Homosexuality and AIDS

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Homosexuality and AIDS

Recently, a conversation I had with someone in the real world got me thinking more about this topic.

Obviously, homosexuality doesn't "cause" AIDS; the claim that homosexuality itself is a mechanism for the disease is just devoid of all scientific sense. AIDS is a disease spread through bodily fluids by the virus, HIV, so it is usually transmitted through sexual intercourse or, less commonly, blood.

However, I can't deny that there does seem to be some correlation between homosexuality and AIDS, and sexually transmitted diseases in general. While the vast majority of AIDS victims are heterosexuals, there are much more homosexuals with AIDS in proportion to their population than heterosexuals. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. I've seen articles suggesting that it's because homosexuals are sexually promiscuous, which is probably true to an extent. Perhaps it could also explain why AIDS is so widespread in parts of Africa. I've also seen articles saying that AIDS first entered the U.S. in the male homosexuals population, which could explain why it started out as a supposedly "gay disease," then became regarded as a disease that inflicted everyone as the disease spread through the general population.

I don't know. What do you guys think? Discuss.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

liberatedatheist
atheistScience Freak
liberatedatheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
According to the "peer aids

According to the "peer aids educators" in my high school, anal sex is the riskiest sexual activity because it is most likely to lead to tears in condoms.

I would assume though that when it first started homosexuals probably weren't wearing condoms as frequently either  because pregnancy isn't an issue. Both of these factors would lead to a higher rate of transmission in homosexuals.

I Am My God

The absence of evidence IS evidence of absence

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
"ZERO"

The CDC in Atlanta identified "Patient Zero",  that's  their slang  term for the original source carrier,  has an Air Canada flight attendent from Montreal. The flight attendent picked it up in Haiti in the late '70's and spent the next 5 years spreading it around North America. He was called, by CDC investigators has an "energetic, promscous sexual gymnast" .  Even on his death bed he had no regrets about his life style.  He may have infected nearly 1000 young men directly, and every other victom indirectly.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Mr. XC
High Level DonorSpecial AgentWebsite AdminPlatinum Member
User is offlineOffline
One hypothesis

It is my current understanding that AIDS is more likely to be transmitted to the receiver than the giver.  Of course, condom use and anal sex affect these probabilities, but I think that is more well known.  In heterosexual relationships, it is more probable to transmit from male to female than female to male.  So there is one higher probability transmission (male to female) followed by lower probability transmissions (female to male).   In male homosexual relationships, the receiver can switch roles to a giver, which allows for higher probability transmissions to continue to other others.  I suspect that if gays were to pick a role and stay with it, then transmission rates would go down.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
WTF?

The only reason AIDS hit the homosexual population first is that they were forced to live in the closet, therefore the only places they could go live the sexual lives they wanted to were the seedier parts of town where there families wouldn't find out, like waterfront port areas. Searching for sex in those areas put them in contact with people in sexual contact with many human populations, including HIV/AIDS+ populations from Africa. If there was no cultural stigma to being gay, I don't think AIDS would have hit so hard, since there would have been no reason many men would have lived alter ego lives from their wives and families, in turn infecting them. In the end, it isn't homosexuality that created the "AIDS epidemic", it was fundamentalist religion trying to force everyone into a box, which many were not willing to live in, and the only places that box wasn't enforced...

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"The means in which you take,
dictate the ends in which you find yourself."
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually, the whole

Actually, the whole “patient zero” thing turned out to be in large part poor investigative technique and was repudiated by the people who did the original investigation. Realistically, AIDS is a form of venereal disease and as such, it's spread is conditioned on people engaging in specific risky behaviors (or receiving tainted blood products).

Sure, back in the day when there were like 200 people who were symptomatic (and no other testing existed), contact tracing was done in an attempt to limit the spread of the disease. As it happened, when the lists were all sent to the CDC in Atlanta, there was one guy who turned up as being connected in several cities.

When they finally got the deal on the guy, it turned out that he was a flight attendant and thus had free travel access. He was also into anonymous sex. The fact that he managed to turn up as a possible contact for about a quarter of the people who had what was called at the time GRID (gay related immune disorder) is, in retrospect, hardly surprising.

Really though, consider that we now know there can be a very long incubation period. From the late 70's when the first cases were being noticed, it is not too hard to track back and say that the disease must have been around (granted at a much lower prevalence) during the end of the free love era.

In fact, it was. There are libraries of stored frozen tissue that go back many decades and researchers have identified several people who had the HIV virus and even some symptoms going back to the 1960's. There is even one case that goes back to the 1950's but that case can't be used for much due to possible laboratory contamination.

