Just Ask Grandpa - A Christian answers tough questions and debunks common myths

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Just Ask Grandpa - A Christian answers tough questions and debunks common myths

Way too many "delusional myths", and unanswered questions on this site. One cannot rationally disbelieve something unless they have a clear picture of what it is that they do not believe. Since I do not see these myths and false perceptions answered properly in terms of simple reasoning I shall attempt to do it myself.

Myth #1. God will burn "sinners" in "HELL" throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity. This is not supported in the bible. It is merely a false doctrine that entered the church during the dark ages. It has it's roots in paganism. Unfortunately most Christians still believe this myth. Ultimately those who choose to accept Gods gift of eternal life will go on to live forever in a world without all the suffering and horrors of this world. Those who do not accept His gift will cease to exist and have nothing to do with God as they have chosen and wished for. Sounds pretty fair to me!

If God were indeed to burn anybody throughout the ceaseless ages of eternity (including the devil) He would be the most terrible monster one could imagine. I myself would join the movement in defying and blasting God. Fortunately we have a loving creator God that will not and would not do that.

Rather than writing a 20 page study on the topic of death and hell, I will just give a website that those interested can visit that will clearly and definitively clear this myth up. It is hell truth.com.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
es35 wrote:This is not

es35 wrote:

This is not supported by the fact that faith leads many theists to harass, abuse or even kill nonbelievers or adherents of different faiths. 

People will do many stupid things and use any means to justify their actions no matter how "left fielded" their claims might be.  There is nothing in scripture to support such actions and in fact there is a lot in scripture that condemns such actions.  Can't blame the faith for people's extreme  behavior despite how they try to justify it. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
es35 wrote:There is so much

es35 wrote:

There is so much that is untrue, distorted or simply fabricated in this that it's difficult to briefly respond  (biblical predictions correct?  absurd!; evolution false? absurd; and on and on and on).

Granted there is a lot that can be said about each.  Though your statement doesn't make any progress to your stance or support anything.  a theist can claim the same thing in the same manner you stated... e.g. (Biblical predictions incorrect?  absurd!) etc.  maybe pick a focus and talk about it step by step if it is in fact of interest to you to discuss or debunk, however you want to put it.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
es35 wrote:And what about

es35 wrote:

And what about all the times jesus was supposed to return and the world end?  Didn't happen Gramster.  Are you open to evidence or reason at all??

I'm sure Gramster would be considering the Bible elaborates on how people falsely thought Jesus was going to present himself as an earthly king when he came and that everything would be done at Jesus' first coming.  If this was the case, then the book of Revelation wouldn't be at all necessary and be rather a history of what had already happened. 

The Bible specifically states that no one knows the date and time of Jesus' return.  Therefore your statement that there ever was a 'supposed return' time or many for that matter has no support anywhere except maybe in far left religious cults. 

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:People will

caposkia wrote:

People will do many stupid things and use any means to justify their actions no matter how "left fielded" their claims might be.  There is nothing in scripture to support such actions and in fact there is a lot in scripture that condemns such actions.  Can't blame the faith for people's extreme  behavior despite how they try to justify it. 

So those "straight pride" t-shirts with Leviticus on the back : Not the right kind of "faith" ?

Okay, I won't blame "the faith", whatever that may be (and I have a feeling that, conveniently, no-one will be able to agree on that).

So can you blame their faith ?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:The Bible

caposkia wrote:
The Bible specifically states that no one knows the date and time of Jesus' return.

Could have been and gone a bunch of times. Who'd notice ?

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Kingdoms and Chasms

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

gramster wrote:

l. On pg 359 Cowles tries to make the case that the 10 horns must necessarily be kings and not kingdoms. However as he pointed out on pg 351, the terms are used interchangeably. He also pointed out that a kingdom is often embodied or represented by it's king. I do not find that any solid case has been made precluding these 10 horns from being kingdoms.

Cowles than spends several pages trying to make these prophecies fit AE IV. He does a pretty good job of making most of the points fit for now so we will not dispute this until further chapters shine further light on to this.

Than starting on pg 368 Cowles gives a summary of reasons he rejects the Roman Theory. We will look at any points here we may have missed.

Cowles claims Pagan Rome is out of analogy because it is not a proper successor kingdom.

If Rome did not succeed the Egyptian and Syrian kingdoms, than who did? History makes it clear that both these sections of Alexanders kingdom fell into Roman hands.

Yes, Rome consisted of more than just this, and parts of Alexanders kingdom did not fall into Roman hands. But the areas that most affected the Jews did. And more importantly it was under Roman dominion that Christ was crucified.

more later.

On l) - As kings, these horns perfectly fit the kings in the succession of the Seleucid Kingdom without resorting to any guess work. Cowles comments on page 351 explained why they were used interchangeably and that "the more full and precise statements must prevail over the one that is brief and general..." and "the king finds his type in the horn, for the horn is the executive power of the beast, but has no power apart from the beast. And so of the king." Cowles is very clear why this analogy supports kings not kingdoms, that you wish to see it otherwise is obviously to support your Roman theory.

Cowles does a great job of showing how Daniel 7 fits Antiochus 4 which when you get to your theory we can do a side by side comparison.

Cowles opens his argument on p 368 why Roman theory does not fit, and its based on primarily it does not fit the analogy because Pagan Rome would have involved a huge chasm of 400 years and over 600 years for Papal Rome. In addition he claims that they  are  not standing in the same political relationship to the Jews. With Rome, it disregards the relationship of the visions to the Jews "and his special circumstances as patron, protector and father." It disregards that the war with the saints of the most high is between the little horn and the Jews. Cowles has much more, but so far you haven't presented your side so until you do, it's not clear exactly which position you are taking with what you consider to fit with your Roman view. More comments on this once I see what you are going to actually present.

You are missing the entire points Cowles made in regard to what was a "proper successor kingdom." If the Syrian kingdom was the 4th beast it does not matter if the Ming dynasty came next as the prophecy was already completed with the Seleucids and Antiochus 4 as the little horn. Since you saw things differently and are not seeing the 4th beast as the Syrian kingdom, you can't get there from where you are as you have taken a different road.

Since you previously gave a general idea of your views and interpretations I do know where you are going, but I'll hold comments until I see you construct it with supporting arguments.

As for i, it looks like I need to elaborate more on this one.

In Daniel 7:17, the 4 beasts are first referred to as kings. In vs 23 and 24 they are referred to as kingdoms. This reference to them as kingdoms does make these powers more than kings. That is clear. What it does not do is define the 10 horns as kings only, and not kingdoms. These also could be kingdoms represented by their first kings.

Cowles uses as part of his argument to support this, the "fact" that each of the 4 kingdoms were mainly embodied in one king. This is true of Nebuchadnezzar, and mostly true of Alexander the Great. This can be said of Cyrus in the early stages of the "Medo-Persian" kingdom. When it comes to the 4th kingdom we are back to the reasoning that this one is embodied by AE IV because he was such a nasty little bugger to the Jews.

This is pretty "choppy" reasoning. He also makes the statement that a horn has no power apart from the beast. This is said to help support that the horns "must" be kings only, and not kingdoms.

In Daniel 8:22, the 4 kingdoms are represented by horns, not beasts. This seems to conflict with Cowles reasoning above. My point is that horns are not necessarily only kings. Cowles than puts forth an argument based upon very speculative reasoning that seems reasonable enough, but does not go as far as to "prove" his point.

It is a good point, pretty well reasoned out, and noted as such, but it is not the only valid position that can be taken on this. Cowles has far from proving his point, and definitely not made a strong enough argument to rule out the 10 horns from being or becoming 10 kingdoms.

Looking at the symbolism logically, 10 kingdoms that arise out of a previous kingdom could hardly be represented as 10 beasts sprouting from the previous beasts head. Beasts don't grow beasts out of their head. They grow horns. I suppose the 4th beast could have given birth to 10 "little beasties". But it would be more natural for them to be horns, representing a power growing up out of the realm of the previous power.

We can not make a solid conclusion based on this kind of reasoning. Therefore I can not agree with Cowles that this is proof "beyond all question".

