contradict your beliefs.

1-If you lack the ability to stay on track and comprehend incorrectly from what is said by poor understanding it casts doubt on your ability to understand the subject under discussion and your comprehension of scripture and history.

Next we have the Joseph Goebbels Technique of repetition. Repeat the misrepresentation over and over and some will believe the deception.

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

You have taken a sentence out of context to represent what you would like to address. Repetition of the manipulation does not make it true.

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

did you or did you not state that "Daniel discredits itself"? Now back it up or withdraw it.

No, I said Revelation discredits itself which is obvious from the following which you even quoted.

post 317 wrote:

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote:  Quote:1.

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

this is remarkable because when I last looked, matter could neither be created nor destroyed, "playing by the rules".

Quote:
logic is a non-material entity - according to atheists, these don't exist. 

Quote:
I found my pony many years ago. You sound like someone for whom things aren't going well! In fact you sound like someone who can't imagine things going well!

Quote:

what I said was, God takes evil and uses it to accomplish his plan which is for ultimate good. Polyanna nothing....."training" doesn't enter the question. Scripture isn't true simply for its warm glow but because it answers the questions and can be personally proven.

Quote:
do you know what he spoke of?

Quote:
you spend your time on an anti-theist site and are your very own well of presumption.

Quote:

it's odd you know, the Bible manages to communicate its propositions to hundreds of thousands of people........have you ever stopped to wonder why you in particular have so much difficulty?

Quote:
why don't you take a leaf out of their book, think more and presume less.

Quote:

you asked a question, I answered it........so far I don't feel out of my depth!

1.Matter wasn't created - it was changed from energy and expanded. It's still playing by the rules. Adding in your God to add other stuff - not so much

2. I'm not a materialist so it doesn't apply to me. Materialism is not atheism. Logic is in nature and nature plays by the rules.

3. I can imagine things going well. I can make things go well. I'm just not going to attribute my good work to God when he did nothing to make it happen. I am not going to absolve him from the atrocities he's committed or has had other commit in his name because it will all come out in the end. Do you worship God or Machiavelli?

4.Personal proofs aren't helpful when you are trying to objectively lay things out to another.

5. I have no difficulty with the Bible. I have simply read the entire thing. I didn't skip over the parts that made god look bad. How's your cafeteria Christianity going?

Think more and presume less - good advice. Still waiting for you to take it.

— George Carlin

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

gramster wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

gramster wrote:

Sir, my point still remains, that Daniel and those of his time had no idea that the world was as vast as it is. You on the other hand know there was far more to the world at the time because you have the benefit of looking back with that knowledge. Since you choose to ignore it and take only the knowledge of those who were ignorant of reality, you do so with the intent to fit these supposed sayings (not prophecies though as the Jews don't agree they are) to build your foundations for your beliefs. Clearly Daniel and the people of the Middle East at this point had no idea they were in error and so too would Nebuchadnezzar if he thought he ruled the world, as he did not.

gramster wrote:

Yes, in regard ONLY to the history of the Middle East and Mediterranean, these kingdoms did follow each other except you still leave out the kingdoms that split up from Alexander, namely Ptolemaic and Seleucid kingdoms. The Seleucid Kingdom lasted for nearly 250 years in some form, yet you are dismissive of it. It was the largest of the kingdoms after Alexander lasting in a very huge territory for many years longer than Alexander, yet you are dismissive of it. Why?

If you ask a historian to detail the largest kingdoms and empires in the ancient entire world, the Chinese and others will be included. So what you are doing, is creating a subset to accept the ignorance of those of antiquity that made future predictions ONLY for a small portion of the entire world though they claimed it was the Whole Earth, Daniel 2:39, which is not true for any kingdom of the Middle East then nor later.

gramster wrote:

This is not picking and choosing the powers that fit and validate MY PERSONAL views. As we go forward we will see that the "proof is in the pudding". The powers that Daniel is referring will fit like hand and glove. Otherwise  we have the wrong ones.

And by the way, the claim Nebuchadnezzar was a greater king than any of the Persians is also not true. Daniel 2:39 says the kingdom that came after his would be inferior to his. If we go with the Medes-Persians, their kingdom lasted until Alexander conquered most of it by 331 BCE or for over 225 years. Nebuchadnezzar only ruled for 43 years and Babylon ceased to exist as a separate Empire in 539 BCE.

First let me be clear. I am not interested in what the Jews believe. Scripture makes it clear that they would get things wrong and "miss the boat". Freeminer already addressed this so we don't need to waste the time.

second. You make too much of the phrase "whole earth". Using "critical analysis" one must consider the context, the setting, the purpose, the audience, the culture, and the common thought and language of the day.

In that day, the whole earth, as you pointed out, was considered to be the middle east, and the Mediterranean. One could just as easily make the case that the usage of this term was an emphasis on the vastness of the kingdom for the purpose of distinguishing them from all of the smaller individual kings and kingdoms that were not great empires.

The purpose of this prophecy was not to point out that the earth was much bigger than they realized. It was not to project what would happen elsewhere. It was to give an account in advance of the main players that would rule over that general region effecting the Jews until the end of time. That is does very well if we don't try to force it to fit powers that don't make sense.

As for Medo-Persia being inferior to Nebudchadnezzar's Babylon, it was inferior in culture and splendor. Alexanders kingdom brought in Greek culture which was not inferior.

As for ignoring the kingdoms that split from Alexander, I am not. We are getting there. Daniel 8 addressed this specifically. The goat with a notable horn "the goat became great, but when he became strong, the large horn was broken, and in place of it four notable ones came up toward the four winds". "And the male goat is the kingdom of Greece. The large horn between it's eyes is the first king. As for the broken horn and the four that stood up in its place, four kingdoms shall arise out of that nation, but not with its power"

The gloves do fit and very well. At this point you can try to make the case that one of these four powers that rise up out of Alexanders kingdom are part of the great image, but we shall see.

As you pointed these prophecies refer to the last days or time of the end. This and other factors will help us to positively identify the powers mentioned in Daniel. At least the Ptolemaic and Seleucid kingdoms make more sense than Darius.

I will proceed in the identification and verification of the kingdoms mentioned in Daniel. This will encompass more than just Daniel 2, or small portions of scripture taken out of context.

More later.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
gramster

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

This is not picking and choosing the powers that fit and validate MY PERSONAL views. As we go forward we will see that the "proof is in the pudding". The powers that Daniel is referring will fit like hand and glove. Otherwise  we have the wrong ones.

First let me be clear. I am not interested in what the Jews believe. Scripture makes it clear that they would get things wrong and "miss the boat". Freeminer already addressed this so we don't need to waste the time.

second. You make too much of the phrase "whole earth". Using "critical analysis" one must consider the context, the setting, the purpose, the audience, the culture, and the common thought and language of the day.

In that day, the whole earth, as you pointed out, was considered to be the middle east, and the Mediterranean. One could just as easily make the case that the usage of this term was an emphasis on the vastness of the kingdom for the purpose of distinguishing them from all of the smaller individual kings and kingdoms that were not great empires.

The purpose of this prophecy was not to point out that the earth was much bigger than they realized. It was not to project what would happen elsewhere. It was to give an account in advance of the main players that would rule over that general region effecting the Jews until the end of time. That is does very well if we don't try to force it to fit powers that don't make sense.

As for Medo-Persia being inferior to Nebudchadnezzar's Babylon, it was inferior in culture and splendor. Alexanders kingdom brought in Greek culture which was not inferior.

As for ignoring the kingdoms that split from Alexander, I am not. We are getting there. Daniel 8 addressed this specifically. The goat with a notable horn "the goat became great, but when he became strong, the large horn was broken, and in place of it four notable ones came up toward the four winds". "And the male goat is the kingdom of Greece. The large horn between it's eyes is the first king. As for the broken horn and the four that stood up in its place, four kingdoms shall arise out of that nation, but not with its power"

The gloves do fit and very well. At this point you can try to make the case that one of these four powers that rise up out of Alexanders kingdom are part of the great image, but we shall see.

As you pointed these prophecies refer to the last days or time of the end. This and other factors will help us to positively identify the powers mentioned in Daniel. At least the Ptolemaic and Seleucid kingdoms make more sense than Darius.

I will proceed in the identification and verification of the kingdoms mentioned in Daniel. This will encompass more than just Daniel 2, or small portions of scripture taken out of context.

More later.

1. Yes, it certainly was nice of Paul and his fellows to make sure that they added in a "We knew this would happen - God said so" clause when the Jews didn't buy into Jesus being God.

2. To cover for your lapse in covering chapter 2, you are adding the vision in chapter 8? Why?

3. Whose "last days"? His, the disciples or (the alleged) ours? "Last days" has been a nice set of weasel words for the last 2000 years.

4. Out of context? Or merely disagreeing with your interpretation?

— George Carlin

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:1.Matter wasn't

Quote:
1.Matter wasn't created - it was changed from energy and expanded. It's still playing by the rules. Adding in your God to add other stuff - not so much

do you presume that everyone is stupid or have you saved it up for me? Hey chaps.....over here!!..........this guy's discovered self-generating energy!

Quote:
2. I'm not a materialist so it doesn't apply to me. Materialism is not atheism. Logic is in nature and nature plays by the rules.

ah, so you believe in non material entities.......where do they come from then?

Quote:
3. I can imagine things going well. I can make things go well. I'm just not going to attribute my good work to God when he did nothing to make it happen.

yes you're totally autonomous........your very own little god. 

Quote:
I am not going to absolve him from the atrocities he's committed or has had other commit in his name because it will all come out in the end.

why would a non existent person require absolution?........have you ever stopped to reflect on the absurd knots atheists tie themselves in?

Quote:
Do you worship God or Machiavelli?

my answer would mean nothing to you........you think they're the same person.

Quote:
4.Personal proofs aren't helpful when you are trying to objectively lay things out to another.

that's because you're a relativist. As such, you have no way of recognising objectivity.

Quote:
5. I have no difficulty with the Bible. I have simply read the entire thing. I didn't skip over the parts that made god look bad.

no, that's right......and being totally inference prone, that fixed your concept of God which you now nurse like a comfort blanket. It never occurred to you for a moment that perhaps there were things you didn't understand.........that's what comes of being totally autonomous.  

Quote:
How's your cafeteria Christianity going?
it's great thanks.......and applies everywhere. No doubt you'd do a better job........no hypocrisy there then.

Quote:
 scintillating reparte...........there's a parrot in the room! 

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:This looks like

Quote:
This looks like justification on your part for your actions demonstrating that you have most likely a problem in comprehension. Whether it be from convenience or a biological anomaly it creates a false reality creating suspicion that you simply cannot understand logically anything that may contradict your beliefs.

If I have a comprehension problem then it should be an advantage to you. So far you appear to have failed to employ it. This looks remarkably like one of those atheist smoke screens when confronted with an irrefutable argument.

You said:

Quote:

Given your appallingly muddled syntax, any normal person would have put it down to a common misunderstanding but you throw your toys out of the pram and go off on one, incorporating all sorts of nonsensical allegations along the way. Why can't you bring yourself to admit that all the evidence shows that Daniel cannot possibly be a late addition to scripture and pin your atheistic hopes on the notion that the accepted interpretation of Daniel's image is incorrect. Bear in mind that whatever minutiae you get into vis a vis Greece, the crunch point is Rome and you face an uphill task countering the obvious references to known historical events.

I have to say I admire gramps' tenacity but I'm not clear where you think you're going with this. Let's say, for the sake of argument you managed to construct a rationally feasible alternative interpretation. There are variations of interpretation around........eg some are  pre-trib, some post-trib etc........so what? As an atheist does that get you closer to debunking God? Obviously somebody meant something by it. If you could have shown that Daniel was a fabrication; that foretelling was impossible then at best it would put a question mark over the Reformed canon and you could legitimately question the claim that the Spirit 'leads into all truth', since he's allowed the Body of Christ to be deceived all these years. 

Quote:
f you lack the ability to stay on track and comprehend incorrectly from what is said by poor understanding it casts doubt on your ability to understand the subject under discussion and your comprehension of scripture and history.

this is an exceptionally thin veneer with which to cover your total failure to address my argument.

Quote:
Next we have the Joseph Goebbels Technique of repetition. Repeat the misrepresentation over and over and some will believe the deception.