Also, it bears noting that 200 known infected people is a very small statistical population and it is really not very easy to prove all that much from it. Add to that the fact that the population was divided up across several large cities. So we could even think of this as several much smaller groups of perhaps a few dozen people. This makes it even harder to figure out what was going on, compounded by the fact that Haitian men and hemophiliacs were also turning up with Something that looked like GRID (and really was the same disease).

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Mr. XC
User is offlineOffline
B166ER wrote:The only

B166ER wrote:
The only reason...

I would not say only.  Straight people have sex where their families would not find out too:  It is called cheating.  Ratios to consider include the number of straight people to gay people and the ratio of repeat partners to cheat with vs. new partners to cheat with.  But I get your point...

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. ..." -- Thomas Jefferson

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yah B166er, you have a valid

Yah B166er, you have a valid point in regards to religion trying to force everyone into a box that no small number of people are not willing to live in. However, that is not something that automatically selects for homosexuals.

As I noted above, AIDS is a disease that is dependent on factors related to the range of contact that infected individuals have with others. Hence the reason why hemophiliacs also developed the disease early on. Granted, hemophilia is quite rare but I don't see a reason why hemophiliacs would not visit hookers at about the same level as anyone else. So they must have had a role in spreading the disease among non-monogamous straight people. It is not their fault.

India had an interesting vector early on. During the 70's, they had a population control program that rewarded men who were voluntarily sterilized. Also, there were incidents where men were rounded up and forcibly sterilized. Because these men were seen as “safe” to women, large numbers of them became straight male prostitutes. You do see how this would be a problem?

IV drug users are also a vector worldwide. However, if IV drug users take some reasonable precautions such as using new fresh packaged gear and labeling it with their initials to minimize even accidental sharing, then they can do whatever they want and not really have to worry about spreading diseases.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
anal sex is risky becaus it

anal sex is risky becaus it causes ANAL FISSURES! Virus gets direct access to the bloodstream often during sodomy because of this.

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
I only meant

I only meant that it hit the homosexual population, for the most part, first and hardest for the reason I listed (living in the closet). Heterosexual adulterers had a LOT more options when it came to where they could choose their partners. Any bar/club/event for the most part would do, where gays had to go to very specific places to meet people. Unlike gays, heteros could go almost anywhere to find people to have sex with, where gays were pretty much stuck in the "gay ghetto's". So when the first infected people had sex with someone in that "gay ghetto", the concentrated nature of it led to the infection rates exploding.

I in no way meant to say that they were the only reasons it is the epidemic it is today, and if that's what it sounded like, I'm sorry to have given that impression.

Currently, the approximate time when the virus jumped from other primates to humans is between 1915-30, which means that all those religious bigots were stupid when they called it a "punishment from god", as if that required saying.

And people wonder why I'm so adamant about my support of science and my opposition to fuzzy headed faith based thinking. Just hoping won't create a vaccine or cure to this deadly disease, but science gives us a chance.

For my mom's cousin Leo, who died of AIDS in 1994. An amazing guy, full of life and love. He is sorely missed...

Speaking of Leo, his partner of 15 years at the time had a gene, called the chemokine gene i think, that made him immune to HIV infection. I was wondering if anyone has heard of any new studies for a vaccine/cure using what we know about it? I think it is one of the more promising possibilities in fighting this disease.

"This may shock you, but not everything in the bible is true." The only true statement ever to be uttered by Jean Chauvinism, sociopathic emotional terrorist.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." Mikhail Bakunin
"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme leadership derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
No Gods, No Masters!

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:anal sex is

Kapkao wrote:

anal sex is risky becaus it causes ANAL FISSURES! Virus gets direct access to the bloodstream often during sodomy because of this.

Exactly.... HIV needs blood to blood transfer, which is why sharing a syringe and anal sex are the most common means of transfer... and why once a vagina is introduced into the equation, the likeliness is severely decreased...

Note: Magic Johnson's wife never contracted HIV

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:According to a report

Quote:

According to a report by researchers Norman Hearst and Stephen Hulley in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the odds of a heterosexual becoming infected with AIDS after one episode of penile-vaginal intercourse with someone in a non-high-risk group without a condom are one in 5 million. With a condom it's even safer--one in 50 million. Just to put this in perspective, the chances of someone in your family getting injured next year in a bubble bath are 1 in 1.3 million (source: The Odds on Virtually Everything, Heron House, 1980). You're in much greater danger of being struck by lightning (1 in 600,000), having your house bombed (1 in 290,000), or being murdered (1 in 11,000).

