The bible and foreshadowing science

AnarchyMell
Superfan
AnarchyMell's picture
User is offlineOffline
The bible and foreshadowing science

Anarchism is the only philosophy which brings to man the consciousness of himself; which maintains that God, the State, and society are non-existent, that their promises are null and void, since they can be fulfilled only through man's subordination. Anarchism is therefore the teacher of the unity of life; not merely in nature, but in man.

Emma Goldman

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not much.........realy

Who ever organized the site seems to have a realistic attitude about the difference between science and religion.  I didn't read beyond the first several paragraphs, they are still deluded by a fairy tale.  That's enough for me NOT to bother with the site again.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was skeptical beforehand but after some time on this site

I am now converted and it was this line that, at long last, proved to me god is all over science. Secret wisdom. Cool.

1 Corinthians 2:6-7
We speak a message of wisdom...but not the wisdom of this age...we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

100percentAtheist
atheist
100percentAtheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
AnarchyMell

AnarchyMell wrote:

http://www.pleaseconvinceme.com/index/The_Bible_Foreshadows_Scientific_Discoveries

Has anyone seen this site? What are your thoughts?

I've briefly looked at the site and didn't see anything new that they can offer.  At least they seem to be modest in their rhetoric. 

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
The main word there is

The main word there is 'shadow'. I think it's kind of telling that this biblical insight never actually leads to any scientific discoveries. It's always in retrospect, once science has done all the hard work, that they come and whine "Look! It was foretold in the bible!".

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
I hope you don't mind but I

I hope you don't mind but I posted this in the Mayan/Sumerian conspiracy thread to try to show Aiden that his claim was not special and he was doing the same thing as the people at this website. It is merely looking for something you want to see.

A couple of classic quotes I have seen before that are on this website....one talks about "stretching"(they claim the universe.)

But "stretching" means being pulled and the expansion of the universe is neither pushing or pulling but INFLATING.

And the "circle" Which they claim that the writers of the bible knew it was round. A circle is round, true, but they mention nothing about a BALL or globe, it just calls it a circle. A music CD has the shape of a circle AND is flat. Funny how humans once thought the earth was flat.

I spent a couple sleepless nights a few years back challenging myself to lose my fear of bible quotes to see if this guy could stump me. But with every verse what I found was the same. The guy was reading things into the verse that weren't there, or the verse was patently scientifically absurd.

I do not fear challenging these people on science claims or prophecy claims for that matter. They are merely back peddling because science is putting it in the proper category of myth where it belongs.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

AnarchyMell
Superfan
AnarchyMell's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's one of my friends

It's one of my friends "proofs" of gods existence.  The more I look at it, the more it seems ridiculous.  I'm just new at the refuting xians on their claims, so its nice to get some extra input.  It helps raise my confidence.  Smiling

Thanks!

I found this web site about the bible and a flat earth.  I thought it was really informative.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/febible.htm

Anarchism is the only philosophy which brings to man the consciousness of himself; which maintains that God, the State, and society are non-existent, that their promises are null and void, since they can be fulfilled only through man's subordination. Anarchism is therefore the teacher of the unity of life; not merely in nature, but in man.

Emma Goldman

Whatthedeuce
atheist
Whatthedeuce's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, I read it a few months

Yes, I read it a few months ago. The problem I had with it is that all they are doing is taking advantage of the ambiguity of the way the Bible is written. The things that they read could be interpreted in countless different ways. Its not surprising that it is possible to make facts compatible with incredibly ambiguous statements.

edit: the only way that this would impress me is if the given interpretations were widely accepted before science made its discoveries

I don't understand why the Christians I meet find it so confusing that I care about the fact that they are wasting huge amounts of time and resources playing with their imaginary friend. Even non-confrontational religion hurts atheists because we live in a society which is constantly wasting resources and rejecting rational thinking.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
This is an unfortunate

This is an unfortunate growing tactic among all religions because of mundane human narcissism . If it feels real and the idea of something feeling good is popular, it can't be wrong. This is the same crap that allows new age "healing" and Scientology pop up.

It is nothing more than retrofitting after the fact.

I once  had debates with Muslims, one quoted "mountains moving" in the Koran as proving that Mohammad knew about plate techtonics. Another Muslim quoted "congealed blood" as proof of Mohammad's knowledge of female reproduction as evidence that Allah picks the sex of the baby.

ALL bullshit. It is bullshit to take any ancient myth and try to prop it up with modern science,

Lets say someone came up to you and quoted hieroglphics "Look see the depiction of "sun rays" coming of off Rey. That is proof the Egyptians knew about solar flairs."

That is what deluded people do. They prefer defending the absurd because of the emotional appeal of being right, rather than do the intellectually honest thing and test what they claim to be sure.

The difference between religion and scientific method, is that religion has to be defended to survive. Scientific method isn't about defending something, it is about TESTING and demands the rigors of testing to insure quality of data.

Now that more and more humans are realizing this, they are desperately trying to infuse the two so that they don't have to give up their placebo. This movement among religions of all labels is nothing different than a kid refusing to face the reality that Santa isn't real.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog