Just Ask Grandpa - A Christian answers tough questions and debunks common myths

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Just Ask Grandpa - A Christian answers tough questions and debunks common myths

Way too many "delusional myths", and unanswered questions on this site. One cannot rationally disbelieve something unless they have a clear picture of what it is that they do not believe. Since I do not see these myths and false perceptions answered properly in terms of simple reasoning I shall attempt to do it myself.

Myth #1. God will burn "sinners" in "HELL" throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity. This is not supported in the bible. It is merely a false doctrine that entered the church during the dark ages. It has it's roots in paganism. Unfortunately most Christians still believe this myth. Ultimately those who choose to accept Gods gift of eternal life will go on to live forever in a world without all the suffering and horrors of this world. Those who do not accept His gift will cease to exist and have nothing to do with God as they have chosen and wished for. Sounds pretty fair to me!

If God were indeed to burn anybody throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity (including the devil) He would be the most terrible monster one could imagine. I myself would join the movement in defying and blasting God. Fortunately we have a loving creator God that will not and would not do that.

Rather than writing a 20 page study on the topic of death and hell, I will just give a website that those interested can visit that will clearly and definitively clear this myth up. It is hell truth.com.

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
GRAMPS IS WANTING TO STICK TO PROPHECY

gramster wrote:

danatemporary wrote:

I am curious if the Book of Revelation and the book of Daniel can be harmonized ?

Reply:

"'You are right.  Daniel and Revelation are interrelated and should be studied together'"

Hi Gramps  I have a horrible cold, not knowing why I came over.  It makes it hard to think. From what I see, I feel you are getting battered and bruised. Can I ask a honestly kinder and gentler question ? A bit self-indulgent, maybe your empathic nature will allow it ?  No?  I am curious if the Book of Revelation and the book of Daniel can be harmonized ? I admitted ask this due to the fact you wish to speak on the book of Daniel which narrows the subject matter to a ridiculous tiny amount of  information.

Wanting to know the future is a very old desire. .

Hi Dana

You are right.  Daniel and Revelation are interrelated and should be studied together.

Gramps

GRAMPS  IS WANTING TO STICK TO PROPHECY   Sure  why not ?

Please  allow Gramps  to stick  to prophecy   Okay ?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dana

danatemporary wrote:

gramster wrote:

danatemporary wrote:

I am curious if the Book of Revelation and the book of Daniel can be harmonized ?

Reply:

"'You are right.  Daniel and Revelation are interrelated and should be studied together'"

Hi Gramps  I have a horrible cold, not knowing why I came over.  It makes it hard to think. From what I see, I feel you are getting battered and bruised. Can I ask a honestly kinder and gentler question ? A bit self-indulgent, maybe your empathic nature will allow it ?  No?  I am curious if the Book of Revelation and the book of Daniel can be harmonized ? I admitted ask this due to the fact you wish to speak on the book of Daniel which narrows the subject matter to a ridiculous tiny amount of  information.

Wanting to know the future is a very old desire. .

Hi Dana

You are right.  Daniel and Revelation are interrelated and should be studied together.

Gramps

GRAMPS  IS WANTING TO STICK TO PROPHECY   Sure  why not ?

Please  allow Gramps  to stick  to prophecy   Okay ?

Gramps can do whatever he likes. No one stops him from expressing his ideas.

If he wants to discuss Revelation and Daniel together he is free to do so.

Whether I or anyone else will bother with his views and discussion is undetermined based on our own freedom of choice to participate or not.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gramps

gramster wrote:

For example, if I point out how accurately the text fits the bible character of Jesus, instead of discussing if that is correct Paul John wants to side track into a whole new and complex discussion on the Jesus issue. He could, for the sake of argument, state that he does not believe in the biblical Jesus, but will discuss whether or not the text could actually apply to him whether he be fictional or real.

Every point we discuss is turned into a side trail or circus. I do not believe it would be possible to discuss both books in a logical or reasonable manner. It is likely not possible to do so with just Daniel alone, but I will make another attempt to do so. 

What you miss is this:

Paraphrased Gramps wrote:

For example, if I point out how accurately the text fits the possibility of Superman, instead of discussing if that is correct Gramps wants to side track into a whole new and complex discussion on the merits of Aliens existing at all issue. He could, for the sake of argument, state that he does not believe in Aliens existing at all, but will discuss whether or not the text could actually apply to them whether they be fictional or real.

I have been clear what I think of the Jesus character in this thread. I see him as an unproven character in another story telling legend. In order to jump into a discussion if the Jesus is coming back as suggested in Revelation, one must first go through a discussion in regard to his existence.

Just as one must establish that aliens exist on other planets, if Krypton was a real planet, if they had advanced technology, and if the difference in the type of star would enable a person from such planet to have super powers, the Jesus must be examined in detail to discuss his basis and possibilities.

Otherwise, let's just discuss Superman.

I don't choose to have the discussion between Daniel and Revelation without going through the basis of the character the Jesus.

This however doesn't stop you from having that discussion with someone else.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Inability to logically discuss............................

ntrl86 wrote:

Can we discuss the dates that the gospels of the bible were written and how that corresponds with how accurate third hand accounts of what happened can be? Or could we address the similarities of the stories of the bible to other books of faith written centuries before the bible was ever thought of? 

Greetings

Sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately you have come at at time when gramps is in the process of deciding whether there is any point in trying to discuss anything with atheists. Up to this point, I have not seen any evidence that there is anyone on this site that is willing and/or capable of having a straight forward discussion about anything.

I will no longer waste my time discussing anything with anybody unless they demonstrate reasonable and proper discussion methods. I have come to the conclusion that they must not have much to stand on if they continually have to resort to these tactics.

Can gramps prove the existence of God and the validity of the Bible?

To a reasonable person? Yes. To an avid atheist or "skeptic"? No.

Unfortunately I have not found atheists to be either reasonable or rational. Otherwise they would be able to have a discussion or debate in a straight forward manner, and not have to use multiple tactics to try to derail a reasonable discussion.

I will be taking a few weeks to contemplate whether or not I want to return to this site, and if there is any reason for me to believe that a rational conversation can take place here.

I will no longer waste my time on nonsense.

Gramps.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Inability to logically discuss............................

ntrl86 wrote:

Can we discuss the dates that the gospels of the bible were written and how that corresponds with how accurate third hand accounts of what happened can be? Or could we address the similarities of the stories of the bible to other books of faith written centuries before the bible was ever thought of? 

Greetings

Sorry for the delay.

Unfortunately you have come at at time when gramps is in the process of deciding whether there is any point in trying to discuss anything with atheists. Up to this point, I have not seen any evidence that there is anyone on this site that is willing and/or capable of having a straight forward discussion about anything.

I will no longer waste my time discussing anything with anybody unless they demonstrate reasonable and proper discussion methods. I have come to the conclusion that they must not have much to stand on if they continually have to resort to these tactics.

Unfortunately I have not found atheists to be either reasonable or rational. Otherwise they would be able to have a discussion or debate in a straight forward manner, and not have to use multiple tactics to try to derail a reasonable discussion.

I will be taking a few weeks to contemplate whether or not I want to return to this site, and if there is any reason for me to believe that a rational conversation can take place here.

Gramps.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:ntrl86

gramster wrote:

ntrl86 wrote:

Greetings

Sorry for the delay.

Gramps.

In other words, Gramps wants to stop the fight he started because he's been losing for quite a while. 

This is indicated by his re-defining of "reasonable person" to "person that agrees with Gramps".

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:gramster

jcgadfly wrote:

gramster wrote:

ntrl86 wrote:

Greetings

Sorry for the delay.

Gramps.

In other words, Gramps wants to stop the fight he started because he's been losing for quite a while. 

This is indicated by his re-defining of "reasonable person" to "person that agrees with Gramps".

Greetings Gadfly

No, you oversimplify things sooooo much! It is not always about winning and losing. For me it is more about having a reasonable and logical conversation.

I have many things to do, and have come to the realization that having a straight forward and logical conversation will never happen here.

The definition of insanity I like the best goes something like this. For someone to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

The results I am looking for is not to "win", or even to convince anyone that I am right. It is simply to have a reasonable and logical discussion. That does not happen here.

I have made many mistakes along the way. That's OK. For one not to make mistakes one has to be dead. And for one not to make many mistakes one has to be hiding inside of safe and familiar territories.

I am not one to do that. This internet discussion stuff is new to me. Like most thing I do, I jumped right in. That's OK. It has been fun and educational.

I like and respect most of the people on this site. Especially Paul John who I have had most of my conversations with. But that does not change the fact that trying to have a logical discussion with him or others on this site does not appear to be a realistic expectation.

For now I am focusing on other things. Later I will probably return. I am still contemplating that.

I have also enjoyed your sharp comments and input. They have helped make things fun and interesting.

Gramps.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Atheism a Choice

Philosophicus wrote:

gramster wrote:

Ultimately those who choose to accept Gods gift of eternal life will go on to live forever in a world without all the suffering and horrors of this world. Those who do not accept His gift will cease to exist and have nothing to do with God as they have chosen and wished for. Sounds pretty fair to me!

If God were indeed to burn anybody throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity (including the devil) He would be the most terrible monster one could imagine. I myself would join the movement in defying and blasting God. Fortunately we have a loving creator God that will not and would not do that.

A deity that sent good creatures to a place to be tortured for eternity sure would be evil.  The alternative of taking them out of existence for eternity, painlessly, is much better.  But why doesn't your deity enact compulsory salvation?  That would be the opposite of compulsory damnation, and better than your middle ground of compulsory unconsciousness.

I don't like the part of your post where you say that atheists have chosen to not have anything to do with God.  It misrepresents most atheists.  Most people are atheists because there's no evidence of any deities.  You're implying that atheists know that there is a God, and that they have chosen to reject Him.  That's false.

So if you found out that the real interpretation of Christian scripture is that Jesus intends to send non-followers to hell, you would become an atheist?  That wouldn't make sense.  You should remain a theist at that point and realize that you're following an evil dictator.  Better yet, you could re-examine your reasons for believing in a deity in the first place.  You could be wrong.

First, God does not enact compulsory unconsciousness. He does not enact compulsory anything. He simply does not grant eternal life to those who choose a path of rejection from Him and his principles of righteousness. He will not eternalize sin and the resulting suffering it causes.

Second, The reason I refer to people who have "chosen" to be atheists is because of the great lengths they will go to defend their "religion". They even go so far as to deliberately keep taking a conversation in circles pointlessly to avoid facing the issue of God straight on. And often distort or fabricate facts to avoid facing the truth about God.

To me that indicates a choice. That is the main reason I have taken a long break from "discussing" any complicated issues. It becomes just a waste of time.