And I read elsewhere that an AMA study determined that lesbians with HIV always or almost always contracted it from IV drug use or sexual contact with a man. I'm sure that there is some sort of Kinsey scale style explanation as to why a lesbian would have gotten HIV from sexual contact with a man.

How do you get HIV? Having sex with a man, using IV drugs, blood transfusion, or your mother if she has HIV. To a much lesser extent a man having sex with a HIV+ woman can get it. Hypothetically a lesbian with sores or cuts on her fingers or mouth could get HIV through sexual contact with another woman. If I remember that AMA study correctly, that hypothetical scenario doesn't seem to actually occur in real life.

What does this mean for you if you don't want HIV? Wear condoms, no anal sex, limit number of sexual partners, don't be a hemophiliac, do not have sexual contact with a man who has sex with men or a woman who has sexual contact with a man who has sex with men, get tested.

But in practice people ignore a lot of this advice. I mean, if you are a gay man what are you going to do? Be abstinent your whole life? What if you need a lot of surgeries and keep getting blood transfusions? What if you get drunk or use crystal meth and keep making terrible choices about who to have sex with? And it was almost funny when I was asked if I have ever had sex with a woman who has had sex with a man who has sex with men. How on earth could I possibly know that? I'de have to be psychic or something to have that information.

I asked a worker at an STD testing facility if I could have gotten HIV from getting someone's blood on my busted knuckles. He said it would be theoretically possible, but in all reasonable likelihood the answer is 'no.'

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am reading this post and

Reading a thread while fighting the urge to start cracking infantile anal jokes isn't easy at all.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
couldn't resist.

ZuS wrote:

Reading a thread while fighting the urge to start cracking infantile anal jokes isn't easy at all.

When you get down to it homosexuality is just one pain in the ass after another.  Is that what you ment ZuS?

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Mr. XC
User is offlineOffline
Blood to blood or bodily fluids?

Rich Woods wrote:
Exactly.... HIV needs blood to blood transfer, ...

What about other bodily fluids, such as semen, vaginal fluid, pre-ejaculate, or breast milk?  Perhaps you meant to say bodily fluids to blood transfer?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:Kapkao

Rich Woods wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

Exactly.... HIV needs blood to blood transfer, which is why sharing a syringe and anal sex are the most common means of transfer... and why once a vagina is introduced into the equation, the likeliness is severely decreased...

Note: Magic Johnson's wife never contracted HIV

Rich Woods knows his STIs............

“A meritocratic society is one in which inequalities of wealth and social position solely reflect the unequal distribution of merit or skills amongst human beings, or are based upon factors beyond human control, for example luck or chance. Such a society is socially just because individuals are judged not by their gender, the colour of their skin or their religion, but according to their talents and willingness to work, or on what Martin Luther King called 'the content of their character'. By extension, social equality is unjust because it treats unequal individuals equally.” "Political Ideologies" by Andrew Heywood (2003)

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
B166ER... Porn Stars were

B166ER... Porn Stars were equally at risk for AIDS as general population homosexuals were................

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. XC wrote:Rich Woods

Mr. XC wrote:

Rich Woods wrote:
Exactly.... HIV needs blood to blood transfer, ...

What about other bodily fluids, such as semen, vaginal fluid, pre-ejaculate, or breast milk?  Perhaps you meant to say bodily fluids to blood transfer?

Hypertechnical, dude......

B166ER
atheist
B166ER's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah

Kapkao wrote:
B166ER... Porn Stars were equally at risk for AIDS as general population homosexuals were................

That's because of the very closed knit and interrelated nature of the porn industry.

No Gods, No Masters!

Mr. XC
User is offlineOffline
Kapkao wrote:Hypertechnical,

Kapkao wrote:

The devil is in the details, which is where I live; at least for technical stuff.

Although it is correct to say that HIV lives in the blood and ultimately goes from a person's blood cells to another person's blood cells, it can travel through other fluids along the way, but this path needs to go into the other person's blood stream for infection.

Indeterminate
User is offlineOffline
Gotta love those CD4-cells.

Gotta love those CD4-cells. So tasty...

The main reasons for the skew towards the gay population are

• anal sex is the highest risk activity,
  • gay men are less inclined to use condoms because there's no risk of pregnancy (and because most other STI's are treatable these days),
  • gay men are on average more promiscuous than the general population, and
  • in many parts of the world the response to gay men being the highest risk group for HIV is to cut services to the evil people rather than to improve services to the ones that need them most,
  • it's very difficult to talk about most of this stuff whilst sounding politically correct, therefore in the west most governments avoid talking about it.

I spent a couple of years in my teens doing voluntary work on this sort of thing. Some uncomfortable truths in there.

The biggest problem in Africa is that rather than trying to educate people into safer behaviours (this goes for the general population too), they often simply penalise them for unsafe behaviours. It's a bit like copyright piracy in one sense: no one in authority bothers to offer a safer alternative. His unholiness doesn't help there either, and the problem isn't confined to Africa; it's just most pronounced there.

The thing is, I have a decent (if nowhere near definitive knowledge) of HIV and AIDS and the related mumbo jumbo, so I can make an informed decision about what risks I'm willing to accept and what risks I'm not. Puts me towards the safer end of my high risk group. I also have lots of options about how to mitigate risks like that. Just have to get the rest of the population into that position and infection rates will go right down.

God: "Thou Must Go from This Place Lest I Visit Thee with Boils!"
Man: "Really? Most people would bring a bottle of wine"

smartypants
Superfan
smartypants's picture
User is offlineOffline
Butter this post is really

Butter this post is really very sad. I thought better of you.

First of all, the largest concentration of AIDS victims is not the gay population, it's Africa, which as we've seen is MILITANTLY homophobic.

I'm also getting really sick of this half-assed, quack "sociological assessment" that gay men are "promiscuous." Let's look at the percentage of people who are gay and then compare that with the percentage of heterosexuals who have engaged in extramarital activities and then we can talk. It's the same sort of morally self-righteous bullshit I'd expect from theists.

And I'm quite confident that not a single person in this thread has grasped the tragic cultural ramifications of this epidemic arriving on the scene at the end of the 1970s.

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:And I'm

smartypants wrote:

And I'm quite confident that not a single person in this thread has grasped the tragic cultural ramifications of this epidemic arriving on the scene at the end of the 1970s.

You have to be an old fart to get it.  I saw it, I lived it.  I don't know which cultural ramifications you are talking about.  But the ones I've seen - increased religious self-righteousness leading to abstinence only education, virginity pledges, "curing" homosexuals, and so on - is bad enough. 

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Indeterminate
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:I'm also

smartypants wrote:

I'm also getting really sick of this half-assed, quack "sociological assessment" that gay men are "promiscuous." Let's look at the percentage of people who are gay and then compare that with the percentage of heterosexuals who have engaged in extramarital activities and then we can talk. It's the same sort of morally self-righteous bullshit I'd expect from theists.

This is a decent summary of some of the more reputable studies that have been done: http://humbumbershoot.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/are-gay-men-more-promiscuous-than-straight-men-analyzing-research-results/ 

Politically inconvenient though the fact may be, gay men are somewhat more promiscuous. It's nowhere even remotely near the level that the anti-gay mob would have the world believe, but we are. 

God: "Thou Must Go from This Place Lest I Visit Thee with Boils!"
Man: "Really? Most people would bring a bottle of wine"

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
LOL "Tragic"

smartypants wrote:

Butter this post is really very sad. I thought better of you.

First of all, the largest concentration of AIDS victims is not the gay population, it's Africa, which as we've seen is MILITANTLY homophobic.

My mother is now same-sex relationships only; has been since 1987 (putting me at about age 4); but that doesn't necessitate "unfettered bath-house sex" is without any meaning in my mind.

There's alo what Janis Ian says about "Political Correctness".  (hint: "to remove objectionable content from all expression" )

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. XC wrote:Kapkao

Mr. XC wrote:

Kapkao wrote:

The devil is in the details, which is where I live; at least for technical stuff.

Although it is correct to say that HIV lives in the blood and ultimately goes from a person's blood cells to another person's blood cells, it can travel through other fluids along the way, but this path needs to go into the other person's blood stream for infection.

So are you or are you not a little Obsessive-Compulsive in your daily, routine endeavors?

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Indeterminate

Indeterminate wrote:

smartypants wrote:

This is a decent summary of some of the more reputable studies that have been done: http://humbumbershoot.wordpress.com/2009/06/09/are-gay-men-more-promiscuous-than-straight-men-analyzing-research-results/ 

Politically inconvenient though the fact may be, gay men are somewhat more promiscuous. It's nowhere even remotely near the level that the anti-gay mob would have the world believe, but we are. 

x100

It wasn't called the "gay disease" without reason, and isn't still a humongous social issue amongst gays as well to this very day simply because of anti-homosexual propaganda.

Mr. XC
User is offlineOffline
Old Fart Examples?

cj wrote:
You have to be an old fart to get it.  I saw it, I lived it.  I don't know which cultural ramifications you are talking about.  But the ones I've seen - increased religious self-righteousness leading to abstinence only education, virginity pledges, "curing" homosexuals, and so on - is bad enough. 