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
No Chasm and No Problem - No Issue

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

l. On pg 359 Cowles tries to make the case that the 10 horns must necessarily be kings and not kingdoms. However as he pointed out on pg 351, the terms are used interchangeably. He also pointed out that a kingdom is often embodied or represented by it's king. I do not find that any solid case has been made precluding these 10 horns from being kingdoms.

Cowles than spends several pages trying to make these prophecies fit AE IV. He does a pretty good job of making most of the points fit for now so we will not dispute this until further chapters shine further light on to this.

Than starting on pg 368 Cowles gives a summary of reasons he rejects the Roman Theory. We will look at any points here we may have missed.

Cowles claims Pagan Rome is out of analogy because it is not a proper successor kingdom.

If Rome did not succeed the Egyptian and Syrian kingdoms, than who did? History makes it clear that both these sections of Alexanders kingdom fell into Roman hands.

Yes, Rome consisted of more than just this, and parts of Alexanders kingdom did not fall into Roman hands. But the areas that most affected the Jews did. And more importantly it was under Roman dominion that Christ was crucified.

more later.

On l) - As kings, these horns perfectly fit the kings in the succession of the Seleucid Kingdom without resorting to any guess work. Cowles comments on page 351 explained why they were used interchangeably and that "the more full and precise statements must prevail over the one that is brief and general..." and "the king finds his type in the horn, for the horn is the executive power of the beast, but has no power apart from the beast. And so of the king." Cowles is very clear why this analogy supports kings not kingdoms, that you wish to see it otherwise is obviously to support your Roman theory.

Cowles does a great job of showing how Daniel 7 fits Antiochus 4 which when you get to your theory we can do a side by side comparison.

Cowles opens his argument on p 368 why Roman theory does not fit, and its based on primarily it does not fit the analogy because Pagan Rome would have involved a huge chasm of 400 years and over 600 years for Papal Rome. In addition he claims that they  are  not standing in the same political relationship to the Jews. With Rome, it disregards the relationship of the visions to the Jews "and his special circumstances as patron, protector and father." It disregards that the war with the saints of the most high is between the little horn and the Jews. Cowles has much more, but so far you haven't presented your side so until you do, it's not clear exactly which position you are taking with what you consider to fit with your Roman view. More comments on this once I see what you are going to actually present.

You are missing the entire points Cowles made in regard to what was a "proper successor kingdom." If the Syrian kingdom was the 4th beast it does not matter if the Ming dynasty came next as the prophecy was already completed with the Seleucids and Antiochus 4 as the little horn. Since you saw things differently and are not seeing the 4th beast as the Syrian kingdom, you can't get there from where you are as you have taken a different road.

Since you previously gave a general idea of your views and interpretations I do know where you are going, but I'll hold comments until I see you construct it with supporting arguments.

In Daniel 7:17, the 4 beasts are first referred to as kings. In vs 23 and 24 they are referred to as kingdoms. This reference to them as kingdoms does make these powers more than kings. That is clear. What it does not do is define the 10 horns as kings only, and not kingdoms. These also could be kingdoms represented by their first kings.

Cowles uses as part of his argument to support this, the "fact" that each of the 4 kingdoms were mainly embodied in one king. This is true of Nebuchadnezzar, and mostly true of Alexander the Great. This can be said of Cyrus in the early stages of the "Medo-Persian" kingdom. When it comes to the 4th kingdom we are back to the reasoning that this one is embodied by AE IV because he was such a nasty little bugger to the Jews.

This is pretty "choppy" reasoning. He also makes the statement that a horn has no power apart from the beast. This is said to help support that the horns "must" be kings only, and not kingdoms.

In Daniel 8:22, the 4 kingdoms are represented by horns, not beasts. This seems to conflict with Cowles reasoning above. My point is that horns are not necessarily only kings. Cowles than puts forth an argument based upon very speculative reasoning that seems reasonable enough, but does not go as far as to "prove" his point.

It is a good point, pretty well reasoned out, and noted as such, but it is not the only valid position that can be taken on this. Cowles has far from proving his point, and definitely not made a strong enough argument to rule out the 10 horns from being or becoming 10 kingdoms.

Looking at the symbolism logically, 10 kingdoms that arise out of a previous kingdom could hardly be represented as 10 beasts sprouting from the previous beasts head. Beasts don't grow beasts out of their head. They grow horns. I suppose the 4th beast could have given birth to 10 "little beasties". But it would be more natural for them to be horns, representing a power growing up out of the realm of the previous power.

We can not make a solid conclusion based on this kind of reasoning. Therefore I can not agree with Cowles that this is proof "beyond all question".

That brings us to the "huge chasm".

m. Cowles infers that there is a huge chasm of 400 years to Pagan Rome, and 600 years for Papal Rome, and that this somehow poses a problem.

First, I do not see a chasm of 400 years between the "Grecian" empire, or 4 divisions of Alexanders kingdom, and the beginnings of Pagan Rome. When I read the history, Rome is arising right on time as the previous kingdoms are going into decline and falling into Roman hands. There may be 400 years from the death of Alexander, but the 4 headed beast more aptly symbolizes the 4 divisions of his empire as well.

The 600 year chasm for Papal Rome is likewise faulty. There may have been 600 years from the death of Alexander, but not from the breakup of Pagan Rome. Once again "Papal Rome" was arising on the scene just on time, as Pagan Rome was in decline and being broken up.

That being said, a chasm, or blind spot in history is not of necessity a problem with prophecy. Using Cowles own logic, prophecy does not tend to acknowledge time spans where there is nothing of significance relating to the prophecy that the author wishes to bring out. That is, the author of the prophecy (that being God or man), chooses what the focus will be, and is not bound to comment on anything else, or even acknowledge every segment of time in between.

Conclusion - Chasm or no Chasm - No problem.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Jews, Daniel, Saints, and Successor Kingdoms

n. Cowles makes the point that Pagan Rome was "not standing in the same political relationship with the Jews".

First, during the reign of the Roman Empire, the Jews were definitely under Roman control. Secondly, the Jewish messiah came on to the scene during this time, and was crucified by Rome. It would be absurd to try to make the argument that The Roman Empire was not relevant to the Jews.

One would hardly think that a prophecy given to the Jews about what would happen in the "latter days" would not mention the very power that would crucify the messiah.

o. Cowles also makes the point that the "Roman Theory" has nothing to do with Daniel as father and protector of the Jews, or with the Jews themselves.

We need only to look back over the text itself to see that there is no mention of either Daniel, or the Jewish people in this chapter. This chapter focuses mainly on the actions of the "little horn", and the "saints of the most high". These as of this time have not been adequately defined.

p. Cowles alleges that the war between the little horn and the saints was a war between this horn and the Jews.

This is still an issue in dispute. We will get into this deeper as we move along.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Which Advent? / Son of Man

You are right that a 2nd century, or 6th century BC writer would not know the details of Jesus, the coming messiah. The messianic prophecies were not properly understood at that time. God, as a writer, however would know this. That being said, there would hardly have been any point at this portion of the text for God to have started trying to explain all this to Daniel. References to Jesus' first coming was saved for later.

So I agree with you that it references God, not necessarily as "doing all this", but certainly as being there as I previously pointed out. I hardly ignored the fact that there is no reference here to a resurrection. If you read my post, I also pointed out that the focus of this chapter, and the book as a whole is the fate of nations, not individuals. It would hardly make sense for God to have changed focus, and start talking about the fate of individuals here.

Those who administer to God would naturally be His agents or angels. I have no problem with this. I have answered all of Cowles points on why he believes this couldn't be the final judgment, and not one has held up. His view is left on shaky ground, and mine is far from being debunked.

I also agree that the term "son of man" in this passage is not proof, in and of itself, that Jesus is being referenced. It is interesting to note however that "a" son of man is coming to the father "with the clouds of heaven" to be presented before the "Ancient of Days", and receive an everlasting kingdom. This is an interesting passage for a 2nd century BC author.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Empires and Territories

Seleucus Nicator did conquer a lot of territory. Most of it had nothing to do with the Jews. Jerusalem and the "holy land", were at times part of the Ptolemic Empire, and at times under Seleucid control.

The portions of the Seleucid Empire that were of concern to the Jews did indeed end up in Roman hands. Really? What did the eastern portions of the Seleucid Empire have to do with the Jews?

True, Rome did not end up with all of the territories that were previously in Seleucid hands, but with empires that is seldom the case.

As a successor kingdom, so far as it affected the Jews, Rome did directly follow the "Grecian" empire of Alexander.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:  As for i,

gramster wrote:

I understand, if you can't have them be kingdoms then you can't make your Roman theory work as it's essential to it isn't it?

But none of the kingdoms you mentioned earlier in this thread have anything at all to do with the Jews, so you are treading upstream here.

gramster wrote:

Without Alexander there would never have been a Greek/Macedonian empire so the kingdom in his case was intertwined with him and very embodied in him. The same is true with Cyrus, as many nations just capitulated to him with little or no bloodshed. His empire was embodied in him as well. It is unlikely in both cases that any empire would have occured at all without them.

As to the Seleucid kingdom, it was embodied in the kings as well beginning with Seleucus Nicator and ending with the "nasty bugger" Antiochus IV. 

gramster wrote:

What Cowles says about chapter 8 is well thought out on pp 384-387 showing why this is the case and there is no conflict as you claim. 

gramster wrote:

Cowles position is well thought out and is very likely to be what the writer of Daniel intended with his analogies.

As of yet I have seen nothing of your well thought out arguments, only nit-picking against Cowles. I expect you to at least argue with something more than discrediting his view without substance by showing in detail as he did your theory with as much discussion and support. All you are doing is chopping at the points that will prevent your Roman theory and so far doing so by opinionated statements without an argument showing your justification. 

gramster wrote:

I have no idea where you came up with this argument. Cowles never went this direction at all, he explained his logic and understanding with great detail and somehow you come up with beasts coming out of beasts. Exactly where and how in Cowles argument does it ever allow this to occur? This is a direct cause of your attempt to take another road and your blinding yourself to Cowles points.

gramster wrote:

You mean you can't make a solid conclusion, I'm good with Cowles views in regard to all but his Jesus as the messiah claims that really have no bearing on his arguments at all.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
 gramster wrote:That brings

gramster wrote:

m. Cowles infers that there is a huge chasm of 400 years to Pagan Rome, and 600 years for Papal Rome, and that this somehow poses a problem.

First, I do not see a chasm of 400 years between the "Grecian" empire, or 4 divisions of Alexanders kingdom, and the beginnings of Pagan Rome. When I read the history, Rome is arising right on time as the previous kingdoms are going into decline and falling into Roman hands. There may be 400 years from the death of Alexander, but the 4 headed beast more aptly symbolizes the 4 divisions of his empire as well.

Rome was founded even before Alexander if you want to get picky in the 7th or 8th century. The Roman Republic was founded in 509 BCE predating Alexander and concurrent with the Persians. It continued to expand throughout the Mediterranean overthrowing Carthage after several wars. It was during the 2nd Punic war that Phillip V of Macedon allied with Carthage and sealed his fate. The Seleucid kingdom as well came up against them and were sent packing from Greece. To actually pick an exact date for the Republic or Pagan Rome depends on what you consider to be influential  to your sphere of influence. In the case of the Jews, Rome had no direct effect on them until they forced Antiochus 4 out of Egypt. Other direct effects would involve Rome siding with the Macabees in the war against Antiochus. The next real involvement by Rome with the Jews was by Pompey in 64 BCE. 

So if the writing dates to the time of the Macabean War, Rome surely would not be the 4th beast as Rome was aiding Judas Maccabee, at least in words.  The analogy is not such that the allies of the Jews, Rome on several occasions would be the beast or the kingdom trying to suppress the Jews, even if Cowles views are taken as a 6th century prophecy "for the Jews" in regards to their time of tribulations in the war against Antiochus. As Rome during this time was not the one doing anything as described by Daniel, Antiochus was.

gramster wrote:

The 600 year chasm for Papal Rome is likewise faulty. There may have been 600 years from the death of Alexander, but not from the breakup of Pagan Rome. Once again "Papal Rome" was arising on the scene just on time, as Pagan Rome was in decline and being broken up.

Papal Rome is even harder to determine an actual date. The case can't easily be made that the bishops throughout Christianity recognized the bishop of Rome until about 384 CE when Damasus I was called a pope. This was after the Emperor Theodosius formally renounced the title of Pontifex Maximus and bestowed it upon Damasus. The bishop of Rome did not attend the Nicene Council. So good luck in coming up with an actual date. I know the RCC pretends that the bishops thoughout the empire recognized the bishop of Rome as superior but proof is lacking. Clement, the writer of Clement I was supposedly the 3rd pope, and his epistle which you read does not so indicate he had the power to order anything.

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontifex_Maximus for more on the questionable date for when the bishop of Rome is considered the Pontifex Maximus.

Theodosius is the emperor that banned pagan practices in the empire, which technically is the end of Pagan Rome in 380 CE.

So keeping that in mind, show me how the papacy which isn't really recognized as any kind of authority in the empire until well near the end of the 4th century CE is pertinent here.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:n. Cowles

gramster wrote:

n. Cowles makes the point that Pagan Rome was "not standing in the same political relationship with the Jews".

First, during the reign of the Roman Empire, the Jews were definitely under Roman control.

As I clearly pointed out in my last response the Romans were actually supporting the Jews against Antiochus, more than once. 

gramster wrote:

Secondly, the Jewish messiah came on to the scene during this time, and was crucified by Rome.

I beg to differ here, Jesus was the Christian Pauline messiah, you have not shown at all he was the Jewish messiah. And if you want to try we can go over in detail how Jesus does not fit the expectations of the Jews and their prophecies which you misconstrue to slide in Jesus as the mashiach, which he fits like a square peg in a round hole. This is better suited for another discussion unless you need it now to prove your Roman theory. It will result in an extended side discussion lasting many days or even weeks and posts. And by the time you get back to Daniel you may lose track of your points. I can easily take on the Jewish interpretation showing you how you error in use of their scriptures to create a messiah that is not at all predicted according to Jewish views from the beginning. It bears on the start from Genesis where you as a Christian see man as having original sin and Jews see man as born with a pure soul that can be returned to the god in the same state it was received.

gramster wrote:

It would be absurd to try to make the argument that The Roman Empire was not relevant to the Jews.

The Romans are relevant to the Jews, they destroy the Temple, they kill millions of them in several wars, but not in the 2nd century BCE, here they are on the side of the Jews.

gramster wrote:

One would hardly think that a prophecy given to the Jews about what would happen in the "latter days" would not mention the very power that would crucify the messiah.

As the mashiach is not to be executed it shows you have no understanding of Jewish interpretation. The mashiach is not to be a sacrificial lamb to forgive their sins as you see as a Christian. Rather he would bring about the KOG and lead them under the god's direct rule of the KOG on earth. Jesus did not do this, but was executed and sacrificed to himself so to speak.

As the latter days discussed in Daniel as Cowles even shows had to do with the end of the Jews persecution by the Seleucids and Antiochus it has not a thing to do with the misconstrued Christian messiah that is not at all what a Jew was expecting.

gramster wrote:

o. Cowles also makes the point that the "Roman Theory" has nothing to do with Daniel as father and protector of the Jews, or with the Jews themselves.

We need only to look back over the text itself to see that there is no mention of either Daniel, or the Jewish people in this chapter. This chapter focuses mainly on the actions of the "little horn", and the "saints of the most high". These as of this time have not been adequately defined.

Since you don't see the "saints of the most high" as the Jews of course you don't see Jewish people in Daniel.

gramster wrote:

p. Cowles alleges that the war between the little horn and the saints was a war between this horn and the Jews.

This is still an issue in dispute. We will get into this deeper as we move along.

Fairly obvious is the Jews and Antiochus are in such a war.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:You are right

gramster wrote:

You are right that a 2nd century, or 6th century BC writer would not know the details of Jesus, the coming messiah. The messianic prophecies were not properly understood at that time. God, as a writer, however would know this. That being said, there would hardly have been any point at this portion of the text for God to have started trying to explain all this to Daniel. References to Jesus' first coming was saved for later.

Since what I said was "A 2nd century BCE writer would have no idea a guy named Jesus was going to claim to be the judge nor would a prophetic writer in the 6th century BCE, thus "ancient of days" alludes to the god doing it in these verses."

A claim, does not make one the messiah nor does it make Jesus fit Jewish prophecy of the mashiach as understood by the Jews for 100s of years and redirected in the 1st century primarily by Paul.

The god explained countless times to the Jews what the mashiach was to be and what conditions had to be met when he came. These conditions were not in place for Jesus.

I would guess you refer to the NT scriptures when you say "references to Jesus' first coming was saved for later" as pretty much all of the OT was written by the 2nd century BCE or even by the time of Daniel, unless you know of something in Ezra.

gramster wrote:

So I agree with you that it references God, not necessarily as "doing all this", but certainly as being there as I previously pointed out. I hardly ignored the fact that there is no reference here to a resurrection. If you read my post, I also pointed out that the focus of this chapter, and the book as a whole is the fate of nations, not individuals. It would hardly make sense for God to have changed focus, and start talking about the fate of individuals here.

Clarification of resurrection:

The resurrection in question mentioned by me and Cowles refers to the supposed resurrection at the end of the world, not of the supposed messiah Jesus.

gramster wrote:

Those who administer to God would naturally be His agents or angels. I have no problem with this. I have answered all of Cowles points on why he believes this couldn't be the final judgment, and not one has held up. His view is left on shaky ground, and mine is far from being debunked.

We are seeing 2 different things here. So far, I've not seen your argument so how would I know it's holding up?

I don't see at all where Cowles points should be ignored or discredited and I still have no idea of your support for your position.

gramster wrote:

I also agree that the term "son of man" in this passage is not proof, in and of itself, that Jesus is being referenced. It is interesting to note however that "a" son of man is coming to the father "with the clouds of heaven" to be presented before the "Ancient of Days", and receive an everlasting kingdom. This is an interesting passage for a 2nd century BC author.

OK, but as Jews were called that throughout as I showed you it's not at all surprising.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:Seleucus

gramster wrote:

Seleucus Nicator did conquer a lot of territory. Most of it had nothing to do with the Jews. Jerusalem and the "holy land", were at times part of the Ptolemic Empire, and at times under Seleucid control.

The portions of the Seleucid Empire that were of concern to the Jews did indeed end up in Roman hands. Really? What did the eastern portions of the Seleucid Empire have to do with the Jews?

True, Rome did not end up with all of the territories that were previously in Seleucid hands, but with empires that is seldom the case.

As a successor kingdom, so far as it affected the Jews, Rome did directly follow the "Grecian" empire of Alexander.

The Romans come after the Seleucids in their direct effect on the Jews no matter how hard you try to ignore it.

The Seleucids rule until the Jews gain their freedom which lasts until Pompey in 64 BCE. 

Written in the 2nd century prior to Roman takeover Rome would not be in the storyline as a nation that ruled the Jews. And when you examine the story using Cowles method or the Grecian theory, that's exactly what you see. 

As the Jews do rule themselves for almost 100 years how do you account for that in your Roman theory?

Doesn't it break the chain?

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:So those

Anonymouse wrote:

So those "straight pride" t-shirts with Leviticus on the back : Not the right kind of "faith" ?

Okay, I won't blame "the faith", whatever that may be (and I have a feeling that, conveniently, no-one will be able to agree on that).

So can you blame their faith ?

The Bible talks about what's in the heart counts.  it's my understanding that their intention of "straight pride" is to "put down" gays... or give them a negative connotation.  The Bible does not approve of an approach that would put down others.     

Basically, it's hypocritical of them to do that;  "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Matthew 7:3

The basics of the faith are quite clear.  Anyone who disagrees on the basics would only have doctrine if anything to back themselves up.  Doctrine doesn't always agree with the truth.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:caposkia

Anonymouse wrote:

caposkia wrote:
The Bible specifically states that no one knows the date and time of Jesus' return.

Could have been and gone a bunch of times. Who'd notice ?

According to the Bible... everyone would... which would suggest that it hasn't happened.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:The Bible

caposkia wrote:
The Bible talks about what's in the heart counts.  it's my understanding that their intention of "straight pride" is to "put down" gays... or give them a negative connotation.

It's not the "straight pride" bit. It's the combination of that and "they shall surely be put to death", which was on the t-shirts as well. I'm not sure if "putting down" is the expression you're looking for.

caposkia wrote:
Doctrine doesn't always agree with the truth.

Put that on a t-shirt. I'll buy one. I'll put it on and walk around St Pete's square for a while. Should be fun.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:According to

caposkia wrote:

According to the Bible... everyone would... which would suggest that it hasn't happened.

Or maybe he just got bad PR this time. Or maybe he got born in Africa and died from hunger before he could walk.

Suggestions aplenty.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Clear Reasoning Important

gramster wrote:

I understand, if you can't have them be kingdoms then you can't make your Roman theory work as it's essential to it isn't it?

But none of the kingdoms you mentioned earlier in this thread have anything at all to do with the Jews, so you are treading upstream here.

gramster wrote:

Without Alexander there would never have been a Greek/Macedonian empire so the kingdom in his case was intertwined with him and very embodied in him. The same is true with Cyrus, as many nations just capitulated to him with little or no bloodshed. His empire was embodied in him as well. It is unlikely in both cases that any empire would have occured at all without them.

As to the Seleucid kingdom, it was embodied in the kings as well beginning with Seleucus Nicator and ending with the "nasty bugger" Antiochus IV. 

gramster wrote:

What Cowles says about chapter 8 is well thought out on pp 384-387 showing why this is the case and there is no conflict as you claim. 

gramster wrote:

Cowles position is well thought out and is very likely to be what the writer of Daniel intended with his analogies.

As of yet I have seen nothing of your well thought out arguments, only nit-picking against Cowles. I expect you to at least argue with something more than discrediting his view without substance by showing in detail as he did your theory with as much discussion and support. All you are doing is chopping at the points that will prevent your Roman theory and so far doing so by opinionated statements without an argument showing your justification. 

gramster wrote:

I have no idea where you came up with this argument. Cowles never went this direction at all, he explained his logic and understanding with great detail and somehow you come up with beasts coming out of beasts. Exactly where and how in Cowles argument does it ever allow this to occur? This is a direct cause of your attempt to take another road and your blinding yourself to Cowles points.

gramster wrote:

You mean you can't make a solid conclusion, I'm good with Cowles views in regard to all but his Jesus as the messiah claims that really have no bearing on his arguments at all.

Yes, for the Roman Theory the horns must represent kingdoms, or kings that are the beginnings of kingdoms. And of course, for Cowles theory they must represent kings only, and not kingdoms. That is why it is important to use clear reasoning.

On pg 351 Cowles states "The word here (referring to 7:17) in explaining the meaning of the beasts, is king, not kingdom. Yet the more full and specific interpretation (vs. 23,24) makes them definitely  kingdoms and the horns kings. Beyond all question, the whole course of Daniels visions in chapters 7 and 8 requires this construction - the beasts kings, and the horns kingdoms.

On pg 385 Cowles states "The four powers have been already indicated in the notes on v. 8. They were four horns, yet really four kingdoms, located geographically towards the four cardinal points. Here they are definitely four kingdoms.

I am not disputing at this time that Cowles has done a pretty good job of trying to make these prophecies fit AE IV. What I am doing is pointing out the fact that you can't have it both ways. You can't have a "solid construction" of beasts always being kingdoms, and horns always kings in chapter 7, than in chapter 8, break these rules.

It is only by keeping the logic sound, that one can really properly decipher prophecy.

My point is that horns can clearly represent either horns or kingdoms. The reason they are horns, is because they "grow out of" an existing or previous kingdom.

As for my "nit picking" at Cowles, and "chopping" at his points that "attempt" to discredit the Roman theory, I am, as you suggested, taking a real close look at Cowles theory to see if it holds up. And since you have suggested that he has somehow discredited the Roman theory, special emphasis is given to that aspect.

So far, the Roman theory has not been discredited by Cowles. He has made some statements that claim to have discredited it, but with close evaluation they do not hold up.

As for my comments about beasts not growing out of the heads of other beasts, this is simply to show that horns can sometimes be more rational symbols for kingdoms, and that beasts will not always work very well. Rather than trying to make a hard and fast rule, it is better to just examine the texts for a determination.

This being established, we can now more accurately examine the text. We cannot do this when our logic is faulty.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Successive Kingdoms / Relevnce / Dates

gramster wrote:

Rome was founded even before Alexander if you want to get picky in the 7th or 8th century. The Roman Republic was founded in 509 BCE predating Alexander and concurrent with the Persians. It continued to expand throughout the Mediterranean overthrowing Carthage after several wars. It was during the 2nd Punic war that Phillip V of Macedon allied with Carthage and sealed his fate. The Seleucid kingdom as well came up against them and were sent packing from Greece. To actually pick an exact date for the Republic or Pagan Rome depends on what you consider to be influential  to your sphere of influence. In the case of the Jews, Rome had no direct effect on them until they forced Antiochus 4 out of Egypt. Other direct effects would involve Rome siding with the Macabees in the war against Antiochus. The next real involvement by Rome with the Jews was by Pompey in 64 BCE. 

So if the writing dates to the time of the Macabean War, Rome surely would not be the 4th beast as Rome was aiding Judas Maccabee, at least in words.  The analogy is not such that the allies of the Jews, Rome on several occasions would be the beast or the kingdom trying to suppress the Jews, even if Cowles views are taken as a 6th century prophecy "for the Jews" in regards to their time of tribulations in the war against Antiochus. As Rome during this time was not the one doing anything as described by Daniel, Antiochus was.

gramster wrote:

Papal Rome is even harder to determine an actual date. The case can't easily be made that the bishops throughout Christianity recognized the bishop of Rome until about 384 CE when Damasus I was called a pope. This was after the Emperor Theodosius formally renounced the title of Pontifex Maximus and bestowed it upon Damasus. The bishop of Rome did not attend the Nicene Council. So good luck in coming up with an actual date. I know the RCC pretends that the bishops thoughout the empire recognized the bishop of Rome as superior but proof is lacking. Clement, the writer of Clement I was supposedly the 3rd pope, and his epistle which you read does not so indicate he had the power to order anything.

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontifex_Maximus for more on the questionable date for when the bishop of Rome is considered the Pontifex Maximus.

Theodosius is the emperor that banned pagan practices in the empire, which technically is the end of Pagan Rome in 380 CE.

So keeping that in mind, show me how the papacy which isn't really recognized as any kind of authority in the empire until well near the end of the 4th century CE is pertinent here.

As for exact dating of Pagan, and Papal Rome, I agree with you that this can get quite "fuzzy". I also agree that it is pertinent to keep in mind the relevance to "Gods People" and the other kingdoms.

Alexanders kingdom called "Greece" in Daniel 8 included Alexander the 1st king, and the four divisions that followed it. The Syrian and Egyptian divisions including the Seleucid kings were of relevance to the Jews. These kingdoms clearly so far as it affected the Jews fell into Roman hands. Pagan Rome was clearly the next successive kingdom to follow "Greece" from a "relevance to the Jews" perspective. 

Out of the break up of Pagan Rome, Papal Rome emerged. That is clear from history. The dating is a bit more difficult to determine. That will have to be examined in detail when we get there. I don't think your date is too far off.

If these prophecies extend down to our time and beyond, and are relevant to "Gods people" in the last days, than the papacy which had a significant hand in persecuting "Gods people" would clearly be relevant.

If you believe the writer to simply be a 2nd century Jew, "making all this up". The papacy would have no relevance at all.

Likewise, if you believe these prophecies ended no later than the time of Christ, the papacy would not be relevant.

These are things being determined.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Rome / AE IV / Messiah / Little Horn

gramster wrote:

First, during the reign of the Roman Empire, the Jews were definitely under Roman control.

As I clearly pointed out in my last response the Romans were actually supporting the Jews against Antiochus, more than once. 

gramster wrote:

Secondly, the Jewish messiah came on to the scene during this time, and was crucified by Rome.

I beg to differ here, Jesus was the Christian Pauline messiah, you have not shown at all he was the Jewish messiah. And if you want to try we can go over in detail how Jesus does not fit the expectations of the Jews and their prophecies which you misconstrue to slide in Jesus as the mashiach, which he fits like a square peg in a round hole. This is better suited for another discussion unless you need it now to prove your Roman theory. It will result in an extended side discussion lasting many days or even weeks and posts. And by the time you get back to Daniel you may lose track of your points. I can easily take on the Jewish interpretation showing you how you error in use of their scriptures to create a messiah that is not at all predicted according to Jewish views from the beginning. It bears on the start from Genesis where you as a Christian see man as having original sin and Jews see man as born with a pure soul that can be returned to the god in the same state it was received.

gramster wrote:

It would be absurd to try to make the argument that The Roman Empire was not relevant to the Jews.

The Romans are relevant to the Jews, they destroy the Temple, they kill millions of them in several wars, but not in the 2nd century BCE, here they are on the side of the Jews.

gramster wrote:

As the mashiach is not to be executed it shows you have no understanding of Jewish interpretation. The mashiach is not to be a sacrificial lamb to forgive their sins as you see as a Christian. Rather he would bring about the KOG and lead them under the god's direct rule of the KOG on earth. Jesus did not do this, but was executed and sacrificed to himself so to speak.

As the latter days discussed in Daniel as Cowles even shows had to do with the end of the Jews persecution by the Seleucids and Antiochus it has not a thing to do with the misconstrued Christian messiah that is not at all what a Jew was expecting.

gramster wrote:

Since you don't see the "saints of the most high" as the Jews of course you don't see Jewish people in Daniel.

gramster wrote:

You are right that Rome hardly fits the symbol of the 4th beast during the 2nd century BC. It would hardly be expected to since the 3rd beast was still reigning. It wasn't until later that Rome began to take this shape.

I also agree that the Jews were not expecting the "Christian" Messiah. They ignored any reference to a suffering Messiah, and naturally focused on the "conquering king" instead. That being said, I agree that the Jesus as Messiah issue is better suited for another discussion at this time.

Also I agree that during the 2nd century BC, AE IV was a problem to the Jews.

Taking the "long view" that these prophecies extend down until the time that "the God of heaven will set up a kingdom", I see Jews in the book of Daniel, and I also see Gods people that are non Jews at a later time in history as well.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:So far, the

gramster wrote:

So far, the Roman theory has not been discredited by Cowles. He has made some statements that claim to have discredited it, but with close evaluation they do not hold up.

~rip~

This being established, we can now more accurately examine the text. We cannot do this when our logic is faulty.

We will have to disagree in regard to whether Cowles discredited the common Roman theory or not. As to your specific Roman theory I have only seen pieces of it, though I'd guess it's similar.

Looking forward to your detailed explanations so I can "nit pick."

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:I also agree

gramster wrote:

I also agree that it is pertinent to keep in mind the relevance to "Gods People" and the other kingdoms.

Since Cowles and I both argue that"God's People" in Daniel in context means the Jews we are on different roads.

gramster wrote:

Alexanders kingdom called "Greece" in Daniel 8 included Alexander the 1st king, and the four divisions that followed it. The Syrian and Egyptian divisions including the Seleucid kings were of relevance to the Jews. These kingdoms clearly so far as it affected the Jews fell into Roman hands. Pagan Rome was clearly the next successive kingdom to follow "Greece" from a "relevance to the Jews" perspective.

Once again, this ignores the 100 years of self rule of the Jews after the Seleucid Kingdom and therefore does not follow.

gramster wrote:

Out of the break up of Pagan Rome, Papal Rome emerged. That is clear from history. The dating is a bit more difficult to determine. That will have to be examined in detail when we get there. I don't think your date is too far off.

As the Empire continues in the entity of the Byzantine Empire and was separate from Papal control after a point I await how you explain them and their very different take on some of the doctrines.

gramster wrote:

If these prophecies extend down to our time and beyond, and are relevant to "Gods people" in the last days, than the papacy which had a significant hand in persecuting "Gods people" would clearly be relevant.

As we don't agree on "God's people" and the latter days since I consider the latter days to have occured in regard to Antiochus and the Macabees all of your assertion here is on a path beyond the writing of a 2nd century writer in the realm of pure conjecture. Therefore I see no relevance at all.

gramster wrote:

If you believe the writer to simply be a 2nd century Jew, "making all this up". The papacy would have no relevance at all.

Exactly, my path was finished in the 2nd century, end of story.

gramster wrote:

Likewise, if you believe these prophecies ended no later than the time of Christ, the papacy would not be relevant.

Which is the path Cowles took.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

You are right that Rome hardly fits the symbol of the 4th beast during the 2nd century BC. It would hardly be expected to since the 3rd beast was still reigning. It wasn't until later that Rome began to take this shape.

I also agree that the Jews were not expecting the "Christian" Messiah. They ignored any reference to a suffering Messiah, and naturally focused on the "conquering king" instead. That being said, I agree that the Jesus as Messiah issue is better suited for another discussion at this time.

Also I agree that during the 2nd century BC, AE IV was a problem to the Jews.

Taking the "long view" that these prophecies extend down until the time that "the God of heaven will set up a kingdom", I see Jews in the book of Daniel, and I also see Gods people that are non Jews at a later time in history as well. 

Once again I point out the 100 years of self rule by the Jews breaks the chain invalidating the Roman theory.

Once the Jews or "God's people" were ruling themselves the story ends. This supports a 2nd century writing or even Cowles view.

You must explain how the Jews ruling themselves fits in the Roman theory. I see Daniel as complete with Antiochus gone and Judea independent.

The God of heaven did set up a kingdom and it occurred in the 2nd century BCE, if you read it the way Cowles did. *edit  As it really was only man and it was written then it was easy to fulfill.*

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:It's not

Anonymouse wrote:

It's not the "straight pride" bit. It's the combination of that and "they shall surely be put to death", which was on the t-shirts as well. I'm not sure if "putting down" is the expression you're looking for.

yea, i was trying to put it lightly.  there is absolutely no support for their approach.  

Anonymouse wrote:

caposkia wrote:
Doctrine doesn't always agree with the truth.

Put that on a t-shirt. I'll buy one. I'll put it on and walk around St Pete's square for a while. Should be fun.

lol... I think you'd be surprised at how many Christians would wear that shirt as well.'

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:yea, i was

caposkia wrote:
yea, i was trying to put it lightly.  there is absolutely no support for their approach.

I'm sure all the kids in "ex-gay" camp are thrilled to hear that.

caposkia wrote:
lol... I think you'd be surprised at how many Christians would wear that shirt as well.'

I'm told those aren't "real" christians.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

gramster wrote:

Since what I said was "A 2nd century BCE writer would have no idea a guy named Jesus was going to claim to be the judge nor would a prophetic writer in the 6th century BCE, thus "ancient of days" alludes to the god doing it in these verses."

gramster wrote:

Actually the text does not specify who is "doing it". It only portrays "The Ancient of Days" (God) as being seated in a position to observe what's going on. It is easy to assume that it is God Doing it, but the text is not clear on this.

A claim, does not make one the messiah nor does it make Jesus fit Jewish prophecy of the mashiach as understood by the Jews for 100s of years and redirected in the 1st century primarily by Paul.

The god explained countless times to the Jews what the mashiach was to be and what conditions had to be met when he came. These conditions were not in place for Jesus.

[quote-gramster]

I won't get back in to the Paul thing right now, or the messiah thing either. I will leave these for another time as we both agreed best.

I would guess you refer to the NT scriptures when you say "references to Jesus' first coming was saved for later" as pretty much all of the OT was written by the 2nd century BCE or even by the time of Daniel, unless you know of something in Ezra.

gramster wrote:

Clarification of resurrection:

The resurrection in question mentioned by me and Cowles refers to the supposed resurrection at the end of the world, not of the supposed messiah Jesus.

gramster wrote:

The quote I am referring to is also at the end of the world. This is not a problem.

gramster wrote:

We are seeing 2 different things here. So far, I've not seen your argument so how would I know it's holding up?

I don't see at all where Cowles points should be ignored or discredited and I still have no idea of your support for your position.

gramster wrote:

I have not ignored any of Cowles points. I have acknowledged when his points are supported, pointed out when they are shaky or unsupported, and left some for later stating that was what I was doing.

Since the claim is that my views have already been discredited by Cowles, I am focusing on that first.

gramster wrote:

OK, but as Jews were called that throughout as I showed you it's not at all surprising.

What I find interesting is that a "son of man", Jew, or human is traveling around in the clouds of heaven. I don't recall this as a common theme in the OT. Normally people don't go around doing this.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Successive Kingdoms

gramster wrote:

The Romans come after the Seleucids in their direct effect on the Jews no matter how hard you try to ignore it.

The Seleucids rule until the Jews gain their freedom which lasts until Pompey in 64 BCE. 

Written in the 2nd century prior to Roman takeover Rome would not be in the storyline as a nation that ruled the Jews. And when you examine the story using Cowles method or the Grecian theory, that's exactly what you see. 

As the Jews do rule themselves for almost 100 years how do you account for that in your Roman theory?

Yes, the Romans did come after the Seleucids (one of the 4 divisions of Alexanders kingdom). That is exactly what was prophesied. Rome followed "Greece" (Alexander and the 4 divisions of his kingdom).

Actually the Jews had "complete independence" for a little over 60 years, and that was marred by infighting and civil war, which ended in the annexation by Rome in 63 BC. 

This would hardly make this "the kingdom of God" referenced in the prophecies. It would hardly be the next successive kingdom following the Seleucid Empire either. It was just a brief period of independence. This hardly prevents Rome as being the next successive kingdom to follow "Greece" as stated in the prophecies.

The prophecies in Daniel 7 portray a 4th beast "great and terrible" following the 4 headed leopard (Alexander and the 4 divisions of his empire). The Roman Empire fits this description no matter how hard you try to ignore it.

A brief period of "independence" hardly changes this. The Jews simply broke loose from the oppression of one beast briefly before coming under the control of the next. 

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline

Anonymouse wrote:

caposkia wrote:

I'm sure all the kids in "ex-gay" camp are thrilled to hear that.

there are gay christians.... but per the comment below, i'm sure you're told they're not real Christians either.

Anonymouse wrote:

caposkia wrote:

I'm told those aren't "real" christians.

Not to be pulling away from the purpose of this forum and I'm sorry gramster for being a bit off topic.

but i must ask.  Who's telling you those aren't "real" Christians and what is their justification?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:there are gay

caposkia wrote:
there are gay christians....

Oh, I know. I'm going steady with one of those. The sex is great, thanks for asking. You didn't ask ? I'm telling you anyway.

caposkia wrote:
but per the comment below, i'm sure you're told they're not real Christians either.

Depends on who you ask, when you ask, and what mood they're in at the time. Some of these people seem conflicted.

Anyway, so "absolutely no support" ? You sticking with that ?

caposkia wrote:
Not to be pulling away from the purpose of this forum and I'm sorry gramster for being a bit off topic.

OP title sez "a christian answers tough questions". Broad topic, methinks.

caposkia wrote:
but i must ask.  Who's telling you those aren't "real" Christians and what is their justification?

Being the "real" ones, it turns out they they don't need a justification. God has their back. Annoying, isn't it ?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster

gramster wrote:

gramster wrote:

Yes, the Romans did come after the Seleucids (one of the 4 divisions of Alexanders kingdom). That is exactly what was prophesied. Rome followed "Greece" (Alexander and the 4 divisions of his kingdom).

Actually the Jews had "complete independence" for a little over 60 years, and that was marred by infighting and civil war, which ended in the annexation by Rome in 63 BC. 

This would hardly make this "the kingdom of God" referenced in the prophecies. It would hardly be the next successive kingdom following the Seleucid Empire either. It was just a brief period of independence. This hardly prevents Rome as being the next successive kingdom to follow "Greece" as stated in the prophecies.

The prophecies in Daniel 7 portray a 4th beast "great and terrible" following the 4 headed leopard (Alexander and the 4 divisions of his empire). The Roman Empire fits this description no matter how hard you try to ignore it.

A brief period of "independence" hardly changes this. The Jews simply broke loose from the oppression of one beast briefly before coming under the control of the next. 

The Jews ruled from the time of Simon Maccabeus in 142 BCE until 63 BCE when Pompey annexed them. This is almost 80 years and is significantly longer than even Alexander who ruled for 9 years over the Jews from 332 BCE until his death in 323 BCE. Brief hardly describes the time period. Daniel written in the 2nd century BCE was complete at this point or even when the Temple was rededicated on 12-25 163 BCE.

You and I are on completely different paths and shall never agree.

Once the Jews were ruling there was nothing left to complete in Daniel as "God's People" were in control. End of story. It all fits within the possibilities without resulting in the misconstrued interpretations of the Roman theory and taking it in directions that have no bearing on the Jews and instead seeing "God's People" to be Christian Jesus believers as you are attempting.

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline

Anonymouse wrote:

caposkia wrote:
there are gay christians....

Oh, I know. I'm going steady with one of those. The sex is great, thanks for asking. You didn't ask ? I'm telling you anyway.

TMI

caposkia wrote:
but per the comment below, i'm sure you're told they're not real Christians either.

Anonymouse wrote:

Depends on who you ask, when you ask, and what mood they're in at the time. Some of these people seem conflicted.

true

Anonymouse wrote:

Anyway, so "absolutely no support" ? You sticking with that ?

no support for their behavior towards gays, yes, I'm sticking with that.

Anonymouse wrote:

OP title sez "a christian answers tough questions". Broad topic, methinks.

yea, but it seems pjts has a good flow going with this guy and I don't like cutting it off with something completely unrelated.... which seems to be exactly what I did...

Anonymouse wrote:

Being the "real" ones, it turns out they they don't need a justification. God has their back. Annoying, isn't it ?

yes, very.   

To any educated Christian, anyone who says they don't need justification for X should set of major warning bells.  Sounds to me as if they're brainwashed as many dispensational sects are.  'Don't think for yourself, do as we say... trust us... we know God and we know we're right.  You'll be safe as long as you do it our way'.    

hey, God's got my back too, but that doesn't mean I can't do something stupid that God doesn't approve of or that is completely anti-Biblical.  It's why Jesus came in the first place.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote: yea, but it

caposkia wrote:

yea, but it seems pjts has a good flow going with this guy and I don't like cutting it off with something completely unrelated.... which seems to be exactly what I did...

Cap, you are welcome to join in on the Daniel discussion if you'd like. Gramster is adamant for the Roman theory. My position is it has a 2nd century origin. I have even used the Rev Henry Cowles argument for the Grecian theory to show that Daniel is about the Macabean period not the end of the world. Cowles 1870 book is available online from several sources for free. Cowles position is Daniel prophesied about the persecution of the Jews by Antiochus IV. I agree with 99% or more of Cowles views, just not the Jesus as a messiah, though you knew that already. Though Cowles was a Christian he saw clearly that Daniel only fits the Jews in the 2nd century BCE and not anywahere else. Cowles maintains Daniel is unneeded to progress into Jesus as the messiah something Gramster doesn't quite get.

PJTS

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote:no support

caposkia wrote:
no support for their behavior towards gays, yes, I'm sticking with that.

Apart from their parents and the entire anti-gay industry (which apparently is built on "absolutely no support" ) . Ooookay.

caposkia wrote:
yea, but it seems pjts has a good flow going with this guy and I don't like cutting it off with something completely unrelated....

The exegesis talk you mean. Fair enough.

caposkia wrote:
which seems to be exactly what I did...

Nah, my bad. I was nitpicking in here first.

caposkia wrote:
hey, God's got my back too, but that doesn't mean I can't do something stupid that God doesn't approve of or that is completely anti-Biblical.  It's why Jesus came in the first place.

Sounds familiar.

Darn, did it again !

Sorry, carry on, bible people !

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic

caposkia wrote:

Cap, you are welcome to join in on the Daniel discussion if you'd like. Gramster is adamant for the Roman theory. My position is it has a 2nd century origin. I have even used the Rev Henry Cowles argument for the Grecian theory to show that Daniel is about the Macabean period not the end of the world. Cowles 1870 book is available online from several sources for free. Cowles position is Daniel prophesied about the persecution of the Jews by Antiochus IV. I agree with 99% or more of Cowles views, just not the Jesus as a messiah, though you knew that already. Though Cowles was a Christian he saw clearly that Daniel only fits the Jews in the 2nd century BCE and not anywahere else. Cowles maintains Daniel is unneeded to progress into Jesus as the messiah something Gramster doesn't quite get.

PJTS

Thanks for the invite.  I might take you guys up on it.  I'll need to sit down sometime and read through some of the progression so i have a better idea of where you came from and where it seems like the conversation is going.  That could take me some time.  From what i've skimmed so far, it sounds very interesting.  

caposkia
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Apart from

Anonymouse wrote:

Apart from their parents and the entire anti-gay industry (which apparently is built on "absolutely no support" ) . Ooookay.

yea, there are haters out there.  I could start an anti liar industry with likely more support to back it up... and yet I'm guessing it won't get nearly as far.

Anonymouse wrote:

The exegesis talk you mean. Fair enough.

caposkia wrote:
which seems to be exactly what I did...

Nah, my bad. I was nitpicking in here first.

it's all good.  I am likely to get sucked into that conversation soon enough on my own accord Eye-wink

Anonymouse wrote:

caposkia wrote:

Sounds familiar.

Darn, did it again !

Sorry, carry on, bible people !

yea, but it doesn't excuse the behavior.  

Here a lot of people use the excuse that Jesus died for all our sins (which he did) but they failed to read the clause about needing to repent of those sins... which literally means to turn away completely from...

in other words... does "sorry" really mean anything if you turn around and do it again deliberately?    despite how much many people want to believe it, the God of the Bible is not a sucker.  Forgiveness comes to those who live it.  Not those who talk a lot without results.  

The Bible makes reference to court trials and being held accountable.   The reason why those references are made is because God according to scripture will hold everyone to the same standards... which means if you're a repeat offender and never decided that it was necessary for you to try to turn away from that sin, you're going to be held fully accountable for those actions good or bad.  

confusion sets in at this point usually because now people can't comprehend exactly how you're forgiven and how there is a decipher between those who are repeat offenders deliberately and those who actually 'hate the sin they do'.  

My guess is anti-gay activists... don't hate the work they do and aren't giving a second thought to loving their neighbor as themselves.  

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Cap, That's because they're

Cap,

That's because they're Christians and not followers of Jesus. Huge difference.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
caposkia wrote: I could

caposkia wrote:
I could start an anti liar industry with likely more support to back it up... and yet I'm guessing it won't get nearly as far.

You guess right. Yay, I found an honest christian ! Will you sign my bible ?

caposkia wrote:
confusion sets in at this point usually because now people can't comprehend exactly how you're forgiven and how there is a decipher between those who are repeat offenders deliberately and those who actually 'hate the sin they do'. 

Confusion sets in a little earlier. I appreciate the reply, but you got hold of the wrong end of the stick there. I was just apologising again for the nitpicking, and inviting you bible people (you, JC, JPTS and Grampy) to continue your discussion without interference from me.

(I keep forgetting how bible talk is a serious hobby for some people. Not my thing, so I should butt out)

caposkia wrote:
My guess is anti-gay activists... don't hate the work they do and aren't giving a second thought to loving their neighbor as themselves.  

Another good guess.

Hmmm...so if they hated the work and loved their neighbour, would that make it okay ? Meh, forget it. Let's meet up in another thread for that talk.

*waves and leaves*

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:I was just

Anonymouse wrote:

I was just apologising again for the nitpicking, and inviting you bible people (you, JC, JPTS and Grampy) to continue your discussion without interference from me.

(I keep forgetting how bible talk is a serious hobby for some people. Not my thing, so I should butt out)

[satire on]

As all the believers have to show is writing from less than pristene verifiable sources no one should have to argue why it's as unrealistic as a flying unicorn (they did fly didn't they or am I thinking of Pegasus the flying horse?)

Since all it takes is written ancient writing we should all worship the almighty Enki, lord of the Earth as well as the creator gods Anu and blessed mother Ki for whom we all owe our existence.

[/satire off]

As with doing the dirty dishes, someone has to do it.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:As

You do it well, dude. No complaints.

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Pristine Verifiable Sources

Anonymouse wrote:

I was just apologising again for the nitpicking, and inviting you bible people (you, JC, JPTS and Grampy) to continue your discussion without interference from me.

[satire on]

As all the believers have to show is writing from less than pristene verifiable sources no one should have to argue why it's as unrealistic as a flying unicorn (they did fly didn't they or am I thinking of Pegasus the flying horse?)

Since all it takes is written ancient writing we should all worship the almighty Enki, lord of the Earth as well as the creator gods Anu and blessed mother Ki for whom we all owe our existence.

[/satire off]

I am quite certain that for an atheist, a pristine verifiable source that agrees with the bible would be nothing less than time locked, date stamped photo complete with a dna sample, or an eye witness that has been around for a few thousand years and can prove it.

Keeping in mind that I am having a discussion with those who can not see the vast difference between the bible, and the ancient writings about Enki, I will go to a brief recap of our discussions of Daniel 2 and 7. Than I will get into Daniel 8 which is much more detailed.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
No problem, gramster. And we

No problem, gramster.

And we will keep in mind that we are dealing with someone who is so in love with his belief that he can't see the mountain of similarites between the Bible and the myths of Enki.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Recap Daniel 2 and 7

At the beginning there were a lot of countries and powers suggested that probably none of us really believe relate to these prophecies in 2, and 7.. This being China, the USA, and such. These were mentioned for reasons of perspective I suppose. I will not spend time on these at this point.

Than we have the suggestion that Media and Persia were meant to be two distinct successive powers. That I personally reject this mainly for four basic reasons.

1 Media was not a successive kingdom to Neb's Babylon.

2 Media is a poor fit for the symbolism of the beasts involved.

3 Media and Persia are seen as a unit in Daniel 8 by definition.

4 The uncanny likeness of the 4 headed leopard to the goat with 4 horns which seem to obviously be the same power (the goat being called "Greece" specifically in ch Cool would have to be forced to be Persia instead.

More Later

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
Understanding context

gramster wrote:

Anonymouse wrote:

[satire on]

[/satire off]

I am quite certain that for an atheist, a pristine verifiable source that agrees with the bible would be nothing less than time locked, date stamped photo complete with a dna sample, or an eye witness that has been around for a few thousand years and can prove it.

Keeping in mind that I am having a discussion with those who can not see the vast difference between the bible, and the ancient writings about Enki, I will go to a brief recap of our discussions of Daniel 2 and 7. Than I will get into Daniel 8 which is much more detailed.

This post exemplifies the problem with a believer in understanding context.

I did not say anything at all about a "pristene source" that agrees with the Bible what I said was "As all the believers have to show is writing from less than pristene verifiable sources..."

The "less than "pristene sources" here refers to the books in the Bible not a source that agrees with it.

As photos can be faked,  it would take the god landing his spacecraft in front of the UN Building and producing all of the very dead people from the stories complete with audio-visual documentation of all of the claimed events, all of the artifacts, all of the original written books of the OT  by the writers as well as the writers, all of the evil characters to testify to the validity, Satan in a cage, and detailed explanation of the creation with verifiable proof of how the god did it all.

Wait, I'm not describing a god at all am I?

You are right, I can't see a diference between the OT stories and the Enki stories other than the Enki stories are usually far more interesting and fun.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:At the

gramster wrote:

At the beginning there were a lot of countries and powers suggested that probably none of us really believe relate to these prophecies in 2, and 7.. This being China, the USA, and such. These were mentioned for reasons of perspective I suppose. I will not spend time on these at this point.

Than we have the suggestion that Media and Persia were meant to be two distinct successive powers. That I personally reject this mainly for four basic reasons.

4 The uncanny likeness of the 4 headed leopard to the goat with 4 horns which seem to obviously be the same power (the goat being called "Greece" specifically in ch Cool would have to be forced to be Persia instead.

More Later

1. I believe this is third time you've posted this summary and each of them are different.

2. I really wish you'd quit lying about what pjts said. he never posited that China or the USA fit the mold. He simply asked why your omniscient deity didn't know about these empires that existed prior to the writing of Daniel.

I think what we actually got to was.

1. Babylon

2. Media/Persia

3. Macedonia

4  the Seleucid empire

vs. your version (which if I recall was)

1. Babylon

2. Medo-Persia

3. Greece

4. Modern Europe (in a reformed Roman Empire)

Now you can go on if you'd like - I just wanted to clear up your lie.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:At the

gramster wrote:

More Later

The whole point in bringing up China was to show you that the god in question never exhibited knowledge of the current world in the writing, thereby indicating it was uninspired writing by men.

I agree with Jcgadfly:

Jcgadfly wrote:

1. Babylon

2. Media/Persia

3. Macedonia

4  the Seleucid empire

1. Babylon

2. Medo-Persia

3. Greece

Your turn.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
gramster wrote:4 The uncanny

gramster wrote:

More Later

No one has explained why the goat was explicitly called Greece, but the leopard - which was never explicitly tied to a particular country - is obviously Greece.  How confusing is this?  And the leopard was also a symbol for Rome and Persia.  It seems to me, the leopard is Greece because you want it to be.

Which seems to me to make your entire argument a case of it means what you want it to mean.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
cj wrote:gramster wrote:4

cj wrote:

gramster wrote:

More Later

No one has explained why the goat was explicitly called Greece, but the leopard - which was never explicitly tied to a particular country - is obviously Greece.  How confusing is this?  And the leopard was also a symbol for Rome and Persia.  It seems to me, the leopard is Greece because you want it to be.

Which seems to me to make your entire argument a case of it means what you want it to mean.

****Corrected errors from posting in haste while doing work on 2 computers at once****

CJ,

The goat is given as the king of Greece so no one can screw that up.

The leopard in Daniel 7:6 is also obviously Persia not Greece or Alexander, I have always said it was, which is the general interpretation by scholars. Many Bible scholars  including Cowles on p 341 consider it to be Alexander. ( see my previous posts) This makes the last beast Greece/Macedonia-Seleucid from which the Seleucid empire springs forth with the 10 kings. **** End of Edit *****

I don't get what Gramster meant by the goat in ch 8 would have to be Persia, as Daniel didn't include every one of the kingdoms each time in his analogies it does not have to be so. In chap 8  this vision only has the ram and the goat and no more, Babylon is not included. His insistence on Rome being the kingdom in the end from chap 7 or the 4th beast leads him down this road to puzzle piece fit his interpretation. As I previously have meticulously explained to him the Jews had no issues with the Romans in the 2nd century BCE therefore discrediting the whole idea of a complex conspiracy by the god with the Romans, the popes and Papal Europe. The road ended in the 2nd century BCE once Antiochus was toast and the Temple was rededicated. End of story. 

gramster
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Read my post

jcgadfly wrote:

gramster wrote:

More Later

1. I believe this is third time you've posted this summary and each of them are different.

2. I really wish you'd quit lying about what pjts said. he never posited that China or the USA fit the mold. He simply asked why your omniscient deity didn't know about these empires that existed prior to the writing of Daniel.

1. Babylon

2. Media/Persia

3. Macedonia

4  the Seleucid empire

1. Babylon

2. Medo-Persia

3. Greece

Now you can go on if you'd like - I just wanted to clear up your lie.

Read my post. I did not claim that PJTS suggested that these country's "fit the mold". Quite the contrary I pointed out that these countries were brought up to make a point, or for "perspective", which is pretty much what you just said. The reason you gave that he brought these up is accurate as I remember. The logic that God failing to mention these is evidence that He did not know about them is however, completely defunct.

The country's you listed are correct as one set that PJTS suggested. At another time he suggested that Media and Persia were separate and successive. So you need not lie to "cover" for him as he is doing fine.