I along with all the angels of Heaven await with bated breath your exposition of  how Revelation "discredits itself"

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
freeminer

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

do you presume that everyone is stupid or have you saved it up for me? Hey chaps.....over here!!..........this guy's discovered self-generating energy!

Quote:

ah, so you believe in non material entities.......where do they come from then?

Quote:
3. I can imagine things going well. I can make things go well. I'm just not going to attribute my good work to God when he did nothing to make it happen.

yes you're totally autonomous........your very own little god. 

Quote:
I am not going to absolve him from the atrocities he's committed or has had other commit in his name because it will all come out in the end.

why would a non existent person require absolution?........have you ever stopped to reflect on the absurd knots atheists tie themselves in?

Quote:
Do you worship God or Machiavelli?

my answer would mean nothing to you........you think they're the same person.

Quote:

that's because you're a relativist. As such, you have no way of recognising objectivity.

Quote:
5. I have no difficulty with the Bible. I have simply read the entire thing. I didn't skip over the parts that made god look bad.

no, that's right......and being totally inference prone, that fixed your concept of God which you now nurse like a comfort blanket. It never occurred to you for a moment that perhaps there were things you didn't understand.........that's what comes of being totally autonomous.  

Quote:
How's your cafeteria Christianity going?
it's great thanks.......and applies everywhere. No doubt you'd do a better job........no hypocrisy there then.

Quote:
 scintillating reparte...........there's a parrot in the room! 

1. So you only know part of the law of conservation of matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed by can be changed from one to the other. Do you your Bible that selectively? Seems like you got plenty of stupid to me.

2. No, I'm not my own little god. I just do this little thing called taking responsibility for my words and actions. Yeah, it's an asshole thing to do but I don't have a God I can blame things on or that has such a poor ego that he needs credit for my efforts.

3. You believe he exists and are absolving him - I feel obligated to let people know when they are wasting time that could be used more constructively. I'm such a bastard.

4. Oh, i have proof Machiavelli exists - see, he wrote these things called books and plays. What do you have for God?

5. You mean the God-concept that you're showing to me with Biblical support? No, it didn't occur to me that there were things I didn't  understand because I researched the Bible for myself. I didn't take the word of one of the many god-salesmen out there.

6. Of course your Christianity applies everywhere - you cull out the parts that scare you. I don't know if I'd do a better job - I wouldn't require everyone to kiss my ass so it would definitely be different

7. I see you're not immune to the presumptions - you were just kind enough to reveal your lack of knowledge as well. Thanks so much, fuckwit.

8. freeminer, why are you so against relativism? Christians are the biggest relativists of all - they just say they don't have a personal conviction about <x> and it frees them up.

9. Just for giggles, how did you get your atheist badge? Judging from your posts you're as atheist as Billy Graham.

— George Carlin

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:First let me

gramster wrote:

First let me be clear. I am not interested in what the Jews believe.

I can understand how you might want to distance yourself from them, after all they do have some strange ideas. Man is born a pure soul and can return it to God in the same condition as opposed to man is born into sin. As to sin, Jews look at it as offences that must have reparations and reconcillation not just forgiveness. So for example if you steal your neighbor's car and wreck it and the priest or pastor tells you ask God for forgiveness and sin no more and you do, all is right between you and the god. What has not been made right is what you have done to your neighbor. In Judaism you have not made amends. You still need to correct and make amends to those who have been wronged by you. Christianity does not specifically address sin in this fashion with far more emphasis on sins against the god and very little consideration for makiing amends for the damage one has caused. What if you killed your neighbor or commited adultery with his wife? How do you make that right? Ask God to forgive you. How do you make amends to the neighbor's family in these cases?

gramster wrote:

Scripture makes it clear that they would get things wrong and "miss the boat".

Does it? Your opinion is noted, but not proven.

gramster wrote:

Freeminer already addressed this so we don't need to waste the time.

Opinions and assertions were made, Proof was not substantiated. 

If I were you I would consider finding a better ally.

gramster wrote:

The problem then is later on claims are made in regards to the Earth's end or end times. How do we go from the subset you create here of only the general area to the whole planet?

In creating a subset where"whole Earth" is only the general area you can't suddenly transform this interpretation to be the entire planet without showing knowledge of it which does not come for 2,000 years. How do you plan to do that?

Limiting "the whole earth" to only be the small part of the world they knew is again your opinion and will create problems when you attempt to use Daniel to address the end times.

gramster wrote:

As for Medo-Persia being inferior to Nebudchadnezzar's Babylon, it was inferior in culture and splendor.

These are opinions. Persia lasted as I mentioned almost 6 times longer than Babylon under Nebuchadnezzar. In addition, it was Cyrus that allowed the Jews to worship Yahweh openly and return home, as he saw Yahweh as an underling god of Ahora Mazada.

gramster wrote:

Alexanders kingdom brought in Greek culture which was not inferior.

Greek culture encompasses things that you most likely abhor as well.

gramster wrote:

More later.

I await your detailed explanations to substantiate these opinions. Also, don't forget to show how your subset of "the whole Earth" is expanded to the entire planet.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Kingdoms

As for the Jews, for now, we will go with "I don't place much stock on what they believe". You are free to place whatever value you wish. There is some merit in the study of ancient Jewish beliefs as it can help us gain some perspective. But that's about it.

As for freeminer as an ally, he has his own views. I am sure they differ some from mine. From time to time I will probably refer to his blogs just as I do yours.

As to making "the jump" from the prophecies refering to just one small region of the planet to the whole earth, you are getting ahead of yourself. I have as of yet made any such claims. If and/or when I do, I will at that point give my reasons for doing so.

As for Medo-Persia being inferior refering to culture rather than length of reign and power that is the way I see it. You see it differently. That is a matter of personal interpretation. Either view could be correct.

Yes, Greek culture is full of paganism and pagan values. It does not agree with Christianity.

As we continue, I will focus on the kingdoms I believe are being referred to and why. As we go forward I believe the other kingdoms will drop out along the way. That is what we will be looking at.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:As for the

gramster wrote:

As for the Jews, for now, we will go with "I don't place much stock on what they believe". You are free to place whatever value you wish. There is some merit in the study of ancient Jewish beliefs as it can help us gain some perspective. But that's about it.

As for freeminer as an ally, he has his own views. I am sure they differ some from mine. From time to time I will probably refer to his blogs just as I do yours.

As to making "the jump" from the prophecies refering to just one small region of the planet to the whole earth, you are getting ahead of yourself. I have as of yet made any such claims. If and/or when I do, I will at that point give my reasons for doing so.

As for Medo-Persia being inferior refering to culture rather than length of reign and power that is the way I see it. You see it differently. That is a matter of personal interpretation. Either view could be correct.

Yes, Greek culture is full of paganism and pagan values. It does not agree with Christianity.

As we continue, I will focus on the kingdoms I believe are being referred to and why. As we go forward I believe the other kingdoms will drop out along the way. That is what we will be looking at.aka

Interesting.

Are you saying you don't place much stock in the Bible? A bunch of Jews did write it (except for the heretics that wrote the parts you like aka the replacement religion).

Greek culture doesn't agree with Christianity? True enough. Christianity is a Roman construct whose texts were written in Greek. Why else would the religion be so friendly with the conquerors?

I look forward to your attempts at moving from Alexander and Antiochus to the EU vs. Israel and the US, for example. You might even go as far as including bin Laden. Or how when Daniel mentions "days" it really means "years"

— George Carlin

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
freeminer wrote: Quote:This

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

If I have a comprehension problem then it should be an advantage to you. So far you appear to have failed to employ it. This looks remarkably like one of those atheist smoke screens when confronted with an irrefutable argument.

You said:

Quote:

Given your appallingly muddled syntax, any normal person would have put it down to a common misunderstanding but you throw your toys out of the pram and go off on one, incorporating all sorts of nonsensical allegations along the way. Why can't you bring yourself to admit that all the evidence shows that Daniel cannot possibly be a late addition to scripture and pin your atheistic hopes on the notion that the accepted interpretation of Daniel's image is incorrect. Bear in mind that whatever minutiae you get into vis a vis Greece, the crunch point is Rome and you face an uphill task countering the obvious references to known historical events.

So you are saying you misunderstood what I said. Really, that's all that was needed from you. I will watch very carefully from here on what I say to you so that you can follow my meaning.

freeminer wrote:

I have to say I admire gramps' tenacity but I'm not clear where you think you're going with this. Let's say, for the sake of argument you managed to construct a rationally feasible alternative interpretation. There are variations of interpretation around........eg some are  pre-trib, some post-trib etc........so what? As an atheist does that get you closer to debunking God? Obviously somebody meant something by it. If you could have shown that Daniel was a fabrication; that foretelling was impossible then at best it would put a question mark over the Reformed canon and you could legitimately question the claim that the Spirit 'leads into all truth', since he's allowed the Body of Christ to be deceived all these years.

Threads go where they may, this one keeps trying to go off-track.

All ancient writing meant something to someone or it would not have been written. Just because "Enki and the World Order" was written in ancient Sumer doesn't mean it's true and reality based. But I guess you see this different somehow when it has to do with scripture.

Do you see scripture as true unless it can be shown to be not true?

So far, in Daniel there are historical accuracy questions. Is Daniel to be taken as true when conflicting differances occur in Babylonian & Persian records. Which to accept or reject? All? None? Which one? If so, why?

freeminer wrote:

Quote:
f you lack the ability to stay on track and comprehend incorrectly from what is said by poor understanding it casts doubt on your ability to understand the subject under discussion and your comprehension of scripture and history.

this is an exceptionally thin veneer with which to cover your total failure to address my argument.

I didn't address your arguments because I was waiting for you to address the "misunderstanding".

freeminer wrote:

Quote:

I along with all the angels of Heaven await with bated breath your exposition of  how Revelation "discredits itself"

OK, feel free to start another thread where you state your position on Revelation's application to the real world. 

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:So you are saying

Quote:
So you are saying you misunderstood what I said. Really, that's all that was needed from you. I will watch very carefully from here on what I say to you so that you can follow my meaning.

I'll reciprocate by paying more careful attention to your sentence construction.......but surely your case  is that Daniel refutes itself anyway?

Quote:

Quote:
Threads go where they may, this one keeps trying to go off-track.

yes I'm aware of the 'wayward' content of my  other conversation!

Quote:
All ancient writing meant something to someone or it would not have been written. Just because "Enki and the World Order" was written in ancient Sumer doesn't mean it's true and reality based.

hmm........but Daniel is hardly entertaining fiction. I was really asking the question, does the idea that it is arbitrary fabrication stand up to rational examination because that's what your line of argument with gramps seemed to be suggesting.

Quote:
But I guess you see this different somehow when it has to do with scripture.

well, I'm always arguing for the rationality of scripture. If God's communication to Man is not both rational and firmly rooted in space/time history........then forget it. This surprises some atheists because they equate  rationality with empiricism........it ain't necessarily so. If you want to see where I'm coming from ie get an insight into the intellectual basis of Christianity, you may find useful stuff on the L'Abri website.

Quote:
Do you see scripture as true unless it can be shown to be not true?

by no means..........if I did, then the standard atheist "fairies at the bottom of the garden'' jibe, would be justified  

Quote:
So far, in Daniel there are historical accuracy questions. Is Daniel to be taken as true when conflicting differances occur in Babylonian & Persian records. Which to accept or reject? All? None? Which one? If so, why?

I assume you've highlighted these with gramps? I'll look back over your conversation more carefully. I think I replied to the point about Nabodius myself. I would point out that the Bible has a record of being proved correct eventually though I am not putting that forward as a reason why you should be unquestioning.

Quote:
I didn't address your arguments because I was waiting for you to address the "misunderstanding".

can we stop being hacked off with each other now?!

Quote:

OK, feel free to start another thread where you state your position on Revelation's application to the real world. 

shall we wait until Daniel is dealt with?

but as a synopsis/preview:

Contrary to mystical Catholic eschatology, it all has implications for the real world.

1] letters to the churches - multilayered interpretation [historical and future]. Remainder of revelation future and fundamentally sequential though dealing with events on Earth and in Heaven.

2] The Throne of God

3] Jewish evangelists

4] Judgment on the Earth

5] Rise of the Antichrist.

6] Gospel returned to the Earth

7] Destruction of 'Babylon'.

8] Marriage Supper of the Lamb

9] Second Coming of Christ [Zechariah 14 ]/Armageddon

10] Millennial rule of Christ

11] Last Judgment

12] New Heavens and New Earth.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:1. So you only know

Quote:
1. So you only know part of the law of conservation of matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed by can be changed from one to the other. Do you your Bible that selectively? Seems like you got plenty of stupid to me.

I'd have thought you'd at least have had the sense to quit digging when in a hole! Apparently not! You will now please explain to the assembled masses how you extract genesis ex nihilo from any Universal Law.

Quote:
2. No, I'm not my own little god. I just do this little thing called taking responsibility for my words and actions.

no you don't you're answerable only to the law of the land 

Quote:
Yeah, it's an asshole thing to do but I don't have a God I can blame things on or that has such a poor ego that he needs credit for my efforts.

I'm aware that we need to make allowances but God "needs' nothing by definition.

Quote:
3. You believe he exists and are absolving him -

but you said you were........no I don't recognise the need of "absolution" because, not being a 'cafeteria Christian', I recognise what you call his "evil" as his justice. You may have justice or mercy........your call.

Quote:
I feel obligated to let people know when they are wasting time that could be used more constructively. I'm such a bastard.

you didn't let me know........but that's ok.

Quote:
4. Oh, i have proof Machiavelli exists - see, he wrote these things called books and plays. What do you have for God?

oh, he wrote a whole library of books.........and  the whole library are bestsellers........pretty cool!

Quote:
5. You mean the God-concept that you're showing to me with Biblical support? No, it didn't occur to me that there were things I didn't  understand because I researched the Bible for myself.
unfortunately, this guarantees nothing.........liberal theologians spend whole lifetimes on it and are still none the wiser.

Quote:
I didn't take the word of one of the many god-salesmen out there.

well, that's a start at least.

Quote:
6. Of course your Christianity applies everywhere - you cull out the parts that scare you.

I don't know where you got this idea from..........I'm perfectly prepared to say that Hell awaits you and why! 

Quote:
I don't know if I'd do a better job - I wouldn't require everyone to kiss my ass so it would definitely be different

there are a strictly limited number of people I require in contact with my ass and..........sorry to disappoint you, you're not on the list.

Quote:
7. I see you're not immune to the presumptions - you were just kind enough to reveal your lack of knowledge as well.

we await your answer to the ex nihilo genesis question with ill-suppressed wonderment! 

Quote:
Thanks so much, fuckwit.

aaaah! I see we've exhausted your vocabulary!

Quote:
8. freeminer, why are you so against relativism?

it's simply the last resort of those who've lost their grip on the real thing.........they go on using terms like "evil" without the vaguest clue what they're talking about............then they start believing the absurd, like ex nihilo genesis within a cause/effect system!! 

Quote:
Christians are the biggest relativists of all - they just say they don't have a personal conviction about <x> and it frees them up.

I can't imagine who you've been speaking to but I'm packed to the gunwhales with "personal conviction"

Quote:
9. Just for giggles, how did you get your atheist badge? Judging from your posts you're as atheist as Billy Graham.

I take that as a sincere compliment..........though I'm sure Graham is far too sanctified to use terms like "ass" unless donkeys are in view!........anyway, I'd quite like to hold on to it, however I came by it.

freeminer
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Scripture makes it

Quote:
Scripture makes it clear that they would get things wrong and "miss the boat".

Does it? Your opinion is noted, but not proven.

gramster wrote:

Freeminer already addressed this so we don't need to waste the time.

Opinions and assertions were made, Proof was not substantiated. 

re this; I would just  like to say, "oh yes it was" I gave texts from both Isaiah and Matthew to show that the Bible itself states that the Jews would never understand. The fact that they have "missed the boat" is merely a matter of record up to the present day. Their rejection of Christ as a nation will continue up to Armageddon. I posted a whole list of prophecies relating to Christ. It is possible, if one is prepared to become irrational, to reject any level of proof.......it is all down to how much a man wants truth.