I do not consider myself an old fart...yet...but these seem like recent examples to me....

Kapkao wrote:

So are you or are you not a little Obsessive-Compulsive in your daily, routine endeavors?

I am very selective about my obsessive-compulsiveness, but none of it is daily or routine.  Smiling

And to the judgemental people on this thread, I see this as more of a conversation where at the end of it, we all are hopefully a little wiser after reading the information that people are sharing. I do not think that anyone has claimed to write a dissertation about this and know these things with certainty. Lets stay civil about this and learn from each other.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
smartypants wrote:First of

smartypants wrote:

Okay. Yes, I know. I just meant that a dramatically disproportionate number of AIDS victims in the U.S. were homosexual.

smartypants wrote:

Morally self righteous? Nah.

I don't even think promiscuity is immoral. I wish I had that much fun. I've just seen some fairly convincing statistics on this issue, and judging by what I've read in this thread, at least several of the other posters have as well. It's got nothing do with homosexuality; I'm guessing it's a combination of various social and cultural factors. For example, homosexuals are less likely to be very sexually conservative; that could be a factor. Also, last I checked, in the U.S., they're still not allowed to get married in the vast majority of the states (unfortunately), so obviously, a much larger percentage of heterosexual partners are married. That's obviously a deterrent from having more relationships.   

Eh...it's possible that you think I'm dodging your request with this response because I haven't posted any statistics, but I'm really just lazy.  I might post some statistics in my next post.

smartypants wrote:

I don't know about other people, but I haven't.  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

cj
atheistRational VIP!
cj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. XC wrote:cj wrote:You

Mr. XC wrote:

cj wrote:

I do not consider myself an old fart...yet...but these seem like recent examples to me....

It has been steadily getting worse since Reagan was in office.  The whole hoopla about the "moral majority" was the kickoff.

-- I feel so much better since I stopped trying to believe.

"We are entitled to our own opinions. We're not entitled to our own facts"- Al Franken

"If death isn't sweet oblivion, I will be severely disappointed" - Ruth M.

Kapkao
atheistSuperfan
Kapkao's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. XC wrote:I am very

Mr. XC wrote:

I am very selective about my obsessive-compulsiveness, but none of it is daily or routine.  Smiling

Well I thought I'd take a@ one of the big fish in the pond.

Look, I know you're an admin and all, but...

Quote:
And to the judgemental people on this thread, I see this as more of a conversation where at the end of it, we all are hopefully a little wiser after reading the information that people are sharing. I do not think that anyone has claimed to write a dissertation about this and know these things with certainty. Lets stay civil about this and learn from each other.

... sorry, I'm going to always find bleeding hearts mock-worthy. I have no resentment/harsh judgement/disgust towards gays, though; I'm not 100% straight myself.

edit; forgot a bbcode tag

Mr. XC
User is offlineOffline
Hello

Kapkao wrote:
Well I thought I'd take a@ one of the big fish in the pond.

Well, hello to you too. Sticking out tongue

Kapkao wrote:
Look, I know you're an admin and all, but...

Admin of the site, not a mod.  I tend to stay out of moding people issues, such as yours Sticking out tongue

Kapkao wrote:

... sorry, I'm going to always find bleeding hearts mock-worthy. I have no resentment/harsh judgement/disgust towards gays, though; I'm not 100% straight myself.

That quote was addressed to people who were taking an unhelpful tone towards people whose only problem was sharing their less-than-perfectly-informed/expressed thoughts in a civil manor.  While I find under-informed conversation annoying, I am not going to create a standard for conversation that will discourage people from learning.  I should add that what I said is said as a fellow member of the community and not as a mod.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

butterbattle wrote:

Recently, a conversation I had with someone in the real world got me thinking more about this topic.

Obviously, homosexuality doesn't "cause" AIDS; the claim that homosexuality itself is a mechanism for the disease is just devoid of all scientific sense. AIDS is a disease spread through bodily fluids by the virus, HIV, so it is usually transmitted through sexual intercourse or, less commonly, blood.

There you have the difference. Anal sex commonly results in tearing of the colon permitting a direct semen to blood transmission. Vaginal sex have little risk of tearing unless in rape. The very high rate in parts of Africa is in areas where anal sex is not considered adultery and wives trade in it for extras.

You might try a used book store for "and the band played on" for a reasonably accurate recounting of the early years of the disease. He is correct that the gay community leaders refused to support advertising the dangers of the disease if there were any connection to gays and GRID, Gay Related Immune Deficiency, was out as a name. This concern over image has to have cost thousands of unnecessary deaths. Given the choice between a bad rap and death the self appointed leaders chose death.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml